Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1

• Start Topic

What bothered me more was that shy, meek Rory attracted guys like Dean and Tristan without even trying. Would a douche like Tristan even give Rory the time of day when he was into all the other rich, pretty girls at school? And Dean found her awkward conversations endearing? Please! 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tristan was the first Poor Little Misunderstood Rich Boy With a Mean Daddy.  We were apparently supposed to feel sorry for him and justify his hateful behavior because of his "tragic" family situation.  Fast forward to Logan and apply the same logic.  Taken straight from the ASP book of recyclable characters.

15 hours ago, twoods said:

What bothered me more was that shy, meek Rory attracted guys like Dean and Tristan without even trying. Would a douche like Tristan even give Rory the time of day when he was into all the other rich, pretty girls at school? And Dean found her awkward conversations endearing? Please! 

Physical attraction would also play a role. If Rory were a plain Jane looking girl, I doubt she would have had the male attention she got. I think Dean's initial interest in Rory was due to her looks. Tristan liked her because he probably had never met anyone like Rory before. Smart like Paris, looks like a model, and is shy and sweet. 

1 hour ago, hippielamb said:

Physical attraction would also play a role. If Rory were a plain Jane looking girl, I doubt she would have had the male attention she got. I think Dean's initial interest in Rory was due to her looks. Tristan liked her because he probably had never met anyone like Rory before. Smart like Paris, looks like a model, and is shy and sweet. 

I am fairly positive this is true. Remembering the pilot, we know that Dean had been watching Rory for quite some time before he actually talked to her. He watched her so much that he kind of figured out her pattern before their first interaction. He obviously found her intriguing, but physical attraction played more of a role since he had no idea what she was like as a person before that, besides that she liked to read a lot:

DEAN: Uh, well, I've been watching you.
RORY: Watching me?
DEAN: I mean, not in a creepy, like, "I'm watching you" sort of way. I just -- I've noticed you.
RORY: Me?
DEAN: Yeah.
RORY: When?
DEAN: Every day. After school you come out and you sit under that tree there and you read. Last week it was Madame Bovary. This week it's Moby Dick.
RORY: But why would you --
DEAN: Because you're nice to look at, and because you've got unbelievable concentration.
RORY: What?
DEAN: Last Friday these two guys were tossing around a ball and one guy nailed the other right in the face. I mean, it was a mess, blood everywhere, the nurse came out, the place was in chaos, his girlfriend was all freaking out, and you just sat there and read. I mean, you never even looked up. I thought, "I have never seen anyone read so intensely before in my entire life. I have to meet that girl."

With Tristan, it seems like he's initially interested in her because of her looks as well (the fact that she looks innocent and virgin-like, hence the Mary nickname) but I also can believe that he initially was curious about her because she was so new to the school. Chilton seemed to be a school where almost all the kids went to school together from a young age, so having a new kid was like bait for them. 

Ugh yes, the mysterious but all powerful Rory-force attracting any guy in her radius. (Except that guy in the laundry room in S4. Possibly scientists should have checked his blood for some biological resistance that saved him from pining for Rory Gilmore for the rest of his life).  

As a whole, I could believe Dean would like Rory: She was the bambi-eyed, town sweetheart that his wholesome, boy next door type would go for. And physical attractiveness totally played into it; their initial relationship felt 100% like the giddy, teenage infatuations where who you fall for doesn't follow the common sense of similar interests or compatible personalities. (Which is why they should have been like most teenage relationships and parted ways permanently in s3 after realizing they had little in common). 

With Marty and Jess, I felt the writers built up their friendship/similar interests with Rory enough that I could believe they'd like her. (Particularly Jess). But I never, never, never understood why the wealthy, attractive, extroverted and super popular Tristan and Tristan 2.0 (also known as Logan) were so besotted by awkward, wallflower Rory. Made no sense when they were surrounded by other equally attractive and intelligent girls at places like Chilton and Yale. (Let alone that Rory was enough to "reform" them and make them want to be better people). 

Edited by TimetravellingBW

But I never, never, never understood why the wealthy, attractive, extroverted and super popular Tristan and Tristan 2.0 (also known as Logan) were so besotted by awkward, wallflower Rory.

As far as Tristan goes, he was still in high school and probably not as confident as his exterior image would portray - it's precisely the awkward shy wallflower girls that high school guys like that go for, because they can make them uncomfortable and always feel like they have the upper hand, especially when the girl is new.  Just being established in the social hierarchy means you can get away with a lot of crap because everyone else knows you and will give you the benefit of the doubt.  Those other smart pretty girls at Chilton? Would eat Tristan alive because they're years ahead of him socially.  (As in fact we see with ... the girlfriend that broke his heart.  Whose name I don't remember - Crystal?)

Logan is a different story.

But I never, never, never understood why the wealthy, attractive, extroverted and super popular Tristan and Tristan 2.0 (also known as Logan) were so besotted by awkward, wallflower Rory.

As far as Tristan goes, he was still in high school and probably not as confident as his exterior image would portray - it's precisely the awkward shy wallflower girls that high school guys like that go for, because they can make them uncomfortable and always feel like they have the upper hand, especially when the girl is new.  Just being established in the social hierarchy means you can get away with a lot of crap because everyone else knows you and will give you the benefit of the doubt.  Those other smart pretty girls at Chilton? Would eat Tristan alive because they're years ahead of him socially.  (As in fact we see with ... the girlfriend that broke his heart.  Whose name I don't remember - Crystal?)

Ugh, rewatching Christopher's 1st ep -- I'd forgotten that he willfully ignores the No Cellphones sign at Luke's.  I handwave Lorelei's flouting of the rule (it was one of the ways she flirted with Luke), but for Chris -- well, it was the first indication, for me at least, that he had douche qualities.

10 minutes ago, voiceover said:

Ugh, rewatching Christopher's 1st ep -- I'd forgotten that he willfully ignores the No Cellphones sign at Luke's.  I handwave Lorelei's flouting of the rule (it was one of the ways she flirted with Luke), but for Chris -- well, it was the first indication, for me at least, that he had douche qualities.

Plus he kept dissing the town and the people in front of Rory. This town where his daughter grew up and which she obviously loves and the people who helped raise his daughter. Urgh it still makes me angry! 

Sometimes I love how quirky the town is, then there are times like their reaction to Rory and Dean breaking up which is ridiculous. They had no idea what happened and Dean is the town pariah. And it gives the writers a chance to have the unnecessary Rory and Tristan drama. 

I was always on board with Luke and Lorelai but I also really liked her with Max. He was a nice guy and they always had terrific chemistry. 

I also really liked Henry. Too bad Lane never ended with him and instead got stuck with annoying Zach. 

Edited by twoods

I'm always jarred by the different living room set at the elder Gilmore's house in Season 1. And I wonder why they ditched the mayor story line and decided to focus on Taylor and make him such a PITA. He's just the grocer in Season 1.

After watching repeats way too many times I am going to declare that my favorite episodes of the entire series is Forgiveness and Stuff.  It just has so many wonderful moments.  Great chemistry between L&L, great mother-daughter moments with L&R, nice interactions between Luke and Emily, and the gently spoken "Yes, Emily, you may go first" line.  Just a great episode all the way around.

The Luke and Emily conversation is one of my favorites, especially  the bit where Emily is expecting to hear that Lorelai has only thought of her parents as monsters, only to find out that she and Lorelai agree; Richard is a pretty good guy who tried to do the right thing for his family.  Emily could have thought Luke was lying out of kindness, but it recalls Lorelai's great line on their drive to the hospital - "it's just the uh, daughter part....I don't have down yet." 

On 9/13/2016 at 9:43 PM, betsyboo said:

By God, but was Tristan a douche. that's all. carry on. (Just finished LD&T)

I disliked him from the start. 

1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

After watching repeats way too many times I am going to declare that my favorite episodes of the entire series is Forgiveness and Stuff.  It just has so many wonderful moments.  Great chemistry between L&L, great mother-daughter moments with L&R, nice interactions between Luke and Emily, and the gently spoken "Yes, Emily, you may go first" line.  Just a great episode all the way around.

That's my number two favorite episode. Dead Uncles tops it by a hair.

18 hours ago, voiceover said:

Lorelai does it when Luke isn't even around. I think to dismiss her breaking the rules as flirting and Chris' as a sign of a terrible moral failing is a bit extreme.

But I also have noticed that all the characters give us chances to focus on the good (if we like the character) and the bad (if we don't).

20 hours ago, voiceover said:

I saw it as a hint of how similar he is to Lorelai.

19 hours ago, elang4 said:

Plus he kept dissing the town and the people in front of Rory. This town where his daughter grew up and which she obviously loves and the people who helped raise his daughter. Urgh it still makes me angry! 

The townies acted bizarre, even for Stars Hollow standards. Following Chris and gossiping via their walkie talkies/cellphones was loony. Then hearing them talk about him behind his back. Yikes

19 hours ago, twoods said:

Sometimes I love how quirky the town is, then there are times like their reaction to Rory and Dean breaking up which is ridiculous. They had no idea what happened and Dean is the town pariah. And it gives the writers a chance to have the unnecessary Rory and Tristan drama. 

I was always on board with Luke and Lorelai but I also really liked her with Max. He was a nice guy and they always had terrific chemistry. 

I also really liked Henry. Too bad Lane never ended with him and instead got stuck with annoying Zach. 

I didn't like it either. Dean did nothing wrong and he was treated like he broke innocent Rory's heart. Meanwhile, Rory knew why they broke up and was perfectly fine with her mother and the whole town sympathizing with her.

Also, really liked Max. 

I never really understood quite what happened with Rory and Dean's break-up. I mean, from what we see on-screen, Dean says those fateful three words, 'I love you', and Rory freezes. Then Dean gets embarrassed and upset and rushes away, leaving Rory to rush home, equally embarrassed and upset, whereupon she tells Lorelai that they broke up. Next thing we know, news of this break-up is all over town and Dean is being given a hard time by everyone - but at no point do we see them having an actual conversation in which breaking up is discussed. Rory just assumes they have broken up because Dean ran off, and Dean I guess learns about this break up when he leaves his house to find the entire town turning on him for breaking Rory's heart. It turns into such a huge thing from such a little storm in a tea cup - Dean overreacts and then Rory overreacts to this overreaction, and then the entire town overreacts, and that's really all it is!

3 hours ago, deaja said:

Lorelai does it when Luke isn't even around. I think to dismiss her breaking the rules as flirting and Chris' as a sign of a terrible moral failing is a bit extreme

I don't equate "douche" to "terrible moral failing", so not sure how you got that.   Although it can be argued that his absence from his daughter's life IS the latter (though that wasn't my point), ignoring signs that don't endanger public health is just annoying.   

And of course we tolerate qualities and actions in people we like that we condemn in people we don't.

3 hours ago, Llywela said:

I never really understood quite what happened with Rory and Dean's break-up. I mean, from what we see on-screen, Dean says those fateful three words, 'I love you', and Rory freezes. Then Dean gets embarrassed and upset and rushes away, leaving Rory to rush home, equally embarrassed and upset, whereupon she tells Lorelai that they broke up. Next thing we know, news of this break-up is all over town and Dean is being given a hard time by everyone - but at no point do we see them having an actual conversation in which breaking up is discussed. Rory just assumes they have broken up because Dean ran off, and Dean I guess learns about this break up when he leaves his house to find the entire town turning on him for breaking Rory's heart. It turns into such a huge thing from such a little storm in a tea cup - Dean overreacts and then Rory overreacts to this overreaction, and then the entire town overreacts, and that's really all it is!

I don't remember Dean storming off. I watched it yesterday and he says, pouting, that he'll take her home, and when she walks in the door she tells her Mom they broke up, so I always assumed the break up happened on the way home.

So, I'm finally doing my Top Ten rewatch (two days before the revival...) and I'm watching the pilot right now. I totally forgot that Rory was already in school, starting her classes before Chilton. She already had a French paper due. Again, the timeline of the first season is very off, especially comparing it to when Rory's birthday is. The pilot actually has Rory state that it's September. I know, I know, it's a pilot. I gotta let the timeline go. 

But man, Rory was still a good character in season 1. She actually had a lot of charm. Dean, however, is a little creepier upon rewatch. It's mostly the subtle stalking thing he was doing. However, I don't actually dislike him. I just like him less than I did on the first watch. But I love the way Rory first addressed Dean and his looming presence. Her sassy comment just made me smile. 

I did forget about the first of many set changes. The Gilmore House is completely different, Luke's diner of course is different, and even Lorelai and Rory's kitchen is different. Also, Emily opened the front door and not a maid for the pilot, which is definitely different to the later episodes. 

There's one small moment in the pilot that I absolutely love, and it's the clear contrast of Emily/Lorelai vs Richard/Rory. Having Emily and Lorelai down their champagne and having Richard pass Rory a newspaper to read as he is reading his was a wonderful choice for the director to make. 

A Christopher mention in the pilot. Well, clearly at this point, Richard/Emily had no issues with Christopher, with their phone calls, Richard calling Christopher a smart man and saying that Rory got that from Christopher (not Lorelai). They really were trying to set up the reasons for the estrangement between Lorelai and her parents, because both parents were painted in an unfavorable light. But then again, Emily brought up excellent points about Lorelai's wrongdoings. 

And, my new favourite line of the pilot: "Red meat can kill you. Enjoy." 

This is my first time ever watching this show, and I am in the middle of season 2.

My biggest takeaway is that the housing market in Stars Hollow must be pretty good for Lorelei and Sookie to be able to afford those homes, considering where they work. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the show thus far, but...

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the show thus far, but...

Welcome!  And put your suspension of disbelief on the highest setting because you are going to need it a lot as you move through the seasons. Don't try and apply any sort of reasoning on much of what goes on in the Gilmore world.

My favourite first season episode as an adult now is The Concert Interuptus because we see Lorelei and Sookie behaving like adults.  They sacrifice the good seats, kick ass looking for Louisa and the blonde, and feel like best friends.  Plus I loved seeing Paris and Rory bond.  

I will always love Paris.  I love that she lets nothing slide.  That when challenged she thinks about it.  That she isn't ever, ever sweet in this season even getting ready for the date.  Then she is a bundle of nerves.  

One thing the show never did well was blend Lane into Rory' s various group of friends.  I wanted Lane to face off with Paris.  Or chat with Dean.  Or give Tristan the stink eye.  Stuff a best friend would do.  Even Dawson's Creek allowed the core group of people to interact independently of Dawson.

On Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Enigma X said:

This is my first time ever watching this show, and I am in the middle of season 2.

My biggest takeaway is that the housing market in Stars Hollow must be pretty good for Lorelei and Sookie to be able to afford those homes, considering where they work. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the show thus far, but...

You know, that's driven me up the wall for ages! When Lorelei moved there in '84 as a teenage mom, she was a maid at the Inn, and in sixteen years, she's got a house I can assume is older than WWI and all while raising a kid on her own with little to no help from Rory's dad or her parents...?

I'm no math major, but that shit don't add up :p

I could be wrong, but I could swear life-long Star's Hollow resident Sookie's house was the one she grew up in. Somehow I feel that was mentioned along the way. If so, it makes a little more sense. She could've inherited it from her parents and it had long been paid off.

Lorelai affording the crap shack didn't make a lick of sense, unless she had a hugely overinflated salary from Mia. But then I found it hard to believe that they lived in the potting shed right up until they moved to said crap shack. You'd think it would be too small after a few years and Lorelai and Rory would've moved into a small apartment or something. Suspension of disbelief, as stated before, helps a lot for this show:)

I never got the sense that Sookie grew up in Stars Hollow.  I figured she was a transplant when she got the job at the Inn.

You know, it always confuzzled me that Staub and Francine never wanted to see Rory ever.  I totally get that their son fathering a child at 15/16 would have been hugely embarrassing in their heads, but to never want to see their grandchild??? How utterly bizarre, especially since for quite a while she was their only grandchild.  Actually I'm assuming she was it - neither Chris nor Lorelai ever mentioned if he had siblings, did they?  Anyway, shocking that presumably wealthy people with no other grandchildren would want to see the last in their line.

I do think Christopher's absent parenting melded well with his parents' crappy grand-parenting. His parents clearly didn't teach and instill teenage Christopher with values that he had an obligation to care for Rory. Instead, they promoted a doctrine that Rory was a mistake and Lorelai did enough damage just by getting knocked up, let alone asking for anything. And I think in his own way, Christopher internalized that and wrote his own spin that Rory was an obstacle to what could have been a great love between him and Lorelai. 

Spoiler

Made really blatant in the Revival with the "Maybe since you're grown up, your mother is capable of having a romantic relationship and letting a man in."

The circle continues where Straub and Francine get to feel no guilt or worry about Rory because she's such a small part of their son's life. I bet the scandal part was rehashed in screaming matches around the Hayden household but no one ever discussed what Rory was doing now. 

The disastrous Hayden/Gilmore dinner party was always so off to me.  So they presumably meet their granddaughter for the first time.  She is lovely and well-mannered, attending a prestigious private school.  Intelligent.  You'd think they'd want to claim her at that point.  

I never hated Chris, more like I saw him as a person with good intentions but ultimately much too weak to follow through. I wonder how much of his interactions with Rory are colored by the stronger personalities of his parents and of Lorelai. And by this i mean: he was 16 when this went down.  He was willing to marry Lorelai because Richard said so and he cared for Lorelai.  She said no so he went along with that.  A very strong willed Lorelai took Rory after a year and disappeared to Stars Hollow, and whether it was a conscious decision or not on her part, I can believe that she was OK with it then being just the Gilmore girls. And I can DEFINITELY see Straub & Francine taking that move as a way to further haruange Christopher into ignoring a "mistake."

Edited by ChlcGirl
2 hours ago, ChlcGirl said:

I never got the sense that Sookie grew up in Stars Hollow.  I figured she was a transplant when she got the job at the Inn.

You know, it always confuzzled me that Staub and Francine never wanted to see Rory ever.  I totally get that their son fathering a child at 15/16 would have been hugely embarrassing in their heads, but to never want to see their grandchild??? How utterly bizarre, especially since for quite a while she was their only grandchild.  Actually I'm assuming she was it - neither Chris nor Lorelai ever mentioned if he had siblings, did they?  Anyway, shocking that presumably wealthy people with no other grandchildren would want to see the last in their line.

I think in the same episode where Straub (sp) and Francine meet Rory, there was a picture they had where Christopher was holding his nephew. (We, the viewer, did not see the picture.) If it was not in this episode, it was in another.

I am wrong on this!

Edited by Enigma X
Incorrect information

I can't even see Christopher as well intentioned about Rory. I feel like a weak but well intentioned father would come around a few times in the first 16 years to have a fun day with his kid. Call at non arranged times to have Clue 1 about what's happening with his kid. He wouldn't make promises but then only have a 50/50 shot of keeping them. There are ways to write "Dad who loves his kid but is too flakey to be a full time parent" and I actually happen to consider myself a soft touch for those stories but I don't consider Christopher one of those stories. This is a guy who regarded his kid as a mistake and thus, didn't love her, but did feel guilty about that especially because he still loved the mother and wanted to have other kids under better circumstances. 

But yeah, I could believe Straub and Francine drove that. They instructed Christopher to see Rory as a mistake and he believed that enough to not try to bond with her on his own and that hardened the neglect. 

Anyway, I can buy the Hayden's not claiming Rory. I have grandparents and step grandparents that love me and bonded with me. And I have grandparents that rejected me and my siblings for selfish family feud reasons and petty fights with my parents. It happens. 

Edited by Melancholy
1 minute ago, Melancholy said:

I can't even see Christopher as well intentioned about Rory. I feel like a weak but well intentioned father would come around a few times in the first 16 years to have a fun day with his kid. Call at non arranged times to have Clue 1 about what's happening with his kid. He wouldn't make promises but then only have a 50/50 shot of keeping them. There are ways to write "Dad who loves his kid but is too flakey to be a full time parent" and I actually happen to consider myself a soft touch for those stories but I don't consider Christopher one of those stories. This is a guy who regarded his kid as a mistake and thus, didn't love her, but did feel guilty about that especially because he still loved the mother and wanted to have other kids under better circumstances. 

I don't like Christopher, but I do think he loves Rory. I also find him weak though. My problem with Christopher and fathers (parents) like Christopher is this halfway in/halfway out thing. I get that at 16 he became a dad and may have been too young to process it. If, at some point, he felt a need to be a dad he either should have committed to being in for the long haul and if not, he should have stayed away. This part time dad thing he seemed to be doing during Rory's formative years (where he was not financially or emotionally supporting Rory) does not fly with me.

9 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I think in the same episode where Straub (sp) and Francine meet Rory, there was a picture they had where Christopher was holding his nephew. (We, the viewer, did not see the picture.) If it was not in this episode, it was in another.

That was actually 

Jason, in Season 4's Tick, Tick, Tick, Boom.

I don't know if it was stated outright, but I think early on there were hints here and there. For instance, I remember Sookie mentioning how attached Luke was to the town and his dad's old store, saying he didn't go away to college because of it. Assuming Luke is close to Lorelai's age in show and Sookie is about the same age as Lorelai, that would imply to me that Sookie knew Luke when they were both around that age. I guess the other explanation would be Sookie just picked up more on town gossip then Lorelai, but Sookie didn't seem nosy at all.

16 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I don't like Christopher, but I do think he loves Rory. I also find him weak though. My problem with Christopher and fathers (parents) like Christopher is this halfway in/halfway out thing. I get that at 16 he became a dad and may have been too young to process it. If, at some point, he felt a need to be a dad he either should have committed to being in for the long haul and if not, he should have stayed away. This part time dad thing he seemed to be doing during Rory's formative years (where he was not financially or emotionally supporting Rory) does not fly with me.

See, I think I'd actually be fonder of Christopher and believed in his love for Rory if he was really halfway in and halfway out. If he didn't do the day to day parenting or support her until he was rich, but he called a lot and visited some in Rory's childhood and he and Rory felt connected. I can see how that could even lead to more angst for Rory over time but I think it'd be a more sympathetic Christopher than we got where the vast majority of his interactions with Rory were driven by his romance with Lorelai or weirdly more pushed by (S2 spoiler)

Spoiler

Sherri  

Edited by Melancholy
12 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I can get behind the frustrations with him being half in and half out, but yeah he loves Rory.  Maybe I don't hate him because I don't see his weakness limited to his relationship with Rory.  He just lets everyone push him around for 6 seasons. He's just too goofy to hate.

6 minutes ago, HeySandyStrange said:

I don't know if it was stated outright, but I think early on there were hints here and there. For instance, I remember Sookie mentioning how attached Luke was to the town and his dad's old store, saying he didn't go away to college because of it. Assuming Luke is close to Lorelai's age in show and Sookie is about the same age as Lorelai, that would imply to me that Sookie knew Luke when they were both around that age. I guess the other explanation would be Sookie just picked up more on town gossip then Lorelai, but Sookie didn't seem nosy at all.

I took it that for many years, Lorelai was too busy raising Rory to be involved with gossip. Like was mentioned in Concert Interruptus.  Lorelai has no idea who Rachel is even though she lived there during that time.  Sookie even mentioned that she was raising Rory and couldn't be expected to know stuff during that time. The info Sookie gave was stuff that anyone could pick up if you lived there long enough.

Edited by ChlcGirl

I took it that for many years, Lorelai was too busy raising Rory to be involved with gossip. Like was mentioned in Concert Interruptus.  Lorelai has no idea who Rachel is even though she lived there during that time.  Sookie even mentioned that she was raising Rory and couldn't be expected to know stuff during that time. The info Sookie gave was stuff that anyone could pick up if you lived there long enough.

That could be true. They never outright stated that Sookie did or didn't grow up in Star's hollow, so I guess it comes down to which way you want to view it.

7 hours ago, ChlcGirl said:

It was never revealed if Chris had any siblings. I assume because of his parents attitude that he must go to Princeton and be Mr Big Shot that he was the only child they had. 

They see Rory as a problem or obstacle that interfered with their big plans for Chris. That's it. She's not a person to them. Straub even implied as much just before he and Richard got into the fight. He doesn't care how intelligent or poised Rory is, it's all about their big dreams being crushed. It's a good thing they weren't part of Rory's life if that's the kind of attitude they would have with their grandchild. 

4 hours ago, ChlcGirl said:

I can get behind the frustrations with him being half in and half out, but yeah he loves Rory.  Maybe I don't hate him because I don't see his weakness limited to his relationship with Rory.  He just lets everyone push him around for 6 seasons. He's just too goofy to hate.

Lol! That's my boy. He's kinda clueless but likable (imo, obviously). 

As much as I hate Christopher, I want to believe that he loves Rory.  I think he knows that he's supposed to love her and so he tells himself that he does and tries to make himself love her.  Kind of the way you're obligated to love some family members.  Though, I guess you could argue that isn't really love.  I'd just like to believe that some part of him deep down loves Rory.  Even if he could never be bothered to parent her or get to know her.

13 hours ago, Sweet Tee said:

I think he knows that he's supposed to love her and so he tells himself that he does and tries to make himself love her. 

Not a big Christopher fan either, but I think he genuinely loves Rory.  He just doesn't know how to show his love in terms of paying attention to her because that wasn't how he was treated as a child.  Lorelai does because she was focused on giving Rory everything she needed to grow up safe and happy.  Not that Chris should be excused from making more of an effort with Rory, but my guess is he really didn't know how to be a bigger part of Rory's life without being with Lorelai, and his efforts with Lorelai (though often misguided) came from a place of love for Rory.

Edited by shron17

I would love to believe that he loves Rory. But I have a hard time getting there simply because of how many times he has used Rory to get to Lorelai. You just don't do that if you love someone.

On 9/14/2016 at 0:25 PM, Kohola3 said:

Tristan was the first Poor Little Misunderstood Rich Boy With a Mean Daddy.  We were apparently supposed to feel sorry for him and justify his hateful behavior because of his "tragic" family situation.  Fast forward to Logan and apply the same logic.  Taken straight from the ASP book of recyclable characters.

Think this is fair and it is one of the things that put me off Logan, though overtime I got the impression he was a decent enough guy.  But its true that it does become a bit of a stereotype. And I think it weakens Rory character a bit that she falls for these guys rather than just seeing through them.  I mean at least with Logan she has a proper relationship, but just to have a random moment with Tristan just as a plot device to cause tension with her and Dean is a bit lame. 

I guess the other thing to say is that because GG is a show about growing up and Rory is one its leads, and the younger of them, then I guess the writers are showing different relationships that people tend to have when finding themselves in life. 

Just to introduce myself.  I finally started watching Gilmore Girls on UK Netflx in October having heard much hype and I'm now on season 6.  Its currently one of my favourite shows.  Its a great escapist drama, with some really live drama, but also its own unique, fun and surreal humour which makes it different from other soapy shows.  I enjoy the characters and performances a lot.  I really engage with the nerdy side of the leads, and their belief in culture and old fashioned values.  I'd probably say Lane is my favourite character. 

Edited by Keith1980
Hadn't finished posting.
12 hours ago, Keith1980 said:

Just to introduce myself.  I finally started watching Gilmore Girls on UK Netflx in October having heard much hype and I'm now on season 6.  Its currently one of my favourite shows.  Its a great escapist drama, with some really live drama, but also its own unique, fun and surreal humour which makes it different from other soapy shows.  I enjoy the characters and performances a lot.  I really engage with the nerdy side of the leads, and their belief in culture and old fashioned values.  I'd probably say Lane is my favourite character. 

Another Lane fan! Welcome :)

Lorelai will always be my favourite though there are times she makes me want to scream. Lane has been my second favourite since I watched many moons ago and it remains to this day. Of all the kids on this show, she's the one that is easiest for me to relate to. 

On 12/19/2016 at 8:18 PM, Sweet Tee said:

As much as I hate Christopher, I want to believe that he loves Rory.  I think he knows that he's supposed to love her and so he tells himself that he does and tries to make himself love her.  Kind of the way you're obligated to love some family members.  Though, I guess you could argue that isn't really love.  I'd just like to believe that some part of him deep down loves Rory.  Even if he could never be bothered to parent her or get to know her.

I think that Christopher genuinely loves her and genuinely likes her.He could have been a father that had no contact/interest in teen!baby's life, but Lorelai mentioned in the first season that he does call Rory once a week and Rory was overjoyed to see when he first returned. He wasn't a stranger to her.  He is proud of her and ashamed he didn't have more to do with it, which I suspect had something to do with his distance from her, he felt he wasn't good enough for her. My sister once told me that she thought 35 is a time of "healing" for a lot of guys, for them to settle down and get married, and Christopher was 32 when he first born turned 16, so by the time he really thought better of it, Rory was getting ready to go off to college. 

On 1/9/2017 at 3:42 AM, hippielamb said:

Another Lane fan! Welcome :)

Lorelai will always be my favourite though there are times she makes me want to scream. Lane has been my second favourite since I watched many moons ago and it remains to this day. Of all the kids on this show, she's the one that is easiest for me to relate to. 

Thank-you!  I would go along with that.  Lorelai would be my favourite character mostly because of Graham's performance and because of the character's core values.  But yeah Lane would be a close second.  A really cool and down to earth character and very progressive for a Korean character on a US show.