Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, ulkis said:

But I agree with you that I don't think someone else's enjoyment of the show matters more than my own.

Well, to be fair, if they're enjoying it, and you're not, then the obvious solution seems to be to stop watching and let them keep enjoying it.  I'm not saying that any of us should continue to watch crap because someone else is enjoying what we think is crap, but, rather, that we are all free to stop watching the crap and leave it to the people who are enjoying it.  (Or, alternately, we can hate watch it and enjoy trashing it to others who are hate watching it.)  Those who are enjoying the show would likely return that sentiment and say that they don't think that your lack of enjoyment of the show is more important than their enjoyment of the show.  

In general, I've just never really understood the idea of hoping (and, in some cases, campaigning) for a show to be canceled.  Why should someone who enjoys watching a show lose it just because you (general "you" not speaking to you directly, ULKIS) don't like it?  It's not like any of us are obligated to continue watching, and our only hope to be free of that obligation is cancellation.  

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, KerleyQ said:

seems to be to stop watching and let them keep enjoying it.  

Or we can ask for better. 

Wanting cancellation won't bring cancellation. If we stop watching? That will.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 2

Sorry folks, the last note was meant for another thread. Even we mods make mistakes. But while I am here. I think this should be taken to the Wish List thread. This controversial cancellation discussion is why that thread has the subheading of "Hoping For A Cure (Or Not)". As in, all opinions about GH's fate being respected. And what the thread is designed for.

So let's let the Press thread go back to press. Please and thank you!

• Love 3

Soap Digest's Best and Worst for GH

Worst Payoff : Paul is the killer, GH 
Best Wedding : Jason/Sam 
Worst wedding: Brad/Lucas 
Best Breakip: Nina/Franco 
Worst Breakup: Julexis 
Best New Pairing : Dillon/Kiki 
Best New Character: Griffin 
Most Ruined Char actor: Michael
Worst Goodbye: Nikolas 
Best Family Drama: House Corinthii 
Most Improved show: GH

Honorable mentions:

Best Frenemies : Monic/Tracy 
Best Shorterm Comeback: Jax, Robin 
Best use of History: Valentin 
We hardly knew ye: Joe

2016 Words they never want to hear again : Embryo, Paragon, Derisifol.

Huh. Wonder why they picked Michael for most ruined. I'd go with Julian or Anna. 

9 hours ago, ulkis said:

Huh. Wonder why they picked Michael for most ruined. I'd go with Julian or Anna. 

Julian definitely had the most 180 turnabout of any character this year - marrying his wife in February, holding a knife to her throat in June - so, yeah, I'd have gone with him too.

I mean, Michael has been ruined by his complete return to the Corinthos fold, but that started back in mid-2015, it's not really a new, ruining development.

Good choice on Lucas/Brad being the worst wedding, especially given the ridiculous way Jelly talked it up.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, ulkis said:

I'm surprised they could choose, given that no story has even a satisfactory payoff.

Well, yeah, it's the only family on the show that gets any sort of regular story.

1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

Julian definitely had the most 180 turnabout of any character this year - marrying his wife in February, holding a knife to her throat in June - so, yeah, I'd have gone with him too.

I'd go with Anna. Julian was always a bad guy; he just happened to have a few moments of decentness. Anna, though, was totally ruined with her incessant Justice for Duke campaign. And now we have to see that obsessive behavior transferred to Valentin. Ugh.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, StinkyGreyCat said:

How sad is it that I check this thread every day hoping for new BryDog hilarity?  Guys, I miss the halcion days of his twitter meltdowns...sigh

He deleted all his tweets and is taking a social media break apparently:

Bryan Craig‏ @bryan_craig

People need to calm haha .Ill come through again and pick up right where I left off.......

Bryan Craig‏ @bryan_craig

Don't get ahead of yourselves ;)

And remember that court case of his? The Tale of Two Bryans With a First Name as a Last Name? Well first I think it was Bryan James, the guy who is suing him, who dropped his lawyer. Then it was Bryan C. who dropped his lawyer. And then BC was supposed to appear in court in Sept and he didn't appear and got fined. They are both due in court next month. I wonder if James will drop it now BC is off GH. 

And for those wondering how the hell I know this, Helena! Or it was from gossip site and someone there got it from the LA  court website, which is open to the public.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Huh? Does he mean picking out his reel? Cause pre noms don't come out till February or so.

Well, you know he has SO MUCH good stuff filmed to sort through, so it's going to take him a while. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, KerleyQ said:

Well, you know he has SO MUCH good stuff filmed to sort through, so it's going to take him a while. 

Ah, yes. He'll probably pick that memorable and unique scene where Morgan talked about being a screw up and no one liking him.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Ah, yes. He'll probably pick that memorable and unique scene where Morgan talked about being a screw up and no one liking him.

For my own laughs, I want him to include that "five year old waving to mommy before he gets on the big school bus" wave to Jason before he explodes.  It was so very Joey Tribbiani getting on the elevator of him. 

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, KerleyQ said:

For my own laughs, I want him to include that "five year old waving to mommy before he gets on the big school bus" wave to Jason before he explodes.  It was so very Joey Tribbiani getting on the elevator of him. 

That'll probably be poor Billy Miller's pick, actually.

• Love 1
On 12/7/2016 at 9:47 PM, ulkis said:

Honorable mentions:

This whole list is laughable.

• Love 6

I did try to get the answer to this with a bit of searching, but I could only find old news. I have been in and out so much since the summer: Is Kristina's guy, Aaron, still on in any capacity? I remember him breaking things off with her over the Parker mess, but last I saw, he was still hanging around and working with Kristina at the coffee joint, and things were tense between them. Is he more of a warm-weather character, and they're going to dust him off to run shirtless in that ratty-looking "park" come spring, or is that an official write-off? 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

I did try to get the answer to this with a bit of searching, but I could only find old news. I have been in and out so much since the summer: Is Kristina's guy, Aaron, still on in any capacity? I remember him breaking things off with her over the Parker mess, but last I saw, he was still hanging around and working with Kristina at the coffee joint, and things were tense between them. Is he more of a warm-weather character, and they're going to dust him off to run shirtless in that ratty-looking "park" come spring, or is that an official write-off? 

3 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

We haven't seen him for quite a while; Morgan's death meant Kristina had to go on a "Daddy may have blown up my brother but he's still a good guy/dad" 2016 tour.  So no time for canoodling with Aaron.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 11:47 PM, ulkis said:

Honorable mentions:

I do agree I never want to hear "embryo" again.  Literally had that on a test and chose the wrong answer to not have to write it.  I don't care. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, LeftPhalange said:

So you don't agree that GH is the most improved show?

Oh, the show has never been better. Cancel it now, I say, because nothing can top psychos Franco and Dr. O running our beloved hospital.

9 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Oh, the show has never been better. Cancel it now, I say, because nothing can top psychos Franco and Dr. O running our beloved hospital.

You forgot about your favorite character Griffin!

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

With still have lead younger heroine Kiki and her riveting romance with Dullen.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, ulkis said:

You forgot about your favorite character Griffin!

Right. The casting dept. does such a great job at hiring generically good-looking men who are bland and boring as hell on-screen. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Right. The casting dept. does such a great job at hiring generically good-looking men who are bland and boring as hell on-screen. 

I sometimes confuse Griffin with the other white guy. You know, the other one. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

This is still active.

Yep last I heard she was doing some project with Usher . Luckily for the most part she's stayed behind the screens instead of in front of them beyond one crappy Lifetime movie

I don’t think Chloe Lanier or Matt Cohen are bad actors, it is just that the show is so poorly written, no one can make heads or tails of their characters. I want to give a little slack. Not only do they have to memorize a boat load of lines, the shoe string budget no longer allows them to do retakes or work with an on site acting coach. Unless they come across as weird as Spinelli (and even he had better writers) there is only so much an acIf Chloe Lanier came up with some backstory for Nellie like Sarah Brown did for Carly, I am sure that FV and Jelly would change it on a dime to something stupid and non sensical. Look at what they did to poor Fiona Hughes’ character! Anna may never have been my favorite, but I do recognize her importance. The character was one of the inspirations behind Alias’ Sydney Bristow from some accounts and FH’s now floundering. I really think the only reason her performances are as strong as they are is because of her real life friendship with Ian Buchanan. I think  why short term characters in the past with little or no development could catch on  is because the show was written well enough that the characters could in fact act in character within their function on the show at the time, and it used to be something that either drove the story or added something worthwhile to it. I don't think there is much either of them can do considering the shoddiness of the GH set. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 4

Joseph Mascolo, dead at 87, obviously was more associated with Days of Our Lives than with any of the other soaps he was on, but he was also a General Hospital regular for a time, as Nicholas "Domino" Van Buren. Here is a clip with him and some familiar faces. 

Below is something I posted on the DOOL news thread last night.

I was a 1990s viewer of Days of Our Lives, as a young adult. It was not the greatest period in the show's history, perhaps, but DOOL was one of the most popular soaps at that time. The way it seemed then was that your older female relatives watched The Young and the Restless; you and your friends watched Days of Our Lives. James E. Reilly's plots were getting a lot of attention: possession, ghosts, underground-dwelling sewer people of Paris, magical board games, a device that looked like a curling iron but could erase memories, never-before-seen quintuplets played by the same actress (one of the quintuplets male). Stefano was right at the center of most of these plots.  

That coincided with the time I and a lot of other people were getting online. "Logging on" to discuss shows with people all over the country, rather than just your coworkers and your hairdresser, was now a part of the television viewing experience. I still remember screen names of people who are now scattered who knows where, and which characters they liked, which actors. Of course, we complained all the time! But we watched every day.  

I remember watching Joseph Mascolo accepting a soap award, and hearing him speaking in his "real" voice, rather than the Romantic European villain accent he used for Stefano. This is the first memory that came to me when I read the report of his death. He seemed like such a nice, down-to-earth man.  

He played Stefano with relish. Whenever there was another actor with whom he shared a lot of scenes, whether it was Drake or Deidre or Eileen or Tanya Boyd (Celeste), I felt that this must be his favorite scene partner.  Whether the material was good or bad, he acted it with an awareness of the responsibility that if the actors do not try hard to make it entertaining, and do not seem to believe in it, everything will collapse. I wish all soap actors did that.   

He was there for the zenith of the daytime soap opera, and he was there for what may be its twilight. In his own twilight, I understand, he suffered from Alzheimer's disease. I have not been watching in a long time, and I do not know if his condition was apparent in his performances. It is a terrible disease, and like all terrible diseases, it does not distinguish between ordinary people and extraordinary people.  

Now he has found his solace. We will remember him, and remember for him.  

• Love 5
On 12/9/2016 at 2:19 PM, ulkis said:

https://hollywoodschooled.com/home

Learn How To Get Started & Avoid The Common Pitfalls In 
Hollywood From Two Working Actors With 
Over 50 Years Of Combined Experience! 

And who are these two fellows with such a breadth of experience? Steve Burton and . . . Derk Cheetwood, aka Max 

Honestly, I would be more interested in what Derek Chetwood has to say than Steve Burton. I have a feeling that DC is a “middle class” actor. If he isn’t on contract on any show, but manages to support himself and his family, then as a non famous and even struggling actor, it would be the most helpful to hear him talk. What can SB really offer? “25 years ago, after my show about an half alien left syndication, I got the role of Jason Quartermaine on General Hospital. But my character was so earnest and goody goody it was putting  me to sleep and any other actor would have been let go and the character brought back later, but  the writers didn’t suck ass and I got a brain injury that allowed my character to have a believable personality transformation overnight. Luckily, Guza was a gangster wannabe and JFP was more interested in spending money and helping out her friends, which now I am one of them and they got to keep their job for 10 years, even if they never substainally raised the ratings. I got to almost completely monopolize a daily drama when if this had been any other time period, my character would have put on a boat and blown up and the TPTB would have found other ways to shake things up.  Unfortunately, there came a time when spending money like a drunk sailer and completely twisting the morality of a show caught with them and they were fired, and new writers and producers dared to make my character look slightly bad and the show wouldn’t pay my demands of not living within the state, even though an actress’s character who asked for a raise was killed off and Becky Herbst fears getting fired every year despite her strong fanbase. I then was able to jump ship to the Y&R, the number 1 soap, not because I am so talented or even did best in the audition, but because I am now a FOJ, who is more interested in hiring people she “trusts” than producing a good soap.”

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I then was able to jump ship to the Y&R, the number 1 soap, not because I am so talented or even did best in the audition, but because I am now a FOJ, who is more interested in hiring people she “trusts” than producing a good soap.”

"Unfortunately, Y&R then had the nerve to fire both Jill and Chuck Pratt, the people pounding my lackluster character into the canvas come hell or high water. So I decided not to renew my contract. [Which may or may not be code speak for the new PTB didn't understand my greatness and fired me.] So with the people at GH still not bowing to my talents, this is my way of making more money sharing my gift of acting with the masses."

• Love 5

I am fairly positive his Y&R exit is a 'mutual decision,' yes. I knew the moment Jill was out he'd be out the door, too. Ain't no one else at CBS paying major coin for Captain Nashville.

Sadly, GH will take him back.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, jsbt said:

I am fairly positive his Y&R exit is a 'mutual decision,' yes. I knew the moment Jill was out he'd be out the door, too. Ain't no one else at CBS paying major coin for Captain Nashville.

Sadly, GH will take him back.

I think you're using "mutual decision" as a euphemism, but I think it was actually mutual.  I think the new regime wasn't interested in making him a focal point, because they want to get back to more of an old school Y&R focus, and SBu could have stayed on with a less than central role, but he has zero interest in that role.  The new writers were probably happy to have a reason to write him out, though.  

JFP worked hard to integrate SBu's character into Y&R. He's the long lost son of two legacy characters, a pseudo member of a core family, and the current husband of a core character. I'm sure he would've continued to have a role if he wanted it, and I doubt his prominence would've lessened that much. Maybe he's just tired of playing this very dull character 

• Love 1