Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: In The Dark

• Start Topic

Not so sure about Deb and Michael feeding healthy food to Sophia. I cannot forget that juice box and sausage McMuffin-looking breakfast they fed her on her first day of school.

Kail loves to cook up the microwaveable processed foods or whatever can be shoved in an oven.

I caught a portion of Jenelle's first episode. Barb looks the same - tired and stressed-looking, too.

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 1

We haven't really seen any of them eat healthy or even just normal foods. Aubree with her Toaster Strudel last time, ice cream, frozen yogurt. I guess that's how most of the country eats? I don't know. It's how I ate as a kid but I'd make my own kids eat mostly actual food.

• Love 1
Lm2162, on 19 Apr 2016 - 01:30 AM, said:

We haven't really seen any of them eat healthy or even just normal foods. Aubree with her Toaster Strudel last time, ice cream, frozen yogurt. I guess that's how most of the country eats? I don't know. It's how I ate as a kid but I'd make my own kids eat mostly actual food.

2/3 of American adults and 1/3 of American children are either overweight, obese, or morbidly obese. Unless a medical issue is a contributing factor (experts disagree with the percentage of folks whose weight issues are either caused or exacerbated by a valid medical issue; I've seen figures ranging from 9% - 16%), the majority didn't get that way eating mostly veggies and lean meats.

None of these kids have weight issues now, but they're still young. Our metabolism changes, so what one can eat at six and maintain a normal weight may not affect our bodies the same way 10-20 years down the road.

Furthermore, weight is not an accurate indicator of whether an individual is getting proper nourishment. Individuals at normal weight for their height and individuals who are overweight/obese/morbidly obese can be malnourished.

Way too many processed/convenience foods in all these kid's diets. But I suspect their diets are typical of the majority of kids today.

• Love 3

Just go to the PTV section on "My 600-lb Life" for validation on everything you've said here, TwirlyGirly. Also for Leah style lies and disillusion. It's really rather aggravating!

• Love 2

They only are filmed a week out of the month, and even that isn't 24 hours of filming. It's hard to build too much of a picture based on that. i do find it interesting that those moms we've seen cook (which I don't think is all of them), are the ones that tend to do more of the quick foods (Leah and the ravioli, Jenelle and hot dogs). I'm sure we've seen Chelsea cook (beyond snacks or cereal) but I just can't think of any 'sit around the table over dinner' scenes. Even Farrah, who "went to culinary school" doesn't cook (and thats good because that pizza she made one time was a travesty).

• Love 2

Well, we have to remember that they're filming. Production doesn't want to film them for an hour or more, while they prepare a nice, wholesome meal. They want to get them talking about stuff, which is easier to do when you're boiling a hotdog. That being said, there are very few of them that I can picture making a big healthy meal. So who knows? They were out of the house so young. I didn't learn to cook from my mom. She was going through a horrible divorce when I was a teeanger, and I was more interested in being with my friends. I moved out at 19 and could barely boil water. In my early 20s, you'd catch a lot of macaroni and tacos at my house. It wasn't until the other side of 25 that I really got serious about cooking, and it's been a slow progress over the last 10 years. I could see some of them upping their game eventually, but most will always rely on convenience food. They're lazy. 

• Love 3

It wasn't until the other side of 25 that I really got serious about cooking, and it's been a slow progress over the last 10 years. I could see some of them upping their game eventually, but most will always rely on convenience food. They're lazy.

I was the exact same way, which is why I'm not going full Judge Judy on what these girls feed their kids. Up until my mid 20s, I lived off takeout and Starbucks. I didn't really get into cooking until I met my fiance and started hosting dinners, holiday parties etc. I'm sure Jenelle and Leah will always prepare microwave crap, but I can see Kail and Chelsea upping their game as they get older and mature.

On a side note, 2/3 of Americans are overweight?! I didn't know that, wow.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

Overweight or obese, yes.

And I hate to judge on some of the stuff, but things like giving your kids soda or "juice" (like the hugs, or fruit punch, sunny d, etc.) is just so unnecessary. At the least, get 100% juice. If not, water. It's not hard to not give something that is just an extra cost to buy.

• Love 2