Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: The Figgis Agency

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Well, turns out the promos are true, Archer wants to be Magnum, PI. Unfortunately for him, Cyril's name is on the agency because Archer doesn't have any law degrees.

It was good to see the gang doing actual spy work. Well, they're burglars this week, but I'm glad they're out in the field again. Krieger is still Kreiger, which is of course awesome.

"Lance Biggerstaff!"

"It sounds like a gay wizard."

"I always am."

You just know that Cheryl got a kick out of Lana grabbing her throat there. You saw it in her face.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

I thought it was a little lackluster until the gag with Archer falling down the hill, then I thought the show was great.  And Pam's flyer was fantastic.

I'm calling it now -

That was Katya that hired everyone and that disc has some top secret government information on it.

• Love 3
(edited)

I actually thought that this wasn't  bad opening and it looks like we will be getting a mystery on how Archer ends up floating in the pool, from the beginning (and you can already guess that the body was Archer's because of the gun that the two activities were holding at the crime scene). I just hope that Archer doesn't actually end up dead by the end of this season and that it will be someone else. 

Edited by TVSpectator

Good start for the new status quo. Nice that "Furlock Bones" has a name. That's a sad-looking dog. Probably knows he's promoting a detective agency headlined by Cyril, of all people.

Anybody else get Springfield Gorge flashbacks seeing Archer fall?

• Love 3
(edited)

Loved the Charlie's Angels transitions. Amazing how just a couple of notes is enough.

Credit goes to J.G. Thirwell, the composer for the Venture Bros. He's taking over the music reigns this season.

Anybody else get Springfield Gorge flashbacks seeing Archer fall?

I did.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

I totally saw Springfield Gorge too! And I love that Archer is just the person who would just walk it off.

They seem to be bringing over something that started with Archer Vice (and incidentally something I like very much) -- that the whole group, when not Isis, is a lot nicer to each other. I loved the laughing scenes. They're like the most hilarious fucked-up family.

I thought this was great. Loved Archer assuming they'd name the agency after him once he has his license and his fall was awesome.

And I also thought the woman was Katya as soon as we saw her…I hope we're all correct!

I think Archer was holding his breath in the pool.

• Love 1

I am hoping that for this season Archer and the rest do not totally become a disaster , unlike the time they were selling coke and also working with the CIA from last season. For once I would like to see them being good at something but the ending for this episode pointed out that they will probably totally screw up working in the P.I business.

Good start. I too am thinking that Katya was the first Veronica and that was before I saw Ona Grauers name in the credits.

I'm also liking Cyril in charge. He finally gets to hold something on Archer. And running the day to day might actually be something he doesn't completely suck at. It was kind of crazy how everyone was so nice to each other (Malory included). Not that it's gonna last.

I'm going to assume that the opening was a fake-out, because I really doubt they're going to kill Archer.  But I can't wait to see more of the cops voiced by Keegan -Michael Key and J.K. Simmons.  That's one random duo, but I think it could be fun.

So, it looks like this season is going to be Archer and crew doing P.I. work in LA.  I love the idea that Cyril has become the boss, since he's the only one with degrees that are needed.  Of course, it being Cyril, I'm not sure he'll really be in charge as much as he'd like, but it's still a victory!  Kind of.

I also noticed Ona Grauer's name in the credits, so I think the first "Veronica" is totally going to be Katya.

Very throwaway moment was near the end, when Lana grabbed Cheryl by the back of the neck to shut her up, and she was clearly enjoying it.  I missed my favorite loon.

• Love 1

Good episode. I like the idea of Archer getting to live out his Magnum P.I. fantasies, even if it's Cyril's name that is on the door. Not like Cyril will be anything other than an empty figure head.

The femme fatale, noir stuff is fun, and I liked the twist that they were all so into those tropes that they never even checked that their client was who she claimed to be.

Love Archer's continuing Wile E. Coyote-like ability to shrug off injury. Which is why I'm not too worried about him being shot in the pool. We've seen him get shot so many times, and he's always fine in the end.

So that was J.K. Simmons as the gruff cop, then. I thougt it weas, but wasn't sure. I recognised Keegan-Michael Key, instantly.

Love Ray just hanging around in a wheelchair, even though his bionic legs are currently working. And with the robot hand, he's just getting more ridiculous. Can't wait to see which bit of him gets the Krieger treatment next.

• Love 1

Some things noticed on rewatch:

The way those two cops were wrapped up with their talking in the first scene, I thought Archer could bobbed his head to take a breath about three times with them not noticing. As for the bloody chest, you couldn't kill this guy with a guillotine. Plus, I totally bet the thing about him being a waiter is a call back to Pam's opinion about Archer's clothing for her sister's wedding, I think it was the same.

Cyril better enjoy himself while he can and not be too big an asshole about that agency, because it's all but said outright that the entire source of cash behind the PI Business is Mallory. If and when Archer gets his own license Cyril has no pull to keep the business under his name, unless they become very very well-known before Archer can get his license.

The faux!Veronica Dean had a prominent birthmark near her mouth. I'll be watching every new female character for it, although I do believe it could still be Katya, and part of her disguise.

I immediately thought Archer in the pool was some kind of scam by the crew. 

I didn't have a problem with Archer Vice, but I think I like this PI plot better, and definitely better than the CIA. They're better when they're not under someone else's thumb, and the PI angle opens up more plotlines. Clearly, they're going for Magnum, PI, and there's nothing wrong with that, but after being 'blacklisted by the CIA' one could easily call this Archer Burn Notice. I'm not seeing a problem with that. 

Clearly, Pam has to be the driver! Come on!

(edited)

What happened at the very end? My recording stopped during the commercial break after Archer jumped away from the grenades. Thanks.

Also, it never occurred to me that Katya is the actress, but considering they have the same Voice Actor, it seems likely.

Edited by ZoqFotPik

Love Archer's continuing Wile E. Coyote-like ability to shrug off injury. Which is why I'm not too worried about him being shot in the pool. We've seen him get shot so many times, and he's always fine in the end.

Between this episode and the next one, I'm wondering if Archer's father was Wolverine or a werewolf or something. Injuries that would have turned Ray into a brain in a jar by now are basically boo boos to him.

• Love 1