Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Mayan Misery

(edited)

The yoga teacher, Shannon, had a lot of plant knowledge and "primitive" experience (their words.) Caz, Cas,? is a former solider and ex cop. Interesting. So they were in Belize with part swamp area, part cave "system" and other jungle terrain. How do they keep the cougars away? Is the camera crew armed? And can't bats have rabies? I always wanted to go to Belize, but not like that.

Edited by ari333

Quite a few of the guys are ex-military. Some explicitly mention that the went through survival training or taught survival training.  I believe that most of the women explicitly said they did primitive survival training.

Another episode where the people nearly starved to death.  I liked how they mention that most of the groups go after the snake because it can't run away.  At least this time they managed to cook and not burn it.

I though in Borneo, they pretty much chased away anything with legs that could kill the people.  Either they did the same thing here or the cougars decided to keep away from the humans.

• Love 1

These two seemed to care about each other, work together, and take the load when one was down and that was nice.

I was really worried when I saw the woman's ribs.

Weird (or not) that the most difficult part of the trek is getting to the pickup point which takes place at the very end when they're at their worst. I get it though that it wouldn't make much sense to do it early ....or would it? As in, go ahead and charge out at the beginning.and reach the pickup point early while you're still strong; then hang out there for however many days, getting dehydrated and starving, but at least you're at your pickup point. I didn't say that well, but you get my drift.  

• Love 1

I think that part of the agreement is that they hike from their drop off point, camp at or near the location indicated on the map and only at the 21 day mark do they move. Part of it may be that the ahead team scoped out an area that would have water and (maybe) food. The pickup point would just be a spot easy for the pilot or boat captain.

• Love 1

This was kind of a boring episode. The people seemed pleasant & seemed to get along well, but they did a lot of just laying around & being hungry. Although, the throwing rocks at the monkey & the monkey throwing a stick back was pretty funny.

I taped & struggled through the after show. It continues to get worse. The host sucks so much that I wish someone would throw him out in the jungle without anything & leave him there. It was nice to hear the contestants talk about how they used humor a lot to get through. Why they can't show extra clips of moments like that is beyond me. Idiots.

• Love 2

I tried to struggle through the after show once and I hated it, so I don't bother.

I liked these two people.  Good team work and holding each other up. 

I'm a little surprised they didn't fish in the swamp.  Aren't there usually fish in those things?

• Love 1

Why won't they show clips of the couple talking about what they wanted to eat or who of the camera crew they would eat first? That sounds more fun than watching a second group nearly starve to death.

• Love 1

i'm replying in the latest show forum-- but my question really applies to all the episodes so far-- why don't the folks make some shoes/sandals???

Now- i remember 'shoes-of-sorts' near the end of S2 ep3 i think but I just don't get why that isn't a clear priority?  With the usually ample cordage material, it seems it can't be that hard or too time consuming a task.   And it would make so many rings easier/faster. traveling, hunting, gathering, injury prevention, stability, and comfort !

Somebody- maybe a survivalist- help me here?

• Love 1

I'm not a survivalist, but I watch them on TV.

I thought main priorities are shelter, fire and food. Clearly the last one is the hardest.  They are also tasked with getting to their spot, establishing a shelter and gathering wood to keep a fire going for the night.  I think that most of them chose to push through to their site to check it out, find water and secure it.

I remember Alison from the Maldives was all about weaving palm fronds for hats, mat to carry Jonathan off of the island.  Maybe the sandals they tried to make were more of a hindrance than help.

I blame the editing monkeys.

Seems like now the "machete/hunting knife and the fire starter" are the special items that each team has.  Sort of like "R S T L N E" for the final Wheel of Fortune puzzle.  So why not at least give them something else that might be more remotely interesting to viewers?  

I think using the light on your camcorder to navigate through a dark cave is sort of cheating.  Would be more authentic if they had to use torches, but I suppose for that they would need kerosene, which nobody chooses as their special survival item.

Kind of a boring episode.  They have the ready made shelter, they laid around or tried to find food for 16 days.  Ate one snake.  And then hiked out.  Snoozefest.

I thought these two were a terrible team. They often worked separately and that bugged me.

I also am with ari333 on the idea of getting to the extraction point right away while they are at their strongest. Or at least closer to it and then shelter in place. What surprises me is that not many move too far away from their shelter to find food sources. Primitve people would follow food, not just shelter in place.

Also the shoes thing bugs the living hell out of me too Kazootie. I'd fashion a leaf hat for shade and tie flat pieces of wood to my feet. I'd also research the shit out of as many areas as possible online before the show and look at the parasititc INSECTS etc in every area and how the primitive people remedied these pests. Perhaps a native plant in the area keeps bugs away etc. Ya know what I mean??

I'd also research the shit out of as many areas as possible online before the show and look at the parasititc INSECTS etc in every area and how the primitive people remedied these pests. Perhaps a native plant in the area keeps bugs away etc. Ya know what I mean??

I think  that they mentioned, in the after show, that they found leaves that when chewed, helped with the insect bites.  I forgot where it was mentioned that they are told about where they are going to be dropped, so they could research the stuff that could kill them.

I'm glad the guy didn't contract a major infectious disease from a mosquito bite.