Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

(edited)

The Robin-stealing — I was very much not liked for that. Viewers were like, “Give her back,” but by the end, Robin’s like, “Naw, I’m not going to stay home, because I had a good time.”

...I'm not getting the outrage.  Kathleen Gati is clearly making a joke with regards to viewers both responding to the character while hating that she was keeping Robin from her family.

Edited by TeeVee329
(edited)

I think Nancy is talking in terms of numbers.  Quality wise the show is in the shitter, but at the same time it just did its best May Sweeps numbers in seven years.  

If current trends continue, I wouldnt be surprised if it overtakes Y&R in total numbers by this time next year.  

GH has only been renewed to Sep 2015 and word on the street is that Ben Sherwood is going to cancel it, but it's interesting to note that the new View co-hosts are only being offered 1 year contracts.  So I think it and GH are going to be fighting for the same slot over the next year.

Additionally,  GMA just hired Kate's EP to serve as co-EP for the 8am hour so its pretty clear that shows third hour is coming.  GH or View will be cancelled to make room.

Edited by Tiger
(edited)

I would like to see that if it can be found online.

I'm pretty sure Julian is still eventual dogmeat in RC's eyes, but it is nice to see something a little more interesting for Nancy Lee Grahn, even if I think Alexis is being written as a fool. There could be more to the couple with the right writing.

Not a link to the article but a picture of at least part of it.  https://twitter.com/Loistroutman/status/486564992481644544/photo/1

It will probably be online within a day or so.

Edited by TarHeelTeacher
(edited)

http://soapcentral.com/days/news/2014/0709-sweeney.php

Alison Sweeney's journey on Days of our Lives may be coming to an end, but the actress is about to begin a new journey... with General Hospital.
Alison Sweeney (Sami Brady) shocked fans earlier this year by announcing her exit from Days of our Lives, but the actress has another surprise: she's headed to another soap opera.

Sweeney is joining ABC's General Hospital -- but she will not be appearing on-screen. Sweeney has been tapped for a behind-the-camera role as director.

"Super psyched," Sweeney shared on Twitter. "Working on the script right now!"

Sweeney had previously shadowed GH executive producer Frank Valentini and his team, and when the opportunity arose to bring the actress into the fold, Valentini reached out.

"She's sort of paid her dues and spent some time learning the show," Valentini told Soap Opera Digest. "I asked her if she was available and she said yes."

A fixture on NBC's Days of our Lives since her first appearance in January 1993, Sweeney revealed in January 2014 that she had made the decision to leave the show. The reason, according to Sweeney, is that she wanted to spend more time with her family.

For the past seven years, Sweeney has been pulling double duty on DAYS and as host of the NBC reality weight loss show The Biggest Loser.

The Hallmark Channel has also announced the Sweeney will serve as executive producer and star in the network's original movie Radio Hype, a film about a radio host who moves to Chicago for work and love -- and then her life takes a big turn.

In addition to her television work, Sweeney is also an author. Her latest book, her fourth overall and second work of fiction, is called Scared Scriptless, a story about a script supervisor on a popular television show. Scared Scriptless is available now from booksellers.

Sweeney taped her final Days of our Lives scenes in May, but due to Days of our Lives' production schedule, she is expected to continue airing well into the fall.

ABC has not yet commented officially on Sweeney's stint as director.

if you do not know anything about Ali

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0842081/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Michelle Stafford is very excited about working with Ali

michelle stafford @TheRealStafford  ·  18h

I could not be MORE EXCITED about being directed by my friend @Ali_Sweeney !!! #amazing #funtocome #GH

They are good friends who have known each other since 1994 when Michelle started on Y & R and meet Ali through their mutual friend Lauralee Bell.

2002 photo shoot for SOD

msandas4_zpsc52dd51f.jpg
msandas_zps2236671a.jpg

msandas3_zpsd27cc41b.jpg

and this photo from the Emmy Awards in 2008

msandas5_zps62813ecd.jpg

Edited by stacey
Moved to Media topic

"She's sort of paid her dues and spent some time learning the show," Valentini told Soap Opera Digest. "I asked her if she was available and she said yes."

Then what the hell has Kmc done, twiddled her fingers?  She fucking grew up on the GH set!  This is just another "get" for Frank, pure and simple.

• Love 5
(edited)

This is just another "get" for Frank, pure and simple.

Why would this be considered a "get"? She isn't going to be on screen and I doubt most people will even know she's directing unless they read soap blogs or pay attention to the credits. It might stroke Ron and Frank's egos to get a popular actress on their show but I doubt it will affect the ratings.

Edited by LeftPhalange
(edited)

Then what the hell has Kmc done, twiddled her fingers? She fucking grew up on the GH set! This is just another "get" for Frank, pure and simple.

THIS. It is all about the GET. KMc been a part of the fabric of this show for 30 fucking years. She gone to school to direct. She's direct short films & a show for Disney or ABC family. She's part of The DISNEY director's program. She's shadowed on Grey's, Pretty Little Liars, Covert Affairs, etc.

It's pure BS.

ETA:

LeftPhalange, I agree with you however I don't see it as that type of "get". I see this as more of an executive "get". I one up manship type thing. IMO, they would go BSC, if JFP got KMc to direct some episodes of Y&R.

Edited by BestestAuntEver
  • Love 3

ETA:

LeftPhalange, I agree with you however I don't see it as that type of "get". I see this as more of an executive "get". I one up manship type thing. IMO, they would go BSC, if JFP got KMc to direct some episodes of Y&R.

Exactly.  It's more of the name and an FU to another show.  And she used the same excuse to leave DAYS that SBu used to get out of GH:  spend more time with family.  Yet they turn around in a few months and are on another set.

I don't understand why the actors would say they want to spend more time with their family.  In the case of Steve Burton and Allison Sweeney they were playing the same characters for over 20 years.  All they have to say is they are ready for something new and that's that. 

I view it as a get too.  It also does seem like a big old FU to Kim Mc. 

• Love 2

Then what the hell has Kmc done, twiddled her fingers?  She fucking grew up on the GH set

Exactly! She asked to direct GH and was told "NO." But Alison Sweeney strolls in and they welcome her with open arms? No it won't make a dent in the ratings, and very few people will even notice her name in the opening credits. But it's still a slap in the face to KmC...

• Love 3
(edited)

Grey's is the # 4 show on television in the key sales demo and Shake it Up was one of Disney's top shows and one of the biggest shows on cable.  

KMc was good enough to shadow on the former and actually direct the latter, but she's not good enough to direct an episode of GH?!?  

*Grey's is behind only Big Bang Theory, ModFam, and Scandal.  

Edited by Tiger

I think they are looking for someone "outside" of the show, someone with a fresh look and feel for the show. 

KMc has OTHER obligations, hell I don't even want her character back on my screen, why would I want her to "direct".

Ali will be great!  she has been in the business and working non stop in the business since 1993.  She is not just an actor, she is writer, she got her business degree from UCLA while still working on DOOL, she is a mother and a wife of a cop. She will not be "directing" EVERY show! and she will not be on screen!

(edited)

I think they are looking for someone "outside" of the show, someone with a fresh look and feel for the show. 

KMc has OTHER obligations, hell I don't even want her character back on my screen, why would I want her to "direct".

You do realize, that Robin is the character on this show, and that it is Kimberly, the person, and not Robin, the character, who would have directed an episode? Just like it's Allison, not Sammy, who will be directing.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4
(edited)

Ali will be great!  she has been in the business and working non stop in the business since 1993.  She is not just an actor, she is writer, she got her business degree from UCLA while still working on DOOL, she is a mother and a wife of a cop. She will not be "directing" EVERY show! and she will not be on screen!

And KMc wouldn't be directing every episode either. It isn't unusually for current cast members of shows to eventually direct an episode. It isn't so much that Allison is directing, it is they turned down their own long time cast member when she requested to do the same. 

I don't know what fresh perspective that Allison Sweeney could offer that KMc couldn't since most of their professional experience derives from soaps . I would prefer the new director to be familiar with this show since part of the show's problem is that it can't keep track of its own history, unless AS is some sort of GH super fan. 

This is a huge slap in the face to a long time cast member and if I was KMc I would be deeply insulted. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 1
(edited)

Riiiight, because the directing of the show is the big problem.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 4
(edited)

Just to play devil's advocate - has anyone considered the possibility that KMc didn't WANT to direct at "General Hospital"?  I mean, she's still in that directing program, right, it's not over?  And maybe she's got other projects.

That said, I do think Frank trumpted the hiring of Sweeney as a get, not that that takes anything away from Sweeney herself.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2
(edited)

Just to play devil's advocate - has anyone considered the possibility that KMc didn't WANT to direct at "General Hospital"?  I mean, she's still in that directing program, right, it's not over?  And maybe she's got other projects.

That said, I do think Frank trumpted the hiring of Sweeney as a get, not that that takes anything away from Sweeney herself.

I agree. If she is in a directing program with Disney maybe they see her potential and have other(read bigger) plans for her, or she has them for herself.

Seems logical if she was unhappy with GH she wouldn't agree to come back. Since she is going to be on screen as Robin she can't be that upset with them.

Edited by Cattitude
  • Love 1
(edited)

She is part of the Disney/ABC- Directors Guild of America (DGA) Directing Fellowship Program. They select around 14 individuals every 2 years to participate in this 2 year program. She is a participant in the 2012-2014 Fellowship Program.

I don't believe Kim wanted to direct GH long term. I took it that she wanted the opportunity to direct some episodes & was turned down.

Heh, Arstda, the last set she posted about was Pretty Little Liars. ITA, with dubbel zout, that it was for the experience.

At this point, I'm like what ever. Karma is a bitch. And it's looking at you, Frank & Ron.

(edited)

I thought (but could be wrong)  kmC said in a print interview that she asked FV if she could direct and was told no. She has been pretty clear that he's a huge supporter of hers, and in fact helped her get the job at Grey's. I just can't help but wonder why, if she's good enough to direct prime time, he doesn't want her at GH?

Edited by Sake614
  • Love 2

KmC has always been gracious, even while warning fans they wouldn't like her exit story. So it doesn't surprise me that she isn't joining the "FU Frank" brigade. But that doesn't mean we can't be offended on her behalf :)

• Love 3

I thought (but could be wrong)  kmC said in a print interview that she asked FV if she could direct and was told no. She has been pretty clear that he's a huge supporter of hers, and in fact helped her get the job at Grey's. I just can't help but wonder why, if she's good enough to direct prime time, he doesn't want her at GH?

Since they are in the business and we are not, it may be that his IS looking out for her not having her direct a soap. In the business directing a soap may not be seen as a kudos at all. Many actors with bigger aspirations won't take soap jobs b/c of the stigma. Very well could be the same for directing.

like KMc said, she has other projects going at the moment, and Ali was available.  Why not allow Ali to learn from the best!

Ali will be just one of many behind the scenes crew members!  multiple directors working with different storylines.

List of General Hospital crew
Producers: Frank Valentini (executive producer), Mercer Barrows, Michelle Henry, Mary-Kelly Weir
Directing team: Scott McKinsey, Matthew Diamond, Craig McManus, William Ludel, Phideaux Xavier, Penny Pengra, Larry Carpenter, Christine Magarian, Ronald C. Cates, Peter Fillmore, Dave MacLeod
Head writer: Ron Carlivati
Associate head writer: Elizabeth Korte
Breakdown writers: Chris Van Etten, Anna Theresa Cascio, Daniel James O'Connor, Katherine Schock
Script writers: Elizabeth Page, Scott Sickles, Kate Hall, Suzanne Flynn, Elizabeth Korte
Casting director: Mark Teschner

From what I have read on twitter, Ali will be working a lot with Michelle Stafford's  "Nina" storyline" hence Michelle's post on twitter last night

That review mentions pretty much every problem I have with the show. Most of her alternative stories would require Ron to write people with some nuance and care, something he seems completely unwilling to do. He wants plot points, not actual characters, so I think we're stuck with the crap onscreen. It will be an anomaly if a decent story slips through.

• Love 1

What a great article! Completely sums up my feelings about the show these days. More often than not, I don't even pay full attention when I watch.

Someone should tweet Ron that link. I'd love to hear his reply ;)

• Love 1

I can now see why Frank doesn't rein Re-Ron in. He is exactly the same .I also read the article where KIM asked  to direct, and was told no. This was a big slap in the face to KIm,  just like the demonizing of her and Sean Kanan  because they didn't toe the line. So Allison has soooo much more experience on soaps than KIm. KIm is in the directors program, She has been on the show much younger than AS. She is a fan favorite and no matter what Re-Ron writes its him I can't stand not KIM ! I hear Finola Hughes also wants to direct, and has done a movie, these two jerks, who are ruining the show now, film in such a way as to have the actors off screen for months, and can't give a little to the actors the fans like. Well I guess now we know who let Tristan Rogers go, He didn't care. he spends money on all the actors from OTHER soaps and lets the ones we like from here get away.FrankenRon two peas in the same pod. Re-Ron writes , if you can even call it that for whomever frank sees fit to hire. AS wants to spend more time with her family ? I actually started watching days again now that her and EJ are going. That was one horrible couple, and I like Daniel Cosgrove. brought on to be with Hope . Loved him on GL with Emme Ryland.

Since when is Liz Korte associate HW? Was that always a thing?

I think since FV & Ron took over.  But I could be wrong, she could have held the title during Wolfe's tenure, or even Guza's.

In other news, TC is returning to work next week. I saw the SOD post titled "Castillo returns to GH" and honestly had no clue who it was. I had to click on the article to read the full name and figure it out. Out of sight, out of mind I guess...

(edited)

I can now see why Frank doesn't rein Re-Ron in. He is exactly the same

They are both terrible IMO.

Edited by ch1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Congrats to the Real Ron Carlivati because NotRonald Carlivati twitter has slowed down on insulting GH on the twitter feed...because she? has stopped watching General Hospital and is almost exclusively watching Days of our Lives. Way to "save" GH Ron!

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 1

How was their wine?  

The GSM had a great nose and was a win for me. The others were good, but not notable. Lovely tasting room with a gallery next door full of creepy, and therefore awesome to me, horse art.

(edited)

MB is an actual guest on ESPN's First Take today. He's talking about GH & Football. They even run a scene. How dare he like my 49ers!!!

The speech pattern & tics are all MB. He couldn't even read from a script.

Stephen A. Smith is a true Sonny Fan.