Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Once Upon A Runway

• Start Topic

I hate that Aisha won.  I'll never like her or Sam no matter what they do.  I'm thinking Dom is going to win this...there's no way she can't.  Unless Isaac wants his crush to win.  Wow Kesha's hair was so..so ..so yellow.

At the very start of the season, I would have felt the same way. But Asha has come in and humbled herself. Even the way she accepted this win was very gracious and humble. It's like she wised up and realised that she wasn't really on Project Runway when she was on Under the Gunn and that most people weren't really impressed by that particular show. I couldn't stand her on UTG, but her attitude here is more mature and her designs are generally decent.

To my utter surprise, I've been really liking Ken, so I hope the promo for next week is a mis-direct.  I'm guessing Ken either grew up a lot or else got help/meds between his season and this one.  Either way, bravo to him for a big turn-around (so far).  

I don't see any way Dom doesn't win this, so I still just want to see Kini outlast Sam, and after that, I don't really care what order they go in.  

Agreed about Ken. He's one of my favourite things about this season, although I couldn't stand him on his original season. Maybe he got some therapy too to work through his anger issues. I think he really did have some family problems that did a number on him emotionally.

I was sitting there trying to figure out who was blowing who between PR and Finding Neverland - this is the second tie-in - and then I realized that Harvey Weinstein is a lead producer of Neverland and mystery solved.

Believe it or not, it's already the 3rd tie-in! Original recipe had a tie-in, last season on PR:Juniors there was a tie-in, and now here on All-Stars. Wouldn't be surprised if they brought back Under the Gunn just so they can plug Finding Neverland once again!

• Love 3

Two episodes in a row without cringing in horror or screaming at my TV at what the former Miss Teen Steam is wearing. Way to go, Alyssa('s new stylist)!  This week's 'What the fuck is that' went to Zanna's workroom schmatta.

My favorite Tinkerbell is Kylie's ersatz Tink in Moulin Rouge, and I can think of no more real-life spritely person than Kylie Minogue. She'd look amazing in Dom's design. I wish it would have won.

• Love 5
(edited)

Especially since the challenge that Alyssa read from the cue cards at the bookstore specifically said that they were supposed to use the original fairy tales as their inspiration, not just the pop culture (aka Disney) versions that we're all familiar with.

They would have to give them time to read the original stories, I bet. Most of them are probably most familiar with Disney -- and it sounded like the judges were too.

Most of the original fairy tales are only a few pages long so it wouldn't have taken very long for the designers to read them

As long as this show is what it is, it's just as well they were mostly all going with the Disney versions and didn't make any real attempt to tie in the clothes to the original stories. The original stories are dealing with things that are too serious to be expressed in "modern on-trend" ready-to-wear.   The only show it'd make sense on would be Face-Off or something like it.   Actually one of the better themed challenges on Top Chef a couple of years ago was the Snow White and the Huntsman challenge, where they had to make dark fairy tale foods - and chefs were able to serve hearts and livers on a plate, and such.  I can't see anything but an avant-garde challenge allowing the designers to do anything along that line, and even then they'd likely be dinged for being literal or costumey.

The fact that Zanna believes The Little Mermaid is a story about freedom ( what is it she said?  that the mermaid has finally found her feet?) shows that she is thinking of the Disney cartoon.  Because in the original story the mermaid is in continual torment on her feet - she feels like she's walking on knife blades every second.

I'm not sure i would have wanted to see what Sam would have come up with to express silencing, self-mutilation and the destruction of the soul. Although sadly, probably the same dress.

Agree about Sam's dress - but in terms of the original story I don't get destruction of the soul - just the opposite.  A soulless monster who'd been born to prey on human victims suffers the torments of hopeless, unrequited love, and because she chooses to love unselfishly, dies but earns an immortal soul. It's a beautiful, sad story and one that I don't think I'd like to see made into a dress.  Or a jumpsuit.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2
(edited)

I am not a fan of Sam's personality but I actually really liked Sam's outfit.  Blue and green makes me kind of crazy.  I thought Georgina would throw him right to the top again.  I liked the futuristic tones too.

You guys are making me feel like I need to go back to school.  Your analysis of the metaphors and subtexts of fairy tales really impresses me.  There is no way I could put together what Dom's outfit had to do with Tinkerbell.

I was really bored this episode and that's not normal for me.

I still like Valerie's orange jumpsuit from last week and I still think that was a crock.  She was the winner of challenge 1 and they just have been tearing her down from there.

I realized this episode that I really don't like Dom's personality.  There's nothing "bad" about her but her whole thing is complimenting herself and patting herself on the back in that very weird high pitched voice and then raising her arms while doing it.  

I live in Canada and I'm trying so hard to access mylifetime.com to see the outfits, but it keeps redirecting me to the useless Canadian site.  Does anyone know how I can get around this?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Sam's initial concept kind of threw me for a loop. He wanted to use the netting to have the appearance of a fishnet scooping the Little Mermaid from the sea.

Parts of the original HC Andersen tale are disturbing enough w/o the poor thing being captured in a net.

Hard to reconcile the Disney versions with any of the actual fairy tales. They certainly did a disservice to some fine storytelling. Then to shrink them to Little Golden Book size? Calgon take me away.

I think this challenge did another disservice to the originals.

Snipped...

I live in Canada and I'm trying so hard to access mylifetime.com to see the outfits, but it keeps redirecting me to the useless Canadian site.  Does anyone know how I can get around this?

The PTV recaps not only show the designs but are fun to read.

• Love 2

I thought Kini's look was horrible, and was shocked at the praise it got. The girl looked like she was in some kind of Halloween costume, and as usual it totally confused me about when the judges decided to praise that vs. pan it.

Then again Kini is some kind of sacred cow on this show. I think he's been acting like a surly annoying child personally, but apparently he's the hero of the piece for most people. But as much of a brat as Sam was early on, Kini's inability to act like an adult and just move on show's his real self I think.

Not that Sam is any kind of hero (or had any kind of decent look this episode either--I mean his was just plain bad). 

• Love 1
(edited)

All they asked for is a modern day version of what these characters would wear.  They did not ask them to deal with their psyches and  create something showing their angst.   It was a fun lighthearted challenge.  

I agree with all, Dom should have won!  What a perfect, punk modern day Tinkerbell!  So cute and hip.  All of them loved it except Issac.  He said that you could go into any ready to wear sport section and put that together.  Ridiculous, no you could not.   He has too much influence and Alyssa cannot stand up to him as Heidi does the judges on PR. Heidi did not back down if her opinion differed from Michael Kors, a more talented, more famous, more respected designer than the likes of Isaac.  

I know what happened to Ken!  He saw himself on TV and read all the negative feedback.  That is plenty to turn yourself around!  I have come to really like him. 

I thought Sam's dress was hideous, HIDEOUS.  But I did agree that the right person went home, it showed no creativity and did not come near to what Cinderella would wear today.  A short flirty, cocktail dress with a full skirt worn with boots would have been perfect.  Modern girls don't wear gowns unless an event requires it.  Not to mention the color and fit of that dress was horrible. 

I just watched it this morning and read most of this thread but missed why some are saying Rapunzel should have worn orange and what is up with Issac loving those flats?  I get it that the choice was because the hem was too short but is there any other significance to all of the flat hoopla? 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

Agree about Sam's dress - but in terms of the original story I don't get destruction of the soul - just the opposite.  A soulless monster who'd been born to prey on human victims suffers the torments of hopeless, unrequited love, and because she chooses to love unselfishly, dies but earns an immortal soul. It's a beautiful, sad story and one that I don't think I'd like to see made into a dress.  Or a jumpsuit.

Oh, I read that story completely differently, or maybe we read different versions. In my head, the story is deathless elemental woman who is royalty in her own world saves pretty man because she's awesome, agrees to give up her voice and her immortality to enter his world, even if it means she loses much of her freedom and her strength, and has to dance on knives for him because he likes to watch. Then he marries the boss' daughter instead, and she gets to go poof because it's up to him whether she has an immortal soul or not. In the end, she got on the double-secret soul waitlist because she decided to kill herself instead of him.

Kind of a metaphor for womens' roles in traditional patriarchal society, I always thought.

But then, I think Alexander's dress would have been pretty good for the version of Cinderella where her sisters chop off bits of their own feet and have their eyes eaten out by birds...

• Love 2
(edited)

I think my favorite part of the episode was when Zanna walked into the workroom. The look on Kini's face and how Dom had her finger pressed on her lips as if to stifle her laughs.

Oh, I read that story completely differently, or maybe we read different versions. In my head, the story is deathless elemental woman who is royalty in her own world saves pretty man because she's awesome, agrees to give up her voice and her immortality to enter his world, even if it means she loses much of her freedom and her strength, and has to dance on knives for him because he likes to watch. Then he marries the boss' daughter instead, and she gets to go poof because it's up to him whether she has an immortal soul or not. In the end, she got on the double-secret soul waitlist because she decided to kill herself instead of him.

Julia- You're right about that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Mermaid

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1
(edited)

The real winner this week was Alyssa Milano, who for a change looked like the pretty girl she used to be.

Way to go, Alyssa('s new stylist)!

Agreed. These last few episodes, and this one most of all, she finally looks like herself. You could tune into this episode as a non-viewer, not hear her speak, and be someone who hadn't seen her since Who's The Boss and recognize her.  Something that wasn't necessarily true of most of the looks she's had over the past few years on this show.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I thought Kini's look was horrible, and was shocked at the praise it got. The girl looked like she was in some kind of Halloween costume, and as usual it totally confused me about when the judges decided to praise that vs. pan it.

Then again Kini is some kind of sacred cow on this show. I think he's been acting like a surly annoying child personally, but apparently he's the hero of the piece for most people. But as much of a brat as Sam was early on, Kini's inability to act like an adult and just move on show's his real self I think.

Not that Sam is any kind of hero (or had any kind of decent look this episode either--I mean his was just plain bad).

Not to mention the denim. Dear god, the DENIM.

I think that Valerie's jumpsuit-for which she was sent home-was much nicer than Asha's-which got her the win. They were quite similar to each other (except for the peplum and tail). It just struck me that this cast was stuffed with designers who never won a challenge during their original seasons (and yet they are called all stars....). Anyway, my thought was that this would work towards ensuring a victory for whomever they had decided upon prior to the season. It would make the most sense that they want Dom to win again (she's the only winner in this group). I believe that 4 designers stated that they had never won a challenge before the one they won in all stars. Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

• Love 2

What. The fuck. Was that. Aaha's outfit was - from top to bottom - one of the ugliest, most unflattering things I've ever seen on this show. And then paired with those awful flats? I feel like the show is now set in a parallel universe where hideous is the new chic. So confused.

• Love 5

I feel like the show is now set in a parallel universe where hideous is the new chic. So confused.

That would explain Kini's piece of shit getting praised too.

I didn't like Kini's either. How many more outfits is he going to send down the runway with giant ruffles pinned on somewhere? 

Ah Kini. The almost universally acknowledged winner of the theoretical Project Runway spinoff, Project Seamstress.  He knows he sews well and seems to think that translates over to him having good taste/design sense (and it doesn't).

• Love 2

It was a little surprising to hear Sam baldly admit that Kini did the top to his winning outfit, but even more so when he added that he himself had created the part the judges really liked.  My recollection is that they remarked specifically about the top being what tipped the balance in his favor.

This is exactly what happened - I just went back and rewatched (just the judging, because I'm not insane) of that episode and they did indeed love Kini's bow and dislike (or at least less like) the rest.  Sam's terrible.

• Love 2

I didn't like Kini's either. How many more outfits is he going to send down the runway with giant ruffles pinned on somewhere? I'm also getting sick of his continued sulking over Sam taking credit for his frigging blouse. For gawd's sake, get over it already! He's coming across as so petty and childish.

I would be willing to bet in normal circumstances anyone would 'get over it' but we have to remember that even though we saw the episode weeks ago to the designers it actually happened just days yearlier.  Plus I am sure that the producers are doing everything possible to keep the fires of discontent stoked.

• Love 4

I would be willing to bet in normal circumstances anyone would 'get over it' but we have to remember that even though we saw the episode weeks ago to the designers it actually happened just days yearlier.  Plus I am sure that the producers are doing everything possible to keep the fires of discontent stoked.

And we had the rather delightful moments of Ken shit-stirring.

• Love 3

What is the joke about Rapunzel should be wearing orange?

TattleTeeny said this about incaceration:

YES! She should have gone nuts with the real Rapunzel story--slut-shaming, cannibalism threats (I think?), unlawful incarceration....all of it!

So I said maybe she should have been in orange (especially since she was already wearing a jumpsuit):

Maybe Rapunzel should have been in orange.

• Love 1

This is exactly what happened - I just went back and rewatched (just the judging, because I'm not insane) of that episode and they did indeed love Kini's bow and dislike (or at least less like) the rest.  Sam's terrible.

They're both terrible. It's not an either/or. Sam actually probably even remembers it that way, but even if he doesn't, so what? Kini is acting like a little sour bitch over something he can't change via his attitude, which makes him look bad with a good part of the viewing audience, and he's really just feeding fuel to anything Sam is doing by acknowledging this so constantly. Kini knows they record this and the truth of who did what would likely come out anyway, so he also seems like a dimwit on top of being whiny and petty.

If Sam is a stupid little boy, you counter him by acting like an adult and just ignoring him. By sinking to Sam's level Kini has banished any respect I had for him (not that I've ever had an overwhelming amount... I mean Kini's always been hyped at this great sewer, but that doesn't mean his taste has ever equaled that). 

• Love 2
(edited)

Sam's outfit was so reminiscent of Project Runway Junior I'd swear it was actually on there.

I don't think any outfit made on Junior was as bad as Sam's piece. 

I am so glad there are others who think Kini looks absolutely horrible in this feud. Kini's personalty is so rank to me and on top of that everything he makes is straight-up hideous imo. I hated Sam's guts in Under the Gunn but at this point I hope he outlasts Kini. It would crack me up.

I'm glad Andrew went just because I really couldn't bear to look at his face anymore. I know that is horribly shallow, but his skin and eyebrows gave me the heebie jeebies.

I really hope Dom wins. She's the only one left who seems like an OK person imo.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1

I am so glad there are others who think Kini looks absolutely horrible in this feud. Kini's personalty is so rank to me and on top of that everything he makes is straight-up hideous imo. I hated Sam's guts in Under the Gunn but at this point I hope he outlasts Kini. It would crack me up.

I'm glad Andrew went just because I really couldn't bear to look at his face anymore. I know that is horribly shallow, but his skin and eyebrows gave me the heebie jeebies.

I really hope Dom wins. She's the only one left who seems like an OK person imo.

A great post. I kept hoping at least a single other poster here wasn't falling into this "take a side" thing with Sam and Kini. As far as I'm concerned, they're both useless.

I agree though that as shit as Sam is, it would be FUNNY to see Kini humiliated at this point. Then Sam can go the next week after that.

• Love 1

It's not the point of the show, I agree. But I gave up hope years ago of this being an honest talent-based contest. Just look even here at the tidal wave of comments that focus on how horrible Sam is. Sure he is. Honestly on some level who cares? But people do. So me saying comparable about Kini is no worse.

(edited)

Kini handles frustration ungracefully. Sam handles undeserved good fortune ungracefully, and is doing his level best to ride nastiness into celebrity, and the producers have chosen to use him as the POV contestant because of it. I see a difference, although I suppose if I was watching this as a gladiator match I might feel differently.

I've already had to give up on one decaying competition franchise this season because they decided to chase the Jerry Springer audience. I'd hate to lose this one.

Edited by Julia

I agree though that as shit as Sam is, it would be FUNNY to see Kini humiliated at this point. Then Sam can go the next week after that.

Perfect imo.

I've already had to give up on one decaying competition franchise this season because they decided to chase the Jerry Springer audience. I'd hate to lose this one.

I think this show was lost to that like at least 5 seasons ago.

• Love 1

And we had the rather delightful moments of Ken shit-stirring.

IIRC, the first time Ken got mad, it was at Sandro, it was in order to protect Helen of Cry...even though she was being (as usual) an insufferable, whining bitch.

I'm wondering if Ken's next breakdown will be him going off on Sam to "stand up" for another designer?  

and this is why Kini should have never engaged with Sam at all.  Yes, talk some shit in the TH, but the minute Kini sank to Sam's level, he lost.  Just consider it lesson learned, don't help him, quietly warn others not to help him and let him sink on his own.  Sam is always going to look like a little shit, but Kini came into the show with a good reputation and from where I sat...the high ground in the feud.  Now people are going to associate he and Sam as sort of two sides of the same coin....and that sucks for Kini, who has done good work (even if its not always super inventive).

• Love 3
(edited)

A great post. I kept hoping at least a single other poster here wasn't falling into this "take a side" thing with Sam and Kini. As far as I'm concerned, they're both useless.

I liked Kini coming into this season, and I hate seeing him turning his appearance on PRAS into a competition against Sam, rather than a fashion competition. For that reason, I hope Sam goes home first. No, Kini hasn't handled his frustration well. As a result, I don't know whether I'm liking him less or the show less, because all I think each time the "feud" heats up is "get OVER it." While Kini gave them the material to include in each episode, someone involved with the show made the decision to include it.

Based on what's been said to each other, and in THs, I'm going to guess this is going to be milked until they are both on the bottom. Since contestants (and "previouslies") have pointed out there have been a couple of non-elimination weeks, they'll be eliminated on the same challenge. There may, or may not, be runway fireworks that week.

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Love 2

I don't really blame Kini for being irked by Sam's superiority pose, but Kini needs to move on from that and from his love of denim.  I'm glad Sam was in the bottom for his lazy design, though I wish he had been made to sweat the results a little more. ........Those didn't look like flats to me (or what I call flats)....those were sandals and incompatible with Asha's design.  A simple flat with closed toes would have looked much better, in my mind

I've had to go back and look at the clothes from Season 13 because I remember really liking Kini's designs as well as being really impressed by his construction. That was a really strong season at the end.  I didn't love his finale collection as much, but I was a fan. Now this. It's like his obsession with Sam is making his designs bad. So perplexing. He needs to get over it and focus on his designs. 

In a very weird way, I get Asha's shoe choice and kind of liked it. If I just think about the jumpsuit and less so the peplum. It was a very boho sandal and looked sort of homemade like Rapunzel could've made it from pieces of silk (that the prince brought her) and since Rapunzel sings I see her as a folk singer type made to dress up. I am defending the shoe. Maybe too much. But honestly, at first I thought it was strange but then i found it cool.

I've watched every episode of the Project Runway, but canceled the TiVO Season Pass for Project Runway all-stars. The "all-stars", especially the males, are unlikeable, whiny and bitchy. The judges are disinterested and Isaac Mizrahi seems almost disgusted to be there.  There is no joy in this.  

• Love 2