Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E01: Ticking Bomb

• Start Topic

An adrenaline packed new season brings a new face, 23 year old Sean Dwyer, who is fighting for the legacy of his father he lost too soon. The Time Bandit squares off with the law, Captain Keith's life spirals and Sig torments his former protege.

New season starts Tuesday!  The hubs and I never miss an episode.  We're watching the captain's view marathon right now and enjoying watching the crews at work.  Here's hoping for more fishing and less melodrama this season.  There's been too much Josh and Elliot angst the last couple of seasons and not enough pot pulling and ice breaking.  But either way, we're hooked.  :)

• Love 9

Wow, poor Keith.   He finally pulls himself out of debt and his wife leaves him.    

I see Elliott lost the boat.   Quelle surprise.    Without being able to fish, and/or the disco money, he couldn't make the payments.  Loved Jake exorcising the bad juju.  And maybe Josh should have fished baridi last year and made some more money.   Because he is little more than a hired hand now.   He pulls his usual "I'm Phil's son, I can just sit here and smoke and listen to music while everyone else works" act, he is gone, baby, gone.

You know why the Northwestern always comes through?   Because they don't have a new crew every damn year.   They have a pretty stable deck and it shows.  As long as Wild Bill has new hands every year he is going to have trouble every year.   And the less said about the Wizard's greenhorns the better.   

The Breanna A has the saddest story.   ALS sucks.   I wish him all the best.   He seems a steady sort of guy.   So, hopefully we won't get drama from him except for "will he find crab or not."

• Love 9

There wasn't too much drama this episode.

-I feel so bad for Keith; was it the wife's idea for a divorce? Because that was how they seemed to frame it. I wonder if Monty let him captain the boat when they first started, because I sure wouldn't. Too bad about the fuel/oil problem too.

-Johnathan was lucky. He sounded like a lil' kid who got caught eating the last cookie.

-Josh continues to do nothing but sit. We'll see how their plan works with double-lacing Sig.

-oh, Jake. Jake, Jake, Jake. Still an emotional wreck, as always. I'm not gonna lie, I laughed so hard when they cut from Sig saying Jake was probably busy crying to, well, Jake on the verge of bursting into tears.

-oh, Sig, you should focus on finding crab rather than messing with Jake. I can't help it but I still enjoy Sig's and Jake's crazy relationship. Those two.

-and wild Bill snaps as usual. Tsk tsk about that greenhorn supposedly lying about his credentials. He really did seem like he lacked those seven yrs of experience.

-so far I like the new captain. Sean already seems like he's a lot more put together than Josh and Jake. I hope he does well.

I think that's everything.

• Love 7

First post here. Big fan of the show. Elliot posted on his Facebook recently that Jake isn't the real captain of the Saga. The Saga has a real captain which the Tv will never show and Jake just acts like the captain for Tv.

• Love 2

Man, watching Keith like that was tough.  First him talking about the divorce and how he is basically own his own again.  And seeing him drinking away his sorrows in the bar.  I also think Monte probably should be captaining, since it looks like Keith's head isn't completely focused on fishing.

Poor Wild Bill.  Seems like every time things start going his way, he either has a mechanical issue crop up, or crew problems.  Or both.  ;)

Not saying anything new here, but I still think Casey should captain the CM and that Josh should just take a back seat as an "owner".  I still think Josh is in it just to be on people's TV screens.

I like the new captain too.  Though they don't have to keep saying, "Hey, look, he's 23 years old!" every two seconds.  Feel bad about his dad though.  ALS truly, truly sucks.  There was a neighbor who came down with it.  It was just so tough on both that person and his caregiver.  Just a horrible, horrible disease that should be wiped off the face of this planet.  Hopefully some day soon it will happen.

• Love 7

First post here. Big fan of the show. Elliot posted on his Facebook recently that Jake isn't the real captain of the Saga. The Saga has a real captain which the Tv will never show and Jake just acts like the captain for Tv.

I lost any respect I had for Elliott watching his meltdown on air. I haven't read his first Facebook posts, but what you're saying sounds like typical dope fiend speak. He has zero credibility with me.

OTOH, I have to remember this is the Discovery Channel, home of that true to life story, The Alaskan Bush People, so Elliott could be a deacon of his church who has never smoked a cigarette, much less used illegal drugs of any kind.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 7

So, Sig...your V/O (voice over) as DC was showing how you came to settle on Sean as a lessee was among the all-time most telling.  You friggin' hypocrite.  "If you get any chance to be a captain, you TAKE IT!" (emphasis original).   So...in the last two years, as Jake was going crazy trying to know what to do, where was this bromide?  So forcefully spoken!!!  Instead, we got passive-aggressive bull from you about loyalty.   Then, you decide to mess with him with the corking maneuver, and then you get mad when he has the gumption to do to you what you did to him.  Eat it.

Was that fool on the Cape the greenhorn, or full crew?  I am pretty sure he was hired in as a full share guy, due to allll his stated experience.   Whatever the case, it's a nice lesson for Bill's son as to the lying/cheating that goes on all around the fisheries.  If your mama says she loves you?  Check it out!

Wouldn't it have been nice if Keith (and soooooo many spouses, generally) would recognize what is being lost when priorities other than family are made...BEFORE it is too late?  Of course, knowingly marrying into a fisherman's life has to be a yooooooge clue that you are going to come in 2nd a LOT.  Tragic.

If this is what fishing and quotas are like when we have "climate change,"  give me more, more, more! 

• Love 9

I too feel for Keith, but as I watched Monte go drag him out of the bar I couldn't help but think of Freddy. Who was it who said that no one is bigger than the boat tonight on The Bait?

In all fairness, Keith wasn't blowing off work to party. I haven't always been a Keith fan but tonight his pain was something that seemed to just bleed from him. I hope that working the crab and being forced to concentrate on the job will help him. Seems like he will do better keeping busy than having time to brood. 

I wouldn't believe anything Elliot said without proof. Plus it was said he got his shares of the boat bought out and was basically fired - so how would he know? 

• Love 7

Wouldn't it have been nice if Keith (and soooooo many spouses, generally) would recognize what is being lost when priorities other than family are made...BEFORE it is too late?  Of course, knowingly marrying into a fisherman's life has to be a yooooooge clue that you are going to come in 2nd a LOT.  Tragic.

It's like marrying someone in the military, or a doctor, or policeman or something similar. You know what you're getting into so if you cannot deal with the schedule, don't marry them. I don't think it makes people bad spouses to concentrate on the job they have and value to take care of their families. 

The obvious solution is for Sig to find him a nice Norwegian woman from a fishing family!

• Love 4

One more thing I forgot to add....First of all, I generally like Sig and I hope he is completely healthy and doing well these days.

But...I thought it was kind of a dick move on his part to go over to Jake's vessel and start messing with him in front of some of Jake's own crew.  Yeah, a little bit of jawing back and forth and good-natured ribbing is fine.  But I sure didn't like it when he went over there and told that crewman to keep lowering Jake into the cold water.

Oh, and I also wouldn't believe anything Elliot says without a whole lot of "Citations Needed"!  :)

• Love 12

This could be true as there is not much reality in reality shows but coming from Elliot it just sounds like sour grapes.

Pretty good show, overall.

• Love 7

One more thing I forgot to add....First of all, I generally like Sig and I hope he is completely healthy and doing well these days.

But...I thought it was kind of a dick move on his part to go over to Jake's vessel and start messing with him in front of some of Jake's own crew.  Yeah, a little bit of jawing back and forth and good-natured ribbing is fine.  But I sure didn't like it when he went over there and told that crewman to keep lowering Jake into the cold water.

Oh, and I also wouldn't believe anything Elliot says without a whole lot of "Citations NeededSig 

Sig had one goal with both this and the way the lines were being laid...."if you are the captain....act like the captain"    A captain of the boat does not do the greenhorn jobs which painting the boat includes and he doesn't give away his fishing information over an open radio.  I like Jake but man he can be annoying with all his whining.  First thing he does when he finally gets to the fishing grounds is call someone looking for help.  Jake will never truly succeed as a captain until he grows up and acts his age.

I feel for Keith but I wonder if his personal issues interferred with getting the boat properly ready for the season.   

Jon..Jon..Jon...He did the right thing by confessing immediatly..don't really know if it was truly accidently though.  I get the feeling Jon especially skirts those rules when he can.  This time he got caught.

Always drama with Wild Bill...looks like his kid has the same lousy ability in hiring as Dad does.

So far I like the new kid....kind of the anti-Josh

• Love 2

has Cookie Monster returned to the Time Bandit, or am i confusing people? The one with the skateboard. I know they showed flashbacks of him and considering that the dude brought a skateboard on deck I'm gonna say yes, that's him. People were busy talking so I missed what they said.

has Cookie Monster returned to the Time Bandit, or am i confusing people? The one with the skateboard. I know they showed flashbacks of him and considering that the dude brought a skateboard on deck I'm gonna say yes, that's him. People were busy talking so I missed what they said.

That was Phillip, Neal's son, who returned. He's the one Cookie Monster was first bullying who got his hand smashed.

• Love 2

That was Phillip, Neal's son, who returned. He's the one Cookie Monster was first bullying who got his hand smashed.

Ah, thank you. Phillip managed to borrow some of Cookie Monster's craziness though. Who brings a skateboard onto a fishing vessel?????? Are we sure Cookie Monster didn't find a way to swap brains with Phillip???

And @ the Frenchman and his CAT lost at sea...Like, I'm not even gonna try wrapping my head around that one. Just...of course there would be a frenchman and his cat lost at sea.

• Love 1

So the whole scenario with Time Bandit ( what an appropriate name) being unable to keep track of the time, does anyone else feel that it was alll fake and done to provide some drama for the show?

How does not only the skipper not know the correct time, but the entire crew, who on the other ships all seemed keenly aware of the time before they can legally fish, all be so unaware? Also, don't these ships use GPS and satellites which also display the correct time? The whole thing stunk like a rotten herring to me.

• Love 2

So we lose Elliot and gain a 23 year old (yes, was mentioned way too much) kid who seems to be really nice and have his head on straight...did DC get new producers or something?

So damn glad we are hopefully done with the Elliot redemption story. Addicts can recover, but you have to lose your ego first and I just don't ever see that happening with him. The comment about Jake not being a real captain shows that not much has changed with him. Whether Jake is or isn't, why say it?

And poor Keith. I can't even imagine starting over after TWENTY FIVE YEARS! I have been with my wife for 15 and I swear, you hear about birds that when they lose their mate, they just slowly die...that would be me.

And what a dick move on Sig. Completely agree with the above post that Sig will help out a guy he doesn't know, but continues to shit all over Jake. Yes, Jake can be a little whiny, but I don't get sabotaging him. I am guessing there is some serious resentment going on for Jake leaving him and/or Jake getting a boat handed to him without putting in a ton of work (which would be bullshit since Sig was handed the NW at 23).

Great start to the season. And also glad I didn't see any previews of pus oozing wounds....can do without seeing that ever again.

• Love 8

Yeah, I suspect that if that timing thing were genuine, Johnathan would have flown off the handle at the producer, saying "WTF did you let me go ahead when you know damn well we can't start until noon!"  To me it looked like bad acting of confusion once he saw the chopper and knew he was busted.

Other than that, Johnathan has mellowed since his health crisis, and he looks a lot physically stronger than the past two years.

Love the new kid.  He seems soft spoken and reasonable, but moves with a lot of confidence.  (Of course I liked Junior the first year, too)

Bill's hair looks good as always.  I hope they knock that guy down to half share or greenhorn for lying about his experience.But that raises the perennial question -- why do these guys never check references?  They go on and on about how small an industry it is, but they keep ending up with losers.  Even outside crabbing, they all fish salmon and have connections there, too.  So there really doesn't seem to be any reason to be hiring people at the bar, unless what you're looking for is somebody you can pay cheap because you really don't want somebody good enough to command a respectable salary.

That's what makes the NW stable -- everybody sticks around because they get a fair deal on a well maintained boat.

Do not want to sit through three months of Sig chest pain coming attractions.  

I felt so bad for Keith.  He was an early favorite of mine, then his rage just turned me completely off.  I hope he's not angry when he's drunk - can't imagine living with that.  

was it the wife's idea for a divorce? Because that was how they seemed to frame it.

Yes, sounded like that.  He said he crawled into a bottle, partied too much, etc.  I remember saying years ago about Josh and Jake that this was exactly the wrong kind of fame for somebody with addiction predilections.  In every airport and hotel lobby people will be shaking your hand and buying you drinks.  The first 20 years of their marriage he may have been gone 8 months a year, but the other 4 he was home.  If suddenly she wasn't even getting that much of his time, why not move on?

It took down Andy and his marriage, Jake Harris, Matt Bradley and who knows how many lesser known deckhands. Edgar alluded to a relapse.   Sig and Josh seemed to be teetering on the brink for a while.  (Though still a jerk, I don't think substance abuse is playing a big role in Josh's behavior, and Sig may just have gotten lucky genes and tired of the reality star rat race.  He can go on tv, hawk crab, and get attention there)

I'm not blaming the show for anybody's addiction, but without the show they'd be dealing with demons at home and on the occasional vacation, not "vacationing" all the weeks they're off the boat.

Edited by kassa
  • Love 5

On a completely different note, saw Sig on one of the morning shows this week and he's completely replaced his top teeth.  Were they injured/damaged in the medical crisis somehow?  Because he didn't change the bottom teeth, so they're freaky bright white on top and the bottom are whatever color they always were.  

I found it puzzling, because if they were just replacing them for dental reasons and he had no intention of doing the bottoms, why not match the color better?  My dentist matches my crowns to the color of my other teeth -- I have to assume that's the default for veneers or whatever he got.  ??

So damn glad we are hopefully done with the Elliot redemption story. Addicts can recover, but you have to lose your ego first and I just don't ever see that happening with him. The comment about Jake not being a real captain shows that not much has changed with him. Whether Jake is or isn't, why say it?

I've been tired of Elliot and his baby mama drama.  He'll probably have about 474747 baby mamas when he's old and grey.

Yeah, I suspect that if that timing thing were genuine, Johnathan would have flown off the handle at the producer, saying "WTF did you let me go ahead when you know damn well we can't start until noon!"  To me it looked like bad acting of confusion once he saw the chopper and knew he was busted.

That part was either for drama or Jonathan was like, "let's see if I can get away with this," like a little kid who gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar, "I'm sorry mom, it was just one cookie."  But they might have let Jon off easy because, shit, I worked for the government and who the hell wants to be bothered with paperwork; for all we know what he did could have involved three or four forms and maybe no one wanted to be bothered with all that for just one pot.

• Love 2

I like the Brenna A captain and his story. In my opinion, from just what we have seen so far, he acts more like a man than either of the two Jake's or Elliot. I look forward to seeing how he makes out.

He's already been shown doing more work than Josh has shown in all the years Josh has been on the show. I'm not one to expect the captain to be on deck micromanagement things, but in the rush to get the boat ready weeks early this new captain was out hustling with the rest of the crew. In contrast, last year Josh was lounging in the captain's chair when his crew was redoing all the pots, and then he threw a temper tantrum because they weren't working fast enough. If I were a deck hand I know which captain would earn my respect with those actions.
  • Love 4

When I saw Keith sitting in the bar, I thought of Elliott and how Keith (and all the captains) would get all over Elliott about drowning his sorrows with drugs and calling his ex all the time from the boat. They pretty much told him to 'suck it up and get over it'. And now Keith is seeing how hard it is to lose your wife and kids. Now Elliott could never leave his troubles on land as we saw. I am curious to see if Keith can.

Edited by Lamima
He's already been shown doing more work than Josh has shown in all the years Josh has been on the show.

I enjoy snark Casey for this reason -- and I think the producers do, too.  Josh has a fan base, which they don't want to lose, but they still manage to rebroadcast the rudder incident, complete with "but I bet his Facebook page is updated", and give Casey multiple jabs on The Bait and the show --  "depends how much effort he decides to put into it" etc, reminding everybody that he and Josh are BOTH employees now.  The new Brenna A kid is just an object lesson in everything Josh says he is and is doing vs what new guy actually IS doing. Right down to honoring the father's legacy.

I don't think Josh ever really intended to become a captain.  He just wanted to ride out the DC storyline, and has leveraged his inheritance to do so.   Of course it's not truly our business how much of the boat he ever actually owned, but what Phil left him and his brother wasn't anything close to a majority share.  They supposedly then purchased the majority from CM... but obviously silent partners and/or banks would have been involved.  Now cash flow necessitated new partners. To my mind, he sold out (I don't mean that in a bad way, just a financial way), pocketed the money, and the rest is pretend for the cameras.  It would not surprise me if his "paycheck" is the owner's share he'd pocket whether he ever set foot on the boat or not.  There's zero reason why any new owners would pay for his apprenticeship when he's not even contributing greenhorn/halfshare labor.  I anticipate him doing even less work now.  

I do appreciate Andy's utter contempt for the pretense that he's a captain and willingness to put him on the spot each and every time they're together.  

Edited by kassa
  • Love 8

Good to see all the regular posters plus some new ones.

Well, guess I am not the only person who thinks John knew what time it was and set the pot betting he would not get caught. Then, when he saw the Coast Guard and got his hand caught in the cookie jar he panicked and decided to fess up. He knew if he lied he would be in BIG trouble.

Wild Bill and more trouble this season with someone who lied about their work experience-same old same old. I think the guy was a full share but not sure.

Well, I guess disco has given up on the legacy story for Josh and will know transfer it to the new captain. He seems like a nice kid who is leap years ahead of Josh. However, the Sig story line with the baridi seemed staged. And I also felt he was being a hypocrite when talking about taking the opportunity to grab the chance to be a captain. He is still angery at Jake for leaving the NW.

I really felt sorry for poor Keith too. Having your marriage end after 25 years is heartbreaking. I always thought his was one of the more stable marriages. Just goes to show we do not really know these guys.  I have a feeling he never saw it coming. It also looked like Monte was pissed when he pulled Keith from the bar. Maybe not the first time he has had to do this.

Did I hear Casey right when he said Josh could lose the CM if they do not come though with big money and crab numbers?

• Love 5

I don't think Josh ever really intended to become a captain. He just wanted to ride out the DC storyline, and has leveraged his inheritance to do so. Of course it's not truly our business how much of the boat he ever actually owned, but what Phil left him and his brother wasn't anything close to a majority share. They supposedly then purchased the majority from CM... but obviously silent partners and/or banks would have been involved. Now cash flow necessitated new partners. To my mind, he sold out (I don't mean that in a bad way, just a financial way), pocketed the money, and the rest is pretend for the cameras. It would not surprise me if his "paycheck" is the owner's share he'd pocket whether he ever set foot on the boat or not. There's zero reason why any new owners would pay for his apprenticeship when he's not even contributing greenhorn/halfshare labor. I anticipate him doing even less work now.

I'm kind of a casual viewer, not as into the back story as some folks. From my perspective, Josh has not put nearly the time or effort I've seen from others learning to run a boat. Years ago he worked for his Dad, and after his Dad's death he spent some time on the Northwestern as a deckhand. From what I remember, he wasn't a particularly good deckhand. He's never been the deckboss or an engineer. But he is Captain Phil Harris' son.

Wild Bill is grooming his son to move to the wheelhouse, making him learn the boat first. Zack has been deckhand, engineer, and this year doing the hiring. At one time Scotty Hilstrand was on track for becoming captain, learning the ins and outs on the Time Bandit while working as a darn good deckhand. Problem he had was he was in to big a hurry, and he learned that being a Hilstrand did not guarantee him the spot. I remember Scotty getting grief for not staying on the boat to work tendering and the other seasons not as profitable as crab season. Andy felt he needed to be more committed to the boat before moving into THE CHAIR I hope he eventually ends up back on the family boat. I remember him as the backbone of the CM deck when he moved over from the Time Bandit.

Look at the other backup/co-captins. When Edgar or Monte are not running the boat, are they sitting in the wheelhouse or are they out on deck? When something breaks, they know what to do, while Josh remains clueless (and we never even see him trying to learn the boat - does he even know where the engine room is?) Hell, when something breaks, it's Casey who corrects the problem while Jake sits in the wheelhouse smoking and listening to music. I'm not saying Josh should never be in the wheelhouse to learn from Casey, but I'm remembering Jake Anderson working the deck and coming to the wheelhouse to learn.

Now that Elliott is gone (thank God), Josh is my new least favorite. At least Elliott had the talent and skill to run a boat before he let personal demons get to him. More than once Elliott left the wheelhouse and fixed problems. As I see it, Josh was a poor deckhand who has moved to the wheelhouse solely on the basis of his name and his father's legacy. To make it worse, he is doing little to earn the spot that he has inherited.

Oops, somehow in the last paragraph, I started saying Jake when I meant Josh

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 4

Interesting start to the season...I feel bad for Keith, too. Finding him in the bar just made me sad.  I hope he can somewhat leave his personal life on land while fishing.  It will be difficult, though...

I do really like Sig but he irked me when he decided to screw with Jake's pots....and then the retaliations, and then more.  I get ribbing and little practical jokes...but deliberately corking their pots is not something I respect.  

• Love 11

Somewhat rhetorical question...If the point of harvesting crab is to grab as much as you can, with as little effort as possible...wasn't it flat stoopid for Sig to go out of his way to lay a string miles from the honey hole he had found?  He was just steaming around, with no particular place to go? And then he happens to overhear the CM and Saga, and THEN he figures out that he can maximize his profits way over there?  With competing strings all around?  

The fisherman's fisherman was alllll about fishing?  I don't think so.  The one who once protested the most Disco's impositions decided to go along with this total BS Made for TV drama?  That would be a big 10-4, good buddy.

• Love 3

Re:  Keith.  It sounded to me that when Keith's children started to grow up, Keith wasn't as involved in their lives the way he was, and that's why he started partying and drinking; maybe he wife told him to stop and he didn't, so she wanted a divorce.  

• Love 1

Re:  Keith.  It sounded to me that when Keith's children started to grow up, Keith wasn't as involved in their lives the way he was, and that's why he started partying and drinking; maybe he wife told him to stop and he didn't, so she wanted a divorce.  

And I imagine there are lots of little DC groupies hanging around, even in Dutch when the guys have some downtime and are away from home for so long...so stuff happens. Maybe she was tired of that.

• Love 1

I found this episode painful. Real Housewives with dirty guys on boats. I've always felt like DC was one of the more authentic reality shows, but I feel like everyone's got their story line already.

Keith - gets the pity edit this season, drowning his sorrows in alcohol weepily

Sig - OG of the DC, but really a mean girl (seriously, leave Jake alone and go fish!)

Jake - nervous newbie, who thinks it's cute to be nervous (I don't believe for one second he wouldn't have his first 27 pot sites picked out before leaving the dock)

Josh - lazy, good for nothing, living off family name (the one you have to root against)

Johnathan - old time goof ball (like Sonja Morgan from RHNYC)

Bill - the one you forget is there the second he's off screen

New guy seems nice and grounded, but it's episode 1. His parents didn't think a college education might be a better investment in his future than a fishing boat? That whole conversation with Sig was painfully fake. Ugh. I cannot watch Josh Harris sit in that wheelhouse doing nothing for another season. Why don't his silent partners insist that he do something?! He doesn't even bother to look at the guys signalling the crab count; Casey has to tell him how many. His butt should be on the deck, working. 

This was a long two hours for me. Hoping Disco is just laying some groundwork and I get the real DC back next week. 

• Love 5

Ugh. I cannot watch Josh Harris sit in that wheelhouse doing nothing for another season. Why don't his silent partners insist that he do something?! He doesn't even bother to look at the guys signalling the crab count; Casey has to tell him how many. His butt should be on the deck, working.

Come on, it's not like Josh isn't doing anything - he spent quite a bit of time mugging for the camera this week, lol.  I wonder how much time that guy spends in front of a mirror before plopping his butt in the "captains" chair?    I think Casey has the patience of a saint with Josh. 

And what's with all these clip shows my dvr is picking up?   Maybe 12 seasons is too many, because I think the Real Housewives with dirty guys on boats  is an apt description of this episode. 

• Love 4