Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Thirty Nine Graves

I hope with the merging of Julia's and Quentin's stories, the show no longer feels the need to continue the weird lighting/color effect. Julia's scenes were always shot in this dingy blue/grey color while Quentin's scenes were mainly shot in a bright gold/red color. Maybe now the lighting colors can be normal for all scenes.

If the Library is outside of the time loop and exists in alternate timelines/universes, then the books must be the only thing constant. I wonder if the Librarian has banished Elliot and gang from the Library forever in all timelines/universes? If so, then it makes what Elliot did infinitely worse. Before he only killed Mike's shell body, now he has killed Mike's soul.

I am beginning to wonder about this Ember entity. He seems overly powerful. He was able to give Jane a watch, locket, and button that can give direct access to Fillory and stop time and create a time loop in worlds outside of Fillory. Is he supposed to be a God too? If the Ember is so powerful, why can't he stop the Beast from killing people who come (or can potentially come) to Fillory?

• Love 1

I'm not sure I'm team Julia yet, but she wasn't nearly as annoying this episode.  I think she had to not get into Brakebills because as Quinton pointed out she has always gotten exactly what she wanted.  Didn't Margo point out that magic comes from your stuggles, your pain?  Julia didn't have any of that because she was the special snowflake.  Maybe she needed to experience some pain and not get exactly what she wanted to be strong enough to face the beast with the others.

Yeahbut, from the start Quentin has been the super-DUPER special snowflake, and he got in just fine, and the Beast wants him specifically, and he's the one whose death is foretold and the one everyone is all worried about. Save the mopey emo hottie; save the world. (Why does this bother me here, and not in Harry Potter? Probably something to do with the atmosphere of privilege and the Holden Caufieldness of it all.) Julia has been through hell and back while Q was dicking around in magical prep school playing The Secret History with his louche new friends.

Gah. I still like the show a lot more than the book. I just wish that 1) I could tell all the brunettes apart and 2) "They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast" wasn't running through my head.

On 4/6/2016 at 0:11 AM, stillshimpy said:

Pretty sure it was a revelation, because we kind of have to conclude that there was much more to the conversation with Dean Fogg than we saw.  

It explains why Julia retained her memory of Brakebills. Jane needed somebody "off the Garden Path". So I'm glad that's finally explained. 

Mostly what I loved about this episode is this conversation:

Q: I'm sorry, I fucked up

J: Maybe but I fucked up more. 

Yes thank you. Quentin realising he's an asshole and Julia realising she was behaving like an entitled princess? That's actual character development. I like it.

Also, Alice and Penny are badasses. Love.

• Love 1

Just watched this episode. From the previous episode, Alice kept saying how much she loved Quentin and he kept saying how alone he felt after they drank their emotions the first time. So, I can see how the night before happened. Quentin was sad and alone and Alice was off battling, so he got involved in a Devil's three-way (HT HIMYM). Alice was especially torn up because she was falling for him. I don't know if she needed to go get some, but she and Penny can hook up without deep feelings. Of course, they're also the most gifted magicians.

I have no idea if there's a way to take apart this time loop, but I wonder if it started because the other class broke into Fillory on Spring Break or because Quentin has some really super special connection to it. I'm waiting until Friday to find out to limit my withdrawal until the S2 opener.

I was so glad the two storylines are finally converging.  At least the reconciliation between Julia and Quentin was well done and that was good payoff, though not worth so many episodes of annoying Julia subplots, including the latest goddess stuff.

Although I liked Quentin and Alice together, it was nice to see Quentin working with Julia to get to Fillory.  I wish we saw more of them time travelling.  They skipped a lot.  I assume they got to England using the same portal as last time.  The events of this episode could have been spread out to two episodes.

I enjoyed the second visit to the library.  Eliot was frustrating to watch.  I get he's hurt but he's putting everyone's lives in danger.  

The concept of Jane setting up a time loop was really intriguing.  I wish the show would focus a bit more on stuff like that rather than frivolous and ultimately unnecessary drama like the whole threesome fiasco.  

There is a lot of momentum going into the finale.  I kind of hope they defeat the Beast... I don't know if I can stand another season of this.  But I suspect not.