Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, ulkis said:

And now, a very special episode from mobsters who treat their partners like crap hospital . . .

Hey, GH, thanks so much in helping keep my mind off my off-the-charts election anxiety!

Yay, Genie! Speaking of 1977, as mentioned in the article, she does not look all that much older than teen Laura here. I wish the show wouldn't schlub her up so much.  https://www.soapcentral.com/gh/news/2020/1029-genie_francis_returns.php

Edited by Auntie Velvet
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, ulkis said:

@sas616 Absolutely not, they get along great. It's possible he didn't want to be re-paired with her right away for story reasons, but I'm sure he wouldn't want her fired.

I really wouldn't think any actor would want another fired, especially in these times.   After reading her post, I feel so bad for her and her family.  It had to come as such a shock since she's been working steadily for years.  If the plan is to recast, that will be even more devasting for her.  What a tough business.  

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Hey, GH, thanks so much in helping keep my mind off my off-the-charts election anxiety!

Yay, Genie! Speaking of 1977, as mentioned in the article, she does not look all that much older than teen Laura here. I wish the show wouldn't schlub her up so much.  https://www.soapcentral.com/gh/news/2020/1029-genie_francis_returns.php

Laura Wright just sounds ridiculous as a suffragette, because all I saw and heard was the SheBeast talking. Too bad Genie didn't return in time, because I'd rather SEE and HEAR Genie Francis in that role. Or Becky Herbst. ANYONE but Wright.

Show can just STOP trying to convince me that Eden McCoy has any talent whatsoever. Because she doesn't.

Huh. Maybe I should have posted this in the Unpopular Thread.

• Love 8

Becky Herbst would have been interesting in the role because she can play both tough and vulnerable.  LW always appears so damned entitled it's like everyone else is insubordinant for not having given her the vote already.

The problem when GH does these sorts of things is that most of the actors play 2020 instead of 1920. Eden McCoy is particularly bad but few of the others manage to play in the time period either. It makes me want to snark like MST3000.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Becky Herbst would have been interesting in the role because she can play both tough and vulnerable.  LW always appears so damned entitled it's like everyone else is insubordinant for not having given her the vote already.

The problem when GH does these sorts of things is that most of the actors play 2020 instead of 1920. Eden McCoy is particularly bad but few of the others manage to play in the time period either. It makes me want to snark like MST3000.

I remember what a good job Becky did playing Jessie Brewer in that episode where the current cast played the original characters. Yeah, yeah, Laura did a good job playing Luke's mother, blah, blah, fishcakes.

Genie, Becky, and if she were still on the show, Kimberly McCullough could hit this out of the park.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Genie, Becky, and if she were still on the show, Kimberly McCullough could hit this out of the park.

They could and they still wouldn't be chosen to play that role. Carly being the matriarch of the show tells you everything you need to know about anything GH.

Meryl Streep could join the cast tomorrow morning and her character would be given zero value next to Carly.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

Laura Wright in the latest SOD about her and Burton:

"You can give us anything, any time of day, and you're going to have magic, period."

Someone please provide a gif for my feelings.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ulkis said:

"You can give us anything, any time of day, and you're going to have magic, period."

jenlaw.gif.3968a200c348f499e01709cd68a68624.gif

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

What I found utterly ridiculous about the clip of Joss "voting" with that machine, assuming it was the actual polling place, was that Trina was right next to her, watching, as Joss pulled the lever.

Hello! No one is supposed to be with you--and if you don't know how to work the dang machine, there are instructions!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

What I found utterly ridiculous about the clip of Joss "voting" with that machine, assuming it was the actual polling place, was that Trina was right next to her, watching, as Joss pulled the lever.

Hello! No one is supposed to be with you--and if you don't know how to work the dang machine, there are instructions!

Well everything Joss does in life is important. Therefore it must be witnessed for posterity. Oh, look! Princess Joss crossed the street! Quick! Alert the media! In 10,000 years, after humans have destroyed themselves and then start rebuilding, they will need the benefit of Jocelyn Jacks' experiences. That's why she was keeping journals. They are instructions on how to pray, eat, love.

• LOL 9

This should probably go in the unpopular thread, but since I saw it on Twitter, I'm putting it here. I adore Finola Hughes. But my eyes couldn't roll hard enough when she tagged Frank when announcing the 25th, I think it was, anniversary of her joining this show. Sorry, that honor goes to the late Gloria Monty. Or maybe she felt she should thank him for keeping the show going or whatever. I admit, I zoned out after I saw his name. He didn't have a damned thing to do with her hiring or being on the show for so many years.

Yeah, bitter, still, and forever at how he's ruined such a good character.

• Love 4
On 10/30/2020 at 10:54 AM, ulkis said:

episode 8 bullshit GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

This is what makes me so guilty about liking LW more than (most of) the rest of you: Every once in awhile she says something that makes her sound SO full of herself, it's hard to take her seriously. And then I'll watch her in one of those soap reunions Alan Locher has done on YouTube (with her being in the ones for Guiding Light, of course), and she comes across as pretty damn cool and likable. Go figure.

If I had to guess, it probably comes from having a pretty uninterrupted streak of work in daytime for nearly 30 years: She was discovered in some kind of contest where she basically won the chance to audition for Loving, and got it quickly enough that she had to move up from Maryland (REPRESENT!) to New York overnight. She had been helping run her family's gas station in Maryland in addition to trying to break into modeling and acting (I'm assuming primarily in the DC/Baltimore area) before that. And except for a brief time between The City being cancelled and getting cast on Guiding Light, she's basically been consistently working in soaps ever since. And I do wonder if her more obnoxious quotes is her overcompensating for feeling she got a lucky break she didn't deserve, on some level, and if there's some sort of underlying fear that, now that she's 50, it's going to be harder for her to find work outside of GH once she doesn't have that anymore.

Sorry, that got WAY too deep, but I just wonder that about her sometimes. She always gives her all onscreen, I give her complete credit for that. (And as far as what she said about SBu and KeMo: In fairness, knowing and working people personally can make people blind to things about their abilities that viewers like us might see quite easily, just saying.) 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3

I have always sort of liked LW, from when I first saw her in …. I guess The City because I know I never saw Loving.... but even when she says stupid shit I don't hate her.  I also give her credit for being the ONLY one of the shitty quad to be consistently present and actually trying in her scenes.

I still hate Carly  NULOCH 4eva!!!!

• Love 3

LW knows how the game is played. She sometimes comes across as a bit tone-deaf, but she means well, I think.

1 hour ago, ouinason said:

I also give her credit for being the ONLY one of the shitty quad to be consistently present and actually trying in her scenes.

Seriously. LW never phones it in.

• Love 8

I’m a liker of LW since Loving. Although, I was really a bigger Cassie fan when she was on GL. Both she and Cynthia Watros were off the charts awesome on GL. I like her on GH in general. Of course, her being in the Sonny & Jason vortex makes her unlikable to a lot of people but I do think she gives a lot of effort and also is a big proponent of daytime which I appreciate. They’ll be lovers and haters of all actors which I totally get. Normally, I would blame RC for this but whomever writes the show now has done the same thing. It must be a mandate from ABC since it’s been going on before even FV got there. That said, I don’t think Eden McCoy is nearly as strong as Laura Wright was when she first started. I think LW was 20-21 when she joined Loving. Eden McCoy was only 14 but her range is no where what Laura had even though she was a few years older. Then you throw in the tortious Oscar stuff in and I wanted to gouge my eyes out. LOL!!!!!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm the opposite in that I just kind of irrationally hate her so I can't even really appreciate any of her good qualities lol.

*hangs head in shame*

I feel like y'all are going to drop me in a vat of blood in some sort of witch coven sacrifice for admitting this. I feel like I crossed a line of some sort, lol. 

Edited by UYI

I have no problem with Laura Wright. She knows how the game is played and has played it well for almost 30 years. Even when her characters sometimes infuriate me I have never seen her coast onscreen.

3 hours ago, UYI said:

*hangs head in shame*

I feel like y'all are going to drop me in a vat of blood in some sort of witch coven sacrifice for admitting this. I feel like I crossed a line of some sort, lol. 

I don't know why you always say these things when your opinions are never that uncommon. Nobody is interested in checking you or anyone else for a fairly typical point of view.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, jsbt said:

I have no problem with Laura Wright. She knows how the game is played and has played it well for almost 30 years. Even when her characters sometimes infuriate me I have never seen her coast onscreen.

I don't know why you always say these things when your opinions are never that uncommon. Nobody is interested in checking you or anyone else for a fairly typical point of view.

It's because of my shyness and sensitivity. I was bullied from a fairly young age when I was in school, and because I didn't want to get in trouble, I wouldn't fight back. Unfortunately, now that I'm an adult, I think it did cause me on some level to question my self worth, even when I shouldn't (and it took me FAR too long to realize that's probably where it came from), and especially in situations where there are prevailing popular opinions/people who are more sarcastic and cynical about certain things than I am. (I'm, like, the one person trying not to declare 2020 the worst year ever; I want to take things one day at a time and not have an entire year rule or control my feelings!) I'm still working on not apologizing for certain things; obviously I still need more work. Thank you for saying that; I don't want to come across badly.

(And for what it's worth, I was kind of joking about that post you quoted; given that LW can be annoying to a lot of people, especially recently, and there are those, as stated above, who irrationally hate her regardless of anything she does, but I can see where you're coming from there, too.)

*calms down and breathes*

ANYWAY:

Yes, I do agree with that regarding LW. Is she the best actress? No. Do I sometimes wish that she wouldn't put her foot in her mouth so much in interviews? Hell yes. But she definitely commits (to the point where I think sometimes people have more trouble telling her and Carly apart than any of the other Carly's, in terms of how their personalities can come across), and I do think there is something about her onscreen that I find likable, even if Carly herself so often isn't. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, UYI said:

*hangs head in shame*

UYI @peachmangosteen will tell you herself that her opinions are terrible. Well, except when she likes one of my posts, then they're wonderful of course!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Looks like NuLucas, Matt Trudeau, is not temporary.

I wonder if Ryan Carnes was asked to come back or he was just replaced. They never wanted to commit to Ryan Carnes with storyline or screen time. I always thought they (TPTB) never thought he was leading man material. I also think they didn’t like that he was short, Now, they replaced him with some tall giant who doesn’t resemble him or William DeVry which won’t matter soon anyway. I missed the first few seconds but did they say the part of Lucas is now being played by.....

21 hours ago, ulkis said:

UYI @peachmangosteen will tell you herself that her opinions are terrible. Well, except when she likes one of my posts, then they're wonderful of course!

18 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

@peachmangosteen liked Stacy Morasco, she is bonker balls. (I love you, peach!)

*sniffles* You guys really get me!

Also, @UYI, in terms of being more positive here than the regulars, as you may remember, I was a straight-up Pollyanna about OLTL so I get it lol.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I wonder if Ryan Carnes was asked to come back or he was just replaced. They never wanted to commit to Ryan Carnes with storyline or screen time. I always thought they (TPTB) never thought he was leading man material. I also think they didn’t like that he was short, Now, they replaced him with some tall giant who doesn’t resemble him or William DeVry which won’t matter soon anyway. I missed the first few seconds but did they say the part of Lucas is now being played by.....

No, they didn't. They probably thought we wouldn't notice since Lucas was hardly ever on screen to begin with, was made to hand over the boy he was raising for two years without putting up a fight, wasn't allowed to have an opinion on his heart surgery or Nelle kidnapping him, and sent Sam to have a stern talk with Julian over him marrying Nelle. 

I know a job is a job, but I do feel bad for the actor. Nobody knew who this guy was and he's already been called Fugly. So yeah, FV is an asshole for not even bothering to give him a proper introduction. I was wondering if they had a new doctor and why he was interacting with Sam, Julian and Olivia. It was just the weird and out of nowhere. 

• Love 1

It's just a tacky slap in the face. Like, I won't pretend I have watched much in the last five years. But Ryan Carnes has come a long way as an actor since the early 2000s. He was popular in the role. The show knows how upset a substantial portion of the audience is about the lack of investment in gay storylines and Lucas in particular. Then they recast the dude overnight with no notice. This show has been in ATWT braindeath mode for years, IMO. I don't see how that changes unless Frank gets let go, someone leapfrogs him in terms of creative control or the network decides to finally invest in reinventing its soap for streaming. None of which are happening anytime soon, IMO.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Not gonna happen as long as he continues to bring the show in under budget.

And, the ratings are doing okay. I mean it’s getting the best ratings on ABC for an afternoon soap. Wait! It’s their only soap. Never mind. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, jsbt said:

The show knows how upset a substantial portion of the audience is about the lack of investment in gay storylines and Lucas in particular.

I'm sure I've said this before, but it's crazy that, over ten years since Kyle and Fish on OLTL, things are the same if not worse for gay characters in US soaps.  And they certainly didn't have the benefit of being such a connected legacy character like Lucas.  Who, as I've also said before, as Carly and Sam's brother, would be the hospital stud a la Patrick or Griffin if he was straight.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I'm sure I've said this before, but it's crazy that, over ten years since Kyle and Fish on OLTL, things are the same if not worse for gay characters in US soaps.  And they certainly didn't have the benefit of being such a connected legacy character like Lucas.  Who, as I've also said before, as Carly and Sam's brother, would be the hospital stud a la Patrick or Griffin if he was straight.

It's crazy and sad that there's not any gay characters in any stories on the U.S. soaps.

Meanwhile over on hollyoaks there LGBT characters are usually the ones that get the meatiest and most dramtic storylines.

11 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

It's just insane. Try to imagine any straight legacy character who had his beloved child ripped from his arms, and his husband sent to jail -- and then he just falls off the screen. Lucas should be having a juicy downward spiral story going on right now. 

• Love 9