Type keyword(s) to search

Batman Movies

Athena
  • Start Topic

Launching from some topics raised in the Unpopular Opinions thread, this is your thread to talk about ALL Batman movies.

This is different from the superhero movies threads as it encompasses various adaptations and universes based on the iconic superhero. There have been more actors playing mainstream Batman roles in the last twenty years than any other superhero so a thread is not unwarranted.

Please use this thread to discuss your favourite movies, actors, strengths, and weaknesses of any or all the movies. All spoilers allowed. The Lego Batman movie will count when it gets released.

• Love 5

Sweet!

The trailers to The Lego Batman Movie look incredible. I love how it mocks his usual doom and gloom angst.

Regarding past movies, let me say that as much as I loathed Katie Holmes in Batman Begins, it's a damn pity that we didn't see her, and not Maggie G, get blown up by the Joker.

• Love 3

Batman (1989) with Michael Keaton, Kim Basinger (YOWZA), and Jack Nicholson is honestly one of my favourite movies of all time.  It's perfect to me.  I think I rewatched Batman Returns (1992?) recently and I was really grossed out, but people posting comments in the Unpopular Opinions thread really makes me want to revisit it.

• Love 2
(edited)

Regarding past movies, let me say that as much as I loathed Katie Holmes in Batman Begins, it's a damn pity that we didn't see her, and not Maggie G, get blown up by the Joker.

PREACH!  And I've tried not to compare real life to this movie, but some things, I souldn't wrap my brain around and just accept at face value.

Like how, at 22, Rachel was already an assistant ADA or if not that, then working in the DA’s office, when she hadn’t even gone through law school yet.  Unless she was supposed to be this uber mensa genius? Which I refuse to believe.  And then she has the utter gall to get all high and mighty , self-righteous, sanctimonious and judgey, when Bruce shows her the gun he was going to use to kill Chill. And then slaps him not once, but twice.

Who the FUCK did she think she was? Thomas and Martha were NOT her parents.  She wasn’t the one who witnessed her parents’ brutal murders. So she can take a thousand gazillion million seats, thankyouverymuch.

And though Maggie is a better actress, her take on Rachel was so different, like a totally different character, like I mentioned in the Unpopular Opinion thread. But I didn’t like her, either. Acting as if Bruce was some heinous criminal who she didn’t profess to love just months earlier. Like he was shit she had just scraped off the bottom of her shoe.  So I shed no tears when she died.

My computer is giving me fits, so I’ll have more tomorrow.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3

Don't forget how Rachel basically just dropped him in front of a mobsters lair and then somehow felt entitled to get pissy when Bruce came back back years later and didn't even call her. What a [REDACTED]!

Say what you want about Selina, but at least she wasn't a whiny self righteous hypocrite. And while people can't accept that they ran off to Italy together after she helped steal all his money and let Bane break his back, Bruce didn't seem to mind. Let's not forget that Batman was attracted to Catwoman despite (or maybe because of) her dark side. I think it's believable that they'd wind up as fuck-buddies, if nothing else.

• Love 4

Excellent thread!  I love most things Batman so this is for me.

Since they don't explicitly say what her position was, I tell myself that Rachel was an intern at the DA's office during those scenes.  Makes more sense than believing that she was 22, already out of law school, and already working on a high profile case like Joe Chill without any exposition about how smart and driven she was.

• Love 1

Batman (1989) with Michael Keaton, Kim Basinger (YOWZA), and Jack Nicholson is honestly one of my favourite movies of all time.  It's perfect to me.  I think I rewatched Batman Returns (1992?) recently and I was really grossed out, but people posting comments in the Unpopular Opinions thread really makes me want to revisit it.

It has so much going for it you can talk about it's greatness without even mentioning the best part -- the Prince soundtrack!!  It's so next level.

• Love 5

Well that reminds me.  Two of my favourite songs of all time are U2's "Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me" and Seal's "Kiss From a Rose".  Two amazing, amazing, amazing mid-90s songs.  Which you can find on the Batman Forever (with Val Kilmer) soundtrack!

• Love 2
(edited)

Let me backtrack a wee bit.  For as long as I can remember, as a kid, I think I only liked the Adam West Batman show for the kewl opening credits, and the BAM! POW! OOF! and seeing the main rogues I knew from the Saturday morning cartoons that gave me Super Friends. But I didn't really like the show because it was so silly.  Then came 1989 and I heard about this movie. A friend and I tried to sneak in to see it because it was sold out.  But they had ushers guarding the doors, and checking to make sure we had the tickets to the movie. So grumbling, I think we went to see Ghostbusters II, I think.  So we came back the next night to watch it.

It blew me away. Michael Keaton fucking blew me away. THIS was BATMAN.  That one scene, where he's wearing the black turtleneck, and spectacles while he's at the Bat Computer? SEXAAAAAYYYY.  I didn't like that they made Joker the killer of his parents. I didn't like that scene where he accused Joker of killing his parents. But whatevs, because the rest of the movie was GREAT.  I even laughed at the point where Bruce is practicing telling Vicky that he's Batman.

Batman Returns I also loved except for the Penguin.  That is, to make him all slobbery and messy toward the end. And please, DO.NOT.GET.ME.STARTED on how those alley cats brought Selina back to life after she was pitched out that high rise window to her death.  

Don't know if I'm the only one who liked this, but I did enjoy how Michelle said "MEOW" when she donned on that suit. Or how each of them tried not to moan in pain, when they were making out--because they had each injured the other in the fight they had.  In hindsight, I'm glad she never came back in the last two Schumacher Debacles. Though I will always believe she didn't die. I mean, didn't we see her in shadow?

Then, then, my small screen gave me Batman: The Animated Series and Bruce Timm, Eric Radomski, Alan Burnett, Paul Dini, KevinFucking!Conroy set the bar so high and he became THE DEFINITIVE BATMAN for me, that he ruined me for anyone else playing him. And I cringe now when I watch my 70s Superfriends because I now had The Justice League.  Anyhoo, you had such great voice talent. But then, THEN, THEN, Christopher Nolan comes along and gives me ChristianFucking!Bale. Those cheekbones, that body, that voice, the pathos, and humor. And like I said, a great all-star supporting cast, with the only bug in the ointment being that horrid Katie Holmes, and it's right up there with the DCAU universe.  Bale's Batman voice wasn't too bad in Begins.  I don't know why or what Nolan was thinking when he did whatever it was he did in The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. Or that horrid, horrid mask for Bane, that it was damn near fucking impossible to hear what he was saying and he sounded like Sean Connery!  They should have just dubbed Conroy's voice for when Bale was Bats. That is all.

So, when Begins came out, I thought, and kept thinking, someone finally got it RIGHT. And Nolan read and studied the source material. This movie is based on The Long Halloween and he did such a good job with the first and the second one just bloody fantastic.  I was never in the group of people who didn't think Heath Ledger wasn't up to the task of playing Joker. He was great.  I was upset that they killed off Two-Face, though. I think he could have come back in the last one.

I need to mull over some more and then I'll post my favorite lines!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5

I loved the part in Batman Returns when Bruce and Selina figure out each other's alter ego at the masked ball, and Selina's all "Oh my God, should we start fighting now?" LMAO!

Keaton and Pfieiffer sizzled together on screen. And yes, she wasn't dead at the end. We saw her do the head-roll thing in front of the Bat Signal.

• Love 7
(edited)

For as long as I can remember, as a kid, I think I only liked the Adam West Batman show for the kewl opening credits, and the BAM! POW! OOF! and seeing the main rogues I knew from the Saturday morning cartoons that gave me Super Friends. But I didn't really like the show because it was so silly.  Then came 1989 and I heard about this movie.

I remember watching the Batman show as a kid when there was nothing else on.  It was a fun enough way to pass time (and I had a crush on Yvonne Craig) but due to the sillyness, I never took it seriously.  I do think it had an outsized influence on all superhero shows and movies for some time after it: the idea that superheroes could not be done straight, they had to be campy.  Richard Donner tried to get away from it with Superman, but Tim Burton's Batman really was the one that really dropped it (granted we've gotten even darker and edgier over time).  I still think Burton had the perfect vision for that movie and Michael Keaton is probably my favorite Batman.

And please, DO.NOT.GET.ME.STARTED on how those alley cats brought Selina back to life after she was pitched out that high rise window to her death.

Whenever I watch that scene, I think to myself (or voice out loud to everyone nearby) how much tuna juice did they have to cover Michelle Pfeiffer with to get those cats to crowd her like that.

Edited by Lugal
  • Love 2

It has so much going for it you can talk about it's greatness without even mentioning the best part -- the Prince soundtrack!!  It's so next level.

My appreciation for the soundtrack was killed when a friend put it on loop in the background at a party and I realized several hours later why "Batdance" was echoing continuously in my head.

I never liked Keaton as Batman; he's a great actor, but I thought he was horribly miscast. I didn't really like any of the Batmen until Christian Bale, although Clooney did strike me as an excellent world-weary Bruce Wayne.

• Love 3
(edited)

Found Batman: Under the Red Hood...on demand. I watched it years ago, but watching it again, I think it might be my favorite Batman film. Okay probably not over The Dark Knight but it ranks pretty highly. 

I'm a Supernatural fan and love Jensen Ackles and figured he would do a good job but I sure didn't expect to it to be as good as it was.

That final confrontation between Jason and Batman was heart breaking. I cried...in a Batman movie. I don't think I've done that since Dark Knight Rises and that was just because it was the end of the trilogy as much as anything.

But this one.  Whew, really did get to me. And that last scene with Robin (Jason Todd) donning his cape for the first time saying it's the best day of his life.....well just slap me in my face with all the sadness.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

The only thing that would have made Under the Red Hood PERFECT was if they had gotten Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy. To make such an iconic story, and NOT try and get those two? Conroy has always been open and available. It's the fucking suits/brass that insisted on using different actors. 

Me: BAH!

And no lie, I feel vindicated and am chortling and cackling with glee that the most recent movie is taking a pounding in ratings and will not be the success that the Nolan movies were.

• Love 3

In a purely financial sense, it's already more successful than one of the Nolan movies eleven days into its run, and might very well gross a billion dollars to rival the other two before it leaves theaters.

In a purely financial sense, it's already more successful than one of the Nolan movies eleven days into its run, and might very well gross a billion dollars to rival the other two before it leaves theaters.

LALALALALALALALALALALALALAAAAALALALALALALAAAAAAA! I can't hear youuuuuu!!!!!!

Ahem.  So. It turns out Batman, starring Keaton, is available on Netflix and I started to watch it last night.  I can't believe how much I'd forgotten. That Burton's Commissioner Gordon had a living wife; but no kids.  That the dirty cop, who acted and sort of looked like Bullock, wasn't Bullock. Or maybe Bullock didn't exist in the comics and Timm just used Ekhardt as a model for Bullock and just left out the part where he was dirty. Meaning, that Bullock wasn't dirty.

I'm just squeeing over the music/score by Danny Elfman, who used the same music for Batman: The Animated Series. It's just AWESOME.

• Love 3
(edited)

I love the scene in Batman where Vicky and Bruce are having their first dinner date in that big gothic formal dining room, sitting at the opposite sides of that looooooong table, and Bruce finally lets it slip that he never actually uses that dining room: he just eats in the kitchen with Alfred.  So the two of them pick up their plates and go eat with Alfred, and that just breaks the awkwardness.

That was a defining moment for the way Michael Keaton played the character.  For all his eccentricities and quirks, Bruce Wayne really was a nice guy and not some stuck-up playboy.  

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 8

That was a defining moment for the way Michael Keaton played the character.  For all his eccentricities and quirks, Bruce Wayne really was a nice guy and not some stuck-up playboy.  

I never got the sense that Bruce Wayne was a stuck-up Playboy. Sure, in the comics, he was a slut; a manwhore, but never stuck up.  And I think, that Timm and company, did a great job to show that Bruce Wayne, though a playboy, was someone who cared about environmental issues and didn't treat, say, his golf caddy(?) like some lower form of a slave/servant ("The Terrible Trio."  The only time we saw any bitter women was in The Mask of the Phantasm and it was Ronnie! Okay, if not Ronnie, then Merrilu Henner just voiced her. Acting as if Bruce made any promises. Whatever.

Never watched the Schumacher debacles in full, so I can't say if Kilmer or Clooney's Wayne did act as if high in the instep, if you will.  And Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne, well, other than swimming in the hotel fountain, we didn't really get to see what he did or thought as Bruce Wayne. But I never got the sense he thought he was better than anyone else.  And the way he kicked everybody out in Begins was because R'as was there.  So he was acting like an asshole to protect them. I can't fault him for that.

• Love 1

I never got the sense that Bruce Wayne was a stuck-up Playboy. Sure, in the comics, he was a slut; a manwhore, but never stuck up.  And I think, that Timm and company, did a great job to show that Bruce Wayne, though a playboy, was someone who cared about environmental issues and didn't treat, say, his golf caddy(?) like some lower form of a slave/servant ("The Terrible Trio."  The only time we saw any bitter women was in The Mask of the Phantasm and it was Ronnie! Okay, if not Ronnie, then Merrilu Henner just voiced her. Acting as if Bruce made any promises. Whatever.

Never watched the Schumacher debacles in full, so I can't say if Kilmer or Clooney's Wayne did act as if high in the instep, if you will.  And Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne, well, other than swimming in the hotel fountain, we didn't really get to see what he did or thought as Bruce Wayne. But I never got the sense he thought he was better than anyone else.  And the way he kicked everybody out in Begins was because R'as was there.  So he was acting like an asshole to protect them. I can't fault him for that.

Oh don't get me wrong, I never thought that Bruce was a stuck-up playboy. I just like how Michael Keaton established that, especially Vicky and her friend were ready to write him off as another rich weirdo before they even met him.

• Love 3

Ok, very shallow, but isn't Batman the only superhero with a real sense of style? Forget kindergarten block colors, this guy knows his black, his charcoal grey and any possible color in between. And he always looks good, whether as a "civilian" or in costume. And he does have some interesting ladies in his life (my fav being Catwoman/Selina), and therefore (way to go, Bruce!) he's not stuck with damsels in distress :)

• Love 5

And Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne, well, other than swimming in the hotel fountain, we didn't really get to see what he did or thought as Bruce Wayne.

"I'm not learning polo, Alfred."

One of my favourite lines in the series.  Bale doesn't get enough credit for his comic timing.

• Love 8
(edited)

"I'm not learning polo, Alfred."

One of my favourite lines in the series.  Bale doesn't get enough credit for his comic timing.

He really doesn't.  Just like in The Dark Knight, after he fights the Scarecrow, Chechan, and two? Batman wannabes, and gets bitten by Chechen's rottweiler:

ALFRED: "Did you get mauled by a tiger?"

BRUCE: (quietly): "It was a dog."

ALFRED: "Eh?"

BRUCE: "It was a BIG dog."

And even though this isn't from any of the movies, but from the DCAU, ("The Underdwellers") it's still funny and made me think of it when I saw Begins:

ALFRED: "I do believe a break from Wayne Enterprises and crimefighting would do wonders. Perhaps a vacation. A little golf?"

BRUCE: "Sounds boring." (As Bruce is finishing up his workout.)

ALFRED: "In the Bahamas?"

BRUCE: "Hot. And boring."

Conroy and Zimbalist, Jr. were just great together. Hell, Conroy and everyfuckingbody in this series were just magic.

And here's the scene where that sleazeball Reese tries to blackmail Lucius and Bruce:

LUCIUS: "Let me get this straight, you think that your client, one of the wealthiest and most powerful men in the world, is secretly a vigilante, who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands, and your plan is to blackmail this person?"

Reese's smarmy and smug smile falls and Fox smiles at him with pity.

LUCIUS: "Good luck." And continues to study the report in front of him.

ME: OH SNAP!!!!!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 7

The DCAU movies count and there are many of them.

Kevin Conroy is my Batman, always and forever. While some of the live action ones are decent and not that bad really, they are all a distant second to the DCAU Conroy one.

• Love 3

My favourite Bruce Wayne is David Mazouz on Gotham right now. My favourite Batman is Lego Batman, no question. My husband can make me laugh at will by screaming at random intervals "DARKNESS!! NO PARENTS!!!"

• Love 1

Ok, very shallow, but isn't Batman the only superhero with a real sense of style? Forget kindergarten block colors, this guy knows his black, his charcoal grey and any possible color in between. And he always looks good, whether as a "civilian" or in costume. And he does have some interesting ladies in his life (my fav being Catwoman/Selina), and therefore (way to go, Bruce!) he's not stuck with damsels in distress :)

I was going to offer Black Panther and Professor X as counterpoints, but the former is always in costume and the latter doesn't have one.

And here's the scene where that sleazeball Reese tries to blackmail Lucius and Bruce:

LUCIUS: "Let me get this straight, you think that your client, one of the wealthiest and most powerful men in the world, is secretly a vigilante, who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands, and your plan is to blackmail this person?"

That was my favorite moment out of any of the Batman movies.

• Love 4
(edited)

Agree on that trailer! I am SO PSYCHED for this! Almost up there with my excitement for The Killing Joke! The latter which I'll be seeing in...10 HOURS!!!!

I think I'll go watch Lego Batman Be-Leagured!

HA! Never noticed the double meaning behind that!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
On 3/31/2016 at 8:53 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Hmm, as someone who waited in line opening night wearing a Batman t-shirt and Batman Converse high-tops, hoping for satisfaction after years of anticipation, I can honestly say that in all my life no movie has caused me greater disappointment or left a worse aftertaste.   I will hate Jack Nicholson till the day I die for his take on the Joker, and will never again see any movie that Tim Burton is even remotely associated with.

I'm a day late with this, but yesterday, July 30, was the 50th anniversary of the 1966 Batman movie hitting theaters, giving the world the live-action Batcopter, Batboat, and of course....

8 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I'm a day late with this, but yesterday, July 30, was the 50th anniversary of the 1966 Batman movie hitting theaters, giving the world the live-action Batcopter, Batboat, and of course....

I watched this just the other night on Netflix.   The print has been remastered so it looks really sharp.   It still stands the test of time.   My only quibble is one I have lamented for years: no Julie Newmar.   

IMO, Cesar Romero was the best Joker ever.   No one will ever match his maniac "Eee-hee-hee, oh-ho-ho," laugh, not even Mark Hamill    I can only imagine what Romero could have accomplished had they written that Joker with a homicidal streak.  

• Love 1

I rewatched The Dark Knight and The Killing Joke over the weekend to compensate for the disappointing Joker in Suicide Squad. And in KJ when Joker muses that he likes for his past to be multiple choice, I immediately thought of how Dark Knight Joker tells different stories about how he got his scarres. Nice little parallel there, Christopher Nolan.

Man, Heath was so great. I still remember when I first heard he was going to play the Joker, and I thought it was a huge mistake. How very wrong I was. Just the interrogation scene was proof that he knew what he was doing. Batman beating the crap out of him, screaming "WHERE ARE THEY?!" over and over, and he just lets out that chilling Joker cackle...perfection.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3

So, there's yet another Batman animated movie coming out... The Return of the Caped Crusaders, with the voices of Adam West, Burt Ward, and Julie Newmar!  And, like Killing Joke, this one will have a one-night-only showing in theaters, on the evening of October 10 (Columbus Day in the US).  Tickets are here.

Here's the trailer...

• Love 1

So, I'm watching, or rather, rewatching the Nolan Batman trilogy, and I'm not sure whose idea it was to have Bale use that horrid, horrid, scratchy/radioisque/Clint Eastwoody voice for Batman, but him using his own voice, in a lower voice range in Batman Begins was fine. Of course, ideally, Nolan should have just dubbed in Kevin Conroy's Batman voice! After all, Justice League Unlimited had just finished and he would have been available to do it!

And now I'm laughing my ass off while watching the making of this movie, because Nolan had seen Bale in The Machinist, where Bale was this bag of bones and told him to "get as big as you can" and Bale did so, getting BIG, up to 220 pounds! Bale said he took Nolan at his word! And the crew, who had worked with Bale before, mocked him, saying "Bloody, hell, Chris, what are we doing here, Fatman or Batman?" And that's a direct quote! I love Christian Bale. I just wish he had been speaking in his native Welsh accent! 

• Love 1

And now I've finished watching my DCAU Batman movies. In hindsight, I should have watched Gotham Knight and then ended with Under the Red Hood. Anyhoo. I think I was still peeved and bitter that they didn't get Kevin Conroy and/or Mark Hamill to play Bats and Joker in this iconic story, the first couple of times I watched it, so I missed some of the emotional beats that sucker/gut punched me in this most recent rewatch.

But let me get my dislikes out of the way first. Well, there's only really one. John DiMaggio as Joker. He's just so miscast and the way he played Joker, it was straight up murdering psycho without any of the layers, if that makes any sense.

Oh, there is another dislike. Nightwing's hair. yes, hair.  It's supposed to be thick, and layered, with locks sometimes falling in his face. Like this:

nightwing.jpg

Instead we get one who looks like he's balding or has thinning hair!

Ahem.

I had forgotten how much I loved the animation in this movie. Very smooth and though it doesn't have the "oil painting" look that I love about Phantasm and Subzero, I really love how everyone is drawn.

The gut puncher. When near the end, Jason takes off his red hood, takes Bats to the shack where he's got Joker, and asks (and Jensen did a really good job here) why, out of all the villains, didn't he just kill Joker? Because he was the one that had "taken" Jason away from Bats. The emotion, pain, anger in Jason's voice just killed me. 

And listening to Bruce Greenwood tell him why he didn't/couldn't, even as I'm engrossed, I'm still saying to myself, 'Kevin should be doing this. He would make this movie and especially this scene, so much more gut wrenching. Kevin Fucking! Conroy should be voicing Bats, dammit.'

And the ending scene just made me sad.

And yes, I Googled to figure out how old Jason was when he became Robin, how old he was when he "died," so he was only 20 when he reappeared as Red Hood.

For some reason, I thought that it had been a landslide vote that the fanboyzzzz chose to have DC kill off Jason. But it was very close. According to Dennis O'Neal, the difference was by 65 votes.  And there were conspiracy theories about how it was rigged, and only one person called in to make sure they'd kill Jason. Which I found interesting because I remember around that time, hearing that nobody liked Jason.

Really good movie; the only thing that would have made it perfect would have been if the assholes would have let Romano cast Kevin and Mark for the pivotal characters.

• Love 1
On 12/25/2016 at 9:37 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And now I'm laughing my ass off while watching the making of this movie, because Nolan had seen Bale in The Machinist, where Bale was this bag of bones and told him to "get as big as you can" and Bale did so, getting BIG, up to 220 pounds! Bale said he took Nolan at his word! And the crew, who had worked with Bale before, mocked him, saying "Bloody, hell, Chris, what are we doing here, Fatman or Batman?" And that's a direct quote! I love Christian Bale. I just wish he had been speaking in his native Welsh accent! 

I remember this, and it cracked me up.  

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The gut puncher. When near the end, Jason takes off his red hood, takes Bats to the shack where he's got Joker, and asks (and Jensen did a really good job here) why, out of all the villains, didn't he just kill Joker? Because he was the one that had "taken" Jason away from Bats. The emotion, pain, anger in Jason's voice just killed me. 

Yes, Jensen nailed that scene.  Believe it or not, this animated film convinced me he had some talent.  I've not seen enough of Supernatural to form an opinion, and previously only knew him from Days of Our Lives. Shame that he's not done more voice work in the animated universe. 

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And listening to Bruce Greenwood tell him why he didn't/couldn't, even as I'm engrossed, I'm still saying to myself, 'Kevin should be doing this. He would make this movie and especially this scene, so much more gut wrenching. Kevin Fucking! Conroy should be voicing Bats, dammit.'

I'm rather laid-back about Bats' voice actors, though Conroy will always be the standard.  But yeah, I totally agree with you on this.  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

've not seen enough of Supernatural to form an opinion, and previously only knew him from Days of Our Lives.

I am totally biased but I think Jensen in all seriousness, is one of the BEST actors in TV or film. He's so talented. He can communicate so much with no words or just his voice inflection.  But I'm biased LOL

On 12/25/2016 at 9:37 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And the crew, who had worked with Bale before, mocked him, saying "Bloody, hell, Chris, what are we doing here, Fatman or Batman?"

2 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I remember this, and it cracked me up.  

I just realized I should have typed it as "Bloody 'ell, Chris..." just the impersonation and telling of that story is just so funny!

On 12/28/2016 at 6:53 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

For some reason, I thought that it had been a landslide vote that the fanboyzzzz chose to have DC kill off Jason. But it was very close. According to Dennis O'Neal, the difference was by 65 votes.  And there were conspiracy theories about how it was rigged, and only one person called in to make sure they'd kill Jason. Which I found interesting because I remember around that time, hearing that nobody liked Jason.

I was around at the time, and I believe I voted to kill him (although I didn't vote thousands of times).  He was indeed resoundingly disliked as I recall (although in those days you pretty much had the letters columns, Amazing Heroes and CBG to go by unless you were on Usenet); particularly post-Crisis, when his introduction to us involved him stealing the tires off the Batmobile, he was a miserable little pill with a bad attitude.  I've avoided anything and everything to do with "Under the Red Hood" because I have no interest in the little puke being anything but dead.

As a side note on Kevin Conroy, I've enjoyed his work, but I was nearly 30 when BTAS first started airing, so his Batman voice is in no way formative for me and I have no problem with other actors performing the role. Same for Hamill, as wonderful as his Joker is.

Okay, so I pulled out my Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, both parts, and I barely remember reading the graphic novel--only recall how Supes was a tool for the the government and that the animation made everyone looked so fucking, fucking FUGLY.  So I don't know if the depictions of Lana Lang and Selina Kyle (or maybe that's not really her and someone dressing up as her that Bats kisses in the second part, which I haven't come across yet), but...EWWWW!! and GROSS! (yes, I'm 10) at how fat they're made to look, while Supes/Clark, Bruce/Bats, though older, still look massive and...good, for the lack of a better word.

I guess I'm biased against Frank Miller because I've read and seen his interviews, where he comes off as a total asshole and douche bag, so I'm one who is not part of his group of fans who wax poetic over how awesome he is.

And on a purely shallow note, I melted into a puddle of goo hearing Grant Morrison, because I didn't realize he was Scots, plus...the brogue!!! 'Tis all in the sexay brogue!!!! He could have been butt ugly, but that voice!

Ahem

Heading off to the Superman Movies forum now...

Edited by GHScorpiosRule