Type keyword(s) to search

Wynonna Earp - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Started binging. I love this show! It's stupid fun with lots of snark and hot guys and it doesn't take itself too seriously. I kinda feel like it's a cross between Buffy season 1, Supernatural and Evil Dead. It pretty much hits all the right button for me: ass-kicking female lead, Weird West (sorta), humor and female friendship.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, ZoqFotPik said:

Nobody seems to be all that concerned that Lucado is going to nuke the town. Wynonna was standing right there. Did she not hear her?

That was bothering me too.  I thought that maybe I misunderstood Lucado because no one was acting like time was of the essence and they should probably be evacuating the town or something.

19 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I found the depiction of her untouched room a few episodes ago to be kind of strange. Full of dolls and horse toys. That's like a six-year-old's room

Agreed.  Her room looked like a young girl's room.  Most 13 year olds would be out of that stage.  Especially, since it seems like Willa was kind of an asshole even back then.  Not the type to play with dolls.

(edited)

Okay 9 episodes in and I'm totally hooked. 

I also seriously dig Doc Holliday and help me God I think I'm shipping him and Wynona.

By the way, somebody in the thread mentioned she looks (and acts, really) a lot like Jessica Jones and now I can't unsee it. Only she's Jessica Jones with Abby Mills' backstory, sorta. We even get an amalgamation of a bald black dude as (one of) love interests (JJ) and a dude from another time as another partner (Sleepy Hollow).

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 5
(edited)

Finished the season! Not thrilled with episodes 10-12 (a bit too much forced Dolls/Wynonna romance, I mean, I knew it was coming, and I don't hate Dollas, but it failed to convince me), but the last one was pretty awesome. I almost felt sorry for Bobo despite how creepy (if you think about it) his relationship with Willa was. The ending was all kinds of WTF though.  A Ctulhu-esque tentacle monster? Waverly suddenly being possessed (?) and shooting Wynonna/Doc? That felt random. Otherwise, a good episode with lots of great stuff.

12 Monkeys was one of my favorite new shows last year, and I think I'd take Wynonna Earp s2 over 12 Monkeys s3 at this point... although mostly because 12 Monkeys had a really disappointing s2 (IMHO). 

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1
On 6/25/2016 at 11:31 AM, MissLucas said:

Doc filling in Officer Haught and her over-enthusiastic reaction

That was fun but was straight up Buffy  "Vampires are real, a lot of them live in Sunnydale.." "That explains a lot!"

I do like Nicole, competent and smart with the bullet proof vest.

I ended up feeling for sorry for Willa, who was obviously a brat and a pushy older sister but ended up being killed by her sister after being kidnapped and brainwashed for most of her teen and then young adult life.  A raw deal, really.  Her and Bobo were creepy, didn't he pretend to be an invisible friend or something to Waverly when she was young?  That was way back in the beginning, I might be mis-remembering.

Doc and Dolls were fun, but the Old Ones?? Really, will we get Cthulu next?  The CGI on the creature was pretty bad, but the show is fun so I don't care.

I hope the show comes back...we have mystery guy JC (but not THAT JC), Dolls in prison (surprised he didn't jump out of the back of the truck) and I also heard that the town was going to be wiped out?  What was up with that?  Plus lots more revenants to kill and whatever's going on with Waverly.

Come back, show!  Just no love triangle with Wynonna/Doc/Dolls, thanks.

• Love 1

Interview: Wynonna Earp‘s Dominique Provost-Chalkley and Katherine Barrell On The Finale and Defying The Lesbian Death Trope

"As far as Nicole, I’d like to see more stuff with the other characters as well because it’s been a lot of focus on Waverly. It’s really important that Nicole maintains her individuality. I don’t want her to just be a piece of WayHaught. I want her to be involved and fleshed out in other aspects of her characterization. It’s happening in season one and I hope it continues. More scenes like episode seven with Wynonna and more watching her do her job and maybe interact with some of the other characters.

I think if things are going to start to changing for the better in the TV landscape, especially with better queer representation, it needs to be about more than just the character in the relationship. Because that’s all fine and it makes us excited. I mean, who doesn’t love that? But I also think it’s really important that we need to see these characters in other aspects, other dimensions of their lives. Do you know what I mean?"

'Wynonna Earp''s Emily Andras: "I Didn't Want To Make Her Some Dude’s Idea of a Broken Woman"

"It’s amazing and I never want to leave…Wynonna is such a progressive, insane, imaginative show, it would be hard to go back to doing something more conventional, to be completely honest. I feel like I’ve been so spoiled by the fans and the storytelling. I really have to give the network credit. There was nothing I pitched them this year — from gender issues to sexuality issues to crazy creatures to gore to weird sex stuff — that they said, 'That’s too far for us.'"

• Love 1

This Reddit AMA with creator/showrunner/exec producer Emily Andras was fun, too.

On Doc being in the well: "I think the well led to a spring, and the spring fed through various underground channels and caverns -- where Doc 'lived' for 130 years. We had intended to do a flashback showing Doc in said cavern, drinking from the underground stream that fed the well, but instead we used our $$ to film he and Shamier fighting with their shirts off. I hope you can forgive me. ;)"

On the girls' mom: "Yes, it's curious that the Earp Sisters' mom left three little girls in the care of a possible alcoholic corrupt cop who thought he was a demon fighter. I wonder what the story is there...hmm..."

On fighting for certain storylines: "I have always had to fight for the LGBT stuff. Always. Initially nobody wants the pretty girl to be a lesbian. Even if she's been like that since I started developing her (and I usually have). Nobody thinks there's an audience. Nobody thinks it's a real thing. Then it is. And the audience comes because they get it. And I feel triumphant. And happy. I think also 'female' driven storytelling is still somehow seen as less 'legitimate' or 'prestigious' than shows that feature a male anti-hero...in the same way almost any novel written by a female author is decreed 'chitlit' regardless of content. So I feel like my work is often dismissed as pap regardless of critical adoration or audience success. But here I am, still making TV that I'd watch. And that smells like victory. :) That's my raging feminist answer and I'm sticking to it."

• Love 1

Guys can we talk about the episode 13?

It was a really good episode, of course we knew that Willa was evil, but what about that weird ass snake? It came from nowhere, it looked like Nagini (from Harry Potter).

Waverly was so cute telling that she loves Nicole, I think she heard her saying that but acted cool about it, when she is shot and after all the kissing  she tries to say something to her, but  Wynonna throws Waves coat at them and she stops.....so ????

Tried multiple time to quote someone but couldn't. 

Agree that there is  no way Bobo/Willa isn't icky even if he didn't actually "touch" her when she was 13.  NO WAY. 

The thing about the room...This is how I see that scenario.  We know from flashbacks that Willa at least once was trying to be a normal girl who had some test at school the next day and wanted to go to sleep but crazy dad dragged her out in the wee hours to practice shooting because she was going to be the heir.  Now first of all I THINK the dude was drunk.  We also know the dude beat his wife so he's a horrible person.  I think that the guy didn't let the "chosen" daughter have a normal childhood.  I think he controlled her (in order to mold her) more than a normal dad and that therefore it stunted her growth (emotionally.)  So maybe he didn't let her collect posters and buy music and play on whatever tech toy was in when she was 13.  Instead he drilled her day and night on being the heir and she had only her dolls for comfort.  If so this is even more tragic because she goes from being brainwashed to be a killing machine/Earp heir to being kidnapped by Revenants one of whom apparently was brainwashing her to be his bride, to being re-kidnapped by a witch who gave her to an out and out cult leader.  By my way of reckoning the poor young woman had been brainwashed 3 times before the age of 30.  That is why I still feel bad for her.  What chance did she have?  She seemed pretty much suicidal in her last speech if you take it apart.  Sure she was ranting about the town deserving to be destroyed but even before the snake thing attacked I didn't get the impression she really thought she'd be OK.  Her original plan to go off with Bobo was already dust and her back up plan seemed pretty shaky.  I think she kind of knew she wasn't long for this world.  I also thought she gave a little nod of acceptance when it was obvious that Wynona was going to shoot her so she wouldn't have to suffer death by Cythulu-stand-in.

I hope we find out how things shake out by getting another season but if Bobo was Waverly's daddy I wish they hadn't killed him.  There would be more angst if the (probable) Revenant that fathered Waverly were alive to cause it.  Hmmm Maybe it is the (probably) NOT Revenant (possibly Angel) guy that knocked out Doc and showed him the old badge. 

On 29.06.2016 at 11:15 PM, MorganSte said:

Anybody think BOBO might be Waverly's dad?

I think it's a new character. Probably the next Big Bad. And it's quite possible that Waverly was adopted, so maybe it's her mom that's the big bad. Or maybe they'll continue the Dawn parallels and she's something magical or whatever.

Maybe Waverly is the witch's kid. She said her sons were "something else" besides Revenants, although you'd think she'd be just as adamant about finding a missing daughter as she was about resurrecting her dead sons so maybe not. 

Wouldn't Willa and Wynona know if Waverly was adopted?  There's a 5-6 year spread between them so you'd think they'd remember a baby showing up without a pregnancy?  And I would think Willa would have used that against Waverly in these last couple of episodes.  So I bet their mom had an affair.  

• Love 1

There's a five year difference between me and my brother and, in all honesty, I don't really remember my mother having a belly. He was just... there. 

9 hours ago, kariyaki said:

There's a five year difference between me and my brother and, in all honesty, I don't really remember my mother having a belly. He was just... there. 

Fair enough, I'm the youngest so I don't have any real world experience :)

But I am from a small town (like Purgatory) and someone would have mentioned the sheriff's youngest daughter being adopted by now, surely.

• Love 1
On 01.07.2016 at 5:51 PM, MorganSte said:

Wouldn't Willa and Wynona know if Waverly was adopted?  There's a 5-6 year spread between them so you'd think they'd remember a baby showing up without a pregnancy?  And I would think Willa would have used that against Waverly in these last couple of episodes.  So I bet their mom had an affair.  

I'm basing my suspicions on the pilot: they showed Willa's and Wynonna's height measurements carved on the wall, but Waverly's were suspiciously absent. I think it's possible they didn't remember Waverly being adopted: personally, my first clear memory was when I was 5, and even after that, there aren't that many until I was like 7-8.

I don't think the show would go with the adoption angle when half-sister with a Revenant or other otherwise Other!* Daddy is the other option. I thought Bobo figured it out (at least part of it) when Waverly "Earp" burying the totem didn't actually work.  Maybe Wifebeating Daddy set her up on purpose to think she was responsible for the protections being broken since he was already planning on leaving with Bobo.

I hadn't realized how much I enjoyed Bobo and Michael Ecklund until he was killed off.  He and Waverly had a wonderful rapport (in terms of acting not sexytimes) that I would have liked to see more of.  Oh well, maybe Wynonna getting shot will "kill" her temporarily, re-setting the clock and putting all the Revenants she shot back in play next season.

*It seemed like too many "others," yet they all have purpose!

• Love 1

I just binge watched this show over 3 days and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. I ignored it for a long time, and I'm not sure what made me decide to give it a try, but I'm glad I did! I wouldn't say it's great television, but it's campy and fun, and I think they get a lot of stuff right in terms of sexuality and female characters and not slut-shaming those female characters. Sometimes I lose the plot because the writers are trying to show rather than tell, which is normally a great choice, but they're a little clumsy at it. I can follow it well enough to avoid being completely lost, though, and I think the character relationships are more compelling than the plot anyway, so it's not a deal breaker.

I've seen a lot of ambivalence and even dislike for Dolls, but I actually like him a lot! It's almost a running gag on the show that he's boring, I just don't actually think he is. His character is a very tightly controlled person who expresses himself through micro-expressions (sometimes it really is “blink and you'll miss it”) and short bursts of “Eh screw it, I can't have a stick up my ass 24/7.” He both amuses and intrigues me.

I also noticed a couple of scenes in the first couple of episodes where the actors playing Wynonna and Dolls looked like they were on the verge of breaking into giggle fits, like they were having so much fun with the snarky dialogue that they could barely contain themselves. Even though I felt like I was seeing the actors struggle to remain in character, it sold me on Dolls and Wynonna's chemistry as friends and partners right away. I had no problem with the romance angle either, and I don't feel that it came out of nowhere (although their kiss did). Even the love triangle doesn't bother me because it feels a lot less angsty and gross and possession-based than most of the others I've seen.

I dread the return of the Stone Witch (and her horrible acting) waaaaay more than the inevitable love triangle. They didn't kill her, so I feel like she's going to come back at some point, but I beg you, show, please don't.

• Love 8

Passionate fan base has high expectations for second season of Alberta-shot Wynonna Earp

Season 2 is expected to begin airing in July. In Canada, it will remain on CHCH. That is an Ontario network although is available on some cable packages in Alberta. The episodes will also stream on CHCH.com and be available on iTunes. Season 1 will eventually stream on Netflix, says producer Jordy Randall of Calgary’s Seven24 Films.

(edited)

Wait. So did Waverly actually pull a gun and fire at the end of last season? What was she shooting at? We're going to just jump to them fleeing through the woods with no explanation of how we got there? This show has always had a really bad habit of failing to connect the dots on a basic level. 

Oh well what the heck. Let's just watch Wynonna beat up people. 

P.S. Do any of the women on this show own any shirts that cover their midriff?

P.P.S. Was that Dominique Provost-Chalkley's native accent?

Edited by Xantar
  • Love 1

She was shooting at the demon that was chasing them at the begining. Doc said 'You made it awful peevish' Waverly replied with something along the lines of 'it was heading for your back when I shot it'.

I don't think DP-C is *quite* that elocution-y in real life. 

4 minutes ago, MrPissyPuppy said:

I see Doc still hasn't discovered shampoo.  

He might have to now he's lost the hat...

• Love 1

Geez, I was mostly confused because a) I had forgotten lots of stuff that has happened last season and b) the sound was really off and I had a hard time understanding anything. I've got lots of questions but I guess once the season proceeds those will be answered. But here are some random ones: What did Doc mumble about Dolls and his 'problem'? Why did Doc not tell Wynonna the message Dolls whispered into his ear? Or was the message meant for Eliza? What's the key for? Was Nicole seriously upset about not getting invited to sign a contract with her own blood that was clearly drafted by Wolfram and Hart? I'm not adding 'what's up with Waverly' since that's clearly the season's big mystery.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

Geez, I was mostly confused because a) I had forgotten lots of stuff that has happened last season and b) the sound was really off and I had a hard time understanding anything. I've got lots of questions but I guess once the season proceeds those will be answered. But here are some random ones: What did Doc mumble about Dolls and his 'problem'? Why did Doc not tell Wynonna the message Dolls whispered into his ear? Or was the message meant for Eliza? What's the key for? Was Nicole seriously upset about not getting invited to sign a contract with her own blood that was clearly drafted by Wolfram and Hart? I'm not adding 'what's up with Waverly' since that's clearly the season's big mystery.

If you mean the bit around 15 mins in then Doc gave a brief character description/assassination of Dolls ending with  'He's a good man. He's also not a man at all.'

Message could of been for Eliza or even Waverly but I would imagine it was for Wynonna and, well, Doc has been shown to have a bit of a jealousy thing going on with the Wynonna/Dolls dynamic so maybe that was at play here. He doesn't exactly always do the honourable thing.

The key's been present since the very first episode and we don't know what its significance is yet but they've said in interviews that it will be addressed at some point this season.

Presumably Waverly and Nicole were just too damn happy together so we now have to have the dramaz - Waverly possessed by something and Nicole being all needy and wanting to sign contracts in blood which never ever ends well. Except maybe that one time.

• Love 2

Ah, thanks! I kinda wish that Waverly was not possessed but that she's being half-human, half-whatever (obviously something cool) that has awoken because of uhm... something that happened in last season's finale.

2 hours ago, Tallis said:

She was shooting at the demon that was chasing them at the begining. Doc said 'You made it awful peevish' Waverly replied with something along the lines of 'it was heading for your back when I shot it'.

I figured that out after I posted, but to me that's just an example of really bad writing or directing. It would have taken all of two seconds for them to show a demon behind Doc getting hit by Waverly's bullet and then Wynonna shouting, "Run!" We then join the crew fleeing through the woods as seen in the episode. Maybe with an additional line like, "What is that thing? Is that a revenant?!"

It's been an issue for me all throughout the first season. The writers just skip stuff or transitions are too jarring. 

• Love 3

Wow, that was just awful (no disrespect to anyone who liked it).  I thought the writing and directing were stupid and clumsy, respectively, especially the ridiculous situations (Scotland Yard? really?) and lack of humor.  Yeah, I get that Wynona had to shoot her sister and that might be a bit of a downer, but I watch this show for the snark and bad assery, neither of which were present here.  What a waste of Rachael Skarsten (moment of silence for Lost Girl, sob), although it was nice to see that Kevin Hanchard was able to take a break from Orphan Black.  I don't understand why  Doc H is still around (plot-wise,t hat is), or what his plan is.  This episode was so boring I could barely make it to the end. I miss Bo Bo. 

• Love 1

I liked it - I thought there was a lot of humor, maybe not quite as much snark from Wynonna, but that's to be expected, she only JUST shot her sister.  I thought it was a fair blend of killed-my-sister-angst and rescue caper.   Keeping up the running joke about Doc's hat was fun, as was the sheriff saying Wynonna wasn't a "flowers and chocolate kind of girl", which he also stated last season.  Maybe he will say that every season, if the show keeps going, heh.   We still have Wynonna being badass but fumbling other things.

I liked the jump right into the action and how the show kept it going.   Eliza felt superfluous but I guess they needed a way to get into the Initiative Black Badge warehouse.

I don't think Nicole is needy so much as she immediately sensed something's wrong with Waverly - who is acting more confident - and Nicole may not quite be sure how to proceed, being just thrown into everything.  With the relationship so new, she could also be thinking "was this always Waverly or did she change".   I can accept Wynonna being distracted, but I would be annoyed if no one noticed something a bit different with Waverly.

1 hour ago, Triskan said:

So....  what about Jeremy ?

I guess he went home :) but I think we will see him again.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Triskan said:

So....  what about Jeremy ?

3 hours ago, raven said:

I guess he went home :) but I think we will see him again.

Watching (with equal parts horror and hilarity) the current cabinet reshuffle over here in the UK so my mind went somewhere else entirely for a minute reading this :D

I did enjoy the episode overall but, like the very first episode, I don't think it showcased the characters to their best advantage and I hope things get back on a more even keel next week.

It felt a little disjointed to me, too, but it was nice to see everyone again, and there were some good quips. Hopefully now that the new team dynamics and the plot for the season have been set up, it'll get back on track.

I enjoyed the joke about Waverly's British accent being the worst Haught had ever heard, considering Provost-Chalkley sounded pretty much like her usual self (jump to about 2:27), just maybe a bit more clipped and with a slightly higher tone: 

• Love 1