Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Dejana

Box Office

AMC is also closing: 

3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Closing the theaters is annoying me.  I go to weekday matinees, and I always practice social distancing even when there's not a pandemic...now that I know there's a term for sitting as far away from everybody else as possible.

but not everyone does and theaters need to put their employees and customers safety above everything else. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

but not everyone does and theaters need to put their employees and customers safety above everything else. 

Of course.  I was kind of making a joke.  My typical movie-going experience already resembles what one would expect during a pandemic:  buy the ticket at the kiosk, almost empty theater, not buying concessions.  Easily accomplished by just one employee hunkered upstairs pressing the "play" button.

• Like 2

On ‎03‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 11:25 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Of course.  I was kind of making a joke.  My typical movie-going experience already resembles what one would expect during a pandemic:  buy the ticket at the kiosk, almost empty theater, not buying concessions.  Easily accomplished by just one employee hunkered upstairs pressing the "play" button.

How many people would that employee have to deal with on the way to work?  Or the way home?  Not worth the risk.

8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

How many people would that employee have to deal with on the way to work?  Or the way home? 

Zero, especially if they drive.  And certainly fewer than the employees who are working at restaurants making food for takeout.

• Like 1

The risk would mostly be in who had touched the kiosk right before you, or the armrests of your chair, or any part of the bathroom should you have to use it, or any handle or handrail you have to touch entering or leaving rooms. Workers would have to sanitize the entire theater between every showing, regardless of how many people were in attendance. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, absnow54 said:

The risk would mostly be in who had touched the kiosk right before you, or the armrests of your chair, or any part of the bathroom should you have to use it, or any handle or handrail you have to touch entering or leaving rooms. Workers would have to sanitize the entire theater between every showing, regardless of how many people were in attendance. 

Exactly.  There'd be more than one guy in a projection room involved.  Closing movie theaters makes sense.  People can live without going to the movies for a little while.

It's the theaters' employees who are going to suffer during this crisis, not the people who can't see movies in the theater.

• Like 9

I just found an interesting pair of tweets talking about numbers. However, I haven't done any fact checking. Take these with as much salt as you want.

On the weekend that UK cinemas closed, the No.1 film was MILITARY WIVES which took £346. Absolute madness.

According to Box Office Mojo, the top film in the whole United States is an stop-motion kids film from a tiny independent studio in Brighton & Hove, about a mole who gets magic glasses that let him play football. It took $1,934 at the box office last week https://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2020W1

Wow. Just by luck of timing, movies that wouldn't normally get a second glance are propelled to the top slot. I suppose congratulations are in order for the casts and crews, but it still feels weird.

• Useful 1

42 minutes ago, Dani said:

It’s interesting that the top 5 theaters were drive-ins in California and Detroit. 

Less restrictions for Drive-ins. All my local theaters are on 30% capacity.

9 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Less restrictions for Drive-ins. All my local theaters are on 30% capacity.

Yes, I know. But that advantage is minimal to nonexistent since Drive-ins can only have one show time. 
I was more talking about what it says about where the demand is and people’s mindset about going to the movies.  I’d be curious to see more of a breakdown of the numbers. 

Edited by Dani

Is Godzilla vs Kong simply the right movie at the right time or did people really just hate Godzilla: King of the Monsters? GvK will soon past its worldwide total despite being released same-day VOD and during a pandemic.

Edited by Dejana
  • Like 2

Oh, how I’ve missed you, @Dejana. I can’t wait to get your regular weekly reports again.

• Like 3