Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E18: Unmanned

Alicia and Diane defend the privacy rights of a therapist whose neighbor, represented by attorney Caitlyn D'Arcy, flies a drone over his home office. Also, Assistant U.S. Attorney Connor Fox attempts to use Eli's daughter, Marissa, as leverage in the case against Peter, and the power struggle at Lockhart, Agos & Lee reaches a boiling point.

Promo:

I'll be good with about any story line for this episode as long as we don't have to watch anymore love scenes with Alicia and Jason.

As far as the demise of the Lockhart, Agos & Lee law firm I'm at that point I don't care.

Edited by CaptainCranky
  • Love 12

It's about bloody time that Alicia and Peter ended that sham of a marriage. Too bad Peter didn't tell her to 'stop screwing the help', but you can't have everything. I cheered when she asked for a divorce. It's about 6 years too late, but nice to see it finally happen.

Alicia showed up late to court twice because she couldn't get out of bed, or had to go fight with hubby. Way to go Diane, that's totally name partner material right there.

Since the NSA is still tapping her phone, I'm feeling cheated of the geeks reactions to her pillow talk with Smirky McSlimerson, PI.

Cary just looked so defeated. Glad he's escaping LAL. I think the only person making money at that firm is their sign hanger.

Nice to see Grace has joined the ranks of "child character sent offstage for days".

• Love 19

They've shown Cary is being pretty uncomfortable as a name partner since the current firm took shape. And most of his time as a name partner at Florrick/Agos/Lockhart was spent in jail with the prospect of a long jail sentence hanging over him. So yeah, it's not something he enjoys or is passionate about. That's a totally reasonable resolution for his character. I hope he takes some very good money for his share of the current firm and figures out what he wants to do. After he testifies against Peter Florrick.

I also totally agree that "divorce" conversation came several years too late. But I think Peter is making a reasonable request of Alicia. Wait until after the next scandal breaks (one of Alicia's best lines ever: "You're ALWAYS under indictment, Peter.") at least because it will be less for the kids to deal with (he should've taken that route with his request. Otherwise, I thought it was a reasonable exit strategy, well-presented). Grace doesn't need her Dad going to jail, her freshman year of college AND her parents splitting up all happening.

And I believed that Eli was willing to take the fall rather than having his daughter put through the scandal machine. But Eli being Eli, I expect some kind of weird machination that will get him off relatively unscathed, no matter what happens to Peter. (Also: when did Marissa work for Garber? Or did I misunderstand that part?)

Also interesting to note that Howard Lyman outlasted The Gerbil. What David Lee's got in his pocket should be horrifying. I just hope it doesn't involve bringing Louis Canning back.

• Love 3

Provocative pause before cut to black, 3 weeks 'til the next episode -- they're trying way too hard to create drama. At least we have a few weeks to rest up before the final 4 episodes.

Can't wait... Really, can't wait until this show is over.

• Love 11

Hasn't it occurred to Alicia that if she's not the Governor's wife she's not a "name" anymore?

I hope that when she returns to the grand jury she walks right up to the line of perjury and then stumbles a bit. Then, when Peter gets a chance to make a deal and get her off the hook, he can decide that being The Good Spouse is for suckers. 

• Love 2

Honestly, I REALLY liked Peter coming home and confronting Jason.  It was exciting and drove the plot forward!  The battle of the guys with silver streaks in their hair.

I really liked another plot point too, but I already forgot what it was.  Maybe Alicia wanting to divorce IDK.  The only other thing I remember liking is Alicia's blue trenchcoat in that scene.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Good for Alicia deciding being married to Peter is not worth it, but I agree it should have happened years ago.  I would prefer her to be single for a while rather than having to have another man, but "can't be single" is one of many reasons I have never liked her.

What are the odds she will keep the Florrick name, at least for professional reasons?  Can Peter insist that she change it, as part of the divorce settlement?

• Love 1

What are the odds she will keep the Florrick name, at least for professional reasons? Can Peter insist that she change it, as part of the divorce settlement?

What? I don't know why she'd want to keep it, but that decision should be hers alone.

Honestly, I REALLY liked Peter coming home and confronting Jason.  It was exciting and drove the plot forward!  The battle of the guys with silver streaks in their hair.

I really liked another plot point too, but I already forgot what it was.  Maybe Alicia wanting to divorce IDK.  The only other thing I remember liking is Alicia's blue trenchcoat in that scene.

with silver streaks in their hair and low, growling voices :)

• Love 6

Alicia finally asked for a divorce, and Peter was as jerky as possible about it. (Of course). The whole series (until season 6 or so) he acted like he loved her, but now he doesn't even pretend he cares about Jason in any more than a territorial way. And bringing up Grace? Like he has the right to talk, given his sex scandals were far more public than Alicia's were. And Alicia has been the primary custody parent the whole show. But yeah, Peter has to be the villain so Alicia can be righteous. Interesting how no one brought up Ramona. Or Will. 

And Diane kept insisting Alicia has a valuable name. I suppose so, even if she's the ex-wife, of a scandal-plagued governor, who bombed when trying to run for President. How valuable is that? It would hurt them with Republicans (like Dippold) and does it really give her access in bringing in clients? The whole thing makes my head hurt. Girst, Diane wanted Alicia for Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves LLC. Now it's about how Alicia is an asset because of her name, even though the whole reason Alicia isn't a name partner when they had that argument is because their biggest client threatened to drop them over it. And David's embezzling? That's just dropped? Diane didn't have to bribe David; she could have threatened him. And why is Howard back?

As for Carey, he always had the most fun (other than David) with the firm musical chairs. It was his idea to splinter with Alicia. Now he's over it? Of course - can't have anyone see Alicia as the bad guy or be hurt by her actions. Then she wouldn't be likeable to the audience. 

Edited by Tetraneutron
  • Love 1

The reason they got rid of Alicia originally was because of her scandal-plagued name. I guess Oliver Platt's busy on Chicago Med so all the writers forgot about that.

Didn't Cary just bring Diane and Lucca under the LAL wing a couple weeks ago because they were being sued (and Diane didn't want them).?

I hope Cary wins; whatever that is. Maybe he'll end up on a beach with Kalinda. I don't like anyone else including Alicia.

I don't see how they can possibly write this conclusion. in any way I find satisfying. I will totally barf if Peter goes to jail and Jason/Alicia are heavy breathing happily ever after.

Edited by Kathyk1024
  • Love 4

"Oh, you're in love. Again."

Die, Peter, die.

But seriously: while I can't stand any more scenes of Alicia and Jason in bed (and feel miffed that I never got the corresponding scenes for her and Will), Jason was pretty great in this episode. He knows they're not serious so he's just "talk to Alicia, got nothing to do with me".

About time they got a divorce. Waiting to hear those words for years.

• Love 2

I think the only person making money at that firm is their sign hanger.

Whoever is doing their business cards and stationary has also moved into a much higher tax bracket, lol.  Best line of the entire series (so far): "Peter, you're ALWAYS being indicted."  That's good stuff right there.

• Love 10

Hasn't it occurred to Alicia that if she's not the Governor's wife she's not a "name" anymore?

I wouldn't say that. Elizabeth Edwards is a name (or would be if she were still alive). Tipper Gore is a name. Not that it matters. 

And I believed that Eli was willing to take the fall rather than having his daughter put through the scandal machine. But Eli being Eli, I expect some kind of weird machination that will get him off relatively unscathed, no matter what happens to Peter. (Also: when did Marissa work for Garber? Or did I misunderstand that part?)

Here's what happened (assuming there are no more twists): Lloyd Garber is a rich man who gave money to Peter's campaign, in exchange for Peter agreeing to tank a trial against Garber's illegitimate son. Garber also owns a dairy farm in Israel, where Marissa worked when she was living in Israel. Why that fact would help the AUSA get Peter is beyond me. It's not like she'd know anything. 

I also believe Eli would fall on his sword to save Marissa. Especially since he's been disconnected from Peter all season. I STILL don't see why Ruth had to testify. And if the AUSA is tapping the governer's ex-chief of staff's (by the time the Shakowski plot happened, Peter had already dumped Eli) daughter, he's tapping EVERYONE'S phone. Which, fine. It's a pretty recurring theme on this show that the government is Big Brother only more pervasive. So the NSA guys are listening to the AUSA listening to our cast. And he was hoping for an unlikely chance that Marissa would say something incriminating on her phone, that the AUSA could use as leverage against Eli? What are the odds that would happen? 

Edited by Tetraneutron
  • Love 1

FINALLY Alicia wants a divorce - hallelujah! Like the rest of you said, it's about six years too late but better late than never.

Alicia has done plenty of things that I disagreed with (including staying married to Peter) but I could not believe that Peter had the right to be upset with Alicia sleeping with Jason. Sorry, dude, when you get caught in a very publicized scandal involving hookers, you don't get to judge. Besides, the last time that Alicia and Peter had one of their state of the union talks, she specifically said that they would stay legally married and she would play the role of supportive wife for the sake of his career but that they were BOTH allowed to sleep with whoever as long as it was discreet. And it's not like Peter hasn't taken advantage of that so he can STFU.

I'm glad that Alicia got some good zingers in during that conversation either. When he asked if this was because of Jason and then she tilted her head and said that of course she would never want a divorce unless she had another man was hilarious. I also loved when she pointed out that he's always getting indicted. When Peter asked about Grace, I just rolled my eyes. Were you considering your daughter's feelings when you were screwing hookers? Did you think about how that would affect her or what the kids at school would say to her? No? Then once again, STFU, Peter. Lastly, when he got all snippy and said he was mad that she was shoving it in his face, I couldn't believe his nerve. So showing up at Alicia's house unannounced and finding her friend with benefits is shoving it in your face? Yes, she totally planned that! Gawd.

I wish we could have seen Eli's reaction to the divorce news.

Jason is on my shit list this week. He should have called or texted to warn her that Peter waltzed in and found him there. It was really crappy of him to wait until she found him at work the next day to tell her what happened.

I love how unflappable Marissa is. First she recorded that guy as soon as she suspected he was up to something, and this time she called mall security to complain about the AUSA. HA!

Oh, Cary. I feel bad that he feels so beat down by the firm politics so I'm glad that he decided to just pack it in and get the hell out.

• Love 5

What David Lee's got in his pocket should be horrifying.

David Lee has always been a cartoon character to me.  Among all the craziness of how law firms DON'T work depicted on this show, the idea that this family law weasel would be co-named with Diane Lockhart is one of the most laughable for me.  And the idea that he could pull of that embezzlement the show seems to have forgotten about, without anyone knowing, is eye-rolling.

What are the odds she will keep the Florrick name, at least for professional reasons?  Can Peter insist that she change it, as part of the divorce settlement?

Alicia changed her name over 20 years ago -- it's been HERS for a long time.  The Kings have always struck me as a little retrograde, however, about women's naming decisions.  Almost all the married women change their names and are called Mrs. in court, even though I think the professional standard is to use Ms.  (IMO, Mrs. is a social title, not a professional one.  It doesn't matter on the job whether a woman is married or not, just as it doesn't for men.  Hence, Mr. and Ms. -- no marital status associated with either title.)  Of course, the exception to The Mrs. Rule on this show is Diane Lockhart, whom the writers seem to view as the token "out there" feminist.

Jason was pretty great in this episode.

I could have done without seeing his gnarly toes up against Alicia's head.

Edited by Inquisitionist
  • Love 6

Ugh show, I get it, Stella got her tired, bony groove back... and it's the least sexy thing I've ever seen. Thanks for ruining the law and sex.

I adored Peter slapping that mug out of Jason's stupid hand. We finally have a candidate able to wipe the smirk off of his face. I'd probably have been equally satisfied if Grace had come in and done the same thing, but since Alicia has raised her to be an invisible, submissive female, I doubt she'd have the inclination.

I also cheered when Cary said "No" to offering Alicia the promotion. I fear my estimate of Alicia's character went subterranean when she found her way into Cary's office to ask him to help out Lucca. Had she not been lying to him, gaslighting him and conspiring against his job securtiy on a daily basis it might have been understandable, but the complete lack of awareness and shame on her part was just deplorable.

I'm not sure if we're supposed to see Cary as a smart guy who decided he wanted to practice law instead of reliving the first day of high school over and over again on an infinite loop, or if he's to be viewed as someone without the chops to keep up with his peers. There was (and has been) something defeatist written into his character this season, so I'm not convinced that we were supposed to be happy and proud to see someone walk out of that dummy factory. But, regardless of what the writers had in mind, I was happy for him in the moment, and then frustrated to see that another competing top character has essentially been given their walking papers so that we can be reminded for the 8000th time that the world revolves around Alicia, and even more screen time can be given to ridiculous pauses and the entering and exiting of her apartment. Does that part of the set have a SAG card yet? If not, that's just criminal! Cary deserved/es something more, but I don't trust this ship of fools to deliver anything. Too bad the show has "burned one down" with Archie and so many characters & story lines, because Cary flying off to join her in a different life would have put this final season on the map for the right reasons.

Provocative pause before cut to black, 3 weeks 'til the next episode -- they're trying way too hard to create drama.

Are they now sponsored by NyQuil or some drug that makes forgetting and/or slipping into unconsciousness a desired outcome? it's difficult enough to remain interested, and then they throw amnesia water on the fire they smothered 2 seasons ago; what gives? And I didn't appreciate the lazy and rushed conference room retcon scene where all of the characters were given a chance to explain their rapid-cycling opinions on Alicia's place at the firm (a.k.a. the sheer writing foolery we've been subjected to), almost as though someone over at TGW has been reading the boards...

Side note: I got quite a surprise tonight in a conversation with someone about Elementary and that it now follows TGW, and heard, "I haven't watched that show since the whiny actress got the really talented one kicked off." The lack of names provided told me that the decline in this show has reached people who had no investment in anyone's perceived drama or personal life, just that the change was for the worse and they were done. Quite a legacy, CBS.

Edited by meisje
  • Love 16

I'm not sure if we're supposed to see Cary as a smart guy who decided he wanted to practice law instead of reliving the first day of high school over and over again on an infinite loop, or if he's to be viewed as someone without the chops to keep up with his peers. There was (and has been) something defeatist written into his character this season, so I'm not convinced that we were supposed to be happy and proud to see someone walk out of that dummy factory. But, regardless of what the writers had in mind, I was happy for him in the moment, and then frustrated to see that another competing top character has essentially been given their walking papers so that we can be reminded for the 8000th time that the world revolves around Alicia, and even more screen time can be given to ridiculous pauses and the entering and exiting of her apartment. Does that part of the set have a SAG card yet? If not, that's just criminal! Cary deserved/es something more, but I don't trust this ship of fools to deliver anything. Too bad the show has "burned one down" with Archie and so many characters & story lines, because Cary flying off to join her in a different life would have put this final season on the map for the right reasons.

Thinking about it I think "He's not Will Gardner" in my book is a compliment (or that's how I want to interpret because honestly they've completely sucked with Cary's character). I know Diane was saying this trying to dissmis him as partner and as lawyer but I don't think there's just one right way to be a good lawyer and Cary is just not the Will Gardner type. He's not a fully commited shark. Will basically had fun with all those schemings and mutual backstabbings, was on his element even with people like David Lee and Howard Lyman. Cary is looking for something else and for someone else. He needs people who he can trust and trust him (that's why I think he kept asking Alicia to come back because he missed their partneship which somewhat became also a friendship and that's why he decided to quit because even Alicia became someone he couldn't trust anymore). He needs a firm which is more like a family than like a ring where the more macchiavellian one wins. So maybe a little firm (like the one he wanted to create with Alicia) but more friendly. So I get why he had enough of those  people (because he'll never be one of them) and I've enough of them me too. Too bad they didn't explore that thing in the right way but just like another rushed "Screw Cary over".

Edited by Klapaucius
  • Love 10

I hear Cary is moving to Stars Hollow to marry Rory.  Glad at least one character is getting out of this mess relatively unscathed.

This better not be a real spoiler.  Don't even confirm either way 

I'm glad that Alicia got some good zingers in during that conversation either. When he asked if this was because of Jason and then she tilted her head and said that of course she would never want a divorce unless she had another man was hilarious.

How can he not ask this when she stuck around for 7 years acting totally whatever about everything until Peter confronted Jason in the living room... it's a pretty good question

Jason is on my shit list this week. He should have called or texted to warn her that Peter waltzed in and found him there. It was really crappy of him to wait until she found him at work the next day to tell her what happened.

It was Alicia who set the scene for that to happen, inadvertently.  She told him to stick around, which is weird because he's an adult who probably has a lot of things to do, like his freelance work, not a college student.  So he did and then Peter shows up to basically threaten him.  The situation was far more negative for Jason than it was for Alicia who didn't even have to be there to experience it.  The most shocking thing for me is that Jason didn't pull a Kalinda and bust out of that town.  The fact that he actually told her what happened is also surprising.  What does he owe her?  Weird to see a TV character be so upfront and honest about a very awkward and annoying situation.  Not everyone likes playing illegitimate sidepiece.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I had no problems with Peter's jerk reaction towards Jason - everything else would have been completely out of character. Still Alicia annoyed me to no end throughout the whole episode. Her weird questions about Jason's religion (why is this presumably well educated woman so god-damn clueless about religion?), her stating that Grace's faith annoys her more than Jason's, her insistence that she's friends with Carey after having lied to his face (is she a secret psychopath?), her insistence that she just wants sex from Jason then reacting like a giggly teenager in lurv when she finds him in her bedroom and her staring at yet another glass of booze.

I'm just glad Carey decided to leave - I wish there was more to that story but since it's the Alicia show I don't think so. And at this point I don't even know who Diane is anymore - her motives and actions throughout this season are so out of character that I start to believe in body-snatchers.

• Love 14

I have so many questions.  I know we were asked to hand-wave away Lucca "getting chips" last week as a simple plot device to get Alicia and Jason alone at the table, but let's seriously examine the opening:

Alicia receives a call from Diane and then shows up in court late.  Was Diane calling her because she was wondering where she was?  Super professional.

Alicia tells Jason not to leave her apartment, so she can imagine him eating bon bons and watching daytime TV.  Ok, but it's a weekday right?  Because Alicia's late for court?  Jason has a job, too.  And even if he didn't, why should that be his day?

But Jason stays, like a good little dog.  Enter Peter Florrick, the Governor of Illinois.  Apparently he has a key to his estranged wife's apartment.  And also, no Governor-ing to do in the middle of a weekday.  Something so important has come up that he can't call or text to find out where she is, he must simply show up at her apartment, unnanounced, in the middle of a weekday.  When Alicia is in court, or late to court, or whatever.  Because she's a lawyer.

Surely there could have been a less ridiculous contrivance in order to get Peter to confront Jason.  Not that I didn't enjoy him slapping that mug out of his hand.  Peter's always been a magnificent bastard.

Alicia acts pretty desperate to keep Jason on a short string despite her protestations that this is all "just physical".  She acted offended when Peter said she wanted a divorce because she'd found another man, but isn't that what just happened?  And I thought she was going to cry when she found her apartment empty. And again at the end when she didn't see him right away.  Me, I was hoping it would be empty again.  

Loved Cary quitting and Alicia's smirk getting erased when he told her he had voted against her being made named partner. 

ETA: Oh yeah, the religion thing.  

"Do you believe in God?"

"Yes."

"So you think we're fornicating."

Holy non-sequiturs, Batman.  What grown-ass woman thinks or talks like this?  

Edited by dahling
  • Love 18

Run, Cary, RUN!  Get the hell out of Alicia's ( and Diane's) vortex of suck.

I hope Peter ends up in jail.  He's slimy and has been since the beginning.

I don't think Alicia is any better.  I hope she & Diane start their precious female firm and get taken over & kicked out by Lucca & annoying blonde single mom lawyer (or any of the additional females they hire).  Their track record only shows there is no expectation of loyalty or respect.  Dog eat dog, survival of the fittest, etc are their mantras, so as an employee of Lockhart Florick, go for the jugular as soon as you get the opportunity.  Ask David Lee for some tips on pulling the rug out from under Alicia & Diane's overpriced high heels.

• Love 8

just a quick note to add that it was nice to have Scott Cohen guest star - I've loved him since he played Wolf in The 10th Kingdom!

Also: it's ridiculous at this point that Alicia is more concerned about Lucca's well-being than Cary's, is it not? 

Edited by NutMeg
  • Love 8

How old is Alicia? She's acting like a female who just had "good sex" for the first time and can't get enough of it.

May 8th can't come soon enough for me.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 9

Also: it's ridiculous at this point that Alicia is more concerned about Lucca's well-being than Cary's, is it not? 

Well it's all about girl-power this season! Or as Howard put it: the estrogen-brigade.

On a more serious note: Both Diane and Alicia have always struck me as women who work better with men than with women (this does not mean they're not feminists in my book). So Diane's weird obsession with a female name partners only firm makes zero sense.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 7

I suppose the inevitable conclusion to this series has always been that Alicia leaves Peter, but now that it's finally here, I don't really care. After all of the weird contortions the show has gone through over the years to keep those two married, it's hard to believe that Alicia has reached her breaking point because of Jason, and because a random lady she used to work with is getting divorced.

As for the cliffhanger, I know I should want Alicia to say no to Peter's request, to show that she's fully committed to them splitting up. But this hasn't been a completely one-sided deal the whole time - she has benefited quite a bit from staying in this relationship (or so the show would have us believe), so I don't feel that Peter's request is all that unreasonable.

I also feel like the flip to "well, this thing Peter did is really unforgivable," is pretty sudden. Again, they have to wrap up the show somehow, and taking Peter down once and for all feels inevitable. But, again, we've spent 6 years watching characters we like work very hard to ensure Peter's continued well-being. That everyone would abandon him - especially over something we know nothing at all about - it's hard to buy into. It's also hard to believe it would be permanent; if this show has proven anything it's that Peter, even more than Alicia, is a survivor.

Edited by swimmyfish
  • Love 6

"Diane and Alicia have always struck me as women who work better with men than with women"

Mmm, I dunno about "work better with" it feels to me more like "Partner Well" because they're both kinda tough and call people on their BS that men tend to appreciate better than women, in general.

I thought this was a pretty bad episode.  There was plot progression for sure but done in an inorganic way.   Seemed out of character for Peter to act the way he did. Sure, he would be jealous and hypocritical, but he was really over-the-top in his interaction with Jason. And this is what pushes Alicia to ask for a divorce?  Come on. Alicia knows that the marriage has been good to her professionally.  It's not like the character has been written as this absolutely fantastic lawyer. She's pretty good but the Peter connection is what enabled her to move up the ladder and attract high-profile clients.   

I think the show is really rushing things to get to its end game.  The law firm musical chairs thing continues to be ridiculous.  What is David Lee thinking now?  Do I care?  As I watch, I feel like all the characters (Diane, Alicia, Cary, David Lee, Howard Lyman, maybe even throw in Lucca) have all blended into this one character. They're all saying the same thing and all think the other side is trying to take them out.  Actually I guess Cary is supposed to be the one who's tired of all this but his final scene walking out lacked...impact.  Like Cary's lines and actions seemed so lame to me even though I think I'm supposed to be rooting for him?  

And I don't know where they're going with this Alicia/Jason thing.  I mean, I get it.  Alicia is supposed to be this truly strong independent woman where she's calling the shots and in full control of her life.  But the way the writers are going about it is to surround her with weak characters. That's not very convincing.  I like Alicia more where she's interacting with strong personalities like Diane and Will and Peter or various guest stars like Louis Canning and a bunch of others.  Not when she's surrounded by weaklings like Jason and Lucca who don't have a purpose or specific identities.  Alicia just tramples them. This is not fun or compelling.  It's the battle of wits that makes me root for Alicia, not the stuff in this episode.  

What a crap episode.  

• Love 5

This episode was a bit better than last week but that's not saying much. Am sick of seeing Jason and Alicia pawing each other but at least they weren't doing it in a public place. I really hoped that Peter would have decked Jason but I honestly don't like either one at this point so who cares? They are both a lousy match for Alicia, in their own ways. Yep, call me an incurable romantic but man! I would have loved for her to ride off into the sunset with Will.

Now maybe I was sleeping but what happened with Jackie and Howard? Did they ever get married...break up? She is never mentioned anymore.

I can't believe that a show I used to love and look forward to has become so disappointing. Did they decide ages ago to throw in the towel and therefore just can't be bothered anymore? That's what it feels like. 

As we sputter towards the grand finale, I do wonder how they will end it. Maybe they will do the old fade to black, sending us scurrying to our phones to call our cable companies and leaving us to wonder what the hell happened and make our own endings because I have a horrible feeling that theirs will be a huge let down.

<Sigh> If only every show could end like Downton Abbey.

• Love 5

Ugh show, I get it, Stella got her tired, bony groove back... and it's the least sexy thing I've ever seen. Thanks for ruining the law and sex.

Yeah, man. And sure, Peter doesn't have the "right" to be pissy about finding Jason, except I totally bought that moment, because Peter was completely blindsided. Aside from the fact that their pact to go their separate ways romantically has always been idiotic given their public profile, I think most men would be unpleasantly surprised to see some dude in his boxers lounging around the house. Also it was a good scene, Noth and JDM played well off each other. It actually felt like something was at stake, unlike during all of the sex scenes --including the bar handjob (shudder).

And of a piece of this show going downhill, the moment when Alicia says "I want a divorce"  should have been this awesome, fist-pumping moment, but of course it's not. Because even though she deflected doing it because of Jason, that was completely the catalyst. For all her talk about "don't worry boo, it's just sex" I've long suspected that Alicia has been secretly writing "Mrs. Alicia McSmirkerson" in her Trapper Keeper.

So this is the final season: they bust out a sexy bedhead wig, show Alicia being a sucky friend to Cary, and also show her overcompensating with Lucca as a Kalinda replacement. Woo-hoo, what a way to end the series!

• LOL 1
  • Love 17

I burst out laughing at the confrontation between Peter and Jason. It was so awkward and random. For a long moment, I thought they both might crack some jokes and talk about football scores. That Peter went with outrage was the last thing I expected. That *might* have made some sense 4 years ago, but now? It was so stupid. Along with all the other nonsense we're supposed to buy. I am seriously relieved for the actor playing Cary. It must be so depressing going to work every day and having to pretend any of this makes any sense at all. Same for Diane. What a mess. 

• Love 5

I am hoping she tells Peter "no" but I am wondering if the plan is to end the show as they started it - with a visual of her standing by her man though this time, a bit differently?  I hope not but she may do it for the sake of the kids but I can't see any reason she should do it - at all.  

There's just something really icky to me about their sex scenes - probably because I find the investigator so creepy.  But, at this point in time, I find her really distasteful as well - so, I'm guessing that is the reason....

• Love 2

Not being sufficiently interested in any of the drama, I guess I'll talk about the trial.  US v. Causby is an actual case from 1943.  He owned a chicken farm at the end of a runway that was used for military training.  The 83' limit came about because that was the altitude of the planes when they were landing, including bombers.  Jeez, if a B-17 flew over my head at 83', I'd be scared too.  Anyway, some other points of information:  FAR Part 91 requires airplanes to maintain at least 1000' altitude over congested areas, except when landing/taking off.  Currently, as the show put forth, there are few regulations relating to UAV use.  Nor are there regulations about bringing drones down, too, as far as I know (firearm use excepted).  The FAA actually lost a case a few years ago when they tried to fine an operator for flying a drone, and the judge said the rules were too general.  I think Diane should have consulted with another  SME on drone law before she brought the FAA guy in.  She could have countered the Causby argument fairly easily.  In the end, the whole trial was mostly to introduce another available attorney for the firm. 

Having said all that, what kind of therapist does not take steps to protect his clients' privacy?  As was said, every neighbor could see any person walking into and out of his garage (vision of loud garage door opening and client stepping over skis and bicycles), and the nature of his business would be clear.  I think he has a right to drone-free privacy in and around his house, but so do his clients.

• Love 1

It was fun seeing Max Medina onscreen - too bad they didn't have him share any screentime with Cary. 

I love Cary, and I'm glad he's getting out of that mess. He can be a fantastic lawyer without dealing with the politics of a big firm. Or any firm really. I'd watch a spinoff of Cary moving to DC and working for the DOJ.  

• Love 5

It was weird to me that Alicia wanted/expected Jason to wait around in her apartment all day until she got home.

I think she likes being the one with power and prestige in the relationship. I think there is supposed to be some theme about how she is becoming like the man in the "relationship"-- telling him in the office that he'd better be at her apartment that evening no matter what. It seems like something a sleazy boss would do once his mistress tries to break away from the affair. But as much as Alicia claims to just want a casual fling, she is clearly pretty crazy about him emotionally.

I originally started watching this show because I loved Juliana Marguelis. She went to my alma mater for college and I loved her in ER (I was a teenager at that time) and I'm also a lawyer so I was interested to see how she would play that role. But now I kind of regret ever watching it because I pretty much hate her. I know it's just a character but seeing that character in combination with reading about her real life feuds with Archie and how she can be a mega diva, makes me glad that this show is ending and I honestly don't know if I'd ever want to watch anything starring her again. :-/

I never knew whether I liked or hated Cary but I guess by now I'm just indifferent. It never made sense to me that he would have become a partner, let alone a named partner, after such a short amount of time and when he didn't seem to have much to offer. He didn't seem cutthroat, competitive, or jerkish enough to be a successful partner there... all of those are good things to his credit but it confused me as to why he stuck around so long and why they gave him so much power. He wasn't innocent in anything either and I think the environment started to change him for the worst. So I'm happy he's on to hopefully bigger and better things, unlike the rest of them who are still stuck in their miserable lives and game-playing. I was so mad at Alicia for outright lying to Cary's face and it was just sad to me that their former friendship had derailed so much.

The scene where Alicia told Peter she wanted a divorce, and his later reaction/request that she stay with him until after his "for real this time" indictment, made me surprisingly sad. I was rooting for her to divorce him but that part just showed me what a sad sham their entire marriage was and how he was still using and manipulating her-- making it all about him-- until the very last minute. I almost hope she doesn't grant his request but at the same time, although I hate Peter, I don't know if I hate him enough to hope that he gets indicted and goes to jail for a long time. I just think any outcome is so bleak and I don't see that Alicia is happy at all now. She was happy with Will but she didn't do anything about it and it seems like she has just been even more miserable since then.

I wish the show had ended once Will died/left. At first I was pleasantly surprised at all the new plots they were able to come up with without him and I thought the show was still interesting. But after the end of that season it has just been a crapshow.

BTW I enjoyed watching Josh Charles on Masters of Sex. There is just something about that actor that makes him better and much more likeable than pretty much any actor on The Good Wife. (I do like Eli in terms of acting and plot although the things he does drive me crazy sometimes! Of course I love his daughter Marissa too. And I usually liked Kalinda although some parts of her storyline, like her ex husband, annoyed me, as did her crazy outfits.)

PS Jason really annoys me and I hate his smirkiness. Why does he seem to think EVERYTHING is a joke except the one thing that I actually thought was funny-- Peter being shocked and offended by his estranged wife living a life that doesn't include him? When they first introduced him and then there were warnings from his past and from what other characters said about him, I really thought he was going to be bad news for Alicia, her clients, or someone. Now he's just this smirky guy she likes to have sex with and boss around. I have never understood the appeal and every time they show them in bed together or kissing it has the opposite effect on me than the one I'm assuming it's supposed to. I feel nauseous and want to change the channel because it is just so over the top and fake and gross.

Edited by GuiltyPleasureTV
  • Love 4

I liked her coat too but it looked like something that you'd wear for a seduction scene, dramatically disrobing to reveal your birthday suit or sexy lingerie. Kind of the opposite of what happened.

I'm glad that Alicia got some good zingers in during that conversation either. When he asked if this was because of Jason and then she tilted her head and said that of course she would never want a divorce unless she had another man was hilarious. ...

I liked this scene in that they both had some great digs at each other. Peter has absolutely no right to criticize her, but I did laugh at "You're in love? Again?" because it's so true. Alicia is full of shit if she is pretending that Peter finding Jason had nothing to do with her decision. Jason doesn't like being in the middle of her and Peter, so she's taking care of that problem. Sure, it's all about sex. Right.

David Lee has always been a cartoon character to me.  Among all the craziness of how law firms DON'T work depicted on this show, the idea that this family law weasel would be co-named with Diane Lockhart is one of the most laughable for me.  

Eh. I worked at a law firm that was known for working with hedge funds and private equity. Of three named partners, one specialized in estate planning and marital law. HUGE business. David being a named partner makes perfect sense. Agree that he is a weasel and a cartoon, though.

This is my favorite comment anywhere today. Maybe in the last week. :)

Also agree with this completely: 

I also cheered when Cary said "No" to offering Alicia the promotion. I fear my estimate of Alicia's character went subterranean when she found her way into Cary's office to ask him to help out Lucca. Had she not been lying to him, gaslighting him and conspiring against his job securtiy on a daily basis it might have been understandable, but the complete lack of awareness and shame on her part was just deplorable.

I had no problems with Peter's jerk reaction towards Jason - everything else would have been completely out of character. Still Alicia annoyed me to no end throughout the whole episode. Her weird questions about Jason's religion (why is this presumably well educated woman so god-damn clueless about religion?), her stating that Grace's faith annoys her more than Jason's, her insistence that she's friends with Carey after having lied to his face (is she a secret psychopath?), her insistence that she just wants sex from Jason then reacting like a giggly teenager in lurv when she finds him in her bedroom and her staring at yet another glass of booze.

The religion thing annoys me even more than her booze fixation, which annoys me a lot. Why is religion so threatening to her? How is she an adult who can't get past the fact that religious people exist in her life? Does she really think that Jason identifying as Greek Orthodox has any bearing on anything? If he found their relationship sinful or unacceptable on religious grounds, he wouldn't be there. And really, show, at this point there is no time to adequately address this question—what is Alicia's damage around religion—so let go of it! Same with the booze question! Unless the last episode has her standing up at a meeting declaring, "I'm Alicia and I'm an alcoholic atheist," let's pull the plug on this nonsense.

And of a piece of this show going downhill, the moment when Alicia says "I want a divorce"  should have been this awesome, fist-pumping moment, but of course it's not. Because even though she deflected doing it because of Jason, that was completely the catalyst. For all her talk about "don't worry boo, it's just sex" I've long suspected that Alicia has been secretly writing "Mrs. Alicia McSmirkerson" in her Trapper Keeper.

So this is the final season: they bust out a sexy bedhead wig, show Alicia being a sucky friend to Cary, and also show her overcompensating with Lucca as a Kalinda replacement. Woo-hoo, what a way to end the series!

Yup.

Edited by lovinbob
  • Love 3

I disagree this has anything to do with Jason. I think that Jason and this request for a divorce are all to do with Will. With her realising that everything that happened up until now, including her decision not to commit to Will even though he loved her, was her decision and that she has a responsibility to start making active decisions about her life.

Maybe the writers will try to tell us she and Jason are in love. I don't believe it for a second. And I'm sorry but unless you think a woman should only love once, Peter's comment was douchey. Guy's a front-and-centre asshole.