Type keyword(s) to search

Box Office

• Start Topic

AMC is also closing: 

3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Closing the theaters is annoying me.  I go to weekday matinees, and I always practice social distancing even when there's not a pandemic...now that I know there's a term for sitting as far away from everybody else as possible.

but not everyone does and theaters need to put their employees and customers safety above everything else. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

but not everyone does and theaters need to put their employees and customers safety above everything else. 

Of course.  I was kind of making a joke.  My typical movie-going experience already resembles what one would expect during a pandemic:  buy the ticket at the kiosk, almost empty theater, not buying concessions.  Easily accomplished by just one employee hunkered upstairs pressing the "play" button.

• Love 1
On ‎03‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 11:25 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Of course.  I was kind of making a joke.  My typical movie-going experience already resembles what one would expect during a pandemic:  buy the ticket at the kiosk, almost empty theater, not buying concessions.  Easily accomplished by just one employee hunkered upstairs pressing the "play" button.

How many people would that employee have to deal with on the way to work?  Or the way home?  Not worth the risk.

The risk would mostly be in who had touched the kiosk right before you, or the armrests of your chair, or any part of the bathroom should you have to use it, or any handle or handrail you have to touch entering or leaving rooms. Workers would have to sanitize the entire theater between every showing, regardless of how many people were in attendance. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, absnow54 said:

The risk would mostly be in who had touched the kiosk right before you, or the armrests of your chair, or any part of the bathroom should you have to use it, or any handle or handrail you have to touch entering or leaving rooms. Workers would have to sanitize the entire theater between every showing, regardless of how many people were in attendance. 

Exactly.  There'd be more than one guy in a projection room involved.  Closing movie theaters makes sense.  People can live without going to the movies for a little while.

It's the theaters' employees who are going to suffer during this crisis, not the people who can't see movies in the theater.

• Love 9

I just found an interesting pair of tweets talking about numbers. However, I haven't done any fact checking. Take these with as much salt as you want.

On the weekend that UK cinemas closed, the No.1 film was MILITARY WIVES which took £346. Absolute madness.

According to Box Office Mojo, the top film in the whole United States is an stop-motion kids film from a tiny independent studio in Brighton & Hove, about a mole who gets magic glasses that let him play football. It took $1,934 at the box office last week https://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2020W1

Wow. Just by luck of timing, movies that wouldn't normally get a second glance are propelled to the top slot. I suppose congratulations are in order for the casts and crews, but it still feels weird.

• Useful 1
9 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Less restrictions for Drive-ins. All my local theaters are on 30% capacity.

Yes, I know. But that advantage is minimal to nonexistent since Drive-ins can only have one show time. 
I was more talking about what it says about where the demand is and people’s mindset about going to the movies.  I’d be curious to see more of a breakdown of the numbers. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)

Is Godzilla vs Kong simply the right movie at the right time or did people really just hate Godzilla: King of the Monsters? GvK will soon past its worldwide total despite being released same-day VOD and during a pandemic.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Trini said:

Always good advice to not count chickens before they're hatched, but I hope Barbie does well just so we get more "girly" movies -- made by women for women.

'Box Office Outlook - ‘Barbie’ Pre-Sales ... Glamming Up For $80M-$100M Opening; ‘Oppenheimer’ Has Shot At Possible $50M'

I agree. It’s feels like it has been so long since we got a big movies for women.

I saw the box office estimate and was worried it was going to be another movie crippled by a ridiculously high budget. I’m so relieved that the budget is reported to be $100 million. 

I really hope the studios have learned to stop with the $200 million plus movies. Indy 5 just opened and already seems to be flop thanks to the ridiculously high budget. 

43 minutes ago, Dani said:

I really hope the studios have learned to stop with the $200 million plus movies. Indy 5 just opened yet and already seems to be flop because thanks to the ridiculously high budget. 

Yeah, just got back from it. It's got some really gorgeous scenes as a result of that 300 million dollar budget and 1969 Chicago is really believably recreated, but man is this movie already in a big deep hole.

On 6/29/2023 at 3:50 PM, Trini said:

Always good advice to not count chickens before they're hatched, but I hope Barbie does well just so we get more "girly" movies -- made by women for women.

'Box Office Outlook - ‘Barbie’ Pre-Sales ... Glamming Up For $80M-$100M Opening; ‘Oppenheimer’ Has Shot At Possible $50M'

This is a movie for women?  Some women, I guess.   It's definitely not for me but whatever.  I haven't seen anything which has interested me enough to actually go to the movies since covid. 

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Trini said:

LOL -- other studios already trying to copy the "Barbenheimer" effect. Um - that viral hype took a year to build, and the reason that situation even happened in the first place was essentially spite. But sure; this is actually a normal case of counterprogramming.

Can lightning be caught in a bottle a second time? I'm quite skeptical. I also think the audiences for both of these are a lot smaller.

OTOH, let's see what happens if new episodes of a Star Wars and Star Trek show release at the same time. Let's see who watches which one first.

(edited)

Barbie breaking a few box office records! I know studios are going to learn the wrong lessons, but I hope a few learn the right ones.

------

ETA: https://deadline.com/2023/07/barbie-greta-gerwig-box-office-record-female-1235445883/

One of the prime records Barbie is breaking this weekend is the best domestic start for a movie helmed by a female director with $155M. That figure beats that of 2019’s Captain Marvel which was co-helmed by Anna Boden and had a $153M start.

Globally at an estimated $337M, Barbie is the second best start for a movie from a female [director] after Captain Marvel which did $456.7M. Big numbers: the entire global haul for Gerwig’s awards-blockbuster crossover 2019 title, Little Women, was $218.8M.

Other big starts for movies helmed by a woman filmmaker include Patty Jenkin’s Wonder Woman in 2017 which had a $103.2M stateside start.

Edited by Trini
added another link
  • Like 4

I know Oppenheimer exceeded expectations, but it seems a bit...overstated? I don't know.  It may be my bias against Nolan driving my perception.

I will catch Barbie on Max when it is eventually available.  I am tickled pink that it's doing so well. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 2
8 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I know Oppenheimer exceeded expectations, but it seems a bit...overstated? I don't know.  It may be my bias against Nolan driving my perception.

I agree. It’s doing phenomenally for a Nolan movie (only Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises have had better openings) but the articles are all lumping it with Barbie as though the achievements are on the same level. They just can’t stop themselves from playing into the exact gender dynamics Barbie is addressing. 

You take away Barbie and Oppenheimer isn’t breaking records. You take away Oppenheimer and Barbie is still breaking records. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

You take away Barbie and Oppenheimer isn’t breaking records. You take away Oppenheimer and Barbie is still breaking records. 

Well stated!  No reason why Barbie's success can't stand on its own. I'm hoping that it will continue, and the media will untwine the films. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Well stated!  No reason why Barbie's success can't stand on its own. I'm hoping that it will continue, and the media will untwine the films. 

Exactly! I'm happy both movies are doing well. But I hate how they've combined their names and stuff. Let them both stand on their own. Barbie is doing so great on it's own. It doesn't need to be tied to another movie. Let Barbie enjoy it's success.

• Like 1