Type keyword(s) to search

Wynonna Earp - General Discussion

• Start Topic

While Waverly’s change accelerates and Doc makes a dangerous deal, Wynonna must fight spider creatures. Yep.

Yes, that "yep" is in the actual episode description. So great!

There is a promo up on YouTube, but apparently it's wrong -- it's actually for episode three (which features a class reunion and Waverly in a cheerleader outfit).

I'd just cued up the episode to watch, thought I'd check here first for the ep description. DEMON SPIDERS??!! 

*revises plans to include drinking a lot of wine before actually watching*

• Love 2

You didn't think a demon spider looked like a tasty snack?

I liked this one -- it was more coherent than the premiere, Wynonna had a lot of great lines, and I'm glad that Jeremy has a crush on Doc. I was worried they'd try to make him come between Waverly and Nicole (although I should have known better; I don't think this is that type of show).

I'm looking forward to next week. Emily Andras said (at the end of an interview about this episode): "It will cheer everybody up, I’m hoping. It’s really fun and Episode 203 is a little bit more backstory about the girls in Purgatory and what their lives were like. We meet some new characters who are really important. It’s one of the most fun episodes of the year with a good villain. I really feel like 203 is when the cast is back to full form and everyone really starts cooking with those one-liners. It also has a really good Nicole Haught storyline where we dig deeper into where Nicole is at."

• Love 1

I'm afraid Mr. AngelKitty is going to opt out of this season. He thinks the creature demons are just too silly. I think he misses Bobo. I, however, don't really mind the silly creatures and will continue to watch.

I like silly creatures so I'm in for sure.

18 hours ago, Pyralis said:

My favourite scene was the Holliday-Locardo one.  "that's what I bring"

Yep :)  The woman from school was kind of fun too, glad she didn't get eaten.

I don't think the demony things in black have anything to do with Willa.

I think Doc is working with and/or hiding and/or helping Dolls somehow.  I'm curious as to what he and his friend are up to.

• Love 1

I miss Dolls, dammit! I hope the not-meth lab Doc is about to build in the basement is to synthesize the drug Dolls needs to not get into demon-lizard mood. Bit bored with all the monsters to be honest. Let's skip that and give us the big bad wolf of this season. And of course Waverley eat the spider because being Earps they left it on the kitchen table instead of throwing it into that Willa-paraphernalia-autodafé like every sane person on this planet would have. Jeremy and Mercedes are great additions to the cast. I guess Jeremy will stick around but I hope we also get to see more of Mercedes.

(edited)
On 6/10/2017 at 9:03 PM, mjc570 said:

What a waste of Rachael Skarsten (moment of silence for Lost Girl, sob)

Well, Ms. Skarsten (whom I loved in "Lost Girl" & "Birds of Prey") just finished a lengthy run as Queen Elizabeth on The CW's "Reign". I was hoping she would stick around, so yes, it was a waste.

@Xantar:

P.S. Do any of the women on this show own any shirts that cover their midriff?  God, I hope not!!! Waves has a serious body

P.P.S. Was that Dominique Provost-Chalkley's native accent?  Isn't she of Slavic descent? I kind of remember looking her up when the show first aired and I thought she was Polish or perhaps Russian? Why, oh why, did they have to make her part demon?  Does that mean that Wynonna may have to kill another sister?

I miss Dolls! I really enjoyed the Dolls/Earp banter.  I'm not really a fan of Doc

Edited by Jacks-Son
6 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I miss Dolls, dammit! I hope the not-meth lab Doc is about to build in the basement is to synthesize the drug Dolls needs to not get into demon-lizard mood.

Is that what they were doing in the makeshift lab? I thought it was a still for making hooch. Doc's partner complained about the quality of liquor, so I just assumed they were making their own since alcohol is expensive and it is just a saloon in a dying town.

Oh, and I too miss Dolls. The Dolls/Wynonna snark-fest really made the show fun.

Who in the Hell slit Earl's throat? Those spiders are incapable of that type of killing. Spiders bite, they don't slash throats.

I've got no idea what they're doing in that make-shift lab. Just wishful thinking that it's something to help Dolls. The lady (are we supposed to know her?) doesn't look like she's got a degree in chemistry but maybe I'm just narrow-minded.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jacks-Son said:

Was it from the goo?  Also, with regard to Doc's partner, I don't think we've seen her before.

Goo - yes.

Partner - nope, new character.

I also miss Dolls/Wynonna snark,  Hope we see Dolls soon!

So... who the hell is Earl? I really don't remember him, but the show sorta assumed I should have...

I don't really miss Dolls that much. He was OK, but I like the new dynamic too. Doc is definitely motivated by the stuff Dolls said to him, whatever it was. He was obviously trying to distance himself from Wynona, not to mention whatever he's doing in the lab.

That was pretty fun. There's lots of stuff going on with Waverly, the black ghosty thing (is Mercedes dead? I like her!), the Tucker family stuff, the Dolls plot, and, of course, the creature of the week (and he's not done - I like the wish thing, tempting heroes is always fun, especially anti-heroes like Doc and Wynonna). I kinda hope it will all tie together in the end, or mostly, at least.

Still digging Doc/Wynonna. Jeez, the way he looked at her when he said he wasn't helping Dolls for Dolls. I'm so in. Although I did like Perry too - hope he returns sometimes, he could be a useful ally.

The whole trophy case and high school REALLY gave me Buffy vibes. It's like they smashed together the episode about a high school sports team and the episode about a fraternity which summoned a demon. 

• Love 3

This episode was an improvement for the most part but I'm already tired of Waverly's storyline and the actress' over acting. Would like that story to get moving but I'm going to fast forward it until it does. 

10 hours ago, FurryFury said:

the black ghosty thing (is Mercedes dead? I like her!)

I think so but I hope not!  I like her too.  Her family is creepy though.  I like keeping the demon around in the trophy, I'm sure that will cause trouble later. 

Melanie Scrofano's hair looks gorgeous in every scene. 

I hope we don't go too far down the "Wynonna doesn't believe Nicole about Waverly" rabbit hole; that will get old, fast.  Since Dolls saw her black eyes at the end, hopefully things will come to a head soon.  I wonder what she is collecting silver for?   I'm looking forward to getting Dolls back in the mix.

Never touch the goo!  They said it in episode 1 :)

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, raven said:

I think so but I hope not!  I like her too.  Her family is creepy though.  I like keeping the demon around in the trophy, I'm sure that will cause trouble later. 

Melanie Scrofano's hair looks gorgeous in every scene. 

I hope we don't go too far down the "Wynonna doesn't believe Nicole about Waverly" rabbit hole; that will get old, fast.  Since Dolls saw her black eyes at the end, hopefully things will come to a head soon.  I wonder what she is collecting silver for?   I'm looking forward to getting Dolls back in the mix.

Never touch the goo!  They said it in episode 1 :)

Yeah, I hope that's not the end for Mercedes, but I definitely heard a neck crack when that ghost demon was twisting her head. Weird family though. Brother is a super-perv, just blatantly recording up-skirts as if it was no big deal. I have no clue what's wrong with the shut-in sister.

@MissLucas: "I've got no idea what they're doing in that make-shift lab. Just wishful thinking that it's something to help Dolls. The lady (are we supposed to know her?) doesn't look like she's got a degree in chemistry but maybe I'm just narrow-minded." You nailed it when you said Rosita was cooking up something in the lab to help Dolls.

As far as Melanie Scrofano's hair, yes, it looks great, but I've given up on trying to see if her hair is natural or it has extensions. I think the inability of being able to tell is a 'guy thing'. I keep having to ask the females in my family if a certain actress's hair is real or not and they take a quick look and give me a verdict. I'm clueless when it comes to that.

Anybody know what Wynonna was talking about when she went off on the "fleek" thing? She has a tendency to mutter non sequiturs.

I DID like Nicole's reaction to Wave's cheerleading routine. She was so flustered and breathing heavy, I thought she would start to drool. I appreciated it also. ;-) Waves is, as the Brits say, 'well fit'. 

p.s. Was Mercedes indirectly referring to Dolls when she said Wynonna was so heartbroken "it makes my nose sad!"? Funny expression. I DID like Wynonna's middle finger in her hair gesture to Mercedes when she called over Perry.

p.p.s. I have no Fracking clue where all these "CotW" (Creature of the Week) are going. I hope the writers are building an arc in these episodes and it's not just a "Save Dolls" arc.  

@FurryFury: "The whole trophy case and high school REALLY gave me Buffy vibes. It's like they smashed together the episode about a high school sports team and the episode about a fraternity which summoned a demon."

Yep, it did have that Buffy vibe from the episode with the cheerleader who was body-swapped by her witch mother.

Edited by Jacks-Son
5 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Anybody know what Wynonna was talking about when she went off on the "fleek" thing? She has a tendency to mutter non sequiturs.

Welcome to the club. I have a horrible time understanding Doc, if I'm lucky I get two thirds of what he's saying. Thank God for on-line transcripts. Speaking of - Wynona was rambling this: "Everything on fleek? Fleek city? Super fleek?" She's a tad too old for the whole on fleek thingy especially in an episode where everybody was telling her she's no teenager anymore.

The High School setting definitely gave this episode a Buffy-vibe. Now if Waverley starts to attack Nicole during their next make-out scene we know for sure that Whedon's ghost is haunting the show.

The Tuckers not named Mercedes are super-creepy - were they mentioned in season 1? I can't remember - but it seems odd that this far into the show we never heard of them. Anyway I hope Mercedes survived (though it doesn't look good). And I really liked the interaction between the Sheriff and Nicole - nicely played.

I still have no idea why Doc knows what Dolls needs - he somehow got hold of one of the dosages during season one? And why did Dolls enter the Homestead? That last scene was so abrupt it felt as if something had ended up on the cutting room floor - not for the first time this season.

The lipstick exchange seems to indicate that Waverley is not aware of her mind lodger. Somehow I had assumed she was but if she can't remember getting the lipstick back (and eating it) she obviously isn't but in that case wouldn't she notice that she's got some black-outs? And is she really collecting silver in that last scene? Does that mean Doc's bar got silver cocktail shakers? Kinda fancy.

6 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Speaking of - Wynona was rambling this: "Everything on fleek? Fleek city? Super fleek?" She's a tad too old for the whole on fleek thingy especially in an episode where everybody was telling her she's no teenager anymore.

Okay, I'll post more later, but that whole explanation of the definition and history of the "on fleek" phrase just confused me even more. It sounds like you've heard it before.

While I love this series, it has a bit of an anachronistic conundrum. It seems to portray itself as an old-fashioned Western yet uses modern terminology and speech.  Even the town Purgatory is a weird mix of old and new.  @MissLucas, you are correct. if I didn't know any better, this series is Whedonesque in that it seems to resemble his beloved "Firefly" series.  Demons in Purgatory, are almost lighter and more civilized versions of Whedon's Reavers. Season 1 showed saloons, trailer parks, woods, small-town sheriffs, and old cars (that's fine because I lived in a similar town) but now we have modern high school, Jeeps, very well paved streets, nice houses, and construction zones. It's like the writers haven't settled on their world-building yet. Some people in the town are shocked (even disgusted) that there could be lesbians/bisexuals living in the town, yet teenagers with cell phones can take up-skirt photos, and nobody seems to mind except Nicole and Mercedes, and the Sheriff is more accepting of his deputy being a lesbian. It's weird.  Wynonna herself, Miss "Sex with half the male high school population", originally seemed disturbed by Waverly's relationship with Nicole; and Willa was outright horrified. Gradually, Wynonna has come to accept Nicole as Wave's girlfriend, yet she still seems distrustful of her motives. After seeing her older sister lose herself to a demon, Bobo, she should at least listen and not simply reject Nicole's concerns about her baby sister.

Now, Waverley DOES seems to be possessed and unaware of her "mind lodger" (nicely put, MissLucas), but her turnings are both quick and lengthy. Her Nicole kiss at the school was a quick thing, but her dealings with Dolls was prolonged. I don't remember seeing anything like Waves so far. She's not a demon from Hell, as her eyes don't turn red and she can hold Peacemaker without being burned. So, what the hell is in her and can it safely be exorcised.

I do wish we had an inkling of what Wynonna would have REALLY wished for. Wishing for the curse to be lifted wouldn't save the town, nor would wishing for Dolls to come back. I suppose her wish solved the immediate problem while insuring an ace in the hole with that Djinn.

• Love 1

Post-mortem for this episode. It talks a little bit about Waverly's possession:

Speaking of Waverly, in this episode, we see she doesn’t know when she’s being possessed. How much of that was her feeling confident in her relationship with Nicole or just the actual goo demon being in charge?
I want to make it clear: When we see Waverly acting like Waverly, she is in control. It’s very clear when the demon is in control versus when Waverly is the Waverly we know and love. I don’t want there to be any kind of gray area. I don’t want to take away from the sweetness of the relationship between Nicole and Waverly, but we’ve made it very clear from here when the Tentacle is in charge. But that’s not to say it’s not still scary. It’s pretty much a stone-cold possession, and the problem with possession is, the longer it goes on, the weaker the mortal becomes.

@Cranberry Thanks for that. It was an excellent interview with the showrunner and pretty straightforward and clear. Now we know that Waverly is possessed by a Tentacle, whatever that is. Glad to hear that Wave's cheerleading routine wowed everyone and showed how much hard work Dominique put into the choreography. 

Can't wait to see what happens next. (including Haught's new uniform)

Thanks for the video. It was a two-fold bonus; one, the preview of what's to come in the episode, and two, you get to revisit Waverly's cheerleading routine in the next video. Also, when they interview Katherine Barrell (Nicole Haught), she's wearing the top half of her new sexy uniform. :-D 

I just binged the first season of this show on Netflix, and now that I'm all caught up, can I just say that A. I really dig this show, and B. the theme song is super kick ass. Its basically been running in my head non stop for like three days straight.

Enjoyed the episode a lot, and I also got the Buffy vibes. I totally thought the hockey player on top of the trophy was going to move its eyes at the end. I'm glad it looks like Waverly being possessed is coming to an end soon, or at least that everyone will find out what going on. I like the plot, but its easily one that could get old FAST.

Oh whatever Doc. We know you miss Dolls. Sure your partially saving him for Wynonna, but you totally miss your Dolls related banter. Which will hopefully be back soon! Yea! I'm also hoping that Perry comes back at some point, maybe if they need some financial backing? He seemed like a stand up guy, and was quite easy on the eyes, I got to say!

"We need someone to look out for the non werewolf people in this town." I really like the Sheriff, and I like him as a sort of reluctant ally to the gang. Also, where are the werewolf's? And a mermaid poltergeist?!?! Is the sheriff in a completely different, but also super interesting, show somewhere off screen?

I suppose we hadn't heard of this super rich family of weirdoes because the oldest, least crazy sister has been out of town, the other sister is a shut in, and the youngest is a super nasty perv who I'm sure the Earp girls would avoid at all costs. I hope Mercedes is alright, I like her! It would do Wynonna some good to have a friend to hang with who isn't involved in the demon hunting business.

• Love 1

If Waverly has been possessed by a demented leprechaun that last scene was really well acted.

I'm curious as to how Nedley went about recruiting Nicole because what was she expecting from a tiny town in the middle of nowhere? Sure, demons and BBD seem more interesting than her job now but she didn't know about those before taking up the job.

19 minutes ago, veryborednow said:

I'm curious as to how Nedley went about recruiting Nicole because what was she expecting from a tiny town in the middle of nowhere? Sure, demons and BBD seem more interesting than her job now but she didn't know about those before taking up the job.

I think Nicole is a local girl but I may be wrong. Nedley mentioned something about being top of her class, so I assume the police academy may be in a central location and not in Purgatory. Once she graduated, she may have been approached by Nedley, who convinced her to come back. There's hardly any police presence in the town, so advancement may be quicker. The show hasn't really gone into Haught's background and we don't know much about her before Waves broke up with Champs.

29 minutes ago, veryborednow said:

If Waverly has been possessed by a demented leprechaun that last scene was really well acted.

Where did you get the idea that the Tentacle is a demented leprechaun? Did I miss a reference somewhere?

21 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Where did you get the idea that the Tentacle is a demented leprechaun? Did I miss a reference somewhere?

(was a joke...)

Nedley said the police academy was in the big city, I'm totally projecting - if I were an ambitious cop it would take a lot to get me to take a job in the middle of nowhere. 

11 minutes ago, veryborednow said:

Nedley said the police academy was in the big city, I'm totally projecting - if I were an ambitious cop it would take a lot to get me to take a job in the middle of nowhere. 

Maybe the pay was better than usual for a podunk town. And if the property values are as crappy as Mercedes was saying, the rent is probably pretty cheap.

2 minutes ago, veryborednow said:

(was a joke...)

Oh, okay, I thought I missed something. See, the "middle of nowhere" is confusing to me; as is the general timeframe. I posted about this before. Season 1 made it seem like Purgatory WAS in the middle of nowhere, but in season 2, I'm getting the sense that the town is much larger than originally depicted. We never saw people's homes and construction sites before. Everything took place on either the homestead (Earp farm); the trailer park, where the Revenants stayed, and the Sheriff's Office (mostly Dolls' office and the "Squad Room" and/or Nedley's office). This season, we've been shown a much larger town. The Gardner's home, the Community Center, the High School, the BBD's headquarters & the construction site, which are all new scenery.

Also, the timeframe seems different. The first season made the timeframe seem closer to the Wild West, now, it's a bit more modern. If you watch the YouTube interview above, Melanie Scrofano wishes that they would show Madams, like you would find in that time period. Well, what IS the time period? It's a bit of a jumble and the show isn't doing enough to define the "World of Purgatory".

5 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Also, the timeframe seems different.

I don't think so - the first episode has Wynonna on a bus, using a cell phone.  She drives a motorcycle, there are cars, etc.  (unless I'm misunderstanding your comment).  The Earp sisters know that Doc was dead for hundreds of years and returned.  So we are in present day but this is a fairly small town with old time sensibilities.

The question about how Nicole came to Purgatory is a good one.  I think I read somewhere we find out more about her this season, some background would be nice.

The "I want you to take over for me" conversation makes me think the sheriff won't be around for long, which is too bad if so, I like him and his casual acceptance of the insanity.

So if Nicole is ditching the khakis (they're a classic! LOL) what will she wear?  Jeans? 

(edited)
1 hour ago, raven said:

I don't think so - the first episode has Wynonna on a bus, using a cell phone.  She drives a motorcycle, there are cars, etc.  (unless I'm misunderstanding your comment).  The Earp sisters know that Doc was dead for hundreds of years and returned.  So we are in present day but this is a fairly small town with old time sensibilities.

I had forgotten how Wynonna arrived in town, but my point is that while there are cars, buses, cell phones, and motorcycles, the feel of the show is very Wild West. I don't know how else to explain it and Melanie Scrofano's comment about "Madams" in the time period (in the interview video above) makes me think of saloons and bedrooms upstairs where clients are "entertained". Yet I know that the real time period is very much current, maybe not "current" current, but near enough. Perhaps what's throwing me off is that Doc is surely living out of his timeframe.

As far as Nicole's new uniform, if you go to the thread titled "She Ain't Right" and watch the video at the top of the thread, adjacent to that video is another video showing an interview with the actress playing Nicole.  It's an on-set interview with Katherine Barrell (Nicole Haught) and in it, she's wearing her new uniform, though you can only see the top half. It's a V-Neck Sheriff's Department top and very stylish. I don't know what she's wearing below, though I presume it's pants but I doubt it's Jeans.

Edited by Jacks-Son

If you want to know more about Nicole, you can read her journal (it's canon): http://theroadtopurgatory.tumblr.com/

Password is her license plate number. S3J-A0E

Purgatory sounds like a place you’re going to get stuck and believe me, I get the irony and all that. But no matter what it’s called, to me, this place is going to be a fresh start. A chance to get back to what really matters in life, like actually being part of a community and maybe being able to see the stars at night without all the city lights washing them away. 

So far, despite the history around here of famous gunslinger Wyatt Earp, my days haven’t been exactly full of gun fights or anything. Which actually suits me fine, at least as long as I’m getting used to how things work around here. I guess the change of pace is just… slower. Part of the reason I took this job was to be part of a smaller department, to get to know people around town and to really make a difference. And I honestly believe that is happening, just maybe not as quickly as I had expected.

4 hours ago, Cranberry said:

If you want to know more about Nicole, you can read her journal (it's canon): http://theroadtopurgatory.tumblr.com/

Password is her license plate number. S3J-A0E

Thanks! I didn't know that existed.

I like how they released those photos of Nicole in her new uniform before the season started and I just automatically assumed it was a BBD uniform and not that it was a changed standard police uniform. 

9 minutes ago, veryborednow said:

I like how they released those photos of Nicole in her new uniform before the season started and I just automatically assumed it was a BBD uniform and not that it was a changed standard police uniform. 

The first photo I got when I did a Google Image search on "Katherine Barrell's New Purgatory Uniform" and amongst the images I found it. The second photo was obtained from Nicole Haught's page in the 'Wynonna Earp Wikia' Fandom site @ http://wynonnaearp.wikia.com/wiki/Nicole_Haught

I always thought Purgatory was a modern town, albeit a small one kind of stuck in the past. It was just that last season was all about chasing Bobo and his lackies, so it was mostly set in the trailer park outside of town, the farms where revanants hid out, and the creepy woods. Places creepy monsters hang. This season has no Bobo and his lackies are dead or laying low, so now Wynonna and company are fighting new creatures that aren't hiding out so much, so they (and we) get to see the more modern parts of the town. It definitely still has an Old West vibe, but the town itself seems pretty 21st century. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I always thought Purgatory was a modern town, albeit a small one kind of stuck in the past. It was just that last season was all about chasing Bobo and his lackies, so it was mostly set in the trailer park outside of town, the farms where revanants hid out, and the creepy woods. Places creepy monsters hang. This season has no Bobo and his lackies are dead or laying low, so now Wynonna and company are fighting new creatures that aren't hiding out so much, so they (and we) get to see the more modern parts of the town. It definitely still has an Old West vibe, but the town itself seems pretty 21st century. 

Did they talk about the triangle last season? If so, does anyone know what area it covers? I hope they provide more info on the BBD.

If I remember right, they did talk about the triangle (the revenants were all scared of leaving it because they would suffer horribly), but I don't remember the actual area it covers. I figured it was most of Purgatory and its surrounding county, but I don't know about actual coordinates. It would certainly be nice to know, hopefully we get more now that we are seeing more of the town.

22 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

If you watch the YouTube interview above, Melanie Scrofano wishes that they would show Madams, like you would find in that time period. Well, what IS the time period? It's a bit of a jumble and the show isn't doing enough to define the "World of Purgatory".

She made that remark while answering the question if there were any historical figures she'd like to meet in the show. So I guess she meant ghost-Madams from the past.

3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

She made that remark while answering the question if there were any historical figures she'd like to meet in the show. So I guess she meant ghost-Madams from the past.

She should be careful of what she wishes for. Although, ghost-Madams would be a hoot. Since the Madams have all the juicy information (please, hold back your giggles), Wynonna, Waverly, Nicole, and most especially Doc, could use some CI's (Confidential Informants) to help. Since the Revenants are in hiding, they need help finding all these new demons, that is, if Waverly doesn't scare them all away, or eat them. :-)

• Love 1