Type keyword(s) to search

Wynonna Earp - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I think the show itself got confused whether Hypnos can manipulate time (that would explain the accumulated dust - apparently they all slept for a month - then Hypnos turned the clock back and everything except Wynonna's pregnancy went back to normal) or if he's just manipulating minds to believe time has passed (in this case Wynonna's advanced pregnancy makes less sense than in the former scenario) *wavy hands*

Edited by MissLucas
10 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

I think the show itself got confused

LOL, this makes the most sense.

Now, the widows needed to break the three seals in order to do.......? I think I should watch this show when I'm less sleepy ?  I was mainlineing the "Underworld" films and then skipped over to WE.

I figured that time actually did pass and he turned it back (which the baby somehow ignored), and that he was just doing a kind of "wink wink" thing with Wynonna, all, "Isn't it funny how it seems like a lot of time passes while you're dreaming, but it's only been a few minutes?" The alternative wouldn't make any sense, because time had obviously passed when Wynonna first woke up (there was dust on everything and the diner's food was dried up and had flies on it).

• Love 1

Or The Doctor Hypnos was confused about what his powers actually are. 

6 hours ago, bosawks said:

I felt bad for Dolls but I felt worse for Waverly's room.

It just got redone and now it has Tuckturd's blood all over it and a broken window, c'mon!

I loved when Nicole realized that Tucker was in Waves room, I could hear her mentally shouting, "Oh Hell No!!". Tucker wanting Poppy to wear Waves cheerleading outfit was Très Creepy. That perv needs to be put down. (Dirt Nap)

• Love 1

My theory/justification/explaination of the time shenanigans is that Hypnos slowed time down so a day lasted a month. Everyone who was asleep slowed down with it, so no physical changes apart from Wynonna who was an anomally. Everything inanimate/not asleep was not slowed down so dust gathered, food went off, etc.

On another note, the Earp curse needs an heir to atttach itself too. If Waverly is not in fact an Earp then Wynonna is the end of the line. That being so, she needs to have a child so the line continues so maybe the curse interfered with her double birth control?

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Tallis said:

My theory/justification/explaination of the time shenanigans is that Hypnos slowed time down so a day lasted a month. Everyone who was asleep slowed down with it, so no physical changes apart from Wynonna who was an anomally. Everything inanimate/not asleep was not slowed down so dust gathered, food went off, etc.

On another note, the Earp curse needs an heir to atttach itself too. If Waverly is not in fact an Earp then Wynonna is the end of the line. That being so, she needs to have a child so the line continues so maybe the curse interfered with her double birth control?

I like this explanation as it covers all of the inconsistencies as far as time goes.  However, if the Curse has that much control, what would have happened if Wynonna chose to be celibate (Hah!!) How closely is Peacemaker tied to the curse? I know it needs to be wielded by an Heir in order to be effective, but what was up with the alarm clock setting on Peacemaker?  Is Peacemaker sentient?

• Love 1

Maybe Peacemaker is haunted or possessed by the ghosts of the former heirs. You die, you end up in the gun. I can just see them all squabbling in there like the royal ghost brothers in Stardust. Actually it could be an awesome way to get a present day visit from Wyatt because you know that's got to happen at some point.

• Love 1

The whole conversation where Wyatt finds out that his former BFF has upduffed his great great granddaughter is the no. 1 reason I want a present day Wyatt visit. A more awkward conversation it is difficult to imagine :D

• Love 4

@Tallis and here I thought I was halfway familiar with British terms, you come along with "upduffed". I had to look that up, already suspecting what it implied:

It refers to the female of our species being: 
a) with child 
b) preggers 
c) bun in the oven 
d) fat! (sometimes, the person you say is pregnant - in fact isn't!) 
e) expecting 
f) in a family way 
g) in a fix 
h) knocked-up 
i) breeding 
j) drink out of the well 
j) up the duff (see question) 
k) She's full

Tip of my hat to you, Sir!

• Love 1

Google says it is a Māori word: 

hapū

1. (stative) be pregnant, conceived in the womb.

Kei Te Autereti tonu a Eruera e mahi ana, kei Hekerangi tonu e noho ana, ka hapū anō tō mātau whāea (EM 2002:49). / While Eruera was at Te Autereti working, and still living at Hekerangi, our mother became pregnant again.

So I guess that's one way to deal with pregnancy! That last scene with Waverly and Wynonna was so great, it felt so real. I'm still not sure that this baby is a "normal" baby, and not some kind of demon or something else supernatural. Doc isn't exactly a normal guy (he's immortal or undead or something), so maybe his offspring wouldn't be. I just don't know if the show will want to keep a baby around on the show on a permanent basis. I do like how they're dealing with the pregnancy though.

This was a pretty dark episode, less quips and silliness than in a lot of episodes. That's not a bad thing, just something I noticed. I'm alright with the show getting more dramatic when the situation calls for it. The main plot of the episode, with everyone in town falling asleep, was alright, but it was more about the pregnancy, and everyone dealing with that. Doc had a pretty freaked out initial reaction, but he came around in the end. Doc hasn't always been the best guy in the world, but he has come trough in the clutch, so I found it all in character.

Dolls really was in a shitty mood, wasn't he? I get that he's upset about his life falling apart, but there's no reason to be a jerk to Wynonna and start shooting people/demons! Maybe he was right that killing Hypnos was the correct call, pragmatically, but it was still a pretty shitty thing to do. I do like that, as tough as Wynonna is on the nasty elements she fights, she still feels sympathy for the revenants/demons who aren't super evil, did evil things due to outside forces, or show some remorse for what they've done. I like that part of her character.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Dolls really was in a shitty mood, wasn't he? I get that he's upset about his life falling apart, but there's no reason to be a jerk to Wynonna and start shooting people/demons! Maybe he was right that killing Hypnos was the correct call, pragmatically, but it was still a pretty shitty thing to do. I do like that, as tough as Wynonna is on the nasty elements she fights, she still feels sympathy for the revenants/demons who aren't super evil, did evil things due to outside forces, or show some remorse for what they've done. I like that part of her character.

I could see where he was coming from. There he was thinking he's finally free from the BB nightmare, that he has a chance to be his own man and that he could finally be open to Wynonna. And then he notices the pregnancy. That kiss was very poignant - it was him acknowledging his feelings and at the same time burying them again. And in the next scene he's put his emotions on reset and returned to BB mode complete with playing the no longer hierarchy card more or less ordering Wynonna to shoot Hypnos. He returned to their established dynamics because he can't see any other. Hypnos got caught in the crossfire so to speak.

7 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

He returned to their established dynamics because he can't see any other. Hypnos got caught in the crossfire so to speak.

Their established dynamics wasn't anything like that. They usually got along well. Well enough that they came to care for each other. To me, what Dolls did was OOC. The decision to kill a demon was usually left up to Wynonna. I don't believe Dolls has ever ordered Wynonna to kill a demon and certainly not one who she felt sympathy for.

• Love 1

Doc and Wynonna's indiscretions haunt the team and the ties that bind them; Wynonna and Nicole hit the road for answers.

Promo:

Sneak Peeks:

If that second sneak peek is any indication, the Wynonna/Nicole scenes in this one are going to be so good!

I loved this one. The relationships on this show are fantastic, no matter which characters are sharing the screen. I can't even decide which storyline I prefer. Nicole and Wynonna were hilarious and I like that they're friends. And pretty much everything in the guy's plot was perfect.

• Love 2

I liked bass reeves and hus ghost ranger crew and i hooe they pop up again... Now that he knows he isn't the dad i wonder how doc us gonna be to wynona also wondering what that does for her relationship with him and dolls going fwd. 

I still believe that Waverly and Wynonna are sisters. They would not take away that deliciousness. Now, whether Ward is the daddy its debatable. I would still like Waverly to be a biological Earp. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kuther2000 said:

I still believe that Waverly and Wynonna are sisters. They would not take away that deliciousness. Now, whether Ward is the daddy its debatable. I would still like Waverly to be a biological Earp. 

I had always assumed that Waverly and Wynonna had the same mother, but she cheated on her husband and the other guy was Waverly's father. But even if they are not biologically related at all they still grew up as sisters and would probably continue to see each other as sisters. To me it doesn't matter if they are biologically related as long as it doesn't change the relationship between them.

• Love 2

I have absolutely no idea what the B-plot with Doc and the ghost rangers was about but I did not care one bit since drunk officer Hought was so massively adorkable. I remain impressed how they write pregnant Wynonna: vulnerable, angry, overwhelmed, yet still determined and badass. And even if it was some pretty dark humor I had to laugh at Wynonna mumbling 'sorry' to her belly after using the word 'abort'.

I'm glad Waverley came clear - like others I suspect mama Earp made a mistake and just like Wynonna she ended up with a revenant. The question what that means for Waverley (there have been plenty of hints that she has some mysterious powers) will all of a sudden gain additional importance for the Earp family. I'm normally not a fan of magical baby-stories (Angel scarred me forever) but since I really liked how they handled the pregnancy so far I'm cautiously optimistic we will not end with a Connor rip-off.

Now that he knows he isn't the dad i wonder how doc us gonna be to wynona also wondering what that does for her relationship with him and dolls going fwd. 

We don't actually know the revenant is the dad, right? That was the only negative I had for this episode. I couldn't figure out why everyone just switched over from thinking it was Doc (I loved his speech at the beginning of the episode). 

If Waverly isn't an Earp by blood, I hope it doesn't change anything (and I don't really expect it to). Having different parents (one or both) doesn't mean they're not sisters.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, akg said:

We don't actually know the revenant is the dad, right?

When Wynonna pulled the trigger her eyes momentarily turned yellow - have we seen that before? I thought that was confirmation that the revenant is the dad.

Edited by MissLucas

"We've been locked in this room for days" - the huge room with all of the windows?? 

The snowy scenery when Wynonna and Dolls leave the sisters' house was beautiful.   I really like that so much of the show takes place in winter.

Heh, I knew as soon as Wynonna backed out on telling Doc he might not be the father that Waverly would let it slip.

Jeremy and Dolls on stakeout - Dolls "I told you not to make this weird"  Jeremy "I didn't say I wouldn't"  Haha!

The guys working and then being bound together was so funny but Dolls's joy at meeting his hero, Bass Reeves was great, as was using his marshal status to pardon Doc and get them out of the jam.

The best was drunk Nicole and Wynonna and Nicole hanging out together.   "You don't become Wynonna Earp by confronting problems head on"  Melanie Scrofano's delivery is so on point.

When slimy revenant that might be the father says there have instances of revenants and humans having children, camera cuts to Waverly.  I'm glad that Waverly told Wynonna she might not be an Earp, though I don't think it affects their sisterhood either.   I don't think Wynonna's baby will be fathered by the revenant though.

Fun episode, my fave of the season so far. 

When Wynonna pulled the trigger her eyes momentarily turned yellow

I thought that was just the reflection of the flames his demise.  I don't know if we've seen it before though.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I'm normally not a fan of magical baby-stories (Angel scarred me forever) but since I really liked how they handled the pregnancy so far I'm cautiously optimistic we will not end with a Connor rip-off.

Please, please, as much as I loved "Angel", I hope to never hear that story again. Even Joss Whedon agrees that the Connor storyline was the worst thing he has ever done. I can't even look at Kartheiser again and it pains me that he's married to Rory from GG.

3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

When Wynonna pulled the trigger her eyes momentarily turned yellow - have we seen that before? I thought that was confirmation that the revenant is the dad.

I agree, the baby is part Revenant, and I believe it was slightly ticked that Wynonna killed it's father. No, her eyes have never changed before.

I thought this was a good episode also. They cleared all of the flotsam that was cluttering the story. Nicole was actually very understanding of how monumentally screwed Wynonna is right now. Baby-Daddy would have been all right if he just shut his mouth. Wynonna would have let him live, I believe, but he just couldn't stop boasting of how easy it was to shag the heir.

4 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Baby-Daddy would have been all right if he just shut his mouth. Wynonna would have let him live, I believe, but he just couldn't stop boasting of how easy it was to shag the heir.

Yeah, I took Wynonna pulling the trigger as show delivering its opinion on slut-shaming. Definitely a Buffy-moment so to speak.

There's a lot of these behind the scenes videos on Youtube.  I thought this one was interesting (2x06) because they talk about incorporating Melanie Scrofano's pregnancy into the show.

4 hours ago, bosawks said:

Yay!  I've developed a HUGE soft spot for this goofy, gory, cheesy, yet lovely and sweet show. 

Good for them.

I really like how the cast and Emily A are on social media and how appreciate they are of their fans too.

I'm not on SM but I appreciate every who is because they are helping to keep this show on the air.

8 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Yeah, I took Wynonna pulling the trigger as show delivering its opinion on slut-shaming. Definitely a Buffy-moment so to speak.

I was thinking does this this dumbass WANT to be shot?  So glad she did it.  I also liked when Wynonna was recounting to Nicole about how it happened (drinking and sex) she says "you know what, it worked" and we see her happy and fresh the morning after, going to work with the coffee.  Just...you should have used protection, Wynonna; I'm assuming there was none since she didn't say anything about it.

I think you all are right about the baby's father.  I don't think it's Doc now because it would be problematic to have them as a family unit on the show (IMO, of course) unless hopefully the baby magically disappears, never to be spoken of again (please)?  If not, with the revenant dead, we don't have to have parental disagreements about what's best and on and on.

4 minutes ago, raven said:

Just...you should have used protection, Wynonna; I'm assuming there was none since she didn't say anything about it.

Wynonna had said that she used two forms of birth control in the episodes prior, so she felt she was good to go and the pregnancy should not have happened.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, raven said:

Just...you should have used protection, Wynonna; I'm assuming there was none since she didn't say anything about it.

She mentioned last week that she's been on double contraception since her teenage years. Looks like demon revenant sperm does not care.

I wonder if Wynonna is entirely human or if she is human, how the fact that she's an "heir" make her different?  I assume, forgive me for "ass-u-ming", that the Revenants have been "mixing" with the other human females on Purgatory.  If that's the case, are there other offsprings (Revenants-Human) in the town? 

1 minute ago, FurryFury said:

The revenant said it had never happened before, so he assumed it wasn't possible.

Well, I missed THAT! Thanks for clearing that up. Well, the writers may need to come up with an explanation of how Wynonna came to be pregnant when other Purgatory females did not.  His admission implies that there have been liasons before. I guess the Curse never took into account Wynonna's free spirit.

No, the revenant said it was unlikely, but there were rumors of revenants and humans breeding (his term).  Then the camera cuts to Waverly.  Subtle!

This was right before he goes into his slut shaming blather and then Wynonna shoots him.

4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

This show and it's sound-editing.

This is my only complaint about the show. The sound editing is horrible and this is why I refuse to watch each episode without closed captioning. You miss a lot of the dialogue otherwise.

Drunk Nicole was the absolute best and so hilarious. Wynonna needs to take her out drinking more often.

I didn't know I needed Drunk Nicole, but, as it turns out, I totally did. She was so dang adorable and funny, and I love when she and Wynonna bond. Really, I enjoy any character combination on this show, they've really found their groove with the cast. Even new guy Jeremy fits in quite well with the gang. I wonder if Jeremy will become some kind of scientist/magic user, because that sounds like a super cool combination.

I suspected all along that Doc might not be the father (or that Wynonna at least had doubts) and now we find out it could be a half human half remnant. Granted, the other option is that its half human half immortal 100 year old cowboy, so this was probably never going to be a totally normal pregnancy.

I'm interested in where Doc and Wynonna's relationship will go from here, with the father of the baby in question. They were never really officially boyfriend/girlfriend or anything, but they were definitely something, so knowing that Wynonna slept with some random guy and Doc thought that they were going to have a baby together really adds some issues to the group dynamic. Speaking of, Dolls just needs to admit that he likes Doc and that he's basically his BFF at this point. Stop denying it, dude. Nobody's buying what your selling.

I really liked the plot with the guys, it was cool seeing ghostly Bass Reeves and his posse, and Dolls going all fanboy about him. I'm glad they're expanding the shows universe beyond the revenants and the stuff surrounding them. Now we get new demons and ghost witches and ghostly lawmen and sexy monster fighting firemen, and all kinds of cool stuff.

Even if Waverly isn't a biological Earp, she's still been an Earp her whole life, and I don't think it would change the relationship too much between Wynonna and Waverly if they aren't biologically related, or are half sisters. They've been sisters their whole lives, and nothing will change that.

• Love 2

On a bit of a more logistical note, how big is Purgatory supposed to be? 

We know that the whole of the Ghost River Triangle is thousands of square miles and cuts a chunk of a city, but Purgatory proper's population eludes me. How many people would it take to support four strip clubs? 

• Love 2

They were dropping the "Waverly is half revenant" anvils pretty hard tonight, huh? Not only did the camera cut to Waverly when Jonas said a human/revenant pregnancy has happened before, but, as Autostraddle recapper Valerie Anne pointed out:

And then, something interesting happens. Nicole says that if Wynonna is an Earp, and the bartender is a revenant, the baby is…Waverly. Now, she says Waverly because her girlfriend happens to be calling at the moment, but I don’t think that can be ignored.

And of course there was Willa's diary excerpt from episode 2x02:

"Dear Diary, Today was a very bad day. I hate that they brought the baby into the house. There is something wrong with it. Mama told Daddy that we have to do what is right. What does that even mean? And why does she get the pretty name? WAVERLY. Whatever. She'll never be one of us."

My out-there theory is that, considering we see Wynonna time travel in the promo for next week's ep, her baby actually is Waverly. Wouldn't that be a trip?

• Love 4