2. GH 773,000 (+185,000/+151,000)
3. B&B 656,000 (-39,000/-22,000)
4. DAYS 597,000 (+21,000/+47,000)

Women 18-49 rating
1. Y&R 1.3/8 (same/-.1)
2. GH 1.2/8 (+.3/+.2)
3. B&B 1.0/7 (-.1/-.1)
4. DAYS 0.9/6 (same/same)

Great week for GH, probably due to the Britt reveal. 

Edited by Stinger97
(edited)

Can't discount LiRic...

Also...weren't ratings down a lot the last 3 weeks? So ratings wise, doesn't this just bring GH back to status quo?

Edited by BetteBoo
(edited)

The number to the far right of all the data indicates how much, year over year, each particular show is up or down in that particular measure. So, over this time last year, GH is up 304k in total viewers, as well as up 151k in viewers 18-49. Additionally, according to Soap Opera Network, here are the last 3 weeks in ratings for GH: 

March 17 - 21:

• Total Viewers, GH 2,641,000 (+41,000/+190,000)
  • Viewers 18-49, GH 588,000 (+14,000/-17,000)

March 10 - 14: 

• Total Viewers, GH 2,600,000 (-372,000/+62,000)
  • Viewers 18-49, GH 574,000 (-156,000/-30,000)

March 3 - 7: 

• Total Viewers, GH 2,972,000 (+95,000/+264,000)
  • Viewers 18-49, GH 730,000 (+43,000/+115,000)

So the show had an up week last week, but has been fluctuating quite a bit lately. However, better to recoup the viewers it had lost rather than lose some more. And it's always great to see it up over 3 million total viewers. 

Edited by Stinger97

I'm glad too Stinger. There is a lot about the show I'm not liking right now but I don't want to see GH lose viewers.

What I want to see are the numbers a week or so after AJ'S death. Do you know when they will be out?

• Love 1

Courtesy of TVBTN

“General Hospital” soared to its best May Sweep in 7 years in Total Viewers (3.068 million) and in 3 years in Women 18-49 (747,000/1.2 rating) and Women 25-54 (999,000/1.6 rating) – since May Sweeps 2007 and 2011, respectively – ranking as the #1 show in daytime in Women 18-49 (tied on rating). Further, “General Hospital” stood as the #1 program in Women 18-34 (252,000/0.7 rating), hitting a 4 year high in the demo – since May Sweeps 2010.

While it was an ABC press release and it's their job to spin pretty much any numbers, the actual figures and facts cannot be exaggerated. That is, ABC can't claim the show had its best May Sweep in 7 years if that's not actually the case. I've got some hard numbers for last week, courtesy of Soap Opera Network

Total Viewers
1. Y&R 4,341,000 (-58,000/-181,000)
2. B&B 3,577,000 (+89,000/+163,000)
3. GH 2,909,000 (+113,000/+400,000)
4. DAYS 2,407,000 (-14,000/-106,000)

Women 18-49
1. Y&R 719,000 (+7,000/-203,000)
2. GH 660,000 (+6,000/+56,000)
3. B&B 618,000 (+28,000/-118,000)
4. DAYS 585,000 (-33,000/-49,000)

Keep in mind that the ABC press release was an average of the 4 weeks of May Sweeps, while the above numbers are just for last week. Compared to the same week last year, GH is up 400k in total viewers, as well as 56k in the women 18-49 demo.  

(edited)

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/news/ghs-dominic-zamprogna-on-his-first-daytime-emmy-nomination-emme-rylan-maurice-benard-daytime-emmy-spotlight-interview/2014/06/03/

I feel the same way Dominic feels about Finola/Anna

The scenes she had with Jason Thompson (Patrick) and Kathleen Gati (Obrecht) were great, and the stuff with Kimberly McCullough (Robin) of course, all of that was worthy.   But I think working with someone like her in solving things give us credibility and we are never going to look like bumbling idiots, as long as she is in control.  Finola just commands so much respect as Anna.  She is such a strong powerful woman.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 5

you know it's bad when even Michael Logan speaks up

Michael Logan þ@TVGMLogan 9m

Franco needs to go. Like, asap. Am I right or am I right? #GH @GeneralHospital

Laura Wright ‏@lldubs 2m

@TVGMLogan @GeneralHospital not cool.

Michael Logan ‏@TVGMLogan 22s
Hey @TashaL1976 I didn't say Howarth should go. Surely the marvelous mad minds at #GH can figure out a way 2 keep him. But this is painful.

Maxine ‏@MaxineBennett 14m
@TVGMLogan I have a cool idea. Hosts for the streaming Daytime Emmys, you and me babe. Whadda think? Lol

Michael Logan ‏@TVGMLogan
You @MaxineBennett would make a fantastic Emmy host but now that @lldubs has pronounced me "not cool" I am simply not worthy.

• Love 1

I went to Logan's twitter feed to read more, and I found this from him, too. 

Hee

Why is Silas suddenly such a pathetic wuss? Clearly the balls in this relationship belong to Rip Van Nina. #GH @GeneralHospital

(edited)

Laura Wright really is not very professional these days.

It's not like she told Logan to burn in hell. "Not cool" is rather tame. She puts up with RH's bullshit "acting" without complaining and she hasn't said anything negative about Ron in interviews even though her character is being trashed. I call that being pretty professional..

Edited by LeftPhalange
(edited)

Wow, if Logan is calling them out on the mess that is Franco (even if he's again licking boots three tweets later), you know it's gotten bad.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2

It's not like she told Logan to burn in hell. "Not cool" is rather tame. She puts up with RH's bullshit "acting" without complaining and she hasn't said anything negative about Ron in interviews even though her character is being trashed. I call that being pretty professional..

To me being professional would be not responding to Logan's tweet. He said nothing against her. He said he wanted Franco out, so that would affect her storyline, but it's not as if he has any power over the show. Jumping in that way seems very reactionary to me. 

• Love 1

Even for a cheerleader like Logan, there seems to be limits. And if anything, Franco is getting worse. His scenes just take me out of the show completely. I liked RoHo a lot but his Franco is a random mess.

I like Laura Wright but she needs to take lessons from Parry Shen on how to do social media. I can see where her character has nothing going outside of Franco and they've brought in a couple of powerhouse actresses with heavy story but it's not a good move to alienate press or admonish them publically unless they are being inappropriate and Logan wasn't.

• Love 3

I'm sure LW's "not cool" tweet won her a couple points with RC, & maybe that's what she was trying to do.  MW & MSt are considered "gets" for the show, & she may just be doing what she thinks she must to keep her position on the show.  Having said that, I don't think she really has anything to worry about.  I don't see Ava lasting more than a year (if the show has that long), & I think there's a good chance Nina will be gone by December.

• Love 2

I'm sure LW's "not cool" tweet won her a couple points with RC, & maybe that's what she was trying to do.  MW & MSt are considered "gets" for the show, & she may just be doing what she thinks she must to keep her position on the show.  Having said that, I don't think she really has anything to worry about.  I don't see Ava lasting more than a year (if the show has that long), & I think there's a good chance Nina will be gone by December.

I think you're right there, OnceSane.  And she has been kissing up to FrankenRon since they go there.  She probably realize, if RH goes, there ain't much left keeping her on the show, since she barely interacts with her kids, her mother or her brother.

• Love 1

Ratings for the Week of 6/2 - 6/6 (courtesy SON)

For the week of June 2-6, 2014, ABC’s “General Hospital” ranked as the week’s #1 program in daytime among Women 18-49 (680,000/1.1 rating – tied on rating) and placed an ultra-competitive #2 in Women 25-54 (909,000/1.5 rating), rising to 8-week highs in the target demos – since week of 4/7/14, per Nielsen Media Research ratings data.

“GH” set a 21-week high in Total Viewers (3.1 million) – since week of 1/6/14 – with the week placing among the series’ Top 5 weeks in nearly 6-and-a-half years (dating back to 1/28/08). The soap attracted the biggest year to year gains of any program in daytime in Total Viewers (+24% – 3.1 million vs. 2.5 million) and of any daytime drama in Women 18-34 (+24% – 216,000 vs. 174,000), Women 18-49 (+22% – 680,000 vs. 557,000) and Women 25-54 (+20% – 909,000 vs. 757,000).

(edited)

Can someone explain these ratings to me as if I'm a crackhead with earrings and a bad haircut?!?  

How is such utter crap bringing in these numbers?!?

Eta: because earnings and earrings are too very different things.  I blame any and all grammatical and spelling errors on the tay-keeey-yaaah. 

Edited by Tiger
Can someone explain these ratings to me as if I'm a crackhead with earnings and a bad haircut?!? 

How is such utter crap bringing in these numbers?!?

Kind of like Alice falling down the rabbit hole. Black is white, up is down, and shit like RC's GH is drawing okay numbers.

I don't understand it, either. It's depressing.

I do feel bad for you guys who are lifers, I know how it feels as I cannot watch that piece-o-crap known as Y&R b/c I care too much and it is ruined.

GH OTOH I find highly entertaining, b/c to me it is not serious. It is like one of Franco's crapy drawings just one click off realistic. Since I'm one of the people who are included in the new higher numbers it could be that there are more people like me. Like a bad accident I just can't look away.

ewww....did I really just use Franco in my example? Okay maybe I'm just touched in the head.

• Love 2

Although I think the show is mostly terrible but I a) still watch it,

This is me. There are times I go on the barge & stay a week, a month or more, since I came back to this dreck in 2005. I can't seem to make a clean break. I blame DVR, the FF button & Sonny.

• Love 2

Although I think the show is mostly terrible but I a) still watch it, and b) usually enjoy it. So who knows.

I will usually always find at least one thing I enjoy, even if it's a little thing like Sam's dress at Danny's birthday. But, I'm actually starting to get to the point where the characters I enjoy/like outnumber the ones that I don't. That's huge. They might not always be written well, but I can always enjoy the acting then too.

This should go in the UO thread, but I think the cast as a whole is extremely talented.

• Love 2
(edited)

I do feel bad for you guys who are lifers, I know how it feels as I cannot watch that piece-o-crap known as Y&R b/c I care too much and it is ruined.

GH OTOH I find highly entertaining, b/c to me it is not serious.

This makes complete sense to me.  If I didn't have a history with this show, I might enjoy laughing at some of the trainwreck. 

I could safely forget about the show in the early 2000s, when it was all Sonny and Jason and one of the NewCarlys and I just had no feelings about the show one way or the other anymore.    But then they messed around so much with the history, and they brought back Scorpio and disrespected him, and what they did to Robin was so, so gross, and they've ruined my girl Anna, and for that someone must pay.  Someone must pay!!  [insert dramatic soap opera music here - dun dun DUN!!]

Or, y'know, I just will never watch a live episode again. 

But I can understand why others feel differently, and why the ratings might be fine.  

Edited by SlovakPrincess

I will usually always find at least one thing I enjoy, even if it's a little thing like Sam's dress at Danny's birthday. But, I'm actually starting to get to the point where the characters I enjoy/like outnumber the ones that I don't. That's huge. They might not always be written well, but I can always enjoy the acting then too.

This should go in the UO thread, but I think the cast as a whole is extremely talented.

I completely agree. And there are some characters on the show (Nathan, Morgan, Ava most of the time) that I just truly adore.

GH OTOH I find highly entertaining, b/c to me it is not serious. It is like one of Franco's crapy drawings just one click off realistic. Since I'm one of the people who are included in the new higher numbers it could be that there are more people like me. Like a bad accident I just can't look away.

This is me. I mean I consciously know a lot of the stuff is terrible, but I still enjoy it anyway. The UCG factor of GH alone is amazing.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wasn't Hillary a FOJ (Friend of Jill)? Thought I remember reading that while Jill was doing her part to run OLTL into the ground she was buddy-buddy with HBS, Cat Hickland and Laurence Lau. So I didn't take it as a dig on anyone so much as kissing Jill's ass.

Edited by dmeets
(edited)

I don't know that Hillary would ever make that kind of attack in public. She was no fan of JFP's era. She has made it clear in a series of increasingly-candid interviews over the years, the last one in Jeff Giles's book, that she hated what JFP did to her character with the Sam storyline and wanted to be killed off over it. But she also knew it was done to facilitate cementing Sam and the Rappaports on that show. So in that sense, JFP was certainly canny and calculating. I think people may just be reading a bit too much inference into it vis a vis any connection to Ron and Frank, but who knows.

Laurence Lau was never a FOJ, for the record - he was the Sam recast. The moment Jill left OLTL, her male star and former lover, Kale Browne, lost his protection from the network, which was not a fan. He was immediately fired and recast by Gary Tomlin.

Edited by jsbt

I always expect the writing to be a certain level of ridiculous, and I think the writers actually enjoy straddling that ridiculous line, which entertains me. I haven't enjoyed GH this much since the late 90s. It's got plenty of problems, but after living through GH of the 2000s, anything feels like a breath of fresh air.

• Love 2

I'm still livid with RC & team for killing my AJ, but I am grateful for the ratings.  Whatever they're doing seems to be working, and I'm just so glad that my show is still alive.  

I sometimes feel like a victim of Stockholm Syndrome, but I love this steaming pile of crap.

• Love 1
(edited)

Canonizing Tony Geary is Logan's stock in trade - has been since the days of my tweenhood, on Pure Soap on E!. He did used to ask him tougher questions, though. He used to ask everyone tougher questions.

It's fun to play that but it's been really difficult for the other actors, particularly for Jane Elliot [Luke's wife, Tracy]. Fluke's behavior is so obviously different from Luke and so extreme that you wonder why Tracy is buying it, but I think Jane has handled it well by drawing upon her character's vulnerability and deep need to be loved. That softens the blow a bit, but it's certainly been tricky.

No fucking kidding. I feel bad for Jane Elliot and I'm long since fed up with Tracy being made an idiot day after day.

I cannot believe he's gone til October. At this point, with Fluke/Bill in the middle of everything, that is a bit much. I know Frank is very good at working with brief runs or vacations and dropping shit in and I'm sure he'll do that, but this already feels like it's been going on a year. If not for his operation, the minute he said he wanted to re-up after all, I would've said, 'great - we'll have you all year this time, please.' And I know Tony Geary is really trying with Fluke - I can see him doing all the things he's talking about - but honestly, onscreen a lot of it just plays like either burlesque or like the creepy old owner of the abandoned carnival, out to get the Scooby Gang. It's not very subtle; he's obviously evil and at its best it's still a tad cartoonish. He's a better actor than that.

Is it coincidence he started making noise about leaving around the time Laura was back into things full swing with Luke? Who knows.

ETA: I fucked up - I totally spaced even though I had read the passage in the interview all about Tony Geary's back issues and subsequent operations which led him to take six months off so he could get properly back on his feet. That he is totally right to do and I hope he looks a lot better next time he's onscreen. I just wish he didn't often seem to take that amount of time off in previous years.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1

I'm glad/mad that KA and JE were grossed out and annoyed, respectively. one one hand, I'm mad for the actresses that they have to play this material but glad at least that they are in fact actually bothered with it because KA especially was all "woohoo I love with Geary" on twitter.

They said, "Great! What do you want to do?" I told them, "I'd like a story when Luke is proactive rather than reactive. I want him to cause problems for people, rather than helping them solve problems. I want to see a side of Luke we've never seen."

No! You don't say! Who knew Geary wanted that. Also laughing at the idea that Luke has helped anyone lately at all. That time he ran over his grandson and refused to change anything about his lifestyle was oh-so-helpful.

• Love 2

I don't mind the Kiki angle because this character is a predator and a villain - I mind that they sort of went at it constantly, week after week, and then played it more for laughs. I don't feel bad for Kristen playing that; she was the heroine being victimized by a bad guy, it happens on a soap opera. Had they played it more straight it could've been genuinely scary. See also the Nina twist, which I think fell apart pretty fast this week, though I hope it might recover.

The JE/Tracy issue is where I really feel bad. Tracy was never this stupid. She is desperate for love and for Luke's devotion, but she is not this foolish.

• Love 1