Type keyword(s) to search

Wynonna Earp - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Official Synopsis:

“Wynonna Earp,” a new series based on the IDW comic created by Beau Smith, debuts on Friday, April 1 at 10PM (ET/PT) on Syfy. The 13-episode action-packed first season stars Melanie Scrofano (“Gangland”), Tim Rozon (“Being Human”), Shamier Anderson (“Defiance”) and Dominique Provost-Chalkley (“Avengers: Age of Ultron”).

“Wynonna Earp” follows the life of the great, great granddaughter (Scrofano) of famous lawman Wyatt Earp. After a troubled adolescence following the death of her father and the disappearance of her older sister Willa, Wynonna has inherited Wyatt’s mythic abilities and his famous gun – a Colt .45 pistol with a 12-inch barrel – along with his legendary old West enemies: revenant demons. 

Now, as a special agent in the Black Badge Division (a top secret sector of the U.S. Marshals), and with the help of younger sister Waverly (Provost-Chalkley), boss Agent Xavier Dolls (Anderson) and notorious gunslinger Doc Holliday (Rozon), Wynonna is determined to find out what really happened to Willa, and put an end to the Earp curse once and for all.

30-Second Trailer:

Behind-the-Scenes Preview:

"Wynonna Being Wynonna" Sneak Peek:

HitFix: 'Wynonna Earp' showrunner pitched the series as 'Frozen' meets 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' - A good yet short interview with the showrunner, Emily Andras.

Also, here's the first five pages from the original comics, via The Hollywood Reporter.

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's first season. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Premieres Friday, April 1, 2016

Wyatt Earp's great granddaughter celebrates her 27th birthday by reluctantly returning to  her hometown to take on her family's legendary curse in the premiere of this supernatural series based on the IDW Publishing comic created by Beau Smith.

Good heavens, am I the only one watching this?  I thought it was ok.   Writing was a little clunky, and the actress playing Wynonna was just ok.  I'm not really sure what the curse is supposed to be - that when the heir turns 27, he or she can use the gun to send the demons back to hell?  That doesn't seem like a curse to me, more like an ability.  I did like that there was humor, because I like shows that are violent (and this wasn't all that much, although Carl may disagree) but have humor to lighten the mood.  I'll keep watching, at least for a while.

(edited)

That was my thought, too -- just okay. Seems more like a CW show, though.

I liked it enough to watch and see what develops, but could be that the creators are trying to capitalize on too many pop cult themes at once -- strong female lead, supernatural Western, demon slayer, family secrets.

Also, she lives in Purgatory? Really? (There is a real town in Maine with that name, but I'm not letting that stop my mocking.)

I missed it if this was covered during the show, but here's a bit of explanation I found online, from the comic books I guess:

When an heir to Earp's legacy turns 27, they acquire his skills, but every one of the 77 outlaws that died at Earp's hand resurrects as undead hellspawn known as revenants. It's the heir's job to use Wyatt's trusted Peacemaker revolver to systematically send revenants back to hell.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

I didn't expect to like this series as much as I did - it's still campy fun, but it's fun nevertheless.

The main character is nicely cynical, which is always a plus in my books. The sister dynamics is well done.

I only have a problem with hill-billy vampires / the Revenants. I don't yet understand their menacing powers - are they imprisoned in the Purgatory town, what is the legend exactly, why the Earp family... etc. But I'm hoping everything will be explained soon.

Plus, I'm intrigued by Doc Holiday. Much more than by Bobo.

Did anyone notice if the sister who had been killed was the eldest or was Wynona the eldest. I keep womdering if the sister will return as a demon.

Wynona was the middle sister, Willa was the oldest and the heir - but then she was "killed". I'm also waiting for her to appear, preferably as a vessel to the demonic woman who turned Doc Holiday into an undead gunslinger.

If the revenants are imprisoned in the town, why does anyone elsewhere (or the feds) care?  Although, I guess there is some way for them to leave.

I liked the second episode much more than the first, although there was still a lot of exposition.  I've finally realized that I really like violence + humor, especially when the violence is non-realistic.  I love Wynonna's snark, dislike her sister's failure to understand that there are situations that are urgent (ie, digging up the talisman only after wisecracks).  I kind of feel that the sister is a "plot induced stupidity" kind of device, if that makes any sense.

I like BoBo a LOT more since he took off his fur clock. 

Wynona was the middle sister, Willa was the oldest and the heir - but then she was "killed". I'm also waiting for her to appear, preferably as a vessel to the demonic woman who turned Doc Holiday into an undead gunslinger.

It's such an old trope I wish that she wouldn't, but I agree she is coming back in some capacity.

Where exactly is Purgatory supposed to be? The Sheriff mentioned contacting both Ottawa and Washington, and last week Wynonna said that US Marshalls "don't have jurisdiction up here". That would suggest that it is in or close to Canada and probably on a First People/Native American Reservation, but Wyatt Earp doesn't seem to have much connection with that area. He was briefly in Deadwood, South Dakota, and had a seemly uneventful tenure as Deputy Sheriff in Northern Idaho. Also, it close enough to a big city to have club full of good looking 20 somethings.

Overall I'm not completely sold on the show, but Syfy has been putting out some, in my opinion, good shows lately (The Expanse, Killjoys, 12 Monkeys, even Dark Matter and The Magicians grew on me), so I'll give it a little more time.

• Love 2

Thanks. That does raise questions though. If she is dead why would they be back before her 27th birthday (isn't that what triggers the return of the dead?). And if she isn't dead then why does Wynona matter?

I keep womdering if the sister will return as a demon.

This is a TV show, she was dragged out a window and there was no body, so I fully expect her to return. Although if everyone killed by the gun returns, and Wynonna shot her father with it by accident, I expect HIM to return as a demon even more.

Actress, hair, costuming - Wynonna couldn't look more like Jessica Jones if she tried. That's sort of a weird choice, it took me out of the show and had me asking "how would Kristen Ritter deliver that line" again and again.

Totally shipping Waverly and Officer Hot, just because of the name.

That was Doc Holliday? I was supposed to pick up that that was Doc Holliday? Boy, I missed that. Maybe cheap bourbon was not the right drink pairing for this show.

• Love 2

There's a Purgatory in Colorado, although I thought the Earps were in Arizona.  I watched the first episode, which might as well have been 7 hours long.  Maybe I'll try one more, since people seem to think the second one is better.

Since the Hunters got such disastrous reviews I decided to give this one a try instead. Pilot was a bit wobbly but things improved with the second episode. The whole myth surrounding the gun starts to make a bit more sense while a couple of new mysteries have been set up. I really want to know more about Dolls and his job for one thing. Obviously the fact that Doc Holiday is still around is intriguing as well - as is his agenda.

The show's saving grace for me is that there's plenty of humor and that I really buy Wynonna and Waverly as sisters. And I love that they made Waverly a black badge consultant. Now show, don't pull a Sleepy Hollow on me. 

• Love 3
That was Doc Holliday? I was supposed to pick up that that was Doc Holliday? Boy, I missed that. Maybe cheap bourbon was not the right drink pairing for this show.

The show was dropping hints in the first few episodes, but as someone who is not a fan of westerns (or history), even the clues didn't help me, ha!  There's the fact that his name is Henry and Doc Holliday's real name was John Henry "Doc" Holliday (thank you, Google).  I think Henry also mentioned that he was Wyatt Earp's right hand man, but again, that wasn't much help to me.

Black Badge Division guy is the weak link for me, and I would like to get rid of Bobo as well (completely random, but that actor has always reminded me of the lead singer of Korn).  I like everyone else well enough, though.  Waverly is adorable, and I totally ship Wynonna and Henry, even if I'm not sure if the guy is supposed to be good or bad.  

Edited by SonofaBiscuit

I actually love Dolls - especially his reactions whenever Officer Haught is flirting with Waverly. And I'm really appreciating the humor this show brings:

Wynonna: I want them to tremble with fear before me.
Dolls: You got powdered sugar on your nose.

Wynonna to Dolls: Sometimes, you come so close to cool, and - then cool makes a run for it.

The thing that threw me off about Doc Holliday's identity is that just when I thought I GOT IT!, they showed that old photo of him in Waverly's collection.  How is it that Waverly, lover and keeper of all things Wyatt Earp, historian extraordinaire, didn't show the slightest bit of recognition of Holliday?  She didn't even misidentify him ("Don't I know you from somewhere? Weren't you part of that traveling circus a couple of years ago?").

Yeah, that was a bit of bad writing. I thought Waverly must have a horrible visual memory when I realized that she had a photo of Doc Holiday in her files. They should at least have given her some lines about how he looked familiar. Come to think of it - Doc Holiday could have anticipated that one of the local historians (the place must have more than one) would recognize him sooner or later. I mean there's a pic of the 'real' Doc Holiday on Wikipedia. Why not pose as a descendant with a slight history fetish that causes him to dress and style himself in a manner to emphasize the family likeness? And have the revenants mock him for the pretense because they know the truth?

If the revenants are imprisoned in the town, why does anyone elsewhere (or the feds) care?  Although, I guess there is some way for them to leave.

Because that is what governments do, they can't write off a portion of their population. It would be a political decision not to send everybody since I supposes a regular SWAT team couldn't deal with the demons. I did notice her Special Deputy's badge had the Canadian flag above the US flag. Given the crack about the Deputy's jurisdiction I guess Purgatory sits on the Canadian side of the border.

The government also didn't know that the revenants couldn't leave. In the pilot Dolls mentioned something about the revenants leaving and Wynonna had to tell him that they couldn't leave.

I think Val Kilmer's Tombstone performance is now the standard template for Doc depictions and I saw the homage right away even if he seems to be the healthiest Revenant

• Love 1

The show is weak on many levels, but man, I am HERE for Doc Holiday! He is serving Val Kilmer while looking like the love child of Jaime Lannister and Seth Bullock. I will watch this show for as long as it airs with him in it. I wish the rest of the characters and acting was as solid.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 5

I just caught up on this show and I'm enjoying it so far. It's not perfect - I mean why do the demons just stand there and wait for Wynona to shoot them after she points the gun at them? It felt especially blatant in this last episode. She points the gun and the bad guy just stands there while she says her line before pulling the trigger.

I'll forgive silly inconsistencies like that for a good character stuff, though. I really like the sisters relationship and I'm intrigued to know more about Holliday. Not super into Deputy Marshal Dour though.

Just caught up, the 1st episode was a bit weak, but it has picked u.

1) I love Doc Holliday. he's the best part of the show right now.

2) Afree the 1st episode, I wasn't sold on the actress that plays Wynonna, but shes really settled in, and I buy her as the lead now. She's got good comedic timing and believable chemistry with Doc and Waverly

3) I like dolls when he shows glimances of personality, like he did in the last episode

Lots of intriguing stuff. I want to know why Dolls managed to identify Doc Holiday so fast - maybe his visual memory is better than Waverly's. And I want to know what happened in Kandahar and who was talking to Dolls through the mirror.

Doc Holiday wasn't kidding about his ability to read people. He zoomed right into the weak spots of Dolls and Waverly and since the last one was important to the over-all plot (and I guess the former will become important further down the line): well played show.

Less well played: the mechanics behind mirror-slasher. He was getting killed (by Holiday) because Earp forced him to testify  but he was not a criminal. So why was he turned into a revenant? Also Wynonna reasoning why Augie had to hide in a body of water made little to no sense.

The overall mysteries (Dolls' background - why Earp got his line cursed - what happened to Holiday after 'he got better') make up for a rather weak ROTW. But I missed Officer Haught!

Lots of Doc Holliday in this one, which is just A+ in my book.  I was reading an interview with Tim Rozon, who plays Doc (which I just posted over in the media thread), and he talks about having eternal life and being trapped in that well where Wynonna went to dig up the gun:

He was stuck, living forever by himself. He can't die of starvation or dehydration, so it was torture. Then along comes Wynonna Earp looking for the Peacemaker, the only weapon that can kill the Revenants, and to cure her own curse. While she looks for the Peacemaker, well, guess who else she also digs up out of the well?

Did that happen in the first episode?  I had been wondering where Doc had been living prior to Wynonna coming back to Purgatory...in the well, apparently.  I guess I need to go back and watch that episode again (there's a marathon late Saturday April 30th into Sunday, by the way).  

Still don't care much about Dolls.  His story has the potential to be interesting, but I don't get much from the actor.  He needs more personality, I think.  Doc is mysterious and charismatic, Waverly is adorable and perky, Wynonna is snarky, and Dolls is...just kind of bland.

Lots of Doc Holliday in this one, which is just A+ in my book.  I was reading an interview with Tim Rozon, who plays Doc (which I just posted over in the media thread), and he talks about having eternal life and being trapped in that well where Wynonna went to dig up the gun:

Did that happen in the first episode?  I had been wondering where Doc had been living prior to Wynonna coming back to Purgatory...in the well, apparently.  I guess I need to go back and watch that episode again (there's a marathon late Saturday April 30th into Sunday, by the way).  

Yes it happened in the first episode - right after Wynonna got Peacemaker out of the well & left - you see Doc's hand coming out of the well (you know it's Doc's hand because they show the ring he wears)

I do really love this show - I like Wynonna & Waverly but absolutely love Doc (he reminds me so much of Timothy Olyphant in Deadwood)

• Love 2

I do really love this show - I like Wynonna & Waverly but absolutely love Doc (he reminds me so much of Timothy Olyphant in Deadwood)

He! I always thought his speech mannerisms reminiscent of Justified's Boyd Crowder.

I saw someone crawling out of the well but thought it had been another revenant. So it was Doc Holiday? Interesting.

I'm enjoying this show so far, but only for the characters and their banter. I can already tell that it's going to be just like Lost Girl (which Emily Andras also produced); it'll start out making a little bit of sense but eventually turn incomprehensible. We're already seeing way too many different powers among the revenants.

• Love 2

So this episode stated that Purgatory is 2696 miles from Puerto Vallarta, so it is definitely on or very close to the Canadian Border. Also, it wasn't until the scene where she is running after Wynonna's truck and passes Doc Holiday that I noticed that the actress who plays Waverly has some really nice abs.

Edited by ZoqFotPik

I feel like I might be in the minority here, but the actress playing Waverly really sets my teeth on edge.

I'll join you there.  Not sure what it is, but she bugs.  I'm glad she has more to do than be perky kid sister, and she and Wynonna do work well together at least. 

OK, I've watched all the eps but not very closely so I probably missed something -  why don't the revenants just shoot Wynonna when she and Dolls stroll into their camp?  Aren't they evil and all, what do they care?  Or should I just not try to make sense of it, heh. 

Anyway, fun show. 

Did the Earp-Holiday sex just kill this thread? That was the first major misstep of the show for me. Not for shipping reasons but because it seemed to come out of nowhere at that particular moment. Wynonna has a self-destructive streak though I guess it wasn't OOC but it detracted from everything else going on - the episode's main theme that revenge is not enough and that breaking the curse might be more important, the arrival of a new player and her odd relationship wit Doc Holiday and the corrupt judge.

I knew that the kiss was coming because I saw it in a few of the previews, and then I knew it would be this week because I saw the shirt that Doc was wearing.  Yeah, that was odd timing.  I figured it would probably happen towards the end of the season...give Wynonna's and Doc's feelings a chance to develop a bit.  When you're trapped in a well for one hundred years, I guess you just don't want to waste time.

Dolls working out shirtless in his office(?) was...bizarre.  I guess they just wanted an excuse for Wynonna to see him without a shirt?  Whatever.  I hope we're not getting a Dolls/Wynonna/Holliday love triangle.  Do not want.  

I'm not complaining about the Dolls' workout scene (that was an odd variation of push-ups btw) *cough* I also liked his protectiveness of Wynonna whenever judge scumbag dissed her and the little smile on his face after he had let her pass in the hallway.

That said - please no love-triangle! And whatever romantic relationship they want to establish needs more time and breathing space to work. But Earp/Holiday might be more of a hate-sex thing than romance anyway.

I wouldn't mind if the heat was broken so Dolls had his shirt off most of the time :D  ITA on NO to a love triangle.  I don't see it though; I don't think Wynonna is falling for either of them; the sex with Doc was kinda out of left field but I chalked it up to her emotional state, putting that nice guy revenant out of his misery and all that. I get kind of a paternal vibe from Dolls to Wynonna and I wonder about his supernatural background.   It's way too soon in the show for a big love story for Wynonna, though Waverly and Officer Haught had a lot of chemistry.  I'd rather see more sisterly stuff, that works I think, more family background.  I did like that she's thinking now that revenants were people too and maybe not all bad.

• Love 1

Nice of the writers to give something more to Dolls... wonder what the hell is this "drug"; if it's even one and not a camouflage stuff, and if there's more to his "true nature" than meets the eyes.

(edited)

Great little sparring session at the beginning it was fierce and surprisingly platonic - most shows would not have been able to resist to throw in some UST. Instead they just keep throwing more mysteries at us and I love it. I did not expect the twist with Dolls. I had thought whatever bad thing happened to him in Kandahar was just a big trauma with the usual PTSD added for good measure but judging from the way his iris turned at the end there's definitely more than meets the eye going on. And suddenly the BBD looks a lot shadier than it did before (though the nuking of a town might have been an indicator of that already).

I loved the Blacksmith and hope we'll get to see more of her. Although I was distracted by the fact that I couldn't remember where I've seen her before. That's Rachael Ancheril - Marlo Cruz from Rookie Blue. Since Wynonna and Dolls have established a pretty good relationship without romantic shenanigans (I approve) I think the Blacksmith could hook up with Dolls. And talking of romance: as Waverly's now connected to the Stone Witch's son  she'll need some protection. Officer Haught to the rescue! (Waverly did dump dumb boyfriend, right?) It took me a while to figure out that the skull belonged to one of the two 'boys' Bobo assembled for her.

And we still don't know what exactly Doc Holiday is and what's his beef with the Stone Witch. Could he be the 'boys' father? So all in all - great episode (even the Revenants were interesting).

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Great little sparring session at the beginning it was fierce and surprisingly platonic - most shows would not have been able to resist to throw in some UST. Instead they just keep throwing more mysteries at us and I love it. I did not expect the twist with Dolls. I had thought whatever bad thing happened to him in Kandahar was just a big trauma with the usual PTSD added for good measure but judging from the way his iris turned at the end there's definitely more than meets the eye going on. And suddenly the BBD looks a lot shadier than it did before (though the nuking of a town might have been an indicator of that already).

ha ha, I saw what you did there!

I have to admit, I immediately thought of V, the tv sho

Tim Rozon is a good looking man but that Doc Holiday 'stash creeps me out.

I liked this one too - creepy revenants, a bit more Dolls information - could he be revenant taking some kind of suppression med? Maybe Dolls will be the last revenant in the picture, the one whose face we can't see.   I actually liked Waverly this time as she dumps the boy/man and gets a story of her own. 

15 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Great little sparring session at the beginning it was fierce and surprisingly platonic - most shows would not have been able to resist to throw in some UST

I liked it too, then at the end of the ep the writers had to thrown in Doc telling Dolls that he was "competition".  Just say no.  Yet Wynonna wasn't wanting another roll with Doc so maybe that can be put to rest.  Dolls can be Giles in this show, ok? 

16 hours ago, MissLucas said:

It took me a while to figure out that the skull belonged to one of the two 'boys' Bobo assembled for her.

Well I didn't get this until you just said it, hee.  This show if fun but I don't pay the closest attention, though I know Wynonna can munch down a donut that I would gain 5 lbs from just by looking at it. 

• Love 1

Well, they sure burned through a lot of plot in one episode. And they killed the Blacksmith, damn. Officer Haught better be okay tough that last shot of her patrol car doesn't bode well. Poor Waverly's attempts to bond were not working out, surprise. Although the Sheriff's daughter was actually a nice surprise. I wonder how the show is going to deal with the aftermath of all those killings.

Is Dolls about to sell out Doc Holliday? I thought he must be the 'not yet documented' case.

And just when I thought all the Revenant-hunting was about to get a bit stale the folks at Black Shield start to talk about demons (have we ever heard about demons before on the show?) and the Stone Witch mentions evil worse than Revenant. Looks like good times ahead - or whatever counts on that show for good times.

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm surprised that the Blacksmith got killed off so soon.  I thought she might become a love interest for Waverly. And, I wonder if they'll actually follow up on the death, e.g. by perhaps the Blacksmith leaving all of her (supernatural) stuff to Waverly or Wynonna.

I also think that Dolls mentioned Doc as the not-yet-documented case.

• Love 1

I think Officer Haught has (had? *gulp*) her eyes on Waverly. The speed at which they're burning through plot-lines and characters makes me anxious. Are they afraid they're only getting one season?

Regarding the skeletons and the skull, I'm wondering if there's a good plot reason why the skull wasn't destroyed -- ground down, dissolved in lye, whatever -- and the remains dumped into the ocean or something.

• Love 1

Wow did they have to make the now-dead-bride-to-be so nasty just to drive home the point that Waverly was considered the odd one? 

Though a lot happened, I really liked this one.  I actually didn't mind Waverly (she annoys sometimes); I liked that she is trying to have a different kind of life even if that didn't go so well.  The stripping ?lackey? was funny.  The actress playing the witch is not very good though.

I liked Wynonna bonding with Officer Haught (though drinking on the job?) and I liked kind of creepy morgue guy.  Hope he doesn't turn out to be evil, if not he can pop up now and again, sneaking up on people. 

Dolls is totally going to sell out Doc Holliday.

I hate to say it, but I think I'm losing interest in this show.  I really like Wynonna, and only find it interesting when she is on screen.  Sorry, don't at all care about or for Waverly, am tired of Doc H., and find Dolls boring. 

In tonght's episode, was the serial killer/revennanT Jeremy Danvers from Bitten?   The opened up girl was pretty creepy.