Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

(edited)

Oh boy am I not happy about this:

https://deadline.com/2021/04/general-hospital-home-family-cameron-mathison-cast-abc-drama-1234724798/

Mathison's Ryan was an anchor that weighed down "All My Children" for years so I'm not eager to see him take on a big slice of screen time here.  I just hope it's a new character.

ETA...oh gawd, and imagine if they brought back Rebecca Budig!  KMN!

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I'm imagining fevered phone calls going back and forth between GH and Rebecca Budig's agents. 

Why is it so hard to write for the characters they already have? It's not like there are only a handful. There are literally dozens of characters already on the show, either contract or recurring, that could use more attention. 

• Love 8

I would rather AMC coming back than shipping some of their characters over to GH despite nostalgia value. To be fair... some characters did well on both soaps but I don’t know if you can stand Ryan Lavery unless they decided to give him a new name. I’m ok with him personally but I’m aware some fans don’t really like him at all. 

I’ll be keeping tab on this developing news 🤔

• Love 1

I wonder if Frank went for CM before or after ABC nixed Todd? Though he may not be playing Ryan. Maybe he'll  be Tad's  Martin's son. 

Frank wants a hybrid of the 3 shows whether it makes sense or not and...

200.gif

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

Oh boy am I not happy about this:

https://deadline.com/2021/04/general-hospital-home-family-cameron-mathison-cast-abc-drama-1234724798/

Mathison's Ryan was an anchor that weighed down "All My Children" for years so I'm not eager to see him take on a big slice of screen time here.  I just hope it's a new character.

Well, that confirms I will NEVER start watching GH ever again.  Bringing the Douchecanoe of Pine Valley to Port Charles may sink GH the same way that wretched character played by that walking tooth whitening ad sunk AMC.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Gigi43 said:

I wonder if Frank went for CM before or after ABC nixed Todd? Though he may not be playing Ryan. Maybe he'll  be Tad's  Martin's son. 

Frank wants a hybrid of the 3 shows whether it makes sense or not and...

200.gif

I think he’ll be a returning character whose now closer in age with his “ twin”

2 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

On WandaVision, while I hear it was mostly a great show, the audience complained Wanda wasn't punished enough for basically enslaving the town and the show runners were all like "Sure she did- the town gave her bad looks!" It still didn't pass the smell test. (Though is seems to be more of a punishment then everyone person who commits so violent crime get. At least no one died.)

I think it depends on what measuring stick you're using. For all that Original Recipe Franco was a disgusting mess from the jump, remember the time Liz knew that Jake was actually Jason, or something like that since that whole storyline was a mess too, and she kept it to herself because she wanted to "win" him for once? Liz is still one of the better characters on the show, morally speaking,  but what consequences did she suffer for keeping the truth away from him, and I'm pretty sure they had sex a few times before he regained his memories. I don't consider losing Jason a consequence since he's a lifeless lump on a good day, so you might as well say she got away with it. And that was before they attached New And Not So Improved Franco to her like a remora, which led to many scenes of her making excuses and/or insisting that everyone should just "get over" the things he did in the past. I've seen here that some people grew to enjoy the Friz family and might even be sad that Franco's dead, but now Peter's still around. Doesn't solve the original problem, it just gives it a different name.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Color me pleasantly surprised the show exposed BL's pregnancy for the fake we thought it was.

Yes, but who else knows? Just us, the viewers, or anyone else on the show? I'm guessing Olivia does, based on your comment above about her using Leo against Julian?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mariah23 said:

I think he’ll be a returning character whose now closer in age with his “ twin”

Drew?  That's my fear.  I want Billy Miller to come back and play Drew.   Whatever, but I wouldn't be thrilled one bit. 

• Love 4

I didn't like the evolution of the Ryan character on AMC, but I didn't fully blame that on CM so I'm open to him playing someone else on GH.... as long as Rebecca B isn't involved in any way whatsoever.  I would prefer BM come back as Drew, but I don't see that happening, so I just want Drew back, period.  If it has to be CM....... fine I guess.

• Love 2
(edited)

I stopped watching AMC long before everyone had to stop watching AMC, but I do not have good memories of Mathison at all. I remember when Chevy Chase's love interest from Fletch killed Ryan's wife Gillian while gunning for Anna Devane. There were endless scenes of Ryan as the grieving husband, and this heavy drama was so far beyond CM's comfort zone. His big default move was putting both hands behind his head and running his fingers through the back of his hair while making an ugly-cry face. It was just on the border of funny.

He just always struck me as one of those hunky white guys who aren't good actors but get work because they're "castable," and then they don't even try to improve because it's all going their way already. Maybe I was projecting; I don't know anything about his personality. I'll give him a blank slate when he shows up on GH. I'll hope his performance is not a blank slate.

ETA: The cast is getting way overpopulated. Is anyone thinking Nikolas isn't long for the show? He's connected to a lot of people, but he's never on. And they're bringing boring Shawn back, so that could be a "reckoning" story.  

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Asp Burger said:

I stopped watching AMC long before everyone had to stop watching AMC, but I do not have good memories of Mathison at all. I remember when Chevy Chase's love interest from Fletch killed Ryan's wife Gillian while gunning for Anna Devane. There were endless scenes of Ryan as the grieving husband, and this heavy drama was so far beyond CM's comfort zone. His big default move was putting both hands behind his head and running his fingers through the back of his hair while making an ugly-cry face. It was just on the border of funny.

He just always struck me as one of those hunky white guys who aren't good actors but get work because they're "castable," and then they don't even try to improve because it's all going their way already. Maybe I was projecting; I don't know anything about his personality. I'll give him a blank slate when he shows up on GH. I'll hope his performance is not a blank slate.

ETA: The cast is getting way overpopulated. Is anyone thinking Nikolas isn't long for the show? He's connected to a lot of people, but he's never on. And they're bringing boring Shawn back, so that could be a "reckoning" story.  

At this point they better keep Nik around because he's the only kid Laura has left in town.

OT but I'm trying to remember whether it was Kendall or Greenlee, Ryan called a cancer,  I think Greenlee, can anyone confirm? CM seems like a nice guy irl but boy he can't act.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

I know exactly what you are talking about.  🙂

I was a huge Ryan/Gillian fan, and I was upset and angry enough at the way that happened with Gillian's heart and Laura and all of it that I was distracted from being annoyed at that, but I do remember that habit.  

On 4/1/2021 at 12:47 PM, jsbt said:

I often have thought Todd would have real value to GH as a mover and shaker to come in and out and make trouble in story, like Marco Dane or Tracy did in the 90s. But that’s all stuff you could’ve done before 2017 and MeToo. The world is different now. It’s just not responsible or forward thinking, if you’re thinking about modernizing the genre, to let a serial rapist lead a soap. It's part of the same reason Franco ultimately failed. Todd has to be put away.

I think you nailed it. Not that I think any of TP’sTB are all that interested in modernizing the genre, but as you say, the world is different now. It was hard enough in the 80’s to brush away past rapes as youthful indiscretions, but nobody’s buying that now. It’s a wonder it took ABC this long. 

I know people are tired of reincarnated actors, but I do think RH could still add value to the show in a number of ways. He could go up against the Q’s as a powerful businessman (kind of like Jax before Jax became a wuss, aka Carly’s lapdog) and help steer some of the focus away from the mob. He could come back as Drew (although I, too, would prefer to see Billy Miller in that role, I’m not holding my breath) which would provide an easy path back to partnering with Becky, if that’s what Roger wants. I also think there’s a lot that could still be mined with the character of Drew. 

He could also be a new doctor, and help steer focus to the hospital. As long as he’s not in Sonny’s orbit, having an actor of his stature in a non-mob, non-otherwise problematic role could be a real asset. Also, I like Roger, so I’m glad he’s coming back.

As for Cameron Matthison, I know nothing about him, but what I’m reading here is doing nothing to pique my interest. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I'd rather Drew stays dead.

I'm torn on this, mostly because I think his ending was so sloppy. And if he is played by RoHo, at least it's an existing character and not yet another newbie. 

Has there been any indication of when RoHo will return?

I don't think this show has any interest in Drew right now & definitely not a Drew played by Billy.  I don't see CM as Drew. I think maybe he ties in with Roger's new character.  

18 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

OT but I'm trying to remember whether it was Kendall or Greenlee, Ryan called a cancer,  I think Greenlee, can anyone confirm? CM seems like a nice guy irl but boy he can't act.

It was Kendall he called a cancer, it was (pregnant!) Greenlee he very nearly punched in the face.

He was AMC's leading man and romantic hero, in case anyone is wondering.

If CM is debuting, I’m guessing IR is out soon. Jax has been really isolated, he and Nina seem done for good, and they don’t seem to be doing anything with him and Carly. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Howarth bids farewell to Franco and Friz. “I think Becky makes magic. She can always get Elizabeth to a place where the audience can’t help but feel the things that Elizabeth is feeling, and I think it’s no wonder that she’s so beloved by her fans. I’m sure that she is going to continue to delight and bring sparkle to whatever is next for Elizabeth. I’m sure of that. I’m grateful that I got to dance with her for as long as I did."

He claims not to know whom he will be playing next. 

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/icymi-roger-howarth-interview-1701613/

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 4

That's very sweet, and I agree with him.  I have enjoyed every pairing that Liz has been involved in, at least for a while.  Except whatever the hell they were trying with the creepy Ewan guy.  

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, ouinason said:

That's very sweet, and I agree with him.  I have enjoyed every pairing that Liz has been involved in, at least for a while.  Except whatever the hell they were trying with the creepy Ewan guy.  

I preferred Ewan to Franco. But yes it was nice and well deserved.

On 4/5/2021 at 8:04 PM, Asp Burger said:

Is anyone thinking Nikolas isn't long for the show? He's connected to a lot of people, but he's never on. And they're bringing boring Shawn back, so that could be a "reckoning" story.  

I really called that one wrong. Within a day, they started integrating him better, and he's had a great week so far. He was really in the all-about-Ava bubble for a while.  

On 4/6/2021 at 4:54 PM, ffwbe said:

I’m guessing IR is out soon. Jax has been really isolated, he and Nina seem done for good, and they don’t seem to be doing anything with him and Carly. 

Jax has been stripped of everything that made him interesting, so I'd be fine with them giving the character another rest. This has been the worst of all IR's returns. Admittedly, that will leave only Carly and the other teen characters to support Josslyn and let her know how remarkable she is, and she'll need even more support when Dad isn't living close by anymore (much worse than anything Trina and Cameron have had to deal with). But I think they can pull together and get the job done.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

Once upon a time I enjoyed Ryan, and even CM on AMC. But towards the end they made him one of the most misogynistic, mean men, and always against their leading ladies. It still didn’t hit the GH level of women hating but it was not pleasant and CM offered nothing acting wise to help rise above it. That plus his weird relationship with the much despised Carolyn Hinsey didn’t leave me thinking much of him. 

GH is so over populated these days and barely writes for the people they have. FV has so many actors on it basically IS a small town population.  

• Love 2

I agree about IR. Nina is gonna be at the bar with Sonny for months to come. Unless, they are hooking him up Brook Lynn or the gawd awful Sasha there ain’t many woman in PC available for Jax. Maybe, that’s why they are bringing Cameron Mathison on. A new guy for the woman of PC. IR is gypsy and comes and goes from daytime to prime time so I wouldn’t be shocked if he left again especially now. There is any storyline for him except trying to calm Carly down. 

It's been 3 months and 1 day since that asshole Valentini stated in an interview that his staff was working on a tribute episode for John Reilly.

I need to see that NOW. In my dreams, I see him reaching out to Sri Rao to write it. But I can't have nice things.

• Love 4

I can't believe it.

Alan Locher of the Locher Room is bringing together the people behind two of my favorite couples ever--Kin Shriner & Shell Danielson (Scott & Dominique) and Brad Maule & Jackie Zeman (Tony & Bobbie)--together for a conversation on Saturday, May 1st, at 7 PM Eastern.

I'm probably never going to get my favorite daytime soap couple (James DePaiva & Fiona Hutchison, OLTL's Max & Gabrielle) together in their own conversation with Alan (although they've done other reunions with him), but this is incredible. Because sometimes, the soap gods really DO smile on me and give me something I want. :)

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

John Reilly's real-life daughter will play Sean Donely's daughter in the tribute episode: 

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/general-hospital-john-reilly-tribute-caitlin-reilly-casting-1234951545/

It's a smart decision for a few reasons, but it does slightly bum me out that the show sees the casting of Anna/Annie Donely as a one-off versus actually thinking about investing in the character.

But WHEN will it air? That article didn't even have that date. So is Ana going from a redhead to a blonde now? yeesh.

2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

John Reilly's real-life daughter will play Sean Donely's daughter in the tribute episode: 

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/general-hospital-john-reilly-tribute-caitlin-reilly-casting-1234951545/

It's a smart decision for a few reasons, but it does slightly bum me out that the show sees the casting of Anna/Annie Donely as a one-off versus actually thinking about investing in the character.

I want to say this: I think all roles should go through a casting process, especially legacy character roles (in which we have known or seen the character for decades, even if it off screen), however, I thought that Molly Burnett could work in the role (also that Molly could make a decent Georgie Jones the first, recast).

3 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I think all roles should go through a casting process

This is the show that finds its actors in supermarkets and parking lots. 

That said, Caitlin Reilly is an actor, and for a one-off like this, I think it's quite touching.

• Love 8

I'm with TeeVee. I'll just quote myself again: It's a lovely thing to do, but as with Carly Schroeder's guest appearance I'm always left asking 'why not just hire these people on contract?' I'm sure Reilly's daughter isn't at all interested in a soap contract (until TikTok dries up anyway), but you know what I mean. These characters (Anna Donely, Serena) are money on the table being left unused in favor of inferior choices.

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But WHEN will it air? That article didn't even have that date. So is Ana going from a redhead to a blonde now? yeesh.

Anna Donely was seen for two days eight years ago. Recasts change hair color all the time.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

This is the show that finds its actors in supermarkets and parking lots. 

That said, Caitlin Reilly is an actor, and for a one-off like this, I think it's quite touching.

Oh, I agree. For the one off, it is fine. I was just saying about roles being properly cast for long term characters, they should have people read for the roles and not cast them because they have an "in" with the producers or dropping their girlfriend off at work. Since Molly Burnett has worked with GH in the past, I think they would just drop her into the role without developing the character or having her see if she actually fits the role. I don't hate Wes Ramsey, but he might have better as a Sly Eckhert recast instead of Peter. 

4 hours ago, jsbt said:

I'm with TeeVee. I'll just quote myself again: It's a lovely thing to do, but as with Carly Schroeder's guest appearance I'm always left asking 'why not just hire these people on contract?' I'm sure Reilly's daughter isn't at all interested in a soap contract (until TikTok dries up anyway), but you know what I mean. These characters (Anna Donely, Serena) are money on the table being left unused in favor of inferior choices.

Of course, Carly Schroeder herself probably isn't interested in a contract either, given that she's currently serving as an active U.S. Army officer, but your point is most definitely still valid--Serena SHOULD still be around, even if CS isn't the one in the role. 

• Love 2

It's great the the parents of the twins who play Wiley like CD--and that CD seems sweet with them off-camera--but it really doesn't translate on screen and that kid should still not exist. 

Also, LMAOOOOOO forever at the tech guy telling the parents the tv was turned off in the screen room because they were filming the Millow sex scene and it was "X-rated."

https://www.soapsindepth.com/posts/general-hospital/a-backstage-peek-with-theo-and-erik-olson

• LOL 2