Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E18: Unmanned

The religion thing annoys me even more than her booze fixation, which annoys me a lot. Why is religion so threatening to her?

I don't think religion threatens her.  I think she's reached a point where she has trouble reconciling how people she otherwise respects can believe in it.  I can relate to that, so I actually like that aspect of Alicia.  It's something we rarely see on TV.

• Love 7

I find Alicia and her relationship with religion to be confusing. She seems to be extremely baffled by people who have any religious affiliation, or even just people who believe in God, and she instantly becomes judgmental towards them. Like, asking Jason if he considered what they were doing "fornicating"? Who does that? What confuses me though, is how Alicia acts like people who believe in any form of God are aliens from another planet who she suddenly has no idea how to relate to, instead of just a person who believes in something other than what Alicia believes in. How has she not met religious people before? Alicia has met a ton of people, this cannot be that weird to her. Does she really think every religious person on the planet thinks in terms of fornication? Most religious people are just religious, and its just one aspect of their life. They can have sex and have jobs and live their lives just as much as non religious people, just they happen to think God exists. I guess to Alicia that is really weird (I do know at least a few people like that, but they do not harp on about it, or act like religious people are speaking tongues constantly), but it seems odd from this very worldly, educated woman, that there is a huge chunk of the worlds population who seems to think are completely bizarre to her, and who is apparently has trouble even communicating with. I would like to actually hear her thoughts on religion, instead of just her looks of confusion. Personally, I like the fact that Jason is Greek Orthodox. You hardly ever see that represented on TV, and its actually something about him that goes beyond smirking.   

Poor Carey. He just seems exhausted all the time, and he seems to be rapidly aging, despite him being the youngest person in the firm. Run Carey run! He would be much happier somewhere more low key, without backstabbing or possible prison sentences. 

It really sucks that those two scenes are the most we have seen from Alicia and Carey in ages. I loved their friendship, and it sucks that their relationship was thrown out for more Luca time. Its just weird to be that this whole season has Alicia spending so much time with Luca and Jason, these two random characters who have just popped up in the last season, instead of the characters she has spent ages building relationships with.

I swear I am not a prude, but Jason and Alicia are gross. They have their gross feet right next to each others faces! Super gross. They have anti chemistry. A chemistry black hole. If this show ends with Alicia sucking face with smirky as her happy ending, I will be pissed.  

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9

When Alicia said, "Peter, you're always getting indicted," I laughed out loud because I was thinking the same thing.

Marissa can handle herself in a courtroom but she obviously doesn't want to put her dad in jail. Still, I kind of wish she and Eli had called Will Schuester's bluff just to have her on camera more often because she's all kinds of awesome.

I wish Lin Manuel-Miranda had time to play a prosecutor on this show.

• Love 5

"I want a divorce.  You are always about to be indicted."  BWAH!!!  Finally, Alicia says what she should have years ago.  If Alicia agrees to stand by Peter again, I may reach through my TV and smack her.

Goodbye Cary.  You are the smart one.  No intelligent person would stay for yet another round of the musical chairs law firm.  At one time, Cary really did want to have a law firm headed by him and Alicia.

Peter, "We're still married."

Me, "Um, Peter isn't that something YOU should have remembered years ago before you trashed everything with your cheating, lies, and scandals?"

• Love 1

The big reason Cary's leaving the firm is so disappointing is because it came out of nowhere and makes no sense for any of the characters. All the other times there have been law firm musical chairs, there was a REASON for it. The merger, Stern no longer working, the debt, something. But this time, there was no reason for Diane or Cary or David Lee to shake things up. The firm was the third-most successful firm in Chicago, they'd just gotten their big client back from Alicia, Howard took emeritus, why would anyone want to shake things up? (That's assuming you even buy that a women's only firm would be something anyone would choose, which, we've established in this thread, is nonsense). 

So why David and Cary against Diane? Why not Cary and Diane against David? Wouldn't that make more sense? Especially since Diane and Cary were both allied in how to deal with Howard, were closer on the Monica thing than David was to either of them, and David had embezzled money, which could land everyone in jail (am I the only one who remembers that?). If you want to put any stock in the history, David had burned Diane before (yes, technically so had Cary but that was as an associate leaving on his own, not a name partner). Now Diane has a potential ally gone and a consistently selfish troublemaker she has to worry about. The way they've written these characters up until now, that makes no sense. (my favorite character of the three of them is David Lee. He's the most fun. I'm just saying from a character-motivation perspective, I don't see it). 

• Love 2

Who put the overdose of testosterone in Alicia's coffee? Her sex drive is akin to a 14 year old looking at Penthouse for the first time. Her rutting with sleazy Jason is just plain yuck.

This show could have been good if Alicia had dumped Peter years ago and the stories focused on interesting court stories. But the writers veered off on a course to stupidity.

• Love 1

Alicia changed her name over 20 years ago -- it's been HERS for a long time.  The Kings have always struck me as a little retrograde, however, about women's naming decisions.  Almost all the married women change their names and are called Mrs. in court, even though I think the professional standard is to use Ms.  (IMO, Mrs. is a social title, not a professional one.  It doesn't matter on the job whether a woman is married or not, just as it doesn't for men.  Hence, Mr. and Ms. -- no marital status associated with either title.)  Of course, the exception to The Mrs. Rule on this show is Diane Lockhart, whom the writers seem to view as the token "out there" feminist.

I've always thought that was weird about this show. Everyone calls Alicia "Mrs. Florrick," but if I'm going to refer to someone with their last name like that, I would say "Ms." regardless of whether they are married or not. It just seems more polite. Obviously they want to play up the wife factor on this show, but it still always seemed weird to me.

I'm wondering about that subpoena Cary received to testify against Peter.  Did Cary just let Diane and David Lee hang themselves by making Alicia a name partner again?

Peter gets indicted.  Alicia stupidly agrees to stand by Peter and hold off on the divorce.  Peter goes to prison, the Florrick name is worthless, and Alicia is a pariah again.  David Lee goes to jail for embezzlement.  Diane's law firm loses all status and all its clients.  Cary is lounging on a beach somewhere drinking Margaritas.

• Love 7

Is it possible for this to end where it started? With her on that stage again standing by him?? I'd LMAO @ being Sucker Punched.

Come join us in "The Final Scene" thread!  All the wish fulfillment you can imagine, the more outrageous the better.

• Love 3

Regarding the subpoena, am I supposed to remember Carey and Peter doing something shady back then? Am I supposed to think Carey knows something? Because I would have thought the revelation that was going to take Peter down was that Peter fixed the last election. I thought Eli was going to agree to testify to that in exchange for leaving Marissa out of it.

Run, Cary, run! I loathe everyone on this show except for him. He's been consistently screwed over, betrayed, overlooked, and generally shat on for seven years. I don't blame him one bit for being sick of Partnership Musical Chairs and unwilling to stick around for another round.

I hate this show so much. Loathe Howard Lyman maybe most of all, and the writers for subjecting viewers to him for seven seasons. And I can't just quit less than a month before the finale.

4 more episodes of this garbage and then FREEDOM.

• Love 9

I thought this was easily the best episode of the season. They are moving the plot forward, which was desperately needed. We got to see Alicia interact with Peter, Diane, and Cary. Caitlin's reappearance provided an good opportunity to reflect on Alicia's attitude toward marriage throughout the series. The CoW was interesting.

Personally, I am enjoying Alicia's character development as of late. It is becoming more and more clear that she is deeply flawed. She obviously has a problem forming emotional attachments -- her children being the primary example, but in this episode also Cary and, to a certain extent, Jason. (Her inability to relate to his belief in God is a manifestation of this problem.) But, she also seems to take pride in herself for being so aloof -- for example, in her declaration to Jason that their relationship is solely about sex, and in her matter-of-fact request for a divorce from Peter. I think she's self-aware enough to realize that she is lacking in emotional relatability, but either doesn't want to change or has decided that it is impossible to do so. I also find it fascinating that Peter is one of the few people that she seems to have a strong bond with, and that's why I think telling him she wants a divorce in this episode is a smoke screen. I will be genuinely surprised if they are not end game for the show.

I'm also not convinced that Peter is going back to prison. These writers have been known to play a long con before, such as when it seemed that Kalinda was feeding incriminating information to Wendy Scott Carr (through Dana) during Will's grand jury.

• Love 2

Regarding the subpoena, am I supposed to remember Carey and Peter doing something shady back then? Am I supposed to think Carey knows something? Because I would have thought the revelation that was going to take Peter down was that Peter fixed the last election. I thought Eli was going to agree to testify to that in exchange for leaving Marissa out of it.

Cary is testifying because he was a member of the SA's office when Peter tanked the trial at Garber's request. Unless there's some sort of twist coming up, (and there probably is) right now Peter's getting indicted for sandbagging a trial in order to let the defendant (the son of a rich donor) go free. The election shenanigans have nothing to do with it (as fat as we know). Cary testifying has nothing to do with whether or not Eli does. 

And you're not supposed to remember Cary and Peter doing something shady back then, because none of this has been shown on screen, mentioned, or even alluded to, before. Not Lloyd Garber. Not his son. Not the murder trial. Not any of Peter's donors. Nothing. 

• Love 1

Still Alicia annoyed me to no end throughout the whole episode. Her weird questions about Jason's religion (why is this presumably well educated woman so god-damn clueless about religion?), her stating that Grace's faith annoys her more than Jason's,

I found it funny that she admits that her daughter's faith is annoying her more than anybody's and I think it's pretty realistic for parents to ask themselves that: where did they went wrong with her daughter that (in her mind) a well educated young woman could believe in such a magic thing?

I don't think religion threatens her.  I think she's reached a point where she has trouble reconciling how people she otherwise respects can believe in it.  I can relate to that, so I actually like that aspect of Alicia.  It's something we rarely see on TV.

Exactly.

And I actually understood her question to Jason about fornication. "As a believer, how do you reconcile religious precepts and that state of your life?" was the underlying question.

And for the record, I'll drop my pants for Jason's smirk, especially when that smile goes in his eyes too. I found JDM even more beautiful with this glorious beard. Also, in real life he owns a candy store so in my book, he's even more perfect. I'm kind of hoping the last scene in this show is him and Alicia in the candy store, making children happy while Peter is in jail for solicitation. I'm a Lifetime movie sucker like that.

Edited by Pollock
  • Love 2

I find Alicia and her relationship with religion to be confusing. She seems to be extremely baffled by people who have any religious affiliation, or even just people who believe in God, and she instantly becomes judgmental towards them.

I have always found this to be both baffling and annoying with regards to Alicia's personality. I find it to be as abhorrent at racism and not a lot different. I have been a believer in God as well as an atheist and an agnostic over my 58 years. In fact for many years I said I was atheist or agnostic depending on how my day was going. Two of my best friends - one from high school to present and the other my best friend over a 17 year period are both very religious. In fact one considered very seriously becoming a nun. With both friends I was an atheist over much of our years of friendship but it did not stop me from being their best friend or I from being their's. We respected each other's views and it was our common morals and beliefs irregardless of religion that drew us together. So it baffles me that Alicia is so narrow minded that she cannot fathom someone having a different belief than she has. Truely mind boggling to me and says a lot about Alicia's character to me.  Or lack of same.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 4

I originally started watching this show because I loved Juliana Marguelis. She went to my alma mater for college and I loved her in ER (I was a teenager at that time) and I'm also a lawyer so I was interested to see how she would play that role. But now I kind of regret ever watching it because I pretty much hate her. I know it's just a character but seeing that character in combination with reading about her real life feuds with Archie and how she can be a mega diva, makes me glad that this show is ending and I honestly don't know if I'd ever want to watch anything starring her again. :-/

Just FYI on JM/AP, I posted this in the behind the scenes thread awhile ago.  

https://twitter.com/taraariano/status/649666447266877440

(That's assuming you even buy that a women's only firm would be something anyone would choose, which, we've established in this thread, is nonsense). 

I think you established it, but others had a different view.  :)

I have always found this to be both baffling and annoying with regards to Alicia's personality. I find it to be as abhorrent at racism and not a lot different. I have been a believer in God as well as an atheist and an agnostic over my 58 years. In fact for many years I said I was atheist or agnostic depending on how my day was going. Two of my best friends - one from high school to present and the other my best friend over a 17 year period are both very religious. In fact one considered very seriously becoming a nun. With both friends I was an atheist over much of our years of friendship but it did not stop me from being their best friend or I from being their's. We respected each other's views and it was our common morals and beliefs irregardless of religion that drew us together. So it baffles me that Alicia is so narrow minded that she cannot fathom someone having a different belief than she has. Truely mind boggling to me and says a lot about Alicia's character to me.  Or lack of same.

It's not just about having a different belief system though.  It's "believing" vs. "not believing", and non-believers do struggle with how believers can believe so whole-heartedly in something that's not tangible.  I think the show has done a pretty good job with exploring Alicia's thinking over the seasons.  It's not as if she's taken adverse action against the believers (including her daughter) but she simply can't fully understand it. And when it comes to her daughter, it especially bothers her that she can't understand it.  I don't think it makes Alicia a bad person for feeling this way.  

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 2

Considering how understanding Alicia is with all the weirdos she had to deal with over the years in her work I find her dismay at her daughter's faith rather petty. Especially given that Grace has AFAIK not embraced one of the more fire and brimstone orientated versions of Christianity. Grace has never shrieked 'adulterer' when faced with her father or called her brother 'baby-killer' - last time I checked another family member had been throwing a hissy fit about Zach's involvement in an abortion.

That said I was okay with Alicia's initial reactions to Grace finding God - bafflement followed by some attempts to understand what was going on. But that she now has moved on to annoyance makes her condescending (a trait atheists can share with the faithful and in both cases it ain't pretty).

• Love 2

I don't remember Alicia's exact words in the episode, but my take is she was admitting to being more bothered by her daughter's religion than Jason's religion. Which made sense to me.  I don't really see it as condescending. It's just how she feels. I mean, isn't it kind of condescending to look down on people's feelings?

• Love 1

The exact words were: 'I'm more judgemental about my daughter's Christianity than yours.' So at least it shows a bit of self-awareness. Though I still don't get why she has to feel judgemental in the first place. There's a hint of 'My kid should know better' - and yes, I consider that condescending because Alicia herself does not know better (nor does anyone else).

Her daughter chose a path that Alicia does not understand but has Grace done anything actually harmful to her mother or others since she took that path? The only thing I remember was when she ran off to get baptized without letting her mother know where she was going. If that's the worst your teenage daughter does to you you have no reason to complain even if she joins the cult of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Aaron Burr, sir! I love Leslie so I was so happy when his name showed up in the credits. It's a shame he played such a small role, but still one of the few things that made me smile, so yeah! This show has always been so great at casting theatre talent. I'll miss that when it's gone.

I also loved Cary leaving. Part way through I yelled at my TV that he should just ghost outta there and leave whatever mess there was to David and Diane. I'm glad he did. Dealing with Lyman and David on one side and Diane on another seems pretty exhausting to me. I hope whatever he knows from his time working with Peter destroys Peter good. I also hope Eli takes no prisoners. These are the things that still bring me joy with this show.

Alicia bugs from start to finish. Why would Jason sit around in her apartment all day? Doesn't he have work? Does he actually have a key to her place? Because I can't figure out how he got in there at the end otherwise. As for finally asking for a divorce, yes it clearly does have something to do with having a man in her life. She didn't ask 6 months ago or right after the scandal broke. When she pushed Will at the end of season one, she wanted a plan because she wouldn't just leave Peter without having that lifeboat in place. And on some level, that's fine, but don't act like that's not what's going on.

The drone case was actually very interesting. Drone law, property law and all that other stuff can be fascinating and I do think the case took the right number of twists and turns, because some weeks the show overdoes it. Its pretty scary to know that it's probably legal for a scammer to fly a computer virus drone over my house as long as its above a certain height.

• Love 1

Am I the only one that didn't think Matt (Carey) was acting when he said he was sick of it and leaving? To me, it sounded personal, like a big F you to Julianna.

Considering the awful material they gave him, the lame plots they wrote for Cary and his utlimate scam and harsh exit, it's easy to go there.Let's s put it this way: Matt Czuchry plays "fed up with that crap" really well. And who knows,  maybe it's because it's something he also experienced in real life.

Finally we are moving along here, this season was a slow burn and not in a good way.  Perhaps it will come full circle and end as it began, Peter in jail, but this time Alicia will have divorced and be named partner. glad Cary left, I envy him, I would give anything to walk out of my job right now and not look back.  

Love seeing Diane all lawyery with Eli.

Aaron Burr, sir! I love Leslie so I was so happy when his name showed up in the credits. It's a shame he played such a small role, but still one of the few things that made me smile, so yeah! This show has always been so great at casting theatre talent. I'll miss that when it's gone.

Who did he play in this episode?? I love Leslie Odom! I actually got to see Hamilton and thought he was amazing. I would love that whole cast to show up.

• Love 1

It's "believing" vs. "not believing", and non-believers do struggle with how believers can believe so whole-heartedly in something that's not tangible.

Maybe 'some' non believers do 'struggle',  certainly not all. I never did - any more than I cared about why some people believe in UFOs, psychics, ghosts, etc. It is their right to believe in whatever they want, just as it is my right to believe or not believe in whatever I want. Why is it anyone else's business as long as laws are not being broken? And in particular someone like Alicia who spends much of her life and makes much of her money defending criminals, drug dealers, etc. I care much more about someone's morals which is why I have had great friends who are both believers and non believers. One has nothing to do with the other. And just clarifying, I have nothing against lawyers - I know several and they are great people. I just think Alicia in both her personal life and professional life has never been a saint so has no business judging others.

Edited to add - it is not at all unusual for children to choose a path totally different than their parents. ie for someone who brought up their chlldren with religion to have those children reject religion as teenagers or adults. And for the opposite to happen - children like Grace who were brought up without religion to be curious and seek out her own answers as a teenager. For Alicia to be clueless to this and take it personally is just dumb. But not surprising.

Who did he play in this episode?? I love Leslie Odom! I actually got to see Hamilton and thought he was amazing. I would love that whole cast to show up.

The drone expert who explained all the crazy scary types of drones out there that could shoot you or steal your financial information. It was a very small part, but still I was happy to see him. (And super jealous of you. No way will I see Hamilton before the original cast is long gone.)

• Love 2

The show is so bad right now. I can't stand sparky smirkerson and lusty Alicia. They just have no chemistry and the love scenes are so bad, they make me cringe every time*shudder*. It amazes me that people find the scenes sexy. I used to hate Peter, but I find him so much tolerable in comparison to these two. I was re-watching the earlier seasons. This show used to be so smart. It's like a day time soap now. Diane, Cary, David Lee used to be interesting. Now they are just hanging around doing nothing. It's all about Alicia and her two new friends. I would even be okay with the show being all about Alicia, if she were still likable, but no, she is not. So why am I watching? I just skim through the scenes and usually spend about 5-10 mins per episode watching. Then I read the reviews and tweets and I am usually shocked when I see the positive reviews and comments. People like this shit?

I want to see how it ends. I used to love this show so much. I can't believe it's going out in this way. I really hope the writers have some big twist up their sleeve, coz if this gonna end the way it looks like it's gonna end, I am gonna be pissed with myself for wasting my time. Again, I can't believe the unanimous support the Jason-Alicia pairing is getting. Why?? That pairing has no substance. I don't even find JDM sexy. Something must be wrong with me.

• Love 5

The drone expert who explained all the crazy scary types of drones out there that could shoot you or steal your financial information. It was a very small part, but still I was happy to see him. (And super jealous of you. No way will I see Hamilton before the original cast is long gone.)

I always miss these things!! And yes - I'm super fortunate. I bought tickets the day they went on sale for a NYC trip happening three months later. 

Maybe 'some' non believers do 'struggle', certainly not all. I never did - any more than I cared about why some people believe in UFOs, psychics, ghosts, etc. It is their right to believe in whatever they want, just as it is my right to believe or not believe in whatever I want. Why is it anyone else's business as long as laws are not being broken? And in particular someone like Alicia who spends much of her life and makes much of her money defending criminals, drug dealers, etc. I care much more about someone's morals which is why I have had great friends who are both believers and non believers. One has nothing to do with the other.

I'm a non-believer, and I struggle to understand how other people believe. I don't think I'm judging them, and I'm not convinced Alicia is either. But it does feel like a disconnect, like they're telling me that 2+2=5 but it isn't adding up in my head. It makes me curious about how their mind works, and leads me to ask all sorts of questions about their beliefs and experiences in order to try to understand it. I also happen to be a lawyer, and I think that sort of intellectual (not emotional) curiosity is very common for lawyers to have. In that sense, I think the Kings have really nailed Alicia's personality.

Edited by FlyingDuchess
  • Love 1
But now I kind of regret ever watching it because I pretty much hate her. I know it's just a character but seeing that character in combination with reading about her real life feuds with Archie and how she can be a mega diva, makes me glad that this show is ending and I honestly don't know if I'd ever want to watch anything starring her again. :-/

Amen to that.

When did she become so awful? When they made her a producer? Who knows and now? Who cares.

I'm a non-believer, and I struggle to understand how other people believe. I don't think I'm judging them, and I'm not convinced Alicia is either. But it does feel like a disconnect, like they're telling me that 2+2=5 but it isn't adding up in my head. It makes me curious about how their mind works, and leads me to ask all sorts of questions about their beliefs and experiences in order to try to understand it. I also happen to be a lawyer, and I think that sort of intellectual (not emotional) curiosity is very common for lawyers to have. In that sense, I think the Kings have really nailed Alicia's personality.

I'm the same. It's not that I don't respect other people's beliefs, and it's not that I don't appreciate they seem to need faith in their life. But do I understand it? No. Religion, in particular, is so arbitrary and so dogmatic and so illogical that I don't understand it. It's like when an earthquake or natural disaster hits and people are all like #prayformexico. And I'm sitting there going, "But according to your philosophy, God did this. So how is this not just begging a mass murderer to stop the murder before he gets to you?" But if you actually ask that question, you look like an asshole. But you're not - you just genuinely want to know how people can hold these conflicting thoughts in their head.

• Love 5

I don't think intellectual curiosity is limited to lawyers, and I have two lawyer friends who are religious. I disagree regarding Alicia in that I think Alicia's portrayal as a disbeliever borders on being disdainful.

Also there are different degrees of believing in God. Some just believe in a higher power that made man and all living creatures. Others think God answers their prayers and has a plan for each and every person. And as someone above also posted it makes no sense to me when, say, there is a mass murder and survivors think that they were saved by God. I wonder why they think God didn't save the others? Or why God let the mass murder happen in the first place? And why many people in third world countries are very religious when many live in hell holes with no food and areas that rampant with disease? Why do they think they deserve that kind of life?

My friend once asked me why I don't believe in God. Just as some non believers wonder why believers do believe, some believers wonder why non believers don't. I told her truthfully that since I didn't believe it wasn't something I spent a lot of time thinking about because it wasn't important to me. Just like if someone doesn't believe in UFOs they don't spend hours analyzing why they don't because it isn't important to them.

But in Alicia's case especially where Grace in concerned it seems to really bother her, like she has made some big mistake raising her. Reminds me of when my step daughter came out as gay - her mother thought it was something she had done. Sheesh. If that is the worst thing Grace every does is to embrace religion I think Alicia is lucky, considering what a lousy mother I think she is much of the time.

But in Alicia's case especially where Grace in concerned it seems to really bother her, like she has made some big mistake raising her. Reminds me of when my step daughter came out as gay - her mother thought it was something she had done. Sheesh. If that is the worst thing Grace every does is to embrace religion I think Alicia is lucky, considering what a lousy mother I think she is much of the time.

They have a similar storyline on The Americans, where the mother is horrified at the idea that she raised a child who is so into Christianity. But on that show the mother's a spy for the Soviet Union so it kind of makes sense for her to be freaked out about it.

I do think Alicia comes off as a little disdainful at times. It's like she assumes anyone who believes in God is a religious extremist, which is obviously not the case. I remember an episode where she was asking Grace about the bible for a case, and was all shocked when Grace said she didn't think every story in the bible was literally true, it was just about the message.

• Love 1

So they can air the final episodes during sweeps. 

They have a similar storyline on The Americans, where the mother is horrified at the idea that she raised a child who is so into Christianity. But on that show the mother's a spy for the Soviet Union so it kind of makes sense for her to be freaked out about it.

I do think Alicia comes off as a little disdainful at times. It's like she assumes anyone who believes in God is a religious extremist, which is obviously not the case. I remember an episode where she was asking Grace about the bible for a case, and was all shocked when Grace said she didn't think every story in the bible was literally true, it was just about the message.

I think people are reading too much into Alicia's atheism. It's a problem nearly all shows (except the VERY well-written ones) have as they pass season 5 or so - characters become flatter and broader, everything we've learned about them exaggerated until it's their only personality trait. In the beginning, Alicia wasn't some militant atheist, she was like most upper-class, educated, white collar WASPy families: not particularly religious, doesn't know any very religious people. So when her daughter embraces a belief system different from that experience, she's wary, and a bit concerned, and confused why her daughter would like something no one in their community has any interest in. She was concerned, for example, that Grace bring Christian would lead her to reject Owen, because the only Christians Alicia knows about are the ones she sees on TV (ie/ Republican politicians and pundits). 

But that kind of subtle characterisation, six years later, is now a militant atheist who likes Dawkins. Just like how Diane went from being a normal person to someone who would actually dump her co-name partners just because they're men. 

• Love 1

I got the same vibe from both Cary and Alicia in different ways.  Cary is plain fed-up and moving on.  Alicia is just going through the motions.  Both at the firm and with Peter.  I also think Alicia is using Jason as a surrogate for Will.

• Love 1
wow, so AGAIN one episode airs,followed by weeks of no shows?? what are they doing? ergh get it over with already. Why do they keep doing this?

The Country Music Awards show airs on Sunday night so in defense of the show (heh, which is a rare thing), it wasn't The Good Wife's choice not to air on Sunday. You can blame that on the network!

• Love 1

How old is Alicia? She's acting like a female who just had "good sex" for the first time and can't get enough of it.

May 8th can't come soon enough for me.

I'd bet sex w Peter wasn't that great & maybe it is w Smirky?

I think people are reading too much into Alicia's atheism. It's a problem nearly all shows (except the VERY well-written ones) have as they pass season 5 or so - characters become flatter and broader, everything we've learned about them exaggerated until it's their only personality trait. In the beginning, Alicia wasn't some militant atheist, she was like most upper-class, educated, white collar WASPy families: not particularly religious, doesn't know any very religious people. So when her daughter embraces a belief system different from that experience, she's wary, and a bit concerned, and confused why her daughter would like something no one in their community has any interest in. She was concerned, for example, that Grace bring Christian would lead her to reject Owen, because the only Christians Alicia knows about are the ones she sees on TV (ie/ Republican politicians and pundits).

But that kind of subtle characterisation, six years later, is now a militant atheist who likes Dawkins. Just like how Diane went from being a normal person to someone who would actually dump her co-name partners just because they're men.

Is that really Alicia's background though? I don't think the show has given much detail on her upbringing (correct me if I'm wrong) but I kind of thought she grew up in a slightly unusual family with a crazy mother. I can't even remember any details about her father though the show probably did address that. Anyway, in real life, I know plenty of well-educated WASPY types that were religious and regularly went to church.

Regarding Diane, the show made it clear that she was pursuing a women-led firm because she thought Cary and David Lee were pushing her out. They actually had the character say that outright in case it wasn't clear before. It's not just because they're men.

The Country Music Awards show airs on Sunday night so in defense of the show (heh, which is a rare thing), it wasn't The Good Wife's choice not to air on Sunday. You can blame that on the network!

It actually isn't ever TGW's choice. The show doesn't control the scheduling. The network does.

I agree most shows have the characters become exaggerated in later seasons. But that doesn't mean it's not annoying.

I don't have kids, but I'm sure if I did, I would also be surprised and a little weirded out if my child became a follower of a religion I didn't follow. I never really had an issue with Alicia thinking that. It's just the reaction to other people that seems off.  I think you'd expect other people to have an assortment of religious beliefs.

The reason David Lee, Diane, and Cary went down the rabbit hole again is because they've double crossed each other in the past, and they don't trust each other.  Diane wasn't plotting anything.  David Lee assumed she was, convinced Cary of that fact, and they decided to make Diane believe they might be up to something themselves.  Which was a stupid thing to do because that lead to Diane deciding maybe she would do something in case David Lee and Cary made a move against her.  Cary has realized this is the way it will always be.  I think Cary was assessing his options after he received that subpoena.  He agreed with Diane about moving Howard.  He talked to Alicia, and Alicia pointed out that she has no real power at the firm.  He voted no to making Alicia a name partner to see what Diane would do.  David Lee and Howard then made a deal with Diane to go along with making Alicia a name partner for getting a bigger percentage of the firm.  Cary is cutting all ties with these people, and he was right, there is a better way to be a successful attorney.  I also don't think he wants to be around any of them when he testifies about Peter.

It's interesting that Ruth warned Alicia to get away from Peter, and Cary told Alicia about the subpoena and said it was going to be very bad.  Now Eli is cutting a deal.  I wonder if there is something worse (worse than letting a defendant off for a bribe or fixing an election) that Peter did that Eli and Alicia really have absolutely no clue about.

• Love 2