Type keyword(s) to search

Everybody Wants Some! (2016)

portfino
  • Start Topic

Richard Linklater's "spiritual sequel" to Dazed & Confused covers the last weekend before college begins for a freshman pitcher on the baseball team, starring Blake Jenner, Glen Powell, Zoey Deutch, Tyler Hoechlin.

I saw an advanced screening and was very impressed. The entire cast creates such indelible characters despite initially seeming so similar. The plot may be loose, but the charm is perfectly calibrated.

This was one of the most fun movies I 've seen in a while. These days, even our comic book heroes have to be dark and edgy. This was just good, not-so-clean fun.

Can I just say that the guy who plays Finn (who looked sooo familiar- but I had to imdb him to find out he played Chad on Scream Queens) walked away with that movie.

Finally made it wide enough for me to see in my podunk state.

This was wonderful. So wonderful that I'm bummed nobody's going to see this until it hits Netflix or Redbox, but I'm glad that Richard Linklater was willing to make a labor of love even if he knew it wasn't going to be some big hit.

I love that it fits into the type of movies being made at the time- you could fit this pretty easily with Fast Times At Ridgemont Time, but what makes it better than that is the very subtle character development. Richard's great at showing, not telling. You don't have to be told who someone is because you recognize ALL of these people. Willoughby. the stoner guy who's all about being mellow and following your own weirdness bliss. Jake, the guy I referred to in college as the "balanced" guy who can comfortably flit across all the different scenes of college. McReynolds, the guy obsessed with his own reflection and makes everything in a big competition. Finnegan, the guy who "gets" it, gets everything, but at the same time you know he desperately doesn't want to leave just yet. And Plummer, the short, cute, muscular guy who's kind of dumb but kind of game for mostly anything.

It did such a great job of capturing that excitement of your first week at college.

• Love 1

Saw it today - wanted to catch it before it disappears. Which is a shame, but as @methodwriter85 says, this will hopefully catch on thru VOD/ netflix etc.

The types of players, the styles/ hairstyles, even the parties reminded me of HS/ college. And everything as competition! It had everything but the proverbial "bet someone to drink whatever you can put in a glass" type of challenge. The knuckle fight! Everybody knows it's best two out of three!

The soundtrack was awesome - I kept thinking while watching the movie "such an 80s movie to have a great pop music soundtrack. I'd have bought this cd circa 1985. 

(edited)

Shame this movie didn't get an audience in the theater, but hopefully it's going to find life on rentals and streaming.

I do think a lot of these actors are going to do quite well for themselves. I bet Glenn Powell is going to be a future mainstay of Richard Linklater productions.

Anyway, I got to re-watch it twice On Demand and it's still a fun time. I noticed how hysterical Plummer is (the short guy in the polo shirt who's Jake's main buddy in this.) He seems to have been drunk/stoned throughout the entire movie, which seemed right and very much reminded me of a guy I was friends with who looked kind of like him.

Also, this movie was the first time I actually thought Blake Jenner was hot and an actually decent actor. He just needed to get away from a shit character created as a desperate replacement for Finn Hudson. He later proved me right in Edge of 17.

Edited by methodwriter85
(edited)

My son and I just watched this the other day and we loved it. Loved how they would just go change their shirts to go to the different bars.  Reminded me how my friend and I would go to the dance bar one night and the country bar the next and we'd wear the same type of outfit but we had cowboy boots for the country bar.

On 4/18/2016 at 10:59 AM, sacrebleu said:

Can I just say that the guy who plays Finn (who looked sooo familiar- but I had to imdb him to find out he played Chad on Scream Queens) walked away with that movie.

Love him, he totally did. I hope Glen Powell becomes a big star because he is great. 

The soundtrack was awesome. 

5 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Anyway, I got to re-watch it twice On Demand and it's still a fun time. I noticed how hysterical Plummer is (the short guy in the polo shirt who's Jake's main buddy in this.) He seems to have been drunk/stoned throughout the entire movie, which seemed right and very much reminded me of a guy I was friends with who looked kind of like him.

Yeah he was the kind of funny that just kind of sneaks up on you throughout the movie. By the end I was like, I knew so many people who were like this guy. 

Edited by festivus
(edited)
15 hours ago, festivus said:

My son and I just watched this the other day and we loved it. Loved how they would just go change their shirts to go to the different bars.  Reminded me how my friend and I would go to the dance bar one night and the country bar the next and we'd wear the same type of outfit but we had cowboy boots for the country bar.

Yeah he was the kind of funny that just kind of sneaks up on you throughout the movie. By the end I was like, I knew so many people who were like this guy. 

I loved how they explored all these different scenes in the movie. Reminds me of my own college days. Some nights, I'd be with a bunch of preppy frat kids; some nights I'd be with emo kids.

Plummer's reaction to the drag queen was hysterical. I think Temple Baker is going to make a great supporting character actor.

Edited by methodwriter85
(edited)

I love that Glen Powell and Zoey Deutch are reuniting for a Netflix project. I previously watched the interviews for the film's press tour, and they had fun chemistry. 

Edited by tongueincheek
12 minutes ago, tongueincheek said:

I love that Glen Powell and Zoey Deutch are reuniting for a Netflix project. I previously watched the interviews for the film's press tour, and they had fun chemistry. 

Ooh, that should be good.

Here's an article from GQ that talks about filming.

I had to laugh at Temple Baker's bit about how he panicked a little when he met with Richard because he got a haircut. It seems like most of the guys in the movie wore wigs- Tyler, Ryan, and Glen were pretty obvious, while Blake's wig was actually pretty good. You only know that's a wig because in stuff he made at the same time his hair is pretty short. Plummer's shorter hair actually works really well for the character- I thought his general look was more 80's than straight 70's like the older students.

It sounds like they had a blast filming it.