Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, UYI said:

If it's for the reason I think it is, that's EXACTLY why I find it so hard to crush on Chad Duell these days (yes, I may or may not have had a crush on CD at one point, SHUT UP! 😛 ). Sigh. 😞 

I personally would have been fine imagining myself as Lulu and having Johnny and Dante to cite as romantic interests back in the day. 😄 

I had such a crush on WR in 2000-2001 when he played Sam on GL (for that reason alone, I just CAN'T bring myself to call him by his usual nickname here--I just can't do it), but that's dead now. Oh well. 

I give Wes a lot of shit but he actually has really nice skin.  I notice it sometimes in scenes. lol

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, jsbt said:

I think Y&R and B&B would absolutely go after KM if she quit. That's what the soaps do now, trade baseball cards.

I think B&B and DAYS, yes. Y&R? imo no way. And right now Y&R is just making sure to get their own lapsed actors back.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ulkis said:

I think B&B and DAYS, yes. Y&R? imo no way. And right now Y&R is just making sure to get their own lapsed actors back.

Y&R has done that many times and has still hired many, many other soaps' unneeded stars in the last decade, lol. They won't stop now.

DAYS could never pay her.

3 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

Whatever, someone, anyone, pls hire KeMo. 

That will never happen. She cannot act, speak, emote or generate any kind of interest from the viewers. She needs to go away.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

She's an experienced soap actress with a relatively large and vocal fanbase. FV has repeatedly made hires with less to offer - she'd land somewhere

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 7

Other soaps would likely court Kelly Monaco if/when she ever left this show. But the big test for her as an actor - and any actors left on the last four holdouts - will come when the last four soaps die. Some have dabbled in prime time. And the lines of TV/movie actors have now blurred what with so many options, so it may be easier to find something.

Or harder, since there are now so many former movie actors now doing TV that roles that used to go to moonlighting daytime actors have now shifted elsewhere.

I would say maybe soaps will go the streaming route, but an experiment with the haphazard Prospect Park showed that didn't work out too well. Or maybe it was because PP was so badly disorganized. Even so, seeing the prior failure, it makes me wonder if the streaming platforms would be hesitant to try it again. Yes, there are current web soaps, but how many really know they exist?

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I would say maybe soaps will go the streaming route, b

I personally don’t think soaps can continue in this 1-hr/5 days a week format. If they do a Netflix/YouTube/Hulu route, they should prioritize quality over quantity and maybe people will care again.

• Love 1
Just now, HeatLifer said:

I personally don’t think soaps can continue in this 1-hr/5 days a week format. If they do a Netflix/YouTube/Hulu route, they should prioritize quality over quantity and maybe people will care again.

Oh, I agree there. Maybe twice or three days a week? Eliminate the shitty filler and get back to real storytelling about love and family, not mobsters, aliens, or rubber masks.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I would say maybe soaps will go the streaming route, but an experiment with the haphazard Prospect Park showed that didn't work out too well. Or maybe it was because PP was so badly disorganized. Even so, seeing the prior failure, it makes me wonder if the streaming platforms would be hesitant to try it again. Yes, there are current web soaps, but how many really know they exist?

This was the main reason. That, and I think they were just a few years too early. Streaming hadn't yet caught on in a really BIG way in 2013, the way it has since. 

Obviously, things would probably have to be different in terms of how it was presented compared to now (5 days a week vs. a season to binge watch--well, something along those lines to binge), but I absolutely think it could be done, and in a MUCH friendlier environment now than they had back then. 

3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Oh, I agree there. Maybe twice or three days a week? Eliminate the shitty filler and get back to real storytelling about love and family, not mobsters, aliens, or rubber masks.

Wait, there's been an alien since Casey? I've missed a LOT! 😄 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 5

The PP soaps were the future, AFAIC. That was the model and platform, if not the schedule. The higher management was what failed them from above.

• Love 11
On 6/20/2019 at 12:23 AM, jsbt said:

I think Y&R and B&B would absolutely go after KM if she quit. That's what the soaps do now, trade baseball cards.

I think Y&R, in particular, would be a strong candidate since they have utilized so many GH actors over the years and vice versa.

• Love 1
On 6/10/2019 at 6:22 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Nina is pointless, no matter who plays her. I think it is a waste of Cynthia Watros' ability. Nina should have been offed by Ryan. To paraphrase Phoebe Buffay from Friends, Nina "lifts right out".

I totally agree. I've never cared for the Nina character. The only good thing about her is her wardrobe.

1 hour ago, DivaLasVegas82 said:

Neil is obviously Willow's father. I just wonder why he faked his death. Now he know he got remarried and had another child and lost that child.

He and Willow met. So if he faked his death, he had to go through some massive plastic surgery that she wouldn't recognize him.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Someone earlier (sorry, I don't remember who it was) posited that Neil left the family when Willow was young, and she grew up thinking her stepfather was her bio dad. So she doesn't know who Neil is.

I thought that last week and I think I posted about, but did Neil bury an empty casket? The death of his daughter occurred in 2014. How long has it been since Willow's father died? Did she say it was 8 years? 

It just seems like a tragic story at this point where his daughter got involved in a cult, then maybe killed herself because her exit therapy didn't work. It would be great if Willow was his kid because both characters really deserve better because they're nice people and damn it, good people are worth rooting for!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Someone earlier (sorry, I don't remember who it was) posited that Neil left the family when Willow was young, and she grew up thinking her stepfather was her bio dad. So she doesn't know who Neil is.

It's either that (and Harmony didn't want her to know she had another father), or the show is going to do a "Willow was switched at birth" story for irony - that the daughter who died was the switched baby while Willow is his true biological daughter.

The only way I see Neil being willows father is if he left when she was a baby. If she were 3 or older she would at least have vague memories of another father being in her life.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tvgoddess said:

The only thing I'm excited about these days (even though she's stuck with boring ass Finn. Seriously, why couldn't they have put him with Alexis for real?)

https://ew.com/tv/2019/06/27/rebecca-budig-general-hospital-first-look-abc/?utm_term=3EB4E0E4-9931-11E9-91E7-65A84744363C&utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_ew&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_content=link

Why would they ever put two people who have chemistry together? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

...and when was the last time we saw Terry?  What do we know about Terry?  It's just...the intention is nice and right, but it kinda feels like Terry exists as a character for this type of tweet, you know?

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 6
(edited)

I don't recall seeing Terry since the "miraculous recovery fake-out" sequence of the Oscar death episode, which was May 1.

No, she doesn't really exist as an independent character. She was on once in a while when someone on the show had cancer, and she is Liz's friend, and that's about it. So I agree with TeeVee329 that she's kind of a "representation placeholder." I doubt they're going to write a love story for her, introduce family members for her, or show her going through a depression when she makes a bad recommendation and a patient dies. 

The other side of the coin is that those well-meant but thinly developed diversity characters do gently push doors open, even if they're not well done in and of themselves. Back in the '90s, there was a lot of mockery of Matt on Melrose Place. He got some extremely discreet and skittishly presented love stories of his own (on a show where the straight people were literally tearing each other's clothes off and slamming into the walls, humping in alleys, licking food off of each other's bodies, and everything else you could get by with on network TV), but mostly he functioned as talk-to for everyone else. But he was still a somewhat groundbreaking figure. Maybe twentysomething straight people got comfortable with Matt of the sexless man-hugs and it was easier for them to accept whatever came five years later, and five years after that.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

r side of the coin is that those well-meant but thinly developed diversity characters do gently push doors open, even if they're not well done in and of themselves. Back in the '90s, there was a lock of mockery of Matt on Melrose Place. He got some extremely discreet and skittishly presented love stories of his own (on a show where the straight people were literally tearing each other's clothes off and slamming into the walls, humping in alleys, licking food off of each other's bodies, and everything else you could get by with on network TV), but mostly he functioned as talk-to for everyone else. But he was still a somewhat groundbreaking figure. Maybe twentysomething straight people got comfortable with Matt of the sexless man-hugs and it was easier for them to accept whatever came five years later, and five years after that.

That's an interesting point.  Unless I'm forgetting someone, Cassandra James is the first trans performer to play a trans character on a US soap and her just being there is kind of a big deal.

But this "General Hospital" regime (I'm looking at your, Groundbreaking and Progressive Soap Scribe Shelly Altman) tends to be...obnoxiously back pat-y about this stuff.  I recall how hard they tooted their own horn about Oscar and Joss' trans or gender fluid friend that we saw that one time.

I still wish - and I've said this before - that instead of inventing some childhood friend of Liz's, they had brought back Sarah as having transitioned.  That could have been a great story, but instead of being a Bianca, Terry's a Billy Douglas.

• Love 3
On 6/30/2019 at 10:47 AM, TeeVee329 said:

I still wish - and I've said this before - that instead of inventing some childhood friend of Liz's, they had brought back Sarah as having transitioned.  That could have been a great story, but instead of being a Bianca, Terry's a Billy Douglas.

I don’t know those other people you mentioned at the end, but that part about Sarah is a great idea!

Bianca is from "All My Children", she's Erica Kane's daughter who came out as a lesbian and was a major part of the show.  Billy Douglas is from "One Life to Live", he's the friend of Joey Buchanan they invented when they weren't allowed to have Joey be gay and who was written out after a year.  So what I was saying is that Terry, as a loosely connected friend versus a member of a core family, would be much easier for the show to discard of at any time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Cameron Boyce, best known for his roles on the Disney Channel and in the Grown-Ups movies, has passed away. In 2008 he played Jagger's son Stone in season 2 of Night Shift. He's at about 4 minutes into this clip.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/07/entertainment/disney-channel-star-cameron-boyce-dies/index.html

Antonio Sabato Jr mentioned him on Twitter today. Not sure if anyone else he worked with on NS has.

Edited by Pete Martell
21 minutes ago, ouinason said:

Damn, she looks good.

Not the take-away Nina wanted. 

How often does that magazine publish? Or is it that full of ads? Damn, that's thicker than my college intro textbooks used to be.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I wonder how many of the "1,001 men we want to know!" live in Port Charles and/or are in the mob. #eyeroll

Even if they were, when has any magazine gone high. 101? Sure. But 1001 is way too high.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I wonder how many of the "1,001 men we want to know!" live in Port Charles and/or are in the mob. #eyeroll

Besides the ridiculously absurd high number, the non-capitalization and font stands apart from the rest of the other topics and bothers the hell out of me. Who edited/proofed this? Maxie, you suck at your job.

• Love 2

I have really tuned out a lot since there has been so much Shiloh.  My personal opinion is that men smugly abusing women is every day life and getting away with it is all the rage, in fact, it often makes them more popular.  So I don't need to see it on my escapism show.  But with Miller out, I don't know if I will even gather enough interest to ever watch regularly again.  Certainly not anytime soon.  Willow and Chase are about the only good thing this show has left.  And that's just not enough for a 5 day a week habit.  

• Love 5

Well that was probably the worst kept secret of the year...maybe 2 years (how long as SBu been back?)

I'll miss Billy but I certainly can't blame him. He's had absolutely nothing to do since Burton's return and it's clear he wasn't going to get anything either. Not sure I want him back at Y&R but I do look forward to seeing him wherever he lands.

• Love 3