Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

Susan Brown, who played Gail Baldwin on GH and later its spinoff, PORT CHARLES, passed away at the age of 86, her on-screen stepson, Kin Shriner (Scott), reported on Twitter. “Sad to say one of my best friends and costars Susan Brown passed away today,” he wrote. “R.I.P. Susan I will miss all our laughs.” The actress began her Port Charles run in 1977, and last appeared in the role in 2004.

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/gh-fave-susan-brown-passes-away-at-86/

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Neptune said:

GH’s Roger Howarth Talks Franco’s Childhood Abuse, If Friz Can Be Happy, And Bad Guys On The Soaps

https://michaelfairmantv.com/ghs-roger-howarth-talks-francos-childhood-abuse-if-friz-can-be-happy-and-bad-guys-on-the-soaps/2018/08/31/

Roger seems almost proud of the fact that he did no research on his character and doesn't care to know why Port Charles people should hate Original Recipe Franco.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Roger seems almost proud of the fact that he did no research on his character and doesn't care to know why Port Charles people should hate Original Recipe Franco.

I don't like the fact that he said Scotty should have been francos molester.

• Love 8

Original Recipe Franco

That's the problem for me: ORF doesn't exist anymore. The brain tumor idiocy doesn't change that, either, IMO. It was SO POINTLESS to bring back Franco and then completely rewrite him.

It also doesn't help that RoHo gives Franco a layer of smug and sleaze that's especially off-putting given we are supposed to think Franco is somehow reformed, if not actually redeemed.

1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

Too many vets have been character-destroyed under this regime. Leave Scotty alone!

Too late. Scotty being Franco's father has already destroyed him.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Harmony233 said:

I don't like the fact that he said Scotty should have been francos molester.

Given that he left OLTL in 1995 when the pairing of Todd and Marty--a gang rapist (the RING LEADER, at that) and his victim--was broached, I'm especially shocked he would say something like that. Working on GH as that character (Franco) is one thing--in this business and this day and age, money is money, and we all have to eat--but there are NO excuses for jokes like that. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Trevor St, John, who replaced a roger on OLTL, did absolutely no research and turned Todd into a completely different character. I hated it then and I hate it now. But I guess if the writers are determined to turn a character around, it makes sense on some level. If an actor gets too close to the characters past, maybe it’s more difficult to play it as written. Or maybe not. I don’t know but I’m not going to chastise him for not researching the character. 

His comments about Scotty, otoh, I didn’t appreciate. It might have made for good story if it wasn’t Scotty. But it was, and there’s no way that Scott Baldwin would have abused his child. He just isn’t wired that way. And in the current environment the character would never recover and would have to be written off completely. As much of a buffoon as Scotty has become, I wouldn’t want to see that happen.

• Love 2

Howarth has always liked playing dark roles. Playing them too humanized used to be the sticking point for him, but Franco is arguably a far more nefarious character than Todd who has been far more whitewashed.

I can't fault him as a working actor or as a person, though I often think his performance as Franco is pretty much just coasting at best or downright bad.

I think this passage pretty much sums up his ethos since the late 2000s, as when he left OLTL he was constantly fighting with the show on the direction of his character. When he came back to OLTL after spending years at CBS he was much more laid back, and this is pretty much where I suspected his head was:

Have you ever gone to the powers-that-be to tell them what you’d like to do, or see happen next with your character?

ROGER:  No, I don’t get involved in any of that.  I’m not the best judge of what we do.  I’ve learned over the years that we have to commit to everything, because sometimes the things that you think are problematic wind up being the fan favorite.  So, I’m more of the: “Just tell me what to do, and I’ll do it, and I’ll try not to screw it up.” (Laughs) They shouldn’t let the inmates run the asylum. (Laughs) Because then you get into a weird situation where you’re saying, “My character wouldn’t do that,” and that’s really limiting.  That’s the whole point of what we do.  It’s supposed to be challenging and out there and large-scale.  We are supposed to be really brave and accept the challenge.  We aren’t supposed to control where these people go.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 4

Sad news about Susan Brown.  Gail was pretty much gone by the time I got into the show, but I've seen clips of her on both "General Hospital" and particularly "Port Charles" and actor and character was very likable.

*small voice* Is it horrible that, after I read the news, I couldn't help wondering if they'd do a tribute and we'd get to see Serena again? *small voice*

• Love 2

Wasn't the only reason we got the tribute for Peter Hansen/Lee Baldwin because Kin and Lynn pushed for it so hard?

And they still managed to kind of screw up by cutting parts of it. Luckily, Franco wasn't there so, thank god for small favors.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

Sad news about Susan Brown.  Gail was pretty much gone by the time I got into the show, but I've seen clips of her on both "General Hospital" and particularly "Port Charles" and actor and character was very likable.

*small voice* Is it horrible that, after I read the news, I couldn't help wondering if they'd do a tribute and we'd get to see Serena again? *small voice*

19 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

And they still managed to kind of screw up by cutting parts of it. Luckily, Franco wasn't there so, thank god for small favors.

Yeah, RoHo isn't on vacation this time so I'm afraid that a Gail funeral would be about inserting Franco's parasitic ass deeper into Scott's life. I don't want to listen to Serena talking about "her brother Franco"

10 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Girl, that's more or less what I implied above! ;) 

16 hours ago, jsbt said:

I can't fault him as a working actor or as a person, though I often think his performance as Franco is pretty much just coasting at best or downright bad.

Same here. I wonder if that's part of his "I just read the lines" attitude. I don't really fault him for that attitude, but it comes across as contemptuous of the material, which—be grateful you aren't Lisa LoCicero, dude. There is someone who works really hard to make sense of the utter dreck she's given.

• Love 7

In the grocery store check-out line today, I was taken aback to see an 8.5 x 11 photo of MB's face....on the cover of  a "Maurice Bernard special anniversary edition" magazine.  The cover includes photos of young "Sonny and Brenda" current "Sonny and Carly" and "Sonny and Jason" (I assume that one is fairly recent). Maybe I'm the only one who didn't know to expect to see this. I think it's insulting, given how many years other actors on the show have been there and I can't recall a "special anniversary edition" for any of them.

• Love 7
On 9/1/2018 at 1:33 PM, UYI said:

I hope she'll get a tribute like Peter Hansen did last year. 

Also: It's important to note that Monica thought of Gail like she was her mother, just as much as she did Lila. 

One of the biggest regrets was Gail not calling out Carly for compromising AJ's soberity, seeing as she helped deliver him. I saw how hard she was on Scotty in the early 80s clips during the Susan Moore murder mystery, when she thought Scotty was threatening Lee's soberity. But what Scotty did wasn't intentional towards Lee (and in the case of Susan, he was being set up), but Carly, the selfish and sociopathic hag that she is, it was. If it was real Gail, I would love to see how "AJ's was already a mess" line would have gone over her. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

In the grocery store check-out line today, I was taken aback to see an 8.5 x 11 photo of MB's face....on the cover of  a "Maurice Bernard special anniversary edition" magazine.  The cover includes photos of young "Sonny and Brenda" current "Sonny and Carly" and "Sonny and Jason" (I assume that one is fairly recent). Maybe I'm the only one who didn't know to expect to see this. I think it's insulting, given how many years other actors on the show have been there and I can't recall a "special anniversary edition" for any of them.

No for some reason this show acts like this show didn't start till sonny got here.Poor L Elsie Charleston had an anniversary a few weeks ago and it wasn't even mentioned.

On 9/2/2018 at 12:55 AM, Ambrosefolly said:

And they still managed to kind of screw up by cutting parts of it.

I couldn't believe they went through the trouble of getting Carly Schroeder and then didn't show a flashback of wee Carly Schroeder with Peter Hansen.  That's the whole point of tribute episodes!

• Love 3
On 9/2/2018 at 6:07 PM, Bringonthedrama said:

Talk about a waste of paper.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

From what I could read, his response to her announcement was “too bad, she was a good actress.”

It was, but I meant her response to that, which was "You know I can hear you, right?" It sounded like she was NOT flattered to hear that from him. 

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

What does Haim Saban or his wife have to do with either Sarah or Vanessa? Is this Power Rangers escandelo? I am missing all the context.

Shuki Levy of Saban was Sarah's longtime partner and the father of her daughter Jordan. They met when Sarah was cast on VR Troopers. 

4 minutes ago, UYI said:

Shuki Levy of Saban was Sarah's longtime partner and the father of her daughter Jordan. They met when Sarah was cast on VR Troopers. 

Oh, right, duh. So, Levy and Saban are terrible, probably? I'm almost afraid to know. I know basically nothing about either of these people, but my mind is going to a #MeToo place.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

What does Haim Saban or his wife have to do with either Sarah or Vanessa? Is this Power Rangers escandelo? I am missing all the context.

2 hours ago, UYI said:

2 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Oh, right, duh. So, Levy and Saban are terrible, probably? I'm almost afraid to know. I know basically nothing about either of these people, but my mind is going to a #MeToo place.

2 hours ago, UYI said:

Random factoid: the reason Shell Danielson (Dominique) left GH in 1993 was to write for Saban shows like Power Rangers. 

So...yeah. 

And at the risk of looking stupid, I still am confused.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And at the risk of looking stupid, I still am confused.

It sounded like Sarah was implying that there was some sort of abuse by someone/multiple people at Saban--maybe even by her ex-boyfriend, Saban exec Shuki Levy--and that Vanessa openly acknowledging the wife of someone else at Saban when she's known/worked with Sarah at GH on and off over the years felt like twisting the knife/a slap in the face to Sarah. (And perhaps it could be related to any mistreatment she might have faced at GH, too, something Vanessa might be aware of, maybe in connection to Mo.) 

And then I mentioned Shell because of her connection to GH/Saban, and my curiosity over anything she might know here. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, UYI said:

See my above post. I tried my best to sort things out. :)

Hee!  Thanks, Uyi.  :-)

I am still confused over what Saban even is, and trying to figure out what happened to SB and why she quit acting and called out all those nets and MB and why she's apparently been blackballed and...  Essentially everything.  ::g::  Time to deploy Google.

• Love 1

Saban was/is a television production company that made both Power Rangers and VR Troopers, which Brown worked on.

Unless this particular Saban (the wife i mean) did something to her i don't know the issue.  Even if Haim Saban himself did something, how is VM being nice to his wife a betrayal?  so convoluted.  

Like, I want to know, but the way she's just randomly throwing shit out there is more harmful to her than anyone else, it makes her seem vindictive and a little nuts.  Not that she necessarily is, but it looks weird.

• Love 5

@Fellaway 

I think Sarah Brown was implying that Saban and her ex harrassed her in some way, and when she started telling her co stars when she was working on Cold Case word got to Leslie Moonves that she was saying this stuff and he requested her to be fired. 

As for MB she had a post a couple of months ago that MB and SB made twice as much as her, so in light of her (as she sees it) being forced to retire she just may be pissy with the guy. While I don't think MB or SB ever assaulted anyone there have been reports of them acting rather juvenily. There was the whole thing where they teased teen Lindze Letherman about her big boobs, for instance.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 4