Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

That's understandable, but omg re: Nina and Franco.

Re: RP, I think it says a lot honestly that she said her fave co-star was Bradford (or that she said he was the most comfortable to work with, what have you) and also at FCW she didn't have an event with him but with BB and BA. I think as a person she really likes RP, as an acting partner, she wouldn't mind a change. Just my pure speculation, mind you.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 6

I've gotten the feeling at times that the actors who were hired during the Guza era are kind of like a clique, and so it's generally hard for anyone who was hired after he was gone to fit in at the show. Not they necessarily don't like them,  but it's clear that the Guza era actors like working with each other best.

• Love 1

That's understandable, but omg re: Nina and Franco.

Re: RP, I think it says a lot honestly that she said her fave co-star was Bradford (or that she said he was thecmost comfortable to work with, what have you) and also at FCW she didn't have an event with him but with BB and BA. I think as a person she really likes RP, as an acting partner, she wouldn't mind a change. Just my pure speculation, mind you.

It saddens me, it annoys me, that kind it even disgusts me, but I kind of understand why the other actors like Franco and Nina. I think they're mainly getting their opinions from watching in the dressing rooms the feed, and Michelle and Roger come across like class clown to entertain them. It's about the actors and their tics and their "unusual" choices. Kirsten isn't thinking about how they resonate as long-term characters, she's just amused. Finola said something along the same lines about the live show. That she couldn't hardly keep herself from laughing at them. I don't judge her kindly for holding that opinion. They are in this bubble where they refuse to see the show for what it is.

I'm getting the feeling that the difference between Frank's vision and Ron's vision, is that Ron had one, bad as it was. Don't get me wrong, Ron's vision was driving the show to its death. But Frank's complete lack of vision, beyond showcasing the actors he likes, is killing it too. It's just a difference of whether the death is going to be by electrocution or malnutrition.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 10

I'll just say that her saying Franco and Nina are her favorite couple on the show was .... interesting, to say the least.

I can kind of understand it, partly because of what Francie stated, but also I don't think they have as strong of feelings about characters that we do. We have our favorites, and we have our hated. We're very passionate about what we feel, whereas the actors just come in and do their jobs. They might feel strongly about their own characters, but I don't think they mind the others nearly as much as we do. In addition, the fact that Ron simply can't write romance or any decent couples really narrows the playing field so there isn't that much to choose from.

• Love 6

I can kind of understand it, partly because of what Francie stated, but also I don't think they have as strong of feelings about characters that we do. We have our favorites, and we have our hated. We're very passionate about what we feel, whereas the actors just come in and do their jobs. They might feel strongly about their own characters, but I don't think they mind the others nearly as much as we do. In addition, the fact that Ron simply can't write romance or any decent couples really narrows the playing field so there isn't that much to choose from.

I totally agree.  And I get the cast wanting to have a rah! rah! attitude and trying to boost morale among themselves and the audience.

The show just hit record scary lows, though, and these actors' jobs -- all of them -- are on the line if there's a cancellation. They're all in a boat (not the barge) in ankle-deep water and not one of them says, "Hey, maybe we should tell those two over there who are pounding holes in the boat to stop!"

It looks like each and every one of them is putting the blame for this summer's catastrophic ratings drop solely on Ron Carlivati.  With him gone, everything is supposedly going to be better. Yet, I see no indications of any of the absolutely, positively necessary changes.  The writers have done "what we're going to do!" interviews and said jack shit.

Wait, I take that back.  They said two or three things that were wholly discouraging.  We're going to see Franco and Nina's humanity. And Sonny and the Corninthi are going to be at the forefront. 

I give up.

• Love 3

I liked their friendship and I don't really enjoy many of Maxie's scene partners these days - between NuLu, Plywood and Dollar Store, she's kind of an automatic FF and I used to watch her even when she and Spin were at their worst

• Love 1

The show just hit record scary lows, though, and these actors' jobs -- all of them -- are on the line if there's a cancellation. They're all in a boat (not the barge) in ankle-deep water and not one of them says, "Hey, maybe we should tell those two over there who are pounding holes in the boat to stop!"

Has this ever happened with a show before even when they were in dire inevitability of being canceled? Did it happen with AW, SB, ATWT, GL, AMC, OLTL? GH is not the only soap to ever encounter low ratings. I don't think any of them are going to speak out, and I wouldn't expect them to. You don't bite the hand that feeds you, and besides TG already made his opinion known, as did MB. I would never imagine a woman would do it, especially someone that is on the younger side like KSt. You might get some saying things down the road, but it doesn't even faze me that nobody is speaking out.

• Love 2

Has this ever happened with a show before even when they were in dire inevitability of being canceled? Did it happen with AW, SB, ATWT, GL, AMC, OLTL? GH is not the only soap to ever encounter low ratings. I don't think any of them are going to speak out, and I wouldn't expect them to. You don't bite the hand that feeds you, and besides TG already made his opinion known, as did MB. I would never imagine a woman would do it, especially someone that is on the younger side like KSt. You might get some saying things down the road, but it doesn't even faze me that nobody is speaking out.

Yeah, I'm mixing up my thoughts a bit. I wouldn't expect any actor to openly criticize their co-stars.  That wasn't what was supposed to seem like my point -- that wasn't my point, I mean, but I get that's what I basically wrote.

I meant that you'd think they'd internally recognize the problems, and that would then mean that KSt would not praise them in public. Not even add that one little morsel of support.

I'm just frustrated because I think KSt was being genuine.  Serial Killer and We Don't (-2) Care is her favorite couple, because -- as you said -- the pickings are slim and, to some of the fans, they are funny when all the context is stripped away. And that's what I don't get, fully.  Making two unlikable, unrootable hams the centerpiece of your show is killing it. Or at least killing it a little faster than it was already dying. So, why do anything that supports that. But I get that they don't have that perception.

GH isn't the only soap to have low ratings, but Days' and its current 18-49 demos are well below AMC's, Passion's, and OLTL's demos during their last week.  I saw the numbers somewhere and it was staggering. Like they were more than twice the amount that they currently are.  Or were when GH hit rock bottom, at least.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 1

Well, to be fair, AW & SB were both cancelled in 1999, WAY before social media was around, so unless they were being asked certain questions by SOD, the opportunity wouldn't have been presented to them to do that (and SB being a cult hit with higher ratings overseas than in the US lessened that opportunity even more*). Hell, even GL wouldn't have much of an opportunity for that, as it went off the air in 2009, the year that Twitter really began to take off.

*Not only that, but when AW was cancelled for Passions, I think SB assumed it was safe, only to get cancelled itself later that year. Hell, AW may have thought it was still safe too to a point, given how many soaps were still on back then (and the fact that it was the first long running soap to be cancelled since SFT in 1986--both ran for 35 years--so I think that cancellation upped the shock factor).

Edited by UYI

Well, to be fair, AW & SB were both cancelled in 1999, WAY before social media was around, so unless they were being asked certain questions by SOD, the opportunity wouldn't have been presented to them to do that (and SB being a cult hit with higher ratings overseas than in the US lessened that opportunity even more*). Hell, even GL wouldn't have much of an opportunity for that, as it went off the air in 2009, the year that Twitter really began to take off.

*Not only that, but when AW was cancelled for Passions, I think SB assumed it was safe, only to get cancelled itself later that year. Hell, AW may have thought it was still safe too to a point, given how many soaps were still on back then (and the fact that it was the first long running soap to be cancelled since SFT in 1986--both ran for 35 years--so I think that cancellation upped the shock factor).

Are you talking about Santa Barbara? That was cancelled in 1993, wasn't it?

Are you talking about Santa Barbara? That was cancelled in 1993, wasn't it?

Nope, Sunset Beach. Both of them are similar, though--relatively short-lived NBC daytime soaps with the same initials that were bigger overseas than in the US.

I don't blame Kirsten Storms for having her opinion, and I don't fault the actors for enjoying each other's company. The experience of working on the show is often very different than ours as spectators. I don't judge anyone there for admiring other performers, whether it's Kirsten or Finola or anyone else. I get why watching them would be fun for them BTS. But that doesn't mean Franco, Nina, etc. are not cancers on the show that must be eliminated immediately.

• Love 13

Perhaps they've all convinced themselves they're working on a brilliant parody of a soap, like Soap used to be in the 70s?

I dunno.  I don't judge any of them for being complimentary of each other and having a sunny attitude about it when they talk to the public.  I mean, it's all bullshit, but you don't insult your employer or your product publicly.  You just don't.  

I doubt they actually try to keep up with what the story is supposed to be, though.  They can't possibly think any of this makes any fucking sense.   

• Love 2

So should I be nervous that there's a new opening and I haven't spotted Genie Francis?  I'm still in for Finola, Tracy and Genie's return as a regular.  Does anyone know when she's coming back?

I found myself wondering what Genie and Rick Hearst would be like onscreen together.  I know, it's a weird pairing, but I'd like to see how that would play out and if they have any chemistry.

Exactly.  Poor Bobbie will probably have to listen to Carly talk about how awesome Sonny is, bleh.

OTOH, Carly is at her most likable, IMO, when she's with her mom, so...silver lining, I guess?

• Love 2

From NLG's FB page:

It was just a moment on GH, but I'm partial to these moments on soaps. There is a place for everything, but I personally will forego guns, and facemasks for a simple, real snapshot of a family. I'm so looking forward to 2 experienced, mature, intelligent women bringing their capable characters to the table to embellish ours on General Hospital

Mature capable women'???? Does she honestly believe JP and SA are going to deviate in the slightest from the mob crap?

I'm always touched when Bobbie talks to that creature who came to town to ruin her life.

What hallucinogenic drugs is Nancy on?

The ratings are out for Labor Day week, and the numbers were up across the board for the second week in a row. Who da fawq is actively tuning (back) in for "All My Corinthii"?!? Is Nielsen now sampling in prisons, sanitairums, and Middle Schools?

ETA: I neglected to comment on it earlier, but KSt may be even dumber than Bry-dog. Franco & Nina is her favorite couple? He's a seriel killer, she ripped a baby out of a woman's womb and attempted to rape a man, and RoHo and MSt are horrible actors.

Can Frank please bring back Robyn Richards, or hell even Danica Stewart?

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 1

I'm always touched when Bobbie talks to that creature who came to town to ruin her life.

What hallucinogenic drugs is Nancy on?

The ratings are out for Labor Day week, and the numbers were up across the board for the second week in a row. Who da fawq is actively tuning (back) in for "All My Corinthii"?!? Is Nielsen now sampling in prisons, sanitairums, and Middle Schools?

ETA: I neglected to comment on it earlier, but KSt may be even dumber than Bry-dog. Franco & Nina is her favorite couple? He's a seriel killer, she ripped a baby out of a woman's womb and attempted to rape a man, and RoHo and MSt are horrible actors.

Can Frank please bring back Robyn Richards, or hell even Danica Stewart?

The ratings typically go up in September every year. People are back to a school or work routine. The ratings compared to this week last year are significantly down.  And had the 18-49 ratings not have the bottom fall out of them this summer, last week's 487,000 or 489,000 would have been a new all-time low.  The demos haven't climbed above its previous low point yet.

We'll see over the next few weeks where the ratings level out.  Maybe they have recovered -- August was just that bad with all the focus on Silas and the host of unwanted characters that could have possible killed them.  Or maybe people will see the week-long Sonny tongue bath this week and say, "No thank you."

It was just a moment on GH, but I'm partial to these moments on soaps. There is a place for everything, but I personally will forego guns, and facemasks for a simple, real snapshot of a family.

She was talking about the Davis Coven scenes, I take it? 

The mob is always there—Alexis and Sam talking about Julian (did he shoot Sonny? Is he really out of the mob?), Kristina returning because Sonny was shot and is in the hospital, Molly concerned about TJ living with Sonny, etc.—so I don't think those family scenes are all that special. They're part and parcel of the focus on the mob, not apart from it.

Still, it's understandable to me that NLG would post something optimistic on her FB. I'm sure she wants better writing for Alexis and for the show not to get canceled.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 3

I'm telling myself that she got a bonus in her paycheck for tweeting that one.  

I am sure there are some Sonny and/or Carly fans who tuned out during the summer and are now tuning back in.

As for NLG's tweet, I doubt she's ever seen JP/SA work, so she's just hoping for the best.

The actors really hated the masks, huh? Not that I blame them.

• Love 1

As always, Ron overdid the use of the masks. He didn't even have the excuse of trying to rip off Mission: Impossible.

I loved all three masks, especially O-na. I thought Fin was fucking brilliant playing Dr. O in an Anna mask. For me, that was only topped by Anna pretending to be Faison in an Anna mask.

If Passanante & Altman want to explain away Ron's crap as random villains in masks, unbeknownst to each other, I'd gladly accept it. And since I know that's insane, I'll settle for Patrick being some villain in a mask since the spring of 2014 right after Robin was kidnapped by Victor.

• Love 4

And since I know that's insane, I'll settle for Patrick being some villain in a mask since the spring of 2014 right after Robin was kidnapped by Victor.

Ha, Patrick a bad guy!? I just legit choked. The writers, Frank, TPTB, whatever you want to call it, have effectively convinced themselves and a large segment of the audience that their story choices are Kimberly McCullough's fault. Why should Patrick, Emma, and Anna suffer on-screen because KMc is gone!? Because, you know, there was nothing else to do with Robin but make her a captive.

• Love 1

As always, Ron overdid the use of the masks. He didn't even have the excuse of trying to rip off Mission: Impossible.

And he knew it, he admitted in that one interview that he knew going back to the mask well one more time (with the Faison-as-Fluke stuff) was a mistake, but he did it anyway.

I will never forget that comment because it really encapsulates Ron's weakness in a nutshell. 

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4

The problem with that is that RC probably grew up watching Luke and Todd become enormously popular characters.

The other problem is RC (along with Guza) is not talented enough to write these types of characters into compelling leads and they aren't good enough to turn goody two shoe characters with some dark edges.  The other thing is, and I believe this is a (not great) trend in entertainment is the need for all characters to be messed up to some degree and for everything to be related to some form of navel gazing. It is why Superman is seen as irrelevant and Batman and Wolverine have such huge followings.

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 2

The other problem is RC (along with Guza) is not talented enough to write these types of characters into compelling leads and they aren't good enough to turn goody two shoe characters with some dark edges.  The other thing is, and I believe this is a (not great) trend in entertainment is the need for all characters to be messed up to some degree and for everything to be related to some form of navel gazing. It is why Superman is seen as irrelevant and Batman and Wolverine have such huge followings.

Yet Captain America is enormously popular.  The shit-flinging monkeys who write this show should think on that a bit.

• Love 2

Personally, I prefer Superman and hope the current trend of messed-up childhood/sociopathic retconned superheroes ignores him.

Then again, I got to watch George Reeves on TVLand when I was a kid, so what do I know, other than I hate most of the superhero movie franchises these days. And the TV SERIES are just as bad.

Sorry exception: it is totally okay to be rational, non dark hero if you are a woman. Except on General Hospital where all woman seem to be one bad Kelly's order away from Shadybrook.

Even with Man of Steel (which they tried to make as dark as possible), people will do write ups on why Batman is objectionable better. It is entirely possibly to like both. Maybe Batman appreciates Superman's naturally good heart.

• Love 2

I actually like both but I think for most people Batman is just easier to identify with - despite being a billionaire - because both the scope of his tragedies and his skills are human. 

Topic: It's possible to write complex, interesting characters that aren't anti-heroes. It's also necessary especially in a daytime format. If you see a character every day for years, at some point the anti-hero needs to either sack up, spank their inner moppet, get over it , and become an actual hero; DIE or admit he's a villain (possibly a villain who loves his family but a villain, nonetheless) in which case the actual heroes should win at least some of the time.

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 9

Apparently intimidated by Bryan Craig's rise to power, Nancy Lee Grahn continues to make good choices on social media

I wish I loved #ViolaDavis Speech, but I thought she should have let @shondarhimes write it. #Emmys

Try being any woman in TV. Wish she'd brought every woman in the picture. I wish I'd opportunity to play roles she has gets

Harriet Tubman not equivalent to great roles Viola Davis hired 2play. She's made millions. It is unfair comparison.
Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1