Type keyword(s) to search

Late Show With David Letterman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Since this forum is getting a bit more attention with Dave's announcement, it seems a good opportunity to start some more topics. Episode threads don't really make sense for a show like this, so this will be for discussing events on the show after they happen.

So watch the show, then post in this thread to comment.

Well, now that TWOP is officially dead, hopefully there'll a handful more people coming over. That Pea Boy gag was so old that I had to look it up. According to Wahoo they haven't even done a version of it since 1995.

Walken seems like a nice guy and he's a great actor but he's not a great guest. Better than DiNiro though.  Regis is always great, as is Kelsey Grammer. And Dave Chappelle was interesting.  A pretty good week.

Double posting to say that Dave's interview with Jerry Seinfeld at the Paley Center is available on the Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee site.  It was funny and interesting, as you'd expect.

I also really enjoyed that Seinfeld interview, especially since Dave was much less obsequious than the usual Paley center interviewer. His attitude seemed to be, "Yes Jerry, it's a very entertaining show, but it's not exactly groundbreaking. You're just talking to celebrities in a unique setting." It could've gotten contentious if either of the two didn't hold the other in such high regard.

Well, I guess we now know for sure how to get Dave to replay old bits. You simply have to personally request it from the audience. It seems to be working pretty consistently. I hope future audience members are taking notes.

Had no idea Biff had been gone for the past two months. Presumably his knee issues date back to that time he got hurt catching the football, which is kind of sad. That's also probably why they've had Todd doing all the field pieces lately.

I have noticed over the past couple of months that the audience has been giving all the guest much longer ovations. I assume the warm-up people have been telling them to do it. Can't say I'm a big fan of it since it usually creates an awkward 30 seconds or so of silence before starting the interview.

I have noticed over the past couple of months that the audience has been giving all the guest much longer ovations. I assume the warm-up people have been telling them to do it. Can't say I'm a big fan of it since it usually creates an awkward 30 seconds or so of silence before starting the interview.

I think folks might be extra amped up getting in to see the show before Daddy punches the time clock for the last time (or maybe the thermostat in the Ed Sullivan has been set especially low recently)   I'm hopeful I can catch a show when I'm in NYC early this December.  I know I'll be particularly cheery if I can score a ticket !  (Hint..hint..wink..wink to any lurking LS staffers)

Thanks, alynch!  Even wrapped up, those look like a dandy pile of sandwiches.  "Ham"  Did they talk about sandwiches in the interview on Tuesday?

Excellent, thank you so much, alynch!  Now I know why the little card under the sandwiches said "Ham"!

It was hilarious to hear each named sandwich get applause in the segment. 

That was a fantastic performance.

I watched the last half of Thursday's show and am pretty sure St. Vincent didn't understand Dave's semaphore reference, but one of the guys in her band got it.

Yes it was, alynch!  Just awesome.  That was my thought, too, that before David leaves he'll showcase that CBS Orchestra and probably some of his employees - kinda like he's done with the intern kid.

We will definitely be watching MacArthur Park a few more times.

Thank you so much for the link!  I was going to hunt it down this weekend, as I missed the performance on the show.  I'm the only person I know who loves "MacArthur Park," but I really do!  Looking forward to hearing this.

Well, she has to build some bridges for the post-Dave era; I never thought anyone had an exclusive commitment.  She probably has at most two visits left to "Late Night". 

(edited)

I guess for some reason (New York? Dave's history?) there seems to be more of a connection/competition with the Fallon Tonight show than with Kimmel.

Edited by GaryE

I'm guessing she'll only be on once more prior to the end (probably in the final couple weeks), since she has no upcoming projects at the moment.

I think last night was the first time they've ever not shown the real clip after doing the old, cheap clip gag. I like to think someone at Marvel got pissed over that.

(edited)

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the funniest moment they've had in a while. When Dave was talking to Rachelle Lefevre about the possible end of redheads, and she said maybe she should breed with a fellow redhead, and the camera immediately cut to Alan Kalter... classic.

Edited by GaryE

I hope they can rerun at least one of Robin Williams' appearances on Letterman.  I always looked forward to his visits.  What a terrible shame to lose someone who brought so much joy to so many of us. 

I think we we're all waiting for Dave's tribute to Robin, and he didn't disappoint.  It was the perfect mix of funny and emotional- just what you would expect from Dave. And we got the clip of Dave on Mork and Mindy.

• Love 2

Julia Roberts will be on with Jimmy Fallon on The Tonight Show Thursday. Some Dave loyalists find this upsetting. Does it bother you?

I think it had more to do with Leno than the Tonight Show itself. Dave seems to like Fallon

I also was struck by the fact that they had so many pictures of Robin lying on his back laughing so hard.  And I felt for Dave especially at the end when he said he had no idea Robin was in so much pain.  You could tell how deep this went.

If this terrible incident had happened after Dave went off the air, I would have felt the loss of a tribute like this from Dave.  And I had not realized he had known Robin from his very early standup days.

• Love 4

Oh, thank you, Hava, because I fell asleep doing a DVD recording of the show with no commercials, and woke up to Craig Ferguson.  So I have that final farewell, and will watch it after dark, the only time really to appreciate Dave. 

:( indeed.  Dave can really break my heart. 

ETA:  I watched the end of the show, and it was like he was talking to Robin in the room.  And then they closed with another picture of Dave and Robin while the band played the show out. 

Edited by jjj

After watching Dave's Robin tribute twice, I'm realizing his final episode is going to be extremely hard to get through -- for me.

Not just you. I've been watching Dave since the daytime show. Very hard to imagine TV life without him.

• Love 5