Type keyword(s) to search

Past Shows: Aired in 2013 or Earlier, But We Can't Forget Them

• Start Topic

I saw the Redemption episode with LAUREN a while back, and was about to come ask if there was somewhere I could watch her original episode because whoa, is she a piece of work or what?!  Then lo and behold, there it was, re-running on my TV.  And... yeah.  Wow.

She promised during her exit that we'd be seeing her on TV again soon.  Anybody seen her?

Least favorite was the two featuring the bitchy Lauren van der Snot. I have never seen a more pretentious person on the show.

I saw Lauren's first chop a couple of weeks ago and was glad to see her go and just watched her back for redemption and she gets the boot after appetizer, PERFECT!  And both times she has things to say back to the judges.  Haven't seen her anywhere else thank God...the first episode rolling her eyes up at her opponent was so childish.  

I watched it with Mr. Wordsworth who wasn't too impressed with Lance's Christian proclamations because Mr. Wordsworth has seen too often people talk the talk but never really seen them do anything that exemplifies Christian behavior.

That bugs me too, but Lance really seems to walk the walk, so I got past his Jesus-y stuff.  He just comes across as an all-around nice person, and a damned good chef.  The episode where he lost to Madison is one of my favorites because they both deserved to win.

• Useful 1

Usually I only watch the new episodes on Tuesday, but I watched a repeat from three years ago and it was so much better than what we have been getting recently. 

First of all, it wasn't a themed episode, just chefs cooking. In addition there weren't any sob stories. One of the chefs was a recovering alcoholic, but it was just an acknowledgment of his past and not spun out into some big story. My focus was on the food and what the chefs were doing with the ingredients. I paid so much more attention to that episode that I have to any other recent episode. 

I wish they would go back to that.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 5

Whoa - just saw the episode with Malik the Proud/Unable-To-Take-Criticism chef - how did I miss this episode when it first aired! That was one of the most uncomfortable Choppings ever - right up there with the guy who threatened to beat up Scott Conant (I think?) Watching Geoffrey Zakarian deliver a speech about humility just made me laugh and laugh....

Edited by cstad
  • Love 1

Watching Geoffrey Zakarian deliver a speech about humility just made me laugh and laugh....

When Zakarian has to school someone in humility, they're in trouble! (I don't remember this episode, but I'm pretty sure I caught it at some point.)

• Love 1

The female contestant just said that she is competing for women, who are afraid to grill and afraid to light the grill ???? I'm hoping I misheard her. I don't like the "I'm playing for...." anyway, but women are afraid to light the grill?

*shyly raises hand*. I'm afraid to light gas grills - I'm convinced it's going to explode horribly in my face. It's silly, I know. I'm also afraid of gas burners on stoves. I guess you could say I have a fear of gas.

We never use a gas grill, nothing but charcoal for this family. I have never liked the taste that you get from a gas grill. Besides that is not grilling. Might as well just move your kitchen stove outside, same results. Yes, charcoal takes a little more time to get started but the results are worth it. I have a friend that uses gas and has never cleaned the grill. It is caked with burnt on grease and crud. She says it takes to long to clean so she never cleans it and her food taste like the crud.

I really loved to watch Kent cook during this competition. Sad that he didn't win. He had a great personality.

Yoanne, the girl who fell and burned her legs with boiling water....who lost to Lance, but he gave her his winnings so she could visit her grandmother...I found out yesterday that it all happened. She did get to see her grandmother, and she said it was magical. I am so happy to know the outcome, and that she got to spend time with her before she passed.

• Love 10

I'm very happy that you found out what happened, cooksdelight.  I've often wondered if she actually went to see her grandmother.  I was afraid she'd get too busy to go and then regret it for the rest of her life.  Bless Lance (again) for making it happen.

• Love 3

Yoanne, the girl who fell and burned her legs with boiling water....who lost to Lance, but he gave her his winnings so she could visit her grandmother...I found out yesterday that it all happened. She did get to see her grandmother, and she said it was magical. I am so happy to know the outcome, and that she got to spend time with her before she passed.

I am so glad to know this.  I've always wondered.  Hands down, favorite Chopped ep.

• Love 1

Last night, one of the late Chopped episodes (aired at 11 p.m. or midnight, can't remember) was the classic, "Who's got a better sob story" episode with the sister's teeth, dead grandpa and brother-in-a-gang contestants. Even though I know how everything ends, I can't help but watch it every time it comes on.

And then, the noon repeat today was when Scott Connant (sp.?) got his panties in a bunch because one of the chefs RINSED his pasta! The horror! And there were raw red onions in one chef's salad! Another classic episode.

• Love 4

And then, the noon repeat today was when Scott Connant (sp.?) got his panties in a bunch because one of the chefs RINSED his pasta! The horror! And there were raw red onions in one chef's salad! Another classic episode.

I am highly omnivorous. I had chicken and shrimp for dinner last night, and I had sausage this morning for breakfast. But I am also a failed vegan, then a failed vegetarian. And I giggle hysterically when the "brutalized pasta" discussion comes up among the meat-eating judges. Because, you know, meat just magically appears without any kind of harm or undesirable handling. It's the result of magical chef-monks making the animals so happy that they die of ecstasy with big animal smiles on their faces.

In other words, it strikes me as wildly hypocritical to discuss mistreating pasta. I get that Scott is trying to make a point about the best way to cook, but maybe someone should inform him that this is a timed contest in which the chefs must move quickly and by instinct, and that the pasta really doesn't care.

• Love 2

To be fair, apparently the use of tongs on a fish - by someone whose hand is injured - is also disrespect, so it's not limited to pasta.  But, yes, I react the same way.  It's pasta.  It cannot be harmed or offended at any stage.

• Love 2

Oh, my ... the teen competition with that insufferable little turd Hunter.  Unwatchable, except for that girl's, "I have eyes, if I want to know the time I'll look at the clock" remark. 

• Love 3

I half watched the repeat with Scott Conant telling a woman she had disrespected a dead fish by using tongs so I was already irritated when the kids' episode came on.  As soon as I saw Hunter, I hit Mute and turned my back to the TV.  I think the only contestant I ever disliked more was the hoity-toity vegetarian name-dropper who cooked for the tennis sisters.  I seem to have blocked her name from my memory bank.

• Love 2

I have never made it through the Hunter episode.  I’m not sure I’ve even made it to the entrée round.  During the introductory footage, he seems quite babyish for 13 and a little annoying.  Then comes “How’s everybody doing?” – repeated, mind you, despite the fact clearly no one wants to participate in his audition for his own show – and I spike all the way over to hate mode and stay there.  Can you imagine the people that raised that kid?

I half watched the repeat with Scott Conant telling a woman she had disrespected a dead fish by using tongs. . . 

I caught the end of that episode and it reminded me of how much I hate that pseudo spiritual bullshit about "respecting" the pasta/fish/rocky mountain oysters.

I respect the skills of those that prepare my food. Be it my grandmother (who is an awesome cook) or someone like Thomas Keller. I also respect the efforts of my six year old nephew when he gives me rice krispie treats for my birthday.

But food is not a person, it has not earned my respect. The fact that it was once alive doesn't cut it for me. I like baseball, and respect the talents of guys that can mash the ball four hundred feet. But I don't respect the baseball bat, even though it was just as alive at one point as the fish Conant is crying about. 

Now, if Conant wants to tell me that technique x is inferior to technique y, I listen because I respect his opinion. But respect for the food, not at all.

[/rant]

• Love 5

He actually posted on facebook about that and how you have to respect people and the food.  He must have gotten a lot of grief for that.  He was a huge, huge ass to the young chef. What about the respect of the chef you just bitched at?  But what I don't get is the episode after that, one of the chefs has a place where she has Do It Yourself kill of animals (and people can bring in their own to be killed).  He thought that was fantastic.  My thought was the chef is showing people how to slaughter animals (yes, it's chicken, turkey, etc) but are they going to treat them with the respect they deserve - according to Scott.  What if they can't follow through with the technique.  People want to watch the process fine but having them actually do it when they may not follow through is not humane at all.

I did love the comment to him about his pasta freak out.

• Love 3
(edited)

I watched a season 2 rerun, something about buckwheat (buckwheat flour was an ingredient).  Judges were Santos, Sanchez and Alex, all of whom were thinner.  The winner was a Diane DiMeo and I was going nuts over where I saw her until I figured out she was on the first season of "The Taste", where I kinda remember her coochy coochying it up with Bourdain, who chose her.  Obviously she didn't win the Taste and I forget how far she got, she won chopped because No. 2 kept bleeding over shit and double-dipping.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 3

That needs to be put in a Hall of Fame Chopped Events or something.

I like that. Since it's your idea, I nominate you to start a Hall of Fame/Shame thread.

• Love 2
(edited)

I just watched some of the firefighter episode (I think it's an older one). But anyhow the one guy made a dish that they all seemed to like, even Alex (but maybe could have used some spice). The rest of the people didn't really do anything with the hot dogs and got mostly meh comments. Then they chopped him say that they "didn't like" the flavors, which contradicts what they just said during the tasting....

Has anyone else seen ones where they totally disagree with what the judges did?

Edited by blueray

"My Froggy Clementine" is on now, ep. #45. Scott Conant is being an ass. Because there's a nice way to say something, and Scott's way.

A lady is trying to explain something she wanted to do but it didn't work so she didn't plate it. Scott comes at her, "Then why are you telling us? We don't need to know that. Just keep it to yourself."

Really? Why not praise her for not serving you shit on a plate?

Has anyone else seen ones where they totally disagree with what the judges did?

Yes, I can't remember specifics, but it happens. The show takes forever to tape one episode. They might be debating the food for an hour or more before the chefs are called back in. Which is what we don't see, and don't hear all the debate. I usually blame the sloppy editing.

Like when they have a themed episode -- Halloween in particular -- and have the 1st chef's station decorated. But then the decorations disappear. And reappear. It is really fun to watch knowing that there is some poor set decorator out there running their ass off.

"Spouting Off" is re-airing for our lunchtime entertainment. Sung, the quiet zen cooking instructor.... what in the world ever possessed her to come on Chopped? She said that she's afraid of being in front of people (I think she does cooking lessons one-on-one) and how she needed time to breathe properly, and focus. Has she watched this show before? I felt so badly for her, I could see she was way out of her element.

"My Froggy Clementine" is on now, ep. #45. Scott Conant is being an ass.

Isn't that just about every episode he's part of??

I remember the early seasons had the intro which included something Alex said--I think to the other woman in the redemption episode with Lance and Yoanne--"How could you do this to us?" because she hadn't gotten her food plated in time.  I always used to roll my eyes and think, "No one's perfect.  Get over it.  It's not the end of the freaking world."

I noticed that Hulu has now added what seems like every episode so I'm going back to the beginning to see stuff I haven't found in repeats. The first episode was very sluggish compared to how it is now. You had 30 minutes in the appetizer round and the ingredients were octopus, paprika, bok choy and oyster sauce. The contestants were so baffled by this basket and I just couldn't understand lol. These are Asian ingredients and there was no curve ball. Nobody decided to go in an Asian direction either. For the second round it was Asian (and easy) again. Duck breast, ginger, honey and spring onion. I'd be curious to see a newer episode take these same baskets to see if you'd get more innovation from these easy baskets. Also interesting is that someone cut their finger and he wasn't made to get a band aid or even wash his hands. He even commented he needed a band aid, but he was holding his cut with a paper towel. 

A second season episode that bothered me featured a chef who made two dishes with red onion and Scott went off on him because he hates the taste of red onion. The chef was very confident in his use of them and you could tell the judges hated him. Then in the final round the other chef was making a cake which didn't cook in time and he had 5 minutes left but basically pouted and gave up. Then 30 seconds before the round ended he decided to try to make pancakes but he just gave up and didn't plate it. Then the judges asked his competitor if they could taste it and he said no. They STILL gave the win to the guy who threw the fit. It was baffling to me. I can't imagine rewarding someone who threw a fit and gave up.

Edited by KnotsLanding
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I just watched an episode from Season 11 - they had fish heads, durian, and I've already forgotten what else!

A woman called Alejandra won, and I was so happy because she beat one of the most arrogant guys I've seen on this show, and that's saying something.  His name was Robbie, a heavyset African American.  His attitude was breath-takingly ugly; at one point he made an incredibly rude comment directly to another competitor.  When asked if he had anything to say at the end, he just walked off.

As usual, I wonder what their families think (I can't imagine they have any friends).

Stumbled upon a 2013 fans pick the baskets absolute shit show. Sixty minutes of attempted “blame the fans on social media!” No. Blame the producers who knew asking would produce these boxed abominable combinations.

Having their judges treat this seriously—that’s the game! $10,000!— produced a bad look all the way around. Capped by Scott Conant telling one chef his cottage cheese panna cotta was the worst thing he’d ever eaten. (With a knife. Who raised him?) Show-boating ass much? 

Didn’t help that the chef was desperate to win the money—I was concerned for him at the end, saying he felt unable to face his family and staff. And knowing that millions had been told he produced the worst food ever. (Other judges didn’t appear to go along with that particular assessment, btw.) Bread and circuses.

• Love 1