Type keyword(s) to search

Late Show With David Letterman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think the joke might've been that Norton actually does live in Dave's building and he was just being playfully coy about it.

James Corden appears to have a bit of a Ricky Gervais laugh, which is unfortunate.

I love Amy and Dave's rapport, it's like we are watching a private chat b/t two old friends.  I know this won't happen but I would love for Amy to be a guest every week for the last few months of Dave's show.  I'm hoping that Stephen uses Amy quite frequently given their history...and throw in Paul Dinello too.

• Love 2

Thanksgiving isn't quite the same without Dorothy and the pies. I hope she's well and that we'll see her (at least) one more time before Dave says goodbye. I'm really struggling with the realization that we're seeing "the final" one of many bits. I savored the Halloween costumes that much more because I was alerted to the fact that it was the last time I'll be seeing that skit. Sigh. I'm finding it really hard, and painful, to wrap my head around the string of lasts. Dave's obvious enjoyment of so many little moments simultaneously lessens and enhances the sting.

• Love 2

Aw, that Joaquin Phoenix interview got surprisingly sweet at the end. 

I also laughed pretty hard at the end of the show when some stagehand switched Al Green to a working microphone mid-performance.

While the Darlene Love finale is understandably getting most of the attention, we should keep in mind that this week will also likely be Shannon Eis's final appearance.

Edited by alynch

So long, in fact, that many of us here in the Capital of The Free World , have been calling them The Taters for years.  

I missed the beginning of the bit, but was Dave calling the Taters owner "Snyderman"?  Wasn't sure if there was a mention of why at the beginning (since his name is Snyder).  Not that it bothers me.  He's called much worse names around here.

I think Dave was calling him Snyderman for his own amusement. One of the staffers corrected him the first time he did, but then he kept calling him it for the rest of the segment.

The funny thing about the Redskins Potato joke is that most people seem to come up with the observation independently of each other.

Edited by alynch
  • Love 1

Jay Thomas to Dave: We'll never see each other again.

Dave to Jay:  That's right.

Brilliant

Darlene looked fabulous.  Sounded fabulous.  I always start crying when the snow starts falling...

• Love 2

Jay Thomas to Dave: We'll never see each other again.

Dave to Jay:  That's right.

Brilliant

Agreed. In later years I found this "tradition" to be a bit uncomfortable. Dave seemed less and less into it as the years went on and it seemed he was just doing it because they were too far down the road to stop it.  When Thomas was milking the audience applause when he came out, Dave looked really irritated.

Agreed. In later years I found this "tradition" to be a bit uncomfortable. Dave seemed less and less into it as the years went on and it seemed he was just doing it because they were too far down the road to stop it.  When Thomas was milking the audience applause when he came out, Dave looked really irritated.

Yes Mumbles, I found that really annoying too.  Must say that I did enjoy the Lone Ranger story because I'd never heard it before.  I just started watching the late shows this year, so .....

It actually is a great story. I've heard it so many times now that I can recite parts of it along ("We proceeded to get herbed up.")  I wish the original telling was on Youtube somewhere to watch Dave's original, delighted reaction. Now he's just sort of sitting through it.

• Love 1

It actually is a great story. I've heard it so many times now that I can recite parts of it along ("We proceeded to get herbed up.")  I wish the original telling was on Youtube somewhere to watch Dave's original, delighted reaction. Now he's just sort of sitting through it.

I disagree with this. I think Dave still completely loves the story (how could anyone not?). Hell, he even participated in a live-action reenactment of it a few years ago. I think it's just that he's otherwise not all that fond of Jay Thomas as a person.

They should post that poem at their web-site.

They did. Bottom of the Wahoo Gazette.

Edited by alynch

Scheduled guests for the first week of the year - 2015!!

Monday: Kathy Griffin, David Oyelowo, Lera Lynn
Tuesday: Ethan Hawke, Allison Williams, Parquet Courts
Wednesday: Julianne Moore, Catfish & the Bottlemen
Thursday: Donald Trump, Chelsea Peretti, Foxygen
Friday: Michael Somerville, Nicole Atkins

Scheduled guests for the week of January 12th:

Monday 1/12: Gordon Ramsay, Adam Devine, St. Paul and the Broken Bones

Tuesday 1/13: Anderson Cooper, Shovels & Rope

Wednesday 1/14: Amanda Peet, Ryn Weaver

Thursday 1/15: Larry David, Sleater-Kinney

I am really liking the last couple of music guests, like Parquet Courts and Foxygen, and Catfish & The Bottlemen, I knew neither one of those bands liked all of them a lot. A very pleasant surprise. Recently also loved Jessica Hernandez & The Deltas. I am gonna miss discovering good music through this show. Is it my impression or is David having more fun with the bands?

Is it my impression or is David having more fun with the bands?

The quick interaction with the music is one of the best reasons to stick with it till the end.

Edited by GaryE