Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Pops

The following is pure speculation but I was thinking of another possible direction.

For the most part we've approached these changes that Lucifer is under going, particularly his mortality as a punishment.  What if they're not.  What if the show runners are going to pull from the source material the idea of Yahweh 'retiring' and all this is part of HIS plan to groom his favorite son towards redemption with the hope of Lucifer taking back over the reins?

It would kind of explain why DAD is allowing Amenadiel to wreck havoc as it is part of the Plan for Amenadiel to take over as the ruler of Hell with Lucifer being re-positioned.

I'm also remembering a scene in the comics where an angel actually is 'destroyed' in order to come back stronger and more whole than he had been.  We keep worrying about Malcolm shooting/'killing' Lucifer but keep forgetting that 'killing' an angel isn't quite the same as killing a mortal.  Amenadiel is thinking it will send Lucifer back to Hell but that might just backfire on him spectacularly.

In which case, maybe that whole scenario is what the show runners have had to save their special effects budget for, which is why we've been a bit light on the special powers and also dealing with the bad green screens recently.  ;)

• Love 2

Something that is bothering me and I am not sure how much longer I will be able to ignore it... Lucifer has a serious delusional belief set that, I can't see how Chloe can really just continue to ignore if, indeed, she thinks he is insane.  It seems like at some point the show will have to Shite or get off the pot on this issue. Either Lucifer is who he says he is or is has a deep mental issue.  I am hoping the finale resolves it substantially.

I've been going back and forth on this one.  The first time Chloe got a glimpse that Luci might be other-worldly, she shot him.  So I think any acceptance of his actual identify has to be preceded by some development/growth/change on Chloe's part.  Remember, she doesn't believe in any of this stuff.  I'm not sure how they are going to get from here (where she is occasionally irritated by his 'Luciferness' but also a growing friendship) to The Real Deal.  As I said before, if I knew my bullets could make Satan bleed, I would shoot for center mass and empty a clip into a "human" who turned out to be the actual Devil out of pants-sh*tting fear.  They've made Chloe a compassionate, empathetic everywoman of a sort, so I'm going to have to believe she is something ELSE before I believe she knowingly walks side by side with the Devil through LA.

My fanwank on her continued acceptance:  he runs a successful business; he has contributed to solving her cases; he interacts with other humans (Dr. Linda, Dan, the football player, her boss) in a way that suggests he's not really dangerous to non-criminals; and he has shown restraint with some criminals.  So she's weighing most of what  she sees against the comments he makes from time to time about his Father, etc.  The obvious fault in this are her failures to process what he is showing her about speed (rooftop with the would-be jumper) and strength (dude through the glass and Spider).  I'm not sure how to shoehorn those in, but I go back to the point that she is not a believer, and the moment she does believe he is Satan, that flips everything on its head including her belief system.  That is some tricky stuff and I'm willing to be patient in hopes the writers come up with a really solid way to make sense of it. 

• Love 2

It's not about Chloe 'walking side by side with the devil'.  It's the fact that she's ignoring things about him that any normal person would agree is a sign of severe mental instability.  Someone can easily be compassionate and empathetic while also acknowledging the fact that a colleague is saying and doing things that really should result in intense psychiatric evaluation, probably even involuntary commitment.  He's risk seeking to the point of hurting himself, maybe even could be described as suicidal (shoot me, chloe!).  He's experiencing severe delusions (thinks he's the devil and his father is the thing people call god).  He's hurting other people.  And so on and so forth.  Yes, the audience knows that in this universe supernatural things of fantasy actually do exist, but Chloe doesn't know that.  Whether she's atheist or not, whether she believes in ghosts and goblins or not, really doesn't matter.  What's actually in front of her is a man who has been a danger to himself and others and who is exhibiting textbook symptoms for a dozen different mental illnesses and not just random quirky behavior.  That's what she sees, that's what she knows.  The longer she doesn't react to it, the more difficult it is to consider Chloe as a person with any sort of intelligence or critical thinkings skills.  

And geez, I really hope you wouldn't shoot to kill someone who claimed to be the devil.  Not only is that insane, it's also murder.  Fantasy and fiction aren't real life.  

Edited by Lion
  • Love 3

And geez, I really hope you wouldn't shoot to kill someone who claimed to be the devil.  Not only is that insane, it's also murder.  Fantasy and fiction aren't real life.  

Sorry if I wasn't clear-- my point was that if I learned that my quippy British pal was the actual Devil, not just a mostly-functional person with delusions of angelic grandeur, I would be so terrified I would shoot at him until I ran out of bullets.  It would be three mind-melting realizations at once:  the Devil exists just like they said in bible school; he is standing right here; and I've been hanging out with him for months, while ignoring perfectly good clues that I had become an associate of Satan (oh, and I introduced my beloved daughter to Satan, neato).  In terms of my religious upbringing (long since lapsed), it does not bode well for one's soul to consort with the Devil on any terms, crime procedural or otherwise. 

I'm not confusing fantasy or fiction with reality, I'm just thinking about "how" the show might address Chloe's realization that Lucifer is who he says he is.  In my mind, she needs some additional skills/knowledge/something to be able to cope with that reveal (instead of going immediately insane like Jimmy).  And if they do have Chloe gain this knowledge without losing her mind, she will be faced with some choices, one of which would be to conduct business as usual.  That would means she's then walking around LA with a being she knows to be Satan.  That seems like a long way from where she is now, and I think that option requires her to undergo some changes.

Edited by Zipper
  • Love 2

I think she's starting to believe there's something supernatural going on with him. At the kitchen, she openly awknowledged that he might be able to do "something"; that's huge. And I think she isn't freaking out exactly because of that, because he's helping. Our Lucifer isn't doing the things Satan is supposed to do. So imo, she could be opening to the idea that he might be telling the truth, the whole truth. Meaning, that yes, he's Lucifer but a Lucifer who hates Hell and isn't interested in hurting innocent people, a Lucifer who isn't evil at heart.

Loved what they did with Maze. Her scenes with Trixie and the therapist were gold. That Shirley Temple, looool. And Maze was so proud of herself when she told the therapist about her new friend....

So he can get burnt, (only if he's touching her?). I think we won't know until the season finale. Maybe that dirty cop will shoot at him and oops! And if Chloe sees it...

Poor Lucifer, can you imagine, hearing your dad's name all the time? Especially in sexual moments? It'd be Hell, heh.

storyskip, on 30 Mar 2016 - 10:27 AM, said:

It would kind of explain why DAD is allowing Amenadiel to wreck havoc as it is part of the Plan for Amenadiel to take over as the ruler of Hell with Lucifer being re-positioned.

I don't know why so many seem to assume that Father is condoning Amenadiel's action/that Amenadiel's actions are in Father's interest. Yes, Amenadiel was sent to deliver the message that Lucifer's return to Hell had been requested and, from what Amenadiel said, I would assume that he was tasked with bringing Lucifer back. But that's the only information we have, he never said that he can bring him back using all means necessary. I strongy suspect that all Father said to Amenadiel was that he wants him to bring Lucifer back and Amenadiel understood "by all means necessary". And I assume Father goes along because he wants to see how far Amenadiel will go. Simple as that.

I don't know why so many seem to assume that Father is condoning Amenadiel's action/that Amenadiel's actions are in Father's interest. Yes, Amenadiel was sent to deliver the message that Lucifer's return to Hell had been requested and, from what Amenadiel said, I would assume that he was tasked with bringing Lucifer back. But that's the only information we have, he never said that he can bring him back using all means necessary. I strongy suspect that all Father said to Amenadiel was that he wants him to bring Lucifer back and Amenadiel understood "by all means necessary". And I assume Father goes along because he wants to see how far Amenadiel will go. Simple as that.

Well, there you're hitting upon the main theme of the source material.   The idea that as the omnipotent being of creation, everything ... EVERYTHING is by Yahweh's design.

That is what Lucifer rebelled against, the idea that his will meant nothing because everything was predestined according to his Father's Plan.  Remember Father Frank brought up that core belief "I believe that God has a plan" and Lucifer countered with "Well yes BUT why does everybody believe it's a good one?"

Lucifer's "fall" was predestined because Yahweh needed him to rule Hell (the question is whether this was a punishment or a gift).  This is why Lucifer "retired" in the first place.  He came to realize that what he thought was rebellion, served his Father's Plan all along.  

So from the perspective of the mythos the series is based upon, Yahweh is well aware of what is happening with Amenadiel as it is 'predestined'.  That he's obviously taking a hands off approach (he hasn't stepped in to stop Amenadiel, just as he never stepped in to destroy Lucifer) might be something that's answered in the next 3 episodes as we see how Lucifer reacts and responds to his brother's machinations.

• Love 1
storyskip, on 30 Mar 2016 - 5:28 PM, said:

Well, there you're hitting upon the main theme of the source material.   The idea that as the omnipotent being of creation, everything ... EVERYTHING is by Yahweh's design.

Both, Brandt (on Twitter) and Henderson in the afterbuzz interview have said that  it's loosely based on the comics, with an emphasis on loosely. I think Henderson also said something along the lines of them taking elements they like from everywhere, as in the comics, the Bible etc. Consequently, I don't believe there is (reliable) source material we can go by and I also think we need to keep an open mind about everything because we have no idea how they're going to spin the story because the story that they're creating doesn't yet exist.

Just how I see it.

I guffawed at Mazi's Shirley Temple creation.  That was a truly glorious moment.  You know why it really worked?  Because she totally meant to have Trixie drink it!

I need much more of that and not the nice factor being ramrodded into both Mazi and Luci.

I hope Dan is dead.*  Luci can give Trixie all the chocolate cake she can ever dream of having.

*NB:  Dan is a purely fictional character.  A badly-drawn one.    

What I want to know, what kind of Uber driver just picks up an 8 year old and delivers her to a bar on the strip.  Chloe might want to look into that in an official capacity.

This is the town that Drew Barrymore grew up in, after all...

• Love 4

I think she's under the impression he is commited to the persona and determined not to break character, rather than genuinely delusional. Moreso, so arrogant that he refuses to acknowledge it's a bit. That's how I see her getting around how she should otherwise by now think he's insane.

I think Chloe believes that Lucifer believes what he's saying. When he said he has never lied to her and would never lie to her, she accepted it and didn't ask him why he lies about being the devil.

Getting Lucifer committed or even getting a restraining order would be really difficult. How would she explain it to her captain, who has assigned Lucifer to work with her? She'd have to build a case on him, documenting all the times he's been reckless, self-destructive, or put others in danger. And she'd probably also need to convince Dr. Linda to write some damning psychiatric evaluation.

If Chloe thinks he's a danger to himself and others, and she (currently) can't do much about it, then the most sensible thing is what she's already doing -- having him as a partner where she can keep an eye on him and hopefully restrain his most destructive impulses. The alternative would be like the first few episodes where Lucifer would go off on his own and still meddle in her cases.

I also think Chloe's judgment is a bit clouded because she genuinely likes Lucifer, and she's seen that he has a vulnerable side and more depth to his personality than the playboy club owner persona. So while she knows he can be crazy and dangerous, she's not yet willing to write him off as a hopeless case that should be committed.

I think she's starting to believe there's something supernatural going on with him. At the kitchen, she openly awknowledged that he might be able to do "something"; that's huge. And I think she isn't freaking out exactly because of that, because he's helping. Our Lucifer isn't doing the things Satan is supposed to do. So imo, she could be opening to the idea that he might be telling the truth, the whole truth. Meaning, that yes, he's Lucifer but a Lucifer who hates Hell and isn't interested in hurting innocent people, a Lucifer who isn't evil at heart.

Chloe knows there's something weird going on with him. She's just believes that the explanation is something other than "I'm the devil." But since she knows "I'm the devil" is the only explanation that she's going to get from him, it would be pointless to continually confront him about the weird things she sees him doing. Getting an acceptable explanation is something she has to do on her own. I think that she hasn't continued to investigate his abilities as she did in the early episodes because he has become more of a friend to her than a case to figure out.

Regarding Lucifer's speed, I wish they had gone with the explanation that he has the ability to slow down time like Amenadiel does, rather than what they seem to be saying, which is that Lucifer is like the Flash. I guess I can fanwank that he can slow down time, but usually likes Amenadiel to do it because his asking annoys Amenadiel...

Both, Brandt (on Twitter) and Henderson in the afterbuzz interview have said that  it's loosely based on the comics, with an emphasis on loosely. I think Henderson also said something along the lines of them taking elements they like from everywhere, as in the comics, the Bible etc. Consequently, I don't believe there is (reliable) source material we can go by and I also think we need to keep an open mind about everything because we have no idea how they're going to spin the story because the story that they're creating doesn't yet exist.

Henderson has also said that they like taking a theme from the comics, figuring out what the essence of the theme is, and then finding a more grounded way to express it on the show.

There's an interview (I can't remember where, Comic Con perhaps) where he said that the writing staff has atheists, agnostics and believers, and surprisingly it's the atheists that have come up with the more religious-themed stories.

• Love 2
There's an interview (I can't remember where, Comic Con perhaps) where he said that the writing staff has atheists, agnostics and believers, and surprisingly it's the atheists that have come up with the more religious-themed stories.

According to studies, atheists actually know more about different religions than believers. Also, there's probably a different POV if there are no personal experiences slipping in, so this makes sense.

• Love 1

Regarding Lucifer's speed, I wish they had gone with the explanation that he has the ability to slow down time like Amenadiel does, rather than what they seem to be saying, which is that Lucifer is like the Flash. I guess I can fanwank that he can slow down time, but usually likes Amenadiel to do it because his asking annoys Amenadiel...

If it helps with the fanwanking, the way I explain it is that when Amenadiel slows down time, he's doing it to whole groups on a large scale, which could be considered 'Powerful' capital P.  When Luci zips himself from spot to spot, he's just affecting himself, 1 being which is a much smaller expression of power.

• Love 1
(edited)

My headcannon for it is that what Amenadiel is doing is bringing some of Heaven's timeless and eternal quality with him when he manifests invisibly on earth, and while Lucifer can still perceive and move within that "field" because he's a higher-dimensional immortal, he no longer exists in the state of grace needed to generate the effect himself. Likewise, it's not within his power to do things like resurrect the dead or harrow Hell to free a damned soul—those feats require not just being powerful, but having the divine authority to do so. What he probably can do on his own includes synching himself with Hell's speeded-up rate of time to move faster than normal, bringing some of Hell to earth to shatter people's sanity (his true face is scary, but doesn't explain anyone being driven permanently crazy or committing suicide to get away from the sight of him), and eroding people's inhibitions so they give in to temptation or carelessly admit to their deepest desires. I would assume that at least prior to the becoming mortal process he also had control of fire/destructive energy far in excess of any offensive powers Amenadiel might have.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 3

I think Chloe believes that Lucifer believes what he's saying. When he said he has never lied to her and would never lie to her, she accepted it and didn't ask him why he lies about being the devil.

Getting Lucifer committed or even getting a restraining order would be really difficult. How would she explain it to her captain, who has assigned Lucifer to work with her? She'd have to build a case on him, documenting all the times he's been reckless, self-destructive, or put others in danger. And she'd probably also need to convince Dr. Linda to write some damning psychiatric evaluation.

Well, really the problem is that Chloe has gone so long allowing this to occur that if she were to report, she'd also be getting herself in trouble simply because she's failed to report.  Oh, and also because she shot someone and then lied about it and then watched that same person harm others.  Outside of that, she doesn't need Dr. Linda to write an evaluation.  Lucifer has harmed himself, has begged others to harm him, has harmed others, has threatened others with harm, and showcased serious delusions.  If police can't intervene on these sorts of things, then they are effectively useless considering they are supposed to be there to protect the public.  Whether or not Lucifer says he'll never lie to her is pretty meaningless is how Chloe can (and frankly should) react in a case like this.  

• Love 1

Maze trying to branch out and make friends with both Dr. Linda and Trixie, is the best thing to ever happen to this show!  OK, not really, but it is still freaking hilarious. I can only imagine the antics Maze and Linda will get into.  And while Maze probably needs to freshen up on her alcohol serving rules, I loved how she kind of enjoys Trixie (unlike Lucifer, who is still kind of scared of her.)  If they don't go down the kidnap route, I so want Trixie's bully to come back into the picture, and Maze finds outs about that.

The case of the week wasn't all that interesting, although it was kind of nice seeing Manny Montana again after Graceland got canceled.

The big family dinner scene was entertaining, even if maybe not as insane as some on other shows.  Even a dinner scene with the devil, a cop, her jealous ex, a suspect, and the show mom from hell can't quite reach the insanity of a Lyons family dinner on Empire!

Pretty sure Malcolm only put Dan to sleep, but he might wish he was dead, depending on what Malcolm does with him.  If I had to guess, I'm wondering if Malcolmis going to somehow try to set him up to the fall, when he attempts to kill Lucifer.

Lucifer turning down drunk Chloe was a surprising moment.  Then again, while Lucifer is a cad, the character we've seen so far does strike me as someone who wouldn't do that.  Sure, he'd sleep with every Britney that his available, but he knows Chloe wasn't herself there.  Sure, he's Satan and everything, but he has his limits, I guess.

• Love 2

I don't think Lucifer wants Chloe in a way that would be satisfied by doing her while she's drunk. He wants her to want him like everyone else does. If she doesn't come to him of her own free will, fully conscious of what she is doing, then it doesn't actually count. This version of the Devil isn't cruel or immoral, he is more about punishing the bad which I find interesting since the whole point of him quitting his job and coming to earth was because he was pissed at the job he was given, but he's here doing that exact job. I would love for them to touch upon that.

And yes, Maze making friends with Trixie and Dr. Linda is the best thing to happen to this show. Everything about it, the drink being a highlight, but I love that Maze, being a demon, doesn't really seem to understand the concept of mortal age and pretty much just treated Trixie like she would an adult because she doesn't get that kids are different. Her asking Dr. Linda out for drinks was just made of awesome potential. I hope it isn't something that happens only offscreen and is mentioned now and then. I want to see those two wild ladies out on the town. I think there is so much potential there.

• Love 4

I don't think Lucifer wants Chloe in a way that would be satisfied by doing her while she's drunk. He wants her to want him like everyone else does. If she doesn't come to him of her own free will, fully conscious of what she is doing, then it doesn't actually count. This version of the Devil isn't cruel or immoral, he is more about punishing the bad which I find interesting since the whole point of him quitting his job and coming to earth was because he was pissed at the job he was given, but he's here doing that exact job. I would love for them to touch upon that.

Actually they did, briefly.

In the episode with the sports agent, at the end after one of his 'payments' to Dr. Linda he was talking with her and he mentions that when he was doing the punishment deal as a 'job' for his father, he hated it but now that he was doing it as a choice of his own, he rather enjoyed it.

• Love 2

I wonder how long it's going to be before John Constantine puts in an appearance on this show. Might be interesting to see how this version of Lucifer reacts to a human who knows who he is but doesn't seem much impressed.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was waiting for her to show up until I realised she must be somewhere in Chloe's mother. I never would have recognised her.

Chiming in on the WTF happened to the lovely Rebecca de Mornay? The original actually would be good casting as Lauren Geman's mom, with the high cheekbones and sleek hair, but who is this puffy generic looking woman? I haven't seen anyone so unrecognizable since Renée Zellweger.

Also, is it just me or does it seem like the Drybar menu has completely taken over the styling of women's hair on TV? "Rebecca de Mornay" clearly has the Cosmo, which wouldn't have suited her original face and doesn't do much for this one, and Lauren German, when she finally let her hair down (finally! but why does she have to be drunk to do it?) was in the slightly disheveled Mai Tai, usually the choice for the starlet with chin-length or shorter hair, but I guess it works here.

Those two could wreak some serious havoc. Can you imagine a drunk Dr. Linda out and about with Maze? It would also be interesting to see Lucifer's reaction given that he told Maze to get lost.

I would sooo totally go out with them for a night on the town. Seems like just the right balance of yin & yang with whom to have, um, pardon the term, hella fun.

The writers are playing with us. I really hope Malcolm shoots Lucifer only for the both of them to find out that Lucifer is actually only allergic to bullets when they are fired by Chloe. I'm hoping for a rather violent outbreak the moment he realises; red face, (hell's) bells and whistles and all that jazz, sending Malcolm and his unfortunate facial hair to a mental institution that not even Amenadude can get him out of. Or directly to hell; he's barely been awake and is already going on my nerves. It would also be interesting to see Chloe's reaction if Lucifer actually killed someone.

Amen. More dark, less dull.

Yes, that was me. Off topic, but INXS has been short changed by music history, so I'm always glad to hear them pop up somewhere. I managed to keep my cackling in check long enough for the song being brought to a screeching halt. I hadn't heard that version before ;-)

Really? I thought that was the original? The episode is deleted from my DVR and I don't think I want to wait through commercials to listen again, but does anyone have the episode recorded still or have the music credits? Curious because that song is definitely part of the soundtrack to my misspent youth, and either I'm losing brain cells more rapidly than I thought now, in my early dotage, or I spent more time back then impaired than I should have (or both! also possible!) — or I just wasn't paying enough attention as my thoughts wandered to dreamy doomed Michael Hutchence and his shirtlessness on at least one album cover.

Also (and again I may be blinded by my abiding Michael Hutchence lust-crush or lingering traces of the questionable choices I made in fashion and music in the '80s and early '90s, and the fact that all of my girlfriends from that time continue to be on board), but why do you think INXS has been underrated?

Maybe I don't want to know — but I feel I should! I know the pleated, pegged acid-washed jeans, color-matched tights, crazy poofy hair, slashes of "contour" blush, and ruffly ruffly formal dresses were indefensible, but I do I really need to make the case for "Suicide Blonde"?

Oh, I think we can come up with quite a few. Hell's Bells by AC/DC or Econoline Crush's The Devil You Know would be a departure style-wise. Then there's Pearl Jam's Satan's Bed, The Beatles' The Devil in her Heart, Elvis Presley's (You're the) Devil in Disguise (I don't know how the estate is handling rights for TV shows),....

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot Kris Kristofferson's 'To Beat the Devil' and 'The Silver Tongued Devil and I'

Suggested musical selections would be a fun thread to create on its own! Offhand, I was thinking Daniel Lanois' "Sleeping in the Devil's Bed" and Joan Armatrading also has a wistful love-lost-you-know-is-no-good-for-you song called "The Devil You Know." On a whimsical note, there's Belinda Carlisle and "Heaven is a Place for Us" — I can imagine a good ironic use for that one somewhere.

Edited to say: Turns out storyskip beat me to it and such a thread already exists: go forth and share!

BTW, does anyone know if it was legal for the Uber driver to take her on her own? I'm watching from across the pond and this seemed very stange to me. Especially in that outfit with a week's worth of make-up on her face.

There's no law against it as far as I know. It would be up to Uber to set their own rules or at the discretion of the driver. The part with the iffy legalities would be at either end of the trip when the kid is technically alone. Most states have laws about the age in which a child can be alone. I doubt I'd drive an unaccompanied minor, though to be fair, I doubt I'd ever drive with random strangers in my car to begin with

EDIT: Updated answer on Über question because I was curious if anything had changed in last 6 mos, as I know Über and the other ride apps are always morphing to change circumstances, and because we just had an extremely unpleasant and time-consuming experience with an Über driver making an illegal left turn right into the side door of our family minivan (thankfully nobody inside but my husband driving and he wasn't hurt), and you would.not.believe the insurance headache.

Anyhoodle, back on topic and how plausible is it that Trixie could Über herself to a Hollywood nightclub using Mom's phone?, Minimum age for either app user/member or unaccompanied rider for both Lyft and Über is 18, no exceptions, in all states and countries where they operate. California legislature is considering making this law, but for now it they are just company policies — although it is clear from many "lifestyle" articles in various publications that many families use the services to get their kids to/from school, after school activities, etc. There is a service called Shuddle in the SF Bay Area and another called Hop Skip and Ride in LA, both with heightened security, much more stringent background checks (and much higher prices to go along with), but Über and Lyft will disavow and break ties with any driver or app user who puts an unaccompanied minor in a car for violating the driver contract or TOS (app user/member must certify when signing up that s/he is 18+). So it looks like if your Über or Lyft driver is cool with it, you can do it, but in case of an accident, neither the driver's personal insurance nor the company insurance will cover anything, since it is in violation of the terms of both insurance policies.

Edited by Margherita Erdman
  • Love 1

Suggested musical selections would be a fun thread to create on its own! Offhand, I was thinking Daniel Lanois' "Sleeping in the Devil's Bed" and Joan Armatrading also has a wistful love-lost-you-know-is-no-good-for-you song called "The Devil You Know." On a whimsical note, there's Belinda Carlisle and "Heaven is a Place for Us" — I can imagine a good ironic use for that one somewhere.

Absolutely! Oh, Daniel Lanois, nice one! Please no Belinda Carlisle! The radio station with the best traffic updates over here is obsessed with her and it's driving me nuts- Lyrically though, it would be brilliant. They say in heaven, love comes first. Did you hear that, Amenadude & Co? ;-)

I happen to know the answer to this question because we investigated Über as a carpool backup when we moved the kid to private school this year. No go. Minimum age is 13, or 16 maybe, I can't remember because it was way too old to work for us. Über is piloting a new service called Über Kids with heightened security (and presumably heightened prices) but only in SF Bay Area right now. However I understand there are drivers who will ignore the rule.

That's interesting, thank you! As a cop, Chloe should have gone after the driver who took the ride.

That's interesting, thank you! As a cop, Chloe should have gone after the driver who took the ride.

Well, she would be going after him as a parent or Uber member rather than as a cop.  That means filing a complaint with the company and/or giving poor ratings and reviews to the driver.  A cop can't just go around arresting and ticketing people for breaking the rules of a company unless the violation is also against the law.  Which in this case, it isn't.  

Well, she would be going after him as a parent or Uber member rather than as a cop.  That means filing a complaint with the company and/or giving poor ratings and reviews to the driver.  A cop can't just go around arresting and ticketing people for breaking the rules of a company unless the violation is also against the law.  Which in this case, it isn't.  

Sorry, I didn't phrase that clearly. I meant, as a cop, she should know the driver wasn't allowed to take Trixie, but she only expressed surprise that Trixie had used her account. I would have been furious that the driver took her to Lux without insisting on checking with her parents first.

So 10 year olds are allowed to take taxis/Uber/whatever on their own in California? Bloody hell, I live in a country where we could actually be sent to buy our grandmother's liquor and cigarettes at the age of 6 and no one batted an eyelid, but if we had tried to take a taxi, the driver would have called the police immediately to check out where the hell our guardians were.

Did the angel tell Bad Detective to get a gun from the property room to kill Lucifer OR did bad detective come up with that idea on his own?

They acted like the gun would be untraceable? But having come from police evidence, it should be the exact opposite of untraceable. Any bullets recovered from a shooting would immediately point back to a gun that was already in police custody, thus implicating a member of the police and narrowing down the list of (probably numerous, considering his Luciferness) suspects.

They basically got out of a burning building unharmed. And I'd really have loved to see more that scene because come on. Fire is Lucifer's element, isn't it? 

This is brought up so many times in the comic when people think they can use fire against him. But I guess Lucifer's all squishy and vulnerable and toast-able now.

Sorry, I didn't phrase that clearly. I meant, as a cop, she should know the driver wasn't allowed to take Trixie, but she only expressed surprise that Trixie had used her account. I would have been furious that the driver took her to Lux without insisting on checking with her parents first.

I would think that's damn near kidnapping, driving off with an unaccompanied minor. Whether she asked for the ride or not, you'd think the driver would want to avoid the potential police chase.

• Love 2

I at least hope Chloe sat Trixie down and had a nice, long talk about getting into cars with strangers, even if they are Uber cars, taxis, whatever. You are a vulnerable little girl all alone. Do not go off anywhere with anyone you don't know. Unless Uber (I know nothing about it) has "regulars" and so the driver knew Trixie and had driven her around with Chloe countless times. I just thought Trixie was smarter than that. I know she's a kid, but she's got two cops as parents. You'd think they've have had this talk before.

• Love 2

While the Uber situation with Trixie is definitely disturbing, there's something else that bothers me:
Chloe heads out after dark to Lux with seduction on her (drunken) mind.  From the trailer for next week, it seems that she wakes up in Lucifer's apartment with the sun streaming in the windows.   We know that Grandma Penelope has an early flight and would most likely have to leave for the airport in the wee small hours of the morning, which is why she stayed up late to say goodbye to Chloe.  So, who's at home with Trixie?

Sorry, I'm a mom.  I zero in on this stuff!

• Love 2

I just rewatched the pilot episode a couple days ago, and my frustration with Detective Douche has been renewed. Knowing now that he was the one who shot Malcolm, I'm especially annoyed at his behavior in the pilot and first few episodes. He's condescending, he lectures Chloe and he treats her as if she's a screw-up as a person and a cop, all the while knowing full well that 1) she's not wrong, Malcolm was a dirty cop, 2) Dan knows info about the case but has let her twist in the wind, ostracized and condemned by her bosses and her fellow cops ALL THIS TIME. 

What a dick.

And he's even joined in with them in the condemnation, telling her how wrong she is, how she screwed up, repeatedly reminding her that she better not mess up again or she'll destroy her career. That's pathetic. He doesn't have to do that. He doesn't have to take that tone with Chloe. He doesn't have to treat her like a screw-up, or like her instincts are wrong or she's crazy. But he chooses to do that to his own wife and the mother of his child. 

I wonder if Lucifer will be the one to dole out Detective Dan's punishment. (I'm sure he'd want to, especially when he figures out what Dan has done, and what he's done to Chloe.) Or I wonder if Chloe will beg him not to, because she's conflicted.

• Love 2
(edited)

I would love Dan to be the one who saves Lucifer from getting shot by Malcom. Then Lucifer can be torn between punishing Dan and owing Dan a favor for foiling Amenadiel's plan.

Edited by vampdetective
  • Love 2

I'm trying to be more open minded about dour female characters after recent events on Arrow, but Chloe just seems miserable all the time and it's no fun to watch. She also always looks ... Anemic? Not skinny-bashing the actress, but the shadows under her eyes and jawline add to the "downer" vibe. Maybe if they let her smile or crack a joke now and then, but no, she has to play straight man to Lucifer's "Hank Moody Lite".

(I'm catching up off-season. I see lots of people have managed to get into the mythology of the show, but I'm finding Lucifer to be very one-note and Chloe to be kind of zero-note. I'm not into Cute Kid characters and I've seen Det. Douchebag on too many genre shows already, so it kind of leaves no one but Mazikeen and the twitchy shrink to be interested in.)