Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Malec

My problem with this show is that the writers crammed a few seasons worth of story into one season, probably not anticipating a second one.  Now that they have it, maybe they can slow things a bit. Considering the wealth of source material that they have, the writing should be a bit more cohesive and less rushed.

Malec is the best part of this entire show. 

As for Clace (ewww), I guess we are just going to take for granted that they are siblings?  No blood tests? No clarification?  I'm a little glad, because these 2 had zero chemistry together.  Can we have a hotshot Shadowhunter from Idris be Clary's new boyfriend?    

• Love 2

Kat was better this week. Maybe because she didn't have to do any of the heavy lifting. She actually managed to look convincingly wistful while gazing at Jace. First time I've seen chemistry between them.

Too much story, not enough heart. Slow down, writers and producers! Give us a chance to give a shit.

Too much story, not enough heart. Slow down, writers and producers! Give us a chance to give a shit.

I didn't think it was possible for a TV show to somehow tell *less* of a story than a movie but this has managed it. There have been so many emotional beats that have been glossed over, downplayed or mishandled.

And this had to be one of the worst episodes of television I have ever seen. It was bad - even for this show. Badly written, badly directed, badly acted.

Did they really try to play some of the Clary/Jace scenes for laughs? Did they really have Simon salivating over Clary one second after her finding out her boyfriend was her brother? Did they really have a melodramatic 'left at the alter' moment? This whole episode was one inexplicable choice after another in terms of the plot, character moments and dialogue.

I have to say I don't really see why Alec would be attracted to Magnus. When Alex was telling him off for being very pushy in a very shitty way while fully aware of the difficult position Alec was in I was like 'Yeees! Tell him off!'. Magnus's pushiness and lack of boundaries would be understandable to some degree if they were in a relationship of some kind before everything started, but they're not even past the vaguely flirting stage and Alec hasn't even shown attraction to him.

• Love 1

The writing and, in certain instances, the acting on this show are certainly not all that great and often have flaws, but I cannot deny that this week's episode made me very happy. Malec is indeed the best thing about this show and Matt and Harry have brought the characters from the page to the screen beautifully. And not only did the unholy union not happen and Alec finally came to his senses, Jace and Alec finally made up and mended their friendship and the parabatai bond, which I loved almost as much as the Malec kiss. Plus kudos to Lydia, I did not expect her to react in such an understanding and open-minded way. Poor girl, it was really not her day, first she gets left at the altar and then she gets knocked out and the Mortal Cup is stolen from her.

Yeah the "left at the altar" thing was a tad much, but I'm glad that the show decided to go forward with Malec and not wait around for the events of a few books to occur until they finally get together. Also, Alec kissing Magnus in front of a large crowd and outing himself was even better on screen. And I'm relieved that at least one of the Lightwood parents seemed to be understanding and supportive.

I'm also glad that the show revealed Hodge's true colours. Very curious where they will go with this storyline in the season finale.

I have to say I don't really see why Alec would be attracted to Magnus. When Alex was telling him off for being very pushy in a very shitty way while fully aware of the difficult position Alec was in I was like 'Yeees! Tell him off!'. Magnus's pushiness and lack of boundaries would be understandable to some degree if they were in a relationship of some kind before everything started, but they're not even past the vaguely flirting stage and Alec hasn't even shown attraction to him.

This. For Alec to make such a major life decision when all they've had is a brief flirtation just holds no emotional resonance. The only reason I care at all is because I read the books.  In fact, the books are the only reason I'm still hanging onto this show at all. If I didn't have that backstory from the books, all of this would mean nothing to me at all.

I could buy that he'd rush into marriage with Lydia because that was a business arrangement, not emotional. But they are really screwing the pooch on making me care about these characters at all. I'm not even getting much of a feeling that Clary and Jace are all that broken up about being, well, broken up.

If I were to compare this to my all time favorite show, it would be like if Buffy and Angel met, had sex, he became evil, helped stop multiple apocalypses and left town for his spinoff all in season one.

Edited by Pixel

I really liked this episode. I thought most relationships were on point - Clary and Jace, Clary and Alec, Alec and Jace, even the small Izzy and Simon moment. And of course Magnus and Alec. While I agree that Alec's decision was probably too fast and public, I can definitely see why the writers wanted that big moment this season, and I think it was rushed, but not completely unearned. For me, the key moment that made me buy into Malec was when Alec stayed to have a drink with Magnus after he helped save Luke. 

Lydia was so graceful about the whole situation, she even won Jace over. I felt bad for her when she was knocked out, but the Hodge reveal would have had more impact had he been on more episodes early on. 

Also, would have loved to see the conversation with Raphael where Simon asked to borrow his clothes!

How are they going to wake Jocelyn up now? Wonder if that's finally happening in the finale.

• Love 2

Since Lydia and Alec were a marriage of convenience there really should have been a way to work out a satisfactory arrangement for all parties concerned after the ceremony. None of the melodrama was necessary. As for a public declaration of love, Lou Diamond Phillips sweeping Michael Boatman off his feet in an episode of Spin City was much, much more uplifting. (Yes, Lou was in dress whites like Richard Gere in Pretty Woman.) 

Why is Simon a privileged character at Hotel Du Mort?

I agree with the posters who didn't really see the Magnus/Alec relationship. We had learned in an earlier episode that Alec loved Jace and I would have bought this if Jace had come out as gay and said that he wanted to be with Alec, but the Magnus/Alec attraction always seemed a bit one-sided in that Magnus was more attracted to Alec than the other way round.

• Love 4

I agree with the posters who didn't really see the Magnus/Alec relationship. We had learned in an earlier episode that Alec loved Jace and I would have bought this if Jace had come out as gay and said that he wanted to be with Alec, but the Magnus/Alec attraction always seemed a bit one-sided in that Magnus was more attracted to Alec than the other way round.

Jace is straight. Alec isn't. Alec was *in love* with Jace, while Jace loved him as a brother. Unrequited love isn't terribly unusual in any situation ... straight, gay, bi ... whatever.

I thought it was perfect. Magnus was a little pushy, but that's who he is.

And this is why I think this show is not television but fan fiction. They assume their viewers are already accepting (enthusiastic even) of the Malec ship. So they don't bother to establish it but just rely on everyone's head canon to fill in the blanks. I can't even articulate the kind of bad writing that embodies. Nothing we'd seen until then justified that scene. It was painful to watch. Considering how everything ended, the entire marriage subplot was utterly pointless. If they'd ditched that and let the relationship between Magnus and Alec grow organically we could have had an amazing first kiss. Instead, I was fast forwarding at the time and missed it.

• Love 5

This. For Alec to make such a major life decision when all they've had is a brief flirtation just holds no emotional resonance. The only reason I care at all is because I read the books.  In fact, the books are the only reason I'm still hanging onto this show at all. If I didn't have that backstory from the books, all of this would mean nothing to me at all.

I haven't read the books so I don't really get why Magnus felt so entitled to feel betrayed by Alec's decision to marry Lydia. Not on the story they've told us so far anyway.  Disappointed because he's obviously attracted and was hoping something might happen maybe, but beyond a bit of a flirt and a drink they didn't exactly have much of a relationship and as someone else pointed out Alec might be attracted to Magnus, but for the bulk of the season we've been led to believe that Alec is in love with Jace hence part of the reason for his weirdness with him. They actually did a much better job establishing a friendship between Lydia and Alec so their marriage of convenience actually made some sense to me considering where their heads are supposed to be at and struck me as more believable than Alec abandoning everything to be with Magnus at the alter. That moment didn't feel earned at all which is a pity because I actually like the idea of them and think the actors have nice chemistry, but the show has really failed at the show rather than tell portion of their development.

• Love 1