Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: Supermodel Snatch Game

• Start Topic

(edited)

I finally got to watch untucked and I liked how awkward Chi Chi and Kim Chi were together at first then they bonded on Turkey Necks and Oxtails.  I love how they were both pleased with the idea of sucking out the marrow!  Kim Chi is a down-low Southerner! 

Nobody doubted at all that Betty and Naomi would be the B2.  It feels weird but Betty's outro on Untucked seemed much longer and, I dunno, more ominous than anyone else's.  Almost like that slo-mo scene you get in those Dateline episodes before somebody gets killed. 

I loved Robbie giving Naomi very accurate and very welcome runway advice.  Yes, she is resting on body and all her runway looks are the same.  Take the advice, Naomi!

But there is something I'm not getting about this Betty is a bitch stuff.  So I get on the show she started off kinda salty but as time went on we saw a softer side to her...she wants to show the AB character.  What I don't understand is Michelle Visage & Bianca coming out and saying that they don't like her.  Why?  I've never been to a BOTS show but from what I'm hearing Michelle is bad mouthing AB and I've seen tweets/posts from Bianca saying she doesn't like her so what's up.  Are they playing into her character?  Meaning are they simply saying this stuff to further along the AB is a bitch story line?  And not only that but B.O.B. and Thorgy saying similar things as well.  I mean to hear them talk I thought A.B. was going to burn the place down if someone pissed her off but yet we are being shown something completely different on T.V.

My reading from the things Bob and Thorgy have said about Betty is that yes she is a bitch and prickly and difficult, but I get the sense that even with all that they both  like Betty.  They hold her in affection despite all that.  So in that sense she can't be all bad.  I can imagine that she's the type who can be off putting until or unless you get to know her and then she may be a good friend.  I have friends like that, people that I have to explain to other people.  After the vidoe message from her sister she was talking about their division of labor in their business.  She is the people person, Betty isn't.  And frankly for all her bitchiness I like Betty's brand way more than, say,  Derrick's.

I love the personalities so I was expecting a lot from Snatch Game.  Only Thorgy and Bob stood out to me.  Bob won - as of course she should -  but I thought Pandora's Carol Channing .....   [1]  I wish Naomi had done Whoopi after all.  Fucking Bob is so clever with her mind games.  Seriously.

I could have coped with a boring Snatch Game if the runway had come up to snuff but GURL PLURLEASEEEEE.  As a Madonna superfan I was expecting a LOT.  [2] She has millions of instantly recognisable iconic looks and 4 queens came out in kimonos??????  That to me not only seemed uninspired but LAZY.  And, a bit of a slap in the face to her Madgesty.  Girls get clocked for wearing lingerie on the runway all the time - no one thought to make that into the Like a Virgin era Madonna??  I mean Naomi, I think you could have pulled something together, don't tell me you don't have a white or black lace panties set.

[1] - I don't know if that was a mind game, though.  It feels like Bob had come with a bunch of complete ideas for Snatch Game and just so happens Whoopi was one of them.  She actually talked more about Carol Channing than Whoopi.  So I didn't get the sense she just pulled Whoopi out to psych out Naomi since she doesn't strike me as that vindictive.  What I got from scene that is that Bob was super excited and wanted to show all her new friends all her great toys.  I mean, she was talking so fast her words were spilling over themselves. 

[2] - Now the Madonna thing is a case where I suspect the Queens did psych themselves out.  When I think of Madonna iconic looks, I  immediately think of:

1) Madonna during the 80s 'Desperately Seeking Susan' time period with the crop tops,  the messy hair, the 10,000 rubber bracelets

2) Like a Virgin Madonna with the bustier wedding dress, the big wonkin's cross necklace and the  Boy-Toy belt.

3) The Vogue tour look that Chi Chi Channeled - The John Paul Gaultier stuff

4) That black and white polka-dot circus top and the white hip hugger pants, and curly hair from the Blonde Ambition tour

So I wonder if maybe they thought, "oh everybody is gonna do those... let me think of the most obscure Madonna look I can" and weirdly they all settled on the Kimono.  LOL.

And finally, I have to mention the LSFYL.  While I don't think either Betty or Naomi killed it, I love that it wasn't one of those desperate lip syncs with all sorts of crazy flourishes. Neither one was trying to get in the others' way and upstage her.  They were basically doing their own thing, and in some cases it looks like they were politely giving each other their own space.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 4
(edited)

It's like my mother always told me, "You only get one chance to make a good first impression." And sometimes, that first impression is enough for people to continue to think one way of you, despite what you may show them afterwards. I suspect Acid Betty tends to make a poor first impression, and since she does seem to be pretty abrasive, and her ex is ALLEGEDLY online posting that AB is physically abusive, as well, it's a perfect storm of hostility brewing there.

I think Bianca has a certain level of charm that Acid Betty seems to lack. Contrast Bianca's dislike of Laganja, which was mostly rolled eyes, "stealing her moment" during "Untucked", and calling her out on her affectations (pretty mild and not terribly offensive) to Acid Betty rolling her eyes at the past winners of the show ("wannabe queens") and interrupting Kim Chi's video from Trixie Mattel by blurting out how ugly Trixie is and telling Kim to fix Trixie's make-up (nasty). I think Bianca knows how to read the crowd better than Acid Betty does.

But I like Acid Betty. I loved her runway looks, I thought she was doing really well in challenges up until this week, and I frankly prefer her personality to Pearl's "flah-zee-dah " laziness. I'm going to miss her on the show, and I think if Bob and Thorgy truly were that upset to see her go, then she may have already found a friend or two, and some queens that wouldn't mind working with her. I hope she does well post-show.

And I just have to add, I absolutely ADORE Thorgy. I would love it if she won, but I think she has that sweetheart personality that just screams "Miss Congeniality" like Katya or DeLa. I hope I'm wrong, but if not, well...look at how much work Katya is doing now. Miss Congeniality is not the death sentence of a queen's career!

**Edited because I CAN spell.

Edited by RobertBestBarbie
  • Love 2

But poor Chi Chi didn't come with a Madonna look prepared, and made all that stuff the night before/that day, per Untucked.

I wouldn't say that is a bad idea for a queen with very limited budget but ability to hand create looks though. Making looks when you come on the show means you have access to a lot more material and tools than you otherwise have, all for free. It does mean your looks aren't going to be the most fabulous thing ever, but in this case if you can't afford a good cone bra or lingerie set making your own is going to be at least on par with the cheap stuff.

(edited)

[1] - I don't know if that was a mind game, though.  It feels like Bob had come with a bunch of complete ideas for Snatch Game and just so happens Whoopi was one of them.  She actually talked more about Carol Channing than Whoopi.  So I didn't get the sense she just pulled Whoopi out to psych out Naomi since she doesn't strike me as that vindictive.  What I got from scene that is that Bob was super excited and wanted to show all her new friends all her great toys.  I mean, she was talking so fast her words were spilling over themselves. 

[2] - Now the Madonna thing is a case where I suspect the Queens did psych themselves out.  When I think of Madonna iconic looks, I  immediately think of:

1) Madonna during the 80s 'Desperately Seeking Susan' time period with the crop tops,  the messy hair, the 10,000 rubber bracelets

2) Like a Virgin Madonna with the bustier wedding dress, the big wonkin's cross necklace and the  Boy-Toy belt.

3) The Vogue tour look that Chi Chi Channeled - The John Paul Gaultier stuff

4) That black and white polka-dot circus top and the white hip hugger pants, and curly hair from the Blonde Ambition tour

So I wonder if maybe they thought, "oh everybody is gonna do those... let me think of the most obscure Madonna look I can" and weirdly they all settled on the Kimono.  LOL.

Agreed, because BOB had the habit and everything from Sister Act.  If it was just the wig and a BOB impression of Whoopi, I might think it was only done to psych Naomi out....but she had the habit and nun outfit and everything so I do think that Whoopi was a real character she had planned.  And how great that she had three fully realized Snatch Game characters ready to go.  Naomi said that New York was her backup, but it looked like she had barely worked on it.  New York is bigger than life!

Speaking of nuns....here is another Madonna look!madonna7.jpg

It's like my mother always told me, "You only get one chance to make a good first impression." And sometimes, that first impression is enough for people to continue to think one way of you, despite what you may show them afterwards. I suspect Acid Betty tends to make a poor first impression, and since she does seem to be pretty abrasive, and her ex is ALLEGEDLY online posting that AB is physically abusive, as well, it's a perfect storm of hostility brewing there.

I think this could be whats going on with AB/Bianca.  Especially if Bianca only spent a limited time around AB.  I hope AB's reputation has been improved by the show.

I also think Miss Congeniality....while not the big prize....can be equally lucrative.  Winning Drag Race gives you 100k and it means that the panel (or just Ru) thinks you're the best.  but Miss Congeniality means that the people love you...the same people who are going to want to buy tickets to your show.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 3
We weren't allowed to do fictional characters. There were certain rules and regulations that came into play.
That's from an interview with Acid Betty about Snatch Game (linked in the Queens of Season 8 thread). If true, I'm surprised that Bob didn't get docked for doing Crazy Eyes instead of Uzo Aduba. There have been a couple other incidences of people doing fictional characters, and I'm not sure how Kimmy Jong Un would fit into those rules.

After seeing this snatch game, I would almost prefer the characters be pre-selected and assigned randomly. The queens didn't do much improv, nor did they really play off each other or do anything that makes this kind of thing funny, in my opinion. Even the people who were praised as doing a good job basically just memorized zany things they could interject, or britney lyrics... I would almost rather see really weirdly bad interpretations than everybody doing their own thing and not playing off each other to create more.

I was impressed with Chi Chi's Eartha Kitt because that seemed so out of left field as a selection...but even Chi Chi's jokes were kind of planned... 

(edited)

but I thought Pandora's Carol Channing was so much better

As an impersonation, I would whole heartedly agree. Pandy is helped by the fact she strongly resembles Channing and get's the persona hands down. Bob's was more Bob's riff on the absurdity that is Carol Channing. Channing might very well be an Icon, but there has always been an undeniable element of WTF? about her persona. Bob captured that. The almost Palinesque word salad that often came streaming from Channing, even in her heyday.  Pandy had a couple of killer, well planned punch lines, Bob had a largely improvised routine that hit all of the right notes, plus CORN (when did I eat corn?.... as the urban legend goes).

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 4

Two lackluster Snatch Game seasons in a row. :/

Is there any chance the kimono thing was 100% producer shenanigans? I wasn't paying full attention and I thought the runway challenge WAS kimonos at first.

• Love 1

Two lackluster Snatch Game seasons in a row. :/

Is there any chance the kimono thing was 100% producer shenanigans? I wasn't paying full attention and I thought the runway challenge WAS kimonos at first.

This seemed a little fishy to me as well!  (get it fishy bwhahaha) To not only allow FOUR flippin queens to do similar looks but to have them come out on the runway one after the other after the other just seemed planned.  Thorgy said herself that she wanted to change her look when she saw everyone else doing it but a producer/handler talker her out of it....that just seems odd.

I too thought Carol Channing was better.  She had the voice down and the mannerisms.  BOB's Channing seemed to be going for modern jokes which isn't a bad thing but personally I preferred the more realistic Channing Pandora did.  I still love Pandy Bear!!  =D

Thanks for the T guys on this AB vs. Bianca thing.  What I do like about AB is that she owns her bitchiness, is fully aware of it, and seems to take great lengths to explain herself and honestly IMO seems to want to improve it--if not a little at least.  IDK, I adore her as well so maybe I'm looking thru rosey glasses. 

I too have meet people like AB who are salty sea dogs but most I've meet don't really feel the need to explain themselves.  Their attitudes are I'm a bitch get the F over it.  Then again they aren't on a reality tv show where popularity and being liked by the people are important.  Actually most would never even bother trying to get people to know or like them so to Acid's credit at least she is trying.  And I agree Bianca has much better people skills soooo IDK as far as a career goes it would seem Miss B would be more successful.  Plus in her exit interview AB said she wanted to do art galleries and things like that and get out of the bar & club scene where I believe she would excel being such a visual and Avant Garde queen. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't know why someone didn't do "Open Your Heart" Madonna. The costume would have been easy, the runway moves could have been poached from the video, and it would have given someone a chance to take off her wig mid-performance without being docked for it.

Edited by dolphincorn
  • Love 1

Was disappointed in the Madonna inspired runway. Didn't these queens think to bring a second option or third option just in case.

Edited by rags
  • Love 2

Didn't Thorgy say she was going to do something different after she saw the other kimonos, but production discouraged her? So maybe a couple of them could have done something else. Weird that (allegedly) production went for the "drama" of having four out of eight Madonna looks be based on one brief look of hers instead of trying to at least vary the looks a bit. It was a disappointing runway, and so many people  are pointing out how many amazing Madonna looks there are. I dropped by Detox's instagram and she'd put up 8 Madonna photos to show how the challenge could have gone. I love her, but honestly I go to her instagram mainly to see if she's put up new pictures of her adorable 5 year old nephew. Everything else is good though.

• Love 1

I'll have you know that Tiffany "New York" Pollard is possibly the greatest reality TV star of all time. I suggest doing a bit of homework.

Ru just did a Podcast with her, so this probably made Naomi's performance of her even more disappointing.

Does anyone else fine Robbie just unlikable? She constantly hypes herself up to only give a wet fart performance Her Seattle sisters are fabulously talented, why in the hell do they let her into their circle? I found her baseball uniform underwhelming, all it was was a pink dress that barely represented a uniform. And I agree with Raja and Raven that she could have padded a little. The only reason Robbie got a toot from them was only the fact that she didn't wear a kimono. 

• Love 3

I lived for Acid and I'm mad af that he went home. That bitch was a tease/goddess on his knees/angel undercover etc., etc., etc. Worth a shady save via sending Robbie to lip sync for his life versus Naomi instead, at least. So I guess I'm team Chi Chi now? SMH.

• Love 1

"Snatch Game" was fun, for the most part. Derrick's doing Britney Spears was about as shocking as RuPaul wearing makeup. It was cute, but Derrick should have gone for crazy like I suggested before, but Derrick is too scared to offend Britney, which IMO was a big mistake. IIRC, Britney's breakdown was 10 years ago and plenty of people have mocked her since, plus Britney's a public figure so she's fair game and Derrick should have risked it and if Britney didn't like it, to quote the old saying, "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke." I doubt that Thorgy Thor was worried about how the Jackson family would feel about his take on Michael Jackson, especially the Blanket-dangling bit, which I loved. Kim Chi didn't seem too worried about sparing Kim Jong-Un's feelings when she imitated his fake sister Kimmy. If any living celebs should have been offended by this "Snatch Game," it should have been Nancy Grace & Tiffany "New York" Pollard, because of Acid Betty and Naomi Smalls, whose imitations of them weren't just bad, they were bo-ring.  Naomi should have either gone totally over-the-top with her New York (big boobs, camera-hogging, delusions of grandeur) or stuck with her original plan of doing Whoopi Goldberg's Celie from The Color Purple while Acid Betty's Nancy Grace should have been loud, rude and judgmental of everyone, including RuPaul.

Speaking of judgmental, Robbie Turner's Diana Vreeland was nothing special, which Diana Vreeland was, as almost any queen who saw To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar or at least read Vogue way back in the day knows. Robbie should have done what her fellow Seattle queens Jinxk Monsoon and Ben De La Crème did when they played seemingly obscure women-made them funny by exaggerating their looks and their personalities. Instead of Ms. Vreeland, Robbie should have played Anna Wintour, who's much more famous than Ms. Vreeland these days because of The Devil Wears Prada, the thinly-veiled story of a young woman's tenure as an assistant for a Wintour-like editor of a fashion magazine. Robbie could have played Ms. Wintour as an ice queen who critiqued everyone's looks, especially Ru's & Guest Judges Chanel Imam & Gigi Hadid. Chi Chi was hilarious. Her Eartha Kitt almost stole the show.

Bob was definitely the Winner of the Week for not only calling Derrick out on her passive-aggressive shadiness, she also played two characters on "Snatch Game" and had the best Madonna-based runway look. Bob not only deserved to win the Main Challenge, even the prize-$7,000 worth of purses-seemed meant for her.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4

Snatch Game is my fav part of this show, but I wasn't impressed with Nancy Grace, Eartha Kitt, or that fashion lady.

I was disappointed by the Madonna show. Really? Four dragtestants chose the same look and the rest chose equally obscure ones? WTF?

I figured Acid Betty was doomed in the DFYL b/c it's nigh impossible to dance in that costume.

I've been watching NBC or CBS's version of Match Game hosted by Alec Baldwin (just because I have such fun memories of the original version and of course, Snatch Game), everytime the music starts I expect to see Rupaul as host and queens as the celebrities! lol

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Aging Goth said:

for two reasons.  "snatch" is a slang expression for lady parts and they must play women

Except when they don't (Little Richard) ;)

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 3:00 PM, Aging Goth said:

for two reasons.  "snatch" is a slang expression for lady parts and they must play women

Ah, I had forgotten about that vulgar expression! That makes sense.

I know this comment is like four years late but sue me, this pandemic has had me doing a binge of all the past seasons I missed. And sorry, I know Season 7 got crapped on a lot but this episode solidified for me that it was still a better season than this one.

This is one of the worse Snatch games episodes of the show that I've ever seen. Ru was trying but I felt like we only got a real laugh out loud from him when Bob was playing Carol Channing and started interacting with Chi Chi as Eartha Kitt.

This was just bad. I mean hell, even boring ass Pearl delivered a decent Big Ang and Violet who was no comedian either, did a serviceable Alyssa. And I mean Ginger's Adele and Kennedy's Little Richard was tops. 

But the most egregious part for me wasn't even the boring as hell Snatch game but WTAF was that runway? These Queens get Madonna as a theme and half of them come out in some basic as kimono? Really - seriously?

The problem with Season 7 is that there weren't many comedians/all around performers, which made many of the main challenges not great. But those bitches could serve some looks on the runway. And I cannot imagine they would have delivered that for a Madonna theme. 

• Love 2
On 5/22/2020 at 12:24 AM, truthaboutluv said:

But the most egregious part for me wasn't even the boring as hell Snatch game but WTAF was that runway? These Queens get Madonna as a theme and half of them come out in some basic as kimono? Really - seriously?

The problem with Season 7 is that there weren't many comedians/all around performers, which made many of the main challenges not great. But those bitches could serve some looks on the runway. And I cannot imagine they would have delivered that for a Madonna theme. 

I'm replying to this a year and half later (finally able to watch the series myself, so I'm binging) and I came here to say the same thing about about the Madonna runway... all the iconic looks she had throughout her 30+ years in the business, and 4 of them chose to do her in a kimono? Just for that alone, at least 3 of them should have had to lip sync. That was pure laziness and I was so disappointed. I think RuPaul should have assigned each of them different Madonna "eras," because it was clear they couldn't think for themselves.

I snipped it out, sorry, but I agree with everything you said about Snatch Game. That was pretty bad.