Type keyword(s) to search

Late Show With David Letterman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Bill Murray and Foo Fighters tonight. Is tonight the last show?

When I heard about the Foo residency, I said the end is coming sooner rather than later. But this seems to be tied more to the HBO show.

I'll bet they'll be back for the final shows to play Letterman's favorite Foo Fighters songs.

I'm confused about the HBO show. Dave Grohl's intro on the first day seemed to say that Letterman had something to do with the show. But I can't find anything to confirm that. Maybe I just misunderstood.

When I heard about the Foo residency, I said the end is coming sooner rather than later. But this seems to be tied more to the HBO show.

I'll bet they'll be back for the final shows to play Letterman's favorite Foo Fighters songs.

I (and others who know better) have predicted the end will be during May sweeps. That would be a year (and 1 month) after Dave's announcement.

And it'll give Colbert the summer to fix the Ed Sullivan Theater and prep for his new gig.

I heard the contract ends in August, so either ending it early in May, or a little later in September makes the most sense. Johnny wrapped in May, so I'll put my money there.

Scheduled guests for the week of October 20th – October 24th

Monday:  Robert Downey Jr., Sarah Paulson, Lizzo (R 10/7/14)

Tuesday:  Mark Harmon, Jack Hanna (R 9/22/14)

Wednesday:  Jason Bateman, Billy Eichner, Ryan Adams (R 9/11/14)

Thursday:  Denzel Washington, Lenny Kravitz (R 9/23/14)

Friday:  Jerry Seinfeld, a performance from Cirque du Soleil's "Michael Jackson One" (R 9/25/14)

Scheduled guests for the week of October 27th – October 31st

Monday:  Amy Poehler, Sen. Jeff Flake, Sen. Martin Heinrich, Mastodon, Jerry Lee Lewis

Tuesday:  Taylor Swift, Tom Mison

Wednesday:  Jim Carrey

Thursday:  Perfume Genius

Friday:  Brian Regan, Run the Jewels

It's quite impressive how Dave & Brian Williams can hop directly from silly to ultra-serious topics without even the slightest seque.

How much do I love these two???  Let me count the ways!!!  Honest to Gawd (TM Letterman), there are no two men with the charisma & intelligence to entertain as these two do!!  Just sayin'.

• Love 2

Scheduled guests for the week of November 3rd – November 7th

Monday:  Martin Short, Father John Misty

Tuesday:  Jessica Chastain, Lenny Marcus, Foo Fighters (R 10/17/14)

Wednesday:  Jennifer Lopez, Rob Riggle, Kimbra

Thursday:  Whoopi Goldberg, Jimmy Page, Mapei

Friday:  Amy Schumer, Jeff Caldwell

Man, that audience last night just hated any joke that was even slightly political, which is fine. In these days of overly warmed up audiences, I find myself appreciating more the jokes they're not into at all.

Scheduled guests for the week of November 11th – November 15th

Monday:  Katie Holmes, Alex Zanardi, Jessica Hernandez

Tuesday:  Steve Carell, OK Go

Wednesday:  Jennifer Lawrence, Boris Johnson

Thursday:  Jon Stewart, Shawn Mendes

Friday:  Kristin Chenoweth, Chris Young

Oh man, I might tape the Thursday one to see Jon Stewart....

Did anyone catch the Katie Holme's interview?  I'd never seen her on a talk show before so I was curious.  Dave kept it rolling but it was weird and not in a good way. With anyone else it would have been awkward as hell.   Her opening line was, "My grandmother's birthday was this week - she turned 90."  Alrighty then.  Also, she turns 100 cartwheels a day.  Even Dave seemed at a loss on that one.  Heh. 

Katie always seems to give a "guarded" interview.  Not a fun viewing at all. I missed last night but the last time she was on, Dave mostly wanted to talk about Suri and general kid habits. Katie was doing Broadway at the time I think. 

I love when Jennifer Lawrence is on. She's always wary of Dave and it can get weird quickly.

Looking forward to OK Go tonight!

Katie always seems to give a "guarded" interview.  Not a fun viewing at all. I missed last night but the last time she was on, Dave mostly wanted to talk about Suri and general kid habits. Katie was doing Broadway at the time I think. 

I love when Jennifer Lawrence is on. She's always wary of Dave and it can get weird quickly.

Looking forward to OK Go tonight!

Thanks for answering Fisher King.   I don't know why Katie Holmes bothers - unless it's part of her movie deal.  Speaking of which, I did have to look twice at the movie clip because in it she seemed just as strange and in the interview - no acting required. 

I like the JL interviews with Dave too.  Weird but fun!  

I kinda think Jennifer Lawrence is faking it in those interviews- sometimes she doesn't act like that at all, it just depends on who she's talking to. If she gets an interviewer who will let her take over, she jumps on it like she's putting on a show and loving the attention she's getting. Ugh, I find her obnoxious. People like that have to be the center of attention at every moment, it's so annoying. Frankly, I do prefer Julia Roberts, who genuinely likes Dave and considers their little "relationship" special, lol.

Dave probably likes Lawrence's "weirdness" though. I bet he does bring up the photo thing but it'll be fine because all he'll do is sympathize and suck up to her, etc.

I think Dave kinda made himself sick by realizing what he'd just said.  Steve Carell totally cracked up, as did I. 

I'm pretty sure that it would be cannibalistic to eat only the broth, BUT one could argue that a human hip could be a healthier alternative to pork.

Martha Stewart just always has to give in to Dave, and he has never cut her any slack.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 1

I have no idea how much of the Jennifer Lawrence persona is a calculated put-on and how much is genuine (probably a bit of both), but I don't particularly care. Her appearances make for good, unpredictable, weird television, and the show is always at its best when it goes weird.

• Love 1

Now I'm mad that my ortho didn't give me my old arthritic hip! I had my surgery at about the same time as Steve C so I enjoyed listening to him talk about it.

I had to refresh my memory on the John DuPont story. So weird and sad.

Scheduled guests for the week of November 17th – November 21st

Monday:  Jason Sudeikis, Allison Janney, Damien Rice

Tuesday:  Stupid Pet Tricks, Charlie Day, Hiss Golden Messenger

Wednesday:  Regis Philbin, Hundred Waters

Thursday:  Meryl Streep, Jessye Norman

Friday:  James Corden, Norman Lear, TV on the Radio

They usually only do Stupid Pet Tricks and Stupid Human Tricks about twice a year, so I suppose this could be the last one. But it seems much more likely that they'd save the final installment of a signature bit like that for when they're closer to the end. Hell, I could see it being in the final week.

Regardless as to when it is, I have only one request for the final Stupid Pet Tricks: one of them has to not be a dog. The dog's have had an unfair monopoly for years.

Edited by alynch

The "Presidential Second Acts" bit is knocking it out of the park for me.   Moral of the story: Never wipe your glasses on a staffer's clothing, there will be retribution.

• Love 2

Well crap. I fell asleep. Was there a pet other than a dog on the show last night?

There was a small horse being ridden by small dog, a dog that climbs a ladder, a dog holding a cup of water and drinking from it.

There was a small horse being ridden by small dog, a dog that climbs a ladder, a dog holding a cup of water and drinking from it.

No Dingos biting the host?  Obviously the screening process has gotten better.

On a brag-y note, the "ladder dog" is from Calgary!!  Yay!!

Edited to add:  I was really surprised that was all he did because the dog knows many balancing-type tricks.  Oh well ....

No need to feel alone being "brag-y":

http://www.660news.com/2014/11/19/calgary-rescue-dog-shows-off-skills-with-david-letterman/

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/1216542/agile-calgary-pooch-stars-on-the-late-show-with-david-letterman/

Lexi appears to have a pretty good press agent!  To paraphrase E.B. White, "Some Dog"

Edited by kib

Tonight was supposed to be the Bill Cosby night, right? If you check the entertainment news, today was a pretty bad day for him. Lost two projects.

Edited by GaryE