Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I will confess, though, that between my hearing and the noise of the treadmill I frequently can’t understand Michel...I end up trying to lip read.

Closed captioning!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I must have lived under a rock all of these years but I've never ever seen even 1 episode of this show.  So after finishing Season 3 of Cobra Kai I saw this and I started watching.  

I almost turned it off during Episode 1.  I cannot stand Lorelai.  She's never serious and it feels like she always has to be "on".  That would annoy the heck out of me if I was her friend.  Michel makes me laugh a lot.

Sookie.. ugh.  I'm not a fan of Melissa McCarthy and her attempts at slapstick humor.  I liked her well enough during Mike and Molly but then she quit her teaching job and the whole show was her doing stupid stunts so I gave that one up.  At least as the season goes on she's not doing as much slapstick as the beginning and I love her relationship with Jackson.  And the fact that she tells Lorelai where it's at.

I like Rory.  She is a sweet girl...even though a little backward  and shy.  She's really nice to her grandparents and just about everybody in town. 

I like Luke.  It's obvious that he has a thing for Lorelai and I'm sure she knows it.  It feels to me like she's a bit of a tease with him.  Like a "who, me?" with her.

I like Emily and Richard.  I love Miss Patty. 

I hope Lane's mother eases up a little bit.

Anyway that's my opinions on Season 1.  I'm up to Christopher returning now.  I'll give my ever changing opinions as I finish each season in that season's posts.

26 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

Anyway that's my opinions on Season 1.  I'm up to Christopher returning now.  I'll give my ever changing opinions as I finish each season in that season's posts.

A new "take" is always interesting.  

2 hours ago, NYGirl said:

So I must have lived under a rock all of these years but I've never ever seen even 1 episode of this show.  So after finishing Season 3 of Cobra Kai I saw this and I started watching.  

I almost turned it off during Episode 1.  I cannot stand Lorelai.  She's never serious and it feels like she always has to be "on".  That would annoy the heck out of me if I was her friend.  Michel makes me laugh a lot.

Sookie.. ugh.  I'm not a fan of Melissa McCarthy and her attempts at slapstick humor.  I liked her well enough during Mike and Molly but then she quit her teaching job and the whole show was her doing stupid stunts so I gave that one up.  At least as the season goes on she's not doing as much slapstick as the beginning and I love her relationship with Jackson.  And the fact that she tells Lorelai where it's at.

I like Rory.  She is a sweet girl...even though a little backward  and shy.  She's really nice to her grandparents and just about everybody in town. 

I like Luke.  It's obvious that he has a thing for Lorelai and I'm sure she knows it.  It feels to me like she's a bit of a tease with him.  Like a "who, me?" with her.

I like Emily and Richard.  I love Miss Patty. 

I hope Lane's mother eases up a little bit.

I appreciate your POV. Keep watching. ❤️

Thank you for welcoming me!!  I'm definitely not going to give up as I am in for the long even though I'm annoyed.  Hard to explain.

The Christopher episode was shocking.  I can't believe how his parents acted.  Even though Richard stuck up for Lorelai I didn't get the feeling he was all in on it.  I loved when he told her how her getting pregnant and locking them out of her life for no reason hurt them and that Emily was in bed for a month.  Selfish Lorelai.

The next episode was Rory and Dean's 3 month anniversary.  It started out so sweet and then went off the rails.  I kind of liked Dean before this but boy was he selfish and impulsive when Rory didn't say she loved him right away.

Lorelai acting all babyish and sneaking out of the blind date was typical Lorelai and didn't endear me to her at all.

I loved her getting her comeuppance when talking to Luke at the bonfire and noticing maybe he does like Rachel.

The next episode Rory goes to a Chilton party and brings Lane.  I was so happy Lane met Henry but I'm worried we'll never see him again and he fell into a black hole.  Rory confuses me when she lets Tristan kiss her.  Meanwhile ugh Melissa McCarthy is acting like an idiot because Jackson is cooking for her.  Really?  Made my hate for her come to the surface yet again.  I'm sorry I have no patience for annoying people.

Max????  OMG...She's really lucky that he didn't have another girl in that apartment with him.  I'm wondering how long this is going to last

My last episode for today was Trix visiting!!!  First I had to get over my shock that it was Marion from Happy Days!!  I loved Richard fawning all over her and took this as a teaching moment to ask my son why he doesn't fawn all over me like that.  All I got was an eye-roll.  But I was amused at this episode and felt sorry for Emily.  I also loved when Trix said she wasn't leaving Rory the money because of Lorelai.  I loved her making Lorelai think she wasn't "such a much" (Ethel Mertz said this on I Love Lucy in the California episodes) 

2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Oh, sweetie. You’re in for a long six seasons, then.

Oh God I kind of figured that.  I was kind of hoping that wasn't the case.  My son was watching with me a little bit today and said "why is everybody on this show annoying?"    I said to him "I know!! Right?".  

30 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

One person's annoying can be another person's endearing. 😉

Or it starts out as endearing...and then fifteen episodes later you’re either screaming at the screen or wildly fast forwarding. A lot.

You were warned, @NYGirl. That’s all I’m saying. 😕

15 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Thank you for welcoming me!!  I'm definitely not going to give up as I am in for the long even though I'm annoyed.  Hard to explain.

The Christopher episode was shocking.  I can't believe how his parents acted.  Even though Richard stuck up for Lorelai I didn't get the feeling he was all in on it.  I loved when he told her how her getting pregnant and locking them out of her life for no reason hurt them and that Emily was in bed for a month.  Selfish Lorelai.

The next episode was Rory and Dean's 3 month anniversary.  It started out so sweet and then went off the rails.  I kind of liked Dean before this but boy was he selfish and impulsive when Rory didn't say she loved him right away.

Lorelai acting all babyish and sneaking out of the blind date was typical Lorelai and didn't endear me to her at all.

I loved her getting her comeuppance when talking to Luke at the bonfire and noticing maybe he does like Rachel.

The next episode Rory goes to a Chilton party and brings Lane.  I was so happy Lane met Henry but I'm worried we'll never see him again and he fell into a black hole.  Rory confuses me when she lets Tristan kiss her.  Meanwhile ugh Melissa McCarthy is acting like an idiot because Jackson is cooking for her.  Really?  Made my hate for her come to the surface yet again.  I'm sorry I have no patience for annoying people.

Max????  OMG...She's really lucky that he didn't have another girl in that apartment with him.  I'm wondering how long this is going to last

My last episode for today was Trix visiting!!!  First I had to get over my shock that it was Marion from Happy Days!!  I loved Richard fawning all over her and took this as a teaching moment to ask my son why he doesn't fawn all over me like that.  All I got was an eye-roll.  But I was amused at this episode and felt sorry for Emily.  I also loved when Trix said she wasn't leaving Rory the money because of Lorelai.  I loved her making Lorelai think she wasn't "such a much" (Ethel Mertz said this on I Love Lucy in the California episodes) 

Kind of makes me sad if you feel this way on your first watch.  It really is a great show, and though the characters are flawed like real people, there are so many great moments and stories in this show.  Try your best to enjoy it all as a package and you will love the show much more, rather than being annoyed by everything.  It is the type of show that is more than its big stories.  I know some of it is annoying, but typically I find many things to love along the way.

3 hours ago, alexa said:

Kind of makes me sad if you feel this way on your first watch.  It really is a great show, and though the characters are flawed like real people, there are so many great moments and stories in this show.  Try your best to enjoy it all as a package and you will love the show much more, rather than being annoyed by everything.  It is the type of show that is more than its big stories.  I know some of it is annoying, but typically I find many things to love along the way.

Well said.

11 hours ago, alexa said:

I agree.  After all if they really annoyed me that much I wouldn't continue watching.  I had a doctor appointment and then a work appointment today so I didn't get to watch and I found myself wondering what's going to happen.  I'm looking forward to watching around 3 episodes tonight since NCIS and FBI are reruns.

I'm being overly snarky...maybe because I've never seen a show like this before?  It goes against everything I've ever watched.

Honestly, I loved this show as I watched it for the first time over the summer. There were many, many times I laughed out loud and in 2020? Priceless.

But I am currently slogging through Season Six, which, as you’ll see if you do some reading of the forum, many, many people find...problematic. 

So I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and that you consider stopping about a third of the way through Season Six. 😁

1 hour ago, NYGirl said:

I agree.  After all if they really annoyed me that much I wouldn't continue watching.  I had a doctor appointment and then a work appointment today so I didn't get to watch and I found myself wondering what's going to happen.  I'm looking forward to watching around 3 episodes tonight since NCIS and FBI are reruns.

I'm being overly snarky...maybe because I've never seen a show like this before?  It goes against everything I've ever watched.

Well, I think this show isn’t so much about what is going to happen as it is about quirkiness, characters, and so many different types of moments.  So maybe if you look at it a little different and just kind of see it all as a whole it might be better.  Not trying to go on about that, but in the end it is all of this that makes the show more than major storylines.  

1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

Honestly, I loved this show as I watched it for the first time over the summer. There were many, many times I laughed out loud and in 2020? Priceless.

But I am currently slogging through Season Six, which, as you’ll see if you do some reading of the forum, many, many people find...problematic. 

So I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and that you consider stopping about a third of the way through Season Six. 😁

I found in my recent rewatch there were a lot of good moments in season 6 and 7.  The major stories are difficult, but there are definitely things that made it worth watching.  I actually like Season 7 after the first few episodes...it starts to return to what it used to be like.  Glad you are surviving the tough parts.  Lol

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

It's also different with the rapid fire dialog. I've read with the Pallidino's in charge their scripts were twice as long as other hour long shows. I also enjoyed the cultural references.

I was impressed that Lorelai knew how to pronounce "Amontillado".

Okay...finished Season 1 last night and watched the first of Season 2.  I guess I'll go put my thoughts in Season 2..

Come on over!!

I forgot to tell you my very favorite line from Season 1.  (paraphrasing) Trix to Lorelai.   "Comedy time is over".  Stopped her dead in her tracks...lol

Edited by NYGirl
3 hours ago, NYGirl said:

I forgot to tell you my very favorite line from Season 1.  (paraphrasing) Trix to Lorelai.   "Comedy time is over".  Stopped her dead in her tracks...lol

Ha! Trix's relationship with Lorelai is very amusing. On the one hand Trix admires her for being a strong, independent woman, but on the other hand she has no patience for Lorelai's foolishness. There's another great scene on the way for you (I won't hint to when so I don't spoil you) where Trix tells Rory to go be young and have fun, and then immediately turns to Lorelai and tells her she's had enough fun in her life. LMAO.

34 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Ha! Trix's relationship with Lorelai is very amusing. On the one hand Trix admires her for being a strong, independent woman, but on the other hand she has no patience for Lorelai's foolishness. There's another great scene on the way for you (I won't hint to when so I don't spoil you) where Trix tells Rory to go be young and have fun, and then immediately turns to Lorelai and tells her she's had enough fun in her life. LMAO.

It's weird because 90% of the time I hate Emily but I immediately feel protective of her when Trix starts to take her to task.

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It's weird because 90% of the time I hate Emily but I immediately feel protective of her when Trix starts to take her to task.

Agreed.  I really disliked Trix, and always felt bad for Emily in those times.

Max Medina. 
Watching Cinnamon's Wake, and this time around I find him manipulative and touchy-feedly, in such a way that I would have felt uncomfortable.

The push push push to date Lorelai. They way he simply dismisses her concerns about the school finding out, how it would be with Rory, and ethical concerns. 
He puts the "blame" on her with the "That's ice" topic. He "had" to punish Rory, when we all know the kids of influential parents wouldn't have gotten the same. 
He promises to do all he can to get Rory through Chilton. How? He might teach one more class with her. Then he says he just wants to be friends. 
She, the pleaser who faces customers all day, suddenly decides there's no ice.

Then he grabs her elbow. Minorly inappropriate.

Ignoring her voiced concerns, he appeals to her lack of impulse control while repeatedly asking her out. 
Later, at the coffee shop, the physical gets even more intrusive. Then he makes up stories, i.e. lies, and tells her only what she wants to hear. 
She calls him out on his claim that he has the "ability to be discreet." That claim screams to me that he's done this before.

Lorelai keeps expressing her concerns, like she would never do anything to hurt Rory. His response is to just let her grow up.

The constant rubbing of her arm. Ick. Yet she accepts it. 
We all know how the relationship ends, so her concerns came true. 

Max Medina. Master manipulator.

Oh, and the parallel "Goodbye Lorelai Gilmore" by Max and Dean wasn't cute anymore. More like a foreshadowing of the Dean-Rory relationship problems. 

Edited by junienmomo
10 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Max Medina. 
Watching Cinnamon's Wake, and this time around I find him manipulative and touchy-feedly, in such a way that I would have felt uncomfortable.

Holla!

1 hour ago, Taryn74 said:

Holla!

I realized I wanted him gone hen he started grilling Lorelai on what he should do if Rory and Dean were making out or if Rory came home drunk. You could tell he didn't know anything about the L/R dynamic at all. And the key thing. He was insufferable in that episode.

45 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I realized I wanted him gone hen he started grilling Lorelai on what he should do if Rory and Dean were making out or if Rory came home drunk. You could tell he didn't know anything about the L/R dynamic at all. And the key thing. He was insufferable in that episode.

I didn't mind that one. I think he was trying to find out what his role as Rory's stepfather would be. Its a bad example he came up with since Rory doesn't drink or really stay out that late. But he did need to know what his role was. A lot of parents and stepparents don't figure that out before they get married which leads to a lot of problems that could have been avoided if they had. For me the dislike began when he dismissed Lorelai's concerns about Rory and Chilton. But then when Lorelai's proven right suddenly Max can't handle it and breaks up with Lorelai. That's was made me hate him.  

But he did need to know what his role was. 

I get that but I could tell Lorelai's internal response was "You don't have one." That's why I think she could only have worked at that point with Luke. He had been in Rory's life for many years and he would never have asked a question like that.

16 hours ago, junienmomo said:

I'm sure ASP and DP wrote him along the lines of what they do.  They always had bizarre takes on what was supposed to come across as romantic.

On 8/22/2021 at 11:07 PM, JustHereForFood said:

I don't remember that many details about Max, but I thought that he proposed way too early. And I think that Lorelai only accepted because he made the big gesture with those flowers, she was just swept in the moment.

Now that you describe it that way, I'm wondering if the "princess wedding" was a phase they took Lorelai through using Max. Since Rory was essentially done growing up, as Lorelai put it, Lorelai was free to experience life as a single unmarried person. 
Unfortunately, she was in the fantasy wedding phase and not looking for a lifelong relationship. 

On 8/22/2021 at 5:07 PM, JustHereForFood said:

I don't remember that many details about Max, but I thought that he proposed way too early. And I think that Lorelai only accepted because he made the big gesture with those flowers, she was just swept in the moment.

Yeah, he and Lorelai met, dated, broke up, got engaged, and then broke up again all in under a year (which we discussed in the nitpicking thread, so I won't repeat it here). It's also nuts that they wanted to go straight from dating while separate places to married and living together without any intermediate steps. I get that some people do that but I don't think it made any sense for the characters of Lorelai and Max.

On 8/22/2021 at 3:21 PM, andromeda331 said:

I didn't mind that one. I think he was trying to find out what his role as Rory's stepfather would be. Its a bad example he came up with since Rory doesn't drink or really stay out that late. But he did need to know what his role was.

It was pretty clear that they didn't discuss the logistics of blending their households (where in Lorelai's house was Max supposed to fit his stuff?), and Lorelai kept forgetting to give Max a key to her/their place.

Edited by Hera
Fixing a typo
On 8/22/2021 at 2:21 PM, andromeda331 said:

I think he was trying to find out what his role as Rory's stepfather would be.

On 8/22/2021 at 2:21 PM, andromeda331 said:

But he did need to know what his role was. A lot of parents and stepparents don't figure that out before they get married which leads to a lot of problems that could have been avoided if they had.

His role would have been this:
"Young lady, wait 'til your Mother gets home. Now go to your room !"

1 hour ago, SJC said:

Or alternatively (Lorelai's preference) "Young lady, wait 'til your mother gets home. Now, I'm going to my room. Out back. Over the garage."

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Or alternatively (Lorelai's preference) "Young lady, wait 'til your mother gets home. Now, I'm going to my room. Out back. Over the garage."

LOL !! 😅
And than, to add insult to injury Lorelai would take Rory's side 100% !  

Edited by SJC

Except in reality it would have been: "Young lady, wait 'til your Mother gets home... to giggle about how you made out with a boy and make a dumb joke and then go 'Dirty!' so you, Rory, can roll your eyes about how much more mature you are THAN YOUR MOTHER and THEN you can go to your room.  Where she will probably wake you up in the middle of the night because there's a boy in her room."

Or Rory goes to her room & Lorelai bursts in her room the next morning while Rory is trying to sleep and chatters her head off about naughty Rory making out with a guy, driving Rory to madness, then pretends to not understand why Rory is being crabby.  smh

Remember this ?
Rory feels cranky this morning

Edited by SJC
44 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I somehow fail to see why Max should have had any say in Rory's life and what she did, seeing as how she was 16 when Lorelai dated him and didn't need any sort of father figure.

Right? I thought that was presumptuous of him. Like Lorelai said, she was raised. Done.