Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E10: The Knockouts Premiere

• Start Topic

Off the top of my head, in this episode I think Miley started out strong with how she worked with Angie on how to try and navigate the rap/spoken word start to that Sam Hunt song. I mean it was still ultimately a disastrous choice that played a big role in her getting eliminated.....but I think w/out Miley's help her performance could've been much worse.

I thought the comment to have Hannah start at the mic stand was spot on, and she especially seemed engaged in the mentoring session with Lacy on Zombie. Overall (IMO) it just felt like she was very plugged in to trying to make all of these contestants better and the general vocal advice she gave was geared to figure out ways to free up their vocals and give them the best chance to stay on pitch and present the best version of themselves during these KOs.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 2

I don't particularly care for Miley, and my septuagenarian mother despises her and her antics, but we both felt she did an excellent job as a mentor. My mother may now even be open to the possibility of her as a coach. You could have knocked me over with a feather when my mom said that. %uD83D%uDE32

• Love 4

Off the top of my head, in this episode I think Miley started out strong with how she worked with Angie on how to try and navigate the rap/spoken word start to that Sam Hunt song. I mean it was still ultimately a disastrous choice that played a big role in her getting eliminated.....but I think w/out Miley's help her performance could've been much worse.

Yea I agree, it would have been a complete trainwreck without the changes Miley suggested. She was rushing through the song for reasons unknown; the tempo was off, pacing was off, her pitch was off; and worst of all, she used too many "styles" in an attempt to make the song her own. It was all over the place when she could have just sung it straight up like Zach Seabaum did in his Blinds last season.

That said, I think she would still lose to Paxton no matter what she does. This song or not.

I liked Miley as a coach since she SANG examples of how to improve the contestants instead of just saying they were pitchy and sing softer or louder or longer or ... whatever.

Bingo. That way we could actually hear that most of the advice she was giving was decent. And it didn't come off the way it usually does when Christina inserts herself into a lot of performances. Miley was emulating the people singing (albeit only if it was in Miley's own vocal range) whereas Christina tends to "Christina-ize" everything we hear come from her when we see her chime in.

I don't particularly care for Miley, and my septuagenarian mother despises her and her antics, but we both felt she did an excellent job as a mentor. My mother may now even be open to the possibility of her as a coach. You could have knocked me over with a feather when my mom said that.

I always remember a few years ago, even before she changed her hair, when Miley was at some kind of party with a penis-shaped cake and posed for photos mock-fellating the cake. I took up many posts on Television Without Pity railing about how idiotic that was. But I've really changed my tune on her since, even though her actual live act now includes stuff like riding a giant penis onto the stage and the endless tongue wagging.

I get this odd duality out of her that I've adjusted to that the antics are on some level just to put on a show, but at the same time it's real self-expression too. She doesn't give two fucks what most of the world thinks, and so there's a kind of honesty that comes from that which is totally absent from someone like, lets says, Taylor Swift... who in contrast comes off as the fakest least sincere person ever. Miley is societally shit-stirring, but there's also sincerity there. I also think in an odd way people can identify with Miley. If they were still young and rebellious they can see tossing the bird to society and shamelessly acting like her. Whereas Taylor Swift, to use that comparison again, is like this cold unreal edifice.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

Oh, is anyone else finally getting fed up with how Blake ONLY compares people to country artists, even when they're not singing country. It's happened a few times recently, most noticably when that one contestant was singing Fleetwood Mac and he told her she sounded like Trisha Yearwood. Well lots of female contestants apparently sound like Trisha Yearwood to him, I think, because I know I've heard him use that one many times before. But honestly Blake.. for a Fleetwood Mac song? Come the fuck on. She had rearragned the song and there might have been a few token "country" wah-wahs in the background, but it was minimal.

I think the male equivalent is split between Travis Tritt and Luke Bryan. He's constantly name checking them too.

Shalyah was impressive.  As far as young belters go, I enjoyed her perhaps more than any other who has been on this show.  And she has a gorgeous smile and stage presence.  She looked like she was ecstatic, and that's contagious.

She clearly won that round. But I could sense the moment Pharrell talked about trusting his gut that he was going to try gaming the system again (like he did a few episodes ago) and pick the other girl. Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
I've never heard that song about a river that Alisan sang.  I don't think she'll go too deep if she keeps with the moldy oldies.  That vintage-y sound is only cool if you can make it feel modern, too.  I don't think she brings something fresh to it, though she can sing well.

"River" is actually Joni Mitchell too, from the album "Blue." It came out the year after "Ladies of the Canyon" which featured "Big Yellow Taxi." Alison did a nice job with it but didn't particularly bring anything new to it. Then again, the song and arrangement is pretty much perfect as it is. 

Edited by violetr
  • Love 4

Ryan was SO out of the pocket, I could hardly listen. He was something like half a beat ahead of the band for the first verse. I was surprised none of the judges asked him if he was having trouble hearing the band or something... I don't recall that problem from his earlier performances. The voice itself is a moot point if you can't sing in time (or, I'll grant you, purposefully out of time). 

• Love 1

Thanks for all the responses on how Miley was a good coach.  I finally had time to go back and listen to her and I agree, she had very specific suggestions.  I can't judge whether they were very good or not, but it's a good point that they seemed tailored to the contestants.

I had a terrible impression of Miley before this show (her kids' show was annoying - my kids watched it) and I thought her songs and antics were ugly and vulgar.  However, she seems to bring out the best in the other coaches, and Christina in particular seems to be having fun.  They all seem to respect her advice.  She also is acting grown up.  Pretty good rehabilitation of her image, for me.