Type keyword(s) to search

Music in Lucifer

Figured that since the music in this show has been a topic of conversation in and of itself, it deserved it's own topic!

For myself, personally, the music chosen for many of the scenes has really gone a long way to enhance the scene and my enjoyment of the show.  

Not even touching on the way the piano and what Lucifer chooses to play on it, has given hints to the character's state of mind from time to time.

So a topic for music in Lucifer!  I know we've discussed songs that have already been used and mentioned songs we'd like to see used.  I've recently come across one that I think might be 'affordable' enough and I think would fit with the theme of the show.

Lawless (featuring Sydney Wayser) cover of "Dear God".  

(edited)

Thanks for creating the thread! I just came to do the same thing after a conversation got going in the last episode thread and here it was already. I hope everyone who has made suggestions in episode threads will repost them here as well.

My modest (and some somewhat obscure) suggestions so far:

"Sleeping in the Devil's Bed" - Daniel Lanois

"The Devil You Know" - Joan Armatrading

"Me and the Devil Blues" - Robert Johnson

"Hellhound on My Trail" - Robert Johnson

"Crossroads" - Robert Johnson (the song most associated with the myth that he sold his soul to the devil for his musical gift — but it has no explicit references)

"Heaven is a Place on Earth" - Belinda Carlisle (well, that one won't be obscure to any child of the '80s!)

"There Must Be an Angel (Playing with My Heart)" - Eurythmics

"Angel" - Sarah MacLachlan

I also stumbled on an interesting compilation on Salon.com, and of course there is a ton of suggestions in the comments:

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/25/the_18_best_songs_about_the_devil/

Edited to add — why not the original XTC version of "Dear God"? So awesome.

Edited by Margherita Erdman
  • Love 1

I will dissent if they ever attempt to slip in "The Devil Went Down to Georgia."  Please no. Just. No.

Although it could be funny in the right context, say Lucifer and his bespoke clothing finds himself investigating a case at a country&western bar amidst the sawdust and line dancing and is moved to disavow the song and its story, loudly and with great dismay.

It's just humble opinion tbh.  The Lawless version, used in the movie Spotlight, to me is just more intense than the original.

Different tones, different purposes, for sure. The XTC original isn't in a "voice" or mood that aligns with Lucifer's personality, but I could see it fitting with a storyline involving disillusioned/despairing children or a child or family that is a victim of the crime of the week, for instance.

Although it could be funny in the right context, say Lucifer and his bespoke clothing finds himself investigating a case at a country&western bar amidst the sawdust and line dancing and is moved to disavow the song and its story, loudly and with great dismay.

You have a good point. However, my fear is that Hollywood writers will immediately make a spectacle of stereotypes rather than good writing. And then I'll be forced to hate the show.  I'm not from Georgia, nor even a Southerner, but I'm sure I'll hate what they do.

However, my fear is that Hollywood writers will immediately make a spectacle of stereotypes rather than good writing. And then I'll be forced to hate the show. I'm not from Georgia, nor even a Southerner, but I'm sure I'll hate what they do.

True, I see and cede your point (and I say that as someone with half my family in the deep South and Southwest) — the only way I can imagine it could work is with the not-so-surprising twist that Lucifer would *pretend* as long as possible, protecting his chosen image, to be a shiny-suited Brit snob about the violin vs. the "fiddle," only to be forced at the end into some kind of showdown/hoedown (in defense of some innocent soul in peril of course), demonstrating that he's a virtuoso at bluegrass/roots/folk as well. To drop the cherry in the Shirley Temple ;) — his Mephistophelean visage could begin to glow through as the fiddling became faster and the strings began to burn hotter.

But there's plenty of better music to get through before they resort to something so obvious and overdone. One can only hope.

Please let the show go on long enough for a soundtrack album or two, or just regular releases on iTunes after every episode. That piano duet (is it a duet if two people are playing at the same piano?) — I would love to have a full version of that. And then Robert Johnson — for example! They could squeeze (no pun intended) a lot of very good music and storytelling and winks at blues folklore from bringing him in. Just a mysterious traveling guitar-playing stranger perhaps, one who knows Lucifer from waaaay back. Or a mediocre bluesman who wants the same deal, and Lucifer tries to dissuade him...

I wish there was a way to download the full version of Tom Ellis singing "Sinnerman". I love it so much.

I would love that too, much as I love Nina Simone and the original. The best artists give way to the best covers, I always think.

I'd also make a small side bargain with a minor demon for a recording, audio and video, of a full-length version of the piano duel from A Priest Walks into A Bar (which is apparently an improv jam piece, or so all my Internet/electronic music research tells me — even Siri declares it's the cast of Lucifer just messing around, which is NOT the song title). Stupid Chloe ruins everything, interrupting it like that. Don't you know you stay in the shadows unnoticed when blues/jazz musicians have got something really great going on. Just enjoy it. DON'T intrude, don't kill the vibe.

Thinking about that good artists-good covers rule above though — there *are* exceptions. Please don't subject us to some hackneyed version of "Hallelujah" when Lucifer and Chloe finally get it on. Yes, I love the song too and not for nothing it is right up there with the metaphysical poets in mixing sexual and spiritual longing. But enough already. Are there any amo alt-rock types left who *haven't* covered it?

In fact, let's leave that song out altogether and leave them as friends, find Lucifer either a better suited mate or a circuitously non-monogamous narrative path to celibacy as part of his spiritual journey.

• Love 1

I wish there was a way to download the full version of Tom Ellis singing "Sinnerman". I love it so much.

In an AfterBuzzTV interview, showrunner Joe Henderson said Tom Ellis actually recorded a longer version of "Sinnerman" and they want to find a way to release it. The issue is that the song was only licensed to be used in the episode, so Fox (or someone) will have to spend money for the rights to release the song separately.

I'd also make a small side bargain with a minor demon for a recording, audio and video, of a full-length version of the piano duel from A Priest Walks into A Bar (which is apparently an improv jam piece, or so all my Internet/electronic music research tells me — even Siri declares it's the cast of Lucifer just messing around, which is NOT the song title).

Actually, it IS a song called "Mess Around" originally by Ray Charles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNe5npkid-s

I don't have Spotify, but I created a YouTube playlist of the songs used on the show as well as in the promos. It's up to 74 songs so far.

• Love 2

Actually, it IS a song called "Mess Around" originally by Ray Charles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNe5npkid-s

I don't have Spotify, but I created a YouTube playlist of the songs used on the show as well as in the promos. It's up to 74 songs so far.

Ooh, thanks so much on both counts! I looked at and listened to clips from a few different songs called Mess Around and Messin' Around but they sounded nothing like the piano piece, and the only credits from the show given anywhere were "cast members."

I too hope they work out a deal on "Sinnerman."

This thread has got me doing a deep dive browsing my music library... I'd somehow forgotten how much I love Warren Zevon, have almost his whole catalogue and haven't listened to any of it in forever — he's got a bunch of songs that would fit right in. "Dirty Little Religion," "Indifference of Heaven," " Join Me in L.A.," "Life'll Kill Ya," "Sacrificial Lambs," "The Sin."

I know there's been a Johnny Cash selection already but there's so much more there from the man in black and his constant struggle between good and evil.

And how about Bob Marley's " Redemption Song"? His family is quite particular about licensing his music though!

• Love 1
(edited)

I had never heard of Warren Zevon but I checked out those songs and like them! "Join Me in LA" is my favorite of them. It's too bad the lyrics to "Angel Dressed In Black" is obviously about a woman or that could've been another one for Lucifer.

I also never heard of "Mess of a Man" by Matthew Mayfield until I stumbled across this fanvid that convinced me it's perfect for the show.

Edited by vampdetective

- Hell's Bells by AC/DC

- The Devil You Know - Econoline Crush

- Better the Devil You Know - Kylie Minogue (for comedic value)

- Satan's Bed - Pearl Jam

- The Devil in her Heart - The Beatles

- (You're the) Devil in Disguise - Elvis Presley

- The Silver Tongued Devil and I - Kris Kristofferson

- To Beat the Devil - Kris Kristofferson

Margherita, if they used Sarah McLachlan's Angel, that would be most depressing ep ever considering the subject matter of the song. They could probably pull it off though.

In an AfterBuzzTV interview, showrunner Joe Henderson said Tom Ellis actually recorded a longer version of "Sinnerman" and they want to find a way to release it. The issue is that the song was only licensed to be used in the episode, so Fox (or someone) will have to spend money for the rights to release the song separately.

Have the copyright laws been changed since I stopped working in the music industry? Since when does one need to spend money to cover a song? If they change the lyrics, they need approval from the author/rights holder. If they keep the original lyrics, they just need to credit properly and the authors get the royalties.

Just seperate it from the show by getting Ellis a one track record deal and make an amendment to his Lucifer contract regarding the percentage of artist royalties he has to pay to the production company. Which, let's be honest won't be much as cover versions are usually not very profitable for the performer. Which is why Elvis always insisted on buying the rights to the songs he covered - and why Dolly Parton told him to get lost when he wanted to have I Will Always Love You. Smart Woman.

Have the copyright laws been changed since I stopped working in the music industry? Since when does one need to spend money to cover a song? If they change the lyrics, they need approval from the author/rights holder. If they keep the original lyrics, they just need to credit properly and the authors get the royalties.

Just seperate it from the show by getting Ellis a one track record deal and make an amendment to his Lucifer contract regarding the percentage of artist royalties he has to pay to the production company. Which, let's be honest won't be much as cover versions are usually not very profitable for the performer. Which is why Elvis always insisted on buying the rights to the songs he covered - and why Dolly Parton told him to get lost when he wanted to have I Will Always Love You. Smart Woman.

I'm guessing that if you're making a profit from the cover (which inclusion in a TV show would be), then you have to pay the copyright holder. And if you then want to release the song in another medium not covered by the original license, then you have to pay again.

One way to get around the licensing that could be for Tom to re-record the song and then release it for free. But that assumes that Tom and the piano player would do it for free, and that they can get someone with the skills and professional-level recording equipment to donate their time for free.

I read a comment on another board suggesting that we ask Joe Henderson to just do a Kickstarter to cover the licensing costs. But after seeing what hoops the Veronica Mars creator had to go through with Warner Bros. to get a Veronica Mars Kickstarter going (it took years and repeated asking), I'm guessing that Warner Bros. would veto a Kickstarter for this.

Maybe it can be included as an extra on the Lucifer DVD set?

I'm guessing that if you're making a profit from the cover (which inclusion in a TV show would be), then you have to pay the copyright holder. And if you then want to release the song in another medium not covered by the original license, then you have to pay again.

One way to get around the licensing that could be for Tom to re-record the song and then release it for free. But that assumes that Tom and the piano player would do it for free, and that they can get someone with the skills and professional-level recording equipment to donate their time for free.

I read a comment on another board suggesting that we ask Joe Henderson to just do a Kickstarter to cover the licensing costs. But after seeing what hoops the Veronica Mars creator had to go through with Warner Bros. to get a Veronica Mars Kickstarter going (it took years and repeated asking), I'm guessing that Warner Bros. would veto a Kickstarter for this.

Maybe it can be included as an extra on the Lucifer DVD set?

I didn't realise the series was a Warner Bros. production. That explains them bolloxing it up actually. Ellis and everyone else on the track doing it for free wouldn't change a thing regarding the rights and royalties questions. Looks as if the production company was too short sighted to take things like having a lead who can hold a tune and the audience wanting to get their hands on a recording into the equation. Of course using the song in an episode is subject to clearance, but I'm pretty sure there are people at Warner Bros. Records who could have helped them requring all rights needed without breaking the bank if the music departement of the show lacks the experience or time.

I'm starting to feel as if 'licensing rights' is used as an excuse for everything someone can't be arsed to clear or release. I worked for a major label for a decade, most of this time handling licensing of the artists on my roster's work as well as their marketing and while sometimes it is hard or impossible to aquire or give rights for certain tracks, licensing a track for use in the show but blocking for release doesn't sound right to me.

• Love 2

Thanks for the clarification on how the biz works!

I can't blame them too much for shortsightedness. While tons of fans are asking for Sinnerman, I hardly see any demand for Devil May Care, the other song Tom performed on the show. So why pay for extra rights if demand is uncertain? The delay now might be Warner Bros. bureaucracy or (I hope) an extra to include on the DVD set.

I would give up a kidney (not mine, of course, but someone's) to hear Lucifer sing/play Amaral's "Nocturnal".  The song is in Spanish, but the lyrics are haunting and it just seems to fit him so well.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Lucifer had some of the best soundtrack cuts for May, according to THR. 

'Lucifer,' 'Shadowhunters' Top TV Soundtracks;

From the article: (Why don't we have a quote button available on the mobile version of the site?)

"Netflix's Lucifer had the most songs on the list from season four, including "My Love Will Never Die" from AG (featuring Claire Wyndham), "The Beast" by Old Caltone and "Silvia" (Roboberget Remix) from Miike Snow."

It's also interesting to note that the track that was chosen as their #1, Kaleo's "Way Down We Go," was also part of Lucifer's S2 soundtrack.

Edited by ProudMary
Spelling typo

Really enjoying the music from this show.  It's really spot on and there's some great artists included. Having fun building a playlist with the music from the show.  

Favorites:

In the air tonight cover

Ashes Clair Guerreso

My Love Will Never Die.

• Love 1
On 4/21/2016 at 7:48 AM, Sonja said:

- Hell's Bells by AC/DC

- The Devil You Know - Econoline Crush

- Better the Devil You Know - Kylie Minogue (for comedic value)

- Satan's Bed - Pearl Jam

- The Devil in her Heart - The Beatles

- (You're the) Devil in Disguise - Elvis Presley

- The Silver Tongued Devil and I - Kris Kristofferson

- To Beat the Devil - Kris Kristofferson

Margherita, if they used Sarah McLachlan's Angel, that would be most depressing ep ever considering the subject matter of the song. They could probably pull it off though.

You know that ‘Angel’, is abt heroin use, right?  Sarah wrote that song in memory of a good friend who died of it.  Angel is the street name for heroin.

I cringe when this song is used as a memorial when loved ones pass on, tho I know she gave in when JFK Jr, wife & SIL died.

On 6/24/2019 at 11:28 AM, Chaosiswelcome said:

Really enjoying the music from this show.  It's really spot on and there's some great artists included. Having fun building a playlist with the music from the show.  

Favorites:

In the air tonight cover

Ashes Clair Guerreso

My Love Will Never Die.

hate hate hate that ‘In the Air Tonight’ cover.    That is one untouchable, iconic song.