Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1

• Start Topic

So this is season 1 - 2 cusp but in besides proposing to her during a fight (and I think he didn't really propose like "will you marry me?" More like "we should get married", which to me is a little different) max didn't actually say the words during the 100 million daisies scene either. The timing on that is weird--is it supposed to be late at night? Early morning? Maybe a weekend? Lor is at the inn but Max is at his apartment, nitpick anyway. But Lorelai sees the daisies and calls max, but he never actually proposes then either. Would it have been that hard for him to say, Lorelai Gilmore, will you marry me? In person, not on the phone. I actually really like that episode Luke especially with his reaction in the diner to the proposal and the crazy townies following Rory and Lorelai to the diner en masse.

A tiny unrelated nitpick is...they stated Rory "finished" her sophomore year in the "top 3%" but like...something about that kind of rubs me the wrong way.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this is season 1 - 2 cusp but in besides proposing to her during a fight (and I think he didn't really propose like "will you marry me?" More like "we should get married", which to me is a little different) max didn't actually say the words during the 100 million daisies scene either. .

Hundred million - LOL

Max was a should kind of guy, I think. Didn't he "should" Lorelai about going out etc?

Come to think of it, didn't Jackson do the same?

Does that mean Lorelai was the only one who asked? At least before season seven which doesn't count as ASP content.

Now I'd like to hear Amy and Dan's engagement story.

It's sad that Emily thinks the only way to Lorelai is through money but that's the only thing she has. If she had tried a different route when the girls were younger she could have a different relationship with Lorelai and wouldn't have missed Rory's childhood. But then we wouldn't have much of a show to watch.

That scene always gets me. First Emily, you see the fear she has that if Lorelai gets the money, she'd

never seen her daughter again. It is so sad that she truly believes that's all she has. I really wish she

had tried a different route before this moment. Or considered going a different route after this moment.

Really tried to build a real relationship with her daughter. The second thing is the look on Richard's face

after Emily tells him they'll never see Lorelai again if she gets the money. Just for a moment you see

Richard worried too.

Max and Lorelai broke up, then hooked up again and decided to just have "talking dates" to work out their problems. I mean, weren't their issues that he was a teacher and Lorelai a student's mom? When they started to date again, that didn't change, so how did they work out their problems?

Max and Lorelai broke up, then hooked up again and decided to just have "talking dates" to work out their problems. I mean, weren't their issues that he was a teacher and Lorelai a student's mom? When they started to date again, that didn't change, so how did they work out their problems?

That has always bugged me too.  Like, a lot.

Unless they thought the real issue was that they weren't hiding their relationship well enough, LOL, it doesn't make any sense at all.

Yes, i think Christopher was the only one who actually legitimately proposed to her

I did a quick search of most transcripts, and Jackson and Max did the "should get married" thing. Christopher did the demand "marry me" without ever making it a request.

Only Lorelai and Zach in season six used "will you marry me?"

Moving back onto specifically season one topics, Max and Lorelai never worked on their problems after getting engaged. When it came to the little things, Lorelai acquiesced, like the keys, but simply continued to do what she wanted to do. On the big things, like Rory, she just refused.

I found Max to be too demanding during the whole relationship, even though Lorelai was the one not trying to forge a marriage-worthy bond. He should have backed off, because I think he knew she wasn't really into the marriage level commitment.

And why did neither of them just say "Look, we have a good thing here, and we're grown ups... so let's put this 'dating' part on hold for a couple of years, until Rory graduates"? They could have acted like mature adult friends, been in each other's orbits, exchanged emails or phone calls getting to know each other, without creating the drama of having all of Rory's school mates discover her mother's been sleeping with the English teacher. 

I've never understood why it was so hard to contemplate that two adults who understand how the world works would insist that they must have a relationship right now, as opposed to putting things on the back burner for just a little while. Kids grow up fast. 2 years is not a long time.

Right... drama. That's why. There'd be no story if Lorelai and Max weren't idiots about it.

That scene always gets me. First Emily, you see the fear she has that if Lorelai gets the money, she'd

never seen her daughter again. It is so sad that she truly believes that's all she has. I really wish she

had tried a different route before this moment. Or considered going a different route after this moment.

Really tried to build a real relationship with her daughter. The second thing is the look on Richard's face

after Emily tells him they'll never see Lorelai again if she gets the money. Just for a moment you see

Richard worried too.

I love Richard's reactions too. He's less obvious than Emily but it's there in the little moments. While this is a show about mothers and daughters, I have always had a preference for Richard and Lorelai's relationship. It's distant but he doesn't push the issue like Emily.

Last season one rewatch episode...

Love, Daisies and Troubadours

Another really fun episode. I don't hate Max, but never liked him much since I wanted Luke for Lorelai (as intended, I'm sure). But he had some good moments this episode. I LOVE the ring pops....those are so Rory and Lorelai and Max's greatest moment on the show, IMO. And Lorelai sneaking a suck on the ring during the town meeting....love it. Max's face off with Luke is well done.

Luke escaping by fixing Lorelai's house is a cute bit....the funniest part being when the audience doesn't know yet that he's on the roof and she wanders out there to ask him a question during her auto body guy discussion with Rory.

I think Rory's scene as a Girl Scout is pretty funny (had vs. has is a very important distinction in that situation) but it is sort of sad that she scared poor Clara.

Random nitpick...saying we don't keep milk in the house when you were just drinking some during the auto body guy discussion? Strange.

How could I forget....ennui....Sookie being "cured" immediately when she comes up with "offui" as the opposite....perfect!

Love, Daisies and Troubadours

This is quite possibly the sweetest episode of the series. From Lane's adorableness while talking about going matrix on the cheerleader, to the daisy scene, to the final scene of the girls running together. It fills me with glee.

I think Lorelai was enjoying seeing Max and Luke bicker over her. I still think it's crazy to propose marriage over a argument. Fighting over who has slept with whom? Seriously? It feels like he is insecure of their relationship and threatened by her friendship with Luke. Not a good reason to get married, imo. I did like that the proposal phone call was a nice throwback to their phone call in the beginning of the episode, which was sweet and flirty.

I noticed the milk thing too, cantbeflapped. I guess we are supposed to take Lorelai's statement as hyperbole.

(edited)

Am currently doing a rewatch of GG in preparation for the 4 mini movies. 

Just finished Season 1 and I forgot SO MUCH stuff. A lot of the episodes I don't think I had seen since they had originally aired. 

The first season was fantastic. All the relationships were well developed. Dean & Rory were adorable (I disliked him a lot in the later seasons) I seemed to have forgotten about how innocent & sweet their relationship was at the beginning. 

I also forgot how Luke & Lorelai's chemistry was there right off the bat- and there was this pull and tug right from the get go. 

Emily & Loreali's relationship was one of my favorites throughout all the seasons and you can tell how similar they are but also how drastically unsimilar they are (if that makes sense) haha. They are both quick as a whip and smart, and know exactly what to say to rile the other one up. They are both prideful and can't let go of the past. But they love each other in their weird way. They just have such a fantastically written dynamic. 

And of course Loreali & Rory--love the two of them. 

I really like Max & Loreali together- its probably because I really like Scott Cohen. Haha. 

I'm glad I'm doing this rewatch- its a pleasure to revisit these characters after all these years. 

Onto Season 2!!!

Edited by SiobhanJW

I caught a bit of Concert Interruptus yesterday and during the scene where Rory and Lane are sorting through the donated goods, Lorelai offers snacks with "who wants cheese?" Lane does so Lorelai goes back to the kitchen and gets her a handful of...Kraft singles. It's nothing special, certainly, but it's one of those throwaway moments that made their world seem real. There was another in Rory's Dance when Lorelai is about to hairspray the hell out of Rory's hair. Sookie had brought them food earlier which was sitting nearby and Lorelai told Rory to "shield the tacos" and Rory shoves them under the coffee table. It's the sort of thing real people do but shows forget about.

Unfortunately as the show went on they stopped doing those moments.

I also really loved how they used to kiss hello and goodbye. Rory and Lorelai, but also Lorelai and Sookie. It just seemed like such a warm, familial, female thing to do, and something I do with my sisters and friends. Watching the reruns makes it apparent that they stopped and I missed it. 

What would you guys name as your very favorite episodes from this season? Least favorite?! 

I'm loving S1 so much this time around. It can be too twee, too unsubtle, too filled with Max and Dean, but there's just so much to adore about it! Contrary to what probably think, I really do want to like Luke and am thrilled to be able to enjoy Luke and his chemistry with Lorelai this first season :) Rory is pretty awesome this first season, still rigid and sheltered and socially awkward but a little sharper, snarkier and more confident and self-possessed than later on. This first season features most of my favorite Lorelai/Sookie moments of the series, and I love watching her and Jackson get together. The whole season is just so warm and sweet and funny and charming and rewatchable, with mercifully little of what I dislike about later seasons :) 

Well I love Forgiveness and Stuff, I also really enjoy Cinnamon's Wake. The way the town rallied around Babette and Morey. Rory's solidarity with Morey on not eating the clams was very sweet. I think my favorite Lorelai/Babette scene was when they were in the kitchen talking. Babette saying she didn't think she would find anyone to love.

I am not a fan of The Deer Hunters. I never liked Tristian as I felt he was a spoiled rich kid with too much attitude. Plus Paris really was mean there. Wasn't a big fan of her in the beginning. 

I think my favorite S1 episodes are still Rory's Birthday Parties and Double Date, though I've grown to really love That Damn Donna Reed and Concert Interruptus and have always had an inexplicable affection for The Third Lorelai :) 

The s1 episodes I'm most apt to skip are P.S. I Lo...  (I'll spare you guys another rant about why I dislike this one!), Rory's Dance, Kill Me Now and Llove, Daisies and Troubadours.

I used to be decidedly 'eh' on Kiss and Tell but have grown fonder of it. On the flip side, I used to LOVE The Lorelais' First day at Chilton and will always have a soft spot for it, but I don't love it quite as much as I used to.  

16 hours ago, amensisterfriend said:

What would you guys name as your very favorite episodes from this season? Least favorite?! 

I'm loving S1 so much this time around. It can be too twee, too unsubtle, too filled with Max and Dean, but there's just so much to adore about it! Contrary to what probably think, I really do want to like Luke and am thrilled to be able to enjoy Luke and his chemistry with Lorelai this first season :) Rory is pretty awesome this first season, still rigid and sheltered and socially awkward but a little sharper, snarkier and more confident and self-possessed than later on. This first season features most of my favorite Lorelai/Sookie moments of the series, and I love watching her and Jackson get together. The whole season is just so warm and sweet and funny and charming and rewatchable, with mercifully little of what I dislike about later seasons :) 

Lol you drank the season 1 kool-aid. ;) It's hard to pick a favourite, as I love most of these episodes. The season 1 finale, Cinnamon's Wake, and Christopher Returns are ones I repeatedly rewatch. Love & War & Snow is great on many levels. I also like Richard and Rory bonding at the country club, and her goofy hat in Kill Me Now. The issues that comes from Rory liking the world that Lorelai ran away from is so simple yet it's done well. They really set up a major conflict of the show with that episode.

Cinnamon's Wake, I think is my favourite because of it's focus on the community of Stars Hollow. There's something so warm about it. I think it represents what season 1 is about.

The one I somewhat dislike is Forgiveness and Stuff. I don't care for the whole plot, it feels like something we have seen on other shows. Like it's a very special Gilmore girls or something. I don't care for how they are trying to shove the Luke/Lorelai thing at us. And Rory and Lorelai have almost no scenes together, which makes it sub-par in my book. Maybe I am being too hard on it. We get that great hospital scene between Emily and Richard, Lorelai eating salad out of a bag, the Dean and Lorelai window scene, Lorelai telling Rory she's the daughter of someone who was made plenty of mistakes, and the final scene of a xmassy Stars Hollow is so pretty. It's not all bad. But it's one I rarely rewatch.

Hippielamb, I thought I was the only GG fan not in love with Forgiveness and Stuff! Most would name it as an all time favorite, and while I definitely see why, it's not one that I rewatch all that often either. I've grown to like and appreciate it a lot more, but I agree that it has kind of a heavy handed, melodramatic, 'lifetime movie of the week' feel that seems out of place for a show that usually (in its earlier seasons!) specializes in wringing humor and poignancy from such subtle, daily events rather than relying on typical ' major crises bring everyone back together!' cliche. It just feels really overwrought for a GG episode, though it does have a ton of great moments. 

Something has always bugged me about the pilot episode, and I've never seen it addressed. I'd love to hear others thoughts about it.

Many years ago, when my daughter was starting school, I hoped to enroll her in a private school. This was during the time when the internet was still in its infancy, so private school information wasn't necessarily available online (as it likewise wouldn't have been when Rory applied to Chilton), so I had to call the schools and request they send me information. Each school sent me a large packet which included extensive information regarding financial responsibilities, financial aid, total costs, payment arrangements and due dates. In other words, this information was known before one even took the step to apply to the school.

So, Lorelai acting as if 1) she had no idea what Chilton cost, and 2) when she'd be expected to make payment - is totally unbelievable to me. Why in the world would Lorelai encourage Rory to apply to Chilton in the first place, if she had no idea how she was going to pay for it should she be accepted?

This really makes no sense to me at all.

3 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

This really makes no sense to me at all.

It doesn't make any sense in "real world" terms, certainly.  

If Lorelai was the only player here I could fanwank that she just blew off all the big, scary paperwork until she realized Rory had actually been accepted, but there is NO WAY Rory wouldn't have had every single thing they needed to do memorized beforehand, down to accounting for every penny needed to pay for the tuition.

I think we just have to accept it and move on, heh.

...What Taryn said :) Personally, I just view Gilmore Girls as taking place in kind of a deliberately exaggerated, slightly surreal parallel universe for the sake of my blood pressure! That's especially true when it comes to the depiction of pretty much anything involving finances, socioeconomic class, etc.  

Yeap, AS-P's take on finances depends on what plot line she's pursuing and has no basis in reality or consistency. You make yourself crazy if you think about it too much. The charm of the show for me is the dialogue and quirky characters.

Personally, I just view Gilmore Girls as taking place in kind of a deliberately exaggerated, slightly surreal parallel universe for the sake of my blood pressure! That's especially true when it comes to the depiction of pretty much anything involving finances, socioeconomic class, etc.  

I neglected to add that this same radical suspension of disbelief is necessary (IMO, obviously) when it comes to the show's depiction of the legal system, American education, the way that allegedly sane and high functioning adults routinely behave in public, basic biological rules of how many calories one can possibly consume per day while remaining a size 2, geography, the idea that all teens we encounter are completely fluent in all obscure pop culture references dating back several decades before they were born, absolutely anything involving logical and consistent timelines...etc., etc. etc. :)

And yet somehow Lorelai having literally not one article of clothing to wear for even an hour or two other than that absurd Daisy Duke outfit in TLFDAC and then agreeing to take off her coat while in the headmaster's office so that everyone could see it still bugs me most of all ;) 

Edited by amensisterfriend
1 hour ago, amensisterfriend said:

And yet somehow Lorelai having literally not one article of clothing to wear for even an hour or two other than that absurd Daisy Duke outfit in TLFDAC and then agreeing to take off her coat while in the headmaster's office so that everyone could see it still bugs me most of all ;) 

Ha ha ha, yes.

I saw a woman in Whole Foods the other week dressed the same way, cowboy boots, really short denim shorts and a similar shirt. I decided it must have been intentional GG imitation, because she looked ridiculous.

6 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

It doesn't make any sense in "real world" terms, certainly.  

If Lorelai was the only player here I could fanwank that she just blew off all the big, scary paperwork until she realized Rory had actually been accepted, but there is NO WAY Rory wouldn't have had every single thing they needed to do memorized beforehand, down to accounting for every penny needed to pay for the tuition.

I think we just have to accept it and move on, heh.

And this is precisely why I could never, ever be a scriptwriter. I simply couldn't allow anything I wrote to go out filled with so many logical inconsistencies - it would literally drive me batty. Not to mention, inconsistencies in the storylines, as many have mentioned in these threads. I always wondered why ASP didn't keep some sort of log or something for each character to refer to, so those types of inconsistences wouldn't occur so frequently.

But then I remember there are time constraints; scripts have to be finished by a deadline. I don't know how long writers have to produce a script for a one-hour program (does anyone else know?) but I'm sure that is part of the problem.

I wonder if, when watching the episodes, ASP then realizes she's made mistakes posters here have noticed? Do I hear some groaning coming from the Palladino household?

3 hours ago, readster said:

Yes, that was too much even back then. I was like: "This is the headmaster and a very good prep school and you wear that?" 

I guess I am the only one not bothered by that. Lorelai threw on the quickest thing she could find because Rory was doing the annoying countdown thing. Also, Rory knew what her mom was wearing and still insisted she go meet the headmaster. It's to illustrate the juvenile acting mom with the responsible teenager. I'm reminded on a scene in Torch Song Trilogy when the teenager has to call his dad and he shows up at school wearing bunny slippers. I thought it was funny in both instances. Of course, I used to wear my pj's to drop my kids off at school so maybe that influences my opinion. 

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I saw a woman in Whole Foods the other week dressed the same way, cowboy boots, really short denim shorts and a similar shirt. I decided it must have been intentional GG imitation, because she looked ridiculous.

Lorelai was ahead of her time. I see people wearing all sorts of questionable things that make her cutoffs look downright demure. 

9 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

But then I remember there are time constraints; scripts have to be finished by a deadline. I don't know how long writers have to produce a script for a one-hour program (does anyone else know?) but I'm sure that is part of the problem.

I wonder if, when watching the episodes, ASP then realizes she's made mistakes posters here have noticed? Do I hear some groaning coming from the Palladino household?

The monstrous egos they had would have prevented them from acknowledging their mistakes.  They write a lot about people in denial, and I think it was possibly autobiographical, because they were control freaks when it came to show running.

They egoistically poison-polled their own creation, with the main reason I heard being the "fact" that they weren't allowed to hire writers to help them.  There are however, over 30 writers credited on the show, so something is fishy about that claim.

What they needed to do was have a continuity editor who was actually allowed to fix things.

5 hours ago, junienmomo said:

The monstrous egos they had would have prevented them from acknowledging their mistakes.  They write a lot about people in denial, and I think it was possibly autobiographical, because they were control freaks when it came to show running.

They egoistically poison-polled their own creation, with the main reason I heard being the "fact" that they weren't allowed to hire writers to help them.  There are however, over 30 writers credited on the show, so something is fishy about that claim.

What they needed to do was have a continuity editor who was actually allowed to fix things.

"Continuity editor"? That's a thing? (See how little I know about scriptwriting?) Now that's a career that sounds fascinating to me. A continuity editor's sole responsibility, then, is to ensure characters and scripts don't contradict themselves in terms of established personality traits (without cause), storylines, etc.? I don't see why any scriptwriter or scriptwriting team would object to having someone bring to their attention those kinds of issues. IMO, eliminating as many inconsistencies as possible would only serve to make the scriptwriters look better. But what do I know?

6 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

"Continuity editor"? That's a thing? (See how little I know about scriptwriting?) Now that's a career that sounds fascinating to me. A continuity editor's sole responsibility, then, is to ensure characters and scripts don't contradict themselves in terms of established personality traits (without cause), storylines, etc.? I don't see why any scriptwriter or scriptwriting team would object to having someone bring to their attention those kinds of issues. IMO, eliminating as many inconsistencies as possible would only serve to make the scriptwriters look better. But what do I know?

It's a thing. 

Read this job description. GG really needed one or at least a better one. Not an easy job, but I can't imagine any job in TV is easy.

http://www.startintv.com/jobs/script-supervisorcontinuity-supervisor.php

4 hours ago, junienmomo said:

It's a thing. 

Read this job description. GG really needed one or at least a better one. Not an easy job, but I can't imagine any job in TV is easy.

http://www.startintv.com/jobs/script-supervisorcontinuity-supervisor.php

Thank you so much for this! I read the entire page. I was aware of the task of maintaining visual continuity as I was an extra on a film once, but I had no idea of all the other responsibilities of a script supervisor. Absolutely fascinating, and I'm putting it on my list of "things to do" for my next life (I'm not sure about the whole "reincarnation" thing, but I'm preparing just in case). Although with having "supermodel," "prima ballerina," and "astronaut" already on my list, it may be hard to work "script supervisor/continuity supervisor" in - but maybe people will be living to 150 by then. I hope.

So, I'm working my way through the series. The last time I saw any of the show was when it was airing (I was 6/7 when the show first aired so I only remember the later seasons better), so it's been over a decade since watching this. And I will say how amazing season 1 is. There are so many moments that work very, very well.

The relationship of the Gilmores is pretty great. Emily/Lorelai's dynamic flows so well throughout the first season. They really go through a lot of change. Richard's relationship with Lorelai is even explored; the most introverted man whose outbursts only happen in business meetings changes in Christopher Returns. And, of course, Lorelai and Rory's relationship just is so real to life. I share a different relationship with family, but I can just feel the love between Rory and Lorelai and that never changes, even when they fight.

I liked Dean a lot this season. I remember not liking him much years ago when I watched the later seasons, but season 1 had him work fairly well. It was nice to see Rory go through all the stages of her first relationship and I think Dean building Rory a car was one of the best presents anyone got anyone on the show. I also felt bad for him after their break up, when Lorelai's threat came true. It sucks because he's the new kid, so he's the outsider. Even if Rory had broken up with him, I'm not sure how accepted he'd be with the town. Unfortunately, his reaction to Rory not saying anything after his "I love you" felt all too real, at least in TV Land. Sometimes people just need time to process something like that and teens aren't exactly taught that not saying it back right away isn't a bad thing. However, if Dean's arc had ended with that, I wouldn't have been disappointed. This relationship in this season felt like it was more about Rory's growth with her first, well, "firsts" than anything. But then we got some Dean/Lane scenes, which not only showed Dean as a more three dimensional character, but it showed that Lane doesn't need all her scenes to be with just Rory or even just Lorelai.

I liked Max this season. He was demanding and pushy, and I didn't love that him and Lorelai couldn't seem to act like mature adults and be in the same room without jumping each other, but he wasn't a bad guy. 

And Christopher. Oh, Christopher. I mean, I can see that he had crappy parents and he took a different direction than Lorelai did. Both are estranged from their family, they want to get away from the rich and lavish lifestyle, and they've both made mistakes. I'm sure my opinion will change of him as I rewatch his episodes, but I kind of see that he's not the worst guy ever. Ok, the leaving Rory thing is totally bad and that sucks, and the 'proposal' scene wasn't ideal, but I see him as someone who never grew up and never learned how to be a better person. Although he really should have, because they have a sixteen year old daughter.    

I did like Rachel, for some reason. If she hadn't have been Luke's ex, I think Lorelai could have gained a really great friendship with Rachel. 

The one character I disliked the most out of all of them, even Christopher and Max, would be Tristan. I didn't find myself feeling sorry for him much at all. His leering and obsession with Rory creeped me out. Everything he did felt disingenuous, and it was clear everything he did was so he could be with Rory. Even his short term relationship with Summer was a ploy for Rory. Even if he did end up liking her before she dumped him, I just thought that he was a slimy jerk. Maybe he deserved some pity and some comfort there, which Rory provided, but I never really felt for him after that piano scene. 

Rory's friendship with Lane was great. Lane in this first season worked well. But I think I love Rory's friendship with Paris the best. This season had then definite frenemies, but I liked that they didn't just become friends or weren't stuck as mortal enemies.

Sookie was just a fabulous character in this season. I'm not a fan really of Melissa McCarthy's work nowadays, but I remember loving her here and now I can see why. Also, loved her and Jackson together. 

As for favourite episodes, I'm still kind of debating. I definitely love Cinnamon's Wake because it really showed the town joining together in an event that has nothing to do with the town itself or holidays. Rory's Birthday Parties because we got to see Rory get a taste of what Lorelai had to deal with as a child and she got to not only flip out on Emily, but she also got Emily to see what a real birthday party was like. Forgiveness and Stuff is good, but I totally agreed that it's the first episode that felt heavy handled like a Very Special Episode. Luke's characterization felt a little forced, BUT I loved the budding relationship between him and Lorelai, and we got to see a different side to him as he interacted with Emily. Also, we saw a softer side to Emily and we got to see Lorelai be the strong supporter for her family through this event. Double Date, Concert Interruptus, and That Damn Donna Reed are episodes that definitely worked well. I really like all three of them, although I'm not as in love with Double Date as some of you other guys are. And, of course, The Third Lorelai is a very good episode. 

Episodes that I didn't like much definitely include Kill Me Now because Lorelai was not showing her best colours. It worked well to see her growth, but the fact that she was so jealous of Rory's relationship with her grandparents that she almost missed out on an opportunity to see her daughter happy to have family. It just didn't sit right to see Lorelai like this, especially not after finishing the first season. I only liked certain aspects of Rory's Dance, if only to see a caring Emily for about two scenes. I also didn't really like Love And War And Snow. I mean, it was ok, but not a favourite in any way and not one I'd jump to rewatch. Paris is Burning is also far from a favourite. 

Basically, there aren't really any episodes that I really hate to watch; more like uninteresting ones. 

I will say that apparently in Stars Hollow, time works differently, in that it can be as bright as if it's 10am when it's 5:30am, AND places can be open as early as 6am. Man, Luke must not get a lot of sleep if he has to be up and have the diner running by 6am without any other employees. 

Also, something I noted is that Rory's birthday on Wikipedia says that it's October, but I deduced that it had to be in November, just by a few things throughout the season. But I might be wrong.

Tristan is a character that hasn't aged well. Or rather, doesn't withstand many rewatches, imo. He's fine if you catch a random episode. Maybe even appealing. But when you binge-watch the show then you get the full power of how utterly annoying he is to Rory.

I know this will propagate an avalanche of reasons why I am wrong but I see no difference between Tristan and Logan.   Both spoiled rich boys thumbing their noses at authority, pulling childish pranks and expecting daddy's lawyers to make it right.  Both thinking "Mary/Ace" will think their antics are charming. A pox on both of them.

On 5/22/2016 at 11:02 PM, SiobhanJW said:

Am currently doing a rewatch of GG in preparation for the 4 mini movies. 

The first season was fantastic. All the relationships were well developed. Dean & Rory were adorable (I disliked him a lot in the later seasons) I seemed to have forgotten about how innocent & sweet their relationship was at the beginning. 

I also forgot how Luke & Lorelai's chemistry was there right off the bat- and there was this pull and tug right from the get go. 

Just started my rewatch this weekend - agreed! I love the pilot with "Are you my new daddy?" 

But had also forgotten L&L circling each other so early - "what do you think of Luke?"  "...No. NONONONONO. Go date Al from Al's Pancake World. He has horrible food."

Wow, but Emily was a shrew. (she said with love.)

Kill Me Now is my favorite episode of season one. It sets the stage/tone for the rest of the show in so many ways. Rory enjoying the country club, Lorelai hating and being jealous that Rory is getting close to her Grandparents and comfortable lifestyle. It isn't a feel good episode but I think it is a good window into what the shows underlying themes are.

Saw the pilot after years and forgot how obnoxious Sookie was. So glad they toned down her being so accident prone after the pilot because it was so annoying and would have gotten old fast.

Loved the L/L banter from the beginning. I started watching this show end of season one but their chemistry is what pulled me in initially. 

Edited by twoods
8 hours ago, twoods said:

So glad they toned down [Sookie] being so accident prone after the pilot because it was so annoying and would have gotten old fast.

Yeah, it was good for a laugh (MM is just such a natural at the physical comedy) but it would have gotten old pretty quick.

Loving the season 1 rewatch- I forgot how enjoyable some of the episodes are. Skipped the deer one because it was ridiculous, but Cinnamon's Wake and Rory's birthday episode was nice. It's a little creepy how the whole town dotes on Rory, but it had some nice Lorelai and Emily scenes. 

I watched Double Date last night.  Speaking of MM's physical comedy, I loved the bit where she calls Jackson to set up a date while she waves the spoon around with her other hand.  It's the little things.  And Lorelai/Mrs. Kim scenes are always good.

7 minutes ago, shron17 said:

I watched Double Date last night.  Speaking of MM's physical comedy, I loved the bit where she calls Jackson to set up a date while she waves the spoon around with her other hand.  It's the little things.  And Lorelai/Mrs. Kim scenes are always good.

The "Hi, hi, hi..." exchange always makes me laugh as well. :D