Type keyword(s) to search

A Different World - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I may have my newfound doubts on whether or not Dwayne and Whitley belong together but I still love their first date and first I love yous. I just rewatched that episode like 3 times this weekend.

On 6/14/2021 at 1:42 PM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

When was their first date?

The episode where Ron meets Ray Nay of Ray Nays bbq and learns that hes now homeless.

Whitley asks Dwayne out to dinner to thank him for helping her study. At first he says no because Whitley is too much and plays too many games. Ron reminds him that all of that may be true but that Whitley truly likes Dwayne and if Dwayne keeps shooting her down shes going to find a new man and just as important--as trying as Dwayne finds Whitley Dwayne truly does like her as well. Instead of calling Whitley or stopping by to tell her that he changed his mind about dinner Dwayne shows up with a big bag of food. Whitley is in sweats, a jheri curl cap and pimple cream which Dwayne finds hilarious. They have an honest conversation about their past and Whitley tells Dwayne that she loves him. Before he can respond Ron and Ray Nay interrupt and cook up a whole new feast while Dwayne and Whitley cuddle (kind of) on the couch. After Ron and Ray Nay leave Dwayne murmurs to Whitley, flipping the lights off and sliding his arms around her waist before lifting her up on the sink that he loves her as well. And then Jaleesa walks in with her date. 

Its a good Ron episode but Whitley and Dwayne are on fire! Chemistry out the wazoo. Ive always thought of that as their first date. They are officially a couple from that moment until the broken engagement.

• Love 6
On 6/17/2021 at 9:13 PM, hiisa said:

The episode where Ron meets Ray Nay of Ray Nays bbq and learns that hes now homeless.

Whitley asks Dwayne out to dinner to thank him for helping her study. At first he says no because Whitley is too much and plays too many games. Ron reminds him that all of that may be true but that Whitley truly likes Dwayne and if Dwayne keeps shooting her down shes going to find a new man and just as important--as trying as Dwayne finds Whitley Dwayne truly does like her as well. Instead of calling Whitley or stopping by to tell her that he changed his mind about dinner Dwayne shows up with a big bag of food. Whitley is in sweats, a jheri curl cap and pimple cream which Dwayne finds hilarious. They have an honest conversation about their past and Whitley tells Dwayne that she loves him. Before he can respond Ron and Ray Nay interrupt and cook up a whole new feast while Dwayne and Whitley cuddle (kind of) on the couch. After Ron and Ray Nay leave Dwayne murmurs to Whitley, flipping the lights off and sliding his arms around her waist before lifting her up on the sink that he loves her as well. And then Jaleesa walks in with her date. 

Its a good Ron episode but Whitley and Dwayne are on fire! Chemistry out the wazoo. Ive always thought of that as their first date. They are officially a couple from that moment until the broken engagement.

I don't consider this eppy a first date, as this is the episode where they discussed their attraction and declared their love for each other.

E! is showing a special tonight at 9 PM Eastern/Pacific called A Different World: Reunion Road Trip featuring cast members.  This is probably what is going to be promoted in the the Entertainment Tonight interview.

(edited)

Set and recorded!

I wonder if Charnele Brown (Kim) wants to be associated with the show....outside of once on a TVOne special, everytime there's a reunion she's never participating.

ETA:  Loved the special!

Everyone looked great, though I have to wonder if this was before or after Sinbad's stroke.  CHARNELE sighting!  She appeared via video screen and looked great, I liked how excited the cast was to see her.

Loved how the choked up the cast got when they received verbal flowers from famous fans (Lena Waithe and 9th Wonder).  Was hoping for more of a remembrance of Lou Myers as Mr. Gaines.

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • Love 2
(edited)

The special was great.  It was probably filmed before Sinbad's stroke.  On ET, they said something like, "Sinbad is recovering from a November stroke" before showing a clip of him from the special.  I liked seeing Charnele, even briefly.  I think she was on a reunion on Steve Harvey's talk show three or four years ago with Kadeem, Jasmine, Darryl and Cree.  I remember some joking about the Ron/Freddie/Kim love triangle and I think Charnele said she was running an acting school in Texas?  Maybe that didn't happen and I have an active imagination though, as I'm not sure.  Charnele's IMDb credits are interesting.  She did a few sitcom guest appearances right after the show, followed by a decade break, then a few more followed by an even-longer hiatus.  Now she has multiple credits listed again.

ETA:  It looks like the Steve Harvey reunion happened in 2016.  Everything is divided into clips, but here's a backstage thing with the five of them.

Edited by KWalkerInc
Added video.
  • Love 2
On 3/27/2021 at 11:43 AM, JAYJAY1979 said:

Debbie Allen had said that whites did go to HBC's...and she said she wanted to keep Maggie on the show..and show how racism is a 2 way street.  But Marisa opted to leave the show after the 1st season.

Had Ms. Allen been show runner on season 1...I think Denise and jalissa would have had a reaction to having a white roommate,  etc.

I've been unable to find this most recent reunion posted about above (actually, just found a bunch of clips now, couldn't find those yesterday), but in my search, I came across some older reunions and interviews, including the one above.

In the 2005 reunion, the discussion of season 1 was so interesting, I guess I didn't notice the difference as much simply because the cast changes were so extreme (similar to Facts of Life season 1 vs the rest of the seasons, I vastly preferred the S2 onward version, but it's hard to compare them head to head), but they're right about the generic storylines in S1. They showed a clip of Dwayne talking to Ron about a gift and Ron responds "I spent my share on Buttercup's gift." Buttercup being that insipid Millie, who for me, holds the title of worst ADW character ever. Ditching her and allowing Ron to become the slick weasel he became was one of their best casting changes.

The addition of the new characters and the introduction of some continuity in the storylines was such an improvement. In looking back on it, aside from Dwayne's infatuation with Denise, a lot of the S1 episodes feel like complete standalones, whereas the S2 and beyond episodes had lots of long-running threads woven through.

I loved how the cast greeted each other so warmly and how they sat around chatting so genuinely and so relaxed. I realize it was less time in between since it was only '05 when they filmed that, but it still struck me as so different from the somewhat stilted Friends reunion. 

I'll have to catch up on the clips of the most recent reunion, I guess there isn't one long video, it's all clips? 

• Love 2
(edited)

Me during that entire reunion, especially when they brought on the Lena Waithe and the 9th Wonder to talk about how the show impacted them as fans:

tenor.gif

And why in the hell did NBC/E! make that video so hard to find....

Edited by luckyroll3
  • Love 3
On 6/28/2021 at 12:01 PM, luckyroll3 said:

Me during that entire reunion, especially when they brought on the Lena Waithe and the 9th Wonder to talk about how the show impacted them as fans:

tenor.gif

And why in the hell did NBC/E! make that video so hard to find....

Right?? That search took some serious dedication, it doesn't show up anywhere near the top of the google results. 

That was SO good, what a lovely group of people. Such genuine friendship and energy. Cree Summer seems like such a fun person, just as wacky as Freddie with those fashion choices, but so warm and genuine.

I hope Sinbad is okay, he was great in this. I loved his little ending speech about all of their characters and he's as funny as ever. I could listen to him talk all day. I also loved his "thanks for not giving us a ride" and Jasmine turning around in the car to point out the bus stop 5 blocks away, lol.

Darryl Bell needs to grow his facial hair back, but otherwise, he looks pretty much the same. I loved the story of how he got the job and that he and Kadeem were best friends in real life. 

THAT is how a reunion should be done. I also felt the Fresh Prince reunion was really well done and that cast was also warm toward each other and very comfortable. Ironic that the Friends reunion sucked up all the attention because it was the worst of the bunch. 

Also, I never knew Cree and Kadeem were a couple in real life!!! I was too young to really follow along with celebrity news or anything at the time, but I'd never heard that mentioned before. 

• Love 6

TV One is showing a marathon of Dwayne & Whitley themed episodes on Sunday beginning at 6 AM Pacific (9 AM Eastern, I think--I never know which channels carry two feeds).  This is a nice idea, but I have to question them NOT including season 4's "Love Thy Neighbor" where they actually get together!  That's almost as stupid as if they had decided not to show the wedding episodes!   For some reason, I guess just to include something from season 1, they have "Dr. Cupid" which isn't really about them except for when Whitley is the only person who doesn't understand that the Daryl Walker that Dwayne is talking about on the radio is him, so at the end she asks for Daryl (while Dwayne is dancing with Denise) and is mortified when everyone clues her in.  I guess that's cute and all, but not at the expense of "Love Thy Neighbor."  They also don't have "Forever Hold Your Peace" from season 3 where they kiss in the car at the end.

The episodes they are showing are:  (season 1) - Dr. Cupid  (season 2) - Dream Lover  (season 3) - Strangers on a Plane & Wedding Bells From Hell  (season 4) - The Goodwill Games & Love, Hillman-Style  (season 5) - We've Only Just Begun, Kiss You Back & Save the Best for Last (1 & 2)  (season 6) - Honeymoon in L.A. (1 & 2), Baby, It's Cold Outside, Cabin in the Sky & When One Door Closes... (1 & 2)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

TV One is showing a marathon of Dwayne & Whitley themed episodes on Sunday beginning at 6 AM Pacific (9 AM Eastern, I think--I never know which channels carry two feeds).  This is a nice idea, but I have to question them NOT including season 4's "Love Thy Neighbor" where they actually get together!  That's almost as stupid as if they had decided not to show the wedding episodes!   For some reason, I guess just to include something from season 1, they have "Dr. Cupid" which isn't really about them except for when Whitley is the only person who doesn't understand that the Daryl Walker that Dwayne is talking about on the radio is him, so at the end she asks for Daryl (while Dwayne is dancing with Denise) and is mortified when everyone clues her in.  I guess that's cute and all, but not at the expense of "Love Thy Neighbor."  They also don't have "Forever Hold Your Peace" from season 3 where they kiss in the car at the end.

The episodes they are showing are:  (season 1) - Dr. Cupid  (season 2) - Dream Lover  (season 3) - Strangers on a Plane & Wedding Bells From Hell  (season 4) - The Goodwill Games & Love, Hillman-Style  (season 5) - We've Only Just Begun, Kiss You Back & Save the Best for Last (1 & 2)  (season 6) - Honeymoon in L.A. (1 & 2), Baby, It's Cold Outside, Cabin in the Sky & When One Door Closes... (1 & 2)

I'M IN!! 

I like Jaleesa but her behavior towards Whitley bugs me. She's always looking down on Whitley and make mean remarks. Whitley can be spoiled and self involved but she's always trying and learning to be a better person and Jeleesa hardly gives her any credit.

• Love 1
On 7/16/2021 at 6:32 PM, Snow Apple said:

I like Jaleesa but her behavior towards Whitley bugs me. She's always looking down on Whitley and make mean remarks. Whitley can be spoiled and self involved but she's always trying and learning to be a better person and Jeleesa hardly gives her any credit.

She's giving back what she gets from Whitley, IMO. Whitley never has anything nice to say to Jaleesa, who appears to get along fine with every single other character (unlike Whitley). And there's a distinct undertone of classism in the way Whitley speaks to Jaleesa, like she saying she wears dime store perfume and incredulously saying "THAT'S your best dress??" Things like that indicate that it's Whitley looking down on Jaleesa, in my opinion.

Granted, Whitley thinks everyone at Hillman is a lower class than her, lol, but it seems particularly pointed toward Jaleesa and Freddie.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

She's giving back what she gets from Whitley, IMO. Whitley never has anything nice to say to Jaleesa, who appears to get along fine with every single other character (unlike Whitley). And there's a distinct undertone of classism in the way Whitley speaks to Jaleesa, like she saying she wears dime store perfume and incredulously saying "THAT'S your best dress??" Things like that indicate that it's Whitley looking down on Jaleesa, in my opinion.

Granted, Whitley thinks everyone at Hillman is a lower class than her, lol, but it seems particularly pointed toward Jaleesa and Freddie.

THIS.  Eventually Freddie found her voice and like Jalessa gave it right back to Whitley.

• Love 1

Uck, TV One is back to the beginning with Denise.  Man, Season One sucked so bad.

When One Door Closes was on the other day....the part where Ron and Dwayne hug right before he and Whitley leaves for Japan always puts a lump in my throat.  I believe Darryl said he broke down on the part where he told Dwayne to take care.

• Love 5

The first time the finale aired, I missed the first 40! minutes because I'd forgotten they'd dumped the show onto a Saturday night after not airing it for three-plus months (even though I saw one ad for it and discussed it with someone at school).  So I didn't see it all the way through for years, but still that time and every time since then, I always get choked up at the end.  It would have been a lot harder (and certainly more expensive) to stay in touch back then than it is now (no wonder the mothers-in-law got so drunk about their separation from their grandchild).  Even when I watched this on VHS a couple years ago because the show wasn't on TV, it really got to me when Ron stands there tearfully watching them leave.  I didn't make any noise, but my cat somehow knew I was crying and looked back at me with concern (he's very sensitive, LOL).

• LOL 2

This show just popped up on HBO Max! Even though I can see it on Amazon Prime, I was excited to see it on HBO, I feel like this is an under-remembered show that needs a wider audience.

I've been watching S1 simply for the nostalgia, the pay phones, the archaic vending machines, the clothes, etc. It's an enjoyable show in a very fluffy, run of the mill way, but I'm glad they found their focus in S2 and introduced more meaningful characters and storylines.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

With it on HBO Max, does it mean that you can watch any season?

Yep, all 6 seasons are there. 

Still working my way through Season 1. So glad Whitley was allowed to evolve, she was hard to take at first. Also glad she ditched that giant mohawk-like tower of hair, it was terribly unflattering.

One really irritating episode was when Denise is paying dorm fees for both her and Jaleesa (J had paid some other bill for her) and her checks bounce, but she wants to handle it herself instead of asking her parents.

This is a gripe I always had with Jo on the Facts of Life. Pride, self-reliance, whatever is fine when it's just you, but if you're messing with someone else's life, you get the money any way you can.

Denise actually tries to apply for financial aid, but the guy rightly points out that she has a doctor father and a lawyer mother and that aid money is for people who actually need it.

Some of her flakiness was part of her charm, but I think her character was a bit exhausting. Head in the clouds all the time with no self-awareness about the inconvenience she caused for other people.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Some of her flakiness was part of her charm, but I think her character was a bit exhausting. Head in the clouds all the time with no self-awareness about the inconvenience she caused for other people.

And this is precisely why I LOATHED this character!  I never found her flakiness or horrible style in clothing cute.

I was so glad she was gone so Seasons 2-6 could continue.

BTW, Whitley was 5 lbs. heavier in Season 1, plus they wrote her as a prude.  And yes, her hairstyles were awful.

• Love 1

I was so glad she was gone so Seasons 2-6 could continue.

I dunno, I would have liked to see her character evolve the same way we saw Whitley's did. But I guess we couldn't have both.

• Love 3

I notice that TV One doesn't exactly do the greatest job of showing the right episodes at the times they are scheduled.  I flipped over and it said they were showing "College Kid" (the episode with Billy Dee Williams), but I could tell instantly this was wrong because the scene was at Dwayne and Whitley's place and they're not even in the episode.  They were actually showing "A Rock, a River, a Lena."  I've seen them have problems with Living Single too.  I'm just glad that they didn't screw up when I was recording an episode to keep around!

• Love 2

Anybody have HBO Max?  If so, do you watch ADW?  Are the eppies uncut?

I saw Honeymoon in LA, Part One the other day at Dailymotion and they show the opening that I've never seen before, which is Whitley is dreaming about almost marrying Byron/marrying Dwayne and she wakes up and Dwayne greets her as Mrs. Wayne.

I took a quick look and most of the episodes look like they’re between 23 and 24 min, which I believe was standard running time back in the 1980s early 90s. But I saw at least one that was 21 min, so that’s likely a version edited for syndication. Not sure about the 22 min episodes, and there are some of those mixed in as well.

• Useful 1

So finally broke down and began to watch some of Season One....

IMO, the other cast members carried Lisa, as her acting was terrible!  Dwayne was Ducky from Pretty in Pink to Denise's Andi....he was a pathetic gnat around her and I'm so glad he ditched the 'Joe Knucklehead' persona when Season Two started.

Love Marisa Tomei but could...not...stand Maggie!  Gah, she was annoying af.

On 9/27/2021 at 1:27 PM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

So finally broke down and began to watch some of Season One....

IMO, the other cast members carried Lisa, as her acting was terrible!  Dwayne was Ducky from Pretty in Pink to Denise's Andi....he was a pathetic gnat around her and I'm so glad he ditched the 'Joe Knucklehead' persona when Season Two started.

Love Marisa Tomei but could...not...stand Maggie!  Gah, she was annoying af.

It's so hard to judge season 1 because the writing and characterization was so weak. 

I would have been interested to see what Lisa Bonet or Marisa Tomei's characters could have been under Debbie Allen's reign. Every character who stayed had an extraordinary improvement in story arc and general characterization in season 2 vs season 1.

• Love 3
On 8/11/2021 at 10:23 AM, ljenkins782 said:

Some of her flakiness was part of her charm, but I think her character was a bit exhausting

My 0.2 in regard to Denise was that they wrote her so differently, IMO from the Cosby show. I got the sense that she did well in high school, and she would have had to have high grades to apply to Hillman, plus have written an essay etc. Yet with her first year English class, when she is the bedroom with Claire going over an essay, she acts like she never read a book or has no clue how to formulate a single idea, and I am surprised that Claire would actually go over the paper with her instead of telling her to do it herself. I also am a bit surprised that anyone would think she or Jaleesa would have a problem with Maggie as a roommate. I am pretty sure they both had seen white people before, plus Denise, as well as all the Cosby kids, and their parents, had diverse groups of friends.

I liked the show until it became the Whitley and Dwayne show, and I think that is really insulting to the other characters, as well as ruining the show. Whitley was fine in small doses but she was not "trying to constantly learn and grow." She looked down on everyone that wasn't her from beginning to end, and had no problem voicing her opinions on everyone who wasn't her.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, susannah said:

My 0.2 in regard to Denise was that they wrote her so differently, IMO from the Cosby show. I got the sense that she did well in high school, and she would have had to have high grades to apply to Hillman, plus have written an essay etc. Yet with her first year English class, when she is the bedroom with Claire going over an essay, she acts like she never read a book or has no clue how to formulate a single idea, and I am surprised that Claire would actually go over the paper with her instead of telling her to do it herself. I also am a bit surprised that anyone would think she or Jaleesa would have a problem with Maggie as a roommate. I am pretty sure they both had seen white people before, plus Denise, as well as all the Cosby kids, and their parents, had diverse groups of friends.

I liked the show until it became the Whitley and Dwayne show, and I think that is really insulting to the other characters, as well as ruining the show. Whitley was fine in small doses but she was not "trying to constantly learn and grow." She looked down on everyone that wasn't her from beginning to end, and had no problem voicing her opinions on everyone who wasn't her.

If you're referring to the earlier comments in this thread on this topic, no one was suggesting that they'd "have a problem" with it, we were expressing surprise that it wasn't mentioned. It's a historically black college where the population is going to be nearly all black, it would be a surprise for a white person to show up as your new roommate.

And frankly, it would have been more interesting if they had addressed it (the way Debbie Allen has indicated that she wanted to, to tackle the subject of racism from all sides.) 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

If you're referring to the earlier comments in this thread on this topic, no one was suggesting that they'd "have a problem" with it, we were expressing surprise that it wasn't mentioned. It's a historically black college where the population is going to be nearly all black, it would be a surprise for a white person to show up as your new roommate.

And frankly, it would have been more interesting if they had addressed it (the way Debbie Allen has indicated that she wanted to, to tackle the subject of racism from all sides.) 

Except that it wasn't all black. It showed a number of white students there, that were never mentioned.

15 minutes ago, susannah said:

Except that it wasn't all black. It showed a number of white students there, that were never mentioned.

Yes, that's why I said "nearly all black" in the post that you quoted. 

Black students choose HBCUs to have a place where they aren't a minority, where there is a shared history and culture. For a white (or any non-black) person to make the choice to attend one, there has to be a reason.

There are hundreds of colleges where Maggie could have pursued journalism, why did she choose Hillman in particular? I would have been interested to know how she came to that decision.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Yes, that's why I said "nearly all black" in the post that you quoted. 

Black students choose HBCUs to have a place where they aren't a minority, where there is a shared history and culture. For a white (or any non-black) person to make the choice to attend one, there has to be a reason.

There are hundreds of colleges where Maggie could have pursued journalism, why did she choose Hillman in particular? I would have been interested to know how she came to that decision.

She was passing and wanted the ultimate test.

• LOL 2
8 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Black students choose HBCUs to have a place where they aren't a minority, where there is a shared history and culture

That is rather a generalized statement. I am pretty sure no one can speak for countless other people and know exactly why they go to this college or that one. Especially on a fictional show.

9 hours ago, susannah said:

That is rather a generalized statement. I am pretty sure no one can speak for countless other people and know exactly why they go to this college or that one. Especially on a fictional show.

Yes, there is a wealth of evidence on this topic for real life HBCUs, so it IS possible to know why people make certain choices and extrapolate that to this fictional world modeled on those real life places. 

It's such an odd hill to die on to insist that Maggie's attendance at Hillman was perfectly ordinary and wouldn't have provoked comment. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Yes, there is a wealth of evidence on this topic for real life HBCUs, so it IS possible to know why people make certain choices and extrapolate that to this fictional world modeled on those real life places. 

It's such an odd hill to die on to insist that Maggie's attendance at Hillman was perfectly ordinary and wouldn't have provoked comment. 

I am not insisting on anything. I am sure there is evidence that many many people chose those colleges for those reasons. No one though can speak for all people who attended those schools, black or white, or  that all of them thought that white people had no business coming to that school. It seems as though if they felt that way, they wouldn't allow white students to enroll.

On 10/14/2021 at 2:36 PM, susannah said:

I am not insisting on anything. I am sure there is evidence that many many people chose those colleges for those reasons. No one though can speak for all people who attended those schools, black or white, or  that all of them thought that white people had no business coming to that school. It seems as though if they felt that way, they wouldn't allow white students to enroll.

Again, the main point was that it was surprising that it was NEVER even commented on that Maggie was white when she was brought on as a new roommate, in contrast with the extensive commentary about Jaleesa being "older" and being divorced. 

It had ZERO to do with anyone having a "problem" or thinking white people "had no business coming to that school." 

It was merely surprising that no conversation was ever had about the very deliberate choice Maggie would have made to choose Hillman over any other school. 

On 10/20/2021 at 9:32 AM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Does anyone here have a Hillman t-shirt?  They sell them at Amazon and yes, I purchased one....I thought it would be snug against 'the girls' but it fits me to a (heh!) tee.

Sad that when I wore it out not one person got the reference.

I don't have one...yet. I had plans to buy a cropped sweatshirt from Etsy last year, but by the time I got around to actually doing it, they'd stopped selling it. 😟 Didn't realize they had on amazon though.

I have an episode on TV One right now, and not only are they advertising an upcoming series premiere of a show in text in the corner of the screen above the logo (not that unusual, and I can accept it), but for the ENTIRE show they have a huge color graphic featuring a photo of the new show's host in the upper right-hand corner (and closer to the center of the screen than the corner really), covering characters' faces many times!  😡 This is ridiculous!  I suppose if the new show is successful, it will become a trend and they'll do it every time something has a season/series premiere.  The commercial breaks during the episodes are like five minutes long--there should be plenty of time to advertise then!

• Love 2

KWALKER!  You have NO fucking idea how pissed I was this morning, this shit happened during my fave eppies, Kiss You Back and Conflict of Interest.

Damn, I'll watch the show if TVOne would just get A.J. Johnson's lizard faced logo off the fucking screen!!

• Love 2