Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

I'm so torn between being happy that I'm going to see Lucy/Lynn Herring on Friday or angry that this is the only type of thing the show deigns to use her for.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3

In almost every story, Martines comes into a woman's life as an impressively charming and high-class Hollywood player who dazzles her with money, then establishes a sad backstory, a reason why he can't access his funds right now. He often borrows a relatively modest sum at first, which then increases until the woman feels in way over her head.

He must have a very compelling quality that vanishes when he's on camera on a set. I certainly never saw it on General Hospital or Guiding Light.  

Sympathy for the people he's conned, but not surprised. Anyone remember his tangles with the web site SoapZone, which was one of the popular discussion hubs in the days he was on GH? The details have vanished from my mind over nearly 20 years; I just got a negative impression of him.  

Here's a flashback. When he first got the role of Nikolas in '99, he was keeping another job at a restaurant.  

Edited by Asp Burger
3 hours ago, ulkis said:

https://m.riverfronttimes.com/stlouis/the-hollywood-hustle-stephen-martines-jay-hutchinson-dte-films/Content?oid=15203992

Holy crap. This isn't surprising since I knew he accepted money from a fan for a set tour he never gave, but yeesh. 

Wow.  I remember when Martines scammed some GH fans back in the day. Sad that he has ratcheted his cons up. That poor man. Too bad Martines can't be thrown in prison for fraud.

• Love 1

From the Soap Opera Spy piece linked above:  

Stephen Martines played the part of Nikolas Cassadine / Marcus Taggerton on the daytime drama from 2001 – 2003, and appeared in roughly 156 episodes

Huh? I only remember him playing Nikolas. Réal Andrews played Marcus Taggert (not Taggerton). But IMDb does double-credit Martines. So tthat's where they got it. Is that an IMDb error, or was there some one-episode weirdness I don't remember in which the actors traded roles?

• Love 1

A Variety article about the 55th anniversary, and a quote from Shelly Altman that sent her zooming up my hate list:

http://variety.com/2018/tv/features/general-hospital-55th-anniversary-steve-burton-jacklyn-zeman-frank-valentini-interview-1202735231/

“You can feature Lucas and Brad — two gay men — but [being gay] isn’t their story,” says Altman. “That’s when you have real evolution. Their story doesn’t have to be about becoming who they are or facing prejudices.”

WHO?!?! 

That quote is insane.  Your show doesn't feature two gay men named Lucas (?) and Brad (?), Shelly.  They haven't shared a scene IN OVER A YEAR.  And the Kristina story was also practically non-existent and mostly about how Sonny was cool with it.  That she thinks she's been doing progressive, groundbreaking work with gay characters is just...

Also, fact check, Variety.  Lucas and Brad aren't having a child via surrogate, that would mean one of them was the biological father.  They are adopting.

• Love 11

“The hospital comes up organically,” says Valentini. “That’s why it’s important to populate the hospital with characters we know and love.”

That must be why the only constant nurse character is Liz and the rest of the hospital staff is made up of new characters like Griffin, Finn, Kiki, and Amy. Monica barely counts. 

“We don’t want people to tune into a ‘General Hospital’ that is unfamiliar. It should be that comfort food,” Varni says.

*rage* Seventy to eighty percent of the show's focus now is on new characters that have no history in Port Charles and no connection to legacy.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

“We don’t want people to tune into a ‘General Hospital’ that is unfamiliar. It should be that comfort food,” Varni says.

Holy lack of self awareness, Batman! Are these people high?!

• Love 7
On 3/21/2018 at 8:07 PM, dubbel zout said:

I think it's too late to redeem Franco, and the show needs to stop trying. 

He's a SERIAL KILLER. I don't care if it was another actor playing him when it happened, I don't care about his get-out-of-jail-free tumor. The character is IRREDEEMABLE. Not to mention making Sam believe he raped/impregnated her. (And I'm not even a Sam fan, but that was GROSS.)

If this show wanted Roger Howarth to be viable, he should have NEVER been assigned this dead-end character. As it is, it's too damned late for me.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

That quote is insane.  Your show doesn't feature two gay men named Lucas (?) and Brad (?), Shelly.  They haven't shared a scene IN OVER A YEAR.  And the Kristina story was also practically non-existent and mostly about how Sonny was cool with it.  That she thinks she's been doing progressive, groundbreaking work with gay characters is just...

Also, fact check, Variety.  Lucas and Brad aren't having a child via surrogate, that would mean one of them was the biological father.  They are adopting.

Oops - I forgot, when I was dragging Shelly for the Lucas (who?)/Brad (who?) "story" and the Kristina "story", I forgot to drag her for the transgender "story", which was really about how awesome Joss and Oscar are while we saw the actual kid half a time.  Oh yeah, Shelly, progressive and groundbreaking. #hate

• Love 1
18 hours ago, AyeMada said:

HAhahah..who remembers him when he was on GH? 

I remember back in the good ol' TWoP days I christened him Coltin Scott Conchita Alonzo Steven Fish Taco Martines after he changed his name at least once.

• Love 6

I can see the spoilers now: "Luke reveals that he and Tracy have vigorous heterosexual sex three times a week, and biological son Ethan is their pool boy."

• Love 2

I know that correlation  is not causation but GF suddenly being dropped to only 12 episodes a year in the middle of a major storyline for Laura at the same time that Steve Burton with his big salary and huge screen and storytime comes back is hard to accept as just a coincidence.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, MsChicklet said:

I remember back in the good ol' TWoP days I christened him Coltin Scott Conchita Alonzo Steven Fish Taco Martines after he changed his name at least once.

Hahahahahahahahaha I had forgotten about this. Thank you. I needed this laugh. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I know that correlation  is not causation but GF suddenly being dropped to only 12 episodes a year in the middle of a major storyline for Laura at the same time that Steve Burton with his big salary and huge screen and storytime comes back is hard to accept as just a coincidence.

Soon after RBu was fired and RPW was fired/dumped to recurring.

• Love 1

I think Budig and Watkins were let go because of Burton. GF was dropped six months later. I think putting her on recurring would have happened with or without Burton.

Edited by ulkis

I have a feeling they let go of Genie Francis so they could pay for Max Gail and Laura Wright's boyfriend. While I don't think Max Gail cost a shit ton of money, it money is finite, especially on this show and saw Genie's role the most expendable. So while they keep trying to make Franco and Nina happen, they are more than willing to drop one half of the most successful super couple of all time. 

• Love 10
25 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

JZ/Bobbie just posted a message in reply to one of his tweets. Sounds like it's true. They drop GF to recurring days before the 14,000th episode and drop Kin the day of the 55th anniversary episode. Frank et. all. have no sense of optics, do they?

Unless he left on his own, this is quite pathetic for GH.   Such bad PR.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Hater said:

Did Kin Shrinner get fired on the day of the 55th anniversary show or has he been hacked?

https://twitter.com/kinshriner/status/979885734449397760

I saw something about this on Twitter and had to run here to say what the actual fuck.  Does Laura Wright have a cousin Frank needed a ten-twelve episode paycheck for?  Because I have no idea what other reason there could be to not keep Scotty on recurring like he's been.  I mean, they seem to have used him the most of the recurring corp because of his connection to stupid Franco and even THAT's not enough for Frank?  

I'm just...Scotty is one of very few bright spots for me and Kin, no matter the shit they give him, is present, energized, and game.  This sucks.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I saw something about this on Twitter and had to run here to say what the actual fuck.  Does Laura Wright have a cousin Frank needed a ten-twelve episode paycheck for?  Because I have no idea what other reason there could be to not keep Scotty on recurring like he's been.  I mean, they seem to have used him the most of the recurring corp because of his connection to stupid Franco and even THAT's not enough for Frank?  

I'm just...Scotty is one of very few bright spots for me and Kin, no matter the shit they give him, is present, energized, and game.  This sucks.

The show is a legit cesspool in how it treats the majority of their actors.

• Love 2

Even Wally has no idea what is going on and others seem to think it's an April Fools Joke. But Jackie messaged Kin and that's not a funny joke when viewers are still upset about how Genie was treated.

On 3/26/2018 at 10:12 PM, Ambrosefolly said:

I will say that it was mostly right, but I have to disagree about the point about Sonny and Jason somehow being "better" than Franco. It is the Franco's fans only valid point that justifies Franco exsistence. For one thing, we have seen Sonny kill an innocent person, AJ and he now walks around like he is the second coming. And while the people that Sonny and Jason have killed, together and seperately haven't exactly been girl of boy scouts, they were not justified into repeatdly taking the law into their own hands to hunt down, kidnap and kill whoever was in their way at the time. 

The other problem with the article is that the author claims that "no one" likes the character of Franco but 3/4 of the thing is devoted to refuting the arguments made by Friz/Franco fans as to why he should stay on canvas.  Which means that the worst is happening - he's gaining a fanbase, one willing to speak up loudly in his defense.  The same thing happened with Kelly Monaco - her character was universally hated until she hooked up with Jason, then suddenly she had a rabid fanbase that would brook no talk of the character being dumped.  (Monaco, like Howarth, was also treated to to an endless run of stories designed to turn her into a put-upon victim/heroine - the continual fluffing was disgusting).

This is why EPs bring on pets and stubbornly refuse to get rid of them and keep them on the canvas for year after year.  Because they know that chances are this tactic will work.  It worked with Maurice Benard, it worked with Laura Wright, it worked with Kelly Monaco, and now it's working with Todd Howarth.

Edited by yowsah1
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Even Wally has no idea what is going on and others seem to think it's an April Fools Joke. But Jackie messaged Kin and that's not a funny joke when viewers are still upset about how Genie was treated.

It doesn't sound like JZ actually talked to KSh. I don't know if this can be confirmed quite yet. KSh is sometimes weird on twitter.

28 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I mean, they seem to have used him the most of the recurring corp because of his connection to stupid Franco and even THAT's not enough for Frank?

Not if RoHo might need an emmy reel. Although I don't think they'd kill Scotty off.

Edited by ulkis
7 hours ago, ulkis said:

Not if RoHo might need an emmy reel. Although I don't think they'd kill Scotty off.

Oh gawd maybe Scotty is still going under the bus for this whole Franco/Drew/Betsy/BJ and the Bear mess after all.

Meanwhile, I can't even imagine the rage stroke I would have if they killed Scotty and still refused to allow Serena within the city limits.  Or even worse, she was allowed into town, but spent her time reassuring Franco that Scotty totallly wuved him, BARF.

Edited by TeeVee329

Every time I see that someone from the show has posted a picture of themselves with Frank and hashtag it with #bestbossever I'm convinced they have Stockholm Syndrome. 

Kristina Wagner was very forthcoming during her appearances in NY with Jack Wagner a few weeks back. Frank sounds like a fucking tyrant. People are punished for ad-libbing (she didn't go into detail) and the actors only get their pages so they have no idea what is going on elsewhere on the show unless they watch it. They kind of go into their scenes blind and for the recurring characters that can't be fun. I guess the budget doesn't allow for more script pages to be printed? 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Box305 said:

the actors only get their pages so they have no idea what is going on elsewhere on the show unless they watch it. They kind of go into their scenes blind and for the recurring characters that can't be fun. I guess the budget doesn't allow for more script pages to be printed? 

Keeping tight control of the script pages helps to prevent spoiler leaks.

19 minutes ago, yowsah1 said:

That's fine but not even knowing anything? Like not even having a clue about the storyline and going in blind? That's a little weird. And this isn't the General Hospital of the 80s, 90s or 00s. I don't think anyone is itching to leak spoilers about this version of General Hospital other than the whole "Who's the real Jason!?" nonsense. (Sorry, Frank. *waves to Frank's lackey who probably reads this board*) 

Moving on to the firing of Kin Shriner, holy cow. I saw people talking about it on Twitter and was hoping I was misunderstanding them or that they were misunderstanding Kin. What a low thing to do. But, it's Frank so never put anything past him. Even something this odious. (Again, *waves to Frank's lackey*)

Edited by Box305
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Hater said:

Did Kin Shrinner get fired on the day of the 55th anniversary show or has he been hacked?

https://twitter.com/kinshriner/status/979885734449397760

I think it's true. https://www.inquisitr.com/4848909/kin-shriner-exits-general-hospital-for-good-40-year-veteran-out-as-abc-soap-celebrates-its-55th-anniversary/

I don't have words, except to echo  Lexielily . . . 

On 3/29/2018 at 11:58 PM, LexieLily said:

*rage* Seventy to eighty percent of the show's focus now is on new characters that have no history in Port Charles and no connection to legacy.

… and retire to the barge. I'll be the one shooting skeet with FV's face on them. 

• Love 3

I’ve been meaning to comment on this for a long time so I will now. I love that Monica is still on the show but am distracted by the way she always takes a deep breath before she speaks. Then takes another one. I know she’s older and has trouble walking so I wonder if she has asthma or something? And why do Sam and Drew keep asking her if she can “babysit” their kids when she’s old and still working? Does Monica ask her staff to take care of the kids because we know she’s not doing it. I just don’t get this whole thing.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, ulkis said:

Not if RoHo might need an emmy reel.

I don't think he cares about that stuff.

1 hour ago, yowsah1 said:

The show itself telegraphs what's going to happen. I can't remember the last time I was truly surprised by a story.

Shriner logged over 500 episodes of General Hospital over his long reign on the show

Forty years and only 500 episodes? I know he hasn't been a regular for years, but is that all?

(edited)
30 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Forty years and only 500 episodes? I know he hasn't been a regular for years, but is that all?

The article says that 500+ episodes number comes from IMDb and it's clear they're missing most of his episodes pre-2001.

You'd also think the article would mention that Scotty was popular enough to be one of the main leads of the "Port Charles" spin-off.

Also weighing in, someone who knows about getting shafted by "General Hospital":

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4
On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎29 at 12:41 PM, ulkis said:

https://m.riverfronttimes.com/stlouis/the-hollywood-hustle-stephen-martines-jay-hutchinson-dte-films/Content?oid=15203992

Holy crap. This isn't surprising since I knew he accepted money from a fan for a set tour he never gave, but yeesh. 

This is incredible.  But, as the article says, he is a D list actor so it doesn't get any publicity.  It would make a great movie storyline though.