Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

That just made me laugh.  Hard.  I needed that laugh.  I'm sorry, but a block of wood is not better.  He doesn't undermine his scene partners or draw focus or ham it up or what the hell ever because he doesn't know what he's doing.  Maybe he's improved.  I don't know.  I don't watch his scenes anymore because it was just too embarrassing to watch him.

Eh, I would rather watch Paevey not know what the hell he's doing than have to subject my eyeballs to Geary, Benard, and Howarth, who ostensibly do know what they're doing. Because if they know what they're doing, why do they suck at it? At least RP isn't subjecting us to some ridic accent.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 2

I was reading the Blind Items list on Daytime Confidential and several of the items sound like they could be about GH:

This soap opera scribe is setting the stage for a huge disaster storyline. Will there be casualties when everything comes crashing down? It's possible Ron has finally realized the cast is too bloated, but this is probably about Y&R since Jill Phelps is there and Chuck Pratt is the new head writer.

This veteran soap diva is not thrilled about her current storyline. She’s usually a team player, but has been making noise of late. Wouldn't be surprised if this is Jane Elliot.

One popular soap princess has taken her sweet time in warming up to her new leading man. Considering how long she tends to sit on the backburner, you’d think she’d be happy to have a hot new storyline! Several commenters speculated that this is about Rebecca Herbst.

It pisses one showrunner off royally when he or she hears about actors skipping out on fans at events. I don't have any theories about this one. Someone said it could be about Ron and/or Frank.

One popular soap princess has taken her sweet time in warming up to her new leading man. Considering how long she tends to sit on the backburner, you’d think she’d be happy to have a hot new storyline! Several commenters speculated that this is about Rebecca Herbst.

If they are referring to her pairing with Billy Miller, then I don't blame ReHe, since JaSam is probably going to be end game. 

If it is her, then I'm impressed with the actress no matter how I feel about Liz. I would never know she feels that way based on what I see on screen.  Which is how it should be, but sometimes you can tell when an actor is not happy with a pairing/story line.

• Love 4

If it is her, then I'm impressed with the actress no matter how I feel about Liz. I would never know she feels that way based on what I see on screen.  Which is how it should be, but sometimes you can tell when an actor is not happy with a pairing/story line.

I was going to say the same thing.  If she's not fond of BM, you'd never know by their onscreen interactions.  Some of her co-stars should take note.  I do agree with Ambrosefolly, though, if she does have an issue, I'm guessing it's that she knows she'll just be JaSam roadkill here. 

• Love 3

I was going to say the same thing. If she's not fond of BM, you'd never know by their onscreen interactions. Some of her co-stars should take note. I do agree with Ambrosefolly, though, if she does have an issue, I'm guessing it's that she knows she'll just be JaSam roadkill here.

I think Rebecca Herbst started freezing Sean Kanan out in their scenes together when Tyler Christopher returned. There was a notable difference in her and no difference in him.

• Love 1

I don't believe it is Rebecca Herbst. From all I've ever read, or has been said about her, from her co-stars over the years, she is very professional.

And the original post about this is more suited to the rumors thread, I would think, since it seems to be a blind item. And nothing concrete going behind the scenes.

But that's just me. I fucking hate blind items. They're nothing but rumors and gossip.

• Love 1

Also this got me to thinking, are Ryan/Lucas and Parry/Brad on recurring status or contract? Not that it'll really help with their serious lack of screen time but now I'm curious, heh.

Both actors have recurring status.

I think it just came out, because I was just coming back here to link to it. Honestly, I find MF's asskissing questions worse than Ron or Frank so far . . . poor Ron though. Sorry Ron, the Fluke story stalled and it didn't come back. 

MICHAEL:

The casting additions to General Hospital in 2014 have been simply stunning with Michelle Stafford, Billy Miller, and Donna Mills all joining the cast.

shut up Michael Fairman!

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3

Wait, wait . . . 

Frank had sent me a tape to watch and said, “Mark Teschner (casting director, GH) found this great guy.  We don’t have a character in mind for him yet, but look at this tape, and what do you think?”

So they saw him and they MADE UP Nathan for him instead of having had him come to GH? lord.

• Love 2

The KMc stuff has me headed for the barge. Just ridiculous how Frank is borderline blaming her schedule and her other interests as if HE doesn't have the power to be like, "OK. This is too difficult. We're gonna have to write you off unless you can commit."

And RON. "Most of the audience knows Patrick has to move on blah blah blah." OF COURSE. We get that. What I DON'T get is why he's continuing to USE Robin and KMc to get drama whenever necessary and to string her fans along in the process. If Scrubs actually officially ended, Robin wouldn't have to be continually victimized and held captive for it to happen. So cut the shit, Ron.

That happens a lot on soaps - there are many, many examples but the first I thought of is years ago, when ABCD got wind of Thorsten Kaye and someone at the network gave OLTL 24 hours to come up with the Patrick Thornhart character for him before they offered him to AMC - but usually with dynamic, strong performers, as opposed to, uh, Ryan Paevey the really nice guy.

I looooooooove Anders Hove, but if it's "extraordinarily expensive" to get him on, then leave him off if you're just gonna bring him back for stupidity. Of course, than the money will probably just be spent on the next song for Kristen Alderson to sing at the Nurses' Ball.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3

Re: the overuse of masks.

It was so successful when we did the mask with Faison.   I think it was at that point I got some people from the network going, “A mask? Are you sure?” (Laughs)  But I will say, it didn’t hurt that Mission Impossible did a high-tech latex mask, and so it doesn’t have to be silly.  So we did that, and then the one with Obrecht was going to be an homage to the Faison one, and then when I came up with this way to play up the red herring being Faison in the Fluke story, I basically promised that this would be the last one! (Laughs)  That said my other mantra is, “Never say, never.”

So hopefully maybe fingers crossed no more masks.  And oh Ron, if you think your masks were in the same ballpark as the ones from "Mission: Impossible"...

But it's an interesting remark.  The masks were much more successful the first two times and Ron knew he was dipping back into the till one too many times with the Faison-as-Fluke fake reveal, but he did it anyway.  That's why he needs someone to rein him in.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

That happens a lot on soaps - there are many, many examples but the first I thought of is years ago, when ABCD got wind of Thorsten Kaye and someone at the network gave OLTL 24 hours to come up with the Patrick Thornhart character for him before they offered him to AMC - but usually with dynamic, strong performers, as opposed to, uh, Ryan Paevey the really nice guy.

Oh no, I know that, I was just commenting on it because like you said, it was for Ryan Paevey. Most recent example I can remember for GH is Nathan Parsons, who they made up Ethan for. Of course even he came to the studio and auditioned for another role first (for the part of Dante). In the interview here they said that they saw Ryan's audition for some other show.

Edited by ulkis

Oh no, I know that, I was just commenting on it because like you said, it was for Nathan Paevey. Most recent example I can remember for GH is Nathan Parsons, who they made up Ethan for. Of course even he came to the studio and auditioned for another role first (for the part of Dante).

That just makes me think of Tony Geary watching the Dante audition, licking his thin lips and rubbing his mandibles together like the giant cockroach on Family Guy. "Good. Good."

• Love 4

I still can't believe they had her sing a random number with literally zero setup in story. Out of nowhere she appears onstage so Kristen Alderson can sing.

With all her frrrrrrriiiiiiiieeeeeeennnnnndddddssssss.  Including her cousin Lucas (who?), who she never spoke to before or since.

• Love 5

That just makes me think of Tony Geary watching the Dante audition, licking his thin lips and rubbing his mandibles together like the giant cockroach on Family Guy. "Good. Good."

I can't hear yoooooooooou, la la la.

• Love 2

Oh no, I know that, I was just commenting on it because like you said, it was for Ryan Paevey. Most recent example I can remember for GH is Nathan Parsons, who they made up Ethan for. Of course even he came to the studio and auditioned for another role first (for the part of Dante).

It amuses me that NP read for Dante.  If Lisa LoCicero sat on Maurice Benard's shoulders, together they would be as tall as Nathan Parsons.

• Love 4

If only I could scrub this mental image from my brain....

• Love 2

I looooooooove Anders Hove, but if it's "extraordinarily expensive" to get him on, then leave him off if you're just gonna bring him back for stupidity. Of course, than the money will probably just be spent on the next song for Kristen Alderson to sing at the Nurses' Ball.

Of course, they talk about what a financial hardship it is to bring Anders over from Denmark, while GH has a ridiculously bloated cast full of "actors" who should have been booted ages ago or never hired in the first place. AH is worth every penny they spend on him.

• Love 7

Interesting that money is a problem when it comes to bringing on a guy who plays a character with what?  A 20 year connection to the show? but money doesn't come into play when it comes to getting new pets (especially if they had a connection to a former soap as if they were in some type of competition with them.)

• Love 2

Interesting that money is a problem when it comes to bringing on a guy who plays a character with what?  A 20 year connection to the show? but money doesn't come into play when it comes to getting new pets (especially if they had a connection to a former soap as if they were in some type of competition with them.)

To be fair, I think dealing with international work visas and the like is a whole different ball of wax.

• Love 2

"The whole reason we had Sonny kill AJ was to have that week."

Well, that explains everything.  Let's kill off AJ for the future reveal.  One week, and it was good, but then the show fell into suck again.  I truly despise Ron and Frank.  Soapmakers, my ass. 

• Love 7

If only I could scrub this mental image from my brain....

Good luck! I watched too many Luke and "Dodge" scenes for that to ever happen.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 2

Well, that explains everything.  Let's kill off AJ for the future reveal.  One week, and it was good, but then the show fell into suck again.  I truly despise Ron and Frank.  Soapmakers, my ass.

This show does everything for the big reveal and then after its just nothing. 

RC said:

We giveth and we taketh away!

Bite me Ron.

• Love 1

I need B&B to win Best Soap Emmy this year. I need SK to win an Emmy this year. And I want everyone to tag Ron in the posting.

Bastard. You killed a legacy character for fucking ratings? One fucking week? And no, as much as I like Billy Miller, he's not playing Jason. No one knows wtf he's playing.

• Love 2

I think Billy Miller is playing a man who doesn't know who he is but has certain intuitive skills and attitudes. I think he does a good job with it, and I think he 100% has sold the brainwashing thing so far as something a lot more understated than the old Zombie Lucky routine. That would have been a disaster, if they'd brought that back.

• Love 2

About the little kids:

For me, it’s been such a thrill to write for these four little youngsters: Nicolas, Brooklyn, Michael Leone (Cameron) and Hannah Nordberg (Josslyn) that are somehow all able to handle the material.  I think it brings such a nice sweet quality to the show and that is important for a multi-generational genre.

Yes, keeping the canvas multi-generational is important.  But I'm sorry, shoring up the disaster zones that are the teen and twenty-something slivers of the canvas needs to take priority.

• Love 6

Writing kids like they are in their 30s does not bring a sweet quality to the show.  It brings an annoying quality to it.  How can he say that with the way he writes Spencer??

• Love 6

The KMc stuff has me headed for the barge. Just ridiculous how Frank is borderline blaming her schedule and her other interests as if HE doesn't have the power to be like, "OK. This is too difficult. We're gonna have to write you off unless you can commit."

And RON. "Most of the audience knows Patrick has to move on blah blah blah." OF COURSE. We get that. What I DON'T get is why he's continuing to USE Robin and KMc to get drama whenever necessary and to string her fans along in the process. If Scrubs actually officially ended, Robin wouldn't have to be continually victimized and held captive for it to happen. So cut the shit, Ron.

Ron trying to sell that this crap is Patrick "moving on" is complete BS. This isn't a story line about Patrick moving on, it's about setting up the most awkward conflict possible when Robin returns and Jason gets his memory back.  

Typical Ron.  Kill off a legacy character (one who was just resurrected from his first "death") so you can get one good week out of it several months down the road. Never mind the many relationships you could have explored over the next few years as AJ rejoins his family. Let's kill him so we can do a good week of story about Sonny and Carly.  

• Love 2

Typical Ron.  Kill off a legacy character (one who was just resurrected from his first "death") so you can get one good week out of it several months down the road. Never mind the many relationships you could have explored over the next few years as AJ rejoins his family. Let's kill him so we can do a good week of story about Sonny and Carly.

This is the bottom line and what is most infuriating.  It always about Sonny and Carly.  This story isn't even about Michael claiming his roots.  Its to give Sonny and Carly something to whine and bitch about. 

I keep reading how getting Michael Q has made AJ's death worth it. Not in my book since none of this is really about Michael.  Just like AJ he is nothing but a prop.

• Love 2

Ron trying to sell that this crap is Patrick "moving on" is complete BS. This isn't a story line about Patrick moving on, it's about setting up the most awkward conflict possible when Robin returns and Jason gets his memory back.

I love how Ronnie essentially said "Patrick's on the right path now," as if Patrick is doing anything but follow Sam around and try to hook up with her.

And LOL @ him saying Scrubs WERE a popular couple, but most everyone has accepted him with someone else. So, why do you need Robin to blow up anything? You can do the Jason reveal without her and just have Sam/Patty/Jason conflict. Again, he's completely using Robin/Scrubs fans and it's ridic.

I love how Ronnie essentially said "Patrick's on the right path now," as if Patrick is doing anything but follow Sam around and try to hook up with her.

And LOL @ him saying Scrubs WERE a popular couple, but most everyone has accepted him with someone else. So, why do you need Robin to blow up anything? You can do the Jason reveal without her and just have Sam/Patty/Jason conflict. Again, he's completely using Robin/Scrubs fans and it's ridic.

If the Scrubs popularity was a thing of the past, Ron wouldn't need to essentially build Samtrick on Robin's back.  And since we're all but certain that Sam will reunite with Jason once he gets his memory back, this pairing is nothing but plot point.  That he's trying to pretend it's anything else is insulting to viewers.  He probably thinks that, if he keeps insisting this couple is the real deal, blah blah blah, we'll all be shocked, shocked I tell you, when it ends up exactly where we all see it heading. 

And this just occurred to me - the blind about an actress who hasn't warmed up to her new leading man - there was some assumption it was RH/Liz not being into BM/Jake or maybe someone at Days, but I wonder if it's KeMo with BM.  Some viewers have noticed how hard she's trying to make Samtrick work, maybe she wants to keep working with JT and doesn't want to be paired up with BM for whatever reason?  And, like the rest of us, she can see the JaSam writing on the wall, so she's trying to subvert it?  

Edited by KerleyQ
  • Love 3

This is the bottom line and what is most infuriating.  It always about Sonny and Carly.  This story isn't even about Michael claiming his roots.  Its to give Sonny and Carly something to whine and bitch about.

I don't think Ron killed off AJ to give Sonny and Carly something to bitch about, Carly and Sonny complained for like two days and now Sonny is in prison dealing with the bidness and Carly is presumably moving on and will be involved with Ava's demon baby. I think he did it so he could do this prison story with Sonny/Johnny/Franco.

If the Scrubs popularity was a thing of the past, Ron wouldn't need to essentially build Samtrick on Robin's back. And since we're all but certain that Sam will reunite with Jason once he gets his memory back, this pairing is nothing but plot point. That he's trying to pretend it's anything else is insulting to viewers. He probably thinks that, if he keeps insisting this couple is the real deal, blah blah blah, we'll all be shocked, shocked I tell you, when it ends up exactly where we all see it heading.

Everything Ron says contradicts what he says two seconds before. And I just can't stand the way he talks about Robin, like she's some day player who has some "information" that she'll spill and leave.

And this just occurred to me - the blind about an actress who hasn't warmed up to her new leading man - there was some assumption it was RH/Liz not being into BM/Jake or maybe someone at Days, but I wonder if it's KeMo with BM. Some viewers have noticed how hard she's trying to make Samtrick work, maybe she wants to keep working with JT and doesn't want to be paired up with BM for whatever reason? And, like the rest of us, she can see the JaSam writing on the wall, so she's trying to subvert it?

I stopped trying to analyze actors a long time ago, but I certainly think she's very touchy feely with JT. And I only notice it because it's not reciprocated.