Type keyword(s) to search

Luke and Rory

elang4
  • Start Topic

Hey, I've been reading some fanfictions based around Luke and Rory's relationship and I thought I'd make a thread about it.

I think everyone wishes they had a Luke in their life. I loved seeing how much he was there for Rory and you know he was there for her not just because he liked Lorelai but because he genuinely cared about her. I kind of wished they'd shown more of their relationship even after Lorelai and Luke broke up but they seemed to just forget about it. Rory went into the diner like twice but apart from that there was no interaction. Luke so should have been at Rory's Yale graduation as well.

So what do you think? :)

• Love 1

Hey, I've been reading some fanfictions based around Luke and Rory's relationship and I thought I'd make a thread about it.

I think everyone wishes they had a Luke in their life. I loved seeing how much he was there for Rory and you know he was there for her not just because he liked Lorelai but because he genuinely cared about her. I kind of wished they'd shown more of their relationship even after Lorelai and Luke broke up but they seemed to just forget about it. Rory went into the diner like twice but apart from that there was no interaction. Luke so should have been at Rory's Yale graduation as well.

seconded. Esp since he was such a big part of her time there. And after his fantastic appearance at Chilton's.

• Love 2

Rory went into the diner like twice but apart from that there was no interaction. Luke so should have been at Rory's Yale graduation as well.

Oh come on, be realistic. He would have had to pay for one year of Yale, and only that, to even be considered for that last ticket (Lorelai, Emily and Richard as 3 of the 4 tickets for sure).

I mean all he ever did for Rory was give her b-day presents, free food, kept her house from falling down, build her bookshelves, came to her HS graduation, let her study in his diner taking up the tables, made her mash potatoes when she was sick, made sure she could come to him no matter what his relationship with Lorelai. No way. He's disqualified for that last ticket. He never did anything as gracious as pay for her education, for one year anyway.

• Love 6

Oh come on, be realistic. He would have had to pay for one year of Yale, and only that, to even be considered for that last ticket (Lorelai, Emily and Richard as 3 of the 4 tickets for sure).

I mean all he ever did for Rory was give her b-day presents, free food, kept her house from falling down, build her bookshelves, came to her HS graduation, let her study in his diner taking up the tables, made her mash potatoes when she was sick, made sure she could come to him no matter what his relationship with Lorelai. No way. He's disqualified for that last ticket. He never did anything as gracious as pay for her education, for one year anyway.

Chris only paid for her education because he suddenly got loaded. He'd never offered before. I just feel like Luke should have been there. Chris didn't even bother showing up for her Chilton one.

• Love 2

I can't tell if you're being sincere or sarcastic.

In You Jump Jack, I Jump Jack, after Richard is coming home from a day of golf with Luke, Emily tells Richard "how could you encourage that relationship...he's not good enough for Lorelai and he's an inappropriate step father for Rory."  I had always wished there had been an episode where Lorelai or Rory would set Emily straight on just how much Luke had been there for her girls.  Or even where she became privy to seeing him be there for them with her own eyes and shut up forever about him.  Maybe in the revival?  

• Love 5

In You Jump Jack, I Jump Jack, after Richard is coming home from a day of golf with Luke, Emily tells Richard "how could you encourage that relationship...he's not good enough for Lorelai and he's an inappropriate step father for Rory." I had always wished there had been an episode where Lorelai or Rory would set Emily straight on just how much Luke had been there for her girls. Or even where she became privy to seeing him be there for them with her own eyes and shut up forever about him. Maybe in the revival?

Totally agree! Don't think they saw Luke and Rory really interact. They saw them together but Lorelai was there. Even at Rory's 21st, Emily didn't see their little interaction. I sort of wished Rory had defended him more to them.

• Love 1

In You Jump Jack, I Jump Jack, after Richard is coming home from a day of golf with Luke, Emily tells Richard "how could you encourage that relationship...he's not good enough for Lorelai and he's an inappropriate step father for Rory." I had always wished there had been an episode where Lorelai or Rory would set Emily straight on just how much Luke had been there for her girls. Or even where she became privy to seeing him be there for them with her own eyes and shut up forever about him. Maybe in the revival?

I fear not, but hope at least LL have learned to live with it, coupled with Emily keeping her promise to stay out of it.

What I found even more interesting is how much we learn about Richard's character. He's always acted civilly to Luke in the few encounters they had, but during the golf game he was sarcastically condescending and in the discussion with Emily he was truthful about his intentions. It reminded me very much about his business dealing with Jason's family, cold, calculating and ruthless. If Emily hadn't played wicked soap opera witch, I believe Richard would have attempted a ruthless businessman character assassination.

That had no resolution in the series, so I wonder if Emily will whitewash it as a widow.

In reflection, I'm having a hard time thinking of examples where Luke and Richard interacted at all before the golf date.

To keep on the Rory and Luke topic, I wish Rory had a chance to see Richard's treatment of Luke and had said something about that, too.

Edited by junienmomo
  • Love 1

Totally agree! Don't think they saw Luke and Rory really interact. They saw them together but Lorelai was there. Even at Rory's 21st, Emily didn't see their little interaction. I sort of wished Rory had defended him more to them.

Rory did defend, Luke, though as much as she could. It's just that Emily and Richard were fine with Luke as a friend to the girls that they never interacted with in S1-4. Rory didn't know how much E/R talked shit about him in S5, until Emily sabotaged Lorelai's relationship with Luke in Wedding Bells Blues. After that, Rory really does try to punish Emily for this by being cold to her at FND which is basically the most effective power that Rory has. And it did partly result in Emily going to Luke to promise that she's not going to interfere in their relationship. And I think Rory was ready to start doing the same to Richard, if Lorelai suspected Richard was part of it, even though interestingly enough, it seems like it'd be harder on Rory to be cold to Richard than Emily and certainly harder than shutting Christopher out. 

RORY: Hey, do you think Grandpa knew about it?

LORELAI: About Christopher coming?

RORY: Do you think he planned it with Grandma?

LORELAI: Look how panicked you are. No, honey, honestly, the whole thing reeks of Emily. I mean, not that I think he would have discouraged it, but I'm pretty sure she's the one who poisoned the apple and gave it to Dopey to bring to the party.

After L/L reconcile in S5, I thought E/R were pretty correct to Luke, except for Emily when Richard had his second heart attack in Philly and that's not a good time to admonish Emily for rudeness. 

Also, Lorelia thought that Rory got involved in punishing Emily for the L/L break-up out of love for Luke as well as Lorelai and I kind of agree.

LORELAI: Dad, listen to me. This is Rory’s thing, okay? She was mad. She was upset.

RICHARD: Well, what does Rory have to be upset about?

LORELAI: Rory loves Luke, Dad. She does not want to see him hurt and humiliated like he was. She cares about me.

• Love 2

Rory did defend, Luke, though as much as she could. It's just that Emily and Richard were fine with Luke as a friend to the girls that they never interacted with in S1-4. Rory didn't know how much E/R talked shit about him in S5, until Emily sabotaged Lorelai's relationship with Luke in Wedding Bells Blues. After that, Rory really does try to punish Emily for this by being cold to her at FND which is basically the most effective power that Rory has. And it did partly result in Emily going to Luke to promise that she's not going to interfere in their relationship. And I think Rory was ready to start doing the same to Richard, if Lorelai suspected Richard was part of it, even though interestingly enough, it seems like it'd be harder on Rory to be cold to Richard than Emily and certainly harder than shutting Christopher out.

RORY: Hey, do you think Grandpa knew about it?

LORELAI: About Christopher coming?

RORY: Do you think he planned it with Grandma?

LORELAI: Look how panicked you are. No, honey, honestly, the whole thing reeks of Emily. I mean, not that I think he would have discouraged it, but I'm pretty sure she's the one who poisoned the apple and gave it to Dopey to bring to the party.

After L/L reconcile in S5, I thought E/R were pretty correct to Luke, except for Emily when Richard had his second heart attack in Philly and that's not a good time to admonish Emily for rudeness.

Also, Lorelia thought that Rory got involved in punishing Emily for the L/L break-up out of love for Luke as well as Lorelai and I kind of agree.

LORELAI: Dad, listen to me. This is Rory’s thing, okay? She was mad. She was upset.

RICHARD: Well, what does Rory have to be upset about?

LORELAI: Rory loves Luke, Dad. She does not want to see him hurt and humiliated like he was. She cares about me.

True. I guess she does defend him. I forgot about that conversation between Lorelai and Richard and how confused Richard is about why Rory was upset. He thought she was just defending Lorelai. I did like her being cold to Emily though at FND. I think you're right that it showed she was as upset about the break up as Lorelai was. It only seemed to last one week though, she seemed to forgive her very quickly.

True. I guess she does defend him. I forgot about that conversation between Lorelai and Richard and how confused Richard is about why Rory was upset. He thought she was just defending Lorelai. I did like her being cold to Emily though at FND. I think you're right that it showed she was as upset about the break up as Lorelai was. It only seemed to last one week though, she seemed to forgive her very quickly.

Rory was cold to Emily for two FDNs- the one with the big fight in So...Good Talk ("I told her to make it! You’re enjoying duck because I requested duck!" "Well, it was a great duck, Grandma! Kudos on the duck!") and then, a more mild-mannered coldness in Pulp Friction. There aren't any FND in the next two eps. But yeah, by How Many Kropogs to Cape Cod?, Rory seemed fine with Emily. Including not defending Lorelai when Emily was undermining and dissing her throughout dinner- but then again, I get Rory thinking that she doesn't want to make Gilmore- family drama on a night that's supposed to be about Logan just because Lorelai had to make this her first FND dinner back. 

Rory was cold to Emily for two FDNs- the one with the big fight in So...Good Talk ("I told her to make it! You’re enjoying duck because I requested duck!" "Well, it was a great duck, Grandma! Kudos on the duck!") and then, a more mild-mannered coldness in Pulp Friction. There aren't any FND in the next two eps. But yeah, by How Many Kropogs to Cape Cod?, Rory seemed fine with Emily. Including not defending Lorelai when Emily was undermining and dissing her throughout dinner- but then again, I get Rory thinking that she doesn't want to make Gilmore- family drama on a night that's supposed to be about Logan just because Lorelai had to make this her first FND dinner back.

Yeah I didn't like that dinner with Logan. But I guess it was meant to be about Logan, not Lorelai.

You're all right that Rory did defend Luke, I guess I felt she moved on to forgive Emily really quickly, too.  And I think I wanted it to be spelled out - Luke did this and this and this...lol! :) 

Did Lorelai and Emily ever talk things out after the Logan dinner?  All I can remember is her spilling her guts in the magazine and asking her mom not to get mad at what she reads.  Its a lot of freezing, burns, and move on without talking until someone erupts all over the other person in this family, mostly between Emily and Lorelai, IMO. 

Yeah I didn't like that dinner with Logan. But I guess it was meant to be about Logan, not Lorelai.

True. I do think Rory goes to bat for Luke a *lot*. Scolding Jess to be nicer to Luke and to help him out (even if that was also flirting). Being on Luke's side when the town and her mother were blaming him for Jess and then, not enabling Lorelai when she was cranky that Luke would be upset with her for being terrible to him the night of the accident. Punishing Emily for trying to break up him and Lorelai. Getting all up in Christopher's business when Rory thought there was a chance that he'd sabotage Luke/Lorelai by trying to start something up with Lorelai. Yelling at Lorelai for having sex with Christopher the night that she broke up with Luke. (Although within that, I thought it was incredibly OOC and disappointing that Rory only issue with Lorelai marrying Chris in France was that Rory didn't get to go to the wedding.)

I think Rory really does love Luke in a way beyond the other adult townies. Like, Lorelai really loves Sookie, Mia, possibly Jackson, possibly Michele and she's tight with Babette and Miss Patty. I think Rory's far more reserved with the other adult townies. She likes them, but she can take or leave them but Luke's apart from the others. Luke is family to Rory. 

If I had to rank Rory's platonic loves considering the series as a whole, it'd be Lorelai, (ENORMOUS GRAND CANYON SIZED GAP), Richard (GAP), Emily, Luke, (GAP), Paris, Lane, (GAP), Christopher- and those are her platonic loves. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 5

True. I do think Rory goes to bat for Luke a *lot*. Scolding Jess to be nicer to Luke and to help him out (even if that was also flirting). Being on Luke's side when the town and her mother were blaming him for Jess and then, not enabling Lorelai when she was cranky that Luke would be upset with her for being terrible to him the night of the accident. Punishing Emily for trying to break up him and Lorelai. Getting all up in Christopher's business when Rory thought there was a chance that he'd sabotage Luke/Lorelai by trying to start something up with Lorelai. Yelling at Lorelai for having sex with Christopher the night that she broke up with Luke. (Although within that, I thought it was incredibly OOC and disappointing that Rory only issue with Lorelai marrying Chris in France was that Rory didn't get to go to the wedding.)

I think Rory really does love Luke in a way beyond the other adult townies. Like, Lorelai really loves Sookie, Mia, possibly Jackson, possibly Michele and she's tight with Babette and Miss Patty. I think Rory's far more reserved with the other adult townies. She likes them, but she can take or leave them but Luke's apart from the others. Luke is family to Rory.

If I had to rank Rory's platonic loves considering the series as a whole, it'd be Lorelai, (ENORMOUS GRAND CANYON SIZED GAP), Richard (GAP), Emily, Luke, (GAP), Paris, Lane, (GAP), Christopher- and those are her platonic loves.

I agree with you there! One bit I thought was moving was at the beginning of season 7 and Rory was with Gypsy, Lulu and Miss Patty waiting and she looked across to the diner and waved at Luke and he waved back. You could feel the sadness between them. I sort of wished we had more interaction between them in season 7. She went in a couple of times but apart from that, they kind of forgot about their relationship. We didn't even get a scene of her finding out that Luke had organised the whole party!

• Love 2

It's sometimes hard to get a handle on this relationship becase the writers often neglected it and because neither Rory nor Luke is exactly effusive and emotionally expressive. But I loved them and never doubted that they loved each other, even if it was often shown in their more guarded, reserved way. 

What are some scenes and plots you would have wanted to see for them? I agree that too much of their interaction centered directly around Lorelai and Jess, so I would have loved to see them bond over something that only the two of them shared. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, whateverhappened said:

It's sometimes hard to get a handle on this relationship becase the writers often neglected it and because neither Rory nor Luke is exactly effusive and emotionally expressive. But I loved them and never doubted that they loved each other, even if it was often shown in their more guarded, reserved way. 

What are some scenes and plots you would have wanted to see for them? I agree that too much of their interaction centered directly around Lorelai and Jess, so I would have loved to see them bond over something that only the two of them shared. 

I would have liked to have seen more of them interact in season 7. Just because Luke and Lorelai split up, didn't mean that Luke and Rory's relationship should stop. I liked when Rory went in at the beginning of season 7 after the reopening and then when she was showing Logan round. I just feel it would have been nice to see a bit more. That wave as well when Rory was across the diner before Kirk crashed into it. Their faces said a million words. It was so poignant. 

• Love 2