Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Routines

• Start Topic

Ryan not only didn't get any love while he was a contestant, they didn't even acknowledge him when he partnered with Eliana.

Yeah, I found that really low.  I was not a fan of his during his season, but I saw him and Ashley in Burn The Floor and had a change of heart.  I think every other All-Star at least got a "good to see you again" but Nigel and the other judges just pretended he wasn't even there. 

I'll group my routines by seasons.  Most of the iconic ones have been listed already, so I won't bother mentioning those.

Seasons 1 and 2: Didn't watch :(

Season 3:

Pasha & Sara west coast swing, and Sara & Neil disco  -  These were both so energetic and fun.

Anya & Danny foxtrot  -  They didn't spend much time in hold, but I didn't care, b/c this is SYTYCD, not DWTS.  Danny had so much panache.

Season 4:

Courtney & Gev hip hop  -  Really liked the Cecily and Olisa choreo.  I couldn't take my eyes off Courtney, she totally outdanced Gev.

Twitch & Comfort hip hop  -  Twitch did the worm move ON HIS BACK and made it look effortless.  Amazing

Will & Jessica adam and eve contemporary  -  One of the sexiest contemporary routines ever on the show, imo.

Season 5:

Brandon & Janette hip hop  -  For a non-hiphop dancer, Brandon was surprisingly good.

Brandon & Janette Argentine tango  -  Impressed by how closely Janette imitated Miriam's style of dancing.

Jeanine & Phillip "Mad" hip hop, week one  -  After watching this routine, I knew Jeanine would go far in the competition.  She had charisma and warmth as a performer.

Season 6:

Kathryn & Jakob contemporary  -  When I hear the words "SYTYCD contemporary," this is one of the routines that pops into my mind.  The technique, the emotion, it was all there.

Ryan & Kathryn cha cha  -  One of my favorite Jason Gilkison routines.  Ryan was so manly.

Jakob & Mollee waltz and Broadway  -  Both of these routines made me feel like I was watching an old Hollywood musical.

Sorry for the long post!  I'll do Seasons 7-10 separately.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have several favorites over the seasons, many have already been mentioned and linked.

1)  Butt Dance - Evan and Randi choroegraphed by Mia Michaels has held the #1 spot for me

2)  Mad World - Billy Bell and Ade

3)  Rama Lama - season 2 group by Wade Robson

4)  Sexy Back - season 2, Top 4, another Wade Robson creation. Loved Benji and Travis in that one

5)  Comanche - season 6, Top 20 by Wade Robson. Don't think this one has been linked yet........http://youtu.be/3oKxsfOqBdg

......The tap routine by Nick, Jess LeProtto and someone else......

My goodness....how could I forget this one? This number was saved on my Tivo until the DVR broke and had to be sent to pasture. LOVE that rountine. Jess Le Protto was the best IMHO........

http://youtu.be/ul1RJ0gvdLg

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 2
My goodness....how could I forget this one? This number was saved on my Tivo until the DVR broke and had to be sent to pasture. LOVE that rountine. Jess Le Protto was the best IMHO........

- luvthepros

IIRC didn't those three also choreograph that routine?

It was so much fun and I think, although most people won't remember Matt Flint, it was a much better introduction to him as the UK winner than the solo routines that Jack Chambers (who I loved) and Talia Fowler (who I also loved) were given to perform as part of their prize for winning SYTYCD AU 1 & 2.  They were so much better than the routines they were given (sorry Mia and Sonya, respectively), but at least they got to hang out with some of the US contestants and expand their contacts. 

(edited)

So aside from remembering some really great routines, this thread has mostly made me realize how much I miss the original stage (because the newer one is still terrible and I will never get used to it).

Here is Sexy Back (I truly loved all 4 of these contestants but Donyelle was fierce in this!).  Anyway, it has that club feel/atmosphere that really added to the dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cLYiApwEZA

and here is Comanche- another Wade Robson I love but on the "new stage."  It just makes it feel more removed- and it is so freaking giant and cavernous it makes the cameramen do strange things.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MefBJeSdLl8

And here is Calle Ocho, just because it was awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z_sCBGdN2k

Edited by gik910
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm afraid that my knowledge in this arena is very limited as I stopped watching after season 3, but I do know the answer to what I bolded below.

A lot of the ones listed are favorites of mine as well.  I'll add a few more (forgive me, but I'm terrible with names and half the time I don't know the music) - here's hoping you can figure out the ones I mean.  <lol>

Joshua and Katee's Bollywood number

Benji and Travis and the schoolboy routine

Hok and somebody with the hummingbird routine

Benji and Donyelle's Broadway

The one Jenna and Marko did

The tap routine by Nick, Jess LeProtto and someone else

Yeah, I suck at this. 

You're thinking of Hok's and Jaimie's dance to Wade's choreography. I loved that one, too! Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZJpA9e7cCY

Also, I'm having a hell of a time finding a working video of Danny Tidwell "dancing for his life" to Elliott Yamin's song. That was the first time I was compelled to pick up a phone and vote for any reality tv contestant. He was/is such an amazing dancer, and I alway found him moving in whatever he did on the show (and in clips on YouTube).

Edited by Mozelle

Also, I'm having a hell of a time finding a working video of Danny Tidwell "dancing for his life" to Elliott Yamin's song.

Hope this will do. It's a compilation of all of Danny's Solos in chronological order, so the Elliott Yamin one is 1st. I feel a bit hypocritical when I say this, but... I'm glad Danny was in the bottom so often because we got to witness so many incredible solos from this immensely talented dancer. 

• Love 4

Hope this will do. It's a compilation of all of Danny's Solos in chronological order, so the Elliott Yamin one is 1st. I feel a bit hypocritical when I say this, but... I'm glad Danny was in the bottom so often because we got to witness so many incredible solos from this immensely talented dancer. 

Ahhhh. Bless you! Thank you so much. Not that I've ever forgotten how great he was, but it's awesome seeing these solos as a reminder. 

• Love 1

We might find we need a Danny Tidwell thread here too.  I think it was the biggest thread on the dancers forum on TWoP's SYTYCD forum and I was so sad to lose it.  Danny makes me sad.  I hope he's happy and successful wherever he is right now - such an exquisite dancer.

Okay, here are routines I like from Seasons 7-10:

Season 7:

Wade Robson "Fame" group routine, Meet the Top 11 week  -  If I'm not mistaken, this was the last routine he choreographed for the show.  I loved the garden tea party theme and loved Mark in this.

Sonya Tayeh "Royal T" group routine  -  The part in the beginning when the male dancers lunged across the stage was cool.  Robert and Billy had a bendy, quirky quality that was perfect for Sonya's choreo.

All-Star throwbacks  -  One of the things I loved about this season was during the results shows, the All-Stars reprised some of their best-known routines.  Twitch & Comfort did "Forever," Neil & Lauren did their Wade Robson nightmare routine, and Pasha & Anya did their sexy audtion.

Season 8:

Robert & Clarice Bollywood  -  I usually hate Bollywood, but this was very enjoyable.  I liked the part when Robert spun around while Clarice "kicked" him.

Brandon & Jordan contemporary  -  An underappreciated Desmond Richardson routine.  Brandon is one of the best dancers ever on the show, imo, and he was exquisite here.

Spencer Liff's Broadway  -  I loved pretty much everything he did this season.  His Emmy nomination was well-deserved.

Season 9:

Christopher Scott "Architect of the Mind" group routine  -  Loved the robotic moves, the desk and chair choreography, and the retro costumes.  Cyrus, Matthew and Alexa were the standouts.

Nappytabs "Beautiful People" and "Circle of Life" routines  -  Nappytabs are hit-or-miss when they choreograph duets, but they're pretty awesome at group routines.

Allison & Cole contemporary  -  Both dancers wowed me with their level of commitment to the acting.  The best contemp of the season.

Season 10:

Nappytabs "Puttin' on the Ritz" group routine  -  Such a fun way to open the season.  Brilliant use of a tracking shot, and they did it in just one take.

Travis & Amy contemporary  -  Travis' choreo doesn't always appeal to me, but this was mesmerizing.  The ending pose was sexy.

Fik-Shun & Twitch hip hop  -  I was grinning from ear to ear when I watched this, thanks to the cheesy/goofy choreo.  Loved the "old man" move they did near the end (there's also a cute video on IG of Luther Brown, Nappytabs and Christopher Scott doing that move after the finale).

There are many more routines I could list... every season I find at least 12-15 routines worth rewatching.  That may not sound like much, but I think it's amazing when you consider how old SYTYCD is, and how every dance style has been repeated hundreds of times.  This show still has moments of magic for me, and I will be very sad if it's canceled :(

• Love 3

I love the Twitch/Comfort/Cyrus/Christopher Scott routine from season 9.  I could watch it on an endless loop and be happy.

Actually, any hip hop with Twitch falls into a "favorite routine" - he's just so freaking charismatic and good at what he does, that he's such a joy to watch.

• Love 1

Another fun Mandy Moore jazz routine that I like is Tadd and Lauren's Another One Bites The Dust.  Tadd had a problem with his had and Lauren accidently punched him in the face but it was still a fun dance.

• Love 1

There really needs to be more variety in the All-Stars. I think the politics behind it are one half Nigel picking his favorites and one half them listening to fans as to who should be an All-Star. All during the season premiere the official SYTYCD twitter was asking fans who should be All-Stars this season, which I can pretty much guarantee means we are going to see the same old All-Stars we have always seen. And don't get me wrong, I love all of those kids. I really do. But I want to see some of my other favorites who have never(or rarely) been back since their season.

They definitely need to bring in new All Stars. Don't get me wrong. I love Allison, Twitch, Neil, Kathryn...etc But, it gets tiring seeing the same people every season when they have such a large pool to choose from. It also becomes a problem when the routines become about those particular people  and not the contestants. Especially, when Stacey and Kathryn are involved.

There are so many past contestants I would like to see back. Jeanine, Benji, Artem, Jasmine H, Sasha, Legacy, Kayla, Chelsie, Ellenore..etc. There's more, but my memory is failing me right now. My point is, they need to re-freshen their line up. It's gotten stale over the seasons with the predictable All Stars that are used that makes the routines seem redundant and less exciting anymore. 

• Love 1

Well, Artem might be a little difficult, since he's evidently going to be a full-time pro on DWTS this fall, and rehearsals with his celeb and for the group pro numbers would start in about six weeks.  There's no way he'd be able to do any All-Star partnering this year, I don't think.

• Love 1

As someone who discovered this show way too late (Season 9), I am loving this thread. Thank you for sharing and a huge thanks for links to video so I can experience what I missed. I don't know how many times I've watched the Alex/Twitch number.

• Love 1

I loved so many of Jessica and Will's dances.  He was amazing and (I think) elevated her abilities.  Aesthetically, they were beautiful together. I don't think their personalities meshed all that well, but as a dancing couple I often found them to be undervalued:

• Love 1

Wow those are both awesome.  I had forgotten the S2 one - I think it was before I haunted youtube after the show...  S6 is the season I missed, so that one was new to me - it seemed longer than routines are these days or am I mixing the routine lengths up with DWTS?

(edited)

Ooh I forgot Aha, watching it I couldn't decide for sure if it was Mia or Wade, it was Wade.  Thanks for the link ElleTwoThree!

Mia group routines are by far the most memorable collectively for me.  Hide and Seek, The Moment I said It, The Dance, Higher Ground, Alice in Wonderland...  S5 Ava Maria, and there are many more, but not quite as well loved.

And crowceilih, I loved that Will and Jessica piece by Mandy too, also a big fan of their Hip Hop that you mentioned upthread.

eta:  if I'm honest about what I watch again and again from the show beyond Danny T's solos and duets it is this from Desmond Richardson, my goodness, who said a man could be this hot?  Dude is on fire!  And such a beautiful and luscious example of male dancers. ♥

Edited by NextIteration

This Wade Robson-choreographed jazz routine technically wasn't a group routine.  But it was performed on the Season 4 finale of SYTYCD by Cirque du Soleil and I'll never forget it.  

Homage to the Rabbits:

Damn, I miss Wade's choreo on SYTYCD.  *sniff*

• Love 3
(edited)

My favorite disco routine of all time is from season 1, with Kamilah and Nick.

It's one of the only disco dances that actually captures the spirit of disco. I miss strong hip hop dancers like Kamliah, who was also quite versatile. Another thing that is missing from recent seasons is the attitude that dancers bring to their pieces. More often than not, dancers from latter seasons concentrate so much on getting the steps and technique right that the dance is no longer fun to watch (e.g. the latest from Serge & Brooklyn and Malene and Marquet. I don't feel like anyone of them was having fun. I only felt the "fun" in Tanish and Nick's routine.)

Tyce's Jazz by Natalie and Benji. Tyce sucks at Broadway but he can do good Jazz. Natalie is absolutely beautiful. I didn't want the dance to end. And Benji was a good example of knowing how to look good in any routine even though his technique may not be all there.

Contemporary by Natalie and Musa was another great routine. Why can't we have more contemporaries like this instead of all the over-wrought Travis Wall routines?

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 3

I didn't start watching SYTYCD until Season 9. Since then, I have gone back to watch Season 3 and 4. I tend to fall in love with the fun, playful routines over the angsty ones (though I like some of those too.) I'm also a sucker for routines that feature a lot of side by side synchronized moves - I'm usually more impressed by those than by a ton of lifts.

From Season 3, I really liked:

Sara/Pasha West Coast Swing - Sara is so adorable in this and I'm a Pasha fan

Sabra/Neil Jazz to Sweet Dreams

Anya/Danny Jive (though I wish for a better song than "Girlfriend", the quickness of their legs just amazes me. Also Malene's dress in the most recent episode was like version 2.0 of Anya's dress in this jive.)

http://youtu.be/CbaEGuMLbfs

Pasha/Jessi "Stiff Jazz" - I know they ended up in the bottom 3 after this performance, but I love the choreography and I thought they did a good job.

From Season 4, I was a huge fan of Chelsie and Mark and also a fan of Katee & Joshua.

My favorite Chelsie/Mark dance was their "Kiss Kiss" jazz:

Katee & Joshua's Bollywood was a great debut for that style on the show:

http://youtu.be/kUvbfe1RB9o

Not a lot of stand-out routines for me for Season 9, though I do like the aesthetics of Cyrus/Eliana's "Toxic" hip-hop routine.

http://youtu.be/2RoSORy2RUM

I liked a lot of the routines from Season 10 - especially with the pairs of Amy/Fik-Shun (the joyful "After Party"), Aaron/Jasmine ("Gold Rush" - Jasmine works it right from the start), and Paul/Makenzie (the sexy "Pretty Lil Heart").

Another standout: Makenzie with Jakob (whose season I look forward to watching) in "Too Darn Hot":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzS-NOr-5O0

And I love rewatching the "Rock Lobster" group routine (with All-Stars) just so I can catch what all the dancers are doing.

http://youtu.be/TyU5dQ2Oryk

• Love 1
I didn't start watching SYTYCD until Season 9. Since then, I have gone back to watch Season 3 and 4.

Traboule, where did you find the older seasons? I looked for them on iTunes and Amazon, to no avail. Or did you just watch the routines on YT?

Traboule, where did you find the older seasons? I looked for them on iTunes and Amazon, to no avail. Or did you just watch the routines on YT?

Yeah, I just watched them on youtube. I started with season 3 because that's when TWoP started recapping. So I would use the recap to help me search for the routines on youtube and also to help me watch them in order. Except for a few auditions, callback routines and DFYL solos, I could pretty much find all the dance routines on youtube. Usually I could get the prepackage material, but often the judging was missing, which is actually quite okay with me. The recap would summarize everything I needed to know about the judging.

• Love 1
Yeah, I just watched them on youtube. I started with season 3 because that's when TWoP started recapping. So I would use the recap to help me search for the routines on youtube and also to help me watch them in order. Except for a few auditions, callback routines and DFYL solos, I could pretty much find all the dance routines on youtube. Usually I could get the prepackage material, but often the judging was missing, which is actually quite okay with me. The recap would summarize everything I needed to know about the judging.

That's a great approach, I'll try it.

Ahhh! So many of my favorite routines have already been mentioned. Perhaps its mere sentimentality but I have a soft spot for Seasons 1-4 because it was a bit before the show got too big for its britches in terms of expecting Emmy nods etc.  I agree with the poster upthread who preferred the dances where the dancetestants were clearly having fun whether or not they were all-pro in nailing the technique. That's what I watch for. 

Did anyone upload the Top 2 girls solo from Season One? It's still one of the best examples of how to do a fierce, abstract duet without overloading it with story. I was never a Melody fan but she danced her little ass off here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9blk5IaiGO0

• Love 1
(edited)

I would love to do a rewatch, Bella.  Especially if it was just the dancing and not the judges' comments.  (There were many judges' comments that were nasty, stupid, or vapid and I don't particularly want to relive the discussion of them.)  But I'm all in for the performances themselves.  Great idea!

Cabaret Hoover with Sara and Jesus was the only time I thought Jesus did anything interesting.  That was a fun piece.

I freaking loved Ashle and Melody's Message in a Bottle.  (Linked just above.)  The fierceness, as mentioned above.  Also, the treat of seeing a girls' duet.  (The boys' duet with Nick and Jamile was very enjoyable, also.)  Same sex duets seemed like such a fresh and revolutionary concept at the time - that kind of thinking is one of the reasons I loved the show and one of the reasons I've cut Nigel a lot of slack since.

The TWoP recaps are not the only place to find the performance information for past seasons.  Wikipedia does a good job for this, as well, and is nice if you don't want to be spoiled by someone else's impressions.  (I adore TWoP recaps for scripted shows, but I prefer to watch reality unspoiled.)

Edited by ToxicUnicorn

Love this thread and just spent a half an hour when I should have been working reviewing favorites -- some I had forgotten like Mark and Chelsie's "Kiss Kiss" jazz -- man, she was so good, and Mark's quality of movement and stage presence. And OH Natalie and Musa. Loved that couple.

A couple of things that come to me:

• Danny Tidwell, Danny Tidwell, Danny Tidwell. His solos hold up over these years. His musicality. His center. His gorgeous extensions. Sigh. Miss him still and wish him well.
  • Natalie and Musa danced like grown-ups. They each had a maturity well beyond the many 18/19 year olds we see today. As much as I love someone like Ricky -- imagine him in five years.
  • The intros to the dances were so much longer. We got to know the dancers better. And I swear that the judges did not blather on as long as they do today. That's a change the show needs to go back to.
  • Mary looks better as a brunette.

• Love 2

I can't link to it because I'm on my phone, but I really enjoyed Tyce's "Precious Things" routine with Ricky and Alison. It may have been a bit of a rip off of Mia's addiction dance, but it was danced so wonderfully that I didn't care.

I also loved Twitch and Comfort's "Forever" routine. Watching two people who are experts in what they do dance together was just magical to see. And it makes me wish that the final two male dance that season had been Twitch and Joshua doing hip hop, not Russian dance.

Actually, to be honest, any Twitch hip hop routine is a favorite of mine. He is just such a joy to watch, because he is so, so good at what he does.

• Love 1
Season 3:

Pasha & Sara west coast swing, and Sara & Neil disco  -  These were both so energetic and fun.

Anya & Danny foxtrot  -  They didn't spend much time in hold, but I didn't care, b/c this is SYTYCD, not DWTS.  Danny had so much panache.

Season 4:

Will & Jessica adam and eve contemporary  -  One of the sexiest contemporary routines ever on the show, imo.

Season 5:

Brandon & Janette Argentine tango

All of these were good. Adam and Eve is one of my favorites. It is beautiful and mature.

Some I haven't seen mentioned yet:

African jazz from Canada (later turned into last season's top 6 routine)

"Blackbird" group routine from Australia

Back in the USA, I also really liked this Pasha and Sara jazz by Mandy Moore (S3):

• Love 1
(edited)

dcalley, I too love all of those.  I've viewed the Canadian and Australian ones more times than I care to admit. (and I still tell Leah to "shut!up" every time she interrupts Tré's comments by shouting CANADA!)

I remember Kelly Abbey did a version of one of her group routines for SYTYCD US, and I thought it was based on Blackbird, but I can't remember right now.  Regardless, it didn't have the same impact.  (I think it was season 7 with the All starts because I remember Mark Kanemura in it, but no one else. 

I, sheepishly, admit to liking a LOT of Mandy Moores choreography. She creates fascinating and different mini lifts and transitions that I just love (they often make me squee). So I definitely enjoyed the Pasha/Sara jazz.  I may be the only one who really liked the contemporary piece she did for Sabra/Dominic in season 3. (I thought Sabra was a very good dancer who was ruined by the Only! Four! Years! narrative, but Danny should have won.)

Here is the Mandy Moore one.  I apologize in advance for inflicting Dominic on you all, but I thought he danced the piece well (for him).  To view only the dance go to the 3 minute mark.  All the rest is pre-package stuff. 

Edited by Anothermi
  • Love 1
(edited)

Laughs @Anothermi, you should apologize about inflicting "D-Trix" on us, I don't think there is another dancetestant that I actively hate as much as him, I just think he's a scumbag as a human being.  I remember liking that dance the first time, but not after it.  I'm not sure if it was my equal disgust with D-Trix in general or my eventual dislike of Sabra,  I thought it was a dance that would hold for me, but it just didn't.  I guess I'll never know why, and I too, love Mandy, almost everything she does.  She's a really good teacher in person as well, really inspires the dancers, whether it's jazz, musical theatre or lyrical/contemporary.

eta: that was one of my favorite Cat dresses. :)

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 1

I realized that I like a lot of Caitlynn's dances in season 8, especially Hip Hop with Ivan (that was mostly all Ivan though), "Heavy In Your Arms" with Marko and "Turning Tables" with Mitchell. 

"Let Me Love You" with Ivan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpJhv4iu82w

"Heavy In Your Arms" with Marko

"Turning Tables" with Mitchell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5hDWlaO8e4

I've loved almost all mentioned here, especially gems like Will & Jessica "Alone", the group dances, all Danny, Anya, Pasha, Twitch, Katee dances.

Kathryn is flawless. 

Season 6: Jakob & Kathryn "At This Moment" - Loooove so much! My favorite part is "kiss the ground that you walk on baby". 

Season 6: Ryan & Kathryn "Put Your Hands On Me" - Sexy as hell! Kathryn always adds little moments to her dances, and I love it.

Season 6: Legacy & Kathryn "So Deep" - hot, hot hot!

Season 3: Lacey and Kameron's Mia contemporary to "Dancing" has always been one of my favorites. It's just beautiful and haunting. 

Season 4: Katee and Joshua were just pure magic. 

"Slow Dancing In A Burning Room"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuC0vyJuIRw

Group Routines

One of my favorite recent group routines was Sonya's XR2 in Season 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDk85q50q0Q

Season 4: "Closer"

Season 4: "Elevator" - Comfort was totally the star of this one

Season 2: Top 20 - I loved how it incorporated all of the styles

Season 2: "Poison" - Just so much fun. Love old school hip hop

Season 2: "Footloose" - again, fun. Go Mary Murphy!

Season 3: "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See" - no idea who is who, but love this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvxzDA2eyNE

• Love 2

Lots of good ones there @LoquaciousAudacity !  I had forgotten about the Caitlynn ones  - and I especially loved the one with Mitchell at the time.  Sometimes routines are a lot better OUT of context of the show where the judges or other shenanigans pull focus, or even just having to compare them with other routines on the night. Some good ones escape notice at the time because of that.  

I love this thread for bringing the good back into focus because it is far too easy to remember the bad stuff (most of which is NOT the dancing).