Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

At first I thought she was doing this for attention, but then it quickly started freefalling down hill.

Oh, I think she did start off by doing it for attention. She "@"-ed Shonda Rhimes about it.  She just didn't think beyond that. 

Someone's going to have to explain it to WdV, in really short words, why his champion and screen partner is in a whole lotta trouble right now.

Nancy's still at it this morning, whining about why people aren't accepting her apology.  She just needs to take a twitter break right now.

And saying that a black female winner should have had someone else write her speech? Beyond all things that are condescending and annoying about that, does the woman not know that Hattie McDaniel -- the first African American to win an academy award for acting -- wasn't allowed by the studio to write her own speech?  Even in Hollywood, they segregated her from the rest of the cast and made her sit at a table in the back while the rest of the cast sat up front. And they didn't "trust" what she would say should she win, so she was given a speech to read. She even had to say that she hoped she was a credit to her race:

https://youtu.be/e7t4pTNZshA

So, STFU, Nancy. Or as people are saying on twitter, stay in your lane. Like any black actress was considered for Julia Wainright, Alexis Cassadine, or even though bit parts you played on Murder, She Wrote or Little House on Prairie. That's the point.

• Love 17

I had a long drawn out post ready to go but I don't want to come off as a black bigot, so whatevs.  GH is coming off my DVR and I have half of a mind to demand that sponsors pull out.  Hey, if the nurses can do it to the View....

• Love 1

How hard is it to simply tweet "I apologize for my earlier remarks. I was trying to be witty but wildly missed the mark and landed on offensive instead. I promise to do better in the future" and then log the hell off and go to bed? 

But, no, go with staying up all night replying to everyone who tweets to you.  Don't worry, you'll totally stay mentally sharp as the hours of no sleep go on, and you won't remotely risk saying something even more offensive in your sleep deprived state.  

• Love 15

Nancy is, not very wisely, trying to play the victim card too.  "Why's everyone so mean on twitter?" is not a way out of it. You've told your followers to sic people, Nancy. Usually they've been trolls, and that's the nature of twitter. Things snowball to an avalanche very quickly.  And the variation of "my best friend is black" with the "I support your causes and the last two Democratic presidents" is only going to fuel the fire. Usually  the smartest way out of it is a succinct, genuine apology that recognizes what has ticked people off, and then shut up for awhile. A long while.

Twitter's taken down Todd Akin. It's taken down the woman who joked about being white and not getting AIDS. It's not a forum for the faint of heart if you're going to say controversial things like she is.

Shonda Rhimes may barely notice or care. Just shake her head and dismiss it, possibly. But if she wanted to make an issue of one ABC employee belittling another ABC employee on social media for her remarks upon receiving the pinnacle award of the industry, she could press it if she wanted.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 5

She stopped tweeting a few hours ago, but she's show up in my national trends right now.  People must be waking up to it and reading it.

United States Trends · Change

#PeaceDay
 Promoted by World Food Programme
#MondayMorning
#biweek
#TGIM
#MeatlessMonday
#jhudash
#WorldGratitudeDay
#nancyleegrahn
#CelebrateMonday
#WorldAlzheimersDay
#MusicMondays

Nancy Lee Grahn also apparently thinks the Underground Railroad was an actual underground railroad.  She never learns when to stop tweeting, put down the wine, and go to bed.  

Nancy Lee Grahn ‏@NancyLeeGrahn  3h3 hours ago Los Angeles, CA
@xxxxx and i heard harriet yTubman and I thought Its a fucking emmy for gods sake. She wasnt digging thru a tunnel

• Love 4

I don't think Nancy understands she is attempting to go up against black twitter. Black twitter can take this fu key in shifts. It looks like the west coast tore into her last night and the east coast woke up and started in. They have meme and videos bow associated with her stupidity.

E Online has a linked article, other online sites are picking up. She definitely should have apologized and taken her ass to bed.

I guess she learned her twitter followers can't fight black twitter.

I'm so glad I dropped this shitfest.

Edited by BestestAuntEver
  • Love 3

NLG needs a long Twitter break. She always thinks she's being provocative but in reality she is just being stupid. I like her on GH and I like Alexis but she needs to know she doesn't know everything or speaks for all of woman kind. That said, I'm not really sure the higher ups could do anything to her. It's her opinion but she she probably should have kept it to herself. Also, it ain't great ABC synergy going after your networks biggest star and show. A major fail.

• Love 1

Sad that this is so much more interesting than the show. A relevant issue in today's world with a player we care about (whether we like her or not; she has a long history with the show), and keeping us on the edge of our seats, can't wait to see what happens next, sparking discussion and real talk and emotion. Soaps need to take note!

• Love 1

Yeah, she just continued to dig a deeper hole for herself. Apologize and shut the fuck up, period. I think it was her continuing to tweet dumber & dumber shit, and then pull a pity party out her ass that really set Black twitter off.

Oh, Frank, gather your children man!

• Love 4

I was just coming on here to post about NLG. Damn, woman, quit while you're behind! Black, white, green or purple, Viola Davis is 1000 times the actor you are, and deserves to be recognized for her accomplishments.

• Love 17

I'm reading another poster summing up some of her tweets

I'm reading her tweets. She went on all night. literally all night defending herself, telling people they have to have compassion for her because she grew up in 50s and never saw color. Then when someone called her on that and was like you lived right next to a club that wouldn't let black people in. She went all and my family did everything to try to shut it down. Then she told someone to F off they blocked. 

Awkward.

I used to think NLG was fairly satisfied with being on soaps. I remember one story she told about being at a salon and overhearing a fairly well known actress in primetime who was looking for work and she said something on the phone about how she would have to try soaps soon, and Nancy said she sat there listening feeling fairly smug because she herself was on a soap opera and didn't have to audition every couple of years for a new part. But I suppose she has more than a touch of Tony Geary syndrome.

This was a response to another poster from her:

I understand. I commented about a very rich A list actress winning a trophy, To receive this vitriol is unwarrented

Maybe Kelly Thiebaud can make her a mini primetime emmy?

[Kale Browne voiceover]The role of 'Alexis Davis' will now be played by Kassie de Paiva [/Kale Browne voiceover].

"Today, the role of Alexis Davis will be played by Michael Easton"

Alexis (in Michael Easton's voice): Take me up against this wall, Julian!

And seriously, an ABC Daytime star is shitting on an ABC Primetime star and...nothing?  Say it with me, ABC - Pub.  Li.  Cist.

• Love 19

"Today, the role of Alexis Davis will be played by Michael Easton"

Alexis (in Michael Easton's voice): Take me up against this wall, Julian!

And seriously, an ABC Daytime star is shitting on an ABC Primetime star and...nothing?  Say it with me, ABC - Pub.  Li.  Cist.

I guess they could always get Susan Diol, who temped as Alexis in the early 2000s (Jill LOVED using temps when she could, didn't she?).

I do find it strange that NLG seems to have always stuck behind JFP, given the latter's misogyny towards her own gender. I know she hired her for Santa Barbara way back when, but still.

Someone on another board pointed out that none of her costars have defended her on Twitter, LOL.

Edited by UYI

You know Taylor Swift stepped into a racial landmine on Twitter and was smart enough (or her publicists were smart enough) to apologize and that was the end of it.  NLG should take the page out of a girl half her age book.

And seriously - if she was drinking.  Before indulging - have someone put all social media devices behind lock and key. 

• Love 1

You know Taylor Swift stepped into a racial landmine on Twitter and was smart enough (or her publicists were smart enough) to apologize and that was the end of it.  NLG should take the page out of a girl half her age book.

And seriously - if she was drinking.  Before indulging - have someone put all social media devices behind lock and key. 

This. I'm still not completely convinced that TS isn't using feminism as a shield against criticism about her work (and I say this who someone who actually likes a lot of her songs), but you're right.

And I say this as a PROUD feminist--a 26 year old, blonde-haired blue-eyed female feminist--but I can see NLG may just now be understanding the idea of intersectional feminism. It's one thing for a younger woman like me to just become aware of it more recently, but I can see legions of women of a certain age who are finally beginning to grasp it, too. It wouldn't surprise me if that's the case with NLG here, too.

But this is a HUGE mess she's gotten herself into. And a BAD way to be educated about this subject, too.

• Love 5

In other news, Despair in the Afternoon drags last week's episodes of "Generally Sonny" for filth in a delightful way:

Wow.  Love really IS never having to say you're sorry. 

Sonny does ruin everything.  That cannot be said enough.

• Love 2

VA and BS both tweeted out congratulations to Viola Davis. Some are wondering if they are intentionally subtweeting/throwing shade at NLG by doing that.

Finola congratulated Viola last night, and now she's doubling down this morning:

Total best moments IMO from #emmys Obvi @violadavis history making, beautiful speech. #francesmcdormand complete IGNF's & @rickygervais

P.S. Can anyone explain to me like I'm Morgan how to embed a tweet?

Edited by Francie
  • Love 1

I don't think she comes back from this.  Quite frankly, I'm not so sure that she should.  Her total lack of understanding about what she wrote, the insensitivity, and the ignorance of historical context regarding the Viola Davis win is astounding.  I looked at the tweets and it never stopped being about her, even in apology.  And her attempts at praising Ms. Davis seemed more desperate than genuine. 

I say this as someone who likes the character of Alexis.

A Google news search just showed 792 articles on Nancy Lee Grahn all within the last 12 hours.  I only read a couple; the levels of second hand embarrassment were making my stomach hurt.

And having too much to drink last night, not meaning any harm, etc., just isn't going to cut it in the cold light of day.

Edited by amaranta
  • Love 11

Who is VA and BS? Sorry, I don't regularly post on the GH board, but came here when I saw the articles about Nancy Lee Grahn's tweets about Viola Davis.

Vinessa Antoine (Jordan) and Brytni Sarpy (Valerie). Sorry about that!

Edited by UYI

Nancy's foolishness is the first result I get on Google when I search "Viola Davis". She has made TheWrap and People. This is very bad for her.

Those comments she made after I (finally) went to bed are even worse. Jesus, woman, shut up! Even Patrick Mulcahey, who has known her decades, is saying she fucked up. This is painful to watch, but given her comments, not that painful.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3
the meaness of these ppl tonight. I feel betrayed by ppl I would've marched for.

I understand. I commented about a very rich A list actress winning a trophy, To receive this vitriol is unwarrented

I honestly didnt even care that much I was cooking and heard it and went oh lord ur a great actress just accept it and I heard

and i heard harriet yTubman and I thought Its a fucking emmy for gods sake. She wasnt digging thru a tunnel

OK but to me it seemed over dramatic. It was an acting award. i never expected every black twitterer to attack and have

These are awful. At this rate Nancy is going to have to become Dobson again and move to Canada.

• Love 9

This story made the Daily Fail, er, Mail too. So all the Brits who love reading their trashy gossip get to learn about this, too!

(Yes, I'll read it sometimes, too. But I'm an American who would deny EVER knowing what DM even is, so...yeah. :P)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3243318/Soap-star-attacked-Viola-Davis-saying-actress-never-discriminated-against-following-historic-Emmy-win-apologizes-called-white-privilege.html

• Love 1

"These people", "THESE PEOPLE"!! "These people she would've marched for". Nobody is asking her ass to do anything.

Nice to know, we're I stand with this $##^!! $$@!## !##*#! $@!#!×!

All I know is TPTB better respond. They let the view shit slide and it backfired. They had several advertisers pause their sponsorship.

• Love 8

VA and BS both tweeted out congratulations to Viola Davis. Some are wondering if they are intentionally subtweeting/throwing shade at NLG by doing that.

Maybe? But they probably would have done that anyway.

P.S. Can anyone explain to me like I'm Morgan how to embed a tweet?

Maybe you can't after all? I just assumed you could, but maybe not.

"These people", "THESE PEOPLE"!! "These people she would've marched for". Nobody is asking her ass to do anything.

Nice to know, we're I stand with this $##^!! $$@!## !##*#! $@!#!×!

All I know is TPTB better respond. They let the view shit slide and it backfired. They had several advertisers pause their sponsorship.

Yeah, especially with GH in the state its in right now. I mean, obviously that seems like small potatoes compared to what Nancy was saying last night, but talk about the WORST kind of publicity to get GH in the mainstream media right now, especially with the ratings where they are.

Maybe? But they probably would have done that anyway.

Maybe you can't after all? I just assumed you could, but maybe not.

True, but Nancy's comments could have compelled them to speak out even more.

I think they'll just chalk it up to Nancy being Nzncy. If they didn't publicly respond to Bryan, they won't do it with Nancy. They'll handle it internally, she'll get a reprimand and be told to stay off all social media until this cools down.

ETA...or maybe not since its getting so much attention.

Edited by Sake614

No, this is different. This is major media covering her taking shots at Shonda Rhimes and the first black Lead Actress in TV history, both of whom work for the network.

If it was up to just Frank, he might be delusional enough at this point to try to capitalize on it and start tweeting shit like "exciting days ahead for Alexis this week on GENERAL HOSPITAL!" like he did with Bryan Craig. But Bryan's nonsense never made it out of soap fandom, and I don't know if even Frank is that bullheaded. Either way, no, this will not end here.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 14

No, this is different. This is major media covering her taking shots at Shonda Rhimes and the first black Lead Actress in TV history, both of whom work for the network.

If it was up to just Frank, he might be delusional enough at this point to try to capitalize on it and start tweeting shit like "exciting days ahead for Alexis this week on GENERAL HOSPITAL!" like he did with Bryan Craig. But Bryan's nonsense never made it out of soap fandom, and I don't know if even Frank is that bullheaded. Either way, no, this will not end here.

And it shouldn't, imo.

• Love 8

She's made The Hollywood Reporter.

Black Twitter's reaction images to her in her trending tag are hilarious.

Another thing worth mentioning, albeit only a side issue - I personally feel Frank is slipping. If this was two or three years ago and the show wasn't in such bad shape, I don't think he would come off as desperate to bury the issue with Bryan Craig under happy talk. He did that shit at OLTL too when it was in real bad condition, before Ron became HW. If you asked him, nothing was ever wrong and there were no problems. if this was a couple years ago when GH was doing better, I think he would've done what he usually does - swiftly silenced Bryan and left it at that, instead of trying to work it. My utterly uninformed take is that he's getting desperate and it shows.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 2

She's made The Hollywood Reporter.

Black Twitter's reaction images to her in her trending tag are hilarious.

Another thing worth mentioning, albeit only a side issue - I personally feel Frank is slipping. If this was two or three years ago and the show wasn't in such bad shape, I don't think he would come off as desperate to bury the issue with Bryan Craig under happy talk. He did that shit at OLTL too when it was in real bad condition, before Ron became HW. If you asked him, nothing was ever wrong and there were no problems. if this was a couple years ago when GH was doing better, I think he would've done what he usually does - swiftly silenced Bryan and left it at that, instead of trying to work it. My utterly uninformed take is that he's getting desperate and it shows.

Frank is a walking illustration of the joke about two campers out in the woods. Suddenly, a bear comes upon them.  One of the campers bends over to tie his shoes tighter.

"You can't outrun a bear!" his friend says.

"I don't have to outrun the bear. I just have to outrun you."

Frank has outrun Ron. But he knows he's the only camper left between him and a hungry bear.