Type keyword(s) to search

A Different World - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 2/20/2019 at 2:55 PM, Snow Apple said:

Maybe Hillman has an excellent program for Maggie's major. It was odd without Maggie and Denise when the second season started. But now it's odd watching the first season in reruns.

I don't question why Maggie might have chosen the school, I just thought it was strange that they showed no surprise when she showed up. Especially after Denise was so thrown off by Jaleesa being a mere few years older and having been married. 

What was Marisa Tomei's reason for leaving the show? I know why Lisa Bonet left, but not Marisa. My Cousin Vinny wasn't until a few years later, IIRC, was she let go or did she quit? 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I believe they said on the Unsung Hollywood episode about the show that she was let go.  I don't really remember any details, except that Kadeem Hardison consoled her by telling her she would win an Oscar someday.

Well this is interesting. I just googled out of curiosity and this article says something I never heard before:

1. THE ORIGINAL PREMISE WAS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

In the very, very beginning, A Different World was envisioned as a show about a white girl’s experiences while attending a historically black college. Meg Ryan was originally cast in the lead as Maggie Lauten, but before the pilot she decided to step away from television and concentrate on films. So the setup changed and the series became about Denise adjusting to life away from her family, and the character of Maggie (now played by Marisa Tomei) had a smaller role as Denise’s roommate.

I'm not 100% sure I can believe this (particularly since later in the article, it makes reference to Cree Summer being in Michael Jackson's Black or White video, which she was not, so their fact checking may be spotty). Also, if it was a vehicle for Lisa Bonet, why would the focus be on someone else? 

• Love 1

I've been rewatching one episode a week for several years, and finally got to the wedding episode!  (Though it's not like I haven't seen it umpteen times.)  One thing I just noticed that I thought was funny is that when Ron and Kim are joining the other characters in following Dwayne and Whitley back up the aisle after Rev. Soams marries them, Ron taunts the guys who had tried to stop Dwayne from getting down the aisle to Whitley (and had tussled with Ron).  I had previously noticed that one of the guys actually claps for Dwayne and Whitley when they go by, which I find hilarious.

I also hadn't realized that when Dwayne first starts going down the aisle and making his plea, there is a camera flash from Velma Gaines deciding to capture that moment.  I knew that she snapped Marion fainting after Dwayne says, "Hey Ma!" but not that.

• Love 1
On 2/28/2019 at 2:23 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Well this is interesting. I just googled out of curiosity and this article says something I never heard before:

I'm not 100% sure I can believe this (particularly since later in the article, it makes reference to Cree Summer being in Michael Jackson's Black or White video, which she was not, so their fact checking may be spotty). Also, if it was a vehicle for Lisa Bonet, why would the focus be on someone else? 

I really thought Lisa Bonet really had it in her to be a big star. She was the only one of the Cosby kids to have an X factor. Don’t get me wrong, this show was a million times better without her but I always thought Denise was interesting until she became an entitled flake.

That's too bad, though I didn't get that channel anyway.  BET Her hasn't shown it for a while, so now it's only on BET for two episodes very early Monday mornings.  When I was looking for the Laff schedule recently to see if they still had it, I found that the show actually airs a lot on BET Canada. 

It would have been nice if BET or maybe BET Her had shown a marathon of Ms. Carroll's episodes to honor her.  It looks like BET is still just showing a couple of random episodes early Monday morning each week.  She (as well as the writers) did a wonderful job bringing humor and grace to a character that could have been unsympathetic in the wrong hands.  It was pushing it when Marion tried to break up Dwayne and Whitley with the fake fiancé, but that episode still had great moments with the food fight with Adele, their commiserating in the jail cell and eventual truce, and the tentative understanding with Whitley.  I enjoyed the running gag throughout the years of Marion not being able to remember the names of those not of a certain social standing (such as Kim and Freddie) and Adele ("Adelaide") finally retaliating by repeatedly calling Marion "Mona."

My favorite appearance of Ms. Carroll on this show was the wedding episode, not only for her reactions at the wedding ("I will!" "Die, just die!" and the fainting) but just her lines throughout the whole show, with all the snide comments about her ex and Monica ("Well, if it isn't Winter and Spring," telling Mr. Gaines "Maybe you can cater my ex-husband's new wife's Sweet 16," telling Monica, "You look as scrumptious as a piece of pastry.  A tart") and also meeting Shazza with confusion and saying she didn't think she'd hired a reggae band!  Just hilarious.

• Love 6

Although I don't think they've aired the show on TV for quite some time, BET is offering groupings of 10 episodes of Different World at a time on demand.  Right now it looks like they're showing from season 2, episode 14 through the third season premiere.

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

This is one of the few shows I would love to see a reboot or at least a "where are they now" episode. 

Same. I was really hoping they would have gotten the green light for one a couple of years ago, which would have been right on target for Dwayne and Whitley's daughter to be a freshman, but no such luck.  Although Grownish is a decent-ish substitute. They've certainly been trying to capture some of the essence of a A Different World during this last season.

• Love 1

TV One has reacquired the rights to A Different World, and is airing it weekday mornings from 3 to 5 AM Pacific (I think 6 to 8 AM Eastern, as I think there's only one feed) and then rerunning those episodes later in the day at 4 to 6 PM Eastern/1 to 3 PM Pacific.  I don't know when they started this as the show hadn't been on channels I get for so long that I had stopped looking.  Right now they are in the middle of season 4, but next week they are stopping right before Dwayne and Whitley's break-up and going back to the beginning of the series!  I hope that won't be a regular thing, as they at least need to show the wedding.

• Useful 2
On 2/27/2019 at 6:27 PM, ljenkins782 said:

I don't question why Maggie might have chosen the school, I just thought it was strange that they showed no surprise when she showed up. Especially after Denise was so thrown off by Jaleesa being a mere few years older and having been married. 

What was Marisa Tomei's reason for leaving the show? I know why Lisa Bonet left, but not Marisa. My Cousin Vinny wasn't until a few years later, IIRC, was she let go or did she quit? 

Debbie Allen had said that whites did go to HBC's...and she said she wanted to keep Maggie on the show..and show how racism is a 2 way street.  But Marisa opted to leave the show after the 1st season.

Had Ms. Allen been show runner on season 1...I think Denise and jalissa would have had a reaction to having a white roommate,  etc.

On 3/27/2021 at 11:43 AM, JAYJAY1979 said:

Debbie Allen had said that whites did go to HBC's...and she said she wanted to keep Maggie on the show..and show how racism is a 2 way street.  But Marisa opted to leave the show after the 1st season.

Had Ms. Allen been show runner on season 1...I think Denise and jalissa would have had a reaction to having a white roommate,  etc.

I wonder why they didn't replace her with a white actress then? Maybe Kim's cousin Matthew was supposed to fill that role in a limited way? They didn't use him too much, but his character did inspire that great moment between Kim and Shazza when he called her out for dating a white guy and she shut him straight down.

• Love 2
On 3/29/2021 at 9:00 PM, ljenkins782 said:

I wonder why they didn't replace her with a white actress then? Maybe Kim's cousin Matthew was supposed to fill that role in a limited way? They didn't use him too much, but his character did inspire that great moment between Kim and Shazza when he called her out for dating a white guy and she shut him straight down.

"The only thing real about you are your green eyes!" 

I loved Kim calling out that pretentious hypocrite. He's the one main/recurring character I couldn't stand on that show. Other characters can be unpleasant (I'm not fond of Kinu) but I just hated him.

• Love 2

I have been rewatching the series on tvone and amazon prime and I find myself annoyed.....with everyone but Whitley.

It really seems to me that Whitley is the most picked on character on this show! Even when shes right...shes wrong. Im not saying shes the nicest woman in the world or that shes without her faults but for example:

Whitley is putting on her first art show. She discovers a new artist and begs him to be in the show. He supplies a painting that a member of the art board finds offensive.  Whitley tries to stand up for the artist and is shut down. Shes clearly upset. Not a single so called friend comes to comfort her or offer advice on what she should do. Freddie gets in her face and says that shes protesting and Jaleesa storms off off after her. Whitley asks her boyfriend for advice and support and...nope. Nothing from that corner.

Example 2. Whitley is on the phone with her mother basically begging her to come home for Christmas. She refuses. Whitley is CLEARLY upset. Freddie invites herself over to Whitleys home for the holidays. Whitley snaps something mean and Kim says something mean to Whitley and chases after Freddie. Whitley is upset as well. But somehow Whitley is the problem in this situation?

There are a million more examples: (a lot of them involving Freddie--which is why I really dont like Freddie this rewatch) but here are two more

When Jaleesa and Whitley are choreographing a step show and Freddie cant get the steps right and Whitley (rudely and meanly) tells Freddie to quit and Jaleesa kicks Whitley off the squad even though EVERYONE has told Freddie to quit. Somehow when Whitley does the very same thing shes wrong?

And finally--this is a Kim one--Big Sister Oh Gorgeous One. Whitley is in charge of the pledges including Kim. Whitley doesn't seem to be doing anything more out of line than the other sororities, she seems WAY more laid back than Ron and she even explains that this is how she was treated as a pledge.  Every time you look u Freddie is once again in Whitleys face screaming about how shes treating Kim and then Kim leads a a rebellion in the middle of The Pit making Whitley a laughing stock all over campus. 

I say it again. Whitley wasnt perfect. But she got treated like crap a lot by people who are supposed to be her friends.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Is it weird that the wedding episode is the first one I ever saw? Yes, I discovered the show by accident; it was summer break and I was flipping channels, and any time there’s a wedding on TV it automatically gets my attention. Needless to say, even though I didn’t know who any of the characters were or what was going on, I was automatically hooked.

Just goes to show you that sometimes channel flipping is like fate guiding your hand🤣🤣🤣

And even though the 90s poofy sleeves were dated, to say the least, Whitley’s dress was still gorgeous.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

They will be showing the wedding on TVONE today. I have been waiting for this ever since the channel started airing the show.

Yup! Also happy they’ll have the Honeymoon in LA episodes too, since it’s now more timely than ever.

Not gonna lie, I was legitimately scared for both of them being stranded in the middle of all those riots. And poor Dwayne getting pulled over by the cops being accused of stealing their pink car.

• Love 2

I was very excited to see the wedding episode, though I'll have to watch part 2 on the DVR because I couldn't watch it at 3:30.  Back in the '90s when the show was first in syndication (pre airing on TBS or other cable networks), I could only see it when visiting my aunt in the Bay Area, and would record the episodes at her house.  But the wedding episode would never come up when I was there.  Eventually I found out when it and the episode where Dwayne and Whitley finally got together were going to air by putting her zip code and cable into a listings site, so I wrote to her asking if she would tape them.  I think this was before she had E-mail, so I'm glad the listings were far enough in advance for my letter to get there!  She said that after she recorded part one of the wedding episode, she was checking to make sure it recorded and got sucked in by Dwayne and Whitley's conversation in the garden.  Then she had to see part 2 to find out what happened!

Today when I was watching part 1 and they got to the sappy part with Whitley and Byron, I was making smart-ass comments.  Like when he said he liked calling Whitley Mrs. Douglas, I said, "Don't get used to it."  And then she kept saying, "I do" and kissing him and I was like, "Yeah, but you're not gonna say it when you're at the altar!"  I know it sucks for Byron getting dumped at the altar and he was a nice man, but I think that when you've just started dating someone and she sleeps with her ex-fiancé. it just might be a possible red flag!  So maybe wait and see how the relationship goes for a while (if you even stay with her) instead of proposing a couple months later just because you're excited about winning the election.  When the episode first aired, I was on the edge of my seat worried about what the outcome would be though.  A teacher asked what happened the next day (she had recorded it) and I said Whitley married Dwayne and she was like, "Of course."  I guess I lacked her insight, or I was too worried because things hadn't turned out so good with other TV couples I liked.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, KWalkerInc said:

I know it sucks for Byron getting dumped at the altar and he was a nice man, but I think that when you've just started dating someone and she sleeps with her ex-fiancé. it just might be a possible red flag!  So maybe wait and see how the relationship goes for a while (if you even stay with her) instead of proposing a couple months later just because you're excited about winning the election.

Bingo. And that’s kind of on Whitley too: maybe don’t rush into marriage with another guy after you just broke off your engagement. Just saying 🤷‍♀️ 

And I just realized that Whitley’s homeless buddy in the LA episode was the voice of King Triton in The Little Mermaid!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3

Whitley should have thought twice about accepting Byron's proposal after she had to look at Dwayne for his reaction for what felt like an eternity before giving her answer.  I think they skipped that episode for some reason, but I can picture it.  (He did eventually look crushed, but that was after she said yes and wasn't looking at him anymore.)  Whitley had always been raised to believe she was supposed to live a nice, comfortable life with a wealthy and successful man, and she probably thought that was the best way to try to get over Dwayne.  Even in the first part of the wedding episode, she's very focused on the wedding and not thinking about what would happen next, and Kim kind of gently asks, "And after the party's over?" and she doesn't reply.  (Also it's funny when Whitley is gushing about the governor possibly attending and Gina is excited because he's single.)

• Love 2

I don’t know how I feel about Ron and Freddie ending up together, but aside from them messing behind Kim’s back, I liked that Ron and Kim still behaved like adults and ended things amicably because they both realized that they liked the chase more than the actual relationship.

• Love 1

I kind of liked Ron and Freddie, but most of my friends back then were not exactly thrilled with the storyline (not that it made them angry, they just found it boring).  A friend I watched some episodes with the last time TV One had the show wanted Kim with Ron, presumably because she likes Kim more than Freddie.  I said that Kim deserved better than how he treated her (even before Freddie, saying he was only mostly faithful during the summer after the whole thing about how he'd prove he could be her man), and that Kim got a good guy (which is hopefully easier to follow now that they appear to be putting the episodes back in the right order, not the way they aired or sticking the unaired ones after the finale).  I think the Ron/Freddie highlight was when she picked him in the Christmas episode and went running to him at International Cottage of Flapjacks, and Whitley broke into "Joy to the World"!

Last night "Original Teacher" was on, and it reminded me of a weird moment from the episode.  Dean Davenport starts hitting on Col. Taylor.  He seems a little taken aback, and then Freddie starts congratulating him like he's still got it.  Nobody tells the dean he is married.  I know they chose to never mention Jaleesa again after season 5, but I don't know what to make of this scene.  Did they divorce and split custody of their daughter?  I wouldn't have a problem with that, and it makes more sense than Jaleesa being around but never seen, but they could have at least made it clear.  When I watched season 6 on my VHS tapes the last time, I tried for a while to see if Col. Taylor was wearing a ring, but I think I forgot to check after a while.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I think the Ron/Freddie highlight was when she picked him in the Christmas episode and went running to him at International Cottage of Flapjacks, and Whitley broke into "Joy to the World"!

Lol that was hilarious.

And I agree, sexy Spencer was definitely an upgrade for Kim. Plus Ron did have actual growth with Freddie. So everything worked out for the best.

Speaking of the Christmas episode, what happened to Dwayne and Whitely’s puppy? It only appeared in one episode after that. I’ll just assume they took him with them to Japan.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

LOL @ how Whitley pronounced flapjacks!

I liked White Christmas also, especially with the scene where Joni told Freddie that while she didn’t think Ron was good for her, she understood and told her to go for it anyway.

I believe the puppy was seen one final time, maybe in the Lean on Me eppy?  I do remember seeing it.

I didn’t like Dean Davenport hitting on Colonel Taylor, the man was married.  I also didn’t like TPTB acting like Jaleesa didn’t exist after Dawnn Lewis left the show.

• Love 2
On 4/25/2021 at 10:33 PM, hiisa said:

I have been rewatching the series on tvone and amazon prime and I find myself annoyed.....with everyone but Whitley.

There are a million more examples: (a lot of them involving Freddie--which is why I really dont like Freddie this rewatch) but here are two more

When Jaleesa and Whitley are choreographing a step show and Freddie cant get the steps right and Whitley (rudely and meanly) tells Freddie to quit and Jaleesa kicks Whitley off the squad even though EVERYONE has told Freddie to quit. Somehow when Whitley does the very same thing shes wrong?

Everyone didn't tell Freddie to quit...besides Whitley, it was Kelly who commented "You do?" when Freddie said that she practiced a lot better when she wasn't being insulted. 

On 5/6/2021 at 11:06 AM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

LOL @ how Whitley pronounced flapjacks!

I liked White Christmas also, especially with the scene where Joni told Freddie that while she didn’t think Ron was good for her, she understood and told her to go for it anyway.

I believe the puppy was seen one final time, maybe in the Lean on Me eppy?  I do remember seeing it.

I didn’t like Dean Davenport hitting on Colonel Taylor, the man was married.  I also didn’t like TPTB acting like Jaleesa didn’t exist after Dawnn Lewis left the show.

I watch the show on Amazon Prime, but I think the show starts to slide for me with the departure of Walter (one of my favorite episodes is his send-off).

The Byron stuff doesn't really grab me, so with the exception of the wedding episodes, I'm kinda meh on season 5 and season 6 isn't even on my radar. I remember the LA riots episodes seeming weird because of the style they were filmed in, it was very "cable access/home movie" looking.

I didn't even remember that Dawnn Lewis left the show. Jaleesa was only a fun character during the Walter years, I loved those two together and she was much looser and funnier when he was around. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Ooh “No Means No” is on tonight! That was one of the best episodes. Especially now.

I know it’s inappropriate, but I always crack up how after Dwayne screams “GO FREDDIE GO!” he gets stuck in the sunroof and promptly starts screaming “WAIT FREDDIE WAIT!”

Boy, Freddie went through so many transitions from geeky freshman to hippie to legal eagle. The show did it so naturally though.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Jaleesa was only a fun character during the Walter years, I loved those two together and she was much looser and funnier when he was around. 

I loved how she would laugh so genuinely at his jokes and comments, like he really cracked her up and she enjoyed being around him.  Even if they weren't going to end up married (and maybe it was just too soon for that), they could have still kept dating.  It was stupid that Walter decided to propose because he won a honeymoon from a car wash when he knew he didn't really want that much of a commitment, so they sent them to the altar just so they could break them up for good.  They may have wanted more focus on Dwayne and Whitley and I loved them, but they didn't even get together for another year, so no real reason to end Jaleesa and Walter.  I didn't care for her marriage to Col. Taylor at all.  They'd had one date (and little prior interaction) that ended with him throwing his back out, and that's supposed to lead to a lifetime commitment?  Plus they were always bickering or whining.  I think that all just came about because they wanted a shocking twist for the season 5 premiere--they leaked that someone got married so fans would think it was Dwayne and Whitley, only for this to happen.

• Love 4

UO but I liked Brad and Jaleesa together...what sucked was how she sort of became a Stepford wife, losing her feistiness after she became Mrs. Vinson-Taylor.

Worse ADW character?  That @%&*$^ Charmaine!  OMG, how I couldn't stand her.

• Love 2

I'm not a Ron fan but I can't decide how I feel about the series finale when he threw out the idea of the grammar baseball game. On the one hand, it's his idea but he didn't have the skills or knowledge to make it a reality. On the other hand, Dwayne did all the work but wouldn't have made the game if Ron didn't say anything that triggered the idea. 

So maybe Ron deserved something, but not an equal share of the credit or profit.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

UO but I liked Brad and Jaleesa together...what sucked was how she sort of became a Stepford wife, losing her feistiness after she became Mrs. Vinson-Taylor.

The first time I heard Charmaine speak, I just thought “OMG it’s Dijonay from The Proud Family!” Same actress and pretty much same character LOL

• LOL 1

All right. Im going to just say it.

I have a UO. Ive been dwelling on this for some days so here we go.

I don't think Whitley and Dwayne should have gotten back together. 

Ok. Hear me out, Im going all the way back. I think Dwayne was always intended to be the ML for this show and Whitley was introduced as the anti-Denise. Her family was just as well off but where the wealth and privelege made Denise naive but down to earth it made Whitley insufferable. 

Season 2 we dont have Denise anymore so we dont have a need for a foil for the character. I think the show runners were trying to make Dawnn Lewis pop off as it seems like a majority of the eps were about her.  And Whitley seemed a foil to common sense and decency. By the time season 3 arrived Whitley seemed the clear choice for FL paired with Dwayne but for whatever reason they werent all in. There are several eps that seem to be testing the crowd and chemistey with Dwayne and Kim. Midway through season 3 it seems settled. The leads are Dwayne and Whitley. But theyve spent 3 seasons developing Dwaynes character while Whitley still seems to be mainly a foil. Her character growth seems to have been shortchanged for jokes and to prop other characters up (see just about every interaction between Whitley and any of the other female leads). So by this point Dwayne is heralded as this desirable man: smartest guy on campus, bright future, he even looks good! All Whitley can offer is her looks.  The relationship is constantly unbalanced with Dwayne being held up as a standard Whitley can barely dream of meeting. 

Season 4 they finally get together and in a fight we have Whitley on her hands and knees clutching at Dwaynes legs literally begging him not to leave her. When they break up its because Whitley isnt enough.

I dont think they should have gotten back togethet because I dont think Dwayne liked or respected Whitley as a person. He enjoyed dating the finest woman on campus but I dont think that's enough. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Maybe ADW just isnt good at writing female characters in relationships? They took the fierce Jaleesa and made her into a baby talking stepford house wife and the same can be said of Whitley once she falls in love with Dwayne.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm not a Ron fan but I can't decide how I feel about the series finale when he threw out the idea of the grammar baseball game. On the one hand, it's his idea but he didn't have the skills or knowledge to make it a reality. On the other hand, Dwayne did all the work but wouldn't have made the game if Ron didn't say anything that triggered the idea. 

So maybe Ron deserved something, but not an equal share of the credit or profit.

Watched When One Door Closes just last night.

IMO, Ron was entitled to half, because it was his idea.  He and Dwayne were riffing about Grammar Boy....now, while Dwayne did make their talk into reality, like Whitley reminded him in Part 2, it came about because of Ron.

Part one is hard to watch due to their brutal argument at the Pit.  I thought Dwayne was being an ass and if I were Ron our friendship would have been over right then and there.

Speaking of which, I never liked how Dwayne always talked down to Ron.  Yes, Ron could be irresponsible but he always had Dwayne's back.

• Love 1

I don't recall Dwayne and Whitley being end game..or hinted at being end game till at least season 3.

Season 2 had Freddie interested in Dwayne with Whitley even giving her a makeover in one episode to impress Dwayne. 

1st time I noticed hints of Dwayne/Whitley was when they went to visit Denise.  And he was hoping to resume things till he met her husband.  And Whitley provided him a shoulder to cry on after they left.  I remember thinking 'they'll be a couple'.

And I do agree that Whitley was a spoiler in the early seasons..but one season 1 episode that showed Whitley was more than a joke was the Rudy episode.  How warm and sisterly she was..and it showed Whitley had a heart.

• Love 4

Well see now, this is my whole point, though. Whitley wasnt endgame/FL until midway through season 3 (they still seemed to be flirting with Dwayne and Kim in the beginning there) so he had 3 whole seasons of character development that Whitley doesnt get. We have moments where she has a heart but I think Whitley being such a likeable character comes down to Jasmine Guy--not the writers. 

When they do settle on Whitley as the FL opposite Dwayne its like they think its too late to give her proper development since shes been the villain/diva since season 1 so they just--lean in to her not being good enough for him. 

I was thinking back to Julian and Byron. Whitley demanded respect from them. I remember the episode where Kim gets the scholarship and Julian was gungho that Kim had to give it back and Whitley telling him that she was like him--she didnt need financial aid and she wasnt about to tell people who did need it where to get it or that they couldnt have it. I thought that was a great Whitley episode. Whitley made it very clear that while she was against apartheid she was also 100% team Kim and her argument was that you could be both but whatever Kim decided Whitley would be on her side regardless. She very firmly put him in his place amd kept it moving, and remained in a relationship with him. A standout Byron momemt for me is when she wears a fur to a fundraiser and the woman jumped all over her. She turned to Byron expecting support and he didnt give it to her--he told her she needed to up her game if she was going to be a helpmeet and not a hindrance. Whitley was insulted and she left but she thought about it. She thought about who and what she wanted to be in his life and changed accordingly. She wanted to be his partner not his plaything. And the next morning he came to apologize for snapping at her like thst. She accepted the apology and SHOWED him that she had changed. That night was another fundraising event and the same fur woman popped off at Whitley and she said! "I already have a fur so why dont you get off my back?" And then talked her into donating to Byrons campaign.

They showed so many instances of Whitley being a strong--flawed--black woman. But when shes with Dwayne all of that seems forgotten.  The Whitley that clutches Dwayne around the legs and begs him not to leave her is not the same woman who dated Julian and Byron. Maybe she felt insecure because everyone seems to think that Dwayne is out of her league?

And another thing (sorry, I had surgery this week and have nothing to do but think of "....and another things!") ! I think the show was trying to show us that Mrs. Wayne was being unreasonable with her Whitley hatred by showing how much Mama Wayne acted like her own hated mother in law. But I thought her hatred of Whitley was just so over the top! When they first met Whitley wasnt insulting her by thinking she was the maid she was happy the boys had finally gotten one! But nothing she did was ever good enough. 

• Love 1

Naw....when Whitley first met Adele, she was unnecessarily snooty; from her haughty "FINALLY!" when Adele let her into the apartment to her condescendingly spelling out her name for Adele to remember her.  Ut-uh, I would have held a grudge towards her too.

• Love 2

I think it has to be agree to disagree for me! As a person with a name that people dont hear often amd often misspell (and accuse me of misspelling)  I didnt find Whitley automatically spelling her name ouy condescending at all! She probably gets called Whitney all the time and she was making sure she knew that wasnt her name. And its the holding of the grudge thats just over the top to me. Its one thing to be irritated with Whitley when they first meet but to go out of her way to make Whitley feel badly--especially when Whitley is bending over backwards to get Adele to like her especially after Dwayne tells her specifically to knock it off and that he loves Whitley? Unnecessarily mean.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

It's been 30 years since they made a video time capsule in that one episode. I can't believe how time went by so fast, although the show doesn't seem dated except for technology.

"And action!"  It cracked me up the way Whitley said it.

• LOL 3