Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I think that Christopher genuinely loves her and genuinely likes her.He could have been a father that had no contact/interest in teen!baby's life, but Lorelai mentioned in the first season that he does call Rory once a week and Rory was overjoyed to see when he first returned. He wasn't a stranger to her.  He is proud of her and ashamed he didn't have more to do with it, which I suspect had something to do with his distance from her, he felt he wasn't good enough for her. My sister once told me that she thought 35 is a time of "healing" for a lot of guys, for them to settle down and get married, and Christopher was 32 when he first born turned 16, so by the time he really thought better of it, Rory was getting ready to go off to college. 

I put a big emphasis on Lorelai's maybe with the "We hear from him maybe once a week. MAYBE" as Lorelai was arguing to Sookie how infrequently he checks in. And even then, I don't know how often Christopher spoke to Rory instead of just Lorelai in those phone calls. Not often enough to know that Rory had her first boyfriend or her studying routine.  It had to be infrequent enough that there was a reason why Lorelai and Rory kept praising Christopher for doing SO MUCH BETTER when it really was clear that Christopher was finally speaking to Rory once a week in S2-3. The fact that Rory was thrilled to see him in S1 means nothing on Christopher's merit as a father. This says far more about Rory's instinctive longing to be connected to more of her family than just her mom. Through the series, she ended up building that connection with her grandparents but becoming more and more disillusioned with Christopher.  

I think for a rich, privileged boy who had a father in his life and in the lives of his peers, for a guy living in New England or purposelessly drifting away, for a guy who was still in love with Lorelai and had his own romantic motives to flutter about her, he did less than the bare minimum of what I'd expect in terms of fathering. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Melancholy said:

I think for a rich, privileged boy who had a father in his life and in the lives of his peers, for a guy living in New England or purposelessly drifting away, for a guy who was still in love with Lorelai and had his own romantic motives to flutter about her, he did less than the bare minimum of what I'd expect in terms of fathering. 

I agree, yet I think that also explains why Christopher didn't know how to be a father in a situation that wasn't like his own family.  If you grew up in a family that revolved around the father and his job, a father who didn't spend one-on-one time with his son just because he enjoyed it,  there is no role model for being Rory Gilmore's father.  I don't think that excuses the kind of father he was, by any means, but it helps me understand why he was like that.  And I would never blame Lorelai for not encouraging him more or leaving a place in their lives for him because life goes on regardless.  Also, my guess would be the purposefully drifting farther away was because of his parents who clearly didn't want him to have anything to do with Rory or Lorelai.  Sure, he didn't have to listen to them as an adult but we also don't know if there were financial considerations dependent on Strobe's approval.

2 hours ago, shron17 said:

I agree, yet I think that also explains why Christopher didn't know how to be a father in a situation that wasn't like his own family.  If you grew up in a family that revolved around the father and his job, a father who didn't spend one-on-one time with his son just because he enjoyed it,  there is no role model for being Rory Gilmore's father.  I don't think that excuses the kind of father he was, by any means, but it helps me understand why he was like that.  And I would never blame Lorelai for not encouraging him more or leaving a place in their lives for him because life goes on regardless.  Also, my guess would be the purposefully drifting farther away was because of his parents who clearly didn't want him to have anything to do with Rory or Lorelai.  Sure, he didn't have to listen to them as an adult but we also don't know if there were financial considerations dependent on Strobe's approval.

I never blamed Lorelai either. His father's own attitude to his first born granddaughter didn't help much either, and it seemed that Christopher's mother lacked Emily's spine, and there was so much even she could do to see Rory until the opportunity present itself . But I stand by my initial statement: he loved Rory and was proud of her and ashamed of himself for not being more active in her upbringing. I think when he started thinking better of it, at around his late 20s/early 30s, when many of the boys he grew up with were getting married having their first children, he had daughter that was the same age as him when he became a father.  

29 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

But I stand by my initial statement: he loved Rory and was proud of her and ashamed of himself for not being more active in her upbringing. I think when he started thinking better of it, at around his late 20s/early 30s, when many of the boys he grew up with were getting married having their first children, he had daughter that was the same age as him when he became a father.  

I also think this was the basis for his attraction to Lorelai--he thought if they were married it would cancel out his mistakes and put him in his proper place in his daughter's life.  

2 minutes ago, shron17 said:

I also think this was the basis for his attraction to Lorelai--he thought if they were married it would cancel out his mistakes and put him in his proper place in his daughter's life.  

I think that was Christopher's problem, while Lorelai almost reveled in her black sheep status of being a teen mom, Chris wanted to "make it right", but not in what Rory needed, but what those elite expected. He needed to realize that actually didn't need to be an all or nothing with Lorelai and Rory but he was a pretty immature kid. Lorelei problem with Christopher wasn't that he wasn't a common, everyday presence in Rory's life, it he never used the time away from raising a child to get his shit together. One of the reasons she didn't marry him was so he could take necessary time to get his shit together, since she pretty much lucked into meeting Mia and working at the inn. He kept self sabotaging himself for whatever reason.

8 hours ago, shron17 said:

I agree with all of that. I do think it helps with understanding. However to the extent that I'm going to sympathize with deadbeat dads, my sympathy chips are pretty used up by fathers who didn't have a father in their own lives and lack a frame of reference to be a father or the moral system that a father, at least, provides for their child. Chris's privileged rich nuclear-family didn't give him the perspective on how to be a father to an out-of-wedlock baby when the mother didn't consent to a shotgun wedding. Yes, it's fact but I have no sympathy for Chris over any of it. And I even consider myself a soft touch on feeling sympathy for TV characters- but Christopher really stands out a guy who had everything, whether it's the advantages of his birth or having Rory as a daughter, and threw it away out of sheer indolence and self-centerededness.

I'll agree that Chris started to feel guilty in his early 30s that he wasn't involved in Rory's life because he was seeing men his own age be involved fathers. However, it never seemed to amount to much or enough for me to say that he came to really love Rory as a father should. He started up a weekly phone call program in S2-3, but then seemed to drop off the face of the earth in S4 and early S5 where he focused on Lorelai, dropped contact with Rory in the second half of S5/start of S6 once Lorelai firmly shut him out of her life, and to his credit, only started to get involved as a dad in the second of half of S6-7 after Rory was particularly all grown. 

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:01 PM, Melancholy said:

I agree with all of that. I do think it helps with understanding. However to the extent that I'm going to sympathize with deadbeat dads, my sympathy chips are pretty used up by fathers who didn't have a father in their own lives and lack a frame of reference to be a father or the moral system that a father, at least, provides for their child. Chris's privileged rich nuclear-family didn't give him the perspective on how to be a father to an out-of-wedlock baby when the mother didn't consent to a shotgun wedding. Yes, it's fact but I have no sympathy for Chris over any of it. And I even consider myself a soft touch on feeling sympathy for TV characters- but Christopher really stands out a guy who had everything, whether it's the advantages of his birth or having Rory as a daughter, and threw it away out of sheer indolence and self-centerededness.

I'll agree that Chris started to feel guilty in his early 30s that he wasn't involved in Rory's life because he was seeing men his own age be involved fathers. However, it never seemed to amount to much or enough for me to say that he came to really love Rory as a father should. He started up a weekly phone call program in S2-3, but then seemed to drop off the face of the earth in S4 and early S5 where he focused on Lorelai, dropped contact with Rory in the second half of S5/start of S6 once Lorelai firmly shut him out of her life, and to his credit, only started to get involved as a dad in the second of half of S6-7 after Rory was particularly all grown. 

I agree. I really don't have any sympathy for Christopher either. I always thought the weekly calls started because he was trying to impress Sherry not anything that had to do with Rory. Sherry was the one who seemed impressed with that and really wanted to meet Rory. I really think if Sherry had no interested in Rory, Christopher those calls never would have happened.

On 19/12/2016 at 5:35 PM, Enigma X said:

I don't like Christopher, but I do think he loves Rory. I also find him weak though. My problem with Christopher and fathers (parents) like Christopher is this halfway in/halfway out thing. I get that at 16 he became a dad and may have been too young to process it. If, at some point, he felt a need to be a dad he either should have committed to being in for the long haul and if not, he should have stayed away. This part time dad thing he seemed to be doing during Rory's formative years (where he was not financially or emotionally supporting Rory) does not fly with me.

I think that Christopher just didn't know how to do the part-time Dad thing, he seemed genuine enough when he was urging Lorelai to give it another go in season 1 so that he, Lorelai, and Rory could all be a family, and then didn't have much clue of where to take it from there with Rory when Lorelai turns him down. And I know a lot of people believe that he never cared about being a father to Rory, that Lorelai was all he cared about there, but then that doesn't really line up with 

Spoiler

the end of season 2 when things are not good between him and Sherry, and it looks like he's about to get all he ever wanted with Lorelai, yet he goes back to Sherry as soon as he finds out about her pregnancy. He could have easily stayed with Lorelai and Rory, while having some kind of joint custody arrangement with Sherry, but for whatever reason he always seemed to believe that it was all or nothing when it comes to raising your kid. It was as if he believed that you're either part of a traditional household with a father and a mother married and supporting one another, or otherwise there's just no real role for the man to play. 

On 3/18/2017 at 0:25 PM, Frelling Tralk said:

I think that Christopher just didn't know how to do the part-time Dad thing, he seemed genuine enough when he was urging Lorelai to give it another go in season 1 so that he, Lorelai, and Rory could all be a family, and then didn't have much clue of where to take it from there with Rory when Lorelai turns him down. And I know a lot of people believe that he never cared about being a father to Rory, that Lorelai was all he cared about there, but then that doesn't really line up with 

Reveal hidden contents

the end of season 2 when things are not good between him and Sherry, and it looks like he's about to get all he ever wanted with Lorelai, yet he goes back to Sherry as soon as he finds out about her pregnancy. He could have easily stayed with Lorelai and Rory, while having some kind of joint custody arrangement with Sherry, but for whatever reason he always seemed to believe that it was all or nothing when it comes to raising your kid. It was as if he believed that you're either part of a traditional household with a father and a mother married and supporting one another, or otherwise there's just no real role for the man to play. 

Yes. I have always seen Chris as a guy who wants the traditional nuclear family. That's how he was raised, and when Lorelai became pregnant he proposed marriage because that is what he is supposed to do. He doesn't know where he fits in the girls family because to him, being a father is living at home with the family and going to work everyday. I know I'm biased because I know men who think just like this. Granted, they are men from a different culture than Christopher but I think if you grow up with that type of mindset it seeps in. 

Spoiler

It would have been far easier for Chris to stay with Lorelai and Rory, but he chose to step up and do what he thought was the right thing. Richard even agreed with him, as I think it is something Richard also would have done. It goes back to Richard's argument with Lorelai in season 1 where he tells her sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the family. 

Researching season 1...does it make sense that I would habe been cool with like and Lorelei being end game if they stayed the way they were written in season 1?

I liked Louise and Madeline and think it was a crime neither came back for the Netflix revival especially during the Chilton revival.

17 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Researching season 1...does it make sense that I would habe been cool with like and Lorelei being end game if they stayed the way they were written in season 1?

I liked Louise and Madeline and think it was a crime neither came back for the Netflix revival especially during the Chilton revival.

Yet, they had to bring in "Not Tristen" because of reasons in the revival, and it wasn't like Louise and Madeline were not busy to make an appearance since AS-P couldn't get CMM to return.

On 3/28/2016 at 7:41 PM, cantbeflapped said:

Rory's Dance - Great episode (mostly the Lorelai/Emily stuff), but hard to watch. The mother/daughter fights at the end were so well done and exactly the kind of stuff I think people would say in the heat of the moment...e.g. Lorelai's, "I don't know mom....what kind of mom were you?"

Glad they dropped the Sookie as a druggie thing.

I don't think Sookie's bag of drugs was implying she was a "druggie", but was in line with the "Sookie is clumsy and hurts herself a lot" plotline,  Of course she would have a bag full of meds - she was probably on a first name basis with everyone at the Emergency Room as well as her local pharmacy...

Watching Paris is Burning on re-watch and I actually really liked it.  Throughout season 1 and all of the time prior to Paris/Rory becoming real friends, it was obvious to me that Paris saw Rory as someone with whom she actually had things in common, unlike the sex-starved twit Louise and the flighty Madeline.  Rory was serious and driven and smart, and those were qualities Paris valued and admired.  It took a loooong time for Paris to not see Rory as a constant threat to her Chilton supremacy and to get past her own half-crazed insecurity to give that friendship a chance.  But, Paris is Burning is the first time we see a glimmer of that.  We see her vulnerability.  Rory, on her part, was a kind girl and an outsider at Chilton who simply wanted a friend at her new school.  But I liked that she called Paris on her behavior and made her see how hurtful she'd been.  It was a small step toward their eventual friendship and I loved it.  

I just did a season 1-6 rewatch.  Season 1 is interesting. I’m glad I was a Netflixer GG fan.  If I’d have caught the first few episodes of GG I don’t think I’d have kept watching. Rory/Lorelei had no onscreen chemistry at alllllllll. I know Alexis was a green actress, but it was pretty cringe.  Actually the first time Rory seemed like RORY was during Kill Me Now with Richard.  In fact, it wasn’t until Rory & Dean broke up the first time that I felt that mother/daughter thing between them (though I never felt that the two of them had some extra special bond?  Maybe it’s just me 🤷🏻‍♀️)   

I really did like Max in season 1.  It’s funny because the closer they got to the wedding in season 2 the less I liked him.  ...but season 1 Max is pretty great.  I loathe Dean, and actually used him as a boyfriend chat with my daughter.  “Signs your boyfriend is a creeper.”

I liked Rachel.  She was so much better than Nicole in S3/4.  She deserved better than the crap treatment she got from Luke & Lorelei. The episode where she went shopping for Rachel’s birthday gift was so over the top inappropriate. I’d rather get cat potholders that meow from my guy than get a gift bought by another woman.  Even “just a friend”. 

Emily in Wonderland was sad.  I left home at 18 because my mother & I spoke two different emotional languages (mental illness was in play) and we never spoke again (her choice) so I’m harder on Lorelei than I should be.  At least Emily IS well intentioned, bitchy & elitist, but she loves both Rory and Lorelei.  I’d give anything for that.   

8 hours ago, Meow25 said:

I really did like Max in season 1.  It’s funny because the closer they got to the wedding in season 2 the less I liked him.  ...but season 1 Max is pretty great.  I loathe Dean, and actually used him as a boyfriend chat with my daughter.  “Signs your boyfriend is a creeper.”

LOL, I felt Max was creepy and pushy while Dean was naively incapable of dealing with an ambitious Rory. Dean did later become stalkerish. 

Subconsciously or not, I think Max, who knew how to manage his students, recognized Lorelai’s immaturity and used it to get what he wanted, which was her. Not that he was evil, he just wanted her and almost got her. If he hadn’t gone to Canada I think he would have succeeded.

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

When did Max go to Canada? I remember him going to California to teach a class at Stanford.

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Me too.

In Hammer and Vails he was going to Toronto and be gone for two months. Stanford was where he went sometime after they broke off. Not exactly sure when since he was in the episode in season two when Rory goes back to school. But then wasn't seen again until The Big One in season three. 

2 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

In Hammer and Vails he was going to Toronto and be gone for two months. Stanford was where he went sometime after they broke off. Not exactly sure when since he was in the episode in season two when Rory goes back to school. But then wasn't seen again until The Big One in season three. 

Wow, I completely forgot about that.  Max barely made any impression on me but at least he was better than Jason.

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Wow, I completely forgot about that.  Max barely made any impression on me but at least he was better than Jason.

I liked Max as a teacher. I hated him for keeping trying to date Lorelai and blowing off her concerns about it effect Rory and Chilton probably didn't allow it. But then when it did get out and Max did get hauled into the Headmaster's office and reamed. Its too much for him and they break up. Oh, so now its too much for him? When exactly what Lorelai said and worried about happened. Where's your not worrying about that now Max? I know Lorelai messed up too. But he acted like it was no big deal until he got in trouble and then no he couldn't handle it.

The whole proposal thing made absolutely no sense. Him asking and deciding he was ready and in love with her. When Max? You dated for two months then broke up for a few months and only got back together. We don't even really know how long they dated when getting back together because they started out by talking on the phone for a few weeks and mentioned going on a date in the episode in the second to last episode of the season. Then the next one he proposes. How many dates did they go on by that point? One? Two? Then gets all jealous over Luke and after he leaves gets all on Lorelai about how long they dated, and not believing her when she tells him they hadn't dated. Then he announces he did date which surprises Lorelai and is a little hurt that he slept with someone while they were broke. But then she brings up that she slept with Christopher and now suddenly Max doesn't want to talk about it. Oh so now he doesn't want to talk about it. He was happy to tell Lorelai that he dated someone else and slept with that person. But hearing Lorelai slept with someone. Nope, he's done. He didn't mean it to be contest about who slept with who. But as Lorelai points out he's the one who brought it up in the first place. Yeah Max you sound totally ready for marriage and in love with Lorelai. Max didn't know what else to do because it keeps getting weird. Well not really Max. 

Edited by andromeda331

liked Max as a teacher. I hated him for keeping trying to date Lorelai and blowing off her concerns about it effect Rory and Chilton probably didn't allow it. But then when it did get out and Max did get hauled into the Headmaster's office and reamed. Its too much for him and they break up. Oh, so now its too much for him? When exactly what Lorelai said and worried about happened. Where's your not worrying about that now Max? I know Lorelai messed up too. But he acted like it was no big deal until he got in trouble and then no he couldn't handle it.

I hated that. Like her concerns for her daughter and her own reputation were a thing of no importance but when it came to his job and reputation it was a bridge too far. I also hated the yellow daisies but that was on Lorelai.

6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I hated that. Like her concerns for her daughter and her own reputation were a thing of no importance but when it came to his job and reputation it was a bridge too far. 

Exactly!  

I also hated the yellow daisies but that was on Lorelai.

I don't mind the daisies. Lorelai seems like the type to like an over the top proposal. But she was right when she said a proposal should be more then a way to end a bickering contest. I still have no idea why Max proposed or why he thought that would solve their problems. Sure, Max that always works. Maybe try dating for three consecutive months and see what happens? Odds are good they would have realized it wasn't going to work out and broken up.

15 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Exactly!  

I don't mind the daisies. Lorelai seems like the type to like an over the top proposal. But she was right when she said a proposal should be more then a way to end a bickering contest. I still have no idea why Max proposed or why he thought that would solve their problems. Sure, Max that always works. Maybe try dating for three consecutive months and see what happens? Odds are good they would have realized it wasn't going to work out and broken up.

That's like people who have babies to fix their marriages. Like yeah, that always makes everything go smoother.

52 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I liked Max as a teacher. I hated him for keeping trying to date Lorelai and blowing off her concerns about it effect Rory and Chilton probably didn't allow it.

This completely sums up how I feel about Max. I actually thought he was a pretty awesome teacher (especially because he #1 - didn't let Rory skate on the 15-minutes-late-to-the-test thing, but also #2 - came up with a way she could do extra credit work to help make up for it) but it was downright unforgivable that after breaking up after the Parent's Day Kiss which not only put his job in jeopardy but also humiliated Rory and made her a target for the other students, he and Lorelai then decided after a few phone calls that they were ready to risk that all again because they didn't want to keep their hands off each other. OMG. It makes my blood boil just thinking about it. HATE.

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

As a floral designer I found them offensive. Michel had a few choice words about them and for once I agreed with him.

Question peaches, every time I see that scene I think there are WAYYY more than a thousand yellow daises. Our marina, which has beautifully landscaped grounds, had large beds of daises planted one year. I stopped one day to count how many there were in a patch much smaller than in that scene, and was at over 200 before I stopped counting. My husband saw me staring at the daises, and asked me what I was looking at. When I told him the truth, I thought his eyes were going to roll out of head, lol.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Question peaches, every time I see that scene I think there are WAYYY more than a thousand yellow daises. Our marina, which has beautifully landscaped grounds, had large beds of daises planted one year. I stopped one day to count how many there were in a patch much smaller than in that scene, and was at over 200 before I stopped counting. My husband saw me staring at the daises, and asked me what I was looking at. When I told him the truth, I thought his eyes were going to roll out of head, lol.

There was more then a thousand. I think ASP or someone on the show said they tried a thousand at first and it didn't really look like a lot or have the effect they were looking for so they added a ton more. 

45 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

There was more then a thousand. I think ASP or someone on the show said they tried a thousand at first and it didn't really look like a lot or have the effect they were looking for so they added a ton more. 

That makes sense. It definitely had the visual they were going for. The scientist in me couldn't keep from saying it wasn't correct.

In The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, there's a plot line where she should have a quirky request in her contracts. Her manager decides when she is on the road, her room should be filled with teddy bears. When Mrs. Maisel walks into her first room, it is filled with yellow teddy bears. I thought, wow, Amy sure does like yellow overkill!

1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

I've long since decided to tell myself what Max did was order a thousand bouquets of yellow daisies, because there being a thousand vases crammed in there is way more plausible than a thousand single flowers.

I can only imagine how much money he spent on that (wasted, in the end) gesture. Lord have mercy.

GG121-01162.jpg

14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Some of them were clearly potted.

And are those even daisies? They kind of look like Daisy mums to me.

Yep, those were mums. Most commercially grown "daisies" are mums. Real daisies (Shasta daisies) stink to high heaven. I rarely used mums unless specifically asked to because I think they look cheap. As to the color, there is an old expression in floral design: Yellow don't sell-o. They probably got a good deal because you usually can't give yellow daisies away.

Edited by peacheslatour
On 1/22/2020 at 10:14 AM, peacheslatour said:

As to the color, there is an old expression in floral design: Yellow don't sell-o. They probably got a good deal because you usually can't give yellow daisies away.

This makes me feel bad for all the yellow flowers so I hereby declare that I will start buying yellow whenever I get the urge for flowers. 

3 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

This makes me feel bad for all the yellow flowers so I hereby declare that I will start buying yellow whenever I get the urge for flowers. 

Yellow was my mom's favorite color so I always have something in my flower beds for her.  Too bad they have a bad rap!

On 1/22/2020 at 11:14 AM, peacheslatour said:

Yellow don't sell-o. They probably got a good deal because you usually can't give yellow daisies away.

Max "I'd like 1000 daisies. But I'm a teacher, so I need a good deal."

Florist: "Is yellow okay? I'll give you 100,000 for the price of 1000."

Max: "Deal!"

Christopher is a feckless spoiled rich boy who lies and smarms his way through life. “Nice top. Take it off.” Are you kidding me? 

HATE him.

(And yes I know I am all alone here because you-all moved on a decade ago, but I just discovered this on Netflix and I find myself hollering at the screen. I might be a tad overinvolved.)

4 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Christopher is a feckless spoiled rich boy who lies and smarms his way through life. “Nice top. Take it off.” Are you kidding me? 

HATE him.

(And yes I know I am all alone here because you-all moved on a decade ago, but I just discovered this on Netflix and I find myself hollering at the screen. I might be a tad overinvolved.)

You're certainly not alone on your dislike of Christopher - I think we've had to rent a banquet hall to accommodate that group. And no, we have not moved on a decade ago, as you can see how active this forum is.

13 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

“Nice top. Take it off.” Are you kidding me? 

AND this in front of his 15 year old daughter who barely knows him. What a putz.

Okay, I recently watched the Donna Reed episode and the Prodigal Douche Daddy returns episode (no idea what it was called) and I am having a lot of feelings.

First, Lorelai, treating Luke as “a friend” makes me seriously question your sanity. Look at that man. He made you a Santa burger and drove you to the hospital. Girl? And you stood him up AND had sex with skeevy Christopher? WTF?

Second, Rory dressing up like Donna Reed and catering to Dean is seven kinds of creepy. At first I thought she was trying to make a point, but he was into it way too much and that half-hearted mumble about liking who she was convinced no one. Ick.

Clearly I am overly involved already and it’s only Season 1. OTOH, I only watch this on the treadmill and I expect to burn all kinds of extra calories yelling at Lorelai.

Oh, and I went to a private high school (and started there midyear I just remembered) and there was always a good-looking snake like Tristan who took pride in preying on the new girls. Bonus points if they were “Mary” types. 

10 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Okay, I recently watched the Donna Reed episode and the Prodigal Douche Daddy returns episode (no idea what it was called) and I am having a lot of feelings.

First, Lorelai, treating Luke as “a friend” makes me seriously question your sanity. Look at that man. He made you a Santa burger and drove you to the hospital. Girl? And you stood him up AND had sex with skeevy Christopher? WTF?

Second, Rory dressing up like Donna Reed and catering to Dean is seven kinds of creepy. At first I thought she was trying to make a point, but he was into it way too much and that half-hearted mumble about liking who she was convinced no one. Ick.

Clearly I am overly involved already and it’s only Season 1. OTOH, I only watch this on the treadmill and I expect to burn all kinds of extra calories yelling at Lorelai.

Many of us rewatch the series, so you are never alone in this forum, lol!  I am in my 4th or so rewatch--I do it every few years.  I do want to say in regard to Christopher--get used to him, his popping in to ruin things does not end here.  So learn to ignore him altogether or just get yourself prepared!  He isn't liked by many, mainly because they use him as a plot twist too many times when it wasn't necessary to a storyline.

As you get into further seasons I think you will see more of the humor and quirkiness really get in full swing.  My advice is to really pay attention to the small moments as there are some really good ones.  It is easy for all of us to get annoyed at certain aspects of the storylines or character development issues--but the key to this show is that there is so much content in every episode and some seasons really have great moments to enjoy.  

16 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

HATE him.

There's a lot of people who hate Christopher including me. I tend to rant about him a lot. 

11 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

There's a lot of people who hate Christopher including me. I tend to rant about him a lot. 

As I've said before, I refuse to even watch the Christophercentric ones. Life is too short for that much aggravation.

Season 1 is so good......enjoy Oldernowwiser. Are you spoiled for anything in the show? 

I don't skip the Christopher eps but I agree he's an asshole.

1 hour ago, cleo said:

Season 1 is so good......enjoy Oldernowwiser. Are you spoiled for anything in the show? 

I don't skip the Christopher eps but I agree he's an asshole.

So today it was the Rory/Dean two-parter, and instead of being on the treadmill for 45 minutes it was 90+ minutes and as I am no youngster, this show may eventually kill me.

My thoughts...

See, I love Luke. He’s stumbling along through life being cranky and confused but kind and him putting Dean in a headlock was all kinds of wrong and inappropriate but his intentions were to save the GG from any pain he could. Stupid but well-intentioned.

Rachel can fuck back off with her perfect curls and her SLR camera and her overly groomed eyebrows. She’s going to clobber Luke again, isn’t she?

Richard realizing that Chase was an utter tool and covering for Lorelai redeemed him from the post-Christopher nastiness of two episodes ago.

Dean. You’re both 16. Exactly where did you think this was going to end up? 

I get fed up with Lorelai acting a fool in her own life all too often but then she redeems herself with how she comforts and supports Rory. She’s a great mom. Ditzy, but great.

Lane’s forced march through the Firelight Festival with her”date” and 25 of their relatives was hysterical. But sad. #freeLane!

This ends my totally unrequested feedback on my ongoing obsession with Gilmore Girls. For now.

ETA: Michel is STRAIGHT? Did not expect that.

3 minutes ago, chessiegal said:
  Hide contents

Guess again.

Was he not on the phone cooing away to someone named Daphne?

I will confess, though, that between my hearing and the noise of the treadmill I frequently can’t understand Michel...I end up trying to lip read.

2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Lane’s forced march through the Firelight Festival with her”date” and 25 of their relatives was hysterical.

I was literally just thinking of that scene yesterday and laughing my head off about it.

Why? No idea. It's what I do.

Soooo funny!