Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: Skin Deep

When Nick and Hank come across a beautiful young woman who seems to have aged 70 years overnight and died, they suspect Wesen involvement. The investigation leads to a local doctor and Rosalee is enlisted to help find the truth. Meanwhile, Eve takes bold steps to learn more about Capt. Renard's nefarious dealings.

Thank you Nick for pointing out that if Renard is not captain any more they will have to do a lot more explaining of what the hell happened in a case.   This whole Renard running for mayor is just ridiculous.   I know he is power hungry, but c'mon, mayor of Portland?

And ooooh look, Eve can get hold of cctv footage and interpret it.   Those google fu skills she had when she was with Nick have really come in handy.

• Love 2

I didn't like this episode. The Wesen of the week and Doctor were creepy.

At least they are moving along with the storyline about Sean running for mayor.

WTH was Julieve doing? First of all how depressing is it that it looks like she lives all the time in a dungeon? And apparently Meisner or someone taught her how to mix up witches potions. But I think it will be interesting to see what happens next with her cloning as Sean.

• Love 1

WTH was Julieve doing? First of all how depressing is it that it looks like she lives all the time in a dungeon? And apparently Meisner or someone taught her how to mix up witches potions. But I think it will be interesting to see what happens next with her cloning as Sean.

Read the blurb for next week's episode (over in the "True Believer" thread).  It's pretty clear what she's going to do....

• Love 1

The Wesen of the Week was okay and there was, at least, a shout-out to the Spinnetod story from way back in Season 1. Also, the part that got me cracking up was seeing the doctor's face at the end. Yeah, it was funny and I think that is wasn't supposed to be so funny but I was just laughing when I saw his face. Still, the Spinnetod story was way better and had a much better ending to it. 

As with the Evil stuff about Renard running for Mayor does anyone really think that Renard will become the mayor?

(edited)

That was creepy...for some reason I thought the doctor would also be wesen, he was just a human. Also was exactly was that guy sucking out of his victims ? Their essence ?

The way I interpreted that scene was that the cream probably acted like Botox and just made his skin tight and the fact that he either used way to much in one sitting (which he was warned not to do, by the Wesen himself), or he was just using it too long. As with what was being sucked out, I have no idea. On a show like Grimm where magic is supposedly real (and there seems to be a lot of hints that things like demons and ghosts are real as well, in the Grimm world) it could be literally anything. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 2

Also was exactly was that guy sucking out of his victims ? Their essence ?

Their youth & beauty, I would think!

Yeah, the doc looked pretty creepy at the end.  We were guessing that he would use too much of the FOY Cream and end up reverse-aging into a baby!  Which would have been hilarious.

• Love 5

That was creepy...for some reason I thought the doctor would also be wesen, he was just a human. Also was exactly was that guy sucking out of his victims ? Their essence ?

To paraphrase Dean Winchester : 'I'll say it again. Wesen I get. People are crazy!!'

• Love 4
(edited)

That baby was adorable...But what was the point of Adalind walking out in a towel? They could have done the same scene with Adalind clothed..

So Eve is impersonating Renard, I actually thought she would impersonate Rachel so this is a nice twist. But if she starts infiltrating BC someone is bound to notice that Sean doesn't seem to recall all his activities. I assume she will be approaching Rachel next episode...it's going to be interesting watching Sasha playing Bitsie/Eve playing Renard..All that being said, I will always appreciate a shirtless Renard.

Also where is Meisner, is Eve all by herself at headquarters doing all the investigating..they must really trust their conditioning...

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 1

I'd be a bit wary of some guy approaching me in a shop who tells me he's a photographer and wants to take modelling shots of me. |Business card or not and website or not, I'd still check him out and probably bring a friend or let someone know where I am going, especially if it is not during normal business hours.

If the doctor with the magic potion revealed his true self (sans potion), I don't know whether I'd be laughing or running out of the office as fast as I could. That would be me the next day! He'd need a huge amount of the magic ingredient to afford the TV commercials. Why use Rosalee? Why didn't the photographer see that Nick was a Grimm?

The book with various Wesens is a bit contrived now. Maybe Nick can hire a Grimm intern or student to transfer the contents to a computer database.

I can see Renard pretending to run for Mayor to see what Black Claw is up to. A police chief would have a bit more power and leverage over a mayor to get some funding for his department.

I'm not sure what this says about our society . We have youngsters believing strangers who tell them "you are Beautiful enough to be a model ." And older women who will do anything to look younger .

If I were Summer, my first thought when I woke up would be to wonder if I was drugged and raped. And for the older women, to be so naïve as to think there is a magical cream that can make you look so much younger with just one application ... And that there won't be side effects . It kind of does remind me of Botox ..which IS a toxin, which always carries risks . TBH, I felt worse for Summer than the women...who looked to be near my age..falling all over themselves for the magical elixir. But, them, I worked in a field where many people I dealt with were really, really naive - really, really ignorant, or really really stupid.

The photographer reacted in such a way as to make me wonder if he really realized That what he was doing was actually killing somebody . And he told the doctor not to use it . What the heck... Did he care more about the doctor than about the patients that were using it?

And Adalind and her towel really were not necessary . I was going to give her a pass if she was getting ready to nurse Kelly. And she did say Kelly was getting hungry ..... But it appeared she thought that because SHE was hungry, not because she was feeling like she needed to nurse him.

I did like how Hank was smart enough to point out that Sean was possibly being played . And I also liked the comment. That Nick made about how Eve talks about as much as Kelly. That Nick made about how eve talks about as much as Kelly

Alright episode this week.

Those two models were pretty dumb for trusting a complete stranger. If that doctor had been anymore hammy, he would have turned into a pig. Adalind shows up for her 2 minutes of screen time this week, and I breathe a sigh of relief at how short it was.

• Love 4

I'm not sure what this says about our society . We have youngsters believing strangers who tell them "you are Beautiful enough to be a model ." And older women who will do anything to look younger .

If I were Summer, my first thought when I woke up would be to wonder if I was drugged and raped. And for the older women, to be so naïve as to think there is a magical cream that can make you look so much younger with just one application ... And that there won't be side effects . It kind of does remind me of Botox ..which IS a toxin, which always carries risks . TBH, I felt worse for Summer than the women...who looked to be near my age..falling all over themselves for the magical elixir. But, them, I worked in a field where many people I dealt with were really, really naive - really, really ignorant, or really really stupid.

The photographer reacted in such a way as to make me wonder if he really realized That what he was doing was actually killing somebody . And he told the doctor not to use it . What the heck... Did he care more about the doctor than about the patients that were using it?

And Adalind and her towel really were not necessary . I was going to give her a pass if she was getting ready to nurse Kelly. And she did say Kelly was getting hungry ..... But it appeared she thought that because SHE was hungry, not because she was feeling like she needed to nurse him.

I did like how Hank was smart enough to point out that Sean was possibly being played . And I also liked the comment. That Nick made about how Eve talks about as much as Kelly. That Nick made about how eve talks about as much as Kelly

Haven't seen the episode and I have no plans to, but from this post, it sounds like the show is living up to its tried and true misogyny.

• Love 1

I guess they've already forgotten about the Wu-wolf episode last week.

I don't think they've forgotten.  Wu's lycanthrope transformation won't occur until the next full moon.  We probably won't see it happen for at least a couple of more episodes. 

• Love 4

That baby was adorable...But what was the point of Adalind walking out in a towel? They could have done the same scene with Adalind clothed..

They want to make sure that we all remember that Adalind & Nick are a couple now. That way when Eve turns back into Juliette & decides she wants Nick back, it will be CONFLICT.

I was surprised when Eve turned into Renard (was anyone else seriously creeped out when Renard's body still had Eve's head?), I thought she would turn into Adalind.

All that being said, I will always appreciate a shirtless Renard..

.But what was the point of Adalind walking out in a towel?

I think you answered your own question :) Nice to see the dope hat back.

Holy hell that was pretty bad.  It seems like they are trying to outdo themselves on how gross the wesen can get.  The doctor was either doing a terrible acting job, or they were going for total campiness.  Juliette - laughable.  They should have left her with clothes on, then she could have busted out of them like the Incredible Hulk.  Is she going rogue or has she been put in charge of things there in the cell block?  She had her magic paraphernalia hidden behind her sparse but well-lit wardrobe.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'd be a bit wary of some guy approaching me in a shop who tells me he's a photographer and wants to take modelling shots of me. |Business card or not and website or not, I'd still check him out and probably bring a friend or let someone know where I am going, especially if it is not during normal business hours.

Several years ago here in the Midwest, more than 1 abduction of young women was done by men who used this ruse.  Often in shopping malls. 

I really thought Juliet was using that hat and spell to keep herself as Eve.  I figured this was the start of the 'return to Juliet' subplot. After all, Adelind is returning to her true self as well. Turning herself into Renard seems a little 'jumping the shark-ish'.  

Wesen recognize Nick as the Grimm only when they vogue.  The photographer did not vogue during their initial visit, only in the doctor's office. However, given how many Wesen know Nick is the Grimm, don't you think his name and photograph would be making the rounds by now?

Edited by mythoughtis
(edited)

I liked the concept of the main story. The actor who plays the doctor plays wonderful smarmy characters, sort of like how brother Eric does evil people well.

If it goes like last time, they'll sleep together and Juliette will be pregnant with Rachel's baby. or no, Renard will be pregnant with Rachel's baby. Renard is a half zauberbiest so he must have awareness of some magic techniques even though his real skill is scheming and being clever and plotting things.

Edited by ottilie
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

They want to make sure that we all remember that Adalind & Nick are a couple now. That way when Eve turns back into Juliette & decides she wants Nick back, it will be CONFLICT.

I was surprised when Eve turned into Renard (was anyone else seriously creeped out when Renard's body still had Eve's head?), I thought she would turn into Adalind.

I don't think they are a couple, it's playing like the sex was a one time thing.  Agree about Renard body and Eve's head..they don't need to do that again..

Holy hell that was pretty bad.  It seems like they are trying to outdo themselves on how gross the wesen can get.  The doctor was either doing a terrible acting job, or they were going for total campiness.  Juliette - laughable.  They should have left her with clothes on, then she could have busted out of them like the Incredible Hulk.  Is she going rogue or has she been put in charge of things there in the cell block?  She had her magic paraphernalia hidden behind her sparse but well-lit wardrobe.

I think the doctor was going for campiness, that cream made him crazy.  I also think he was using more than he should, the Wesen guy whose name I can't remember said "A little goes a long way"..so I assume he meant use a tiny amount. However the doctor slathered a lot of cream on that woman's face.  Also all those women who got the "treatment", will it wear off? Are they going to come back needing more since the cream had addictive properties?  They only had a one time treatment so I doubt they would go crazy but since the doctor kept using it, I assume it wears off eventually.

Wesen recognize Nick as the Grimm only when they vogue.  The photographer did not vogue during their initial visit, only in the doctor's office. However, given how many Wesen know Nick is the Grimm, don't you think his name and photograph would be making the rounds by now?

Actually I was surprised he didn't change during the questioning since he must have been nervous.  However I assume that was a plot point since Nick didn't know what type of Wesen he was. Also Nick said he was going to leave the Grimm in the car, however if that was the case shouldn't he have work dark glasses or something so the dude couldn't see his eyes if he did change.

If it goes like last time, they'll sleep together and Juliette will be pregnant with Rachel's baby. or no, Renard will be pregnant with Rachel's baby.

Funny!

Edited by bluvelvet

It looked like for the treatment the doctor was giving the women, he was mixing the stuff with other ingredients to create a cream, so maybe they weren't getting the full whammy, while he was putting the raw stuff on his face in full strength. Which was kind of weird because the women got that instant, magical transformation, while I couldn't tell much difference in the doctor up until the end when he looked like some kind of Batman villain. Or else maybe that facelift scene from the movie Brazil. What was cracking me up was that the label on the FOY cream had a very similar graphic design look to a supposedly miracle skin care line sold via multilevel marketing that keeps popping up on my Facebook feed from various former co-workers and other acquaintances. I've never heard of anyone who actually uses the stuff, but selling it sounds like a cult. So I wonder if the episode's writer sees similar things pop up on Facebook and that's what inspired the episode.

The scene with Nick and the baby was ridiculously adorable. The kid even seemed to be having fun.

• Love 3

I really enjoyed this episode. However, my first thought when Eve changed into Renard was 'her acting is so bad that they are having the Renard actor take over her role...(yes, I'm bad)'. So, less 'Eve' next week?

I liked the Wessen of the week story. Wow the doctor was just creepy at the end; however, he looked no worse than photos of real life plastic surgery disasters look.

And, nobody should go alone to a photographer who used the 'you should be a model' line.

• Love 2

Yeah, the young models should've brought someone with them to that photographer's place but I have heard stories like that before. So, I really don't know if that was more like a warning or art mimicking life (maybe a little of both)?

(edited)

Yeah, that girl was dumb to go to that studio by herself. Don't people in TV shows watch tv? ;-)

The actor playing the doctor plays Howard on "Better Call Saul"!

I laughed when he said something along the lines of having a face people naturally trusted, since his specialty seems to be men you immediately distrust when they come on the screen. I thought it might be a little in joke.

I didn't hate or love this episode. As usual, the best bits were Rosalee, her reactions to the Doctor and when she joined in the fight and, IIRC, handed out the final blow with a smash to the head with a piece of furniture or equipment.

Eve and the polyjuice potion, eh - maybe the third time will be the charm? That is, maybe it will be interesting to see Renard as played by Eve, as it were. I don't recall how the last transformation went, but the flashback made it look almost like a woge - just a little shiver and presto chango. I guess it's a lot harder to transform into Renard than into Adalind. Have to add all that body mass. All that fine, fine body mass.

I don't think Renard is being played - or rather, I think he knows he's being played and is playing along to find out more. But it's been left ambiguous enough, since we know he has ambition, to go either way.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

Major plot holes.   Renard's mother gave him the hat in season 4 and told him to treat it with respect and he loaned the Hexenbiest book to Rosalie at the end of the same season.  Where did Juliette get her hands on not only the hat but the book?!   Did she break into Renard's home and steal both items?

It's not a secret that I can't stand Juliette not Eve or whatever she's calling herself these days, so why didn't she show Nik the scenes of Renard hugging Rachel and Rachel clearly setting up Dixon to be shot?  I can't stand this chick with her wanting to be some badass and clearly honing in on police work.  Ugh.

I used to think all of Adalind's scenes at the fortress were because CC had given birth and the writers wanted to give her a chance to heal and if that is her baby, Mommy time.  However, Adalind has spent 3/4 of the season holed up at the fortress and not looking to go back to work, but it's nice that she got to spend those months with Kelly.

When Juliette cornered Renard at his car, why didn't she use her uber duper powers to get him to spill whether or not he was working with BC from the jump?!

I laughed when he said something along the lines of having a face people naturally trusted, since his specialty seems to be men you immediately distrust when they come on the screen. I thought it might be a little in joke.

I didn't hate or love this episode. As usual, the best bits were Rosalee, her reactions to the Doctor and when she joined in the fight and, IIRC, handed out the final blow with a smash to the head with a piece of furniture or equipment.

Eve and the polyjuice potion, eh - maybe the third time will be the charm? That is, maybe it will be interesting to see Renard as played by Eve, as it were. I don't recall how the last transformation went, but the flashback made it look almost like a woge - just a little shiver and presto chango. I guess it's a lot harder to transform into Renard than into Adalind. Have to add all that body mass. All that fine, fine body mass.

I don't think Renard is being played - or rather, I think he knows he's being played and is playing along to find out more. But it's been left ambiguous enough, since we know he has ambition, to go either way.

Yes, all of that FINE, FINE body mass!  

Renard was being played from the start until he saw the footage of Rachel looking up toward the shooter and then the Bailey Chase character came to his house with that lame ass poster.  BC just offered to help Renard and Adalind regain control of their missing kid which I hope never to see ever again and the other Mayoral candidate is a bad choice.

(edited)

I can't wait to see Sasha Roiz play Eve attempting to act like Renard. There are a few similarities with the good show True Blood, where the shapeshifter characters typically turn into animals, but sometimes imitate other people. A few times, they had the actor who played Sam have to pretend to be either his brother or female friend trying to act like him, but they still walk like a woman or have an angry or naive personality that they can't cover up. Another thing they could have copied from True Blood is the plot point of wesen trying to come out of the closet.

Also, Ophan Black has two actors who each play sets of identical octuplets who each have a different personality. There are some good actors on this show and Sasha Roiz did well suddenly switching into the 19th century british Jack character etc. Maybe someone will come along and speak to him in french or russian or german and then Juliette won't know what to say because she speaks spanish.

The reason Black claw are setting up a complicated sequence targeting Renard has to be their awareness of his daughter. They had research material on him in their computers.

Edited by ottilie

Whoever said the writers did the whole Adalind and Nick thing to setup Juliette and Nick getting back together was right. I mean they are writing Adalind as going back to her old former self and paralleling it with Eve becoming Juliette again. I don't mind it cause I like Adalind on Team Bad but don't be obvious about it.

I used to think all of Adalind's scenes at the fortress were because CC had given birth and the writers wanted to give her a chance to heal and if that is her baby, Mommy time.  However, Adalind has spent 3/4 of the season holed up at the fortress and not looking to go back to work, but it's nice that she got to spend those months with Kelly.

I think they isolated CC because they are setting up for Adalind's death. JMO.

• Love 1

Summer should have been wary of the 'water' that she drank. Most likely it was spiked with something. Professional model or not, with today's digital cameras and proper lighting in a photographer's studio, there should not have been that 'flash' issue. Always tell or text a friend/family member where you are going, especially to a stranger's home if you have concerns and it's not during business hours. Waaaay too many catfish out there.

I thought that Juliette/Eve would revert to Adalind too.

Youth and retaining it were well-played. Ageism is a big thing. Some people would pay $5000 for some miracle cream. There isn't one, really. The doctor did pay a price to be 69 years young. I thought I recognized him, but couldn't place him.

• Love 2
(edited)

If it goes like last time, they'll sleep together and Juliette will be pregnant with Rachel's baby. or no, Renard will be pregnant with Rachel's baby.

Knowing this show? Pretty sure Adalind will be the one getting pregnant with Rachel's baby. I mean, it's not like they're making an effort to find her anything ELSE to do, right?

Edited by Slovenly Muse
  • Love 3

I was cracking up at the professional photographer just strolling through the makeup department with his camera bag. And that naive girl wanted to be a model so badly that she went over to his place BY HERSELF. I'm too paranoid (thanks to years of watching Law & Order: SVU) to do something like that.

What the hell, Eve? You demand that Nick come over to the lair immediately to give him some important information and then you tell him approximately three sentences of information that you could have told him while you had him on the phone.

I was cracking up at the professional photographer just strolling through the makeup department with his camera bag. And that naive girl wanted to be a model so badly that she went over to his place BY HERSELF. I'm too paranoid (thanks to years of watching Law & Order: SVU) to do something like that.

What the hell, Eve? You demand that Nick come over to the lair immediately to give him some important information and then you tell him approximately three sentences of information that you could have told him while you had him on the phone.

I really keep hoping Nick will go OFF on this chick and not look back.  Not dead Juliette is the, worse!  

Where IS Meisner while not Juliette is on her high horse where Renard is concerned?  You would think Meisner would have told his team of two what happened with Marwin and Renard's role in killing the man.  I can't wait until Meisner finds out what not Juliette is doing and go clean the fuck off.

This! Her conversation with Renard was equally brief to the point of pointless.
  • Love 1

Pretty much any scene with Juliette is unnecessary.  Robotic, unnecessary disguises that really just call attention to her, conveying useless info, just a waste of screen time.

I was trying to think of anything I liked about this episode.  Wu and Rosalee were fine.  I really liked the two womens' apartment, beautiful.  They must be doing OK financially to afford that.  The lobby of the dermatologist's building was also really nice.  The rest of it, bleh.  They could have done a better fountain of youth story.  I suppose I should also put in the plus column that they had a scene with the medical examiner.  That never happens anymore. 

• Love 2

I suppose I should also put in the plus column that they had a scene with the medical examiner.  That never happens anymore. 

Was it Harper?  If so, I might actually have to watch this episode (or at least her scene....)

(edited)

Was it Harper?  If so, I might actually have to watch this episode (or at least her scene....)

No, it was not Dr. Harper (Sharon Sachs) a character that I really liked from day one and it makes NO sense that we never see Nick and Hank interacting with the Medical Examiner!

Dr. Harper should be all over the weird deaths and other suspicious bodies that come in and out of the morgue.

Pretty much any scene with Juliette is unnecessary.  Robotic, unnecessary disguises that really just call attention to her, conveying useless info, just a waste of screen time.

I was trying to think of anything I liked about this episode.  Wu and Rosalee were fine.  I really liked the two womens' apartment, beautiful.  They must be doing OK financially to afford that.  The lobby of the dermatologist's building was also really nice.  The rest of it, bleh.  They could have done a better fountain of youth story.  I suppose I should also put in the plus column that they had a scene with the medical examiner.  That never happens anymore. 

LMAO.  I used to just tolerate Juliette when the show started and now I have no idea WHY the writers did not leave the character dead.

Edited by Darklazr

Whoever said the writers did the whole Adalind and Nick thing to setup Juliette and Nick getting back together was right. I mean they are writing Adalind as going back to her old former self and paralleling it with Eve becoming Juliette again. I don't mind it cause I like Adalind on Team Bad but don't be obvious about it.

I think they isolated CC because they are setting up for Adalind's death. JMO.

LOL.  I watch General Hospital and spent decades watching various soap operas, so I know first hand that writers will do whatever it takes to make some characters "equal" to sell a pairing.  Nick had no problem having sex with the new and improved Adalind, so it won't be long before Juliette does something not quite evil and we're back to Nick/Juliette.  

• Love 1

Dr. Harper has to be wesen.   The ME's main job is to make sure there are no questions asked about the unusual number of animal bite deaths in Portland.

Dr. Harper was confronted by a wesen that knocked her in the head (Three Gold Coins) and she looked freaked out!

LOL.  I watch General Hospital and spent decades watching various soap operas, so I know first hand that writers will do whatever it takes to make some characters "equal" to sell a pairing.  Nick had no problem having sex with the new and improved Adalind, so it won't be long before Juliette does something not quite evil and we're back to Nick/Juliette.  

Which is lame really. If people are not going to accept Adalind who only tried to kill Nick's relatives (LMAO) then they are not going to accept Juliette who took part in his mother's death. I can be wrong about this but I doubted it. 

I am just glad Adalind will be interesting again before her end. I really hated how they isolated her this season just to sell this Nick/Adalind thing. Now that it has done what it was suppose to do which was pave the way for Juliette and Nick then hopefully they will free her. 

Yeah, that girl was dumb to go to that studio by herself. Don't people in TV shows watch tv? ;-)

The actor playing the doctor plays Howard on "Better Call Saul"!

Yeah I kept saying, I know this guy!  Then it came to me.  His voice is so distinctive the way he enunciates, you can identify him even with the makeup.