Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Bait And Stitch

• Start Topic

I had a japanese paper bag jumpsuit in the early eighties I still miss, but I've aged out of the figure they're forgiving for. I really did love it, though.

I had one too! The color was a dusty green, just different enough from the color of scrubs so I didn't look like I was coming out of surgery. I loved that garment and wore the hell out of it in the eighties. It had an extra flap over the bodice so it was perfect for nursing wee ones in public without getting undressed above the waist.

• Love 1

I figured one of those pants outfits would go home. Are pantsuits popular again? Everyone seems to like doing those.

Probably for a few reasons--a 1970s influence has been making the rounds, plus you can get the aesthetic of a dress while showing you know how to construct pants. Not tailored pants, but pants nonetheless. While a jumpsuit is probably like breathing for skilled designers, I doubt it's easier than a dress. Within my first couple weeks of ever touching a sewing machine, I made a dress without a pattern, and it's fabulous if I say so myself. I don't know where to start with a jumpsuit, not that I would like one.

Alyssa's awful silhouette was bad enough, but then at the end I saw it also had an unforgivable outside zipper.

I love them. In fact, when some event or another calls for a dress that I feel is a bit bland for my taste, the exposed zipper makes me feel better. Better yet if that zipper is some big industrial-looking metal thing. Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

I think we are hanging out with the same people. I do like the look and idea of a jumpsuit, but yeah, I don't know anyone who wears them. I think Project Runway is responsible for them making a comeback. Remember way back in Season 2 when the contestants all had to design an outfit for a co-contestant and someone designed a jumpsuit and the judges thought it was original? I think that was the start of it. Oh, I also blame Project Runway for making peplum a thing. Who wears anything with peplum?

Too many people. They've been in stores for the last decade, even like the inexpensive teenager stores. I am a short person with very long legs so they do me no favors, I tell you! But I don't like them anyway; too froofy for me.

Edited by TattleTeeny

I was so glad that Megan pointed out the fact that that jumpsuit (ugh, stop with the jumpsuits already.  They marginally better than drop crotch pants and exposed zippers, but only marginally) was for an 18 year old with no chest.  Precious Sam's dress was the same way.  Why cant these designers realize that they will not be selling clothes to model type customers only?

I was kind of amused about Sam and Kini complaining about each others crappy fabric,

To be fair, they are designing something to be worn by a model with no more flesh than a coat-hanger. Quite a few styles that would look good on a "real woman" aren't going to work great on the model and therefore will not show well. Now I know that most of them can't design for a real woman when they have one, but designing an outfit that works best on a flat cheated young woman when you will have a flat chested young'ish woman wearing it on the runway does make some sense.

Sam and Kini.... couldn't have been an accident that the 2 of them had to swap. Either producer manipulation to drive more fabric vs design drama, or maybe everyone else saw that both fabrics were blah and steered clear of them! I'm going with the first, since Kini is all: "He picked the fabric but it was MY design" for that other challenge. Ok, Kini... here's some fabric Sam picked. Go design something great from it! And Sam.. here's some fabric someone else picked, so people can't say the fabric did all the work for you. I think it was intended to make Kini look bad (and it did) and provide some redemption for Sam.. which sorta failed (I thought the dress did flow beautifully as the model walked, but we've seen that look from Sam a number of times now)

Dom:  I'm glad she won.  She did something interesting with what she was given, rather than complaining that this isn't exactly what she would have picked.  The outfit was pretty, flattering, and not run of the mill.

Ken:  I really liked his outfit.  Sure, the shape was fairly standard but he did something with neoprene that wasn't a boxy jacket or a sheath dress.  He, like Dom, took what he was given and made it sing.

Emily:  She spent too much time whining.  In the end, she pulled off a nice outfit but if she'd have used some of that time she wasted more productively, she could have fixed some of the issues.  I liked how she lined up the circles at the waist.

Emily: I don't equate sinking into despair and freezing up with "whining". Layana is a whiner. I don't think Emily was whining. She was panicking and sinking rapidly.

Ken: Yep.. he buckled down and made it work. I guess it could be dinner at the captains table on a cruise after you've left the resort "resort wear". I wonder if they included Ken on the show in order to give him a redemption arc or because they thought he would bring the drama and he's not doing his part to advance that producer manipulation story-line?

Dom: Agree. not the color combination I would ever choose, but she got handed it and transformed it. Loved the top; Loved the black and white strip belt detail. The skirt was a little overwrought, but thought went into it and she had ideas... unlike some of the other contestants. She deserved to be rewarded. I think on the right dark skin tone, the dramatic color would be very effective

This is INSPIRED and I'm going to spend the rest of the season writing fanfic about what Fade would have made. 

Fade had a unique POV. Like or or hate it, he had ideas beyond the snoozefest that is what some of these designers are limited to. Valerie's clothes are well made, but usually nothing new or fresh. I miss Fade. I have this memory (that I don't care enough to go back and watch again to check) that when he was auf'ed, all we saw was Alyssa saying something like "It's time for you to leave the runway" and not getting up to hug him. Did I miss something or did anyone else feel tension there with no explanation?

Okay - I'm going to confess that I do own a jumpsuit.  I bought it last year, it's a basic black, sleeveless, criss-cross top (faux wrap), with wide legs, elastic at the waist and pockets.  I have worn that jumpsuit four or five times since I bought it last winter.  I have dressed it up, with a beaded belt, sparkly shoes and accessories and a great vintage sequined jacket that was my Mom's, and I have dressed it down with a fun leather belt and strappy summer sandals and a bright colored wrap/pashmina shawl and chunky bright colored accessories.  

I love that the right jumpsuit is forgiving to many body types, if it's a full coverage top, you can wear a regular bra, no Spanx necessary, and you don't have to wear stockings (or spray tan) for your winter legs.  I love how comfortable it is, compared to a cocktail dress, and pockets...pockets just make me happy!!

ETA: I just remembered that I have another strapless (smocking along the top), wide leg jumpsuit (again, elastic blouson waist and pockets!!)  that I wear when I vacation, so I guess it would be considered "resort-wear".  Again, with pockets and super comfortable and cool to wear in the Caribbean.  

So, I guess I'm one of the few people who do like jumpsuits, LOL!!!   :-)

I'm one of the other few!

I used to wear jumpsuits to work in when I painted stage scenery or worked on shows in other capacities. There's often plenty of crawling around, over, and under stuff, plus climbing ladders and scaffolding. Tight pants get uncomfortable when they are wet from paint splatters and hard to move in if they are restrictive, but loose pants don't stay in place and tops ride up (never a good thing for a woman on an all male crew).

A lightweight loose tank-top knit jumpsuit with a t-shirt underneath works well for painting, and a more durable one is good for things like climbing ladders to hang lights or crawling under platforms to run electrical. You don't have to get completely undressed because you have a shirt on, so it's not THAT different than letting down your pants to pee. They are cooler than jeans for outdoor stuff and can be layered for working in colder situations. No one else I knew ever wore them, but I loved them for work. I always got them opening down the front.

For dressy, I think a well cut stretchy jumpsuit is great for dancing for many of the same reasons.. easy movement and no issues with straying tops and waistbands. No muffin top. The long lines look great on the dance floor.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 3

Brocade, denim, and upholstery for resort wear?  That was a built-in obstacle from the get-go, so I suspected a further complication right away.  The challenge I'd like to see is for each contestant to be given identical fabric to work with.  Then the spotlight would truly be on design, not fabric choice.  

My heart is sad for Kini.  I really, really liked both his personality and his designs on his season, although his finale show disappointed; this season, he seems to have run out of ideas altogether and also to be thrown way off balance by brat-boy Sam.  At this point, I just want Kini to outlast Sam and then I'll watch Dom take it again with relative composure.  I guess.  

• Love 12
Ken: Yep.. he buckled down and made it work. I guess it could be dinner at the captains table on a cruise after you've left the resort "resort wear". I wonder if they included Ken on the show in order to give him a redemption arc or because they thought he would bring the drama and he's not doing his part to advance that producer manipulation story-line?

I kind of liked it (I wouldn't wear it--just not my thing). It looked well made and the fabric appeared to have a breathability that offset the structured heaviness that didn't really convey beachy resort or whatever. It was pretty butt-flattering too! And I also thought the denim one was pretty and looked a lot less stiff than I thought it would...but I am the type who would indeed wear denim to a resort. However, it would very likely be grungy 20-year-old Levi's cutoffs...for, like, three days straight (something I learned over my last vacation, and something I really need to keep in mind the next time I start grossly overpacking because I'm That Traveler--"But what if I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it?!").

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

The challenge I'd like to see is for each contestant to be given identical fabric to work with.  Then the spotlight would truly be on design, not fabric choice.

That is a great idea! I hope the producers think of it too.
  • Love 6

It's rather nice to see Alyssa grow into her voice, as it were. For whatever reason, perhaps because she isn't a quote/unquote fashion person she isn't vulnerable to Sam's "charms" and when he does his "drape pretty fabric on a dress form, tack it down in a few places, sew strategically" thing for the 25th time doesn't fall off her chair in astonishment. In this case, he didn't even choose the pretty fabric in question.

Oh Kini. I get that Sam is a horrible little shit but don't engage. He's an infant. Treat him as such.

I really like Alexander. I don't think he'll win it all but he's such a grown up and seems really smart.

Ken also seems to have made leaps and bounds since his last appearance. I hope the meltdown they keep teasing isn't as bad as it looks.

• Love 6

Extra impressive after the camera lingers lovingly on Ken's ragged scissored armhole and the random tacks and gapes in Sam's draping.

I didn't notice Ken's armhole finish problem, but I didn't believe how much praise Sam's dress got after seeing those ghastly tacks that the camera zoomed in on so lovingly. I suppose the whole of the dress may have looked good to the judges at a distance, but I suspect they are careful not to allow the judges to get too close (none of the Zac Posen manhandling for this crowd!).

I did like Alexander's for the most part, at least as a credible attempt at wrestling denim into something approaching resort eveningwear.

It's hard for me to appreciate Ken's for the design because I'm imagining the physical discomfort of so much neoprene on a hot tropical night. (May his resort is in Montana.)

I can't evaluate Emily's fairly because I am heartily tired of the transparent-long-over-opaque-short "thing".

Although it's not I style I would wear, I agree with the win for Dom because of the clean-yet-not-boring lines and the technical artistry. Still, she did luck out winding up with a suitable fabric for the challenge.

The others I've already forgotten.

• Love 1

It's rather nice to see Alyssa grow into her voice, as it were. For whatever reason, perhaps because she isn't a quote/unquote fashion person she isn't vulnerable to Sam's "charms" and when he does his "drape pretty fabric on a dress form, tack it down in a few places, sew strategically" thing for the 25th time doesn't fall off her chair in astonishment. In this case, he didn't even choose the pretty fabric in question.

Oh Kini. I get that Sam is a horrible little shit but don't engage. He's an infant. Treat him as such.

I really like Alexander. I don't think he'll win it all but he's such a grown up and seems really smart.

Ken also seems to have made leaps and bounds since his last appearance. I hope the meltdown they keep teasing isn't as bad as it looks.

I'm enjoying Ken and Alexander's apparent friendship in this season after the awfulness of their season.  

• Love 3

I kind of thought the same thing about Dom's top.  In my opinion, anything that has a super plunging neckline looks much better on someone less well endowed than those of us with larger bustlines.  At least smaller-breasted women do not look like they are going to spill out if they breathe the wrong way.

I agree, and now it's going to be worn by the well-endowed Megan Hilty. Boob tape will be her friend.

Can anyone explain how/why that hideous circle fabric was in the upholstery section? Was it misplaced? What would one upholster with a sheer fabric? Or maybe curtain fabric is considered "upholstery"? Emily, she of the bleeding eyes and great horned owl hairdo, was a worse enemy to herself than that fabric was. She started out with what looked like a conservative business dress...for resort wear. Start with a strappy, or plunging, or halter top, or some combination thereof. Make a simple dress with what little red fabric you have. Then, as others have suggested, use the massive yardage of the circle fabric to make a dramatic overskirt with some volume and length to it, maybe having it slit open it the front and trail behind her. She freaked so badly over the fabric she didn't allow herself to think outside her very limited box.

Jumpsuits? I had one in the early 80s. Navy, sleeveless, collared, gold buttons down the front. It fit me perfectly (extremely difficult in a jumpsuit, especially since I'm really, really short) and was incredibly comfortable. Would I ever wear one again, assuming I still had the body for one? No. The whole "get mostly undressed just to pee" thing is a pain, even in something that opens in the front.

• Love 1

The worst thing about jumpsuits is getting mostly undressed to pee in a public restroom. It's hard to sit down to pee while holding most of your jumpsuit so that it doesn't drape all over the floor. This is why I don't want jumpsuits even if I think they're going to look good.

• Love 5

... The challenge I'd like to see is for each contestant to be given identical fabric to work with.  Then the spotlight would truly be on design, not fabric choice...

I was thinking the same... Same theme, some -identical- yards of 4 or 5 diverse fabric, and... go for it ! It would/could be really interesting

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 4

I was thinking the same... Same theme, some -identical- yards of 4 or 5 diverse fabric, and... go for it ! It would/could be really interesting

I've been wanting this challenge for a l-o-o-o-n-g time. It would really separate the wheat from the chaff, which might be precisely why they don't do it -- it would make it more difficult to justify pushing their pets forward. 

• Love 5

The challenge I'd like to see is for each contestant to be given identical fabric to work with.  Then the spotlight would truly be on design, not fabric choice. 

Yes, ideas like this are outside of the box and clever.  Reminds me of an episode of So You Think You Can Dance, Season 3, where they made the remaining 7 or 8 or so dancers all perform the exact same complicated solo to John Mayer's "Waiting for the World to Change."  By then I liked the dancers so much that it was cute for me to see all of their little idiosyncracies. 

I've pretty much trained my bladder to never have to use public restrooms anyway (I really hate them, and seems like my bladder knows it.  Always have to go right when I get my in own apartment).  Too much info?  ; )  You don't have to wear a sexy jumpsuit for an 8 hour tour or something, but for a night out, sure!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Last summer I watched old seasons again. I remember the first jumpsuit on the show being a risk, and criticized as old fashioned. I think it may have been Santino. So it's fun to see them always at this point with no hint of anything fresh.

I thought it was genius to have Alyssa be critical, especially of Sam. Great way to disrupt the rumblings of favoritism.

I think Kini got a pass because it's not time for his rivalry with Sam to bear fruit. This notched it up. Such a weird storyline, because neither is all that awesome. It's like politics usually are for me. I'm rooting for someone by default.

They have to wrap this up soon though. It felt like a really long episode.

• Love 2

Did anyone else notice Layana wearing the same dress as Peytie from PR Junior?

On a sad note, I've already forgotten the name of the girl who won. And the name of purple-hair who won last season. Sigh. How soon we forget.

pr-junior-ep-7-episode4.jpg

ETA: here's Layana in it. There is something really janky about the halter on this thing.

pras5-ep7-episode10.jpg

On a side note, count me in with those who hate pantsuits. They never fit right, and I hate having to get practically naked every time I have to pee.

Sam's dress did not stand up to scrutiny. Look at all those screwy seams in the front!

And what's up with that unfinished arm hole, Ken?

Emily's was just sad.

pras5-ep7-episode17.jpg

• Love 1

I think the color combo did a lot for Sam's dress--it's soft and summery. I think, at just a glance, it's pretty good. Emily's, on the other hand, is horrid and I say that as someone who digs the skirt fabric a lot! I'm thinking maybe she could have done at least a palazzo pants or something, or some kind of I Dream of Jeannie thing. That looks like something that a penniless fledgling club kid of the 1980s might throw together with an alien-antenna headband and a bucketful of glitter, and wear out to the Limelight--all of which there's nothing wrong with (other than the pill-popping...I suppose) but that's far from the challenge goal...unless I missed something, haha!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

Maybe I'm not designer-y enough but I HATE the jumpsuits, and especially how they're promoted so much this season. Ugh. I know it's supposed to be runway but in real life, I can't help but think that I just don't want to have to get completely naked to pee.

I agree with you. My hate for jumpsuits is right up there with my hate for peplum and lace.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2

While I don't feel one way or the other for Emily, I didn't appreciate her whining during judging. Most of the designers had crappy fabric choices. The other designers saved their complaints for the workroom and didn't give a monologue over how difficult the process was to the judges. Well, Emily, you're supposed to know how to turn a bad situation into a good one. Save the tears.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

I swear Emily must have had Judy Jetson in mind for that outfit! It was hideous! I liked the color of Ken's, though I cannot recall whose original selection it was (Layana's?), and it looked decent. I also felt that he wore that turban thing to make my transition easier as I had just finished watching Indian Summers before this episode. Does Sam have any pants? and, if so, why does he not wear them on the runway? Are we to assume that he's too short on time to put them on?

I had a hard time with the two possible losers. Sad voice vs. sad face is a toss up. But the septum piercing clinched it for me. Those will never ever be something I can accept having to look at.

• Love 6
(edited)

While I don't feel one way or the other for Emily, I didn't appreciate her whining during judging.

What really bothered me is that she complained during judging and then Georgina's response was to say that Emily had an attitude and that she LIKED it. What the hell? Don't encourage this kind of crap from the designers!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

Sam's dress did not stand up to scrutiny. Look at all those screwy seams in the front!

Emily's was just sad.

pras5-ep7-episode17.jpg

I thought the front of it veered very closely to the uni-boob look Ken had been so criticized for. That inside out fire hose project that they loved, except for the uni-boob bodice halter thing.

Not a word about that to Sam.

• Love 2

I suspect that she's an intelligent woman who has, of necessity as an actress, been around clothing/designers for a large part of her life and paid attention. She needed to know what looks good on her--or at least what effect various garments would have--as she's often photographed. I also suspect that she has Sam's # as a poseur--not all  that difficult a call to make if you're paying attention. And yes, whoever is styling her should be shot. She's short (like me) and is still getting her  bod back after a pregnancy weight gain. That's not an easy combo, especially on camera which adds weight.

As for the idea of everyone getting the same fabric and told to be creative with  it--yes! A million years ago (okay,maybe 50) I recall an ad in Life (?) magazine in which some button/trim manufacturer had 50 or 100 identical simple dresses. They then (supposedly) asked that many seamstresses to decorate them using the company's products. The results were a lot of identical dresses which were all completely different. It was fabulous!

• Love 4

Emily's was just sad.

pras5-ep7-episode17.jpg

Looking at this again, Sam's was really, really bad.  It looked okay from a distance, but studying this photo, there are just so many things wrong with it.  Much worse than Valerie's jumpsuit, imo.  And, his styling is just sad - why isn't his model wearing shoes?  

Why doesn't PR All Stars bring the top and bottom models down to the judges so that they can examine the outfits more closely, as they do on regular PR, or even on PR Teens??  

• Love 4

I also suspect that she has Sam's # as a poseur--not all that difficult a call to make if you're paying attention.

One of the most annoying things about the blatant producer manipulation on this show is the way they visibly struggle to keep the designated spotlight contestant in spite of what they produce, but insist they have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.

I don't believe there's a single judge up there who isn't perfectly clear about what Sam is and why he's there. You notice the artist formerly known as the resplendently radiant Georgina declined to allow him into her business, which seems odd, considering how consistently she upvotes him.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

Looking at this again, Sam's was really, really bad.  It looked okay from a distance, but studying this photo, there are just so many things wrong with it.  Much worse than Valerie's jumpsuit, imo.  And, his styling is just sad - why isn't his model wearing shoes?  

The shoe thing I was also asking why. maybe because if he put her in some it showed the length he cut the dress at was wonky that is all I came up with. I am glad Kini was safe, because he was saddled with that shit fabric Sam picked out. I date any designer to make something cute out of that mess.

Sam was only lucky he got Kini's fabric the colors were lovely, what he designed not so much. I also am on pantsuit overload! Did not like them in the 80's, bathroom trips were a nightmare. Almost as bad as wearing body suits, uggh!

• Love 1

I feel like I'm in bizarro world because I'm liking Ken this season. Who knew?!?

I loved Dom's dress. I'd wear that in a heartbeat.

I don't even know what Kini could've done with that horrid lace. Dye it? I mean, ugh. I think the judges gave him a pass this week.

Emily mentioned at one point making high waisted palazzo pants out of the polka dot fabric. I kind of wish she had done that with the crop top. I think the judges also gave her a pass due to the fabric.

Ken's was nicely constructed, but not resort wear at all. I actually agree with Zanna (again--bizarro world!) that the top was way too heavy for the bottom.

I'd have sent Layana home before Valerie. Yes, Valerie's wasn't the most exciting, but it fit like a glove and her model looked great in it. Layana's top was atrocious and the length was a bit too short.

I own two jumpsuits and love them. *shrug*

• Love 3

Emily:  She spent too much time whining.  In the end, she pulled off a nice outfit but if she'd have used some of that time she wasted more productively, she could have fixed some of the issues.  I liked how she lined up the circles at the waist.

I think Emily said the the final outfit was her third attempt. So, I don't think she was really wasting time whining she was just really, really struggling. I agree that lining up the circles was a good start.

• Love 1

I swear Emily must have had Judy Jetson in mind for that outfit! It was hideous! I liked the color of Ken's, though I cannot recall whose original selection it was (Layana's?), and it looked decent. I also felt that he wore that turban thing to make my transition easier as I had just finished watching Indian Summers before this episode. Does Sam have any pants? and, if so, why does he not wear them on the runway? Are we to assume that he's too short on time to put them on?

I had a hard time with the two possible losers. Sad voice vs. sad face is a toss up. But the septum piercing clinched it for me. Those will never ever be something I can accept having to look at.

Being very prone to allergies myself and ever conscious that my nose may be dripping, I always see those rings as giant boogers at first glance.  So unappealing.  

• Love 6

Why doesn't PR All Stars bring the top and bottom models down to the judges so that they can examine the outfits more closely, as they do on regular PR, or even on PR Teens??  

Damn, nothing like a still photo to reveal just how bad this stuff truly is.

• Love 1

I'm ashamed I've never noticed it before, but "figure it out" with no other comment is not a critique! It's just a meaningless aphorism. The "mentor" on PR:All Stars is beyond useless

I'm fully expecting Zanna to offer additional helpful advice like "you should try sewing something for this challenge," or "you made a dress" and "we have sewing machines"

Being very prone to allergies myself and ever conscious that my nose may be dripping, I always see those rings as giant boogers at first glance.  So unappealing.  

I always think of how amazingly painful it would be if it ever got pulled out.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 6

Maybe I'm crazy but I swear - didn't Emily say that she chose Alexander's fabric because she was attracted to the whimsy of the polka dots? I mean, you could see the giant polka dots through the bag - what did she think she was going to get when she chose the giant polka dots? I hated that weird extra piece on the top of the crop top. I hated that red fabric altogether. It looked like burlap. I hated that she used the polka dots for trim. It was all so home-sewer.

I'd bet money that Sam was planning to make another lace dress exactly like the white one, where he cut out the lace figures and then tacked them together. Still Kini's swimsuit coverup was so half-assed.

I didn't like Dom's. I liked the stripes, and I liked the colors, but it had those weird edges on the side and I hated that one random piece that was diagonal. And I hated the swoop in the back.

I thought Ken's look was something Eve Longoria would wear in Telenovela, but the guest judge would have looked better in it than she will in Dom's.

Valeri's model looked smokin'. I think for that alone, Leylana should have gone home instead.

• Love 1

Maybe I'm crazy but I swear - didn't Emily say that she chose Alexander's fabric because she was attracted to the whimsy of the polka dots? I mean, you could see the giant polka dots through the bag - what did she think she was going to get when she chose the giant polka dots?

I don't remember whether or not she said that, but my impression was she was disappointed in the yardage of each of the two fabrics. I think she only had a small amount of the red and yards and yards of the polka dot, which, given the relative bulk of the two fabrics, would have been difficult to determine just viewing the bag. 

• Love 1

What really bothered me is that she complained during judging and then Georgina's response was to say that Emily had an attitude and that she LIKED it. What the hell? Don't encourage this kind of crap from the designers!

Exactly! Other designers who have complained at judging have been excoriated for doing it, and rightfully so.

I thought Georgina was saying Emily's girl had a certain attitude that she liked, referring to Emily's model and therefore the outfit. Not that Emily had an attitude.

• Love 5

I really miss that Alyssa no longer calls Georgina beautiful. Because she really is!

She absolutely is. But she's also the Producer's wife, and it looks a little funny that Heidi Klum's beauty apparently goes without saying but for Georgina Chapman they have to keep pointing it out.

• Love 1

I agree that Georgina is a good-looking person but come on, pointing it out every week was really beyond weird and gross.  I'm so glad they got rid of that.  Being good-looking has nothing to do with being a judge on a designing show.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8

They did that on the original show once a long time back. Everyone got cotton, yards and yards of plain white cotton. They could dye it any color they wanted but all they could buy at Mood that episode was the supplies like zippers and buttons and whatnot. (Turns out it was season 1. Looking at Wikipedia, they used to do a lot of interesting challenges. Bummer they don't really seem to anymore.)

• Love 5

The thing about iconic Isaac is that he's probably the perfect judge for this program now that Halston is dead. He was couture, he moved down the food chain, and now he makes a very good living doing low-end retail. He is who most of the contestants on this show will most likely end up being, if they're lucky.

I'd just like to hear about the considerations he actually deals with in his professional career, like what shapes the most body types of obese women can wear, or what colors of synthetic velour look the most luxe in gif format, or what trends twelve year old girls in the third world can sew the most efficiently. Particularly since the farce which was Anthony Ryan, hIs thoughts on refined couture and the needs of the client don't impress me.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 5

They did that on the original show once a long time back. Everyone got cotton, yards and yards of plain white cotton. They could dye it any color they wanted but all they could buy at Mood that episode was the supplies like zippers and buttons and whatnot. (Turns out it was season 1. Looking at Wikipedia, they used to do a lot of interesting challenges. Bummer they don't really seem to anymore.)

That was season 1, but they didn't even get to go to Mood to get zippers and whatnot, but rather to "Daytona Braids and Trimming."  In season 1 they designers didn't get to go to Mood, or actual fabric shopping, until episode 4.  [Ep. 1 was the supermarket; Ep. 2 was the cotton provided to them; Ep. 3 fabric was provided by Banana Republic.]    Season 1 did have some really interesting challenges, that often were very "basic" compared to what we see now:  create a collection using second hand clothes, create a stage look for a singer, create a wedding dress for a client, create a swimsuit/cover appropriate for a party, re-envision a public services uniform... 

The first season of Project Runway Canada had a similar challenge for the designers on the first episode also.  Before they were 'officially' on the show, the designers had to design a dress all using the same materials (white cloth, random notions, a tape measure), while at a yacht party, in some insane amount of time (I'm thinking like only half an hour.)  The eliminated designer was booted off the boat, and didn't even get to see the work room.

• Love 3

The eliminated designer was booted off the boat, and didn't even get to see the work room.

Was the boat in port? Cause if not, that's an auf'ing I'd like to see MORE of!

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 3