Type keyword(s) to search

Death of X

• Start Topic

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvel-teases-death-x-fall-2016

VL4G8o9.jpg

Thoughts?  The death of Xavier's dream?  Are we going to find out what happened to Cyclops?  Or, as some have suggested, is this the death of the X-line of comics as the characters are slowly integrated into others?  (Similar to what Marvel did with the F4; Kitty with the Guardians, Rogue with the Avengers, Beast working with the Inhumans, etc.)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/axel-in-charge-death-of-x-dead-no-more-ominous-marvel-stories

Relevant bit:

Albert Ching: Axel, let's start with the "Death of X" teaser that Marvel released last week -- which, certainly unsurprisingly, got people talking. Is Marvel rattling the cage of X-Men fans once again?

Axel Alonso: Actually, it's truth in advertising. [Laughs] We're aware that it might have some "meta" connotations for conspiracy theorists, but "Death of X" is just an accurate tag.

Ching: And surely this is something we'll hear more about in the coming weeks and months?

Alonso: Absolutely. We'll be telling you lots more about this soon -- and then the Internet can explode.

*sigh*  I admit, I stopped buying the comics years ago when I got married and had a kid and could no longer afford to splurge.  But I've kept up with what's going on and I suppose I'm one of the "conspiracy theorists".  It's hard for me to believe that Marvel/Disney isn't trying to demote the X-brand.  So when I see this, I get anxious.

So, the fatalist in me says they're eliminating the X-brand entirely; the optimist (or at least, slightly less fatalistic) says that it's just a character death and the whole thing will be undone when they want to use the character again.

Jay Rachel Edidin talked about this a few months ago. Besides, it's Alonso's job to get people worked up and talking about this. With any luck, the chatter will translate into sales. Okay, maybe the lowest-selling X-title will be cancelled. There will probably be lineup changes in the teams. A few sacrificial lambs will be killed. But a new title will probably be launched afterwards. Other characters may come back from the dead. the X line will continue, and next year there will be another massive paradigm-changing crossover. It will be marketed as even more earthshattering than the last one. And in 2018, 2019, 2020, 3020...

I'm not sure it's "secret", but Marvel isn't talking about it much.  From the October solicitations:

DEATH OF X #1 (of 4)

• What happened eight months ago that set the Inhumans and X-Men on a collision course? Find out here!
• The Inhumans travel to Japan where one of the Terrigen Clouds creates a shocking new Inhuman.
• The X-Men travel to Muir Island where the second Terrigen Cloud causes something truly terrible.
• When these two events collide, a war of catastrophic proportions explodes!

DEATH OF X #2 (of 4)

• After the events on Muir Island, Cyclops and Emma Frost put their plans into motion.
• Storm and Medusa come together to find a solution for the deadly effects the Terrigen has on mutants.
• One of the clouds heads to Madrid, the site of the first skirmish between mutants and Inhumans.

Is it possible no one cares about it?  Very possible.  Mutant extinction is a story they've done... well, to death.  

(edited)

Thanks for the information. I might go Digital for this one, assuming it's available 

Wait, is Cyclops alive? I quit Uncanny after Secret Wars because Scott was "dead".   Ok, just googled, looks like he came back in Extraordinary X-Men, i quit that title after i realized the red head on the cover pf #1 was Jean Grey, not Hope Summers...I hate  Jean ?

Edited by Morrigan2575
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Wait, is Cyclops alive?

Yeah, that's what this whole ridiculous "8 month gap" is about -- what did Scott do?  Which reminds me.  Teen Scott joins the Champions.  Apparently, they all have to figure out how they're going to work with Kid Hitler, according to Tom Brevoort.  I really can't stand that guy.

Here's the link.  http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/05/marvel-champions

Cyclops shows up and goes, “Boy I love what you’re putting down, I’d like to be a part of it.” It’s kind of like Kid Hitler showing up at the door. The older Cyclops has done some stuff. He’s a hugely divisive figure in the Marvel universe, so the first question these kids have to answer for themselves is, should we let him be a part of this? Is his very presence going to taint what we’re doing? His older self became a radical and a revolutionary and did awful things, but is it the same guy?

Edited by Demented Daisy
1 hour ago, Demented Daisy said:

Yeah, that's what this whole ridiculous "8 month gap" is about -- what did Scott do?  Which reminds me.  Teen Scott joins the Champions.  Apparently, they all have to figure out how they're going to work with Kid Hitler, according to Tom Brevoort.  I really can't stand that guy.

Here's the link.  http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/05/marvel-champions

Teen Hitler ouch.  It's so hard being a Scott Summers fan ?

Okay, what did I miss?  How did that make Cyclops the Marvel equivalent of Hitler?  I feel like I missed half a dozen books that fleshed out the story more because, yeah, that was a whole lot of nothing.

I assume more will happen in Inhumans vs X-Men, but I pretty much don't care now.  I'm tired of Marvel jerking around X fans.  

On 11/23/2016 at 5:00 PM, Demented Daisy said:

Okay, what did I miss?  How did that make Cyclops the Marvel equivalent of Hitler?  I feel like I missed half a dozen books that fleshed out the story more because, yeah, that was a whole lot of nothing.

There's an issue where Cyclops posts something on a YouTube video and most everyone in the thread agrees he's worse than Hitler...

• Love 1