Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E20: Hi, My Name Is Rebecca Harris

When Rebecca learns the truth about her father's death, she takes NZT for the first time and uses it to seek justice for his murder. Also, Sands makes a dangerous move against Brian to ensure the success of his new initiative.

• Love 1

So, Rebecca

1. Illegally, takes Brian's NZT.
  2. Decides to persue her father's killer (Sands) off book.
  3. Tricks Mile/Ike to hand over another pill for Brian.
  4. Kills the sniper in the woods and flees the scene.
  5. Bribes the concierge to lie about how they were at the loft.
  6. Lies to Naz about chasing a few leads, and about BBQ sauce.
  7. etc, etc, etc.

And yet she's still harping on about Brian being untruthful and untrustworthy? 

Pot, have you met kettle?

I thought that Rebecca's thought processes were interestingly similar to, yet different from those of Brian, as shown by their noticeably different style of graphical representation.  Which is what you'd expect, but which a less able team of writers may not have made manifest in so simple, yet unmistakable fashion.

This episode seemed distressingly conclusive.

• Love 11

This episode seemed distressingly conclusive.

Yeah I had to search furiously for a few minutes after the episode ended to make sure this was not the season (and potentially series) finale....I mean seriously that Janitor end tag could not have screamed "The End" any more.  My nerves were not calmed upon seeing no future episodes listed on TV.com and google also offered way too many unhelpful results.  Fortunately TheTVDB and FutonCritic both indicate there is indeed still a two part finale yet to come with the first part to air in two weeks.  *phew*

• Love 7
(edited)

-  First and foremost, I absolutely love that this episode's pacing didn't get dragged down by a B-plot, like last week's liver caper.

-  The ending did have a distinct tone of finality to it, but I'll trust the writers to fix that in a reasonable & entertaining fashion.

-  As long as it was only done on a very limited basis [like once a season], I could get used to seeing Rebecca on NZT every once in a great while.

-  Guessing Sands' cohorts will work to get him out of jail.  Also guessing that the resulting fallout is what will get Brian his NZT-fed job back.

-  You can shut off your brain's pain receptor(s).  Convenient, that.  Wish I knew that trick!

-  There's always the chance of a triple-cross, but I knew Piper wasn't all that trustworthy.  Something always just seemed off with her.

-  For those who wanted Brian & Rebecca to stay 'just friends', their hopes took a fairly sizable blow, I think.  Could be wrong, but all signs - & there were quite a few - sure pointed towards more later on.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 4

That was an amazing episode. Nothing on TV at the moment twists on a dime quite like this. I'm laughing along and then suddenly they have me feeling all the feels. Love it.

For those who wanted Brian & Rebecca to stay 'just friends', their hopes took a fairly sizable blow, I think.  Could be wrong, but all signs - & there were quite a few - sure pointed towards more later on.

I personally have loved Brian and Rebecca's friendship. I haven't seen any signs of a ship here and I kind of liked that.

Until now...

I did see it in this episode and they sold me on it a little. I'm now 50/50 - I'd be fine if they went either way.

• Love 6

-  There's always the chance of a triple-cross, but I knew Piper wasn't all that trustworthy.  Something always just seemed off with her.

Maybe I missed some info, but when has it been specified (or hinted) that Piper was double-crossing Brian ?

(edited)

Maybe I missed some info, but when has it been specified (or hinted) that Piper was double-crossing Brian ?

I might have worded that wrong, but what I meant was we were led to believe she was against Morra(/Sands) at first - while not on Brian's side from the word go, either - then worked with Brian to develop and share the immunity shots [& NZT], and now is in Sands' rogue camp.  Not quite a triple-cross, but a little more than a double one (in my mind).

But thinking further, the woman in the new cabal that talked to Sands about it, seemingly implied that they blackmailed Piper into joining/helping them.

So, in the very end, probably best to wait and see just what the final verdict on Piper's storyline ends up playing out as. 

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36

I mean seriously that Janitor end tag could not have screamed "The End" any more.

The one comforting thought was that the janitor actually rescued the nametag from the trash, and put it on his cart.  Earlier, Brian was saying maybe the FBI would give him janitorial work -- it may be in reference to that.  But I was pleased that the nametag was being rescued and not being thrown away.

Nothing to indicate she's double-crossing Brian, but our first introduction to Piper, she was trying to murder a Senator with a sniper rifle!  So, she isn't sugar and spice and all things nice.  If murder is in her playbook, I imagine betrayal and double-cross is too.  And Brian with a full time girlfriend who is a major player in the show, will subtract from Brian/Rebecca.  So, I'm not entirely trustful of Piper, despite the fact that she hasn't done anything specific to suggest she is betraying him.

• Love 3

I was guilty of speculating that Piper was in league with Sands. There was nothing specifically in the text. It was just a feeling based on the fact that:

1. NZT made her cold and focused and Brian had remarked she was sounding a bit like Morra in her attitude;

2. It would make sense she would happily align with someone like Sands against Morra if it helped her achieve her goal and that goal is being free of Morra;

3. There was something personal and manipulative about the bracelet being left in his apartment while he was supposed to be meeting her; and

4. I found it hard to believe Sands would strike out on his own with the NZT without first assuring a supply of the immunity shots

But they threw cold water on that quite quickly this week by having Sands' accomplice tell us they threatened her. I still find it hard to believe he made his play before ensuring her cooperation. But it's a small gripe.

• Love 4

Looking forward to this episode... could (& hope) really set up the final couple of episodes as it races to the finale [of S1].

A 2 parter actually.

• Love 1

Wow. the tone of this was so different than anything else. It had a movie-like quality. I was drawn in. Gripping suspense. The plot development was so quick. I can;t believ ethey would go there so soon this season. I mean, what else can still happen for the rest of the show's run, if Sands and morra are already outed? Idon't know what they would do in Season 2.

There was definitely chemistry between Brian and rebecca. 

also, I came to the conclusion that brian is the only person that can take NZT and not turn bad. Even Rebecca had this ruthless quality about her. Brian stays level headed and moral and so innocent even on NZT. 

Call me shallow, but I never found him particularly good looking, but in this episode he was so beautiful.

anyway....

• Love 8

I loved the opportunity for Rebecca to take the lead.  It was wonderful to explore the differences between her NZT experience and Brian's NZT experience, and to give them these moments of commonality and clarity.  I liked that she called Brian on his deceipt, sabotage, and evidence switching, but could acknowledge how untenable his situation was, and that he acted in what he thought were the best ways open to him.

I loved the etch-a-sketch and stick figures as her illustrative window.

I liked that Sands gave Brian one warning, to even the score.  That he's under arrest is surprising.  I'm not sure if his partners will want him back or will leave him to rot.

I was glad that Rebecca's plan to kidnap his son was a fake-out, but she was definitely in the driven NZT user mold.

Two episodes, huh?  Can't wait.

• Love 6

I apologize.  I think I'm just going to have to retreat to my teenage self.

Oh man, this show...So underviewed and yet so very good.  This episode gave me so many feelings.  I loved seeing Rebecca on NZT and I think it went a long way in helping her understand what Brian experiences. Instead of pushing them apart, the confrontation actually brought them closer together.  "It's not fair, you on NZT, it's not fair."  So adorable.

It did feel like her NZT trip lasted quite a long time or that is the fastest DNA lab ever.  That plan to trap Sands was clever to boot.

I personally have loved Brian and Rebecca's friendship. I haven't seen any signs of a ship here and I kind of liked that.

I did see it in this episode and they sold me on it a little. I'm now 50/50 - I'd be fine if they went either way.

What was shippy in this episode?  I didn't think they were writing them that much differently but maybe I missed something.

I'm kind of torn. I'm usually a shipper but liked that I didn't ship with this show.  However, the show has done such a terrific job of creating such a deep connection between them that I've been waffling on it a bit.  I do know that I resent whenever they try to tell a love story such as Rebecca with Casey or even Brian with Piper.  I resent it not necessarily because I think Rebecca and Brian belong together but because their relationship, whatever it is, has so many more layers and carries so much more weight.  Any of their romances stand in the shadow of that bond. 

Call me shallow, but I never found him particularly good looking, but in this episode he was so beautiful.

Brian/Jake?  I've always thought Jake was handsome but he does have a scruffier look on this show than he did when he was on Greek.  But in the final scene with him wearing a suit?  It's a very good look on him.

And I feel disgustingly mushy but man that last scene was beautiful and did have a sad finality to it. It would be a good ending if it were a series finale but I'm glad we have more episodes.

• Love 4

I thought that Piper was supposed to do what she did: use her marksmanship skills to fake an assassination attempt on Morra by only wounding him to boost his image for his run for President.

A wonderful episode. It's about time Rebecca learned what Brian's life is like and to appreciate him -- unlike his ungrateful father.

An intelligent program. Please let there be a Season 2.

• Love 4
What was shippy in this episode?  I didn't think they were writing them that much differently but maybe I missed something.

I'm kind of torn. I'm usually a shipper but liked that I didn't ship with this show.  However, the show has done such a terrific job of creating such a deep connection between them that I've been waffling on it a bit.

Is pretty much what I meant.

• Love 1

also, I came to the conclusion that brian is the only person that can take NZT and not turn bad. Even Rebecca had this ruthless quality about her. Brian stays level headed and moral and so innocent even on NZT. 

I suspect his attractiveness levels increase to us everytime his ethics, generosity, and self sacrifice are demonstrated.

And...

I apologize.  I think I'm just going to have to retreat to my teenage self....

Heh. When I was pre-pre-teen, I used to fantacize about boys riding in on white horses to save me. Brian is kind of like that, including the innocence and (so far) refreshing lack of sexuality to tittilate the audience.
  • Love 1

I really appreciate the attention to detail this show gives to the lighting effect when Brian is on NZT. This episode the effect seemed to be driven by Rebecca's usage, further indicating the episode was shown from her perspective.

• Love 3

I'm kind of torn. I'm usually a shipper but liked that I didn't ship with this show.  However, the show has done such a terrific job of creating such a deep connection between them that I've been waffling on it a bit.  I do know that I resent whenever they try to tell a love story such as Rebecca with Casey or even Brian with Piper.  I resent it not necessarily because I think Rebecca and Brian belong together but because their relationship, whatever it is, has so many more layers and carries so much more weight.  Any of their romances stand in the shadow of that bond. 

Brian/Jake?  I've always thought Jake was handsome but he does have a scruffier look on this show than he did when he was on Greek.  But in the final scene with him wearing a suit?  It's a very good look on him.

I think they should get together eventually, but not yet. I'd love to see an entire season of them slowly developing real feelings for each other while they're dating other people, and eventually getting together. But the problem is that once they're together, we won't have this kind of work dynamic anymore. If we'll see them as a couple as well, then it'll become oversaturation of the 2 of them. So maybe they should start dating at the end of the show's run.

I thought that Piper was supposed to do what she did: use her marksmanship skills to fake an assassination attempt on Morra by only wounding him to boost his image for his run for President.

I believe it was established in that episode that she did try to kill him.

I suspect his attractiveness levels increase to us everytime his ethics, generosity, and self sacrifice are demonstrated.

And...Heh. When I was pre-pre-teen, I used to fantacize about boys riding in on white horses to save me. 

He has the most gorgeous blue eyes. I live in a community where everyone is bearded, and I guess I'm used to seeing the main actor in a show usually clean-cut and such. But those eyes!! they bore right through you.

(edited)

Okay, I have a few additional comments.

1) i feel a little cheated out of not seeing an exact play by play of Brian explaining to rebecca exactly how the morra/sands thing happened, and about the immunity shot. I 'got it' between the lines, but it wouldve been amazing to see him explain everything exactly. Ditto with the story about Henry watkins being Sands' son. there was a lot of payoff missing here - it wouldve been so amazing to see Rebecca realize just how deeply enmeshed/in trouble Brian is 

2)I think that it was a bit out of character for Sands to show up in person to 'rescue' Henry Watkins, without thinking it could be a trap. Knowing him, I'd ahve thought he'd first try to contact Brian on his own to find out what he wants, etc. - not just walk into a trap.Also, at that point, how much do Naz and Boyle know? Obviously they had a lot of backup, so I'm wondering just exactly how they broke the information to the CJC?

3) I'm wondering if Sands' going rogue was a way for Bradley Cooper to make a graceful exit from the show, in case he doesn't have the time to commit for a 2nd season?

4) The season will probably be quite neatly wrapped up in the 2-part finale, in case it doesn't get renewed. I'm wondering what plotlines they can still come up with for a 2nd season, if the FBI now knows about the immunity shot, about Brian's connection to Morra/Sands... it seems like there isn't really a lot left for them to go with? It almost feels like a one-time 22-part story?... 

5) The funny thing is, that when Rebecca described the feeling of being on NZT, and the addictive nature of it, it totally reminded me of my own situation with adderall. I'm on it for a legitimate reason - I have ADHD and seriously cannot concentrate on a thing without it - and people who don't need it, misuse it to cram for all-nighters in college. HThat's what she was doing with brian - they were popping pill after pill just to keep going. And the way the world lit up for her and the way she felt so alive, with every part of her being awake and alive, is similar to what I feel like when adderall kicks in. I wrote my previous post before I took my dose, and this entire post occurred to me once the Adderall kicked in. I'm able to accomplish everything I need during the first few hours of my dose, especially since I drink a coffee too. By 2-3 pm I feel myself wilting and need another cup of coffee because the Adderall is leaving me....

6) Do we really know where Piper is? Will we see her again?

7) Was Sands drugging up Hutson so that he would be out of commission but yet not dead, because he just couldn't bring himself to do it? But this was his doing?

8) What charges would the FBI file against Sands? What does this mean for Rebecca and Brian, FBI-wise? They also broke a lot of rules here?

Thanks for reading... :D

Edited by Big Mother
  • Love 3

I've been seeing the show as pretty upfront about how his feelings for Rebecca are the largest part of his real motives for staying with the FBI. And the show is pretty upfront in keep Rebecca man-free. To me it's clear the endgame is Brian/Rebecca. But then I thought Warehouse 13's endgame was clearly Pete/Myka. Got a lot of heat for that on another bbs. 

Piper could still be freely allied with Sands but Sands wants extra leverage with the brother to make sure he's the senior partner. In particular it's hard to imagine Sands starting off on his own before he had Piper's enzyme. 

The appearances of Rebecca's "father" as a way of dealing with her issues about his addiction were compelling. Her insistence that Brian has been traitorous I disagree with, but I think it fits her personality to see things like that. 

Morra ditching Amelia Glasser was pretty cold-blooded, but according to Brian's current theory, Morra is the guy responsible for the NZT purges. How is it AG wasn't purged? Also, something that keeps bugging me from the movie, is that Morra himself was caught up in a purge started by someone else. Maybe the series has decided not to stick with that, but I keep thinking it means that there is a player unknown to Brian. And we can't really tell what's up with Morra without knowing what kind of situation he's enmeshed in. 

• Love 3

I read this which bummed me out - gosh, I am hoping Bradley Cooper rides to the rescue and somehow uses some chips to save the show - (I have no idea what sort of chips - just dreaming I guess) - http://www.cancelledscifi.com/sci-fi-tv-shows/limitless/ 

I loved the direction in this episode - some really great stuff again.  

I actually like both of them on the drug - but if the show does come back - it would be nice to do every so often but not always.  

• Love 1

Interesting idea having Rebecca take NZT and spend an episode with her more or less as the lead, complete with her own voiceovers.  While I still think Brian is the better lead, it was a nice diversion.  I liked that her on NZT shared some similarities with Brian, but she was also different in a lot of ways, probably because of her general attitude compared to Brian.  Interesting that she was colder and even more ruthless at times under NZT.  It really does seem like Brian is the only who manages to avoid letting the pill change him in that way.

Surprised that Sands has been caught and arrested, since I had him pegged more as a death in the season finale.  But it sounds like they might have only scratched the surface with him and this cabal. Have a feeling they will be rearing their ugly head again (assuming this show gets another season!)

Naz notices Rebecca being different, and has brought Boyle into the fold.  Uh oh!

Hope the finale is strong and the show gets another season, despite the mediocre to low ratings.  It really has become one of my favorites.  Curious to see if they'll trot out Morra/Bradley Cooper again for the grand finale.  At the very, very least, they better bring back Mike & Ike/Jason!

• Love 1

Morra ditching Amelia Glasser was pretty cold-blooded, but according to Brian's current theory, Morra is the guy responsible for the NZT purges.

Amelia is a gray area.  She says she quit Morra's organization when she suspected a purge was happening base don her information.  She took some NZT with her, kind of like Piper, but her immunity wore off and she kept taking them, then other drugs.

• Love 1
(edited)

I read this which bummed me out - gosh, I am hoping Bradley Cooper rides to the rescue and somehow uses some chips to save the show - (I have no idea what sort of chips - just dreaming I guess) - http://www.cancelledscifi.com/sci-fi-tv-shows/limitless/

I loved the direction in this episode - some really great stuff again.

I actually like both of them on the drug - but if the show does come back - it would be nice to do every so often but not always.

Even though the title of the website is: "Canceled Scifi"

the article ends with:

Status: (Updated 4/6/16) As expected, this show’s numbers dropped after CBS preempted it last week. Despite the renewal fever that has been infecting the broadcast networks of late, I consider this one a toss-up at best for getting a second season (in part due to the network’s poor scheduling). A Call to Action by the fans on the social networks could help its cause, though

So.... Edited by shapeshifter

It seemed obvious to me that Sands would come for his son personally, because children are hostages to fortune. Getting help from any of his associates would be giving them leverage. (Of course, one should reconsider lifestyle choices when you discover that you don't have anyone in your life you can trust.)

• Love 1

anyway....

Hi Shallow, pleased to meet you. What a coincidence, my name's Shallow too. I agree completely.

I missed the shippy too. To me, some men look best scruffy and some look best in suits, I prefer Brian's scruffy look.

It really does seem like Brian is the only who manages to avoid letting the pill change him in that way.

My impression is that it's not that he doesn't let the pill change him. It's that the pill enhances everything and most people do have a dark side, but Brian seems to genuinely not have one.

I seem to remember Rebecca's father looking very different at the beginning of the show - but then it may just be that he was older when shown, and the manifestation was him at his best. (and again, scruffy cute guy. Just saying...)

• Love 2

I missed the shippy too. To me, some men look best scruffy and some look best in suits, I prefer Brian's scruffy look.

I love his t-shirts and what they broadcast about who he is.

My impression is that it's not that he doesn't let the pill change him. It's that the pill enhances everything and most people do have a dark side, but Brian seems to genuinely not have one.

And kudos to the writers/show runners for deciding to go with this premise.

I seem to remember Rebecca's father looking very different at the beginning of the show - but then it may just be that he was older when shown, and the manifestation was him at his best. (and again, scruffy cute guy. Just saying...)

Good point. We know what they say about women being drawn to men like their fathers.

• Love 3
Wow. the tone of this was so different than anything else. It had a movie-like quality. I was drawn in. Gripping suspense.

I'm surprised at the love for this episode. We could barely pay attention, and commented a couple of times during the episode how disinteresting it seemed. It might be because the show left its arc to feature new developments such as Rebecca on NZT, Sands on his own with whatever organization that was and no real case to solve except Rebecca learning what we already knew.

That said, the show deserves to come back. It's great escapist viewing in a fun format. Also, we thought that was the season finale. Good to hear there is more.

Wait! That wasn't the season/series finale? Ok, then. Admittedly, they seem to set up some ideas for season 2 if it is renewed, like Rebecca getting addicted to NZT. But that ending would have worked perfectly for a series finale. That they have more episodes makes me wonder if they aren't going to feel like tacked on filler and out of place. I should probably have more faith in the show, which is usually so much fun to watch. The only episode that I really didn't like is the one where Brian's mother turned on him, though it was the entire family really. I suppose that's another unresolved thread, but I really don't want to see them again if they still harbor the same attitude.

• Love 1

I'm surprised at the love for this episode. We could barely pay attention, and commented a couple of times during the episode how disinteresting it seemed. It might be because the show left its arc to feature new developments such as Rebecca on NZT, Sands on his own with whatever organization that was and no real case to solve except Rebecca learning what we already knew.

That said, the show deserves to come back. It's great escapist viewing in a fun format. Also, we thought that was the season finale. Good to hear there is more.

Agreed. Rebecca is my least favorite main character -- and I liked her even less on NZT -- so an episode with her at the center just wasn't as interesting to me. I adore Brian! His POV is what makes the show for me.

Agreed. Rebecca is my least favorite main character -- and I liked her even less on NZT

Unlike Chuck, where they teased the hell out of "Chuck is special" and couldn't deliver on it (plus overpowered him way too much), Limitless has absolutely nailed why Brian is special. It's because he's just a good guy and a so-so genius. Rebecca? She was a very good genius and caught a lot more out of her NZT dose. She also lied and manipulated and was basically an asshole the entire episode. Unlike everyone else we've seen to date (except for Not-the-murderer-Husband), Brian has been able to be on NZT and still make good moral choices.

It's a killer superpower: just being decent. And it's one the writers can actually deliver on in a way that being "special" and "super" shows can't. Best of all, he has totally screwed up his relationship with the one group of people who can appreciate him, which is at the FBI. It's narrative genius. In the non-NZT way.

Please renew this show.

• Love 7

Something I thought about watching Amelia Glasser (the woman now all messed up from NZT) in this wk's episode...

What would happen if you gave NZT to someone in that condition? Eg. Would the effects stop working when you're that far gone, or would you feel the same as you did before on NZT, just more...decrepit? Can't remember any times the show or movie has addressed that.

Anyway, this episode was fun. I wasn't expecting to see Rebecca on NZT.

• Love 1

At this point, I suppose we are to think Morra's end game is the Presidency. Either he monopolizes NZT to give him the edge on the rest of humanity or his minions performing specific tasks (like Brian keeping an eye on the FBI NZT program.) We are to think Piper's middle game is to kill Morra because she doesn't like him or his way of doing business which involves killing people according to her. Her accusations seem to be truthful but she still seems to be inconsistent. Exposing Morra would stop his nefarious plans. But if she basically wanted to be Morra then exposing him would interfere with a monopoly on NZT. The unknown players from the movie? Ah, who knows if they still exist in the series' universe?

But what does Brian want in the end, besides Rebecca? I hope that the series accepts that Brian would opt for everybody to be on NZT, meaning he wants to get the enzyme and mass produce it. But that would make Limitless a cousin to The 4400 or Alphas, where everybody becoming powerful in some way or other would revolutionize society. TV is against revolutions. (That's why those two series couldn't finish, I think.) An ending where Brian realizes he's just an addict would be incredibly down beat, though.

(edited)

I hope that the series accepts that Brian would opt for everybody to be on NZT, meaning he wants to get the enzyme and mass produce it. But that would make Limitless a cousin to The 4400 or Alphas, where everybody becoming powerful in some way or other would revolutionize society. TV is against revolutions. (That's why those two series couldn't finish, I think.) An ending where Brian realizes he's just an addict would be incredibly down beat, though.

I hope Brian has already accepted that most people have a dark side that takes over when they are on NZT and realizes it should not be widely distributed. Brian's not Walter White.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5
(edited)

This episode was way too short.  I agree that they didn't go into enough details when Brian was explaining things.  They wasted too much time on other conversations.   Rebecca's dad was played by Murray Bartlett in this episode, but not before. 

I wonder about the next two episodes.  Was this the original end, with the next two just undoing the ending to set up another season?

If they get another series, maybe Brian won't be on NZT, but Rebecca will.

I'm going to watch this again.

Edited by atomationage
  • Love 1

Haven't read all the comments yet but I think I'm going to be in the minority.

The last episode I thoroughly enjoyed was the Fundamentals of Naked Portraiture. After that it went to hell in a handbasket and I haven't completly enjoyed an episode since and I'm just not as passionate about the show as I once was.

They screwed up. They ruined a good thing by making all the eggs come home to roost and everybody crapping all over the Lead's head about every little thing he did/does. It's depressing.

And no, I didn't enjoy this episode. It was part pissing me off (oh, it's okay for Brian on NZT to be Brian on NZT when it's something YOU WANT huh? YOU Can lie, cheat, even STEAL, but if Brian does it it's handcuffs and a gun in his face? REALLY? UGH!!!!) and totally uninterested.

You know it's bad when I secretly, painfully have the thought that I wouldn't approve a second season.

They took something potentially GREAT and EFFED. IT. UP. There's no coming back from this one.

Brian just said he could never take NZT again.

And it's only 2 shows left. And I dont' care. They messed up my favorite new show and it's OVER. NO WAY it's getting a second season after this shit show it's been lately. Dammit. I loved this show...

• Love 2

Genuinely curious: why?

Because she's meticulous about rules, until it's about her getting her revenge, and then suddenly none of the rules matter anymore. Piper's LIFE could have been in danger. As far as Brian or Rebecca knew, it was. But no, let's prioritize Rebecca's sweet revenge over someone's life, over Brian's future, over his ability to keep working at the FBI or taking NZT or being the person she has come to know. She didn't give a single thought to Brian until the very end, and I don't think that was just NZT. I get that she loved her Dad, but as her Dad pointed out to her, she more or less sacrificed Brian, who actually cares about her, for her Dad, who's already dead and can't care anymore.

As intelligent as Rebecca is, she could have figured Brian's situation out without NZT a long time ago, if she actually gave it much thought.

Also does this mean Brian has to go to jail? His being free was entirely conditional on his working for the FBI.

• Love 4

Hecate7, that's a great rundown of Rebecca's failings in this episode while on NZT, and proves my earlier comment/point that so far, Brian is the only one we've seen with a pure enough "heart" to be on NZT and not start to turn into a selfish monster. IRC, Rebecca was a little apologetic at the end when she was off NZT--or did I imagine that?

Anyway, about Brian going to jail, I think his "I have to leave" meant he was going on the run--which might lead him to Piper and the crew who now don't have Sands as their leader, and so they might be ripe for a more altruistic leader...

• Love 1

Sands' crew, being on NZT, should find a way to spring him pretty quickly. Brian I expect hoped that taking down Sands would help Piper more than anything other than physically rescuing her. 

One aspect of NZT Rebecca that I thought reflected her personality very clearly was the unquestioning assumption that the FBI and its policy of total prohibition other than for Brian, who was under their total control, is both just and wise. I don't think it is necessarily either. To me, it's like thinking the government has to have total control over the internet lest it cause problems for the people running things now. Even if you view NZT merely as an addictive drug, I'm not convinced that criminalization of drug addiction has been just and wise either. I think there are hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of people ensnared in an unjust system, even imprisoned. It should be an outrage, I think. I see it as a terrible blot on this society that this situation is so widely approved. And I don't see the Rebeccas, personally honest defenders of the system though they are, as absolved from the system's crimes by the personal disinterest in the outcomes. Sincerity is virtue that can be purchased by self-deception, which is cheap indeed.

I don't know what Morra's or Piper's ultimate plans for NZT and society are, but Brian's lack of plans are not what is so great about Brian, I think. Government suppression of NZT so the world stays the same may get him Rebecca in the end (if the show is renewed enough to get there,) but it's not a particularly noble or heroic goal. Really, isn't that kind of self-serving on Brian's part?

• Love 2

One aspect of NZT Rebecca that I thought reflected her personality very clearly was the unquestioning assumption that the FBI and its policy of total prohibition other than for Brian, who was under their total control, is both just and wise. I don't think it is necessarily either. To me, it's like thinking the government has to have total control over the internet lest it cause problems for the people running things now. Even if you view NZT merely as an addictive drug, I'm not convinced that criminalization of drug addiction has been just and wise either. I think there are hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of people ensnared in an unjust system, even imprisoned. It should be an outrage, I think. I see it as a terrible blot on this society that this situation is so widely approved. And I don't see the Rebeccas, personally honest defenders of the system though they are, as absolved from the system's crimes by the personal disinterest in the outcomes. Sincerity is virtue that can be purchased by self-deception, which is cheap indeed.

I think that's extremely well said.

I don't think that the FBI directly gets to say what is prohibited and what is not -- that is the job of Parliament.  But your point well made -- why on earth would "The Man" get to decide that an IQ-boosting pharmaceutical was an illegal drug, instead of a valuable medication?  You could easily argue that someone who can only use 10% of their brain was seriously impaired, and that anything that reversed that situation was beneficial.  But of course, that sort of benefit has always been reserved for the ruling elite, whoever they are.