Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

Here's a long video interview with Mark Teschner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2519&v=l9KEAgCguDc

The male host/interviewer is horrible.  Granted, he's better than the radio blog parade of horror shows, but he still suffers from uber fandom ("From me as a fan.... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah") and lack of knowledge ("Oh, I'm picturing his face, I can't think of his name, oh, what's his name”). Ugh.  And his overloud underlying "Ohhhh" and "Yeaaaaah" and "I love it' and loud laughing and "I mean" and "indecipherable mumblings"  while the guest is talking is nearly unbearable.  Why waste your audience's time with that self-indulgent crap?  But MT was great, and made it worth listening.  No ahhh's and ummmm's.  Just talked about what he did and what he does. Very well-spoken.

My random comments:

1)No, Mark, Port Charles wasn't ahead of its time. That the original premise involved 6 interns didn't make it Grey's Anatomy.

2) Frank wanted Billy Miller to be Jason Morgan from day 1.  MT was too complimentary about how "creative" that was.  It wasn't.

3) When Burton was auditioning back in 1992, Gloria Monty made a last minute note that Jason Morgan had to be 6 feet tall.  Mark said that was the only time GM said she wanted a particular height.  Steven had to stuff paper into his doc martins to make himself tall enough. That's at 19 minutes.

4) The first contract role MT cast was Anders Hove.  That’s at 18 minutes. 

5) Recasting isn’t fun.  MT claims that Laura Wright is “incredibly popular.”  I don’t understand where the show runners get these perceptions. They really live in a bubble, don't they?

6) Jen Lilly read with Bradford when being considered for Maxie.

Despite some blind spots to how some actors and characters are received, I came away thinking that MT may be one of the few (if not the only one) competent professionals left behind the cameras at GH.  Thank God Frank didn’t replace him with whoever was at OLTL. MT may have survived not because of his multiple emmys and great work product, because Frank jettisoned good award-winning dialogue writers, but because casting in LA is probably so different from casting in New York.

• Love 4

Here's a long video interview with Mark Teschner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2519&v=l9KEAgCguDc

The male host/interviewer is horrible.  Granted, he's better than the radio blog parade of horror shows, but he still suffers from uber fandom ("From me as a fan.... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah") and lack of knowledge ("Oh, I'm picturing his face, I can't think of his name, oh, what's his name”). Ugh.  And his overloud underlying "Ohhhh" and "Yeaaaaah" and "I love it' and loud laughing and "I mean" and "indecipherable mumblings"  while the guest is talking is nearly unbearable.  Why waste your audience's time with that self-indulgent crap?  But MT was great, and made it worth listening.  No ahhh's and ummmm's.  Just talked about what he did and what he does. Very well-spoken.

My random comments:

1)No, Mark, Port Charles wasn't ahead of its time. That the original premise involved 6 interns didn't make it Grey's Anatomy.

2) Frank wanted Billy Miller to be Jason Morgan from day 1.  MT was too complimentary about how "creative" that was.  It wasn't.

3) When Burton was auditioning back in 1992, Gloria Monty made a last minute note that Jason Morgan had to be 6 feet tall.  Mark said that was the only time GM said she wanted a particular height.  Steven had to stuff paper into his doc martins to make himself tall enough. That's at 19 minutes.

4) The first contract role MT cast was Anders Hove.  That’s at 18 minutes. 

5) Recasting isn’t fun.  MT claims that Laura Wright is “incredibly popular.”  I don’t understand where the show runners get these perceptions. They really live in a bubble, don't they?

6) Jen Lilly read with Bradford when being considered for Maxie.

Despite some blind spots to how some actors and characters are received, I came away thinking that MT may be one of the few (if not the only one) competent professionals left behind the cameras at GH.  Thank God Frank didn’t replace him with whoever was at OLTL. MT may have survived not because of his multiple emmys and great work product, because Frank jettisoned good award-winning dialogue writers, but because casting in LA is probably so different from casting in New York.

I hate to be THAT person, but SBU actually began on GH in late 1991.

Honestly, I think LW--and all of the Carly's really, except for JB--fall under the category of "polarizing." Both LW and TB, especially, have an equal amount of fans and detractors (I think TB is by FAR the most polarizing Carly between them, though). SJB falls under this, too, but I think it's fair to say she probably still has more fans than detractors, though.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

I hate to be THAT person, but SBU actually began on GH in late 1991.

That's my bad and not from the interviewer.  They just talked about Mark overlapping with Gloria Monty for a year.  So, I pegged SB interviewing in early 1992, and I was trying to give context for other posters here as to when that story was from.  You're right, it was 1991. And no worries. :)  I don't mind being corrected and having the right info out there.

Honestly, I think LW--and all of the Carly's really, except for JB--fall under the category of "polarizing." Both LW and TB, especially, have an equal amount of fans and detractors (I think TB is by FAR the most polarizing Carly between them, though). SJB falls under this, too, but I think it's fair to say she probably has more fans than detractors, though.

ICAM!  I've said that term -- polarizing -- so many times about LW.  I get that she has fans. But it's pretty obvious she has just as many detractors. 

Edited by Francie
  • Love 1

ICAM!  I've said that term -- polarizing -- so many times about LW.  I get that she has fans. But it's pretty obvious she has just as many detractors. 

She does but . . . I do think she is probably pretty popular. Laura Wright, I mean, not Carly. I don't like Carly but I do think Laura Wright plays her well. She's shouty but so are most of the folks in soaps.

3) When Burton was auditioning back in 1992, Gloria Monty made a last minute note that Jason Morgan had to be 6 feet tall.  Mark said that was the only time GM said she wanted a particular height.  

How odd.

• Love 3
Honestly, I think LW--and all of the Carly's really, except for JB--fall under the category of "polarizing."

Carly is a pretty polarizing character, so it makes sense her portrayers would be, too. The writing changed with each recast (except poor Jennifer Bransford, who wasn't around long enough), and if you hated what Carly became, you probably hated the actor, too.

Mark said that was the only time GM said she wanted a particular height.

Was Sean Kanan AJ at that point? I wonder if GM wanted two actors of similar build. I think one reason Billy Warlock's AJ was so dumped on was because he was physically small. Sonny couldn't have put SK's AJ on a meat hook. But of course, SK's AJ was fat, so it evened out. /s

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 3

Carly is a pretty polarizing character, so it makes sense her portrayers would be, too. The writing changed with each recast (except poor Jennifer Bransford, who wasn't around long enough), and if you hated what Carly became, you probably hated the actor, too.

Was Sean Kanan AJ at that point? I wonder if GM wanted two actors of similar build. I think one reason Billy Warlock's AJ was so dumped on was because he was physically small. Sonny couldn't have put SK's AJ on a meat hook. But of course, SK's AJ was fat, so it evened out. /s

Not yet. Gerald Hopkins was playing AJ then. SK didn't replace him until early 1993.

Poor Jennifer Bransford was never given the opportunity to play Carly; the character was totally changed into a complete whack-job the second JB assumed the role. From a purely acting standpoint, I thought she was fantastic.

• Love 3

I hope not! I'm not thrilled with ER in the role, but it's hers and I would hate to think the show would ask fans to compare.

It wouldn't shock me if the show did.  This is the network that gave us the "The Real Greenlee Returns!" ads running while her replacement was still in the role. 

• Love 1

It wouldn't shock me if the show did.  This is the network that gave us the "The Real Greenlee Returns!" ads running while her replacement was still in the role. 

I actually think ABC learned their lesson there. The reaction to that promo was VERY bad, to put it mildly.

• Love 1

Yeah Steve Burton isn't that tall. He's not short but I'm 5'9 and wore a little heel to a personal appearance and I had to bend over a bit to take a picture with him so I didn't appear taller than him ;) 

*Edited because heal and heel are not the same... 

Edited by Box305
takes a walk down memory road.

What a very awkward phrase. Just say "memory lane" and be done with it.

Also, LOL that we got NO Luke flashbacks when TG leaves after 35 years, but Sonny gets shot for the billionth time and suddenly it's "The Way We Were."

Oh, Show!

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 7

Did some instagram hopping and discovered this on Stafford's instagram

https://instagram.com/p/6ypYu-rjHj/?taken-by=staffordstrong_

It's a picture of Hayley Erin and this caption:

staffordstrong_Okay let me get one thing straight.All you haters hating on Hayley Erin calling her a terrible actress,ugly,etc. listen up.Hayley is an amazing young woman who is trying her hardest. @krisalderson did a wonderful job playing Kiki Jerome but Hayley is doing her best to top her and honestly I love her.I consider her Kiki Jerome.I'd like to see you try and act out all those love scenes,it's hard work. #dontbullyhayley

I don't think I've seen anyone call Hayley ugly . . . 

And Vinessa Antoine jumped in

vantoine@staffordstrong Whoa whao whoa!!!!! Hold the eff up!!! Who's saying this sh*t? I will bring the rath of Jordan Ashford on their asses...and we don't want that. Haters step back...Hayley is beautiful and talented. Keep doin your thing girl. 

I guess neither of them read Bryan's latest interview.

And here is a commentator who obviously hasn't been following the ratings:

twadjessLet's face it no one likes change!! Not a lot of people liked @krisalderson when she first appeared on GH!! People will change their minds, and hopefully really like Hayley!!.. If they dont well in my opinion.. dont watch the show!! and dont shit talk the amazing people that make GH - well ... GH!!! Haters gonna hate!! Personally .. I love the show and I think all the actors/actresses are perfect for their characters!! #dontbullyhayley

Nathan Varni's tweet about today's episode says all there is say about his vision of GH:

Sadly, can't say I'm shocked. Everything Varni said has been coming true. More Sonny/Carly, more mob, Samtrick/Anna/Emma as a "family," more Sabrina, more Kiki. He warned us.

I guess it's easier to claim it's a recast issue than to acknowledge that Kiki and Nina are terrible, worthless characters who add nothing to the show and could be jettisoned without causing a ripple because they've been so poorly written

And I'm sorry but I do not care that she's "trying". She's not good at her job. It's not okay to call her ugly but saying HE is a sucky actress and her crappy character should be written out isn't bullying

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 4

Did some instagram hopping and discovered this on Stafford's instagram

https://instagram.com/p/6ypYu-rjHj/?taken-by=staffordstrong_

It's a picture of Hayley Erin and this caption:

staffordstrong_Okay let me get one thing straight.All you haters hating on Hayley Erin calling her a terrible actress,ugly,etc. listen up.Hayley is an amazing young woman who is trying her hardest. @krisalderson did a wonderful job playing Kiki Jerome but Hayley is doing her best to top her and honestly I love her.I consider her Kiki Jerome.I'd like to see you try and act out all those love scenes,it's hard work. #dontbullyhayley

I don't think I've seen anyone call Hayley ugly . . . 

And Vinessa Antoine jumped in

vantoine@staffordstrong Whoa whao whoa!!!!! Hold the eff up!!! Who's saying this sh*t? I will bring the rath of Jordan Ashford on their asses...and we don't want that. Haters step back...Hayley is beautiful and talented. Keep doin your thing girl. 

I guess neither of them read Bryan's latest interview.

And here is a commentator who obviously hasn't been following the ratings:

twadjessLet's face it no one likes change!! Not a lot of people liked @krisalderson when she first appeared on GH!! People will change their minds, and hopefully really like Hayley!!.. If they dont well in my opinion.. dont watch the show!! and dont shit talk the amazing people that make GH - well ... GH!!! Haters gonna hate!! Personally .. I love the show and I think all the actors/actresses are perfect for their characters!! #dontbullyhayley

Oh boy. I get what MS and VA were trying to do but this type of thing never leads to anything good happening. They should've offered HE words of encouragement in private. 

• Love 4

I disagree. I think if you played the first year of Port Charles for a Grey's Anatomy fan, I would find it hard to believe he/she couldn't see more similarities beyond the 6 interns. The african american no nonsense attendant in charge of the interns (as played by Debbie Morgan) is the most glaring, but you also had female doctor trying overcome her famous dad's shadow, the jerk doctor for the broken home and the female legacy that was the de facto lead of the show. It might not have been a head of its time, but it was ahead of the trend, unlike the last half of Port Charles ( sorry RC) which was copying the current trend of the supernatural (Buffy, Charmed, Angel).

• Love 5

I disagree. I think if you played the first year of Port Charles for a Grey's Anatomy fan, I would find it hard to believe he/she couldn't see more similarities beyond the 6 interns. The african american no nonsense attendant in charge of the interns (as played by Debbie Morgan) is the most glaring, but you also had female doctor trying overcome her famous dad's shadow, the jerk doctor for the broken home and the female legacy that was the de facto lead of the show. It might not have been a head of its time, but it was ahead of the trend, unlike the last half of Port Charles ( sorry RC) which was copying the current trend of the supernatural (Buffy, Charmed, Angel).

OTOH, I guess you COULD claim that PC was somewhat ahead of its time--at least in this country--by daring to have shorter story arcs, which certainly took more time to catch on/caught on in a different way later on.

• Love 4

The character is a bust. Drop her and move on.

Exactly.  I hate Kiki, but it's the writing for her and the non-stop shoving of her down our throats that did it, not so much the acting (though I don't find either Kristen Alderson or Hayley Erin particularly good).

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2

The set up was the same, I'll give you that.  And I see what you're saying.

My issue with the comparison was that Port Charles, right out of the gate, didn't have strong female leads. I hated, positively hated, that the premiere episode had Karen stripping as a way to distract the kidnappers. That kind of storyline comes straight out of Misogyny Guidebook For Soaps 101.  So, to compare Port Charles, where the interns pretty much crashed and burned within the first two years of the show and were eventually replaced by vampires, to a show with the hallmarks of a roller coaster, kick you in the gut love story and big soapy, emotional deaths seemed a bit overreaching to me. They shouldn't be patting themselves on the back on that one, because Grey's at least told love stories and had people invest in their characters, unlike those characters on Port Charles.

But, yes, I agree the intent at the outset was to tell the stories of those 6 interns lives. But that had already been done by E/R back in 1994.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 1

Weren't PC's telenova stories actually a hail-mary pass for low ratings? It sounds like they were less ahead of their time and more just trying anything not to be cancelled.

But aside from that I don't know anything much about the show (besides the fact that it blessed us for a time with Rafe.)

Weren't PC's telenova stories actually a hail-mary pass for low ratings? It sounds like they were less ahead of their time and more just trying anything not to be cancelled.

Yeah, IIRC, the idea of doing "books" was implemented to try and boost ratings.  But given the current TV climate, where most showrruners would prefer a 13-episode run to the once standard 22, it was a bit ahead of its time in the US.

• Love 3

The "Rath" of Jordan? What's she gonna do, fuck us to death?

I'm sorry! I'm sorry, I'm trying to catch up and this show is just terrible and I have taken cold medicine and I am just struggling. I am obviously talking about the fictional character of Jordan who loves crime dick more than life itself.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 5

The "Rath" of Jordan? What's she gonna do, fuck us to death?

She can also squat on any park bench in your neighborhood. Don't think she won't do it either!

Wait, I missed the obvious! She's going to come take the "w" key from your keyboards.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 3

The set up was the same, I'll give you that.  And I see what you're saying.

My issue with the comparison was that Port Charles, right out of the gate, didn't have strong female leads. I hated, positively hated, that the premiere episode had Karen stripping as a way to distract the kidnappers. That kind of storyline comes straight out of Misogyny Guidebook For Soaps 101.  So, to compare Port Charles, where the interns pretty much crashed and burned within the first two years of the show and were eventually replaced by vampires, to a show with the hallmarks of a roller coaster, kick you in the gut love story and big soapy, emotional deaths seemed a bit overreaching to me. No patting yourself on the back on that one, because Grey's at least told love stories and had people invest in their characters, unlike those characters on Port Charles.

But, yes, I agree the intent at the outset was to tell the stories of those 6 interns lives. But that had already been done by E/R back in 1994.

And the argument can be made that General Hospital, when it dealt with the hospital was ahead of all of them, because it was one of the first medical dramas in America. If the set up is the same, then what Mark Teschar said was true . Just because it did crash and burn doesn't mean the elements of show weren't sound and can see Mark feeling a bit vindicated that Grey's succeeded where PC failed because it focused more on the medical drama and the interpersonal relationships than PC did. 

But aside from that I don't know anything much about the show (besides the fact that it blessed us for a time with Rafe.)

I feel that most revolutionary things happen as result of low funds, cancellation or desire to prove oneself. Basically survival. When GH changed soaps forever, it was on the brink of cancellation. 

• Love 3

Perhaps so. I guess the correct term here would be "an accidentally genius idea", heh. ;)

And to be fair, the book "Tainted Love" DID raise its profile as a show, even if it was at the expense of its original premise.

PC's biggest issue, though, was really the lack of a strong time slot. It was generally scheduled at 12:30 EST, and there were many affiliates that never even aired it, or if they did, it was at some ungodly hour of the night/early morning.

Actually, growing up in Maryland, I was lucky. Our area gets both the DC and Baltimore affiliates. DC showed PC at 12:30; I don't think Baltimore EVER aired it. So unless you were in an area with an overlap into the DC market, you couldn't see the show in the Baltimore area, except if you had Soapnet. 

Edited by UYI

thank you. :)

You read the comments, which is hardly stalking. Besides, you're talking to the person who remembers random things posters said 10 years ago and quotes them again, no worries.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1

If anyone is going to call Sonny on his isn, Dante is a good person to do it. But it's pointless as always, because Sonny never changes.

I saw someone ask why Dante chose to call him on this shit when he's in a coma when it could hurt him and not to his face when he's better. He says it all the time! Talking to Sonny not in a coma is the same as Sonny in a coma. Well, that, and Dante reinforces that his behavior is okay when he does stuff like go to Sonny's trillionth wedding.

Obviously, stronger measures are needed. Maybe Dante can sleep with Brenda for real this time?

Is Dom silently protesting this shit by refusing to shave or cut and brush his hair?

*whispers* I like it. I'm sure you're shocked. As long as he doesn't get the hair wings!

No, he just enrolled in the JT School of Daytime Acting When Your Script Is Blank and You Have To Portray Devastation.

It's in Canada!

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3

aaw. from twitter:

(question to Kirsten Storms) who is one person you'd like to share more scenes with? #AskGH

KS
dom_zamprogna for sure.

DZ's reply:
I second and support the hell outta this!

Kirsten is getting on my good side:
Q: If you could be another character who would you be? #AskGH

A:Tracy or Anna.

• Love 6