Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Retired at last said:

So, we'll have Baby Melanie and Baby Sarah both on the show????? That's too much.

Maaaaaaybe she's matured..?

(Nevermind - High School Chloe and Philip were more mature than their modern incarnations.)

• LOL 3
8 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Dayscafe reports that Melanie will return. Same actress.

Since there is not a 'hell no' emoji reaction....

hell-to-the-no.gif&ehk=sZhfITRB%2BdeIgKr

I loathe recasts, but this would be one of the few exceptions where I would welcome a new actress and a changed personality. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I recently watched both seasons of CSI: Cyber when the show was airing nightly on Start TV. Molly Burnett was in some of the 2nd season as a mentally unwell stalker of one of the main characters and she was convincing to the point where I wished her character hadn't even been introduced. I saw on her IMDB page that she was on a USA Network show called Queen of the South for 31 out of the 62 episodes that aired. I've yet to watch that show so not sure what she was like on there. 

Molly's appearances on Days after her first run weren't as annoying. Having said that Melanie was never one of my favorite characters. I remember being sad Gabi's plan didn't work out way back when...🙃

• Love 5
3 hours ago, RedElf said:

If only Crystal Chappell would come back.

No, thanks. (Just my opinion, to be clear!) Loved Carly 1.0, but 2.0 was a disaster and Chappell's off-screen antics during 2.0 with Nelson Branco soured me on her.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, RedElf said:

If only Crystal Chappell would come back.

I don't see her returning and while I liked Carly the first time around she wasn't the same character in her most recent visit. I was glad to see her go tbh. 

17 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I will always remember Melanie for her love of Cheerios.

I remember they also did the same with Bo/Hope this was when Days had their product placements.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Why couldn't Ben have spent the last year talking about Cheerios? I'd have liked that.

They haven't done such blatant product placement in this show in over a decade. Lani even mentioned Goldfish crackers yet they were discreetly packed in plastic baggies instead of her opening up a huge box of them while giving a speech about how Wonderful they are.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

He wasn't mentioned in this article but I'm sure he'll be leaving when this mystery is resolved. Although he could leave today and it wouldn't make a difference as Jack/Jennifer/JJ have been nonexistent in a murder mystery involving their own family member. Why bother bringing any of them back if this was going to happen?

• Sad 2
  • Applause 1
10 hours ago, SoapsSpoilers said:

Days of our Lives’ Comings & Goings: Chandler Massey Leaves the Show Once Again

Will you miss Will?

I will miss the laughter he brings to each and every scene he's in!

CM has never let a storyline get in the way of his near-constant (and unnerving) smile.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, boes said:

I will miss the laughter he brings to each and every scene he's in!

CM has never let a storyline get in the way of his near-constant (and unnerving) smile.

I always figured his inappropriate smiles in some scenes was just a nervous tick.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

I had a friend who had the hots for Chandler Massey's Will and made fun of Recast Will for looking like a Keebler Elf.

I think at one point the show, under the direction of Recast Will, tried to make Will more like a Sammy Clone (with Adrienne saying outright that he was just like his mother) but he didn't have the chops to pull that off. Recast Will did, however, have really great chemistry with both Paul and Sonny.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I had a friend who had the hots for Chandler Massey's Will and made fun of Recast Will for looking like a Keebler Elf.

I think at one point the show, under the direction of Recast Will, tried to make Will more like a Sammy Clone (with Adrienne ever saying outright that he was just like his mother) but he didn't have the chops to pull that off. Recast Will did, however, have really great chemistry with both Paul and Sonny.

I found his Will a lot more interesting personality wise anyways because he was messy plus he seemed more believable in being attracted to Paul and Sonny than CM's Will.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

See I found him annoying, mainly because he was suddenly a cheater with nothing but excuses and angry "I'm SORRY, Sonny.....but...!" speeches.

It was neat that he physically resembled Sami more, but yeah...he cheated a lot for a guy newly married and that's a bad look.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

See I found him annoying, mainly because he was suddenly a cheater with nothing but excuses and angry "I'm SORRY, Sonny.....but...!" speeches.

It was neat that he physically resembled Sami more, but yeah...he cheated a lot for a guy newly married and that's a bad look.

I don't think its farfetched for Will to cheat on Sonny but his lack of remorse etc is another story. After all who was Will with as far as men before Sonny who was more experienced than him? I do think it lacked creativity though.

• Love 3
(edited)
17 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I don't think its farfetched for Will to cheat on Sonny but his lack of remorse etc is another story. After all who was Will with as far as men before Sonny who was more experienced than him? I do think it lacked creativity though.

I suppose *all* soap characters cheat, technically, but Will just went from being 100% devoted to Sonny to having a random LA fling and then banging Paul "to get the story". It was character assassination, probably to make it easier to justify killing him off. They did something similar with Carl on AW by having him turn evil and plot against his wife Rachel before killing him off. They thought they could get fans to dislike the character. Ha!

I agree, it made complete sense he'd be tempted, having dated no one else, but they didn't lean into that. Wilson deserved better.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I suppose *all* soap characters cheat, technically, but Will just went from being 100% devoted to Sonny to having a random LA fling and then banging Paul "to get the story". It was character assassination, probably to make it easier to justify killing him off. They did something similar with Carl on AW by having him turn evil and plot against his wife Rachel before killing him off. They thought they could get fans to dislike the character. Ha!

I agree, it made complete sense he'd be tempted, having dated no one else, but they didn't lean into that. Wilson deserved better.

Carl was originally evil and I could never get into Carl/Rachel because of all he did to Mac/Rachel through the years so him reverting back isn't farfetched to me. Amanda's disdain for Carl was one of the few things I agreed with her about.  I liked Carl otherwise though great character. 

I do agree about Will that it was poorly set up etc.  they should've shown Will being attracted to other men and not knowing how to deal with it since he settled down too soon after he came out.  Instead of him throwing away his marriage over personal interest. However it seems that cheating is the go-to plot device to shake up a couple even though the more times you use it the less credible the couple is(unless they were built on dysfunction to begin with). Its why Shelle has no credibility to me at this point most of their stories involve Belle stepping out and honestly why should anyone want them together if she has no respect for Shawn at all.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Carl was originally evil and I could never get into Carl/Rachel because of all he did to Mac/Rachel through the years so him reverting back isn't farfetched to me. Amanda's disdain for Carl was one of the few things I agreed with her about.  I liked Carl otherwise though great character. 

It was a really interesting dynamic. I loved Charles Keating regardless of which side of the coin he played. I missed his early years though, so it was easier for me to see him as a reformed mastermind, whose past would mess with the Rachel/Carl lovestory. Maybe if I'd seen the extent of his cruelty towards Mac and Rachel, I wouldn't have bought him as a love interest.

Rachel/Victoria W certainly morphed because of that love story and began acting as a "Lady of the Manor" and less of a grounded woman, which annoyed some. But Keating just sold everything he was given.

Did those of you who saw Stefano and Victor from the early days feel their turns as romanric leads were as believable (with, say, Kate and Maggie, respectively)?

1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I do agree about Will that it was poorly set up etc.  they should've shown Will being attracted to other men and not knowing how to deal with it since he settled down too soon after he came out.  Instead of him throwing away his marriage over personal interest. However it seems that cheating is the go-to plot device to shake up a couple even though the more times you use it the less credible the couple is(unless they were built on dysfunction to begin with). Its why Shelle has no credibility to me at this point most of their stories involve Belle stepping out and honestly why should anyone want them together if she has no respect for Shawn at all.

Perfectly, perfectly said!

• Love 3
(edited)

Did those of you who saw Stefano and Victor from the early days feel their turns as romanric leads were as believable (with, say, Kate and Maggie, respectively)?

6 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Stefano and Victor were never written as romantic leads because they never respected women.  They wanted to possess and control them.  However, Victor and Kate were each other's true loves in my opinion.  Victor never tried to  manipulate bully or coerce Kate into being with him. He showed growth by letting Kate make her choice to be with him.

Victor was enchanted with the beautiful and mysterious Kate since the moment he first saw her at Titan. Kate craved the security and the power that Victor could give her and Lucas.  Victor adored Lucas and was there for him as a father.  Kate and Victor could have been an awesome grey power couple but JER derailed their story because he had beef with John Aniston and did everything  with his poison pen to marginalize Victor via Kate.  

Too much has happened between Kate and Victor over the years for them to ever be a viable couple.. I still remember with fondness how well Sherry wrote them.  Victor/Kate was the last couple she created on the show before she left in the 90's.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 5
(edited)

I will say that Guy Wilson has my respect. He was brutally ripped apart on social media for not being as pretty as Chandler Massey (like I said I have a friend who called him a Keebler Elf) and he handled that extremely well. Dude has a thick skin, which you're generally going to need to have as an actor. Guy is still chugging along as an actor despite his experience on Days which we all know damn well couldn't have been pleasant. Days has a long track record of sour, abrupt exits and his had to be one of them.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Didn't he get a mess of tattoos? That left me with the (possibly incorrect) impression he was done with acting...

1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

Victor was enchanted with the beautiful and mysterious Kate since the moment he first saw her at Titan. Kate craved the security and the power that Victor could give her and Lucas.  Victor adored Lucas and was there for him as a father.  Kate and Victor could have been an awesome grey power couple but JER derailed their story because he had beef with John Aniston and did everything  with his poison pen to marginalize Victor via Kate.  

Too much has happened between Kate and Victor over the years for them to ever be a viable couple.. I still remember with fondness how well Sherry wrote them.  Victor/Kate was the last couple she created on the show before she left in the 90's.

Cool - yeah I could see them being equals. She'd have been better with him longterm compared to Maggie and Viv. Was he furious she married Stefano, his competitor?

I hope Sherri won some Emmys. She built so much and so well.

• Love 1

Cool - yeah I could see them being equals. She'd have been better with him longterm compared to Maggie and Viv. Was he furious she married Stefano, his competitor?

No he was tickled pink and gave Kate away at her wedding to Stefano. He thought that those two deserved one another.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Didn't he get a mess of tattoos? That left me with the (possibly incorrect) impression he was done with acting...

I mean, if Machine Gun Kelly can act with all the tattoos he has, anything is possible. Guy does have active, current listings on IMDB. He can't play the boy next door anymore or a Hallmark hunk (let's be honest, that was never really him) but he can probably pivot towards rougher roles. He does seem to be bulking up so I'm guessing he's going for a different category of roles now.

Also, again, if they can cover up Machine Gun Kelly so he can play Tommy Lee, anything is possible.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

With the longer hair Guy would  made me think of Wesley Eure a bit. Wesley's time on Days was before I was able to watch but I've seen him in clips and other stuff over the years. Episodes of Password Plus air on Buzzr that were taped during his time on Days air every so often when he'd be a celeb partner.

• Love 2
On 7/8/2022 at 2:38 AM, JBC344 said:

She is/was the star of the show for many years. Her frequent visits boost ratings. I think with Allison, she misses Days but would be just fine if she left it permanently. She has accomplished/ carved out exactly what she wants to do with her partnership w/ Hallmark.

I wonder where that partnership stands, because sadly Hallmark Movies and Mysteries isn't making mysteries anymore and she starred in two such series with them.  If memory serves, she was a producer for the second series as well.  Does she also make the bland love stories and Christmas movies the regular Hallmark channel churns out?

• Love 2

...it's insane.

I mean, if they dye his hair a different color and give him a goatee and an accent...and a limp...and Juliard training...maaaaaaybe. But he can't pull any of those off.

...this is really just shameless. They aren't even trying to pretend not to be giving him special treatment. They're flaunting it. Bringing him back the very next week as a different character? 😒 Subtle. 

Who do they think RSW is - Eileen Davidson?

(sad reality: yes.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1

If they wanted to bring back RSW as a different character they should've done that to begin with and then paired him with Ciara would've been less damaging. Granted it couldn't be Alex since he and Ciara are related but like Ben's long lost twin or something. They could've done with him like GH did with Kevin/Ryan(although RSW isn't on Jon Lindstrom's level acting wise).

That being said I like the idea of Alex that I read so far a womanizer just like his father was when he started the show. I just think someone other than RSW should play Alex as I expected him to be closer to Nicole's age.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

if you're introducing a new character I probably wouldn't stick his first scenes on the show with Bonnie and this version of Maggie.  

Stupid Ron kills Adrienne so we're cheated of scenes with Steve, Jack and Adrienne.  Now we're cheated of Adrienne and Alex.   Ron also killed Angelica so we're cheated of the drama of Adrienne and Angelica. Throw in Jack too.  The family drama we're missing out on.  

This stupid show.  If you're not a Black/Brady  or DiMera you don't matter much to Ron

• Love 5
5 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

That being said I like the idea of Alex that I read so far a womanizer just like his father was when he started the show. I just think someone other than RSW should play Alex as I expected him to be closer to Nicole's age.

Ron killed off Anjelica and Adrienne so what is the point of bringing Alex back without his two mothers fighting over him.  Alex should be much older than RSW..

• Like 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

That being said I like the idea of Alex that I read so far a womanizer just like his father was when he started the show.

Eww.

I'm beyond grossed out that they keep making him out to be some super stud. He just.....isn't. No offense, but I've never seen it from RSW. He postures and that's it.

And they're totally going to make Victor's exit storyline about him, aren't they? 😡

Christ, now he's been positioned as the new Victor.

*insert more throw up gifs*

I like EOB better than RSW. I like guy who plays Jake better than RSW. I even think I liked SS better than RSW!

Please, PLEASE stop rearranging this universe for him. I can't watch it.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I'm assuming, that since Ben/Ollie is now becoming Alex/Ben/Ollie,  the new character he's playing will, for no possible reason that makes any sense, have to stay at the expanding accordion-like apartment inhabited by Marlena, John, and half of Salem, rather than the Kiriakis Mansion, because there's no way in hell Alex/Ben/Ollie is coming to Salem and NOT getting to see Dr. Marlena Evans in her nightgown pantsuit.  That romance, the love that dare not squawk its name, will NOT be allowed to wither.  Nope, No Sirree BOB.  Dr. Marlena Evans will only put up with so much!

I doubt it will happen, but I would love it if Show called him Alex Ben Ollie, give this all sort of a really perverted A Thousand and One Nights vibe.

Show is already off its head, what's one more dip into absurdity?

• Sad 1
  • LOL 12
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Who do they think RSW is

Josh Taylor?  And yes, I know Roman's appearance was more than 2 weeks after the CK character.  I guess when the writers like you, they REALLY really like you 😁

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I don't hate RSW.  I don't think anyone on this show is such a phenomenal actor that he's *that* much worse than everyone else.  I think he's nice to look at.

But that said... WTF?  How is he coming back as a new character after such a short time?? And why him?

This is so stupid.  I'm sure that there are plenty of young, good looking actors in Hollywood looking to catch a break that would love to play a new character on Days (even if it is a dying soap opera).  He must be on contract and neither side could break it?  But that's ridiculous too, considering it happens all the time. 

I don't get it.  I don't think it's going to work.  I still think newRex is oldBrady for pete's sake. 

• Like 4
  • Love 6

Ron clearly gets off on the whole doubles thing. We've seen more of them all at once during his tenure than ever before:

Abigail/Gabby/Laura and Gabi

Adrienne/Bonnie

Hattie/Marlena

Hope/Princess Gina

The many masks of Kristen (Nicole, Sarah, etc)

Susan/Kirsten

Stefan/Jake

Shane/his lookalike

Tony/Andre

It's been beaten to death....

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, MsTree said:

Josh Taylor?

Josh Taylor was on the digital series last week as Chris Kostichek.  Paul didn't even make any comments about how he looks like Roman.

4 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

But that said... WTF?  How is he coming back as a new character after such a short time?? And why him?

Well, in his first scene as Alex he's almost naked, so we know why Ron brought him back.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

I thought it would be 2-3 months before the new character is introduced. The audience will have whiplash. Especially folks who watch the show once in a while. I don’t mind RSW, but I don’t think he has the acting chops to play anything more than a version of Ben Weston. I will be pleasantly surprised if he can pull it off. Lots of talented young actors looking for a break.

• Applause 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
39 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

I thought it would be 2-3 months before the new character is introduced. The audience will have whiplash. Especially folks who watch the show once in a while. I don’t mind RSW, but I don’t think he has the acting chops to play anything more than a version of Ben Weston. I will be pleasantly surprised if he can pull it off. Lots of talented young actors looking for a break.

True but those talented young actors obviously do not have the  connections to get in for an audition.  RSW has a champion in Ron who is the headwriter and Deidre Hall who allegedly went to bat for him to get his job back as Ben after the serial killer story had ended..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2