Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: If I Could Do It All Again

For the new characters, I actually liked Cash before she went all Single White Female on a teenager. I think it was good for Maddie to have someone to talk to was to write music with and talk to who was not her parents or her 12 year old sister (that I adore lol).  

I always find it interesting to read the variety of viewpoints in these forums, such as the viewpoint that it's so cruddy of Maddie to have lost interest in hanging out with Daphne.  I understand Daphne's sadness about this, but I also don't think it's an unusual situation.  I think back to when I was Daphne's age.  I was an only child, but had close friends with brothers and sisters in high school, and those high schoolers wanted nothing to do with us.  Some of them could be pretty rude, lol.  Like locking us out of the house, walking into the TV room and just switching the channel and so on.  

• Love 5

Cash you are starting to be clingy with a 16 year old. It's weird. I can't imagine why this 20 something year old doesn't have friends her age.

It's strange that a 20 something wants to hang out with a 16 year old. I think we all are right on suspecting she is in love with Maddie because she really was using all the ways to get Colt out of the picture as soon as possible.

I doubt they're doing a predatory lesbian kind of storyline here, because that would be a) creepy considering the age difference and b) tired and offensive. It seems more likely to me that Cash thinks she can use Maddie somehow -- make money off her, ride her coattails to fame, whatever -- so she's trying to isolate Maddie from people who could influence her (especially people like Colt who think the music business is meaningless). Isn't there a spoiler that

Cash wants Maddie to get emancipated? That sounds like the first step in managing her or starting a career with her and therefore making some money off this impressionable young kid who wants to get away from performing with her little sister.

I think I'm the only one who likes Layla.

You're not! I've always rooted for the poor girl (even though she's too naive and I want to shake her half the time). Has anything good ever happened to her?

• Love 3

I know the show has too many characters, but I can't wait for Alicia Witt to show up. I say trade her for Frankie, The BeverLLLy (Deacon's pronunciation), Cash, Vita, Riff, and Colt.

I think I'm the only one who likes Layla.

I like Layla and, on the rare occasions that this show actually remembers to feature any music, I usually enjoy hers a lot.  I like Colt too though.  The rest of your list can't leave fast enough for me!

• Love 1

Maybe Cash (silly name and yeah, I know where it comes from) may be trying to manipulate Maddie so she can eventually somehow steal - or otherwise somehow - take her songs as her own or something.

If it is a crush - it is creepy as hell - well, both scenarios are, obviously.  

I couldn't watch the entire thing - too much stupid going on.

• Love 1
And, plus, also: She survived all manner of Army Doctor Crazypants foolishness that other time, where people would drive their motorcycles into the Emergency Room.

WTF.. that was.. a real promo pic for an actual tv show? 

It really is. Or it was -- I believe the show was renewed for third season at one point, but I can't remember when it last aired, or whether it's supposed to return in the summer of 2016. But it was an actual thing, honest!

• Love 1

It really is. Or it was -- I believe the show was renewed for third season at one point, but I can't remember when it last aired, or whether it's supposed to return in the summer of 2016. But it was an actual thing, honest!

It looked crazy! And I read the previously tv article, even they didn't know what it was. And after reading the article, they tried to sort of explain the shows premise. That promo picture just looked like a show trying to jump on the doctor show train but look this doctor is CRAZY and edgy and he's so cool, he rides a motorcycle although really that promo picture makes you think he rides it in the actual hospital and it's like uh, he probably doesn't but whatever. Anyway. It looked insane. I feel for Vita too that she dealt with that craziness but she's in Nashville now and I'm sorry but I've got no time for her woe tale of living in her car, Juliette is coming back next week and her story is the one I've always cared about. I think from the beginning. 

• Love 1

They really are writing Deacon really oblivious and in a bad way; also, considering that two scenes before Luke invited him on stage to say how great a job he was doing with the bar, Deacon had said to Frankie his speech about how they are partners and he shouldn't be doing things for the bar without consulting him, and then promptly didn't mention his name on stage. If this were another show or another character, I would think this was intentional backstabbing but I don't think that's the case here.

I think it's absurd, that Frankie, the character we've seen, would fall off the wagon, over jealousy of Deacon. I believe, he's supposed to have been sober, for somewhere around 20 years, he's been an AA sponsor.

Deacon came in, with the money, and the name, to really energize the bar, and surely, that's great for Frankie, who was about to lose the place, wouldn't you think?

If he's thinking Deacon gets carried away with excitement and doesn't include him, at times, how simple would it be to talk to him, and say, "Hey Deacon, I know being a business partner, is new to you, you've done a lot for the bar, but, sometimes, it feels like you're making decisions, we should make, together". Frankie's been a AA sponsor, so, surely he knows how to communicate.

As for not mentioning Frankie from the stage, I think Deacon was just caught up in the fun and excitement of having Riff perform. I'm sure there was nothing intentional about excluding Frankie.

• Love 6

That promo picture just looked like a show trying to jump on the doctor show train but look this doctor is CRAZY and edgy and he's so cool, he rides a motorcycle although really that promo picture makes you think he rides it in the actual hospital and it's like uh, he probably doesn't but whatever. Anyway. It looked insane.

We can understand how Vitamix Vegemite ended up all traumatized. Hee. (Poor Janeanne.)

• Love 1

And, plus, also: She survived all manner of Army Doctor Crazypants foolishness that other time, where people would drive their motorcycles into the Emergency Room.

How did I miss this? Hilarious. 

They way this is going, I can understand why the person who gave the go ahead on these storylines got the boot. 

Is Cash really supposed to come across as creepy or just someone trying to stop a friend from making a mistake? We as viewers know everything that's going on with Colt, but Cash only knows what Maddie told her: that she had sex with Colt and then he lost interest in Maddie. So Cash's point of view could be that Maddie is getting back together with a boyfriend who treated her badly and Cash just wants to stop Maddie from making that mistake.

Is Cash really supposed to come across as creepy or just someone trying to stop a friend from making a mistake? We as viewers know everything that's going on with Colt, but Cash only knows what Maddie told her: that she had sex with Colt and then he lost interest in Maddie. So Cash's point of view could be that Maddie is getting back together with a boyfriend who treated her badly and Cash just wants to stop Maddie from making that mistake.

She has to be creepy with bad intentions. This is Nashville, people! Also IMO they are trying portraying Colt (in their usual subtle, nuanced way) as a good guy watching Maddie get led astray, although it's not always completely clear.

If I'm wrong and they want someone to be protective, why not Scarlett? Or even Rayna? At least it would give them something more interesting to do.

Nothing about the relationships on Nashville is realistic any more. I've yet to watch last night's episode as I thought it would be less painful to read the comments first and then decide.

So I finally watched but it was mainly infuriating.

• Love 1

Maybe, but that's not really her place. All Maddie risks is a broken heart and that's it. Colt is not dangerous or anything. Why is Cash suddenly so concerned and invested in Maddie's love life? She came into Maddie's life quite recently and she's what, her guitar playing buddy? Her professor? I'm not sure. Anyways, you might think she means well because until now, she's been giving Maddie very sound advice about Deacon, but it was subtile, as expected from someone older who sees the situation from outside. Now the actress is making different acting choices. Cash seems a lot more overbearing and judgemental. She's clearly annoyed by Cash. It feels exaggerated and weird, like she has ulterior motives. Maybe she thinks she can make money off Maddie's talent, which could be a very realistic story.

But remember at the beginning when we all thought Luke was super suspicious? The actor was playing him that way and nothing came of it, so who knows with Cash?

• Love 1
As for not mentioning Frankie from the stage, I think Deacon was just caught up in the fun and excitement of having Riff perform. I'm sure there was nothing intentional about excluding Frankie.

And in Deacon's defense, before the show started when the reporters asked him to jump on the stage for a quick picture, the first thing Deacon asked was, "Where's Frankie?" because he wanted him in the picture too. One of the employees said that Frankie was busy doing something which is why Deacon got on the stage by himself for the photo.

I think Cash seeming creepy this week might be as simple as Cash being one of those people who doesn't like to share. A friend of mine collaborated with someone and she said that after a certain point it became clear that the other person was very possessive of her time. Creatively, they worked well together but she said that the other person wanted way too much of her time and energy. Both parties involved are heterosexual women so it wasn't that the other woman was acting this way because she was secretly in love with her or anything (ahem, Gunnar). She was just really intense about their artistic collaboration.

Count me in the group who thinks "Cash" is acting creepy.  She is a little too invested in a 16 year old girl when she has to be like ten years older.

Poor Colt.  Since he has not shared the truth about what he saw to Maddie, I get that Maddie is confused, but she was being kind a witch to him.  But that is how she has treated everyone lately.

So the major cliffhangers of this episode involve Frankie starting to drink again, and Vita's car being broken into/Vita being missing (right? I think that's what happened at the end, I was mentally tuning out by that point).  Two characters we have zero reason to care about. Frankie's been around a little longer than Vita, but to me he's still a peripheral character at best. And we literally just met Vita last episode, so how would we have reason to care yet about what happens to her?  As everyone on this forum has been saying, the writers seem to have no concept of the fact that they need to make viewers care about a character, and the way to do this is not introduce someone new every couple episodes and immediately make them the center of all the major storylines.  Wasn't it just earlier this season that we had major plotlines around Markus and Sadie, neither of whom are still around? So what was the point of them?

The characters they should be focusing on are Deacon, Rayna, Maddie, Daphne, Gunnar, Scarlett, Will, Avery, Juliette.  I'll even throw Layla and Luke in there because at least they've been on the show for a long time now. It's not that I necessarily like either of them, but at least they seem like characters in their own right at this point, and not just plot devices for other characters.

• Love 3
(edited)

Aw, man! Now I want Krysten Ritter to guest star on this show (in spite of the well-founded observation that there are far too many new characters on this show already) as Chloe the Backup Singer from Recording Studio 23, just so she can deliver an epic eyeroll or two, especially at Frankie's antics -- or better yet, a Smackwich. (His face is the lunchmeat, her hands are the bread: Smackwich!)

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

I agree. I don't know if it's becoming more apparent as of late because with netflix and other streaming services that give you full seasons right away but when networks give their shows breaks now, it seems to kill momentum, at least for me. 

I think the break definitely hurt, but the whole reason networks started doing mid-winter breaks was because they thought having shows be on for two weeks, off for one week, etc, was hurting ratings. And it probably was. With 22 episodes meant to air over the course of the 7-8 month TV season, there are going to be lots of breaks. I think they need to start making more drastic changes and having some shows on Jan-May, then some June-Sept, etc, and do away with any breaks within a season. 

I think she was clearly acting like a TV creepy person, it's a pretty classic troupe. I think it would have been okay if Cash had just given Maddie advice about Colt, but she was clearly upset at getting him a ticket to the concert and Maddie asking to reschedule the next day. She also seemed to deliberately interrupt them kissing good night. So her advice after all those things seemed creepy to me.

I was actually expecting her to start singing the song Maddie wrote last week, knowing Colt would know it's about him.

Oh, good.  I am so glad I wasn't the only one that thought Cash went straight into creepy territory here.  There is just something off about the way she's "mentoring" Maddie, and her overprotectiveness is kind making me give her the side-eye.  Even I was to look past most of it her being concerned over his anti-music status (was a bit similar to Scarlett's doctor ex) and not supporting Maddie on that front, she automatically seemed pretty snippy with him before that (when he was apologizing at the school), and I don't know.  She's acting less like a concern friend, and more like a jealous, well, lover, who hates Maddie wants to spend time with Colt instead of her.  Now, I really doubt they are going in that direction due to the age difference, but I have to think something is up with Cash.  This isn't just being a supportive friend.

Speaking of weird friendships, Deacon and Frankie kind of went hostile in a flash.  I feel like I'm getting whiplash over here.  The stuff with Vita was just a warm-up, and instead, Frankie is actually jealous that Deacon is getting all the attention and press for The Beverly.  Jealous enough that it made him fall off the wagon?  Whatever, show.  

Avery has to be blind as a bat if he doesn't see that Layla is eyeing him like a piece of meat.  Her obvious joy over his second date not working out should have been a clear signal for him to back away slowly, because Layla's got her sights on him, and she won't take no for an answer.  I did love Glenn being all "Seriously, Layla.  I'm going here to babysit another Juliette."

Meanwhile, Will's actually focusing on music, by debating over to join a label that is for gay artists, but now sees to get the idea of just producing his own album thanks to technology.  Isn't technology the best?!

Gunnar and Scarlett managed to be the best thing about this episode, which I noticed is happening a lot more often.  Probably because while I want to smack them on the heads at time, they're at least kind of fun now.  Of course, with this show, it could easily flip back to depressing and dark at any moment.

Not sure why I should care about Will and Riff, and Riff's potential wandering eye.

At least Daphne got a hug from Ranya.  She really needs to just find another friend, because Maddie truly seems done with her.  I just hope Rayna is right that Maddie would be there for her when the time calls for it.  Because at times, I truly wonder if Daphne got hit by a car, Maddie's response would be "God!  Why did she have to get hit by that car?!  She's so stupid!"

• Love 1
 I just hope Rayna is right that Maddie would be there for her when the time calls for it.  Because at times, I truly wonder if Daphne got hit by a car, Maddie's response would be "God!  Why did she have to get hit by that car?!  She's so stupid!"

Haha!  Yep, that pretty much sums up Maddie.

• Love 4
(edited)

I haven't been a fan of Maddie's behavior, in long time, but, in fairness, those 4 years between 12 and 16, are enormous. They're simply at totally different places, in their young lives. It would be a little weird, if a 16 year old, did want to spend a lot of time, hanging with a 12 year old.

Kind of like that 18-21 gap. You hit 18, you think you're quite the grown up, and it's So annoying, that you're Parents are freaked, that you're romantic eyeing a 21 year old guy. It's only 3.years. Three years that you do about 10 years worth of maturing in!

It doesn't make Daphne's hurt feelings less sad, or negate Maddie's too often, obnoxious behavior(which I think is handing for worse) but, I still think they have a pretty solid core.

Time flies. Before they know it, they'll be 21 and 25. They probably won't be living together and getting on each other's nerves daily, the age gap will seem insignificant. They can be Adult Sisters and Friends.

Of course, my optimism doesn't make for good drama! so, , on a Nashville spin off, Maddie would flirt with alcoholism, and Daphne would be a supportive friend to her long suffering Husband, leading to an affair, while Maddie's in rehab!

Sweet Daphne! Who knew?!

Edited by pattycat
  • Love 4

I'm having a hard time buying Riff as Luke's "idol" and "mentor" and someone who was apparently successful in the music business well before Luke when the actor playing him (Tony winner Steve Kazee) is five years YOUNGER than Will Chase (the Broadway star who plays Luke.) Couldn't they have found someone who looks substantially older?

• Love 1

My whole thing isn't that I don't understand why Maddie can't hang out with Daphne and why would she want to, it's not that Maddie hardly acknowledges Daphne's presence and when she does, she isn't kind or nice. She's downright rude to her. Poor Daphne can't even say hello to her sister anymore. 

• Love 1

Just to be clear: "LET"S USE THE ONLY LINES OF OUR CAREER TO PROP UP DEACON WHILE FRANKIE MAKES LEMON FACES!" also made me laugh until I made the kind of snorting noise I intend to deny outside of this forum.

• Love 1

Haha!  Yep, that pretty much sums up Maddie.

"All I wanted to do was sing and write music and here's Daphne getting hit by a car. UGH! You don't care at all about me!"

The writers have gone 30 miles over the line of teen cliche for Maddie. Hopefully they can reverse course.

• Love 2
Now the actress is making different acting choices. Cash seems a lot more overbearing and judgemental. She's clearly annoyed by Cash. It feels exaggerated and weird, like she has ulterior motives. Maybe she thinks she can make money off Maddie's talent, which could be a very realistic story.

It doesn't seem like just an acting choice to me.  Cash had lines in there where she said Rayna had approved her picking Maddie up from school, and she had to get Maddie home by curfew.  She doesn't seem to be trying to separate Maddie from Rayna, nor have we seen Cash in that many scenes with Rayna, which I would expect if Cash's goal was emancipation or the stealing of Maddie's work.  Rayna is Maddie's mother and controls her business interests at this point.  OTOH, Cash is heavily interested in how Colt affects Maddie.  He is always in scenes with Cash and Maddie.  If the writers did not intend for Cash to come off as romantically interested in Maddie, they need to fix something. Colt represents Maddie's love life, and that's what seems to be irritating Cash.  It's coming across as Cash perceiving Colt as a threat for Maddie's romantic affections.  Verrry creepy.

I hope that some positive changes are made to Maddie's character because she has become unlikable on lots of levels.

OTOH, Cash is heavily interested in how Colt affects Maddie.  He is always in scenes with Cash and Maddie.  If the writers did not intend for Cash to come off as romantically interested in Maddie, they need to fix something. Colt represents Maddie's love life, and that's what seems to be irritating Cash.  It's coming across as Cash perceiving Colt as a threat for Maddie's romantic affections.  Verrry creepy.

Indeed. I thought her decision to sing Maddie's song at the Bluebird was a pointed choice. She knew it would stir up crap between Colt and Maddie. (oblivious Maddie)

I have to kind of stick up for Frankie here.  Seriously, Deacon is the worst business partner.  Frankie's little dive may have been having problems, but it was his place for years, and he seemed really happy there.  Then Deacon offers the partnership with the whole idea of making it the up and coming hot spot in Nashville.  I never really got the feeling that that was what Frankie wanted, but he was willing to go along with it for Deacon's sake.  He was being a good friend.  Then all of a sudden Deacon seems to completely forget that this is not just his place.  Frankie is in charge of hiring, but he pretty much bull dozes Frankie into hiring Vita because Rayna wanted them to do it.  Frankie didn't want to do it, and Deacon pretty much just ignored him and kept pushing.  Then Deacon books Riff without talking to Frankie first and puts him in Frankie's spot, which it seemed to me he'd been looking forward to performing.  It's not a matter of what was better for the bar - it's a matter of decency and not pushing your partner out of the way.  And then after doing all that, he's basking in the glory of the night and can't even remember that it's not him his bar - it's Frankie's as well and was Frankie's first and remind people of that.  Deacon has been kind of doing his own thing for months now and apologizing to Frankie after he runs over him.  Is it any wonder Frankie has gotten to the point where he can't take it any more?  He has nothing if he walks away from the bar.  That's been his whole life for ages.  Stop being a jerk, Deacon.  He's your partner and more importantly he's your friend and more importantly than that - he's the one who helped you get and remain sober.  Geez, buddy. 

I can't honestly say I care about Vita's life, but damn I love her voice and her songs.  And speaking of clueless people, we wondered last week why Rayna didn't think to see if Vita needed some money.  The girl is living in her car, for pete's sake.  A simple - do you need a loan until payday? - would have/could have avoided a whole big mess. 

• Love 1

to the people who can't see why a 16yo would ever hang out with a 12yo it might be worth remembering that lennon stella seems to like hanging with her sister maisie quite a lot...

Lennon does seem to enjoy being with her sister, but she also has her own circle of friends and her own activities, as does Maisy. And let's not forget that Lennon and Maisy are paid to be together, to perform, do interviews, be in fashion shows, etc. That's not to insinuate that they wouldn't hang out otherwise but they're likely together more than they might normally be because of the show.

• Love 1
(edited)

First of all, when Deacon went into the partnership with Frankie, Frankie, was, supposedly about to lose the bar.

Yes Deacon had his reasons for going into the partnership, and, yes, he's been excited to make improvements, see it grow and become more of a success.

If you pour your money and hard work and heart into something, isn't it natural to want it to succeed? If Frankie's idea of what he wanted, was a quiet, kind of dumpy, little hole in the wall bar, with familiar faces, and no stress, them he shouldn't have gone into business with Deacon, he should have found another way to save his bar.

If Deacon has over stepped their partnership arrangement, sometimes, and maybe he has, then say, "Hey, we need to sit down and talk about some things, and clear the air, about what we both expect in this partnership".

Deacon's never been a business owner, he's never had a partner; I think he's clueless, that Frankie was as bothered, as he was. Talk(not exactly any of these characters strong suit)!

Frankie didnt help Deacon get sober. He's been sober the. Entire show, with the exception, of his brief fall off the wagon, with the Maddie reveal. I think Frankie did help Deacon, when he was struggling with Beverly's death, and he's seemed to give him good advice other times, too.

It makes no sense, that Frankie would, suddenly, be so jealous and resentful of Deacon, he'd fall of the. Wagon, himself. I wonder, if we're going to find out there's something more going on, in his life?

Edited by pattycat
  • Love 1

If Deacon has over stepped their partnership arrangement, sometimes, and maybe he has, then say, "Hey, we need to sit down and talk about some things, and clear the air, about what we both expect in this partnership".

Except they have talked several times about it, and Deacon keeps overstepping anyway.

Frankie didnt help Deacon get sober. He's been sober the. Entire show, with the exception, of his brief fall off the wagon, with the Maddie reveal. I think Frankie did help Deacon, when he was struggling with Beverly's death, and he's seemed to give him good advice other times, too.

I may be misremembering, but I thought it was established that Frankie had been a big part of Deacon's rehab process from practically the beginning (which would have taken place before the timeline of the show started.

It makes no sense, that Frankie would, suddenly, be so jealous and resentful of Deacon, he'd fall of the. Wagon, himself. I wonder, if we're going to find out there's something more going on, in his life?

I could be wrong, but I don't read it as Frankie being jealous and resentful of Deacon.  I read it as Frankie feeling like he's being pushed out of what was his own business.  This is a business that has been his whole life for a long time.  He and Deacon were going to build a new business together, but now it seems like it's all Deacon and Frankie is being marginalized.  This isn't something that just happened - it's been building almost since they started their partnership.  There have been a lot of times when Frankie hasn't seemed really okay with some of the decisions Deacon has made, but he trusted Deacon and went along with him because he believed in the vision.  But Deacon doesn't really seem to respect Frankie's input or his feelings.  Deacon does what Deacon wants to do.  It can be hard to resist his enthusiasm, but that doesn't mean Frankie has been okay with all of this.  We've seen enough hints over the past few months to believe he's not really okay with all of it.  But he's been trying for Deacon's sake.  I think Frankie is feeling lost and disrespected, and I think he's worried about his future.  What does he do if this partnership doesn't work out?  What happens if he loses his best friend over this?  I can't blame Frankie for perhaps feeling like Deacon is just using him to fulfill his own dream because Deacon sure doesn't act much like he's got a partner who should be part of the decision-making process.

• Love 1

But he's been trying for Deacon's sake.  I think Frankie is feeling lost and disrespected, and I think he's worried about his future.  What does he do if this partnership doesn't work out?  What happens if he loses his best friend over this?  I can't blame Frankie for perhaps feeling like Deacon is just using him to fulfill his own dream because Deacon sure doesn't act much like he's got a partner who should be part of the decision-making process.

While Deacon has been overstepping boundaries, Frankie hasn't been acting like an equal partner and putting the brakes on things if he disagrees.  Neither has been a good partner to each other since they don't effectively communicate.

And a business arrangement should not be motivated for the partners "sake". 

While Deacon has been overstepping boundaries, Frankie hasn't been acting like an equal partner and putting the brakes on things if he disagrees.  Neither has been a good partner to each other since they don't effectively communicate.

And a business arrangement should not be motivated for the partners "sake". 

I agree, but it can get complicated when you mix business and friendship.  I think they kind of rushed into this and may have had different expectations for the new bar, which were exacerbated because, as you point out, they don't effectively communicate. 

(edited)

**I may be misremembering, but I thought it was established that Frankie had been a big part of Deacon's rehab process from practically the beginning (which would have taken place before the timeline of the show started."

-----------

Frankie appeared for the first time this season. The person, who, had known Deacon, since the earliest days of his career, who had been his sponsor for many years, who helped him get and stay sober, was Coleman Carlisle.

Remember Cole, from Season One?

Alas, during the Maddie reveal, Deacon also learned that Cole had played a strong part, in encouraging Rayna, to let Deacon go, and move on with her own life. He may have known, from the beginning, about Deacon being Maddie's Dad. I got the impression he did, but, it was never entirely clear.

Learning about the involvement of his Longtime sponsor and friend, in that whole mess, was another devastating blow, to Deacon.

We never saw Cole, after season one, and, it's unclear, also, when Frankie became his new sponsor, but my impression, it's fairly recent. I think the Frankie/Deacon situation is going to get a whole lot worse, so, we may get info on their timeline, as it does.

Edited by pattycat
  • Love 2

We never saw Cole, after season one, and, it's unclear, also, when Frankie became his new sponsor, but my impression, it's fairly recent. I think the Frankie/Deacon situation is going to get a whole lot worse, so, we may get info on their timeline, as it does.

I remember Coleman and him being Deacon's sponsor at the beginning, but for some reason I was under the impression that Deacon and Frankie had known each other for a very long time, perhaps had even played/toured together.  But I couldn't point to what made me think that.  Maybe I misunderstood a conversation somewhere along the line.  Anyway, since I have been under the impression that they are long-time friends, that probably explains why I view that situation differently.

(edited)

I remember Coleman and him being Deacon's sponsor at the beginning, but for some reason I was under the impression that Deacon and Frankie had known each other for a very long time, perhaps had even played/toured together. But I couldn't point to what made me think that. Maybe I misunderstood a conversation somewhere along the line. Anyway, since I have been under the impression that they are long-time friends, that probably explains why I view that situation differently.

I never got that impression. I was under the impression that he was a new sponsor after Coleman skipped town.

Frankie had been going on in meetings about losing the only thing that mattered or something along that verbiage in reference to the bar doing poorly, which is why Deacon bought in.

While I do think Deacon is taking everything too far (but I blame that on bad writing as I do not think for one second the Deacon we know and love would've stood on that stage and accepted all of the attention without calling Frankie out) I also think Frankie's expectations were clearly skewed and make no sense.

This bar is the best thing in life (or whatever the heck he said) and you don't know what you'll do without it, so someone with money comes in and changes some things with a goal of being the hottest venue in Nashville (and in turn the most profitable) and you start drinking when they book the equivalent of Tim McGraw's reverse-retirement party and someone points out your backer has done a lot for the place in comparison to what it was when it was, you know... failing?

Either you want the bar to succeed or you don't. Clearly Frankie's idea of utopia was not working, so which does he want?

Edited by airwair
  • Love 1
(edited)

Airware: I totally agree with everything you said.

Unfortunately, Nashville does, some times have a tendency to give characters behavioral changes, that are whiplash inducing! I, too, think the Deacon we know, would have acknowledged Frankie. However, I can see, in the excitement of the moment, just not thinking of it.

And yes, what does Frankie want the bar to be? I'm sure this is all a set up, for the drama, that's to come. Too bad, two guys that struggle with similar demons, I'm sure they could both use a strong friendship, in their lives.

Edited by pattycat

This bar is the best thing in life (or whatever the heck he said) and you don't know what you'll do without it, . . . 

Either you want the bar to succeed or you don't. Clearly Frankie's idea of utopia was not working, so which does he want?

I think that's a very simplistic view of a very complicated issue.  My take is that Frankie is feeling like he's being pushed out of his own bar.  Things are happening faster than he expected, and Deacon is making a lot of decisions on is own without consulting Frankie.  Even though they've talked about it, Deacon hasn't changed that - he still does what he wants and apologizes later.  As far as Frankie is concerned, he is the one with no power in the partnership.  Deacon is well known in his own right, and now he's married to the queen of country music who is adored by almost everyone.  If Deacon decides to take over the bar and cut Frankie out, do you think there's much of anything Frankie can do?  Frankie is having an emotional response to an emotional issue - the bar is not just a business to him - it's pretty much his whole life.  And he feels like it's being taken away from him, and there's nothing he can do about it.  And he has nothing to fall back on if that happens.  Nowhere to go.  It has got to be extremely frightening for him.  I may be shown to be wrong in the remaining episodes.  Only time will tell.  But right now I have a great deal of sympathy for Frankie and have to fight the urge to smack Deacon upside the head and tell him to stop being such a jerk.

"If Deacon decides to take over the bar and cut Frankie out, do you think there's much of anything Frankie can do? "

-_________________________

I don't understand this? Surely, they're both reasonably intelligent men, who, didn't go into a partnership, without a legal agreement, to protect them both. Differences between partners, are certainly not unusual. That's why you'd have to be an idiot, not to have your own attorney, looking after your interests, if you enter a partnership. I don't think either of them are idiots!

I can only think of two instances, where Deacon has gone off on his own. The hiring Vita; he was trying to help a young artist he was excited about. But, yes, if Frankie is in charge of hiring, and said no, they couldn't agree, then the final say should have been his.

The bringing Riff in to perform. If, as Frankie, you had a modest career, now own a bar, and, you have the chance to have a retired legend, perform at your bar, I'd think you'd be thrilled to step aside, and perform another time; enjoy the prestige of having that guy on your stage. But, of course, Deacons excitement, shouldn't have precluded him from talking to Frankie, about it, first.

As for not giving a call out to Frankie from the stage, I really think that was more, a getting caught up in the excitement, of the moment thing.

I don't think any of Deacon's behavior was, in anyway malicious, or, trying to push Frankie out. But if he's this upset about it, he needs to actually sit Deacon down and clearly confront him about it.

• Love 1

I don't think any of Deacon's behavior was, in anyway malicious, or, trying to push Frankie out. But if he's this upset about it, he needs to actually sit Deacon down and clearly confront him about it.

I agree.  I don't think Deacon is being malicious or trying to push Frankie out, and yes, Frankie should sit down and talk to Deacon about it.  But for whatever reason, he seems reluctant to do that.  However, that does not mean Frankie's *perception* of being pushed out isn't valid.  Feelings are feelings - they're not right or wrong, they just are.  It looks like Deacon now understands the problems and hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out between them.